Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Take a Break ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“OH YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!”
 
“I told you to prepare yourselves.”
 
“YOU DIDN'T SAY HOW BAD THEY WERE!”
 
“Hey just trying to soften the blow.”
 
Another few days had passed as the boys spent them in and out of bed and roaming the village. It was then the need to see how their Gundams had sustained in the fight with the Scorpio suit became incessant. Jacinda drove them over to the sight where each lay in a heap covered from the sky by thick trees and brush. While a lot of their armor had held out some, much of the wiring and inner and out controls had been trashed.
 
“It's going to take us weeks to fix them.” Wufei said rubbing his eyes, a headache coming on.
 
Jacinda sighed as the boys surveyed each of their Gundams.
 
“Look guys, I told you before…we'll be more than glad to supply you with whatever you need to repair your mobile suits. We've got tools and if we need to barter anything, Dr. Ridge will be leaving next week, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.”
 
“Well we have no time to waste.” Heero said as he jumped up onto Wing making Jacinda wince. While each boy's recovery was coming along nicely, she would have preferred they stayed in the village until they were healed fully to go out and do some gundam mechanics. Though she knew by the look on Heero's face, he was not one to be told not to do something.
 
“I guess I can check the damage down below.” Wufei said as he hobbled over to Shenlong aka Nataku.
 
Trowa, Quatre, and Duo each went to their own suits and began their analysis. Jacinda just sighed and put the toolboxes she and her villagers had brought.
 
“Okay kids, I'll leave ya to it then.” She said. “I'll be back later on with some lunch. I'll leave a truck here if you need to come back to the village for anything or if you get too tired. Don't be afraid to ask for help.”
 
“Thank you.” A hoarse Quatre whispered. Jacinda looked over at him on Sandrock and smiled. He was slowly getting his voice back. She winked at him and hopped onto a truck.
 
“AW MAN THAT SCORPIO THING MESSED UP MY SYTHE!” Duo yelled upon seeing Deathsythe's weapon.
 
“Maxwell, don't complain about it and just work.” Heero said as he started grabbing tools from the boxes Jacinda had provided.
 
“How can we fix them though if we don't have the parts?” Wufei asked.
 
“Just make due with what we have.” Trowa said as he looked at some wires on Heavyarms. “And anything we can get from the village.”
 
“Just don't go and steal my parts again…HEERO!” Duo yelled remembering upon one of his first meetings with Heero that the Japanese boy had made way with some of Deathsythe's parts in order to prepare Wing.
 
“If I have to, I will.” Heero said with a smirk. He was amazed that Duo was still peeved over that incident. “Or use your own thieving instincts and find us some good substitutes.”
 
Duo glared.
 
“Smart guy.” He said and disappeared back onto his Gundam.
 
Everyone else just chuckled and set themselves back to work.
 
Jacinda had indeed kept her word and by the early afternoon had driven back over with lunch for the pilots. Most of them came over to her, covered in grease and dust, with the exception of Heero who was intent on fixing his Gundam.
 
“I guess he's the little workaholic then.” She said as she sat down with his lunch in her lap.
 
“Oh yeah.” Duo said munching on the sandwich she had made. “You can't get that guy away from anything if it's crucial to him.”
 
“He works almost too hard.” Quatre said.
 
“Well he's gotta take a break sooner or later.” She said standing up. “And after the ordeal you guys had had, I don't want any of your injuries getting worse.”
 
She picked up Heero's lunch and began walking towards Wing.
 
“Uhh…Jacinda I wouldn't try that if I were you.” Duo said. “Heero doesn't like to be bothered for anything…trust me…I know.”
 
“Sorry to say that he is.” Jacinda said as she jumped onto the leg of Wing. It took a little scrambling, but she hadn't been an Alliance member for nothing. Soon she was walking towards the front of suit.
 
“She is an odd woman.” Wufei said.
 
“Be careful.” Quatre said though it came out in almost a whisper. Trowa saw and handed him some juice.
 
“Don't stress out your voice too much.” He said. Quatre blushed lightly and took the drink.
 
Meanwhile Jacinda followed the sounds of frantic hammering and looked inside the pilot's area. Sure enough there was Heero, back to her, repairing something on the plane. Once he stopped hammering she made her move.
 
“BOO!” She yelled. Heero jumped and the hammer tossed and then fell out of his hands. Thankfully not on his feet. He glared as she laughed.
 
“Sorry Heero.” She said. “That was too good to pass up. Anyway lunch is here.”
 
“I'm not hungry.” He said and turned back to his work. Jacinda however didn't leave.
 
“I doubt that.” She said as she slowly got into Wing. “So, I brought yours with me.”
 
Heero was annoyed as Jacinda gently pulled herself down, holding his lunch in her free hand. He really wanted not to take any breaks. The sooner he and the other pilots could finish their suits, the better.
 
“Just leave it.” He said. “I'll eat it when I feel like it.”
 
Jacinda gave him a look.
 
“Heero, you are recovering and need all the breaks and sustenance you can get. If I have to hold this sandwich in your mouth just to get you to eat while you work on this Gundam so help me I will.”
 
Heero looked over at her.
 
“You wouldn't dare.” He said.
 
“Try me.”
 
Normally in this situation Heero would hurt anyone who was in his path or simply kick them out. The anger in his eyes alone scared anyone half to death. But Jacinda was different and he really started to realize that. Of course Relena Darlian Peacecraft had done the same sorta thing, but in some instances that had been quite annoying especially when he was on a mission. But with Jacinda…it was almost…nice. It gave him warmth he hadn't really felt before.
 
“Now I am not leaving until you eat.” Jacinda said parking herself in front of him. She opened the bag that contained his lunch of a sandwich, some juice, and fruit.
 
Heero growled, stomped over to her and grabbed the sandwich from her hands. Taking a big bite, he chewed and swallowed.
 
“Satisfied?” He asked.
 
Jacinda smiled.
 
“When that sandwich is gone and so is some of the juice and fruit is too, then I will be.” She said. “Now you, sit and relax a little.”
 
Heero rolled his eyes and dropped himself across from Jacinda and continued to eat.
 
“You know, as important it is to get these Gundams fixed, its more important that the pilot of the Gundam himself is cared for as well.”
 
Heero looked over at her and said nothing.
 
“Hey, just saying because if you don't rest and take care of yourself mister you're gonna find yourself hurt again.” Jacinda continued. “And just getting to know you these last few days I can tell that doesn't bode well with you.”
 
“Man she got him to actually stop working! We should have bet money on this.”
 
“Right, and chances are you would have bet that she would have just been kicked out by Yuy.”
 
Jacinda and Heero looked up to see Duo, Quatre, and Trowa looking down at them. Curiosity over whether or not Jacinda had succeeded in her little mission had overtaken them and they had raced up to Wing to check.
 
“Hey guys!” Duo said. “Looks like you learned how to take a break for once, huh Heero!”
 
Jacinda stood up while Heero snarled and turned his back to them, slightly embarrassed.
 
“Yeah yeah, and what about you guys? I better see four eaten lunches up there. If not there is going to be some major butt kicking by yours truly!”
 
“Wasn't my idea!” Wufei yelled from back on the ground. “I told them to mind their own business!”
 
“Will you all just leave?!” Heero yelled reaching his breaking point. “Go back to work on your Gundams or when Wing is fixed I'll leave without you!”
“Not like you haven't done it before!” Duo yelled as he got off of Wing with Trowa and Quatre not far behind.
 
Jacinda just shook her head. She looked over at Heero's lunch to see that at least the sandwich had been eaten. She grinned.
 
“Alright, I'll let you go with just eating the sandwich for now kiddo.” She said. “But I better see you at the dinner table tonight or I will come back to get you myself.”
 
Heero just glared and watched her leave.
 
“That was really nice of you Ms. Jacinda.” Quatre whispered as he offered her a hand down.
 
“Thanks Quatre.” She said letting him help her down Wing. “Eh, I am the same way as Heero sometimes. I get scolded a lot when I find myself too busy to eat or sleep. I guess I don't want the same mistakes rubbing off on anyone else, especially Bastian because he is so young and impressionable.”
 
She walked back over to the little picnic spot with the other pilots. Heero meanwhile had watched her leave. But after she was gone from sight, did he turn around, eye the little meal on the floor, and grabbed the juice and took a good sip. After noshing on some of the fruit he returned back to work.