Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Reflection ❯ Broken Promise ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Aya: Yay! I got 9 reviews! 9! 9! 9! 9!
Duo: ALRIGHT ALREADY!!!
Aya: *cringe* Sorry, got carried away. Anyway, here is the recent poll for Wuffer's heart! ^^
WufeixYukina- 2
WufeixZechs-1
WufeixTreize- 1
WufeixSally- 0
WufeixMeiran- 0
WufeixBotan- 0

Wufei: THISis injustice*twitch twitch*
Aya: *rolls eyes* Oh, and at the end of this chappy is a little extra side story I did. It's kind of weird, but I'm going to start doing things like little quizzes and side stories on the after-log, seeing as I know I can't put it in the story. So, review and read! ^^
Quatre: Disclaimer: Aya does not own Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing, or the *twitch* THING at the after-log... Although I AM thinking of sueing her for being sexually harassed last chapter
Aya: QUATRE!!! >.< And what EXACTLY do you mean ' thing'?!!! It's not even OU being tortured-err, I mean, well
Eve r yone else: -.- Yeah.
Aya: Shaddup. Oh, and after this chapter, I will take reviews on Wufei's pairing, and will announce results next chappy. So REVIEW!


Broken Promise :

"So, you doing anything on the weekend?" Duo asked Quatre. The three were in the library, doing study group together for Mr. Koenma's Social Studies class. "Well, Trowa invited me to a movie..." Quatre said. Duo quirked an eyebrow and smirked. "Really? Well, don't wanna disturb you! Have fun!" Duo said, patting Quatre's back. Quatre blushed and smiled. Kurama, who was preoccupied with a book on how to grow vegetables properly, finally looked up from his book. "Duo, did you want to go shopping this weekend? I could use some more rose seeds." Kurama said. Duo nodded. "Sure, but we HAVE to stop by the toy store this time! You PROMISED!!" Duo whined. Kurama sighed in defeat. "Whatever you want." Kurama said flatly. Quatre raised an eyebrow, but decided not to ask.


"The toy store?" Heero repeated. Botan nodded. "I overheard them. Kurama is taking both him and Duo shopping. Oh, Trowa, why didn't you tell us you were going on a date with Quatre?" Botan asked bluntly. Everyone nearly spit out their drinks. "You WHAT?!!!" they chorused at Trowa. He blinked. "He asked him out when we were driving him home." Cathy said, smirking. Trowa sipped his water. "A movie and dinner." Cathy explained, making up for her brother's silence. Yusuke smirked. "I'm happy for you, man! Knock him dead!" Yusuke said happily. Trowa chose to ignore him and continue sipping his water idly. "Maybe I should buy Vaseline ..." Cathy murmured. It was Trowa's turn for a spit take.


"Do you guys need a ride home?" Quatre asked, after seeing his two friends walk to wherever their home was every day. The three were just outside the school gate. Kurama smiled. "Thank you, but no. We enjoy walking." Kurama replied. "Pfft. It's more like you enjoy frolicking through the flowers." Duo teased. "'Frolicking'? Have you ACTUALLY been paying attention during your English class?" Kurama asked, amused. Duo stuck his tongue out at him. "Ha ha ha! Only because Quatre keeps poking my head to keep me awake." Duo muttered. Kurama rolled his eyes.

"Well, if it isn't thee three nancy-boys!" a snobbish voice said from behind them. They turned to see Alex and Mueller, from the lacrosse team, and their followers, Goki, Bui, and Ranmaru. "Nancy-boys?" Quatre repeated, confused. Kurama sighed. "Hello, pig heads." Duo replied snidely. They fumed. "Watch it, pretty boy, or we'll chop off your precious rope!" Alex snapped. Duo rolled his eyes. "Oh, that's the best threat I've heard in AGES!" he said dryly.

"What do you want? We have homework to do, and we can't waste time." Kurama replied calmly. "Aw, isn't that cute? Kurama is such a good wittle boy, doing his homework and chores! I bet your mommy is SO happy to have such a perfect little boy!!" Ranmaru teased, talking babyish. The thugs laughed. Kurama tensed, and Quatre could sense his friends were VERY angry and VERY bothered.

" That's it, you're going down." Duo hissed, before he suddenly disappeared, and seemed to reappear in front of Bui, punching him in the gut. Bui was immediately knocked unconscious . Kurama came up behind Alex, and hit him in the back of the neck with his hand, rendering him unconscious as well. Duo tripped Mueller, who tried to charge at him, and kicked him in the face. He then punched Goki repeatedly in the face, before punching him hard enough to break his nose. Kurama kicked and punched Ranmaru with just enough force so he couldn't fight back. He picked him up by the collar. "Now, what were you saying about my mother?" Kurama asked icily. Ranmaru seemed to shrink under the intense glare. Duo stood to Kurama's right, glaring just as fiercely at him. Quatre was still standing where he was, in a state of shock.

"Kurama?! Duo?! What the hell happened?!!" Yusuke's voice yelled from behind them. Duo and Quatre turned to see Hiei, Heero, Yusuke, Yukina, and Trowa running to them. Kurama kept his eyes on Ranmaru. Kurama pushed Ranmaru into the gate, and turned just in time to see them slowing and stopping. Their eyes widened at the sight that lay before them. Bui and Alex were out cold, Mueller had a footprint on his face, and a bloody nose and black eyes. Goki's nose was crushed, and he had black eyes as well. Ranmaru was pale, shivering, and covered in bruises. In the center were Kurama and Duo, with spots of blood on their clothing.

"Aw, damn!! These better not stain, or I'm sending you my cleaning bill!!" Duo whined, noticing the spots of blood. Kurama's once icy eyes softened, and looked back at Quatre. "We better get going. I wasn't kidding when I said we had homework. Come on, Duo." Kurama said, and turned and began walking away. Duo grinned, waved, and ran off after him. They stared after the pair.

"What the hell happened?!!" Hiei demanded, and Quatre cringed. Trowa glared at Hiei, who backed off a bit, but was still annoyed, confused, and angry. "Well...they started insulting us, and Duo got annoyed, so he...punched Bui. Kurama joined and well...that." Quatre said, indicating to the crippled boys on the sidewalk. Heero stared at the space where they once were. "How long?" he finally asked. "Huh? Oh ... maybe a minute at most..." Quatre stuttered. Should I really tell them this much...? He thought to himself. Yusuke's eyes bulged. "A minute or less?!! What are they, super humans ?!!" he yelped. Hiei grunted. "No, you baka. They're...strong. And trained." Hiei faltered.


"It's been awhile since we've beaten the crap out of someone." Duo said. Kurama nodded. They walked in silence for a few minutes. "You know...I really do suck at keeping promises." Duo mused bitterly. Kurama glanced at him. "It doesn't matter." Kurama said. Duo shrugged. "Yeah, I guess it doesn't. After all, the one I promised it to is already dead." Duo said bitterness in his voice. "Sometimes it's better not to keep promises." Kurama finally spoke.

Duo stared down at his bloodied up shirt. "But most of the time, it's for the better." Duo mumbled. Kurama chose not to respond. "I may run and hide, but I'll never tell a lie. Maybe that's...just a lie itself." Duo said, smiling faintly. Kurama sighed. "That's all humanity does, Duo. We think nothing more than of ourselves. Everything is a lie, and greed and pain. That's all humanity will ever know." Kurama stated coldly. "Sometimes, I wonder if death is too good for us." he added. Duo smirked. "Death takes all who wish for it." Duo smirked.

// "You know, Duo, your name is like a telling of your past and future. Everywhere you go, you will never be alone. Isn't that ironic, though? Seeing as you kill just about everyone who does get close."//

The familiar voice echoed in his head. Duo glanced at Kurama. He wasn't gone. But it was only a matter of time. It always was. "Are you wondering when I'll die again?" Kurama asked, not even glancing at Duo. Duo laughed. "You're so freaky. I swear, you have an eye on each side of your head." Duo joked. Kurama smirked. "No, it's just it's easy to tell what you're thinking when you're quiet." Kurama said. Duo blinked and shrugged it off. "Yeah yeah. So I'm easy to read, bite me. I mean, I can't read you, your mind is WAY too twisted." Duo said lightly. "Yes, but ay least it's not as kinky as Quatre's." Kurama replied. Duo laughed. "Low blow." he sniggered.

As Mr. Zechs droned on about how many digits were in pi, Duo fiddled with his braid. Little did the unsuspecting victim (Duo) know that Perfect Student (Heero) was staring at him. Actually, Heero didn't even know he was staring at him.

5, 8, 9, 3 shoot, I forgot where I was. I'll just start over! Zechs said, and started over counting all the digits in piagain. Wufei banged his head on the table. Yusuke and Kuwabara, who surprisingly weren't ditching, fell asleep. Like more than half the class. The only reason Duo wasn't asleep was because he kept thinking about how his braid might have split ends! The horror!

Duo, after finally losing interest in his braid, glanced up to meet Prussian blue eyes. A minute passed by. Then two. Heero was still staring at Duo, not realizing it. Duo, now agitated, picked up an eraser and threw it at Heero's head. A second passed. "Ow!" Heero yelped. Score one for Duo. Zechs quirked an eyebrow at his student. Then paled. "I forgot where I was again! Damn, I'll just have to start over..." Zechs continued.

Heero glared murderously at Duo. Duo smiled innocently and shrugged, before holding up his notebook paper saying 'You were the one staring at me, Hee-chan!'. Heero paled. He was? Duo snickered and decided drawing chibi Duos with scythes glomping on to Heero was a fun pass-time. Heero decided glaring holes in the wall would be better than glaring at Yusuke.

When the bell finally rang, Duo glomped on to Heero's arm. "So, Hee-chan, I guess we're off to English, huh?!" Duo said hyperactively. Heero glowered. Yusuke grinned. "You gonna pull something on the old geezer, Duo?" Yusuke asked. Duo grinned back and shook his head. "Nah. I don't want to be responsible if he has a seizure." Duo said snidely. Yusuke laughed.

Duo let go of Heero's arm only to glomp on to Quatre. "Hey, kitten! Where's Tro-bear?" Duo asked. Quatre blushed, but hid it. "H-He had to get his textbook from his locker, then had to go to the nurse to get his hearing and sight test." Quatre stammered. Duo rolled his eyes. "Riight. Too bad foxy is in the accelerated class for English, the bastard." Duo grumbled. The four walked into Mr. Hale's class and sat down.

"Alright, today we're talking about Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet!" Mr. Hale droned on. Duo started to tune out after the first few words. He was learning from Kurama. Duo, not getting much sleep last night due to a mental spring cleaning, was just about ready to fall asleep. Wonderful dreamland was calling him, with edible candy everywhere and no school. Just him, all alone. Then, his head slipped out of his hand and down on the desk, hard.

Yusuke snickered, Heero ignored him, and Quatre rolled his eyes. "Am I boring you, Mr. Maxwell?" Mr. Hale asked icily. Duo yawned. "Yeah. Could you show ANY more enthusiasm in your talking, you're like a robot." Duo replied boredly. The class started to giggle. Mr. Hale glared at him. "Well, then, Mr. Maxwell, what exactly is YOUR philosophy on love?!" Mr. Hale demanded. Duo openly stared at him, dumbfounded.

Is that what we were talking about? Love? A few seconds passed in a tense silence. Mr. Hale was now getting worried, as were Duo's friends. A silent Duo was never heard before within the walls of Gundam High. It was a scary thing. Was the apocalypse upon them? Yusuke looked around to check.

"Duo...?" Quatre squeaked. "Love, huh?" Duo began in his casual tone. No one relaxed. It was his casual tone, but oddly sharp. "Does love really exist, I wonder. Maybe it's nothing more than humanity's desire to create something good for once. Love is nothing but a lie. It makes one believe that such a great thing exists, that hopes and dreams do come true, but it's actually nothing more than an illusion so we don't see the hurt we bring other's in our actions to achieve our dreams of this so-called 'love'. Love does not exist." Duo said flatly, but his eyes were distant, and he seemed to gain a whole different persona.

Everyone stared at him dumbfounded. Then the classroom door opened and Trowa walked in. He looked at his class and quirked an eyebrow. "Um...well, that's a ...interesting philosophy, Mr. Maxwell. Thank you for sharing. Mr. Barton, please take a seat." Mr. Hale said uncomfortably. The class resumed, but the tension was still high, and Duo was now serious and quiet for the rest of the period.


By the time the bell rang for lunch, everyone heard about what Duo had said. However, Quatre and the others had no time to ask Duo to clarify his explanation, because Kurama appeared and dragged him away. "I wonder what that was about." Quatre said. Yusuke shrugged. "You never know, Duo could have been trying to be funny." he offered. "That answer seems hardly like a joke, Yusuke." Keiko snapped.


Duo glumly looked at his feet. "It's not MY fault that stupid teacher asked me!" he tried in defense of himself. He could feel Kurama roll his eyes. "Well, before our friends get TOO suspicious, let's go back. Avoid the matter as much as you can, and never answer." Kurama said. "Of course, master." Duo replied sarcastically. Kurama rolled his eyes, and continued his way to the cafeteria.

Quatre perked up when he saw a familiar red-head, followed by a bouncy, grinning Duo. "There you two are!" he said, promptly standing up, making his other friends jump. "Hey, what were the two of you doing?" Yusuke asked. Kurama shrugged and smirked. "Making out. Why do you ask?" he said casually, causing Hiei and Heero to choke on their lunch, and Quatre to almost lose his footing. Duo grinned. "He's kidding, guys. Jeez." Duo said, laughing a bit.

"Although his vanilla shampoo is vary...alluring." Kurama said, sitting next to Hiei thoughtfully. Duo snickered. "Yeah, but your rose shampoo blocks it all out." Duo added. Kurama shrugged, and started drinking Hiei's juice. "Hey!" Hiei protested. "What? It's not MY fault you and I have the same taste in juice." Kurama said. Hiei whapped him in the head.

"So, Duo...we were just wondering about what you said back in English." Keiko said, taking the direct approach. Duo shrugged carelessly. "He asked what I thought, so I gave it to him." Duo said. "And why is it you think that way?" Heero asked, annoyed. Duo looked him in the eye with a dangerous spark. "Isn't that a little bit intrusive, guys?" Duo said sharply. They were taken aback.

"So...what do you think about love, Kurama? Yukina asked. Kurama thought a bit. "Well...if you want the truth, I have to agree with Duo's philosophy." Kurama said. "Are you serious?!" Yusuke nearly shouted in confusion. "Of course. It is true, in my eyes, anyway." Kurama said, taking another gulp of Hiei's juice.

"Will you stop drinking my juice, fox!!" Hiei yelled indignantly. Kurama chuckled, and gulped down the last of Hiei's juice. "Yummy." he said. Hiei growled. "I-hate-you." Hiei ground out. Kurama smiled at him merrily. "Aw, but firefly, I just LOVE you!" he purred. Hiei blushed an interesting shade of red and growled at him. Yusuke snickered.

"So, Trowa, I heard you're going to take kitty out." Kurama started casually. Trowa remained silent, and Quatre blushed. "Just remember, back rows are the make-out rows, middle rows are the flirting rows, and front rows are the watching rows!" Duo added helpfully. Quatre blushed, Trowa controlled his blush, and Quatre expertly threw a pack of nuts at Duo's head. He easily caught them, made a disgusted face, and tossed it to Kurama. "Nuts? Ew." Kurama said, sticking out his tongue and handed it to Kuwabara. The packet seemed to be the pawn in a game of Hot Potato before making its way back to Quatre.

"Uh-oh, Prissy the Cyborg is heading this way." Duo whispered to Kurama, who glanced up to see Mukuro. "That's a better code language than Yusuke's ." Hiei said before Mukuro came up to him. "Hiei, I was...uh...wondering if you'd....like to go to the movies with me tonight?" Mukuro proposed. Kurama smirked and Duo snickered. "Ah, if only I didn't hate her so much, I'd think that was cute." Kurama said to Duo, although everyone heard it. Mukuro shot him a glare.

"Hn. Busy." Hiei said. "How about tomorrow?" she tried. "Busy." he replied again. She asked for every single day of the week, and Hiei said the same thing. Kurama was now getting annoyed. Doesn't she know when she's been rejected? he thought to himself. Suddenly, before Mukuro could start for the next week, he grabbed Hiei's hands in his own, put on big, dewy eyes at him, and looked serious.

"Hiei, will you MARRY me?!!" he said, sounding in a girly-voice that somewhat resembled Mukuro's. There was a pause, before Duo burst out laughing. Hiei, along with everyone else, didn't realize what was going on, before Kurama smirked. "Gotcha." he said, winking. Hiei glared at him, before whapping him in the head. "You're such an abusive BOYFRIEND, HIEI!!" Kurama yelped teasingly.

Duo was still laughing his ass off, and Kurama was smirking. "I-hate-you." Hiei ground out again. "Oh my, it's like I heard that all before!" Kurama exclaimed in mock-surprise. Duo did the sound from the Twilight Zone. "That's because, Kurama, you are in...the Twilight Zone." Duo said seriously. Kurama snickered and Duo laughed. Yusuke laughed so hard he almost fell over, if not for Keiko.

"Okay, guys, don't pick on Hiei too much." Botan said, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Why? Does he have high blood pressure? I bet Hee-babe does." Duo said. "Don't call me that." Heero snarled at him. Mukuro gave a final glare at Kurama for taking Hiei's attention away from her, and stalked away to who-knows-where to plot the apocalypse (in Duo's words).
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*






Aya: Okay, so now most of the angst is coming in, and LOTS of lil hints. Hope it don't ruin the story
Quatre: Without it, would there even BE a story?
Aya: True. Now, time for the side story!

Culture Fest:

"The frame isn't straight enough!" Heero said, leveling the onigiri stand with a hammer. Duo snorted. "It doesn't have to be perfect, Hee-chan! It's only going to stand for one day!" Duo said. "Make it straight." Heero ordered. "No." Duo replied, sticking out his tongue. Heero then tackled Duo to the ground, and they rolled and tossed around on the floor.

Hiei easily maneuvered out of the way of the fighting pair, but Yusuke was not as lucky. "ITAI!!" Yusuke yelped, joining in on the mayhem. Hiei sighed. "You three better not knock anything down." he said, before putting up the sign on the stand. It said 'The Dreaded Surprise Onigiri, buy 3 and get one surprise onigiri free!'. He looked around. "Hey, where's fox?" Hiei asked Duo, who was panting on the floor along with Heero and Yusuke.

"He was summoned by the high devils (senior girls) to be their sacrifice to the God of Pink (he has no idea why)." Hiei rolled his eyes. "Did you just call Kurama 'fox'?" Yusuke asked. Hiei glared. "Shut up." he said.

*~~In class 3-D~*

"PLEASE, Kurama!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!" a bunch of senior girls begged their junior peer. Kurama sweatdropped. "Well, um, uh..." he faltered. They all had on their big, wet, sparkly puppy-dog eyes. Kurama's left eye twitched. Quatre wasn't allowed near this class anymore.

"Okay, fine." Kurama sighed. They all cheered with excitement. One girl gave Kurama the thing he was supposed to wear for the Culture Fest. The senior girls got it especially for him. A scarlet dress with a black, long-sleeve jacket and a giant bow in the back.

*~Culture Fest~*

"*snort* So, Kurama, you're...really going like that?" Duo said, trying VERY hard to contain his smothered laughter. The pair was in the bathroom, helping Kurama get changed into his lovely costume. Kurama glared at Duo.

"This is very demeaning for me, you know. The only reason I DID accept it was because I would like to see Hiei's face when he sees me in it." Kurama explained. Duo, no longer able to hold down his laughter, laughed so hard tears came to his eyes. Kurama smirked. "What? Don't I look RAVISHING?" Kurama asked. Duo kept laughing.

"I wonder what's so funny." Botan said. Keiko nodded in agreement. They heard Duo's laughter through the wall. The onigiri stand was ready for business, and they had early customers. A flock of senior girls were in the room. Quatre was beginning to worry.

"What's wrong?" Catherine asked. "Well...I hope everything is okay. I mean, Duo laughing is a bad sign, he's kind of a sadist." Quatre explained. Wufei twitched. "Sadist doesn't even begin to cover it." he muttered. Hiei cocked an eyebrow.

"What's REALLY annoying are those girls. They're so loud..." Yusuke grumbled. Kuwabara nodded in agreement. "At least we're selling onigiri! If this keeps up, we'll be first in the food division." Yukina said, always highlighting the bright side.

At that moment, Duo walked in, grinning. "Oh, you guys are SO going to enjoy this." he said happily. "What did you do to Kurama?" Quatre asked dryly. "It's more like what those senior girls did to him." he snickered. "C'mon, foxy, we don't have all day! Show us those sexy legs of yours!" Duo called out into the hallway, effectively shutting everyone up. "Duo, I'm going to KILL you!!" Kurama yelled back.

Duo laughed. Then Kurama walked in, dressed in the dress with lipstick and eyeliner for completion. He twitched. "I can't believe I let you convince me to put make-up on." Kurama gritted through his teeth. Yusuke, Kuwabara, Wufei, and the girls all giggled and laughed. The seniors eyes got all wide and they looked ready to eat him. Hiei's jaw dropped, and he looked ready to jump Kurama on the spot.

Kurama crossed his arms over his chest, and leaned a bit to the side, like a girl would. "Well? Am I hot or what?" Kurama smirked at his friends. Yusuke had tears in his eyes. "Careful, Kurama, Hiei looks ready to jump you!" Yusuke got out between laughs. Kurama smirked. "Just the reaction I wanted." Kurama said, before sitting down. Hiei glared, blushed, and stuffed an onigiri down Yusuke's throat for that comment. "ONIGIRI FIGHT!!!" Duo yelled, before onigiri were sporadically thrown everywhere.

*~End~~*








< br>













< br>













< br>