Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Behind the Scenes ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Behind the Scenes 2 out of ?
Author: C-Chan2 a.k.a. Neptunesdemon
Archive: WufeiDuoyoaiML, any others just ask
Category: Romance
Pairings: 2+5/5+2, 2+R, 3+4, mentioning of past 1+2
Rating: PG (at the present moment)
Spoilers: None
Warnings: Yaoi, AU, OOC

"You met Duo Maxwell!"
At the level of Quatre's voice Wufei winced, feeling the start of a very painful headache. He had not meant to reveal to the blond that three weeks back he had had an encounter with the "A" list star. It had accidentally slipped out. Now he would never hear the end of it and he was pretty sure that Quatre would be by his side for the rest of the day.
"When did you meet him?", Quatre questioned, following Wufei up the fiction aisle, "Was it the day of his book signing?"
"Yes, Quatre.", Wufei answered with a sigh of exasperation, "He was looking around the store."
"And why didn't you run and get me!", Quatre screamed, attracting the attention of customers, "I can't believe you would do this-"
His words were cut short as Wufei clamped a hand over his mouth, the Chinese man looking to where his boss glared at him form across the store. He gave the man a smile as he pulled Quatre and himself out of sight behind a bookcase, Quatre's speech muffled. When they were safely tucked away Wufei finally released him, his dark eyes glaring at his friend.
"Quatre, I met him an hour or two after you had left.", Wufei explained.
"You could have called me."
"I was no where near a phone.", Wufei argued, leaning back against the bookshelf, "I had shelf duty. There was nothing I could have done."
"You could have found a phone."
"Quatre, what was I supposed to do? Ask him to stay put until I had found a phone and called you? You're being ridiculous!"
"What I don't understand is why didn't you tell me that day?", Quatre asked him and Wufei gave a groan.
"Why am I even explaining myself to you? I met him, you weren't there, and he suggested some books to me, end of story."
Quatre sighed in annoyance as Wufei began to walk away from him. It wasn't fair that he hadn't met Duo Maxwell instead. If he had been in Wufei's place he would have cherished the moment, not pass it off as some trivial chance meeting. He followed his friend once more, Wufei now busying himself with reorganizing the bargain bin.
"Did you at least get his autograph?"
Wufei paused, his shoulders stiffening as he restrained himself from choking the boyfriend of his best friend. It wouldn't fare well if he had to tell Trowa that he had murdered his lover. Though he did have Trowa's sympathy at times, Quatre could be quite annoying when it came to a particular movie star. He looked to the blue eyed man after taking a deep and calming breath.
"Quatre, I got you an autographed copy of his biography."
"I know, but you met him face to face. Did you get a separate autograph?"
"No."
"Well why not?"
Wufei calmed himself down again, turning back to the bargain bin to keep his hands busy and away from Quatre's neck. This was not the best of days for him since he was already on the boss's bad side. Now he had to deal with Quatre's interrogation.
"Listen, Quatre.", he started calmly, "I have work to do and I'm pretty sure that you have to go to work, too. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention to you that I met. . .what's his name?"
"Duo Maxwell."
"Whatever. I will promise you that in the event he ever returns I will tell you a full detailed description of the encounter."
Quatre looked at him skeptically, his arms crossing over his chest. He knew that Wufei wasn't entirely serious since there was no chance that Duo would be back again. However, it was nice to know that Wufei would promise him this. He nodded in agreement, giving Wufei a small smile.
"Alright, Wufei. I'll hold you to your word. I have to go."
"Finally."
Ignoring the playful push, Wufei watched as Quatre started to walk away.
"Don't forget.", Quatre reminded him and then he was out of the door.
Wufei scoffed as he walked towards the shelf of biographies where Duo's books were nearly sold out.
"How likely is it that I'll be seeing his face in here again?"
"I'd say very likely."
At the voice Wufei jumped, turning to find a man standing behind him dressed in baggy jeans and a dark sweat shirt with the hood covering his head. Dark sunglasses sat on his face but were lowered partly so that Wufei could see violet eyes peeking over them. As his heart rate finally lowered from its little surprise, Duo smiled at him.
"What are you doing here?", Wufei asked in a whisper.
"I was in the neighborhood shooting a movie and I decided I should stop by."
Duo watched in amusement as Wufei looked around the store, making sure that no one had noticed the star's presence. Duo did look like an average patron. His braid was tucked away inside of his sweatshirt, so no one could recognize his signature feature. However, Wufei was not at ease. He was pretty sure that someone would see him and that could not happen. Taking hold of Duo's arm he looked around again, this time making sure his boss was busy elsewhere.
"Come on.", Wufei ordered, gently but quickly leading Duo away, "Let's hide you somewhere before a fan studies you too hard and notices who you are. I'm sure my boss would find some way to blame it on me."
Duo didn't resist, letting himself be dragged through the store as stealthily as possible until they reached a door that was marked employees only. With one final look around, Wufei led him into the room and closed the door behind them. It was empty, not counting the two of them, and Wufei locked the door to make sure that it stayed that way. The only trouble he'd get in is if his boss decided to come this way. It was very unlikely since he had a private office of his own on the opposite side of the store.
With the door locked and secured, he turned back to the movie star who had lowered his hood and removed his glasses. He now stared at Wufei with a smile on his face and the two were silent. Wufei had no idea what was to happen now and when he thought about it, he had never really found out why Duo had returned.
"So.", he began, his voice breaking the silence, "You're back in New York?"
"Yeah. I'm shooting a movie."
"Oh."
The silence grew again, Wufei looking elsewhere though he felt Duo's eyes watching him. He wasn't sure as to why the young man was staring at him and he really didn't want to ask. What if it was a reason he did not want to hear?
"So did you like the books?"
Duo's question was the incentive for Wufei to look at him and when he did, he found himself staring into violet eyes. It would seem that there was something hidden beneath them but Wufei didn't want to delve any deeper than the surface.
"They were okay.", he answered and Duo scoffed.
"Bullshit."
"Excuse me?"
"You liked them didn't you?"
"I said they were okay."
"They were great!", Duo exclaimed, seating himself at the small table centered in the room, "You're just trying to hide the fact that you actually liked something other than stuffy nineteenth century aristocrats."
"I'm not hiding anything.", Wufei responded, his eyes narrowing, "The books were satisfactory, but I wouldn't say they were as good as a Dickens novel."
"Yeah you'd say they were better.", Duo countered with a laugh.
Wufei scoffed as the young star continued to tease him. This man was as childish as they came. He had no idea how Quatre could be obsessed with someone like him. The man was obviously a good actor. Wufei was pretty sure that his fans had no idea how he acted when the cameras were off. He took note that Duo was no longer talking though the braided man was smiling at him. That damn smile of his, maybe that was what attracted Quatre to him. Not that he was attractive. Though he was a handsome man and-
"Do you play racquetball?"
Wufei’s thoughts were cut off abruptly by the unexpected and off-subject question. He blinked in confusion, Duo still smiling in his directions. It took him a couple of tries before he could finally manage to speak.
"What?"
Unfortunately, that was all he could manage.
"Racquetball.", Duo repeated with a shrug of nonchalance, "Do you play?"
Wufei stopped for a moment. He had to ponder where this question had suddenly come from. Their previous conversation had nothing to do with athletics at all. Why now did he choose to bring it up?
"Yeah, I’ve played.", Wufei lied.
Well at least it wasn't really a lie. He had played once and that was back at the age of ten. He was horrible then, he wasn't so sure if he had improved at all.
"Why do you ask?"
“No reason really.", Duo said almost nervously, his fingers toying with the end of his braid, "It's just that a friend and I were gonna go play tomorrow, and I just thought that maybe you'd want to I don't know tag along."
"Oh."
Wufei was rendered speechless. Was Hollywood's "A" list star really asking him to play racquetball with him?
"I mean, if you don't want to than I understand."
Wufei watched as violet eyes looked up at him almost disappointed. He didn't mean to make the man upset, he hadn't even known that Duo actually wanted him to play.
"No, I want to.", Wufei blurted as Duo's puppy dog look became to much, "I would love to play racquetball."
"Really?", Duo asked, his mood changing instantly, "That's great! So you'll meet me on the set at six?"
Wufei speechless once again at Duo's quick change in mood. He had the vaguest feeling that he had just been tricked in some way. Nothing he could do about it, it was too late to back out now.
"Six will be fine.", he told the actor, who seemed almost too happy.
"How about you meet me there? It's a place on the Avenue of the Americas."
"Sure."
"Great!"
Duo stood from his chair, his face set with a bigger grin than he had earlier. He placed his hood back on, hiding his trademark hair away from the public eye.
"I have to run now.", he announced almost sadly, though his face still held its grin, "Think you can sneak me to an exit besides the front door?"
Wufei scoffed with a roll of his eyes. Movie stars were a pain in the butt when you really got down to it. They were too much work. What he really would have done was just open the door and let him find his way out. However, one look to the violet-eyed man, who at the moment was pouting, and he felt he had no other choice. He had no idea what had made him fall victim to this man's antics, something must be wrong with him.
"Come on.", he gave in with a sigh, pulling open the door, "You're lucky I'm in the mood to take pity."
------------------------------------
As he led Duo out the room, the celebrity bouncing happily behind him, he looked around cautiously for any sign that his boss was around. It would seem that the man went on break and that meant the coast was clear to make his way to the backdoor which was meant for deliveries. With a sign that the coast was clear to Duo, Wufei led him quickly to the back exit, having only to duck once when two teenaged girls looked their way. They quickly lost interest when a cute guy walked by distracting their attention and Wufei was back leading Duo the rest of the way. Once they made it he quietly opened the door, he and Duo stepping outside into an alley.
"Thank you.", Duo offered with another of his trademark grins, "I almost thought we were caught back there with those two girls."
"Yeah, well don't read too much into it.", Wufei muttered, his eyes looking around for anyone who might see them.
Duo replaced his sunglasses, the final piece to his disguise and he looked to Wufei who seemed to be avoiding his gaze.
"So are you going to read The Vampire Lestat?"
"I'm not sure.", Wufei told him with a shrug, "It isn't my type of book."
Duo gave a sly smile that Wufei had missed; since he was too busy looking around for someone who might come down into the alleyway.
"I'm sure Lestat regrets his decision about Nicholas."
"He should have listened to his mother.", Wufei commented before he caught himself.
"Aha!", Duo exclaimed with a knowing smile, "I knew you'd like them. You couldn't resist the call of the vampire."
"Oh shut up.", Wufei grumbled as Duo laughed, "I was only curious."
"Yeah say what you want, you know you love the damn thing."
"Don't you have somewhere to go, Mr. Hollywood?"
"Alright, alright, I'm going.", Duo said, lowering his glasses to look at Wufei, "So I'll meet you tomorrow."
"Yeah. Tomorrow.", Wufei confirmed.
Satisfied with Wufei's answer Duo gave the Chinese man a parting wink before he turned to go, leaving a stunned Wufei behind. If he wasn't mistaken the Hollywood icon had just winked at him, again. Brushing it off Wufei returned inside, he had to make a call to Quatre. After all he did promise.
T.B.C.
Sorry this took so long people, but I have very limited access. I try to do as much as I can when I get my hands on a computer. I can't promise a next chapter anytime soon, but I can promise that there will be a next chapter. So bare with me people. I hope you guys review if you liked it. Ciao for now.