Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Sojourn ❯ PHASE 03 A Chance at Life: Part Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn (3/?)
Author: Paola
Disclaimer: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn is based on characters and situations that belong to Sotsu Agency, Bandai Studios, and TV Asashi (and other production affiliates that have the right of ownership). No money is being made, and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Considerations: Similarities to other stories/events/passages are purely coincidental unless otherwise cited.

“Three grand essentials to happiness in
this life are something to do, something
to love, and something to hope for.”
- Joseph Addison

PHASE 03
A Chance at Life: Part Three

Miriallia wandered the empty halls of the Archangel. She had left Sai in the mess hall a few minutes ago, and now, she had nothing to do. She didn’t even know why she took her leave of him. Sai was a welcome presence, but she suddenly got the impulse to get herself excused. Now, floating along the hall aimlessly, she regretted being alone. She shouldn’t be alone, because then, she’d never stop thinking.
Tolle.
The first few days of knowing that he was gone were terribly painful, but she was surprised at how she got used to the pain. It was a reminder that she was still human…that she hadn’t lost herself in the war. It was a twisted complacency, but she couldn’t help feeling it.
Miriallia suddenly halted her inertia in mid-air as she found her hand flying to her chest. Her heart was beating a few beats faster, but she couldn’t tell why. She wasn’t sick, that she was sure of, but what was it that she was feeling?
What the…?
She gulped hard. Not knowing what else to do about her condition, she drifted forward, having in mind to go to the infirmary. She might not be sick---just like what she believed in---but who knew?
After a few moments of silence and floating forwards, she could feel her heart rate returning to normal. She was relieved beyond belief.
When she turned around the corner, she found herself being wafted backwards as she hit someone. Looking up, she was glad to see her friend. “Kira!”
Kira’s eyes widened, and upon focusing on her, he broke into a grin. “Hey, Mir!”
She beamed at him warmly and threw herself at him in a hug. Just like how old friends would. “You’re okay!”
Kira laughed, and Miriallia smiled at the happiness that resonated from his action. She felt him return the embrace. “Yeah. I’m as fine as I could get! And you?”
“Oh, Kira.” She shook her head as though he’d asked her such a silly question. “Of course I’m all right!”
Kira held her by the shoulders and looked at her for a moment before his eyes glazed over. Miriallia knew what…or whom he was referring to. Sometimes, the chance to dwell on certain things they weren’t able to deal with back in the war wasn’t always very appreciated. The euphoria brought about by the end of war was marred with thoughts that lingered on guilt, death, and depression, and Miriallia now didn’t know whether to be thankful or not. She bit her lip. That last realization was frightening for her.
“Mir…you know what I mean. How are you? Really.”
Miriallia felt the familiar sting in her eyes; nonetheless, she was startled to find a few droplets of wetness wafting about the anti-gravity.
She felt Kira envelope her in a comforting hug, and heard him whisper, “We all miss Tolle, Mir. He will never be forgotten.”
Miriallia unconsciously tightened her embrace. “Kira…Tolle…I want him back, Kira. B-but I know…I know that’s impossible,” she whispered in a wavering voice. “It still hurts, Kira. It still hurts.” They stayed in a hug for a few silent minutes. All the while, Miriallia tried to control herself.
With a sharp intake of breath, she pushed herself off of Kira and forced a smile on her lips. She tried to laugh and was successful in giving him a weak one. “Thanks for that, Kira.”
Miriallia watched as Kira placed a hand over his heart. “He’ll always be here, Mir, always.”
o-o
“To hell with you, Jule,” the blonde Coordinator glared at his friend who was smirking at him for all he was worth.
Yzak crossed his arms over his chest and countered in a calmer tone, “Why are you so flustered anyway, idiot? I am merely asking why you stayed with the Archangel after you were released.”
The two Coordinators were in the Infirmary. Dearka had to have his bandages renewed, and Yzak, without better things to do, went with him. Dearka doubted that the fair-head wanted to help with anything, anyway, so he didn’t bother asking him to make himself useful to the crew.
On their way to the infirmary, the former Buster pilot told his friend the entire story of his staying and siding with the Legged Ship. Yzak, though, was convinced that there was something else the blonde wasn’t telling him, and he made sure Dearka knew that.
“I told you already!”
A nurse from the opposite side of the room shushed them as they were starting to get louder.
“I meant: the real reason.” Dearka had been asking Yzak about his own reason for staying a while ago, so the pale-head was returning all his questions to avoid explaining his side of the story. Yzak himself didn’t know why he was there, but somehow, it didn’t feel so bad.
Dearka glared harder, and if looks could kill, Yzak would be dead twice over already. “If you don’t wanna believe me, then that’s your problem.”
The metal doors opened and admitted in two people from the Archangel crew. Their entrance diverted Dearka and Yzak’s attention from their former topic.
“I’ll be fine on my own, Kira.”
Dearka had his eyes glued to the speaker. It was Miriallia. Too bad he didn’t notice Yzak’s sneer.
“You sure?”
“Yeah. Now go. Lacus is somewhere in the ship.”
Both guys watched as Kira nodded and left, and Dearka, especially, looked on at the Natural’s movements.
“Miriallia,” he unconsciously called her name. He caught himself too late, and Miriallia turned her head towards his direction.
Yzak pushed himself off the wall he was leaning against. Then, turning his back to the brunette, he faced Dearka with an evil smirk playing across his lips. “Now I wonder,” he whispered sarcastically.
Dearka had a hard time trying to look annoyed when all he really felt was embarrassment. He kept his eyes on Yzak as his friend left the infirmary with a barely perceptible nod towards Miriallia’s way. He couldn’t, for some unknown reason, meet Miriallia’s gaze.
When the door swished close after Yzak’s departure, she asked in a small voice, “Yes?”
Dearka mentally hit himself on the head. Why did he have to think aloud? “Uh, are you injured?” That was lame.
She shook her head. “I came to ask the doctor something.” She cocked her head to the side and fixed him a stare. “How’s your head?”
His hand went up to his bandaged forehead as he momentarily forgot why he came to the sick bay. “It’s fine, I guess. I’m having the bandages changed.”
She nodded, noticing parts of the bandages getting crusty due to dried blood. “Yeah, it looks like it needs one,” she smiled uncertainly as she found humor in what she said.
Dearka’s heart skipped a beat. “…Yeah.”
And they were silent.
Dearka wracked his brain for something to say, but he came up blank. Try as he might, his mind seemed to refuse to cooperate, and not a single word passed his lips. He inwardly sighed in relief, however, when the way awkward silence was broken by the entrance of a medic, who took notice of Miriallia and started talking to her.
“Miss Haw, is there anything the matter?”
Miriallia’s eyes shot towards the doctor. “Huh?” she seemed dazed for a few beats, but she recovered quickly. “Oh, never mind me, doctor.” She gestured towards Dearka who was looking at them from his position on the stool. “He’s getting uncomfortable from the crusted blood.”
Dearka’s eyes were wide as saucers. He couldn’t believe it. For the second time in all the days he’d been with the Archangel, she sounded like she really, truly cared. When he dared to look her in the eye, he saw an emotion cross her beautiful orbs, but before he could decipher what it was, it was gone, and he debated whether he was imagining it or not.
Surreal.
Dearka Elsman had to try very hard to not give in to the urge to smile goofily.
“Mr. Elsman.” The doctor moved next to him and pulled out cleansing materials, a bottle of salve, and fresh gauze from the medicine chest above his head. He started to gingerly unwrap the crusted gauze then asked, “Are you feeling fine?”
The blonde Coordinator watched as Miriallia took an empty seat and busied herself with the extremely difficult task of looking down at the very interesting floor. She seemed to be avoiding his gaze, which puzzled him to no end.
“Yeah.”
“No vertigos?”
Dearka watched as she surveyed the room, eyeing every object that caught her eyes.
“Yeah.”
The doctor looked amused. “No throbbing?”
Dearka watched as she dropped her gaze again, never once meeting his eyes. She started to finger the hem of her skirt that had teasingly hiked up her thigh when she had sat down.
“Yeah.”
Unknown to Dearka, the resident medic was following his line of sight, and was smiling quite knowingly. “You like her?” the medic was referring to the Archangel CIC head.
“Yeah,” Dearka answered absent-mindedly, though he vaguely wondered why the doctor was suddenly whispering. He even managed to be curious of the sudden glint in the doctor’s eyes.
It took him a whole ten seconds before what the doctor had really said dawned on him. “Wha---? No!” he exclaimed, shaking his head in denial.
Miriallia’s head jerked up at the sudden shouting. He blushed, and upon feeling the heat on his cheeks, he wisely concluded that he was embarrassed. Damned doctor.
“Easy, lad, you’re going to bleed and get dizzy if you shake your head too much,” the medic replied way too calmly as he finished cleaning the wound and the blood stains with disinfectant. He smudged a blob of ointment on the wound with a cotton swab before wrapping a fresh strip of gauze around his forehead.
Dearka caught Miriallia’s questioning look. “Uh…he pressed a little too hard,” he lamely answered her silent inquiry.
She looked like she didn’t know what to reply to that.
“There. All done!” the medic said with a flourish, smiling like he was talking to a child. He turned towards the brown-haired Natural. “And now, Miss Haw, anything you need?”
o-o
Miriallia was slightly startled upon hearing the doctor addressing her. She brought her eyes up to him. “Uh…well, nothing really, now that I think about it.” Noticing how dumb that sounded, she blushed. Now that she really did think about it, she couldn’t come up with a reason as to why she was there. Sure, the sudden racing of her heart alarmed her, but she didn’t exactly know how she would explain that to the doctor. Maybe that was just the occasional scare. It had happened before, like she had forgotten something and couldn’t remember it. It was actually a natural phenomenon, but she didn’t expect it to happen as soon as the memory of Tolle entered her mind.
Jeez. Why did I have to be such a worrywart? Now I look stupid.
“Are you sure, Miss Haw?” the doctor asked kindly.
“Uh…yeah…”
“Okay then.” He turned towards Dearka. “You may go, Mr. Elsman.”
Dearka got up and started to leave when the doctor rounded on Miriallia and made her leave the Infirmary as well. He pushed both teenagers out the door, saying that the sick bay was for people who were really sick, hence the name.
When the Infirmary doors closed, Dearka and Miriallia found themselves in a hallway, blinking at the unexpected shove the medic gave them.
“Did you, by any chance, find that weird?” Dearka asked, his voice sounding as if he wasn’t entirely sure whether he was amused or not.
Miriallia continued to stare at the metal doors as she answered, “Yeah…”
When she looked around, she discovered the place was deserted. She stole a glance at the Coordinator floating beside her, and a shiver ran up her spine. She knew that he wouldn’t hurt her, and it wasn’t as if he could, because one wrong move and the Archangel crew would be hunting him into Kingdom come, but she felt kind of awkward around him. She didn’t know why, but she never did get to shake off the feeling.
Of all the times this hallway has to be empty, it has to be now.
She was startled out of her thoughts when she heard him speak again. “Are you sure you’re all right?” The brunette skeptically eyed him, and he scratched his head. “I mean, if you bothered to go to the Infirmary, then it must’ve been something…” he trailed off.
Miriallia wrung her fingers, suddenly very much aware of his question. “What do you care?” that came out way wrong.
Dearka raised his hands in surrender. “Jeez, I’m just asking.”
“Uh, no! I didn’t mean it like that! I mean, that’s not how it was supposed to sound,” she looked at him apologetically. Dearka just kept his eyes on her, waiting for her to continue, and she had to think fast of what to say next. “Uh, I meant, ah, don’t worry, am fine. Yeah.” Whew. He seemed satisfied with what she said so she asked the next thing that came to her mind, which wasn’t exactly what she wanted to say. “What do you plan to do now?”
Dearka looked surprised and Mirialla blushed, noting just now how curious she had sounded.
“I’m thinking of having something to eat,” he answered.
o-o
Dearka felt and heard his stomach grumble. What he said was the first thing that entered his mind, but it was also very much truthful. He hadn’t eaten anything since the end of the final battle, and the exertion was finally taking its toll. He placed a hand on his growling tummy and sheepishly smiled at the girl.
Miriallia looked amused. “Okay. I’ll, ah, go with you.”
What? Did I hear her right?
He saw a dash of pink run across her cheeks. “I mean, Sai. Sai, I left him there, and I want to see what he’s probably doing,” she rushed.
“Oh,” he just wished he didn’t sound that disappointed. Man, toughen it up! It’s not like you asked her…well, something else. Thank heavens Yzak’s not here…
“Um, okay. Let’s go?” she started to drift towards the direction of the mess hall with Dearka following right behind her.
When they entered the mess hall, it was already empty, save from the cook and some scullions behind the food counter. Miriallia touched down and walked inside, catching a bottle of water when she reached the beverage counter.
“I guess Sai already left.” She moved on a bench and sat down, nursing her drink and satisfying her sudden thirst.
Dearka sauntered over and fetched himself a food tray, taking the empty seat opposite Miriallia as soon as he grabbed his plate. Again, they were silent, with the only sound in the room coming from the occasional clink of cutleries and the work noise behind the food counter. The awkwardness was so palpable he thought he could slice it with the knife he was holding.
Think fast!
“What do you plan to do now?” he threw the question back at her.
She raised an eyebrow at him.
Dearka gulped down what he was chewing and made his inquiry clearer. “When we get to Earth.”
Miriallia shrugged, playing with the straw of her water bottle. “I don’t know. Really. Maybe return home. Go back to school.”
“Oh.”
“But…I don’t know. Orb pretty much took a lot of damage, so I have to ask Cagalli about the arrangements.” Then she added as an afterthought, “Or Kisaka.”
Cagalli…yeah, she’s Orb’s leader’s daughter.
“Can I ask you a question?”
“You alrea---” he caught himself. “Ah…sorry, old habit,” he gave an uncertain laugh and scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.
“That’s all right.” She chuckled herself. “Anyway, I heard ZAFT will be sending transport ships for soldiers onboard the Eternal and to retrieve what’s left of their mobile fleet.”
He chewed on his food as he listened to her, but he almost choked when he finally heard her question and the hesitation that laced it.
“Are…are you, um, I mean, returning with them?” she blushed even before she could finish asking.
Dearka, for the life of him, couldn’t place the implying message of her question. But what really worried him was his answer. What would he say? That he would leave with them and go back to the PLANTs? If so, why? Hadn’t he stuck with the Archangel? Why leave now? But then again, what reason would he tell her if he decided to go to Earth with them? Why did he even want to return to that blue planet? He didn’t live there, much less know anyone there. His only familiar faces were the Archangel, Eternal, and Kusanagi’s crew…hell, he didn’t even know most of them! But why stick with them? And for that matter, who was it that he wanted to stick with?
Dearka gulped.
Shit.
Damn.
Oh sweet mother of Gundams.
“Ah…I, well…I don’t know,” that was the safest answer he could come up with…
“How come?”
…But she just had to ask that.
“…I think I have to return to the PLANTs.”
“Oh…”
Were his eyes deceiving him? Did she actually look put-out when he said that?
“But I want to see the Earth,” he finished quickly. He felt his heart beat a tad faster when her eyes lit up. He couldn’t explain it, but somehow, her reactions were important to him. Even back then, when he became part of the pilots she was responsible with. Every time she cleared him, he had to see her reaction, her facial expression.
“You’ve been under the Archangel’s wing for quite some time. Maybe you can let the government of Orb help you with the political and military ties you have with the PLANTs,” she said matter-of-factly. She shrugged. “We’re kids, technically, so I guess we deserve a life that we can live the way we want to...”
His lilac orbs brightened at the wisdom behind her words. “Yeah, but I’ll be another person Athha, or Lacus, or Captain Ramius would have to mind. I don’t want to be a burden.” It was true. No matter how much he wanted to go to Earth, he just couldn’t find it in himself to burden the Pink Princess more. He didn’t know Cagalli that well, but it would be a shame to bother someone he hardly knew. Lastly, Murrue Ramius was the mother of the ship, and she, in a way, took care of him, so he didn’t feel like adding to the things she had in mind. Mwu La Flaga was enough to think about.
For a detached moment, Dearka felt a pang of sadness tug at his heart. The man had been kind to him, and Dearka grew to like his company. They became somewhat like partners in the field, and to lose him like that was heavy on his mind.
Mwu La Flaga was a man to remember.
She smiled. “It’s okay. Kisaka would probably take Cagalli’s place for a while, and I’m sure Mr. Waltfeld would gladly take Lacus’ place. You became part of the crew the moment you decided to stay with us, and since the Archangel accepted you, you’ve become the ship’s responsibility. Murrue, she’d be glad to help a friend. She knows Mwu took a liking of you, Dearka, and she’d be happy to help anyone of his friends and her crew.” She cocked her head to the side as if reconsidering something. “Not all of us are soldiers, and the Archangel has acted out of line since we learned of the EA’s real intentions, so we don’t care much about the standard protocol.” She giggled a little.
A reign of quiet descended upon them again, but this time, it wasn’t as uncomfortable. Maybe they were getting used to the presence of one another. They might have started out on the wrong foot, but they survived the war with each other, so maybe, just maybe, they were starting to correct their first meeting. It was a slow pace, but there was no rush.
She broke the silence that had settled. “The Earth’s a beautiful place, Dearka. I’ll…” she seemed to hesitate as she averted her gaze, “I’ll…ah, show you around if…if you decide to return to Earth. With us.” Her voice lost a little volume by the time she finished, and a cute blush was making its way to her cheeks.
Her words screamed inside his head, and he blushed right along with her. But before he could say anything else, she stood up abruptly.
“I have to go. I might be needed at the bridge,” she said quickly, jogging out the mess hall.
Dearka was left speechless, especially when he spied the little smile she tried to hide before she was gone.
Miriallia Haw left, leaving the former Buster pilot in awe of her actions. At that moment, he couldn’t keep from feeling elated. So he grinned. Dearka Elsman, a former top gun of the ZAFT military, grinned for all he was worth.
I guess I’ll be staying after all.

-To Be Continued…

Clarification/s:
This happens simultaneously with Chapter 2, just so nobody gets confused. Kira arrives in the ship a little before Miriallia leaves Sai, then he meets her (by this time, Miriallia has already left Sai and is wandering along the corridors alone) before he finds Lacus and Cagalli.

A/N:
Please review