Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Pilots ❯ Choice of Destiny ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sailor Pilots 6

Choice of Destiny

Disclaimer: SM and GW rule! But I don't own either of them!

'Wow,' Serena thought, 'we sure have made something of our selves.'

A face came on the screen, "let my sister go."

"Millardo!" Relena shouted, "you're alive?!"

'Sister?' Serena thought and looked at the handsome man, who was too, her cousin, 'wow! He's cute! I guess good looks run in the family!'

"You cannot threaten me, Millardo Peacecraft," Dekim muttered.

"Well if I can't," Millardo said, "I'm sure someone will." Millardo's image disapared.

Serena racked her brain in thought, 'what does he mean, someone will? Could he mean…Heero will come for her?' She looked at Relena, "Relena, let's get out of here!"

"I'm waiting for Heero," she said.

'I came to rescue her and she wants to stay for Heero?' Serena thought, 'She picks that guy over her own cousin?'

"No one is coming for you, Relena," Dekim said.

"You said that last time and someone did come!" Relena muttered.

"Yeah!" Serena shouted, "Relena's wish for peace is what is keeping me from putting you out right now!"

Relena and Serena could only do nothing but wait.

'This waiting is driving me crazy!' Serena screamed mentally, 'I'm so mad I could shoot somebody!'

Rini tried to sit next to Mariemaia and be silent. When she opened her mouth, she was careful of her choice of words. Rini wanted to tell her that Dekim was just manipulating her and she had to stop this and be her own person.

'Someone stop this,' Rini thought, trying to send the message to Serena, 'Serena, do something! I don't know what to do! I'm just a kid; Mariemaia's just a kid!'

As Relena watched the battles going on, she had a big grasp on reality, "I've been running," she whispered.

"Running from what?" Serena asked.

"I've been running from the truth," she said.

"Then go take a stand," Serena told her.

"Yeah," Relena ran to the front and pushed the person sitting at the microphone out of her way. "Everyone, listen to me. Do not be afraid of what you see. Help the gundams fight for peace! We are all soldiers for peace!"

"That's Queen Relena," people mumbled, "What is she doing there?"

"Get away!" Dekim pulled her from the microphone. "Now everyone knows you're here!"

"Good!" Serena barked, getting between her and Dekim incase he was going to harm her, "the people of Earth won't let you win and I am not going to let you harm her!"

Dekim growled under his breath and walked away. Mariemaia walked to the front, Rini trailing behind.

"Why'd you do that?" Mariemaia demanded.

There was a huge blast onto the building.

"Relena, down!" she shouted, pulling her cousin down and shielding her.

"It's Heero," Relena whispered.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Of course I'm sure," Relena confirmed, "I'm certain of it. Heero has come for me."

'Come for you,' Serena thought, 'yeah, for you.'

"Doesn't he know that Relena's down here?" Dekim hollered.

"Heero," Relena whispered. "Heero! Heeeerooooo!"

"He can't hear you, Relena," Serena said, "here, let me try." She took a deep breath and screamed with all her voice. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOO!"

There was a pause, "well, I think you got his attention there, Serena," Relena said.

'Has he come to save us or kill us?' Serena thought when the place shook again. She heard Rini and Mariemaia scream, "Rini!" she shouted. She wanted to go and help her but she had to protect Relena too.

Serena didn't have to. Lady Une ran up and threw her arms around the two girls to bring them down.

"Are you okay?" Serena asked, helping Relena up.

"I am, thank you, Serena." Relena said.

Mariemaia got up, "I don't believe it!"

Lady Une got in front of her, "forgive me," she said, bringing her hand up.

Rini was so sick of Mariemaia's attitude that she felt that she should be the one to bring Mariemaia to her senses. She stepped in front of Mariemaia and punched Mariemaia in the face.

"Rini!" Serena scolded.

Lady Une stepped back in surprise but was kind of glad someone else did it.

"Ow," Rini winced, grabbing her fist, "that hurt!"

"How do you think I feel?" Mariemaia demanded, bringing her hand to her jaw. "I thought you were my friend!" She was more surprised than hurt.

"I was only pretending to," Rini muttered.

"Pretending?"

"Yes," Rini said, "I was sent here to keep an eye on you so you wouldn't hurt anyone. I was supposed to stop you. You're just a kid, Mariemaia, what gives you the right to take over the world?"

"I'm Treize Khushrenada's daughter," Mariemaia said.

"So! He's dead, Mariemaia!" Rini snapped, "and this won't bring him back, you know that! It's your grandfather; he put you up to it!"

"Is that true?" Mariemaia looked at him.

"She's lying to you, Mariemaia!" Dekim shouted.

"Grandfather's aren't supposed to make you rule the world," Rini said, "They're supposed to read to you and stuff! Your father wouldn't want this!"

"It's true," Lady Une said, "he wanted peace."

"You're confusing me!" Mariemaia cried, "stop it! I'm doing this for my father!"

"If you want to make him happy," Rini sneered, "then be your own person! You're a kid. You're supposed to have fun, not try to rule the world!"

Serena took Rini by the shoulders, "nice job."

"It's over, Dekim," Relena said.

"Yes, for you!" he pulled out his gun and fired at her.

"Relena!" Serena shouted, pulling her down.

Mariemaia moved in front of Relena, taking the shot.

"Are you okay?" Serena asked.

"Mariemaia," Relena mumbled.

"Huh?" Serena looked at her, "she took the shot?"

"Mariemaia!" Rini knelt in front of her, "that was a brave thing you've did! Your father would be so proud!"

"Oh, cut it out," she winced.

"No, I'm serious!"

Serena was outraged, "Dekim!" she pulled out her gun, "this is for Relena," she shot him once, "and this is for Mariemaia!" she shot him again. He fell back with two bullet wounds in his chest, dead. Serena couldn't believe what she had just done. 'Wow, I'm a pretty good shot with this thing,' she thought to herself.

"Get a doctor!" Lady Une shouted, "now! She's Treize's daughter for crying out loud!"

"I was only supposed to pretend to like you," Rini said, "but I really do."

"You do?" Mariemaia gasped.

"Absolutely," Rini said, "I think you're so cool! You're the best friend I ever had!"

"Stop it."

"I mean it!"

"No, you're squeezing me too tight," she wheezed.

"Oh, sorry," she loosened her grasp. "Don't worry, you'll be okay, Mariemaia."

"I'll end your suffering," Heero said, raising his gun.

On impulse, Serena raised her gun at him. 'Heero,' she thought.

Heero looked at Serena for a second. 'It's her,' he thought. 'She's real.'

"Don't do it, Heero," Relena begged.

Mariemaia didn't seem to care. She closed her eyes and smiled.

Heero pulled the trigger but the gun was empty. World knows how many times he has used it already.

"It's over," he whispered and then he let out a sigh as his legs gave out. "Mission complete."

Serena lowered her gun and took a step forward. "Heero?" she whispered. She wanted to go over to him but she somehow couldn't move. It was like something was holding her back. Relena ran passed her.

"Heero!" Relena shouted and caught him in her arms. She smiled faintly as she pulled his head onto her chest. "It's finally over."

Serena could do nothing but watch. 'She loves him,' she thought. She felt something wet falling down her cheek. It was a tear. Serena quickly wiped it away. 'That's enough, Serena. Forget him. He doesn't even know who you are. Don't interfere. You know Relena loves him and you love Darien, right?' She could not answer her question. She felt so confused. Unable to watch Relena hold Heero anymore, she turned around and wrapped her arms around herself.

Rini looked up at her as if she knew what she was thinking, "Serena?"

"I'm okay," Serena said. "Mariemaia will be okay soon too. Don't worry, it's all over now."

"Is everyone all right in there?" Duo called.

"Serena, what did you do to your hair?" Raye demanded.

Serena smiled and ran her hand through it, "now you can't call me meatball head anymore!"

"Darn," Raye sighed.

Paramedics came for Mariemaia.

"Can I come with her?" Rini asked them.

"It's all right with me," Mariemaia winced. "She's my best friend."

They shared a smile.

"All right," one said as they placed her onto the stretcher. Rini followed them to the ambulance.

"You'll be okay, Mariemaia," Rini said as she took her hand.

"Thank you for waking me up back there," Mariemaia said.

"Sorry if I hit you too hard," Rini apologized. "I didn't mean to."

"That's not what I'm worried about right now," Mariemaia mumbled.

"Don't worry, Mariemaia," Rini told her, squeezing her hand gently, "after that brave move you just did, I don't think God will let you die."

"Serena," Relena said, "he's waking up. Can you help me walk him to my car?"

"Sure," Serena replied. She turned back around and wrapped one of Heero's arms around her neck.

Heero looked at her vaguely.

"Hi," Serena whispered.

"Who--who are you?" he asked.

"Serena," she answered. "And you're Heero."

"How do you know who I am?" he asked.

"I just do," she said, "relax. You're going to be all right." She looked at Relena, "he looks so tired. Does this guy ever sleep?"

"Not when he's on a mission," Relena answered, "once he's accepted a mission, that will be all he cares about."

*************************************************

Serena was so confused. She felt torn between two men. One that she knew and one she didn't. Darien was kind but also wasn't around when she needed him the most. Heero had something about him she admired. She couldn't lay her finger on it. He was so mysterious and good-looking. He was strong.

"I think I'll go for a little spin in outer space," Serena said to herself as she walked out to her gundam, her helmet in hand. "I need to clear my head." She heard someone walking behind her. "Who's there?" she demanded, turning around. "Oh, it's you. So, are you going to kill me now?"

"I haven't decided yet," Heero answered. "Where are you going?"

"I haven't decided yet," Serena muttered.

"You're not around here, are you?" Heero asked.

"No," she replied.

"Which colony are you from?" he asked.

"I'm not from the colonies," she said.

There was a long pause.

"You're not going to tell me, are you?"

She shook her head.

"You're the same girl from the alley," he said, "right? Your hair was blond and in a different hair style."

"Yes, I am," she replied, "Kind of. I'm a different person. The old me is dead."

"Then I don't have a reason to kill you," Heero said.

"Well, good," she said, "because I still haven't done anything to you." She turned and began to walk to her gundam.

"Wait a minute," Heero protested.

"What do you want from me?" she demanded, whipping around and marching to him. "I don't even know who the heck you are! You don't know me either!"

"You know my name," Heero said. "And I know yours, Serena."

"And that's about it," Serena said, "I don't think we have more to talk about."

'What is she hiding?' Heero wondered. "I think we do."

"I can't tell you," she whispered and looked down at the ground. She felt a pressure under her chin. "What?"

"Go ahead and go if you want to," Heero said, "I'll never forget you." He kissed her cheek with unimaginable gentleness.

Serena was shocked and she dropped her helmet down to the ground. How could someone so dangerous kiss so gently?

The kiss ceased and Heero started to walk away.

Serena touched the cheek he just kissed. 'Why did he kiss me?' she thought as she watched him leave. 'I can't let him go. Not without telling him the truth.'

"Wait!" she shouted, "Heero, wait!" she ran to him and grabbed his wrist.

"Yes?"

"There's something you should know about me," she said.

By the sound of her voice, Heero could tell it was important.

*********************************************************

"And that's my story," Serena sighed, relieved that she shared it with him.

"When will you return?"

"I don't know, Heero," she said. "I've changed. So have the others. After meeting the gundam pilots, they probably won't want to leave."

"It's up to you," Heero said.

"It's kind of complicated though," Serena sighed, "I'm supposed to get married to someone and if I stay here, that won't happen. But I was flying in my gundam and I saw something. I saw all my different selves die and then I saw my new self. If I return back home I'll probably become the same Serena I used to be."

"You have the ZERO system?" Heero demanded.

"Yes."

"It's dangerous."

"I know," she said, "but I can handle it. Does your gundam have it?"

He nodded. "I saw something too, right before I came to save Relena."

"What did you see?"

"I saw you."

Serena sighed, "I guess that means I'm your worst enemy, huh?"

"The ZERO system shows you more than that," Heero said. "It can answer your questions."

"I wish it would tell me if I should stay or go," Serena said. "It won't show me anything."

"It doesn't work when you want it to," Heero said. "Only when it does."

"Then what's the point of having it then!" she demanded.

"I don't know," he replied. "I didn't make it."

"I need to be alone right now," she said, "I'm going for a ride in my gundam."

"Then maybe ZERO would show you something."

She nodded, "I hope so."

"Good luck," he wished, kissing her forehead and walked away.

Serena blushed for a split second. "It might not take me as long as I thought," she whispered to herself.

"Serena!" Rini shouted.

"Rini?" Serena gasped. "What are you doing here?"

"I've come back from the hospital to give you the news," she answered.

"News?"

"Mariemaia will be all right," she added.

"Thank goodness," Serena breathed.

"Yeah, that's good news," Rini muttered, "and when I come here I found some bad news!"

"You saw us?" Serena gasped.

"You like that guy, don't you?" Rini demanded.

"Don't be silly."

"He kissed you, Serena!" she screamed.

"But I didn't kiss him!" she barked.

"But you let him kiss you," Rini snapped. "What's wrong with you?"

"Rini, I--"

"You have changed," Rini said. "You're not my mother anymore!"

"I never was!" Serena shot back, "I'm still a teenager, Rini! Neo Queen Serenity is and that's not me!"

"Yes you are!"

"Then go back to the future if you want to be with your mother!" Serena shouted.

"I can't leave Mariemaia," Rini said, "she's still healing. I think I'll go and find Sally Po!"

"Sally Po?"

"She took care of Diana," Rini said, "Maybe she'll take care of me!" She turned and ran away.

"Rini, wait!" Serena started after her but stopped. She just didn't see the point in going after her. What she said was right. Serena wasn't Rini's mother anymore and never was and probably never will be.

"This stinks!" Serena muttered and got to her gundam, "I somehow wish we all stayed home!" She flew around for a few minutes and she saw a strange portal. "The Space Gate," Serena whispered, recognizing it at once. "Good."

Serena got out of her gundam and stepped into the familiar place of where Pluto spent most of her time. Serena suddenly felt an urge to have a talk with her.

"Pluto!" Serena yelled, "I want to talk to you!"

"What is it?" Pluto questioned.

"Why did you give us this mission to meet with the gundam pilots? Why did you let us interfere?"

"You didn't interfere," Pluto said.

"Yes we did!" she shouted, "The gundam pilots are 5 very attractive guys. Didn't you think this over before telling us to do this? You should have known we'd be attracted to all of them and now we don't want to leave! Even Rini doesn't want to come back home!"

"Calm down, Serena."

"Calm down?" she echoed, "Calm down? How can I calm down? I've fallen in love with Heero Yuy!"

Pluto gasped, "you've what? We warned you to stay away from him!"

"You've should have known this would've happened," Serena accused, "you should've left us out of it. Now look what happened!"

"You didn't have to accept the mission, Serena," Pluto reminded calmly. "Why did you?"

"Hey, you said Relena was my cousin," Serena mumbled, "and Luna and the other cats came to this different time and place for a reason. I guess I wanted to find out what it was. Protecting the innocent was my job as Sailor Moon. But I'm not Sailor Moon anymore. I've decided to stay with the United Earth Sphere Alliance!"

"You can't!" Pluto cried.

"It's my destiny; my choice!" Serena snapped, "I'm not going back home. Relena is my cousin and I want to be there incase someone drugs her tea again. Pluto, as the guardian of space time, I want you to take away the future I have with Darien and Rini."

"But Rini would be heartbroken," Pluto mumbled.

"She already knows," Serena muttered. "If Rini wants to be with her mother, fine. Then keep her in the future so I'll never see her again."

"But why?" Pluto begged, "Please, think it over! You're Neo Queen Serenity!"

"I have thought it over! I'm doing this for Rini and Darien. It would be much better for everyone if I just stay with Heero and Relena." Serena said, "now fix the future, Pluto."

"I've never done something like that before," Pluto said.

Serena pulled out her gun and raised it at Sailor Pluto, "I am Pilot Moon. It's my destiny and my choice. Take that future away. I don't want it! Do it, I said! I order you to do it!"

"All right. All right," Pluto whispered, backing up, "but shouldn't you talk to Darien first?"

"You're right," Serena placed the gun back in the holster. "I'm going to talk to him and then I want you to change the future."

"Why should I change it," Pluto began, "when you're about to do that yourself?"

"Just get me to Darien," she muttered.

Pluto nodded and the whole scenery changed to Darien's apartment. Serena was still dressed the same as she was. Gathering her courage, she knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" Darien asked, projecting his voice.

Serena cleared her throat and leaned to the door, "Darien, it's me."

"Serena?" Darien opened the door. "Hey, Meatball--whoa! What did you do to your hair?"

Serena walked passed him without smiling or grabbing his arm. It surprised him. It was the first time she came to his apartment without squealing or hugging him.

"My hair's not the only thing that's changed," Serena muttered.

"Yeah, I've noticed the new wardrobe," Darien said. "Where've you been Serena? I haven't seen you for a while."

"I guess Luna hasn't told you," Serena said.

"Told me what?"

"I'm on a different mission," she replied, her back to him as she looked outside. It felt kind of hot in the room so she opened the window to get some air. "You were so busy with college and everything that I guess we didn't think to inform you."

"You guys didn't tell me?" Darien demanded, feeling a little angry.

"We wouldn't have needed you anyway," Serena said.

"What are you talking about, Serena?" Darien questioned, "Of course you guys do."

"Maybe we used to," she said. "But we're stronger now. We've all changed."

Darien was surprised by the tone of her voice. She wasn't yelling or stuttering and her voice didn't rise at all. It was stone cold and serious.

"Look at me, Serena," Darien ordered, reaching for her arm.

"Don't even think about it, Darien!" she snapped, slapping his hand away.

"Serena," he mumbled in surprise.

"When I needed you where were you?" she demanded, trying to keep her voice from wavering. "Huh? Where you ever around when I needed a shoulder to cry on? When I was lonely, where you ever there?"

"Of course I was," he said, "I always came at the--"

"No you didn't!" she shouted and then paused to lower her voice, "Tuxedo Mask did. It's not the same."

"I don't understand."

"Of course you don't," she said. "You never loved me, did you? No, you didn't! But you somehow found time to show up to help the scouts, right? But what about me, huh? What about me?!"

"I was thinking of you!"

Serena found herself screaming, "The hell you were! Tuxedo Mask came for Sailor Moon and her pathetic sailor soldiers but was Darien ever there for poor Serena? Noooo! You were always studying something or making cocoa! Dammit, Darien, I need more than cocoa! I need love!"

He started to walk to her.

"Don't come any closer!" she held him at gunpoint. "Stay right there!"

"Whoa, Serena, what are you doing with a gun?"

"You can't love me," Serena sniffed, trying to keep her tears under control. She felt her hands shaking as she held the gun up. It felt heavy but it didn't feel all that heavy when she shot Dekim or held it at Pluto. "You never did!"

"Serena, calm down," he said softly. "Put the gun away."

"I am not Serena!" she shouted, "Serena's dead and so is Sailor Moon. She wasn't strong enough. You thought I was happy when I was Serena? I wasn't! I had a crush on almost every guy I saw besides you. I start to go nuts when I see junk food. I'd rather eat and sleep rather than studying for school, which is what I'm supposed to be doing! What kind of life is that?" she questioned, "come on, Darien, tell me! How can someone be happy with that kind of life?"

"You were happy, Serena," he said.

"I was not!"

"What's wrong, Serena?" he asked, "What happened to the old Serena full of life and dreams?"

"She woke up and got a new life!" Serena answered with a fierce snap. Her hands were shaking again. 'Don't lose control, Serena' she thought. "You weren't there when I needed you. Now, I don't need you anymore. I'm strong enough to take care of myself."

"Could you put the gun down, Serena?" he asked. "I don't think you even know how to use it."

"Oh no?" she fired the gun at his feet, making him jump back and raising his arms up in the air. "Still don't think I know how? Want me to show you again?"

"Okay, okay," Darien mumbled, "I was wrong. You do know how to use a gun. Just be careful or you'll wake my neighbors!"

"Just don't move," she ordered. "I don't want to shoot you Darien, but I will if you move one inch closer to me!"

"You wouldn't shoot me," he said.

"You really believe that?" she held the gun at his chest. "You think I'm bluffing, Darien? I'm not!"

"Think of Rini," Darien reminded, "If you shoot me, she won't exist."

"Well, she should've stayed in the future where she belonged!" Serena snapped.

"Why are you being so cold?" Darien questioned. "What happened to you, Serena?"

"Oh, I'm cold and insensitive now?" she demanded, "Well, excuse me, mister, but you wrote the book on how to be insensitive!"

"You don't mean that," Darien said.

"For your information, I am thinking of you and Rini. I'm thinking of more than just myself here," Serena said. "It's better this way!"

"What way?"

"You really want to know where I was?" she questioned, "I was in the future to visit my cousin! It's a whole different time and place. It's much different from the Moon Kingdom or Crystal Tokyo. It's wonderful over there. The scouts and I were on a mission to help five young men."

"Who were they?"

"They call themselves gundam pilots," she said, "and after meeting them I don't think we'll ever come back."

"The sailor scouts won't be back?" he asked, "but we need them here!"

"We are not sailor scouts anymore!" she shouted, "The sailor scouts are dead! We are gundam pilots now! I'm not Serena or the moon princess or Neo Queen Serenity…I'm not even Sailor Moon! Dammit, Darien, I'm PILOT MOON! I've met someone and he made me want to be strong. I feel strong whenever I'm around him. I'm even in love with him."

"Serena, no!" he gasped.

"I am," Serena muttered. "Relena said I could stay with her. Heero loves me too. You can't force me to come back. Relena's my cousin and I'm staying with her."

"But you're generations apart!" he shouted.

"Why should that matter?" Serena demanded. "We're still family."

"And so is Rini! I'm your family too!"

"She's not just my cousin, Darien!" she snapped, "Relena's my friend!"

"You have friends here," he reminded, "think about Andrew, and Elizabeth, Molly…"

"I don't care," she hissed. "I'm staying with Heero. I've made up my mind."

"I think it's cool that you met a family member from the future," Darien said, trying to sound understanding for once, "but think of what would happen back here if you would stay. What if something went wrong over here and the sailor scouts weren't around to stop it?"

"Then you'll have to take care of it yourself. The outers can take care of it." She said. "Relena promotes peace in her time and she's almost there. If something wants me, then they would have to go to the future to get me."

"Don't do this," Darien begged.

"I'm sorry, Darien," she muttered, "it's better this way, for the both of us. You can forget all about me and focus on your studies. Maybe you'll become a professor or something."

"But I don't want to."

"I'm afraid you will," she said, "Pluto will fix the future so that Rini won't exist."

"Why does she have to do that?" Darien asked, "You've done that by yourself already!"

"I don't want to marry you," she said, "I don't want to be a mother to Rini and I don't want to be queen. This is my life, my destiny, my choice and I decide to be a gundam pilot! And not you or anyone can stop me!"

The wind blew in through the window with a few raindrops. The shutters rattled so Serena turned to close them. She heard Darien's footsteps. He was planning on taking the gun away.

"I said don't move!" she shouted and fired the gun.

Darien gasped and grabbed his chest. He looked up at Serena in surprise, "you…weren't…bluffing," he gasped as he fell back.

Serena couldn't believe it. She lowered her gun slowly and looked at Darien. "What have I done?" she asked herself, her voice wavering.

To Be Continued. Next Chapter: You Pilot Me