Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Trapped ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Seed, or any characters in this story, unless they weren't in Gundam Seed.
 
Chapter Two: Fighting Hard
 
He was tired after days of marching through the desert with little sleep. His blond hair now reached his chin and often had to be brushed back. His outfit had many sand stains from falling, and the wind kept blowing in his face.
 
He needed to keep going, though. They might catch him if he stopped. And he would not be caught again. The place he was at before was unbelievable. Everyday spent there, he thought he would go insane. But somehow, he stayed sane.
 
He eventually escaped. He and a friend had watched the guards carefully. They eventually had a plan to get out of there. But something went wrong. They had expected the guards to be on schedule, but a guard walked faster and arrived early. The guard had alerted the rest of the base, but they were almost out by then. They were a room away from escaping and his friend had tripped and got killed. He was sad, but couldn't stop. The guards took aim at him, but he managed to duck behind a wall and jump through a window.
 
That was a week ago. He had been marching through the desert since then. Helicopters or mobile suits came after him after the first three days, but he always managed to slip behind the enemy ship before they saw him. Stealth had been his specialty in ZAFT.
 
At least, it was before he was captured. He was on a colony fighting to defeat some Earth Alliance mobile suits, but his own mobile suit was torn to pieces and exploded. He managed to get out in time though, but he was barely conscious. The rest he remembered was his ship getting destroyed along with the rest of the mobile suits.
 
After that, he was in this strange facility in some Earth desert where he had never been before. Heck, he had never been on Earth before! He had no idea where had was going but by some geography class he took before the war, he was guessing somewhere in some ocean. He had seen water, some water after all. He had never heard of a desert island, though.
 
He continued walking, and again saw some water as he walked through a path that seemed to connect two islands. And then, for the first time since he was captured, he saw trees. He saw more trees on the other island. He managed to form a shallow smile, but nothing more. He thought there might be some hopes of civilization, but wasn't expecting much.
 
He then heard some jovial laughter coming from the fields. He didn't know what to think of it, but soon came across some kids playing. One pointed to him, and they all ran over. One then came up to him and asked, “Hey, mister, are you ok?” He looked down at the kid and managed a smile.
 
Then he collapsed.
 
1 hour later
 
He was somewhere else now. He heard two people close by, talking, but he couldn't make a sound
 
“So, what's wrong with him?”
 
“Lots of things. He has sand in his lungs, has slept very little, and has barely eaten for the past few weeks. He'll probably survive though”
 
“That's good.”
 
“Have we found out what his name is? Where did he come from?”
 
“Nope. No personal ID on him, and he hasn't made a sound.”
 
With that, he was annoyed, and managed to stutter out his name and number. And even though his eyes were closed, he knew that the people were staring at him. He heard the two people silently jog out of the room.
 
1/2 hour later
 
There was a small commotion in the hospital. A new patient had briefly spoken what sounded like his name and degrees of latitude and longitude located in the desert not too far away. Two doctors were talking inside the patient's room when they heard this, and now they were back in it again.
 
“Well, what information did we get on his name?”
 
“Here,” the other doctor handed the first a report, “Coordinator from the Plants, enlisted in ZAFT, but was reported to be KIA after a battle that took place in a neutral space colony.”
 
“Then why was he wandering around?”
 
“Not sure.”
 
“Anyways, what about that number?”
 
“It's longitude and latitude numbers apparently. I'm not positive which is which though. It's either the end of the desert or in the ocean.”
 
“Someone should check out both these locations.”
 
“Well, we sent them to the capital; they'll decide what to do.”
 
Meanwhile, at the capital, a leader speaks, “Our satellites have detected a small base on the island east of us belonging to the Earth Alliance. We are sending over a team to see what's going on there and have sent a message to the base stating so already.”
 
Enemy Base, Nicol's POV, same time
 
Suddenly, there was an uproar around here. Guards were running all over the place, and opening cells, telling everybody to go to the all too small main room. We all were wondering what was happening, and were all hoping to get some answers. I heard murmurs that people were coming, or we were going to be rescued. I really didn't believe either, but they were lingering in the back of my head as a general came on stage with a microphone.
 
“Listen up,” he said harshly, “A team from Orb is coming to inspect this base. You are all now recovering ZAFT members who we picked up and have been releasing when you are full recovered. If you do not fit this persona, you will be dispatched afterwards.”
 
Murmurs were going through the crowd, but the general stared talking again, “They will be coming at 14 hundred hours. That means you have 30 minutes before they come!”
 
I tensed a bit. 30 minutes was not a lot of time to such a big announcement like this.
 
The general was not quite finished yet and he spoke once more, “Until then, you will all be here. I expect a good performance!” I rolled my eyes at the last statement. We were all so close to being free, and someone, I knew, would risk his life to tell the Orb team.
 
We all waited for a while, and then we heard the heavy door opened. First came a tall man dressed in uniform, a blue uniform, with gun in hand. He looked around, and signaled to the outside where a woman with neck-length blond hair and wearing a uniform came in. As I was looking at her, Athrun came in! I couldn't miss him anywhere!
 
I was astonished. I wanted to just yell out something, and I opened my mouth to, but I remembered what would happen if I did. I started thinking, why was Athrun with Orb now? I didn't think he would betray his father unless something bad happened.
 
The three continued walking up to the general as I was thinking. When they reached him, the general stuck out his hand. He shook hands with the blond, who seemed to be the leader.
 
“Welcome to the base,” the general said. “As you know, this is an Earth Alliance base. The purpose of this base is to take in wounded ZAFT soldiers and treat them.”
 
“Yeah, and if that's true, why is this location not on any maps?” the blond leader responded.
 
“Because we're afraid ZAFT would not think that we were doing so, and could accuse us of holding hostages, which could lead to another war.”
 
At this point I was thinking that he's blatantly lying, and apparently others were, too, as somebody shouted, “LIAR!”
 
The general got a little smile on his face which went unnoticed by the entire Orb team as he said, “Will a guard please escort the man to his quarters for interrupting with his nonsense?”
 
The guards understood this was a message for, “Go kill him,” and so did the man who yelled it. When two guards grabbed him, he started yelling about why he would say that if what the general said wasn't true, which seemed to affect the Orb team.
 
A few other captured soldiers suddenly jumped the guards carrying the man, wrestling their guns away, and knocking them unconscious. Then chaos started. The general and the Orb team were instantly surrounded by guards, all holding up their guns, while every captured soldier started to try to escape.
 
But I stood there, wondering what to do, as I was staring at the Orb team, Athrun specifically. He seemed to notice, and we made eye contact, trying to tell if it really was each other. When I couldn't stand anymore, I looked away, to see a guard close by was aiming his gun at the others. I couldn't let him do this, so I ran over and punched him unconscious. I took one more glance at Athrun, who was still staring at me before I ran off to the door.
 
At the door, there were a large number of captured soldiers yearning for freedom, while others were still attacking guards. As I reached the door, I slowed down to take a look around. Almost all of us were alive, but there were a few dead and a few others injured. Most of the guards were unconscious, but a few remained. The guards around the general and the Orb team were separated, with a few around the general, and the remaining ones around the Orb team. The leader looked annoyed, the tall guard looked indifferent and concentrated, and Athrun still looked in total shock. Most of us were at the door now, and I was still looking at the guards to see if they would shoot.
 
Then, the blond-haired leader broke out of the protective circle, with the tall guard running after her, trying to talk her out of it, and Athrun, who looked confused walking after both of them. The blond leader entered the general's circle, took his microphone, and angrily asked, “What is going on here? Tell me the truth this time!” loud enough for us to all hear it, so the panic died down, and we looked at her.
 
The general nervously said, “It's just as I said. We take in wounded Earth Forces soldiers, and treat them.” Everyone immediately noticed his slip-up, even the general.
 
The blond leader smiled confidently, “Your first story was you took in wounded ZAFT soldiers, which is a total lie. The Earth Forces hate coordinators. Your second story was that you take in wounded Earth Forces soldiers. Is that one true, or are both lies?”
 
Athrun walked next to the blond leader, and said, “I don't think that story is true either, Cagalli.”
 
“Why?” the blond leader, Cagalli asked.
 
“I just don't think so.” I think he was talking about his seeing him
 
“Ok,” she responded, and turned back to the general, “Then what's the true story?”
 
The general remained silent.
 
Cagalli turned to the tall guard and said, “Kisaka, go find and check a computer or some papers or something,” she turned to Athrun, “Athrun, go find the way to open the door from the inside,” and she turned to the general, “And you don't go anywhere.”
 
As the tall man, Kisaka and Athrun went to do their respective tasks. There was an awkward silence. Cagalli finally turned to us, and said, “Depending what we find, you'll be free or arrested.”
 
I smiled a bit at this, since I was confident we would all be freed, and I was happy that the general had been put in his place finally. Besides, we would be leaving here either way.
 
Athrun, apparently finished with his task, walked next to Cagalli, and stated, “I've got the key.”
 
“Good. Now we have to wait for Kisaka to finish his task, and we can leave.”
 
There was another awkward silence that lasted for a minute or two, and Kisaka called, “Cagalli, I think you should come see this.”
 
Cagalli jogged over to a computer that I had never noticed, and her eyes bugged out in shock of what she was reading. She turned to us again, “Ok, you're all free.”
 
We all knew it was coming, but we were all ecstatic anyways. There was a lot of noise, and everybody was jumping up and down. I glanced over at Athrun again, with a smile on my face this time, and waved a little. He had an awkward smile, and did a little wave back. I was satisfied, and turned back and celebrated some more, since it was finally over…
 
Author's Notes:
 
Writer's block is evil. I am definitely going to get the next the next chapter up sooner, though. Thanks to all who reviewed/liked my story. Special thanks to Far-Fetched Imaginer or beta-ing it.