Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Why are You Here? ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Duo just stared as Heero hopped onto Deathsycthe and approached him. His breath hitched as the moon shined down on Heero making the seemingly cold young boy look more angelic.
 
“He's been crying.” Heero thought.
 
But, Heero just grunted and shoved the plate at him.
 
“Eat it.” He said.
 
Duo wanted to say he was not hungry, but his motto, “I run, I hide, but I never tell a lie”, invaded his brain. The boy took the plastic wrapped plate and sat down.
 
“Jacinda made some sort of concoction called `Sloppy Joes'.” Heero said. “I think she had you in mind because it is certainly not what the rest of us have ever ingested before tonight. It's probably cold now though.”
 
“It's one of my favorites.” Duo whispered as he looked at the plate.
 
“There's more if you come back to the house.” Heero said taking a seat next to Duo. “Jacinda made a whole pot of the mess.”
 
Duo sighed even though is stomach was growling.
 
“I can't right now.” He said.
 
“Why not?”
 
“I…I just can't.”
 
Heero again just grunted.
 
“I would think you would be happy. All you ever talk about is how wrong it was for OZ to blow up the place you called home. Well, someone is trying to pay you restitution for it.”
 
“Restitution my ass!” Duo snarled. “Just because her boyfriend felt guilty about his job. He should have known that when he joined the damn Alliance!”
 
“Jacinda said they did not know.”
 
Duo turned to Heero angrily.
 
“And you of all people believe that!?” He practically yelled. “Mr. I'm Going to Kill You Heero Yuy!? You actually sound like you care!”
 
Heero shrugged.
 
“My feelings aren't of concern here.” He said. “Everyone, especially Jacinda is worried about you.”
 
Duo laughed hautily.
 
“Everyone huh?” He said. “Even you?”
 
The question itself brought a slight blush to Heero's face. He honestly did not think of that. Although, honestly, he did not even know why he was out there in the first place.
 
“Again, none of my concern.” Heero answered.
 
“Then why are you even here!” Duo asked. “Shouldn't you be sleeping so you can get up at dawn to fix Wing and probably leave without us, like you always do!? Face it Heero, the only person you give a damn about is yourself and Relena!! Everyone else is just another casualty or distraction in your eyes!”
 
Heero sighed.
 
“I have told you before countless times that Relena does not matter to me and that in fact I'd wish she's stop interfering during missions. She is only putting herself into more danger, but she refuses to listen!”
 
Duo growled.
 
“You still don't see it do you! It's because she likes you! And I mean LIKES you! She is willing to put herself in danger so she doesn't lose you! She'd rather die to make sure you live! It's called LOVE Heero! She is so in love with you that even a dummy like me can see it!”
 
Heero raised an eyebrow.
 
“But didn't you do the same thing when we first met?” He asked. “You shot me, yet you rescued me from the medical unit then brought me back to the sweeper ship where you let me repair Wing. You didn't have to offer me your shelter or food or tools, yet you did when you knew perfectly well what I was capable of.”
 
Now it was Duo's turn to blush.
 
“Take it as an apology for shooting you I guess.”
 
“You keep changing the topic.”
 
“Let's keep it that way.”
 
“You're being childish.”
 
“So, aren't we still children?”
 
“Maybe you still are.”
“Get lost Yuy!!”
 
Silence fell.
 
“Why are you even talking to me anyway?” Duo whispered. “Like I said, I didn't think anyone mattered to you.”
 
Heero sighed.
 
“I…I couldn't fall asleep.” He said turning to Duo. “When I went outside I saw the plate Jacinda had made for you still out on the step, so I thought I might as well bring it to you. You get…clumsy…when you are hungry. Like it or not, the rest of us have our Gundams to fix after all and last thing we all need is you throwing tantrums.”
 
Duo glared and Heero realized he had said the wrong thing.
 
“Well if that is all, you accomplished your mission, now go away! Don't worry I'll eat this and whatever Jacinda made because knowing Quatre he'll be bringing it to me anyway, so I promise not to bother you and the rest of the Great Ones! Hell, I promise that I'll fix `Scythe first and leave before the rest of you if I am such a pest then! I have missions too ya know!”
 
Duo's eyes were fiery and Heero couldn't help but gulp at the sight. He knew he had upset Duo and felt bad about it, but it made him more powerful, an allure that Heero was feeling drawn to. He shook his head and tried to refocus.
 
“That was the wrong thing to say.” Heero whispered. I apologize.”
 
Duo's face softened. An apology? From Heero?
 
“I really meant that you should eat so you can retain your energy for repairing your suit.” Heero continued. “You do get upset when you can't concentrate and with everything that has already happened to you the last thing you need is to lose your focus seeing how much Deathscythe means to you.”
 
Duo smiled a little as he rubbed the cool metal under his hand.
 
“Apology accepted. He said.”
The two once again were silent as they stared up into the sky stealing glances at each other and finding one another slightly enraptured by how handsome the other looked in the moonlight. Finally, Heero spoke up.
 
“Do you really think Relena is in love with me?” He asked.
 
Duo snorted.
 
“Hell yeah buddy!” He said. “I can't believe it is not obvious to you.”
 
Heero shrugged.
 
“I actually thought you liked her.” He said. “You call her `pretty lady' now and then.”
 
Duo laughed.
 
“Well yeah, the girl is a knockout, no doubt about that!” He said. “But nah, she ain't my type!”
 
Heero gulped lightly.
 
“What is your…`type'” He asked.
 
Duo shrugged.
 
“Well, looks are one thing…but I don't like them all dainty and all that stuff. They shouldn't mind getting their hands dirty cuz I like working on mechanics and I mean I am one hell of a cheap date, so they can't expect much from me. I can't buy them no fancy dinner or gifts and stuff! I AM a sweeper after all! My type would be part best pal, part…more.”
 
“Oh.” Heero could muster. “Have you had a lot of them?”
 
“ME!?” Duo barked. “Are you kidding…I've….umm…no.”
 
“Really? The girls at the schools we hide at always seem to follow you around.”
 
“Uh, are you blind Yuy?” He said. “You aren't exactly Mr. Unpopular, you have your own fan club, especially with Relena right behind you. Haven't you scored with anyone of them?”
 
“Scored?”
 
“You know…gone out on dates…made out…got to second base…or hell a homerun!?”
 
“You mean sex?”
 
Duo rolled his eyes.
 
“Yeah to put it all formal.”
 
“Since we are being all honest with each other.” Heero said with a beet red face. “I might as well be honest with you…no…I haven't had any type of relationship.”
 
Duo laughed.
 
“Relena really must be vying for first place then!”
 
“Why do you keep mentioning her?”
 
“Because you like her don't you?”
 
“What gave you that idea?”
 
“The way you are around her?”
 
“I find myself protecting her from harm constantly.” He said.
 
“Yeah but you don't do that with everyone.”
 
“Everyone is not a Peacecraft and even so, Relena has a tendency to put herself into those situations. I have no choice in the matter sometimes.”
 
Heero sighed.
 
“If I had to categorize Relena, I would put her as an acquaintance, maybe a friend, but…I don't have any feelings for her other than that. Even if I did, what good would it do? Defeating OZ and Treize…none of us even know if we are ever going to come out of it alive. Love, there is no place for it in this war.”
 
Duo couldn't respond.
 
“But you have a chance for something Duo.” Heero said. “You have a chance to find out about two people who actually wanted to take care of you and love you. Maybe you wouldn't be in this situation now had circumstances changed and Cebastion and Jacinda were able to find you. Maybe you would a family again.”
 
Duo's face hardened.
 
“Well, I still can't forgive her. I can't even look at her, not now anyway. My brain is such a mess right now. All I can see is the orphanage again, the life that I had, before OZ had burned it to the ground. And when I think of Cebastion still…in that crowd and Jacinda being an OZ doctor! Dammit!!”
 
Heero sighed, now feeling weary.
 
“Well, just…try to think about it. I'm heading back. Try to get some sort of rest and eat!”
 
Duo grinned.
 
“Last thing you need is a cranky Duo huh?”
 
Heero smiled just a bit as he stood up.
 
“Very much so.”
 
“Alright.”
 
This time Heero jumped off the Gundam was about to head back to Jacinda's when…
 
“Hey Heero!”
 
Heero turned to see Duo jump off his Gundam and jog towards him. When they were face to face, Duo scratched the back of his head.
 
“Hey, ya, do you think that maybe…tomorrow…you could come see me again?”
 
Heero looked puzzled.
 
“I already am coming tomorrow or rather today, I have to fix Wing after all.”
 
Duo shook his head.
 
“No I mean, maybe just you when everyone goes to sleep? Like sitting and talking like we just were? I still need sometime to clear my head about Jacinda and all, so don't expect me at the house for awhile if at all. But I really feel a bit better just…shootin the breeze with you.”
 
Heero crossed his arms, but on the inside his heart was pounding.
 
“Well, I guess so. If I am not too tired.”
 
“Yeah, yeah sure, no problem! I mean if you get really tired don't worry about it, but hey if you want to it'll be cool!”
 
Poor Duo realized he was rambling.
 
“Aw hell.” He said and the next thing Heero knew Duo had wrapped his arms around him.
 
Heero froze as his senses kicked into high gear. Duo's scent, the sound of his heart, the feel of his lithe body against his, it was nearly all too much for him at once.
 
“Thanks Heero.” He said.
 
All too soon, Duo released Heero. He was also feeling dizzy from the overload that was having Heero in his arms. Just like Heero, Duo also felt the rush of senses going through him like how Heero smelled, the feel of his strong shoulders, the messy brown hair tickling his cheek. Duo felt as if he was on fire yet he was shivering at the same time as if he had a fever.
 
The two looked at each other for a moment then Duo couldn't help himself once again. He placed a swift kiss on Heero's cheek.
 
“Night Heero.” He said before either one of them could comprehend what just happened. He slapped Heero on the back and then scampered back to Deathscythe as Heero quickly turned on his heel and headed back to the house.
 
It would be sometime before either one of them got some sleep.