Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Yuy Twins: Episode Zero ❯ Quatre Raberba Winner ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here we go…another chapter. I hope everyone enjoyed the last ones. Say hi to Quatre.
Disclaimer: I don't own anything.
“Over a mobile suit radio.”
Quatre Raberba Winner
A.C. 180
When the construction of the space colonies began; conditions made it dangerous for women to give birth naturally. As time went on, this problem was solved; for everyone except the Winner family, who had been in space since the beginning.
In the end only one of the thirty Winner children was born naturally. In the end, Quaterine Winner died to give birth to her only son and heir to the family, Quatre Raberba Winner.
000000000000000
A.C. 186
Six year old Quatre Winner sat silently in his room, staring out the window at the colony night. He was alone that night, his sisters being gone and his father being in some meeting or another. Not that Quatre really minded; he liked his sisters well enough but…his father was another story. Raberba Winner was not cruel to his son, he never hurt him but then again; he never truly paid attention to him either.
At six, Quatre had seen more of the servants than he had of his own father. When he had been younger he hadn't understood why his father was never home; why he was forced to spend his time around servants who felt nothing but contempt for him. He could tell; ever since he was young he had been able to feel the emotions around him. He had not questioned this, nor had he mentioned it to anyone.
He knew what people thought of him and his family; even if he was too young to understand most of what the adults were saying. He knew that people thought the Winner family unnatural as all thirty of them were test tube children. He had no idea how his father felt as he rarely spent any time with Quatre and when he did it was not very informative. He would come and take Quatre to some `party' or another and then he would disappear back into his work; leaving Quatre's care to the servants.
Over time, Quatre had begun to resent his father and as his empathy continued to make him aware of the disdain around him he began to form his own ideas about his father's reasoning's and his own existence. After all; he had nothing with which to refute any of his ideas.
000000000000
A.C. 193
The shuttle was a Winner shuttle so it was expected to have a decent number of luxuries on it but this only made the young teen look around himself with disdain. There were better uses for money than all this useless decorum.
“We'll be on earth shortly Master Quatre.”
Quatre glanced at the professional looking man beside him and again felt the disdain he had felt all his life. And why shouldn't he; he was a test tube child after all.
“Yeah.”
Looking back out the window Quatre proceeded to ignore the man beside him.
“What a boring planet. All it is is a collection of naturally reoccurring molds…but then again…”
Quatre looked back at the man beside him and again felt his disdain.
“It's still better than me.”
Quatre stared out the window for a while longer before he sensed another person coming towards him, radiating panic, urgency and the usual disdain.
“Sir; we are surrounded and are being ordered to obey commands. They appear to have taken four Winner family vessels. And they're taking us with them to Resource Satellite MO-III.”
Quatre sat back and thought this over. One of the only things his father had ever really paid attention to was how well Quatre learned the family business and while his father knew he did good; Quatre had done better behind his father's back. He would look after his family as his father seemed to be forgetting to do.
“What should we do Master Quatre?”
As far as he recalled MO-III was a resource satellite built for Earth and most of the workers there were political prisoners and such that were being held there without pay. He had managed to make the conditions there better behind his fathers back but he had not as of yet, been able to get the people off.
“…It's not my concern. Wake me when we get there.”
Quatre sat there, pretending to sleep as he listened to the men.
“I guess we should expect this from the next head of the Winner family. But the contempt in his eyes…”
“Hmph. Comes with being born from those Winner test tubes.”
“There it is again. I never did anything to them. But even when I was a child they were so set in their ideas that nothing I could have said or done would have changes anything. The parents even passed their disdain onto the children. I'm lonely I guess; my sisters are gone now, off to different places. And there was only so much they could do anyway.”
0000000000000000000000
Resource Satellite MO-III
Quatre looked around as he made his way from where his shuttles crew were quivering, unsure of what to do. The mobile suits caught his eyes as did the garb of the men who had apparently captured his shuttle. From his studies it looked as if they were from the desert. The mobile suits had a color scheme that; from the pictures he had seen would allow them to blend in better.
Seeing a group of guards bound before a number of the men Quatre calmly made his way over to them. Looking to the largest man, who he assumed to be the leader, he observed him for a moment. The man was strong with a brown beard and brown hair. Waiting a moment he moved closer, discreetly keeping an eye and his senses on the other men. He could feel nothing more than urgency and determination from these people at the moment.
“I'm Quatre Raberba Winner.”
The large man turned around and looked at him for a moment. Quatre watched him in surprise and worked hard to hide that surprise as he felt nothing but a light annoyance and the same sense of urgency as before. Why did this man feel no disgust or disdain when hearing his name?
“I'm not telling you MY name.”
One of the others stepped forward with a frown and Quatre did his best to keep a straight face. Again no disdain or disgust. Why?
“What do you want?”
Quatre watched them with barely restrained confusion.
“What are you going to do with us?”
He couldn't say he really cared. After all, his father wouldn't care; if he even knew in the first place and his sisters would eventually get over it should he not return.
“You're our hostages until we escape.”
So that was what they wanted. Well then they were out of luck. What use was he as a hostage when he didn't seem to be worth anything as a human-being.
“Sorry to disappoint you then. I'm worth nothing as a bunch of organic molecules; so I'm worth even less as a hostage.”
Rashid; the leader of the Maganacs watched as the boy made his way away from them. There was something about the boy. Something in his eyes. He had heard the conversation on the shuttle over the radio system; the fools had forgotten to shut it off; and something didn't sit right with him. He heard the contempt with which the men spoke of the boy. And if the confusion he had seen barely hidden on the boys face was anything to go by; so had he; and he had expected it of them meaning that it was likely not a one time thing.
Watching the boy go he listened to his comrades with half an ear. They thought the boy was arrogant, but he wasn't so sure.
“I love no one, and am loved by no one. And besides…they can make any number of replacements of me.”
Rashid's head jerked up at the softly and almost monotonously said words and directed his attention once again to the retreating figure of the little blonde haired heir. Oh yes; he was definitely not so sure about that.
000000000000000
“We are taking all of the workers back to earth to see their families.”
Raberba Winner nodded from his place in his office.
“Very well I can accept those terms. You may use anything you find there and we will try to hold off the Alliances pursuits.”
The workers who had been watching from behind Rashid and his men cheered at this while Rashid smiled.
“Thank you. I knew I could count on the head of the Winner Family.”
One of the workers moved forward slightly to be seen by the Winner head and bowed quickly.
“We would also like to thank you for improving the conditions here sir.”
Raberba Winner looked puzzled; something everyone noticed and caused Quatre to smirk from his place in the corner of the room.
“Conditions?”
Everyone watched as Raberba Winner began to pull up numerous files; muttering to himself before his face turned hard. Turning back to the large commander Raberba did his best to keep his tone level.
“May I speak with my son?”
Rashid watched the man rather uncertainly but gave nothing away as he answered the man.
“Certainly.”
Quatre watched the screen for a moment before moving forward and into his father's line of sight. His calm and collected manner seemed only to infuriate his father more. Raberba Winner grit his teeth as he saw his son on the screen; looking as calm as could be. He looked so much like his mother that it was often hard on him to be around Quatre and differentiate between the two. He knew avoiding his son hadn't been the right thing to do but he had been in good hands.
What are you doing there?”
Quatre smirked as observed his father's anger. So his father had found his little project. But he had only found one; his father used his money for the colonies that was true; but he tended to overlook certain things that Quatre did not.
“Surprised to see one of your tools away?”
Raberba's face darkened considerably as he watched his son; completely forgetting about everyone watching them.
“You're still talking like that? You know that isn't true.”
Quatre frowned at the man.
“And how would I know that?”
Raberba frowned at his wayward son.
“I have told you so many times before.”
Quatre's face twisted slightly as he scoffed.
“When were you ever around. The only time I ever saw you was when you decided I needed to be educated in the business and when you took me to functions and left me there. After all that was over you disappeared again; leaving me to people who hate me.”
Raberba's eyes shuttered as he finally realized they had an audience and accepted the truth behind his son's words. He hadn't done right by Quatre and he knew that; but still…
“What have you been doing with the finances?”
Quatre smirked.
“Doing what you over looked. You look over those who you aren't faced with everyday. I found the MO-III satellite and read about its condition and did something about it.”
“You shouldn't mess with what you don't understand.”
Quatre smirked; unaware of the man watching silently and curiously from the corner.
“If you think that that is the only thing I've done you are wrong. And you'll never find it all; let alone fix it all. I'll prove that even if I am a test tube child that I can make my own decisions and do things on my own without your people watching me all the time.”
Raberba frowned down at his son.
“So you're going to run away to earth?”
“Why not? Maybe then I won't have to deal with the whispering and the scorn. When people turn their backs on you and show only disdain. I'll find my own way to prove that I can't be replaced.”
Rashid watched with the others as the fight between father and son seemed to escalate. It was becoming clearer now; he had been right about the boy being able to hear the conversation earlier. But he had always had something of a high opinion of the Winner Master. Yet his son. Rashid looked into the child's eyes as he continued to bait his father; stringing the man along with seeming ease. He was something that needed to be made to understand.
Moving up behind the boy he took hold of his shoulder and spun him around and slapped him across the face. Quatre reeled back and lifted his hand to where he had been struck. It didn't hurt all too much but it had gotten his attention.
“What was that for?”
“Have some pride in yourself. I too…was born in a test tube.”
Quatre watched the large man; deep in thought. That was why they had not reacted as he thought they would earlier. Even now, he was getting faint feelings of understanding from the man in front of him but he was also getting what felt like a reprimand of some kind. The man wanted him to accept himself?
0000000000000
Sitting back in his chair as the transmission ended Raberba Winner sighed. He knew he hadn't done right by Quatre; hadn't taken care of Quaterine's boy like she had wanted…but every time he went near the boy he was reminded of his mother.
Quatre's words had struck like a knife. He had stopped paying attention to Quatre as he had gotten older; only coming around to see him every so often. But even so; Quatre was a gentle child; perhaps the rift and the pain caused by his own actions was just too large.
00000000000
“Don't panic just hurry.”
Quatre stood up on an observation deck next to a man in the garb of the workers with a receding hairline and an odd mustache.
“Peculiar fellows. We hadn't asked them to do this they volunteered.”
Looking at the child from the edge of his vision the man continued.
“These days the world is filled with unfortunate people. Maybe they hope to help them all.”
“Why are they doing this?”
The man smiled at the predicted question from the young blonde. He had expected that this route of conversation would affect the boy. He also suspected that the boy was hiding something.
“Not sure. But that man, Rashid, said it was a matter of pride.”
Quatre looked down at the man.
“Pride?”
Instructor H nodded.
“Once you've been given the gift of life you must live it to the fullest no matter what…that is the way of the Maganac.”
Quatre frowned in thought; catching vague senses of feelings.
“Are they all test tube children?”
Instructor H nodded.
“Yes, I suppose that is why they call themselves Maganac…it means family. They are kinder and purer of heart than anyone. Kind of like you eh?”
Quatre started staring at the man? Him; kind and pure?
“Well; I'd best be going.”
Quatre started and looked at the man's retreating back.
“Where are you going?”
The man never stopped.
“I may not look it but I am an infamous mad scientist. They wouldn't allow someone like me on earth. Who knows, maybe I'll hide out at your place sometime…if so then remember me.”
Quatre watched silently as the man disappeared. What the? Quatre nearly choked as his empathy picked up a strong bought of nerves and desperation from somewhere nearby.
“Iscariot here; I'm sending you the coordinates.”
Quatre turned and noticed one of the Maganac men crouched around the next corner, a good deal of resentment and satisfaction rising in him.
“The Maganacs are doing everything they can for these people. I can't just stand by and do nothing. But what can I do?”
Quatre silently moved towards the man as he continued to give out information and became more and more flustered as the man's emotions became more satisfied with each passing minute.
“Why is he doing this? He has tons of people who respect him; so why?”
The more he focused on the man's emotions the stronger they became until they were nearly overwhelming Quatre. The strength of the emotions caused him to gasp silently and close his eyes to gain his bearings. Opening his eyes again Quatre gasped at the strands of color he could see around him.
“Wha-What is this?”
The colors twined through the air; some leading off towards himself and the man and others just floating around. Reaching out cautiously to feel one of the strands, Quatre jumped back at the sadness he felt from it.
“Are these…emotions? Why can I see them now?”
“So then we still have a deal?”
Quatre started and turned his; unknowingly; faintly glowing eyes back to the man. He watched the swirl of colors for a moment before steeling himself.
“If I can feel the emotions around me…does that mean I may be able to control them too? …It's worth a shot.”
Reaching out to the largest strand with both his mind and hand, Quatre quickly grabbed hold and twisted it like a rope around the man, causing him to freeze. Taking the chance Quatre quickly picked up some actual rope from nearby and tied it around the man as best as he could. Exhausted, he let the strand of emotion go and watched the colors fade from around him. Reaching down, he quickly picked up the communicator and made his way back to everyone else as the announcement began. Unaware that Instructor H had seen the whole thing.
0000000000
“Ho-How did they find us?”
“That was way too fast!”
Rashid shook his head and looked around himself.
“No matter. Launch the space shuttles immediately! Maganac corps prepare for battle.”
“You've got a stray.”
Rashid turned at the soft but firm voice he recognized as the Winner heir's. His eyes widened only slightly at the sight of the boy with one of his own men tied up beside him.
“Yuda?!”
The man said nothing as Quatre moved towards Rashid.
“He was using this communicator.”
Quatre said nothing of what he saw; giving only the needed information as he handed the communicator to the Maganac leader. Rashid nodded his thanks to the boy before turning to his `stray'.
“Yuda; you led them to us?”
“You bastard! You sold us to the Alliance?
The man finally answered as he leaned forward with contempt on his face and in his heart as Quatre unconsciously reached up a hand to grab hold of his own heart; something that Rashid didn't miss.
“Pff; takes all I've got just to take care of myself.”
One of the other soldiers reached out and grabbed the bound man as another came up behind him.
“Stop it; he's no family of our now.”
Looking up from the communicator Rashid looked down at the boy who stood beside him silently; still holding the cloth above his heart in a death grip.
“Thank you.”
Quatre looked up at the man for a moment with a slightly pained look on his face before he smiled.
“No problem. I used to think only of myself too.”
Rashid smiled slightly as he rested one of his large hands on the boy's blonde head.
“I'm not so sure about that. You used your family's money to help others didn't you?”
Quatre nodded; confused; as the man continued to rest his hand on his head.
“Then I believe you thought about others more than you think.”
Quatre thought for a minute before he smiled up at the man as he closed his eyes and leaned into the touch. He could feel the understanding and gratitude conveyed in the touch and did his best to soak it up; trying to block out the anger that seemed to permeate the room.
A sudden flash of emotion had Quatre's eyes flying open. He vaguely saw the ropes come undone and the man; Yuda; jump forward as he reacted; to what he wasn't sure. Moving quickly to the side he gave a hard shove to Rashid and moved him back, putting himself in front of the man with the jump.
“Look out!”
The shots were fired and Quatre gasped as pain flared through his shoulder; just barely hearing the grunt of pain from behind him as he watched the other Maganac take the traitor down. Grabbing his shoulder Quatre slid to the floor as he felt blood flow through his fingers from the wound.
“Captain!”
Quatre smiled as he heard and felt the concern for the man.
“Wish there was someone who would care about me like that. …But somehow I doubt I deserve it.”
“Hey; you okay kid?!”
Quatre looked up, startled to see one of the Maganac men kneeling worriedly next to him. He smiled a slightly pained smile as he looked over the man's shoulder at the man he had failed to protect from getting hurt.
“Look after your captain. He's the one who's important to you and he is more important than I am anyway.”
He heard nothing else as he focused on his wound and trying to stop the bleeding; content with the emotions he felt around him. Gratitude, worry and acceptance.
00000000000
“How many more ships are there to be launched?”
Just one.
“All right. We've got to stop their pursuit at all costs!”
“Can we do it? There have to be over a hundred suits out there.”
“We have thirty nine suits here.”
“Wait!”
The men turned to look as Quatre made his way up to them, his shirt partially open, showing the bandages inside.
“I'll go too. It's my fault for not tying that guy up properly in the first place.”
One of the men looked at him in shock.
“What are you saying? It was my gun…
“Forget it! This isn't a game!”
Quatre frowned as he looked up at the men.
“I want to fight, as a part of your family, even I could be…”
Quatre paused and thought back.
“No, let me prove that I am useful! I want to be proud of myself!”
“The leader; Rashid; was right. Perhaps I could do more if I have some pride in myself. I don't want to be a burden.”
One of the men scowled as he looked at the boy from his mobile suit.
“Scram kid or I'll step on you.”
One of the others spoke up, staring at the boy.
“Wait Auda. He's serious.”
Leaning out of his cockpit a bit more he got the kids attention. The boy was small and looked fragile but…they needed all the help they could get.
“Kid can you pilot a mobile suit?”
Quatre nodded with a smile.
“Leave it to me!”
Auda shook his head and turned to the screen.
“What should we do captain?”
“That boy saved my life, give him my goggles.”
“Understood!”
Leaning out of his mobile suit Auda tossed the goggles to the kid.
“Hey kid; take the captains suit.”
Quatre looked down at the goggles in his hands before looking up with a smile.
“Rodger!”
000000000000
Piloting the mobile suit out of the resource satellite and into the battle taking place in space Quatre adjusted the goggles as he observed the battle for a second.
“Now be careful kid.”
Quatre frowned as he propelled his mobile suit forward at a pair of Leo's.
“No point in telling me that now.”
Coming closer to the Alliance mobile suits Quatre brought the mobile suits bun up and took aim.
“RRAAHH!”
Explosions shook his mobile suit slightly but Quatre ignored this as he took in the raging battle.
“Squad one concentrate fire on the central group!”
“Right!”
“Squad two spread out and cover squad one.”
“Got it!”
“Mr. Auda lead and assault team around to their right flank; I'll drive the enemy towards you.”
Auda looked at his screen where he could see the kid in his own suit and nodded.
“Gotcha; and don't call me Mister anymore…you're the one wearing the captains goggles now.”
Quatre smiled slightly from inside his own suit; his wound and the emotions on the battle field paining hi slightly.
“…Okay. Here I go!”
Auda watched as he waited for his chance.
“He's good.”
“And that's with a wounded arm!”
Auda nodded.
“Yeah…he's a natural.”
The fighting continued as the shuttles continued to be launched.
“Well done everyone, the last vessel is now clear…now withdraw.”
Quatre nodded to Rashid's image on the screen.
“Rodger. Everyone please withdraw! I'll stay and hold off the enemy pursuit.”
“Say what?!”
“There are still more than twenty enemy suits!”
“You'll be killed!”
Quatre frowned as he continued to focus his attacks on the enemy suits.
“Don't you want to get back to earth? Now go, quickly!”
“You've done well…that's enough.”
Quatre frowned as he continued his assault.
“You still don't accept me as part of your family?”
He wanted to have the closeness that these men had, he wanted to feel accepted as he never truly had at home.
“We certainly do…so let's go to earth together.”
Quatre startled slightly.
“Earth…”
“It's a place where skies, oceans, mountains and even deserts shine with life.”
Quatre smiled, closing his eyes.
“Sounds beautiful…I'd really like to see it one day.”
Taking a firmer grip on the controls of the mobile suit Quatre shot forward.
“I don't…know how long it will take. …But I promise I'll find you.”
Focusing his sights he continued.
“And I'll try to be a little stronger by then.”
“I think I understand just a little better now. I shouldn't go to earth to run away…but to find myself.”
000000000000
Rashid sighed as the boy cut transmission with him.
“Everyone pull out.”
“But Captain!”
“If all thirty nine of us make it to earth we owe it to that Gentleman.”
“Gentleman…you mean the kid?”
Rashid straitened as he continued.
“We Maganac owe our lives to him. From now on we call him Master Quatre; that's an order.”
“No need for orders; that kid…I mean Master Quatre has earned our respect.”
0000000
Whether he knew it or not…Pilot 04 had been chosen.
A/N: I really hope everyone enjoyed that…it is really long and I hope I did a good enough job explaining Quatre's power. It was kind of difficult. Just to clarify if I did a bad job; I simply took Quatre's space heart a bit further. He can not only feel but control and manipulate emotions as well. It will be different from Jasper from Twilight though. Please review and the last few chapters of this part of the series will be out soon.