Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Behind the Scenes ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Behind the Scenes 1 out of ?
Author: C-Chan2 a.k.a. Neptunesdemon
Archive: WufeiDuoyaoiML, any others just ask
Category: Romance
Pairings: 5+2/2+5, 2+R, 3+4, mentioning of past 1+2
Rating: PG (at the present moment)
Spoilers: NoneWarnings: Yoai, AU, OOC

Chang Wufei was not partial to the inside workings of the lives of celebrities. He was not impressed with movies or television programs. He was more of a book person. He was much more interested in the dramatic tragedy of Romeo and Juliet and he could care less on whom Tom Cruise was engaged to. That was why as he sat on the couch in his best friend’s apartment, his attention was directed to the typed print in front of him rather than the large television tuned to Entertainment Tonight that sat a few feet away.
“You’re the only person I know who would rather read than watch television.”
At his best friend’s voice, he looked over his shoulder to find the taller man standing directly behind him. He had been at work, leaving Wufei to hold company with his friend’s lover, Quatre.
“Hey, Trowa.”, he greeted, watching his friend bend to kiss his boyfriend on the cheek.
The blond only waved him away, much too occupied with the news of the new movie that was being shot somewhere overseas. Rolling his eyes at the entire thing, Wufei looked back to his banged friend, who now leaned onto the couch, green eyes looking down at him in hopes of a conversation. The two were not known to say much at all, both were not the type to talk endlessly, however they were in need of a distraction.
“So what book were you able to sneak away from the bookstore this time?”, Trowa asked, his hand indicating the book on Wufei’s lap.
“Of Mice and Men.”, Wufei announced, Trowa smirking.
“A classic. Then again, why would I expect anything less of you?”
“What do you mean?”, Wufei asked, eyes narrowing playfully.
“What I mean is you’re not the type to read of magic and monsters.”, the green-eyed man clarified, Wufei scoffing, “You’d rather read about nineteenth century families and their day to day problems.”
“Can you guys please be quiet?”, the blonde next to them asked, his eyes still centered on the big screen TV, “I can’t hear the TV.”
“You should be able to.”, Wufei commented under his breath, “It’s loud enough that a deaf person could hear it.”
Since he had returned to his book, he missed the glare that was thrown his way. If it wasn’t for the familiar name that had just been announced, Quatre would have had a lot of fun ripping his friend’s book to shreds. It was somewhat annoying that all the Chinese man ever did was read. However, he would deal with it later, celebrities were calling to him. As he turned blue-green eyes back to the screen, they widened at the site of his favorite actor.
“Look there he is!”, he cried, grabbing the attention of his boyfriend and comrade.
The two looked to the television to find a young man on the screen at what seemed to be a red-carpet premiere of a new movie. His violet eyes shined as he waved and smiled to his screaming fans. Trowa, since he did share an apartment with the man, knew exactly who was on the screen. His friend however seemed to have no idea of who the man was. As Quatre watched the screen dreamily, Trowa only sighed. He didn’t mind that Quatre had an obsession with the big time celebrity, however after endless one-sided conversation of the “A” list star he had learned to walk away before Quatre began to babble endlessly.
“Who is that?”
At Wufei question, Trowa made himself scarce. His friend’s inquiry was the beginning of a description that he had heard thousands of times and he had no desire to hear it again. Quatre on the other hand turned to Wufei as if the man had said something horrible. It was sad, or at least was to him, that Wufei knew nothing of celebrity life and he knew it was up to him to inform the poor man.
“I can’t believe you don’t know who he is!”, Quatre exclaimed, his hand pointing at the screen, “That’s Duo Maxwell!”
“Who?”
“Duo Maxwell!”, Quatre cried turning to fully face the ebony-haired man, “Only the most recently talked about actor in all of Hollywood. Three Academy award nominations, two in which he’s won and he even won a Tony! Men want to be like him, women want to date him and the tabloids want nothing but to get some dirt on him. He’s perfect. He’s even dating Relena Dorian.”
At the second name that was thrown into Quatre’s explanation, Wufei frowned, looking to the blond with an almost lost expression. He had no idea what his blonde friend was babbling about and he had no intentions of pretending that he did. Relena Dorian; who was she?
“Who?”, he finally asked.
With an exasperated sigh, Quatre stood from the couch making his way to the big screen TV, his finger pointing to a blonde woman who was talking to various reporters and posing for pictures.
“Relena Dorian.”, he said, pointing emphatically, “Academy award winner for her leading role in ‘Winds of Change’.”
He then pointed to the braided man beside her, who was avoiding as many questions from the media as possible.
“She’s currently dating Duo Maxwell. The hottest star there ever was. Well next to Heero Yuy, but we’ll talk about him another time.”
As Quatre looked back to the screen to ogle the smiling face of Duo Maxwell, Wufei only sighed. He had no idea what his friend had just told him or at least, he had no idea why it was so important to know. As the star began to answer the question of when his next public appearance would be, he returned to his book.
“For the release of the ‘Forbidden Desires’ DVD, I’ll be in New York City next week at Virgin Records of Times Square, as well as a book signing of my autobiography at Barnes and Nobles. I’m looking forward to it. New York City is one of the best cities out there.”
Wufei was rudely pulled from his book at Quatre’s excited shout and he had to try his best to calm his now thundering heart. Trowa had rushed out of his shower at his boyfriend’s cry and he now stood dripping wet with a towel around his waist, his worry filled eyes searching around the living room. All he found was an overexcited Quatre who ran to him and gripped him in a tight embrace.
“Duo Maxwell is coming to Manhattan!”, he cried, Wufei wincing at the volume.
As Quatre ran off to their bedroom in his excitement, Trowa looked to Wufei who was obviously miffed by the fact that his reading was interrupted for the news that a man he could care less about would be visiting New York City. Trowa only shrugged, throwing his friend an apologetic look for his boyfriend’s odd behavior.
“Look at it this way.”, he told him with another shrug, “It’s not like the signing will be at the Barnes and Noble that you work at.”
Wufei nodded in agreement, knowing that Trowa was right. There were plenty of Barnes and Nobles scattered across the borough. There was no chance that this Duo Maxwell would be doing his book signing at the one where he happened to work.
-----------------------------------
“Wufei you have to let me meet him!”
Wufei silently cursed Trowa for jinxing him as he tried his best to ignore the blonde that was currently following him around the bookstore. He had been begging Wufei to help him meet his idol since he had learned that the Hollywood star’s book signing would be held at the bookstore that the ebony-haired man was employed. Though Wufei was not giving in, even after several attempts of bribery and failed attempts of blackmail.
Sidestepping the blonde in front of him, Wufei moved to the next shelf to continue stocking the new set of mysteries that had been shipped this morning. He was glad for the change. The last few days all he had been unpacking were Duo Maxwell’s autobiographies. As he went back to work, he was aware that Quatre was still begging him for his cooperation and he tried his best to ignore him. However, he would find that he wouldn’t be able to.
“Wufei-”
“Quatre, I’m trying to work!”, Wufei snapped, the blonde falling silent, “I have no idea when he’s coming, I’m not even assigned to deal with anything that has to deal with him. All I know is that I have to get these books on the shelves, as well as restock those damned autobiographies and then get behind the register since my co-workers all seemed to be as obsessed with this man as you are. I’m very busy, Quatre. I can’t do anything for you. If you want to meet him then you’ll just have to get in line outside like everyone else.”
Leaving the books halfway stocked, Wufei stormed off in the direction of the registers, Quatre following behind him.
“Wufei, I’m sorry.”, he apologized, the Chinese man sighing, “But I really want to meet him and if I go on line then it’ll take forever. He’s only here until eight and that means there’s basically no chance that I meet him if I go on that line.”
“You should have come earlier like I told you to.”
Sighing in frustration, Quatre pouted as Wufei continued to ignore him, going about his work as if he wasn’t there. As he busied himself with another customer, Wufei was aware of the pouting blonde beside him, turning to catch the infamous puppy dog look that Trowa had complained had weakened him many times before. Now he felt himself breaking under that same gaze himself. He had no idea how the blond had mastered the look, but it was working.
“Alright fine.”, Wufei gave in, Quatre smiling triumphantly, “I know damn well that I won’t be meeting Duo Maxwell, so that means that you won’t either. I’m sorry that I can’t help you with that, the only chance you have is if you stand on line. However, the staff members get a free copy of his book, signature and all. You can have it, but only if you leave now.”
“Thank you, Wufei.”, Quatre said hugging him, Wufei sighing, “I owe you one.”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah.”, Wufei said gently detaching the over excited man from him, “I know. Now get out of here before my boss blows a blood vessel, he’s been glaring at me all morning since you came. I’ll see you and Trowa after work.”
“With my book?”, Quatre asked, Wufei scoffing.
“Yes, with your book. I’ll see you later.”
“Alright, see you then.”, Quatre said in departure, kissing his friend on the cheek, “Don’t forget.”
With a roll of his eyes, Wufei watched his friend leave before he turned to the customer that had been waiting for his attention. With an apology, he took the book to be purchased, inwardly sulking at the familiar face on the cover. He would be relieved when the damn things went out of stock; he wouldn’t have to look at the face of Duo Maxwell any more.
----------------------------------------
An hour later, Wufei was given relief from running the register. However, he was reassigned to stocking the shelves. He had only sulked and did what was bid of him, grumbling under his breath as he worked. At the moment, the store was on pins and needles. It would seem as if the famous actor had made his appearance, if the giddy coworkers were anything to go by. He hadn’t tried to sneak a peak at the Hollywood star as everyone else did. Then again he hadn’t even known who the guy was until Quatre told him a week ago and he really didn’t much care about the man now. He was much too busy lugging unnecessarily heavy boxes of his books.
As he rounded the corner of the mystery section, he collided into a shopper, causing the box to drop from his hands and spill countless amounts of autobiographies across the floor. With a groan, Wufei raised his hands to rub at his temples. He could feel a headache threaten to make an appearance and he sighed, readying himself to pick up the books from the floor.
“I’m so sorry.”
Watching as the man he bumped into crouched to begin lifting the books off the floor, Wufei did the same. If his boss saw that he was allowing a customer to clean up, he’d never hear the end of it.
“No it’s alright.”, he said, throwing books back into the box, “It’s my fault. I wasn’t watching where I was going.”
“Yeah, well neither was I.”, the man said with a laugh, “Then again, I’m not even supposed to be here.”
Looking up at the man, Wufei frowned at the cap that adorned his hat and the large shades that sat atop his nose. If he wasn’t mistaken, he could have sworn he had seen this guy somewhere else before. The long braid that hung over the man’s shoulder only reminded him of the star that had yet to make his appearance. He shrugged it off, he didn’t have time to try and figure it out. He had work to do. As he picked up a book, he glared down at the smiling face on its cover. He was beginning to become quite annoyed with that face.
“I guess you’re here for the book signing.”, he said, throwing the book in the box.
“Yeah, I am. Are you planning on meeting him?”, the man asked, Wufei snorting.
“I’ve seen his face enough already.”, Wufei told him, stopping to grab the box, “I’m in no rush to meet the man in person. Besides, I’m not a fan. Nor do I think I will be. I’m beginning to become quite annoyed with his face.”
He stood and the man followed, steadying the box as it threatened to topple over.
“I see.”, he said with a laugh, “Then I shouldn’t remove my glasses, since you seem to be annoyed with faces an all.”
“Do what you want.”, Wufei said, “It’s not like you’re Duo Maxwell.”
“Actually.”, the man said, removing both hat and glasses, “I am.”
At the realization, Wufei froze, the box dropping out of his hands and onto the ground again. He swore as he bent to pick it up from the floor, Duo bending with him. He was to say the least bit embarrassed and he stumbled to apologize as he fumbled in picking up the books. With a laugh, Duo assured him that it was quite alright, helping to repack the books yet again. When the task had been finished he lifted the box for Wufei who, although he had been told not to, was still apologizing.
“I didn’t really mean what I said.”, he tried to explain, hoping his boss was no where around.
“Honestly.”, Duo started, taking one of his books out of the box, “If I were in your position, I’d get tired of looking at this mug all day as well. I’d even get a bit jealous. I mean come on, he’s gorgeous.”
With a scoff Wufei rolled his eyes, his arms crossing as the star in front of him rested the box down to pose for him.
“You really think so?”, he asked the braided man, who only nodded, “Then you think to highly of yourself. You’re not all that pretty.”
“Ah, but you admit that I’m pretty to some extent.”
With a snort, Wufei bent to pick up the box, still having to get the damn books to the shelves.
“Don’t look too much into it.”, he said, walking away.
Duo followed, replacing his cap and ducking when they were no longer hidden behind the bookcases. Wufei ignored the behavior, knowing that as a star, Duo had to hide himself from the adoring public. If one obsessed fan got a look at him, he’d be trampled on by hundreds of others. As they reached the shelves that were temporarily dedicated to the autobiographies, Wufei rested the box down and gave Duo a questioning glance as the man looked around to make sure that he hadn’t been seen.
“Afraid that your fans might see you?”, Wufei asked, starting to stock the shelves, “Or is the paparazzi on your tail?”
Turning to the ebony-haired man, Duo flashed him his famous smile before giving a shrug.
“Fans I don’t mind and the paparazzi I can handle.”, he looked over his shoulder one more time, “However, I wasn’t supposed to leave the staff lounge until they were ready for me. If I’m caught out here, I’m sure I won’t get off easy.”
“I feel for you.”, Wufei answered sarcastically.
He felt when the man moved closer to him and was very much aware of the violet eyes that were staring at him. He only ignored it or at least tried his best to. It wasn’t everyday that he met a celebrity and he had no idea why today whatever higher plane of existence there was decided that he should meet this particular star. As the actor moved closer, Wufei looked toward him to be greeted with a small smile. His eyebrow rose as he gave the man a questioning look, Duo’s smile growing. The star gave a nervous laugh as he raised a hand to scratch the back of his neck.
“Yes?”, he finally asked, causing Duo to become startled.
“I was wondering.”, the man started, removing his hat to run a hand through his bangs, “You know since you know my name and all, that maybe you could tell me yours?”
Wufei frowned, not exactly sure why the man wanted to know his name. It wasn’t as if they would ever meet again after this and he was pretty sure that even if they did, he would most likely forget Duo’s name. After all, unlike Quatre, he barely watched TV and he could care less about celebrities. However, as the man beside him gave him another smile, he found that it wouldn’t hurt.
“Chang Wufei.”, he introduced himself, holding out his hand.
“Chang Wufei.”, Duo repeated, taking his hand to shake it, “So since you’re Chinese, Chang would be your last name, am I right?”
“Surprisingly you are. You don’t come off as intelligent.”
“I’m not sure if to take that as a compliment or an insult.”
“I’m not sure either.”
At Duo’s laughter, Wufei couldn’t help but smile. The man had a warm laugh, though he wasn’t exactly sure why he was thinking about that. He shook it off. He had to return to work. If he didn’t finish unpacking this box, he’d never hear the end of it.
“So, what do you read?”, Duo asked, picking up a book from an opposite shelf to observe it, “Since it seems you’re not partial to autobiographies.”
“Classics.”
The answer was short and simple and it wasn’t one Duo had expected. What exactly did he mean?
“Classics?”, he asked, resting the book back down, “Like what?”
“Dickens, Shakespeare, you know classics.”
“Boring!”, Duo exclaimed.
He had said it a bit too loudly and he ducked as shoppers and staff looked in their direction. Wufei only rolled his eyes as Duo smiled yet again. It seemed it was all the violet-eyed man ever did.
“As I was saying.”, he started again, Wufei stopping his work to look at him, “That’s boring. Haven’t you ever picked up a book worth reading?”
“Like what?”, Wufei asked, arms crossing.
“I don’t know.”, Duo said with a shrug, before reaching for the book he had picked up earlier, “Like this.”
Wufei looked down at the book’s title, his face scowling as he recognized it as a romance novel. He hated romance novels and he would rather die before he read one. Duo, catching the scornful look on the Chinese man’s face looked own at the book, scowling in disgust himself. He hated romance novels.
“Okay, maybe not this.”, he said replacing the book, “But something not sleep inducing.”
“Shakespeare is not sleep inducing.”, Wufei argued, Duo snorting.
“Yes it is. All that fancy talk and confusing dialogue, I’d rather just knock myself on the head with a mallet. It’ll put me to sleep faster without the torture.”
“So tell me, Mr. Know-it-all, what would you suggest I read?”
With one quick look around, Duo took hold of Wufei’s wrist before quickly and stealthily guiding him to another part of the store until they were in front of the fiction books. Duo let Wufei go; searching the shelves carefully until he came across one that caught his interest. He pulled it off of the shelf before he returned to the waiting bookworm, holding the book out for him. Reaching out, Wufei took it to glance down at the title.
“Interview With the Vampire?”
“Or.”, Duo said holding out another book, “You can read this. Blood Price. Either way you’ll be reading about vampires. I personally love the Vampire Chronicles, then again I love anything that’s not boring.”
Glaring at the comment, Wufei took the second book from Duo, looking them over. He had never really tried to read anything other than “the classics”; he never had an interest to. Even now he wasn’t sure that he would read anything else. However, he had finished his last book and he was in search of another. He wasn’t sure what to read next. The two books in his hands, though he didn’t much care for vampires or mystical creatures, did seem promising.
“What the hell.”, he said with a shrug, Duo giving a sound of triumph, “I might as well. I have nothing else to read.”
“Trust me. Once you read them, you’ll have to read the rest. No more boring plays and novels.”
With a scoff, Wufei rested the books down on the shelf. This guy was unbelievable. He was in no way as Quatre had described him. He seemed much more carefree. Then again, the man was an actor. If this wasn’t a performance than the calm and cool that he produced in front of the cameras was. As the sound of a female voice drew closer, Wufei and Duo turned just in time to find a woman round the corner. With one glance to Duo, she glared, her arms crossing as her foot began to tap impatiently.
“There you are.”, she said moving forward, Duo grinning, “I’ve been looking all over for you. We’re about to start in five minutes. What were you doing?”
Looking back to Wufei, Duo shrugged replacing his cap on his head. His hands replaced the sunglasses onto his face, but not before a wink was thrown in Wufei’s direction. Wufei wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do in reaction in that, so he only stood there as Duo turned his attention to the woman who stood impatiently awaiting an explanation.
“I was looking for the bathroom and I got lost.”, the man lied, moving to throw an arm around the woman, “I was asking this gentleman here if he could direct me to one.”
As the woman turned her gaze to him, Wufei felt a bit exposed as she studied him. It was almost as if she was trying her best to read him. It was a bit uncomfortable, especially when her gaze narrowed almost suspiciously. He was glad when she looked away and back to the Hollywood star that was currently hanging onto her.
“Well, I’ll take you to the bathroom, but then we’ve got to set you up for you’re fans.”, she said, starting to lead him away, “They’ve been waiting long enough.”
As they left, Duo turned back to give Wufei a smile.
“It was nice meeting you.”, the braided man called back, “Maybe we can meet up again.”
“Yeah.”, Wufei said under his breath as he watched them walk away, “Like that’ll ever happen.”
He turned back to the two books that Duo had suggested, looking them over in contemplation. With a sigh, he lifted them off the shelf, heading to the register so that he could purchase them. After all Duo Maxwell, the big time Hollywood star, had suggested them.
“Quatre is not going to believe this.”
T.B.C.
I’m not exactly sure where this came from, but it just popped up and I had to get it down. I hope you liked it. I’m sure my grammar was off and I tried my best not to have them OOC, which I’m sure I failed at. Anyway, tell me what you think.