Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ As Fate Would Have It ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Hey all you party people out there



Hey all you party people out there! How's it goin? Is anyone still reading this? You are? GREAT! Cool! I have readers! Heh…heh…nvm. Sorry, this part wasn't out last weekend, I had WAY too much homework! I think I need to like, maim my teachers or something. Especially that Mrs. Crocker…::shudders:: Anywhooey patooey, this fic is dedicated in it's entirety to Reveena OathBlood (rather known as Anna). HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! Ooh! Also another special thanx to my new editor-in-chief, Jenn!(or SHADOWSIREN, whatever) Thanks a bunch girl, you rock!

Disclaimer: (from than new DBZ card game commercial) "It's just as I expected…very cool"- Picollo



As Fate would have it: part 2

"Wha, wha-," she stuttered, as the initial shock eventually wore off. "What are you doing here?" In truth, she wasn't that angry to see him here. She was almost glad that she would have someone to talk to. But this was Wufei, and they didn't exactly have the ideal friendship.
He just stared at her. From his sitting position, looking straight into her eyes, never wavering.
And she stared back.
What am I doing? What is he doing? What is he doing here?! This was supposed to be strictly for me and my husband. Unless…no. No, no, no, he isn't, he can't. There is no way…right?
"What are you doing here?" she asked timidly.
And he stared.
And she stared back.
Brown eyes, he has brown eyes. Wait, what does that have to do with anything? I still don't know why he's here!
"This is reserved for me and my…friend… for the next two weeks. I don't think that you're supposed to be here."
He continued to bore into her eyes. But a small sliver of a…smirk appeared on his face. Smirk?! He was mocking her! Telling her without words the answer to a great riddle.
And she did the same, well, the staring anyway.
Stop this childish behavior! This isn't helping anything! But…but I can't…I can't. They hold the same intensity…They're laughing at me…he's telling me that he is supposed to be here. But…no…no, no, no…
She clutched her head and began to take backward steps toward the door.
"No…NO!" she stopped mid-stride and looked straight at him, eyes flashing with rage. "YOU CAN'T BE!"
His eyes shone with slight fury at her outburst. "I am."
Two words. That was all it took. The irony was sickening. Everyday she listened to words. She spoke them herself. Millions, trillions, all day everyday. And now, only two were her undoing. She sunk to her knees on the floor. He was, he is, he will be…
But, eyes flashing again, she whipped her head up to stare him directly in the eye. She was angry. Angry with her brother, angry with this whole stupid vacation, and angry most of all at him. Because he knew. He knew.
"You knew didn't you."
No response.
"DIDN'T YOU?!"
That imperious chin lifted and fell curtly. She was past angry now, she was infuriated.
"AND YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE DAMN WAR?!"
His eyes mirrored her own now, narrowed viscously into thin slits. He was obviously offended that she would cross that line like she did.
"You loved someone else." His voice, so bitter, so obviously trying to restrain anger.
That went straight to the gut. Because it was so true. And it took all she had to keep her irritated face from slipping. She needed to retort. It wasn't going to end like this, he wasn't getting off so easy.
"Why didn't you do ANYTHING after the war?" she bit out venomously.
"You weren't over Heero yet. Zechs instructed not to until you were."
Damn Milliardo. Damn him. Damn Wufei and his good points. Damn herself. Why now, of all times, did her diplomatic experience go to waste to leave the blubbering, indignant and bitter self she was? Damn.
But she wouldn't deal with this. Not now. She needed time to heal. It was late. The weariness tugged at her eyelids at the thought of the hour.
She stood abruptly, and muttered a quiet, "I'm going to bed, we'll talk in the morning" as she passed him. And before he had time to disagree, she was out the door and in the cold and lonely silence of the hallway.

She didn't know how she reached her bed in her sweats and T-shirt. She didn't know how she was now on the verge of what should be peaceful oblivion. She didn't know why she was so tired. Everything was a blur. The battle in the library was a mixture of spitting comments and emotions. Only one thing stood clear in her mind from the entire day.
He had brown eyes.


Morning came too early for the peacekeeper. The indignant rays shone all too brightly through the high-up window, blinding her entire face. One groggy eye opened, only to be immediately shaded by a delicate hand. She turned her head to the side and absently checked the time.
11:00.
Relena immediately bolted out of bead. She was sure to have a meeting sometime today. She would have to ask Noin why she hadn't woken her by now. And ask Pegan for a new alarm clock, because her current one obviously wasn't working properly. She opened the closet carefully, and examined the interior. Whose clothes were these? They obviously weren't hers, or at least not her normal clothes anyway…oh no.
Life officially sucked.
She absently put on whatever was closest to her and dragged herself to the kitchen she remembered from the previous day.
And there he was.
Drinking his coffee and reading his newspaper.
She walked straight past him, adding curtly, "Mr. Chang."
He added just as curt, "Ms. Peacecraft" without looking up.
She retrieved a mug in silence, poured her coffee and turned to him, cup in hand.
Their eyes met, and the battle was issued. She began the assault and attacked first.
"So you knew the entire was that I was supposed to…eventually…possibly…marry you…" she trailed of, seemingly disgusted by the words that had just left her mouth. She averted her gaze to the tile floor that her feet grazed against.
"No."
She turned her head up to stare him in the eye, asking him silently to elaborate.
"I didn't know who you were until Heero discovered you were of Peacecraft origin."
She prompted him again with her eyes, waiting in earnest.
He stared back at her, silent, letting her assess everything, letting her organize her thoughts. Those brown eyes…so intense…so…beautiful. She wanted to shake it off, make him turn away. Because she wouldn't do it this time, she would show her strength. She wouldn't be weak. She would be strong. She was the Vice Foreign Minister, damn it! She could hold a simple staring contest! But that wasn't the only importance, and she knew it. There was a silent challenge that went with it, it was a battle; showing the strength of the other person. Stupid as it may sound for a former Queen of the World and Gundam pilot, they continued the stare down. She wouldn't back down.
Without knowing what was happening, her mug tipped in her hands, allowing the Luke-warm brown liquid to splash against the tile.
She didn't look.
But he did.
She smiled appraisingly to herself. She had won this battle.
With newfound courage, she asked yet another question. "I thought you were betrothed to Merien."
He whipped his head up at the sound of her statement with overtones of a question. "I was." He answered coolly. She just looked at him quizzically.
He sighed softly in frustration and leaned back in his chair. "Think about it. I was betrothed to Merien. But I was to you first. But then you just went ahead and died leaving me without a future wife. Merien was a second choice, a replacement." He looked sternly at back at her, after biting out his brief monologue.
It made sense. He was supposed to marry Relena Peacecraft. She was supposed to have died in the attack against the Canq Kingdom. She was then Relena Darlain, and not until the war was the name Peacecraft brought back to her again. And that was when…she…when she loved…and he couldn't tell her then…
Those damn tears stung at the back of her eyes again. Damn it! Not in front of him!
"I'm going for a walk." she told him.
He simply nodded his head and returned to his paper. But this went unnoticed to the princess as she hurried to the back door.
Yes, this is what she needed. A nice walk out in that wheat. Maybe she should've packed a lunch. Oh well, she'd be back by then. This walk is just what she needed to help clear her thoughts.
She grasped the handle, and turned.
Or tried to turn.
It wouldn't budge.
It was locked.



Mwahahahaha!! ANOTHER pathetic excuse for a cliffhanger! Except, the last one almost actually worked…anywhoot… how'd you like it? Bad? Horrible? I thought so. Anyway, instead of flames this time, could I have fried green tomatoes? Really? Thanks!

On further news…
E-mail: alioop108@hotmail.com
Website: www.geocities.com/alioop108
Aol instant messenger screen name: alipops86