Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Normal Life ❯ Chapter 15

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:
It's not mine...

Authoress Note: Well, it turns out that band camp ended before I even got to post the last chapter on FF.net... Well, I hope they get everything fixed up soon...

* * * * *

A Normal Life: Chapter 15

* * * * *

"Relena. Relena, wake up." a deep, masculine voice entered Relena's dreams. She rolled over, and tried to block out the sound. All of a sudden she was shaking, or rather, being shaken. "Wake up, we have to go." the voice came again.

"Wha...." she blinked, trying to figure out what was going on. "Heero...?"

"They know you're here, we have to get out." he said, bluntly, and immediately regretted it. The flash of fear in her eyes seemed to rip into his soul. Heero gently wrapped am arm around her shoulders and held her close. "It'll be OK...."

She leaned against his shoulder and closed her eyes. Seconds later, they snapped open, full of worry. "The girls! What about Ayame and Aiko?"

"They're waiting in the garage with Duo and Karou...lets go." he said, and lifted her out of the bed.

"Wait." she ordered, and wormed out of his embrace. She grabbed a sweater and shrugged it on, suddenly glad she had fallen asleep in her clothes that night. She then grabbed his hand and looked up at him. "Give me a gun, too." He raised his eyebrows, surprised.

"But...you're a pacifist-"

"Pacifism doesn't work. Mariemaia proved that. Just give me a gun." He was about to protest, but thought better of it. He pulled out the extra pistol he had, and handed it to her.

"Be careful. The safety's off." he said softly. She nodded curtly, and held onto tightly, he fingers avoiding the trigger.

They crept as silently as possible through the house, until they came to the front door. There was no other way to get to the garage, where the bikes were. Heero carefully and slowly opened the door. Relena gasped as a wave a freezing air swept over her. Together they stepped out into the night.

Relena, who was still barefoot, shivered as she stepped out onto the cold concrete, but she tried to keep quiet. She looked up at Heero, studying him. His eyes flicked around in all directions, as he kept his head straight ahead. It occurred to her that he hadn't been as bad in the 'Overprotective SOB' area as she thought. Suddenly, a small red dot appeared on the side of his head.

"No..." she whispered, as she tried to spot it's source. There... she saw it...the laser sight sticking out of the bushes across the road. Without any prior warning, without even a preparatory breath, she brought the gun up and fired at the laser sight.

Heero, in reaction to the gunshot, threw Relena flat on the ground, and glanced in all directions, taking in everything. A solder staggered out of the bushes, holding his shoulder, blood pouring from between his fingers. Heero quickly dispatched him with a single shot to the head.

As soon as that was done, he pulled Relena up and they ran for the garage. All three motorcycles were on and ready to go. Karou and Duo were ready to go with the girls. Heero and Relena quickly got on the last bike, and set off, the other two close behind. Relena wrapped her arms tightly around Heero, holding on for dear life as he took the turn onto the road faster then ever before.

Relena's grip on Heero's waist suddenly tightened so much that he almost couldn't breath. Then it relaxed as she leaned limply against his back. His mind raced as he tried to avoid any further shots. Was she hit? Is she OK? Relena?

He turned right sharply onto another surface street. After a few moments he heard Relena softly sobbing. He turned his head to check on the others. He saw both bikes following him, and nodded to himself.

They turned onto a main street, and sped for the highway. At one of the red lights, he heard a soft whisper behind him. "Heero?"

"Relena, are you OK?" he asked, gently. She didn't answer, she just held onto him tightly.

They got onto the highway and headed for the Cinq Kingdom's capital. After an hour, they pulled over at a rest stop.

"We can't stay here for long, they might be following us." He said, as they got off of the bike. She stood next to the bike hugging herself, trying to keep warm, and keep back the tears that were so uncharacteristic for her. Heero gently wrapped his warms arms around her, and held her. He ran his fingers through her hair, comforting her.

"I...I shot him..."

"Shh, it's OK. He would have done worse to you."

"Heero, he was going to kill you." she sobbed. "I saw the laser sight...on your head..." she cried into his shoulder.

She...she saved my life... he thought, pulling her still closer to him. "It's alright...

The other two bikes pulled up beside them. Duo hopped off, and then turned around and lifted the sleeping Aiko off the bike. Instead of settling the girl on the ground, he just cradled her in his arms. Karou picked up Ayame and set her on the ground, where she ran as fast as she could to where Heero was holding Relena, and demanded to be held as well.

Relena smiled, and leaned down to pick her up. She held Ayame close, and assured the scared child that everything was alright, with Heero's arms still wrapped around her waist. Karou settled herself down on the curb, and started to utter a string of curses.

"Karou, are you alright?" Heero asked, not able to see her over the bike.

"I just got grazed." she said, binding the wound with strips torn off of her shirt.

"Where?" he asked.

"In the leg, it's not bad." she assured him.

"Can you still drive?"

"I have been for the past hour, idiot."

He smiled softly, and looked down at Relena.

She looked up at him, and said "We'd better get going." He nodded, and moved back towards the bike. He stopped as a flashing red light caught his eye. He examined the small device, before pulling it off the bike and crushing it between his fingers.

"Tracking device." he said, scanning the other two bikes for a similar object. Finding nothing, he turned back to his own bike and got on, Relena climbing on after him.

Karou stood, biting her tounge to keep from crying out in pain. Heero send a glare her way, and she glared back. "I'm fine." She picked up Ayame and the two of them got on the bike. Duo got Aiko onto his bike, and they set off again.

Relena buried her face into Heero's back and held onto him tightly as they drove into the pre-dawn darkness.

* * * * *

"Well?" the Commander asked, sounding uninterested. He lit a cigarette, and held it to his mouth.

"We failed, Commander." the boy who drew the short straw reported.

"Oh?" his face twitched. "Why?"

"Yuy." he replied, simply. It was enough to explain everything.

"I see." the Commander said, a puff of smoke escaping his lips. The young officer trembled with fear. "You made a mistake."

"Yes, sir." the officer tried to keep his voice from cracking.

"Go and fix it." the Commander ordered, sounding old and tired. He played with the cigarette in his hands, watching it smolder.

"Yes, sir!"

The officer left the room as fast as he possibly could, breathing a great sigh of relief as soon as the door hissed shut.

"Well, it's nice to know that Yuy is doing his job." a tall blond-haired man said, startling the officer. His eyes widened as he recognized the man before him.

"Z-zechs Marquise...." he stuttered, backing up against the wall.

A gunshot rang out. The officer sank to the ground, his blood staining the door behind him. The blond man kicked the body out of the way, and opened the door to the Commander's office.

The cigarette burned out.

* * * * *

This took a while to get out, I know, but I'm not good at any sort of action. (Well, I can do food-fights OK...both in writing and in real life!)

Some people have *ahem* expressed a desire for me to continue some of my other unfinished stories. I'd like to get to work on those too, but I want to finish this ficcie first. (Which may prove difficult, as I have no clue where it's going.)

Anyways, thanks all for waiting for this chap! ^_^

*hugs for all*

* * * * *

-Ayanami_Chan
ayanami_rei@softhome.net
http://go.to/aya nami_shrine