Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Sojourn ❯ PHASE 00 Prologue: Aftermath ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn (0/?)
Author: Paola
Disclaimer: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn is based on characters and situations that belong to Sotsu Agency, Bandai Studios, and TV Asashi (and other production affiliates that have the right of ownership). No money is being made, and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Considerations: Similarities to other stories/events/passages are purely coincidental unless otherwise cited.

“Today we still yearn to know why we are here and where we came from. Humanity’s deepest desire for knowledge is justification enough for our continuing quest. And our goal is nothing less than a complete description of the universe we live in.”
- Stephen Hawking

PHASE 00
Prologue: Aftermath

Kira floated around the anti-gravity of space. He figured he was disengaged from the Freedom as it was rocked to a great extent and was now a wreck after fighting the Providence until total destruction. Rau Le Crueset was dead, almost a sign in itself that the fatal racism that led to the event of futile killings and ruthless warring was no more. Those advocacies of preserving just one race were proven notional, because in the end, they all had to live with one another---because in the end, they were all still humans.
He moved his head, grunting at the effort it surprisingly took. There around him were wreckages of mobile suits, mobile armors, ships, Jachin Due, and the Genesis. Scraps of metal floated innocently around him, seemingly used in non-destructive innovations, though he knew better. Man’s greatest inventions stripped to nothing but useless scraps.
But those little things faded into insignificance because the war was finally over.
The Genesis had been destroyed, and a proclamation for an official ceasefire was issued. There had been too many casualties. Too many lives had been taken; either intended or collateral, it didn’t matter. Many opportunities had been wasted, and too many mistakes had been done, but those were in the past. For now, peace reigned, in space and on Earth. It was such a novelty, and it sounded almost foreign to Kira.
In the corner of his eyes, he could see a small device drawing nearer. He had a hard time recognizing it at first, but as it got closer, he saw that it was Birdie, and not far behind was a dismantled mobile suit. Relief flooded him and overwhelmed his senses when the all too familiar forms of Cagalli and Athrun made it to his line of sight.
They were alive, and by the feel of it, so were the rest of the crew of the three ships. He knew there were casualties on their side of the battle, too, but for now, he would like to think that most of them made it through, for his own peace of mind.
Tears sprang to his eyes, wafting around the interior of his helmet as soon as they had escaped his heavy lids. Athrun and Cagalli were very close now, and he could see that the both of them were crying, too. Crying because of happiness, because, finally, they were reaping the fruits of the seeds they had sown. The war showed everyone---Naturals and Coordinators alike---that everyone was equal. That no one had the right to take the life of another just because of the bias towards or against the other’s race.
“It’s our world,” he whispered to himself, finally feeling the big burden being lifted off his chest. He smiled as he spied the smiles playing on his sister and best friend’s lips. He wanted to reach his hand over, but he couldn’t move. He was very tired. He saw Athrun reach out for him then everything else was a blur.
o-o
“Clear the hangar for the docking of the Strike Rouge!” Kisaka barked, hurrying his men to accommodate his charge’s mobile suit.
The maintenance and mechanical crew scurried about the Kusanagi’s hangar, trying to clear a path for the princess’s Gundam---or what was left of it. They worked as fast as they could and had gotten the track ready even before the Strike Rouge came within meters distance.
Kisaka watched the entrance intently, seeing the speck of metal become bigger as it came closer. He was in an overlooking room above the hangar, and he was getting impatient at the wait. Kisaka usually held a high forbearance, but after being scared to death by the possible death of Cagalli a while ago, he couldn’t wait any longer to make sure himself that his precious charge was alive and all right.
As soon as the Strike Rouge entered the ship, Kisaka bolted out of the room and was already at the platform even before the Gundam properly landed. He assisted Kira out of the cockpit, then Athrun, then Cagalli last, as she was the one piloting it. He enveloped her in a hug the moment she took off her helmet, and he was almost in tears when she hugged him back.
“I’m fine, Kisaka,” she assured him.
He let her go and kept his eyes on her as she staggered towards Kira and Athrun, the former with an arm around the latter’s shoulders for support, as he was barely able to stand on his own. He could almost feel the waves of exhaustion seeping off of the teenagers in front of him, and he couldn’t help but feel sorry for them. For their age, they truly did experience a lot.
o-o
Kira disengaged himself from his best friend to try to support his own weight. He didn’t want them to worry so he was trying to appear like he was all right, when, in fact, he could feel his bones turn to jelly just attempting to stand on his own. The last battle had sucked all of his strength, and all he wanted to do was lie down and rest.
Just rest.
He smiled weakly at the blonde princess, all the while wobbling on his feet. There was no need to fight anymore.
Rest.
That was what he wanted. He had fought with all that he had. He had given everything to the last fight. He could feel the exhaustion tugging at his eyelids and hammering away at his tired mind. It would feel good if he just succumbed to the fatigue that was weighing him down, but he didn’t want to worry them. Never wanted to worry them.
He watched Cagalli walk towards him, her smile never brighter, her eyes never happier. Were they all feeling the same way she was feeling? If he had the strength to look towards Athrun, would he see the same thing? If he had the strength to observe the people around him right now, would he spy the telltale signs of such happiness? He wanted to know, but, right now, he was just too exhausted. He had never felt so drained in his entire life.
“Kira!”
The panic-stricken voice of his sister was the last thing he heard before his world went black.

-To Be Continued…

A/N:
Please leave a review. I'd be glad to hear from my readers. C'mon...i'll give you lemon drops! Wink.