Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Sojourn ❯ PHASE 02 A Chance at Life: Part Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn (2/?)
Author: Paola
Disclaimer: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn is based on characters and situations that belong to Sotsu Agency, Bandai Studios, and TV Asashi (and other production affiliates that have the right of ownership). No money is being made, and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Considerations: Similarities to other stories/events/passages are purely coincidental unless otherwise cited.

“In three words I can sum up everything
I’ve learned about life. It goes on.”
- Robert Frost

PHASE 02
A Chance at Life: Part Two

Lacus had just finished attending to the injured when Andrew Waltfeld walked inside the infirmary.
“How’d the discussion go?” he inquired, waiting by the door.
Lacus told him about the transport ship that would take the injured back to the PLANTs and the one that would retrieve the mobile suits.
“Mm. Are you going over to the Archangel?” he asked.
“Whatever! Whatever!” Haro screeched, rolling around in midair.
Lacus looked up and caught it. “Oh hush, Mr. Pink. You have to be quiet to let the sick rest.”
Haro’s flaps closed. “Oh.”
The leader of the Clyne faction turned towards the Eternal’s captain and floated towards him. “Oh yes. A little later after I finish overseeing the repairs.”
Waltfeld nodded and followed Lacus outside the infirmary. “How’s the kid?”
Lacus knew he was referring to Kira, and as much as she wanted to see for herself how he was doing, she had to take care of some things first. “Cagalli says he’s all right now, but I haven’t gotten the chance to see him since the end of the battle. Kira might be over at the Archangel later. That’s why I’m going over there.”
As soon as the metal door closed with a soft swish, and right after Lacus mentioned Kira’s name, Haro flew out of Lacus gentle hold and started to chant the name of the Freedom pilot.
They drifted along an empty hall in silence save for the robotic voice of the songstress’ toy. Then Lacus remembered to ask what else the captain might have wanted to discuss with her.
“About the repairs.”
Lacus raised her eyebrows. “I’m going over there to see things for myself. Why? Is anything wrong?”
The man laughed and brushed off her concern, “There’s nothing to worry about, Lacus. I’ll take care of supervising our men, so why don’t you go on your merry way and head to the Legged Ship?”
“Oh no, Mr. Waltfeld. I’ll help here first. I have to keep my responsibilities in this ship first.”
He shook his head. “You’ve led us in battle, Ms. Clyne, but personally, I don’t think there’s anything you can do to help the repairs,” he said, though it wasn’t meant to underestimate nor insult the songstress’ abilities. “And I think the captain should take care of those responsibilities you’re speaking of.”
“Is that right.” Lacus took no offence at what he said, knowing that she really didn’t have much technical know-how.
“I’m afraid so. I think the Orb princess would be of more help,” he chuckled at his own joke, recalling how tomboyish Cagalli had been the first time they’d met, back when they were fighting on opposite sides.
Lacus giggled as well. “Cagalli? Yes, I suppose so. Athrun’s quite fond of her, do you know?”
“Athrun! Athruuuuun!” came Haro’s mechanical speech.
Andrew Waltfeld actually looked shocked. It was well known back in the PLANTs the engagement of Lacus Clyne and Athrun Zala. He guessed it didn’t take long for Patrick Zala to break off his son’s engagement when his fiancée was branded a traitor to the PLANTs.
“Hn,” was all he said to that. He didn’t much care to meddle in the private affairs of youngsters. “I’ll prepare a transport pod for you.”
“Why, thank you very much.” Lacus smiled gratefully as Waltfeld drifted down to a different corridor while she headed towards the bridge to inform Murrue of her visit.
o-o
“Lacus,” Murdoch greeted when he opened the hatch on the transport pod from the Eternal.
Lacus floated out of the pod and faced the head technician of the Archangel. “Oh, hi, Mr. Murdoch!” she greeted back. She swung her head from left to right but saw no other familiar faces. “Is Kira here already?”
“The kid?” Murdoch guided her towards the hangar exit. “I thought he was resting at the Kusanagi.”
“Cagalli told me he’d be here.”
He shrugged. “Mm. He hasn’t arrived yet. All we have here is what’s left of the Freedom.” He waved a dismissive hand towards the Gundam. “Good thing we won’t be needing it anymore. We’ll leave it to Morgenroete to restore it or dispose of it. Though the kid said it wouldn’t ever need repairs, there were still times we’d find ourselves helping him. Repairing it again and again can get a tad tiring, if you ask me.”
Lacus giggled at his apparent weariness of putting Kira’s machine back in good condition. “I’m sure Kira didn’t mean to destroy it, Mr. Murdoch, but thank you for retrieving it. The Eternal’s hangar is filled with ZAFT mobile suits that need to be discarded. It’s better than leaving unnecessary debris floating around in outer space.”
“Yeah, well, think this is better than returning it to ZAFT. Least there’s less hassle. Plus, I don’t think Simmons would want this piece of technology to just go to waste without her tinkering with it. Though I don’t know what Kira might say to that,” Murdoch chuckled. “I think you can find the bridge on your own. I still have lotsa work in here,” he continued when they had reached the exit.
“Thank you, Mr. Murdoch.” She gave him a grateful smile.
Murdoch nodded and floated away. “I’ll send Kira to go look for you when he gets here.”
“Thank you.”
“Thank you! Thank you! Thaaank youuuu!” Haro shrieked, still clutched in the songstress’ hands.
“‘S’nothing.”
Lacus waved goodbye as she went on her way.
o-o
Kira woke up in the darkness of the room. He was a little disoriented until he remembered where exactly he was. Right, Cagalli was here a while ago. He cocked his head to the side as if trying to recall how much time had passed since his sister’s visit. A while ago? How long was I out? Shaking his head, he stood up, and was thankful to see his blue uniform neatly folded on the chair Cagalli had occupied.
Just as he finished buttoning his jacket, he spied a battle ship out the small plexiglass above his bed serving as a window. The Archangel. There were sparks flying from it from the repairs being done. The Archangel was far more damaged than the two ships, and from the looks of it, it would take them some time before they could make their entry to the Earth’s atmosphere. I better get there and see where I can be of help.
Kira used the centralized conveyor to get himself to the bridge. He had checked the room opposite his and saw it was vacant. Figuring Athrun had been discharged and was probably off somewhere in the ship with his sister, with the latter most probably at the bridge taking care of things, he settled on heading their to go ask the princess for a shuttle to the Archangel. After he had checked in with the resident paramedic, he had gone on his merry way.
When he arrived at his destination, he was puzzled to find the room empty except for a man whom he had figured might be the one in-charge of the ship’s CIC.
“Uh…”
The man turned from his console and faced Kira. “You must be Kira.”
He nodded. “Yeah…have you seen Cagalli or maybe Athrun?”
The man shook his head. “The one from ZAFT? Nah. Been here by myself for a long time. But Sir Kisaka’s down by the hangar.”
“Thanks.” He pushed himself off the seat he had been leaning against and floated out of the room.
Kira drifted across the hangar, trying to avoid the crew who were putting away metal scraps from mobile suits. He looked around, trying to find a familiar face when he spotted Cagalli’s guardian at the far corner of the area talking to one of his men. He floated towards him and called Kisaka’s attention when he was sure the man was finished talking to the mechanic.
“Hey, Kisaka.”
The addressed swung his head and waved the Coordinator over. “Kira.”
Kira stopped in front of him and asked, “Where’s Cagalli? She wasn’t at the bridge, and Athrun seemed to have been discharged from the sick bay.” He was a little taken aback when his senior laughed at the mention of the former ZAFT soldier’s name.
“Athrun Zala? Discharged? He didn’t even have to be admitted in. Cagalli just forced him to stay in that room.”
Kira joined him when he remembered about that. “Oh, yeah, she told me about that. By the way, where are they?”
“Didn’t you know? They shuttled off to the Archangel to help with things.”
Kira shook his head. “I think she forgot to mention that to me.”
“They left about two hours ago.”
Hn. Two hours?
“Cagalli informed me that you want to go there as well…?”
“Uh…yeah.”
Kisaka nodded and led Kira away from the corner and towards a shuttle. “She told me to prepare a transport pod for you.” He led the brown-haired Coordinator to the shuttle he would be taking.
Kira entered his transportation but lingered by the door. “Thanks.”
The kind guardian smiled. He got something familiar from his pocket and handed it to Kira.
The Freedom pilot’s eyes widened at the green mechanical object Kisaka handed over to him. “Thanks a lot, Kisaka.”
“Cagalli had Athrun Zala turn it off for the time being so you can get a good sleep. She asked me to give it to you before you go to the Legged Ship.”
Kira tinkered with the object and it came to life. It flapped its metal wings and chirped its familiar “birdie.” When it settled itself on his shoulder, Kira nodded towards the Orb officer.
The metal door closed with a soft swish, and Birdie flew around the small spacecraft as soon as they were alone, chirping away.
“Well, birdie, I guess we survived the war, huh?” He went for the controls and inputted the coordinates of his destination.
“Birdie! Birdie!”
The Kusanagi cleared his take off and Kira went to his seat and strapped himself down.
o-o
“Hey, you’re Lacus, right? Remember us?” a brown-haired teenager greeted her.
Lacus had been drifting along corridors towards the bridge when she stumbled upon a brunette and a blonde. She gave her a friendly smile. “Why, yes! You’re Miriallia.” She then turned towards the blonde, “And you’re Sai.”
Miriallia outstretched her hand towards the Pink Princess in a welcoming gesture. “Nice to meet you again.”
“Oh, yes. This is a better time than when I was considered a captive.” She smiled. Haro was floating beside her, saying its name repeatedly.
They grinned back.
“Where are you off to?”
“Oh, we’ll just be getting something to eat. We’ve been working for a while now,” Miriallia answered.
“You must be famished. Well, don’t let me keep you. By the way, is Captain Ramius at the bridge?”
Sai nodded. “Yeah. She’s in there with Cagalli. I think they’re talking to an EA representative.” He started to move away, Miriallia in tow. “Will you be fine on your own?”
Lacus nodded.
“Okay then. I guess we’ll see you around.” Mirailla waved goodbye, and then she and Sai were out of sight.
Lacus caught Haro and smiled at it. “They are very kind people, don’t you think, Pinky dear?”
“Ayay yay! Haro? Haroooo!”
Lacus giggled softly and continued her trip towards the command room.
When Lacus arrived at the entrance, she stopped and pocketed her Haro. “Mr. Pink, I want you to be quiet, all right?”
“Ay…”
Lacus entered and found Cagalli and Murrue ending their conversation with the EA delegate.
“Hey, Lacus. Is Kira here already?” Cagalli asked as soon as she spotted the songstress.
“Not yet, but Mr. Murdoch says he’ll send him to us when he comes.” She turned towards the captain of the ship. “Murrue, I’m sorry about Mwu.”
“Thanks, but don’t worry yourself over that.”
Lacus could almost feel the hurt emanating from her voice. “Murrue, I think you should get some rest. Let your crew take care of things.” She drifted towards the captain, concern written all over her face.
“I’m all right. Don’t worry about me.”
“Lacus is right, Murrue. It would do you good to rest.”
Lacus placed a comforting hand on the brunette’s shoulder. “You don’t have to hide it. The battle is over. It’s all right to think of things we didn’t have time to think about during the fight. It’s all right to cry now.”
Cagalli watched Murrue clench and unclench her fist.
“I…” Murrue hesitated. “But I cried too much already. It’s time I stop. I have to manage this ship. There…there will be plenty of time to cry later. Plenty.” She gulped the growing lump in her throat. “And…I-I can’t think of that right now. I can’t. Because if I do, I’ll fall apart. I don’t think I can handle the pain of remembering.” Droplets of tears escaped her eyes, unnoticed by her as they floated away from her pained orbs.
The Pink Princess enveloped her in an unexpected hug. “You can grieve now, Murrue. I know how it feels to lose someone we love, but we can’t bottle it all up inside. It’s okay to be sad. Nobody will judge you if you let the pain out.”
Then the sobs came, uncontrollable and grief-stricken. It filled the air with a sadness of an unfair situation.
“He shouldn’t have died! He shouldn’t! It wasn’t fair,” Murrue sobbed, letting go of her tough façade for the meantime, her words muffled as she buried her face in Lacus’ shoulder. “He said…he said he’d made the impossible possible…but he didn’t return! He didn’t come back!”
Cagalli didn’t know how to comfort the young captain, so she remained silent, watching as Murrue Ramius cried her pain in the arms of Lacus Clyne. Lacus smiled sadly at her, tears in her eyes, and Cagalli knew she didn’t have to say anything. The Orb princess and the leader of the Clyne faction remained still as they shared the sorrow of the Archangel’s captain.
o-o
Kira travelled the hall towards the bridge to see Captain Ramius and to ask her where he could be of assistance. Then he planned on searching for the pink-haired singer. Birdie, on the other hand, flew off to who knew where as soon as they were out of the shuttle.
Just as he turned around a corner, he caught sight of Cagalli leaving a room, followed by Lacus.
Guess I didn’t have to go look around for her anymore.
“You think she’ll be all right?” he heard Cagalli ask.
“Yes. She’s a strong woman, and she needs some time alone.” That was Lacus.
He could see the worried looks on their faces even from a distance. He floated towards the two girls and they finally noticed him. “Hey, is everything all right?” he stopped in front of them. “Have you seen Murrue?”
Lacus answered his question. “Murrue is resting right now, Kira. Was there anything you wanted to talk to her about?”
“Yeah. I wanted to know if can help with anything. You know, with the ship.”
“Oh. We don’t know about that, but Athrun’s by the artillery hatches. He’s helping with the repairs,” Cagalli told him. “Anyway, I better go see if he’s giving them trouble.” She took advantage of the antigravity and floated away.
Lacus and Kira chuckled as they waved goodbye. He watched his sister disappear around the corner then turned towards Lacus when he heard her speak.
“How are you feeling?”
Kira and Lacus settled for walking, meandering along empty corridors. Kira still hadn’t decided what to do, and Lacus didn’t seem to have a specific destination in mind.
He gave her a small smile. “I’m feeling better.”
“That’s wonderful to hear. I’m sorry I didn’t go see you earlier. I’ve been kept away by things at the Eternal.”
“That’s all right. You shouldn’t have worried about me,” he sheepishly answered. He was mildly surprised when Lacus whirled around and lunged at him, her arms going around his neck in a hug. He automatically returned the embrace, a little bit tickled pink at the display.
The force with which Lacus threw herself at him swept him off his feet, and they drifted across the hall. Their current motion, however, was redirected when Kira hit the wall with a soft thud.
“I’m so glad that you’re alive, Kira,” she whispered, her voice almost breaking.
“I’m glad, too, Lacus.”
“I was so relieved when Cagalli radioed in and said they found you.”
Kira felt moisture on his neck and figured Lacus might be crying. He took her by the arms and gently moved her away from him, searching her face. He wiped away her tears with the pad of his thumb and smiled his adorable smile. “No need to cry.”
“Oh, Kira,” she grinned at him, cocking her head to the side. “Thank you for coming back.”
He only took her hand in reply, and they started to continue their saunter, aimlessly walking down different sets of passageways and passing by the occasional crewmember on an errand.
“If I may ask, what were you and Cagalli talking about? With your tones, it seemed like Murrue had been crying.” He felt a sudden cessation from her, and he looked back, wondering why she had halted.
Lacus had her eyes downcast, one hand over her chest while the other still clasping Kira’s hand. “Oh, you don’t know.”
He moved closer. “Know what?”
She looked up at him and the sadness in her baby blues alarmed the brown-haired Coordinator.
“Kira, Murrue had been crying.”
“Over what?”
“Mwu…he died saving the Archangel. Kira, he died saving her.”
This made the brunette gasp. He hadn’t seen a single sign of the Hawk of Endymion since he landed on the Archangel. He thought Mwu was just around and that they just kept missing each other, but all this time he had been thinking wrong.
Mwu had died, she said. Had died for the ship…for the captain of the ship.
It brought a pang of melancholy to his heart. He had been an awesome pilot…how could this have happened?
“No…that’s not true…” he wasn’t even aware that he was entering denial, but it wasn’t Lacus’ way to lie and joke about these things. The unmistakable wetness in his eyes startled him, so much more when they actually made themselves visible as the antigravity wafted them around.
“It’s the truth, Kira, but he didn’t die in vain. He didn’t die without honour.”
Even if Lacus hadn’t known Mwu as long as he did, her personality wouldn’t allow her to be less sad than he, and so she cried with him.
He didn’t want to see her sad, much less cry. To this end, despite the grief that filled him, he knew he had to be strong. It couldn’t always be Lacus.
With this in mind, he moved even closer and enveloped her in a hug. “Then I believe you,” he whispered.
They stayed that way for a while, just holding each other and feeling each other’s distress over the loss of a good friend.
“I can’t even begin to guess how Murrue might be feeling right now,” Kira voiced out after some time. Although he, too, had lost someone, he didn’t think his misery could match up to the mourning over a lost lover.
They started to drift aimlessly again, both quiet, as they were lost in their own thoughts.
o-o
“Huh?” Athrun looked over his shoulder upon hearing a familiar cry. “Birdie?” He stretched out his hand and the mechanical bird perched on it, tilting its head from one side to another.
“There you are.”
He jerked his head towards the newcomer. “Cagalli,” he whispered, keeping his eyes on her as she neared him.
“I was looking for you at the artillery hatches,” she told him, crossing her arms in front of her. She smirked. “Does this mean they kicked you out?”
Athrun let out a short chuckle. “Nah. I figured it’s best to let them work their magic.”
She shrugged then started to gently poke Kira’s toy pet.
“So Kira’s here now?” he asked, watching her with slight amusement as she prodded the object on his hand with her index finger.
“Yeah. He arrived a while ago.” Cagalli paused in her movements then tried to cover the yawn that passed her lips.
Seeing Cagalli’s actions, he caught her wrist with his free hand and gently pulled her closer, looking her over with gentle eyes. “You looked tired.”
“Hn,” was all she said.
The blonde princess nestled her head on the juncture between Athrun’s neck and shoulder, keeping her eyes at the toy still perched on his left hand. Birdie flew the scant distance to his other shoulder.
“Athrun.”
“Mm?” He waited for her to continue, but she seemed to have fallen into silence, so he didn’t urge her to talk.
After a momentary pause, he heard her speak again, mirroring the words he had uttered back at the Kusanagi just a few days ago. Was it just a few days ago? Feels like it’s been forever.
“It seems like everybody’s crying.”
He didn’t have a response to that. What was he to say? He needn’t ask. He knew whom she was referring to. Murrue. Kira. Lacus. They were all lamenting, but why wasn’t he? His father had died. The tears…they had come, but were they enough? Were they really cried for the sake of mourning? Or was it because the shock was too much? He didn’t know.
In retrospect, he felt bitter---no, he felt sick---that his father’s last wish was for his own son to eliminate every last Natural, to fire the goddamn Genesis. He didn’t hear his father ask for forgiveness. He didn’t even hear Patrick Zala rejoice at seeing his only child for the last time.
He had let the tears fall, but he doubted he would again.
Why did it have to happen this way?
The answer was eluding him, but he didn’t have much strength to think of it right now. So he wouldn’t think about it. Cagalli had his full attention.
“The war, it’s over, right? Then why is it so hard to be happy? Shouldn’t we be insanely laughing our heads of? Huh? Shouldn’t we?” her voice sounded flat to him, devoid of emotion.
“Cagalli…”
“‘What we wanna do, what we can do, what we’ve got to do…it’s the same for everyone…’” Her breath was warm on his skin when she sighed. “Remember those?”
He nodded.
“Back then, we all had to fight. Fight a battle to gain peace between two races. Two races that didn’t even have a lot of differences to begin with. The other was genetically enhanced,” she shrugged a little as her position gave her only so much space, “so what? Big deal. Naturals…Coordinators…they’re all the same. Human beings. They experience pain, and they both have a lot to forgive, forget, and get over with. So it’s still the same. ‘It’s the same for everyone. For you, for Kira, for Lacus, and for me, too.’” He watched as her right hand moved towards his left shoulder, holding out her index finger for Birdie to hop on. “And for everybody else as well.”
Birdie cocked its head as if to inspect the offered finger then promptly hopped on it.
“Did that make sense?”
Did that make sense, she asked. He needn’t think about it. It did. Looking back, a lot of the things she had said made a lot of sense. Back when they both crashed in that small island. Back when she held him at gunpoint. Back when he was shot by his own father. Back when he was going to self-destruct the Justice. Sure, she could be brash sometimes, or temperamental, or impatient, but her words…they were words of the wise.
“Mm.” He looked at her out of the corner of his eyes. “More than you’re aware of,” he answered, almost whispering, but still loud enough for Cagalli to hear clearly.
“Birdie!” Kira’s pet declared not long after it settled on the blonde princess’s finger. Then it flew off, maybe in search of its owner.
And they were silent.
Cagalli let down her arm as she watched Birdie’s departure, but gave no indication of moving away. He didn’t mind. Not at all. So they remained that way, letting the antigravity work on them.
o-o
Kira and Lacus halted in their tracks when they reached a corridor with a lengthy window. They could see the Earth from where they were. It was a sight to behold.
The Pink Princess neared the glass and placed her palms against it. “It’s beautiful,” she gasped in awe.
“Yeah,” he agreed. He gazed at the blue sphere and sighed. “Cagalli said we’re going home.”
“Home…” she echoed wistfully.
Kira noted the yearning in her voice. He knew Lacus’ home was at the PLANTs, and so was Athrun’s, but they would be at home with them because the comfort brought by close relationships might just be enough to soothe the longing heart.
“Are you going back to the PLANTs?” Kira asked, hoping that Lacus would want to stay with them.
“Why do you ask?”
Kira became suddenly shy. “It would’ve…I mean, I would like it…very much if you---and Athrun, of course---can go back with us…” He trailed off. Whew.
Lacus practically glowed. “I’m going to Earth with you, Kira. There are things that need to be taken care of.” She beamed at him. “Plus, I haven’t been there. I’ve only seen pictures of beautiful sights found there in books.”
Kira couldn’t contain his unexplainable joy at her answer, so he broke into a wide grin. Then he looked out of the glass and gazed at the planet they were talking about. “Yeah… It’s a beautiful planet.” He turned towards her. “Wouldn’t you want to at least go back to your home first?” He just wanted to know.
“Oh…I don’t have a house back at the PLANTs anymore. It was destroyed when ZAFT declared me a traitor.”
He was every bit astonished to find her voice lacking bitterness. Maybe she had already forgiven them…hadn’t she?
“And my father died already. He was the only family I had left.” Her smile fell.
Kira felt guilty at bringing up the topic. He didn’t mean for it to go this way, but it did. He was very relieved, though, when Lacus looked up at him and smiled again.
“But it’s okay to start all over again. The Earth could be my new home!”
Kira stuffed his hands deep in his pockets. When they touched back down to Earth…well, now that he thought about it, he didn’t know what he would do then. During the war, they didn’t have to think of these things. Their lives revolved around staying alive and seeing the war through. Nobody made permanent plans, nobody thought of activities outside of battles. War…it did that to them. It took away their luxury to enjoy simple things.
He sighed.
Too many things had changed. Too many dreams destroyed. Too many lives taken. He didn’t think it would be easy to pick up where they had left off when the war escalated.
“Is anything wrong, Kira?”
“Huh? Oh, nothing. I was just thinking.”
She tilted her head to the side. “May I know what it is?”
Kira’s gaze lingered on the Earth for a while before it focused on the pink-head beside him. “You said the Earth could be your home. Wouldn’t you miss the PLANTs?” he dodged her request.
She laced her hands behind her back and steadied her eyes on him. “If I visit the PLANTs time and again then I won’t miss it, right?” She floated towards him, eyeing him questioningly. “You will go with me, won’t you, Mr. Yamato? The PLANTs…it’s a nice place, too.”
He answered her in his meek drawl, “Yeah… The last time I was there, I didn’t get the chance to roam around.” He grinned at the memory. “What do you plan to do after all the talks and conferences?”
She answered him without the slightest hint of hesitation. “Reverend Malchio had an orphanage by the coast on Earth. I think I want to have a big home built by the seaside, too, where it would double as an orphanage. I’ve always loved children. I’ll have to talk to him about this!” she gushed excitedly.
Kira listened to her talk and watched her be filled with happiness by her plans. He felt good to see her happy.
“You will help me, too, right? Right after I meet with some Earth officials, I’ll start looking for contractors.”
“Of course,” he smiled at her enthusiasm. “Cagalli can help us. I’m sure she has connections.”
She cocked her head to the side. “How about you, Kira? What are your plans?”
He leant his back against the glass, eyes cast on anywhere except on her. She seemed to have thought of everything while he didn’t even have a single idea on how to return to a normal life. “I…don’t know,” he shrugged, resigned. He felt a hand on his shoulder, and he looked up to see her peering at him without any trace of worry at his indecisiveness.
“That’s all right. We’ll think of things to do when we get there. I know it might be hard to pick up where we left of,” she said, as if she had read his mind, “but I think it’s kind of exciting to see where life leads us when we don’t plan things.” She smiled at him cutely. “Don’t you think so?”
He nodded, at a loss for words. She said “we.” We’ll plan things together. She wouldn’t leave him, and he felt warm at the prospect of spending more time with her.
This time, it was she who took his hand. “Come on. Let’s see where we can help. Maybe we can lend a hand in the infirmary.”
She pushed back to gain momentum, and they drifted on the path towards the sick bay with her leading the way. He was silent as he let her words play in his head, again and again.
Lacus looked over her shoulder, seemingly happy to see Kira’s mouth still curved in a little smile. “Hey, Kira?”
“Yeah?”
“We don’t have to rush things.” She countered her own inertia and moved back to float beside him. “You know why?”
He only looked at her curiously. He felt her give his hand a gentle squeeze, and Kira was glad he returned the gesture because her face honestly glowed with delight.
“Because we have all the time in the world.”

-To Be Continued…
~*~
Feedback would be great.