Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 29 ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 29

Sally nearly dropped the sound head. She blinked and looked at the monitor again. She thumped the unit on the side and returned the sound head to Duo's back but the image didn't change. "I don't believe it," she murmured.

"What is it, Doctor Po?" the nurse asked and then took a look at the monitor. Her jaw dropped. "Is that what I think it is?"

"I think so," replied Sally.

"But isn't the patient... male?"

"Yes."

"Then how the heck..."

"I have no idea."

"Shit!"

"You can say that again." Sally continued to stare at the screen, her eyes were seeing something that her brain was telling her was impossible; but the evidence was right there.

"I hate to disturb you, Doctor, but the patient is still losing blood."

"Yes, yes," Sally returned. She needed to find the location of this bullet and remove it; she could explore the other phenomena afterwards. She moved the sound head around again. "Ahhh... there you are, you little devil," she muttered as she found the bullet. It was lodged just below Duo's left kidney. Returning the sound head to the machine she indicated her readiness to begin the operation.

Moments later she was cutting carefully through layers of skin and muscle, opening up the abdomen for the removal of the bullet. It would be easier to remove this way than going in via the entry point. She had placed temporary butterfly clips on the entry site while she worked from the front to prevent further blood loss. Sally poised the long forceps, the sweat running down her spine as she eyed the glint of silver reflecting from the lights of the theater. Keeping her hand as steady as possible she slid the forceps in, following the line of the kidney until she hit metal. The sweat ran down her nose and the nurse quickly wiped it away. Summoning all her concentration, Sally slowly opened the forceps and placed them around the body of the bullet. Gently closing them again, she checked that she had a firm grip on the piece of metal before slowly extracting it. She held her breath and hoped that the bullet hadn't pierced the renal artery.

The metal came away smoothly and gave a clang as it dropped into the kidney dish. Sally gave a sigh of relief and then returned to the site to check the nerves and blood vessels. Duo had been lucky, the bullet had just nicked the ureter, missing the renal artery and coming to rest against the kidney, somehow missing the small intestine. Sally quickly repaired the tiny tear to the ureter and checked that there was no more damage that she could possibly have missed. Satisfied that all was well in that department for now, she turned her attention back to what she had witnessed on the ultra sound monitor.

Carefully she dipped into Duo's abdomen and located the large bowel; from memory what she had observed was sitting somewhere by Duo's prostate. The large intestine moved slightly and there before Sally's eyes was the proof once more. A smile graced her lips as she stared at the small womb that contained within it, a precious gift. Slipping the intestine back into place, Sally mentally noted what she had seen as she began the slow and arduous task of stitching up the muscles and skin and blood vessels of her patient.

As she stitched so she began to puzzle over Duo's condition. She had heard of, and covered, hermaphroditism in her medical studies; but had never come across one. From what she knew, they were usually surgically corrected after birth. This was certainly the first time she had ever known of one that was predominantly male that actually still had the female parts and that the female parts were still operational.

She wondered if Duo knew.

Further more, she wondered if Heero knew!

This was beginning to give her a headache. All the possibilities went tumbling through her mind, along with more unpleasant thoughts such as what was going to happen to Duo if word of this got out. Sally finished her stitching, cleaning and repairing the damage caused by the bullet's entry. Once she had finished closing the small opening she'd made in Duo's abdomen to remove the bullet, she was relieved to see that Duo's color was returning to a healthy pink and his blood pressure was nearly back to normal. She called the nurse over and spoke softly to her. "Look, Nurse Brown, I don't need to tell you that what you witnessed on that ultra sound was something completely abnormal. I need to investigate this finding thoroughly and so I need to ask you not to say anything of this to anyone, including the patient."

"My lips are sealed, doctor," Nurse Brown replied.

"Good. I hoped I could trust you. Now, I want you to accompany him to the recovery ward and stay with him. From here on in, you are his nurse, no one else. Understand?"

"Yes, doctor."

"I am going back to my office to make a few calls and see what I can find out, when he wakes, page me."

"I will, doctor." The nurse turned and went back to the young man who was still under the anesthetic and had been placed on a gurney. The orderly came in and the two of them pushed the gurney and its sleeping occupant out to the recovery ward, where he was then transferred to a hospital bed.

Sally pulled the latex gloves from her hands and tossed them into the bin. She rubbed at her throbbing temples. She needed to take a couple of aspirin and look into this... this... whatever the hell this was! But first she had to find Heero and let him know of the success of the operation. That posed another question. Should she tell Heero what she'd found?

Sally decided against it for the moment. Really, it wasn't her place to inform Heero that his partner was partially female inside and pregnant to boot! Besides, she needed to gather some more information before she could really contemplate telling either of them. She strode down the corridor towards the waiting room and nurses' offices. She spotted Heero slumped in a chair, his shoulders sagging, a tired, defeated look on his face. Her lips quirked up into a smile as she noted Wufei sitting quietly with the Japanese man. As she entered so both men looked up; then Heero was on his feet, the questions tumbling from his mouth.

"He's fine, Heero. The operation was a success. The bullet had lodged itself by his kidney but fortunately avoided major organs and blood vessels, it has been removed and he is expected to make a full recovery." Sally smiled at the messy haired man as the relief washed visibly over him.

"Can I see him?"

"Soon. He's in recovery at the moment, once he's awake the nurse will page me and I'll go make another check of his stats. If everything is okay then he will be moved to the ward and you can stay with him."

"Thank you, Sally."

The words were whispered so quietly that Sally nearly missed them. She didn't miss the quick peck to her cheek though. As Heero pulled back, a shy smile on his face so Sally raised her fingers to her cheek, touching the spot that tingled. "I'll send the nurse to fetch you as soon as he's moved to the ward. Meanwhile, you may want to go get a cup of coffee and something to eat."

Heero shook his head but Wufei had other ideas. "I will take Yuy to the cafeteria. If anything should change in the meantime I have my cell 'phone on me." Wufei turned to face the ex pilot, the glare that was directed at him not having any effect at all. "That is an order, Agent Day."

Silently, Heero followed Wufei from the office and allowed himself to be dragged to the cafeteria. Wufei made him sit and eat a ham and salad sandwich and drink a carton of orange juice. The food was chewed and swallowed mechanically, tasting like sawdust. Heero only had one objective...

To get back to Duo.

~ * ~

Sally entered her office, the frown still creasing her brow. She was sure that Duo had no idea of his condition. Pulling his file up on her computer, she scanned through it. Nothing indicative of Duo's condition could be found. Then the proverbial light went off. The iron. Of course! This would explain why Duo's iron levels continuously fluctuated. Sally wondered if Duo had menstruated at all; hell, she had a lot of questions whizzing around in her head right now and no way of answering them in the immediate future.

She picked up a pencil and began to play idly with it. The enormity of the situation was beginning to raise its head. The pencil dropped to the desk with a clatter. "That's it!" Sally hissed and typed in a few commands to the computer. She noted down the address and quickly opened up her e-mail. If anyone would know anything about Duo and this condition it had to be this person. Seconds later, she had typed a brief message and hit the send button. Now all she could do was wait and hope that the address hadn't changed.

She leaned back into her seat, letting her head fall backwards and closing her eyes. This had been one very different and difficult day to say the least; and it wasn't over yet.

Her pager went off and Sally looked at it. Duo was awake. Quickly, she stood and exited her office walking swiftly to the recovery section.

~ * ~

The fetus moved softly in its watery world. The happy sensation from earlier was still partially with it. It felt something press against the cocoon it was embedded in, then retreat. It didn't *feel* any danger though. If anything its *mother* appeared totally relaxed... and that made the fetus feel safe.

~ * ~

Duo began to stir, his mind was fuzzy, his mouth felt full of cotton wool and his limbs were heavy. He tried to raise his head and open his eyes, pain throbbed in his abdomen and a small moan escaped his lips. A soft voice greeted his ears.

"Ahh, you have decided to wake up, Mr. Maxwell."

"Uhh... Heero?" Duo managed to gain some control over his tongue and called for his lover. He felt frightened and vulnerable. He didn't know where he was or what was happening and he couldn't remember anything either. All he wanted was Heero. "Heero!" his voice raised in pitch as well as volume.

"Heero isn't here at the moment, Mr. Maxwell. Doctor Po is on her way and once she's checked you over, I'm sure she will get this Heero for you." Nurse Brown was a little worried about the reaction of the patient as he came out of the anesthetic.

"HEERO!" This time it was a scream. The monitoring equipment began to sound its alarm bells as the heart rate began to speed up and the blood pressure rose to danger level. Duo began to panic. He wanted Heero, he needed Heero but no one seemed to care. He began to raise himself from the bed, oblivious to the pain as his stitches pulled tight. "HEERO!"

Nurse Brown hit the emergency button above the bed and tried desperately to calm the patient, as well as keep him from getting out of the bed.

Fortunately, the anesthetic was still partially in Duo's system so he wasn't as coordinated or as strong as he would have been usually and Nurse Brown managed to keep him from tearing his stitches at least.

Sally heard the sound of the emergency signal and broke into a run. Wufei and Heero were waiting in the nurses' office once again when they saw Sally go tearing down the passage way.

"Something's wrong," Heero stated.

"You don't know that, Yuy. And if there was, surely we would have been notified." No sooner were the words out of his mouth than Wufei's cell 'phone went off. "Chang."

Heero watched the man carefully, the knot of fear growing by the second in his stomach.

Wufei listened to Sally's voice. Her message was short. "Get Yuy in here NOW!" Wufei turned to Heero, folding the 'phone as he grabbed Heero's arm and pulled him down the hall.

"What the fuck is it, Chang?" Heero snarled as he shook himself free of the hand.

"It's Maxwell. He's waking up and well... he's getting a little out of control. They're worried he could hurt himself further."

Heero didn't hesitate. "Which way?" Wufei pointed and Heero sprinted down the corridor.

"HEERO! Where are you? HEERO!" Duo continued to call for his lover, doing his best to get away from the people that were trying to restrain him. His mind wasn't focused in the present, still muzzy from the drugs and he wasn't thinking straight. The doors burst open and Heero ran into the room.

Sizing up the situation immediately, Heero moved to the bed. "Duo... Duo, it's okay. I'm here now. It's all right, calm down." Heero glared at the nurses who were trying to restrain Duo. They quickly released their hold and Heero enveloped his lover in his warm embrace. Duo suddenly went limp. Sally had been preparing to inject a sedative into Duo's thigh and now went to plunge the needle in, when Heero turned to her. "No."

Sally paused.

"He doesn't need it. He will be fine now." Heero held his lover gently in his arms, stroking Duo's back and soothing him.

"Where were you, Heero?"

"I was here, Duo. I was waiting outside for you to wake up."

The monitors had settled down as soon as Heero had taken charge of his partner. "Let's get him to the ward." Sally said and motioned for Wufei to take one end of the bed while she took the other. "Nurse Brown, please follow us."

The nurse nodded and deftly unhooked the equipment. She lifted the saline bag from its hook on the stand and placed it on the hook attached to the bed above Duo's head. Once the bag was secured, the three of them began to maneuver the bed out of the recovery room and along the passage to the section that housed the wards.

"Ward Four," Sally said,. Wufei nodded while Nurse Brown just continued to follow. Heero sat upon the bed, still cradling Duo carefully in his arms, the long haired man remaining calm now that Heero was with him. They soon arrived at the ward and wheeled the bed inside. Wufei turned it so that the head section was pushed up against the wall, Nurse Brown disappeared for a moment and then returned, monitor in tow. She set about hooking the thing up to Duo and then pressed several buttons, the machine humming softly and displaying information upon the screen.

Sally scanned the machine; it displayed Duo's heart rate, blood pressure, temperature and breathing rate. She lifted the chart from the end of the bed and made a few notes before approaching the pair reclining quietly on it. "Heero, I need to check that he hasn't done any damage to his stitches or wounds."

Heero nodded and gently lowered Duo to the pillow and removed himself from the bed.

"Heero?" Duo's eyes cracked open as he spoke.

"I'm right here, Duo. I'm not leaving you but Sally needs to check your wound sites."

Duo sighed and reached out a hand which Heero promptly took, Duo's fingers immediately entwining with Heero's, seeking reassurance. "S'okay."

Sally, with Nurse Brown's assistance, gently rolled Duo to his back. She carefully removed the gauze padding that covered the wound site and proceeded to check the neat row of stitches. The wound itself looked angry and red but the stitches were firmly in place. Sally replaced the gauze and then rolled Duo on to his stomach so she could check the wound on his back. Again the gauze was lifted and Sally was pleased to note that the stitches had held up remarkably well. One had given in but the rest were still firm. She replaced the gauze and turned to address both men.

"Duo, I don't know how much of this you will remember but you have just undergone major abdominal surgery to have a bullet removed. I need you to rest, not go jumping around the place. You have stitches in your abdomen and your back; I would like them to stay there until the wounds have begun to heal." Sally rested her hand upon his shoulder as she spoke, then she turned her attention to Heero. "Do you have any idea why he reacted like that?"

Heero shook his head. "The only thing I can think of, is that he hates hospitals. I don't blame him either as I hate them too, no offense."

"None taken."

"The times we spent in hospitals were usually as guests of OZ and I needn't remind you of the sort of treatment we received in there."

"I understand." Sally turned back to her patient whose eyes were drooping rapidly. "Nurse Brown will stay with you for the rest of her shift, I will come back soon to check his stats again." Sally began to leave the room and then paused in the doorway. "You are welcome to stay with him for as long as you wish, Agent Day."

"Arigato."

Sally left and Heero sat upon the edge of the bed, his partner's hand still entwined in his own. His other hand drifted to Duo's face where he gently pushed the bangs from Duo's forehead. He began to stroke Duo's hair, the gesture keeping his lover calm. "Sleep, Duo. I will be here when you wake up, I promise."

Nurse Brown busied herself tidying up the bed and making sure that the young man was comfortable before leaving in search of a water pitcher and glass. Wufei waited until she was gone before stepping over to Heero. Heero looked up at his friend.

"I will be leaving now, I have to question the offenders that are in custody and I need to take statements from them. I also have to speak with Une and file my report. I will call back later and check on his progress." Wufei placed a hand on Heero's shoulder. "I'm sorry this happened, Yuy. It shouldn't have."

"It isn't anyone's fault, Chang. You weren't to know what was going to happen any more than Duo or I did. Besides, we both knew the risks." Heero lowered his head as another thought hit him. "I guess there will be an inquiry into my actions and the resulting death due to those actions. I will offer my resignation now and save you a lot of unnecessary trouble."

Wufei's eyes narrowed as he stared at Heero. "Yuy! I have never heard such nonsense in my life. Yes, there will be an inquiry, there has to be; but as far as I am concerned, and I know the footage on the security tapes will back me up, you did the right thing under the circumstances and there will be no dismissal or resignation. Now, I suggest you stop playing the martyr and look after your partner. He needs you, he needs your strength, he needs your love and he needs to know he did his best.... but most of all he needs your respect. Give him what he needs, Yuy." Wufei turned and left the room, Heero watched his departure, his mind processing Wufei's words.

~ * ~

Sally returned to her office and ran a hand through her damp bangs. "Shit! I'm getting too old for this," she muttered and fetched herself a cup of coffee. Sitting down in her chair she rolled her head, trying to ease the kinks in her neck. She could use a good massage. Her eyes drifted shut and she began to doze lightly. The beep from her computer awoke her and she jumped at the sound. "Shit!" She jerked forwards in her seat and glared at the monitor, the glare however soon changed to an excited look, the computer telling her she had e-mail.

Opening the program her excitement built as she saw who the e-mail was from. Moving the mouse, she clicked on the item and waited for it to open. Her eyes quickly scanned the message and it was all she could do not to cheer.

"Bless you, Howard," she murmured instead and then began to type.

~ * ~

tbc.......