Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 34 ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 34

Sally picked up the folder and quickly leafed through it before turning her attention back to G. "I would like you to fill me in on what you found when Duo was in training with you," Sally said. "Then I will be able to look at this from a clearer angle."

G gave a defeated sigh. "Okay. It all came to light when I was doing a medical check up on him prior to his training moving to the next stage...."

G proceeded to explain to Sally what he'd discovered, the single ovary, the small, seemingly malformed uterus and the tiny tube that linked them to the lower bowel.

"All the tests I performed showed that the female organs were non-functional, only the male organs were working. At that time Duo was on the verge of going through puberty and I didn't have the time to remove the female organs, we were after all training Duo to become a Gundam Pilot and had a schedule to keep up with. To remove them would have meant Duo being out of action for a while and we didn't have that amount of time to spare. Being as how they were redundant and the male side of Duo was obviously showing through, I didn't feel it was necessary for him to know, so I didn't inform him of the status." G took a breath before continuing.

"In one way none of the pilots were expected to survive the war and during that time Duo never gave any sign that the female organs had started to function so I didn't think any more of it. I also thought that if he did survive the war he would probably find himself a nice girl and settle down, someone like that Hilde girl he was living with and so his condition wouldn't be a factor. I never thought he would be gay."

Howard gave a small chuckle and both doctors turned to look at him. "Let's face it people, none of us thought the organs would work and yet they have. Duo wasn't expected to live past the war, but he did. If he did survive he was supposed to settle down with a girl and have a family that way, but who would have guessed he would be gay? Who would have predicted that he would be the one to get pregnant? I mean, when you look at all the facts, the odds of all that happening are about as good as the chances of me marrying Une and living happily ever after."

Sally's face broke into a grin and the tension in the air was lifted momentarily. "You do have a point there, Howard. The chances of this happening are extremely minute, but it has happened and now we need to look at the options."

G humphed and sat back in his chair.

Sally pulled out a notebook ready to keep notes on their options and resulting implications for when they spoke with Duo and Heero. "From what I can see of the situation, we really only have two options available to the boys. The first, as you have already suggested Dr. G, is complete removal of the fetus and female organs. I'm guessing from the ultra sound that the fetus is approximately six to eight weeks into gestation, so if the boys choose that option there is still time to carry it through without too much of a risk to Duo's health." Sally paused and chose to ignore the look on G's face.

"And the other option?" Howard asked. Even though he already knew what the answer was going to be, he wanted to hear all the details. While Duo may not be related to him by blood, he had been so much like a son that Howard liked to think of him that way and so his health and chances were of utmost importance to him.

"The other option is for Duo to carry the child to full term and give birth."

G gave a hollow laugh. "And just how do you think he can do that? Do I need to remind you that Duo is male and doesn't have a vagina, only a small tube connecting his uterus to the large bowel. I somehow can't see him passing a child through his rear end, regardless of how much he could stretch. Let's face it; the large bowel is not designed to pass a load this big."

Sally didn't care much for G's sarcastic humor. She turned her steely gaze towards him. "I didn't say this would be easy and when I say give birth, obviously Duo wouldn't be able to deliver the child in the same way that a woman does so he would need to undergo a caesarian. I thought even you would have known that," Sally stated as she continued to glare at G. "That would then raise another dilemma; do we also perform a hysterectomy at the time of delivery?"

"Now you know why I switched from the medical sciences to the physical ones, Howard," G said as he stared back at the woman. "If he does carry through, which there is no guarantee that he can, besides the facts you have stated, there are also a hell of a lot more complications."

Howard shrugged. "So, there are always complications regardless of what you do."

G turned to face Howard. "Not like these complications."

"Dr. G is right, Howard. This is only the beginning, besides the delivery there is the feeding of the child, the raising of it and not to mention what will happen if word of this should get out to the press."

Howard shuddered. "I see what you mean."

"If the media were to get a hold of this, then Duo would find himself under the microscope with all sorts of people wanting to study him and the child, not to mention the fact that he and Heero would never have any peace at all. Ultimately it could and possibly would destroy the pair of them and I, for one, do not want to see that happen; so it is of the utmost importance that none of us say anything to anyone." Sally gave both men a look that clearly conveyed she would dish out a fate worse than death should either one of them open their mouths to the wrong source.

"That is why I strongly recommend that the fetus be aborted now, before this little debacle gets out of hand. Duo wouldn't even have to know." G turned his attention back to Sally. "All he needs to know is that there is something wrong internally due to the bullet wound that requires him to have another operation. We simply anesthetize him and remove the fetus along with the female organs and when he wakes up, he won't know a thing and everyone else will be non the wiser."

"What!?" Sally could barely contain her anger.

"Don't tell me you didn't understand that? It's quite simple my dear. Knock him out, remove the baby and organs and stitch him up. No one will know a thing and life can go back to normal." G sat back looking smug, as if he'd just solved the entire mystery of life, the universe and everything.

"*I* will know." Sally said through gritted teeth. "And there is no way I could live with myself if I did something like that. Besides the fact that it would be illegal and against all medical ethics, it's just plain cruel and I for one refuse to do that." Sally leaned forwards over the table. "And there is no way I will let you do it either, not as long as I have breath in my body. Duo will be told and he and Heero will make their own decision. If they choose to have the pregnancy terminated, then I will respect that and do my very best to ensure that it happens in a professional manner. If they choose to go ahead with the pregnancy, then I will be there to assist them every step of the way." Sally's voice softened a little. "I would like to think that you would be there to support both them and myself if that is what they decide. It would be nice to know I have assistance in this."

G sat back and lowered his head, obviously deep in thought. Howard studied his fingernails, not willing to participate in the conversation. He'd already said his piece, making it clear that he would stick by Duo whatever he decided. Slowly G raised his head and looked directly at Sally.

"You do realize just what you would be getting yourself into, not to mention Duo, with this foolishness if he wishes to carry to term," G said slowly.

"Actually, I don't. All I can do, is rely on my medical knowledge and intuition to help me through it to the best of my ability," replied Sally.

"The risks to Duo and the child are twice what they would be to any normal mother."

"I would expect nothing less, which is precisely why he would need our expertise," Sally countered.

"There isn't any other recorded case of this happening so we would be completely in the dark, nothing to refer to should things go wrong."

"Don't you like the thrill of the challenge?"

"You do know that the chances of either Duo or the child surviving this are extremely low,. In fact the chances of both the child and Duo surviving are... well, to be blunt, pretty much zero."

"Yes, I understand it will not be easy and could result in the loss of Duo or the child... or maybe both," Sally whispered. "But if Heero and Duo decide that they want to try and carry the baby to term then I have no choice but to assist them, it is my duty as a doctor."

G put a finger under Sally's chin and raised her face to look into his own. "You may think I am cold and callous for suggesting that the pregnancy be terminated, but I assure you, that is far from the truth. Duo is a special person, not just because of this but because of the things he has survived. I do not wish to see him suffer or his life be shortened for something that can easily be stopped now."

"Yes, I can understand your motives but it doesn't change the fact that this is still ultimately Duo's decision," Sally replied. "Not to mention Heero's as well, after all he is the father of the child."

"I know that, my dear." G took a deep breath. "I will go along with this charade, we will inform Duo and Heero of what the situation is, as well as the options and then whatever they decide I will back you up and assist you. I may not agree with it but I won't leave you to cope on your own. I think after all I owe at least that much to Duo."

Sally's eyes filled with tears but she managed to blink them away. "Thank you, Dr. G. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

"Don't thank me yet, this is only the beginning. There is a tough road ahead regardless of which way they choose to go."

"Speaking of the beginning, I think we should go and inform Duo and Heero of what the situation is," Sally stated. "I know Heero is with Duo now, Nurse Brown informed me earlier when she contacted me in regards to Duo being able to shower."

The three stood up and Sally led the way out of the office and along the corridors in the direction of the hospital section of the medical wing. As she walked so her mind went over the many different ways in which she could break the news to Duo. This was going to be one of the hardest things she had ever had to do.

~ * ~

Duo's eyes opened, the sound of tapping at the keyboard no longer there. Sleepily he looked around the room and smiled as his eyes alighted on his partner and lover. "Hey, Heero," he said softly.

Heero had finished typing up his report and had packed his laptop away; Duo was still sleeping so he took the opportunity to study his lover. As his eyes wandered over the face, so he thought again of how lucky he was to have someone like Duo in his life. He adored everything about the long haired man, from the sweet lips and expressive violet eyes to his sharp wit and fierce devotion to the cause. Without Duo in his life he dreaded to think where or what he would be now. He shook those thoughts from his mind, there was no point in dwelling on the `what might have been', he needed to focus on the here and now, and more importantly; the future.

His mouth quirked into a smile as he watched Duo's eyes flutter open and search for him. He couldn't help but notice the obvious delight contained in those amethyst pools as they sought him out and found him. The soft voice was music to his ears and he quickly lifted himself from his chair and moved to the bed. He embraced Duo and lowered his lips to his lover's and kissed him soundly.

Duo melted into the kiss, despite his injuries his body flushed with the sensual contact and he desperately deepened the kiss, his tongue questing forth to tangle with Heero's and vie for dominance. He bathed in the sensations he was feeling, enjoying every caress of Heero's tongue against his own. "Ohh... Heero..." he moaned softly as the kiss broke. "God, I love you."

Heero buried his face in the crook of Duo's neck, gently sucking on the skin and laving with his tongue. "Don't ever leave me, Duo. Promise me you won't leave me."

Duo pulled Heero from his neck and looked into the concerned cobalt eyes of his lover. "I promise I won't ever leave you willingly, Heero. I want to spend the rest of my life with you." He gently rubbed his hands over Heero's back. "What brought this on?"

Heero looked sheepishly at him. "I was typing up my report."

"Ahhh. Say no more." Duo pulled Heero back to him and carefully kissed him, putting all the love he could into the kiss, attempting to reassure Heero of his love. When they broke apart again, Heero was panting slightly.

Heero forced his body back under control; it was amazing how much Duo could excite him, merely by looking at him, let alone kissing and touching him! Carefully he assisted Duo to sit up; fluffing the pillows behind him and making sure he was comfortable. A low growl came from Duo and Heero looked questioningly at him as he sat on the edge of the bed and took Duo's hand in his.

"Oops, sorry. That was my stomach. I guess I'm a little hungry now," Duo informed Heero.

"I brought you something." Heero fished inside his jacket pocket and pulled out the Crunchie bar.

Duo's eyes melted as he looked adoringly at the golden wrapper. "Oh, Heero. Have I told you just how much I love and adore you?" Heero chuckled and handed over the confection. Duo immediately tore open the wrapper and took a bite. His eyes closed in bliss as he savored the taste upon his tongue; his face contorted in rapture as the treat tickled his taste buds and sent him into seventh heaven.

Heero watched, the amused smile still on his face when there came the sound of footsteps in the corridor. He turned to face the open doorway as Sally stepped into the room, closely followed by... / Was that Howard? And Doctor G? /

Duo quickly hid the remainder of the Crunchie bar, not sure if someone would take his delicacy away from him before he had the chance to really enjoy and finish it. His look of shock mirrored that of Heero's when he saw who was with Sally.

Sally gave them both a reassuring smile as she walked into the room. "Heero, Duo, I have some visitors with me." Howard and G stepped forwards.

"How are you doing, kid?" Howard said as he flashed Duo a warm smile.

"Not too bad, Howie, under the circumstances."

"Duo," Doctor G nodded.

Heero was immediately on the defensive and his hand instinctively sought out Duo's. They connected and fingers entwined, each drawing strength from the other.

"Doctor G." Duo returned and then frowning, he looked at Sally.

Sally took a deep breath and ordered her thoughts. Once she had decided on her plan of action she spoke, her voice much calmer than she felt. "Duo, I, no we, need to speak with you alone please."

Duo looked at the doctor, panic etching into his face and his hand clutched Heero's even tighter.

"This has something to do with my test results, doesn't it?"

"Yes, Duo. It does."

"Then no, I don't want to hear this by myself."

"No?" queried Sally.

"That's right, I said, no. All through my life I've had to endure hearing things by myself, but no more. Whatever you have to say to me you can say in front of Heero, he is my life partner and we share everything. We don't keep any secrets." Duo stated firmly.

/ You do now, / Howard thought to himself and discreetly slipped closer to the door.

"Hai, that is correct. Duo and I share everything so whatever it is you have to tell him about the test results then you can also tell me. I am here to support him through whatever it is that's wrong with him," Heero said and shifted a little closer to Duo.

/ And he's going to need all the support he can get, Heero, my boy. / thought Howard as he leaned against the door jamb.

Sally couldn't help the warm feeling in her chest as she noted the obvious protective stance of Heero.

"Why is G here anyway?" Duo asked in an attempt to change the topic.

"Look, Duo. Are you sure you want Heero to stay and listen to what I have to say? You can tell him yourself afterwards if you wish. We just thought it would be easier to tell you by yourself first, give you a little time to get used to the fact before you tell Heero." Sally said in a last ditch attempt to have Heero leave.

"No. Heero stays. You didn't answer my question either. Why is G here?"

Sally sighed and then drew in a deep breath. "Well, he's here to explain things in a little more detail as you will no doubt have a lot of questions to ask him afterwards; questions that only he will be able to answer for you." Sally began.

Heero gave Duo a curious look, Duo shrugged his shoulders, he didn't have a clue what the woman was waffling on about, he just wished she would hurry up and cut to the chase.

"Duo, there's really no easy way to say this. I have the results from your blood tests in regards to your nausea..."

Duo swallowed hard and stared at Sally, interrupting her. "I knew it; I have an exotic or fatal disease or something like that. There is no known cure for it and I'm going to suffer and probably die a long and horrible slow death..." Duo's voice, accompanied by the arm actions were nothing short of dramatic.

G snorted and stepped forwards. "Don't be so foolish, boy. Pregnancy is not a disease, or at least it wasn't classified as one when I did my studies."

"Pregnancy?" Duo queried, he wasn't sure if his hearing was playing tricks on him.

"Yes, pregnancy, Duo."

You could have heard a pin drop.

"Pregnant...? I'm pregnant?" Duo repeated.

Sally nodded.

Suddenly Duo doubled over with laughter. His body shook with the force of his mirth and he had to hold tightly to his abdomen so as not to damage his stitches. Still chuckling away he turned his smiling face to Sally. "Yeah, that's a good one, Sally. Pregnant... Ha ha ha... Yup, I'll certainly pay that one, you got me good and proper. Now, how about you tell me what the real problem is?"

Sally looked solemnly at Duo. "This isn't a joke, Duo. As much as I wish it were, it isn't. I saw the fetus on the ultra sound when you were first brought in. I witnessed it first hand when I operated on you. There is no doubt about it, Duo. You are pregnant, you are carrying a child and you are going to be a parent."

Duo's eyes widened impossibly as the words sank in. "But, I'm a guy; I have a guy's equipment..." He paused for a moment and studied the bed clothes before staring at Sally once again, another thought crossing is mind. "Then the father....."

Sally took another deep breath and looked directly at Heero. Heero stared back, his brain trying to process all the information and unfortunately short circuiting with the overload.

Duo's gaze followed Sally's to Heero and he gave a strangled moan.

"I'm pretty sure I'm correct when I say that Heero is the father of your child, Duo," Sally said softly.

*Crash*

Heero fainted.

Howard moved across the floor to retrieve Heero's prone form while Sally continued to stare at Duo.

Duo was too stunned with the news to even think about Heero for the moment. Keeping his head low he asked quietly. "But how is this possible. I mean, I am a guy, you've seen that for yourself. Only females have the ability and equipment to have babies. How could I possibly be pregnant?"

"Duo, have you ever heard of hermaphrodites?" Sally asked.

Duo nodded.

"Well, you're one."

There was another sort of strangled gurgling sound as Duo's eyes rolled back in his head and he fainted, falling back into the pillows.

Sally looked at the two unconscious youths and then to Howard and G.

G smiled back at her. "All things considered I think they took that rather well, don't you?"

~ * ~

tbc.......

This chapter is dedicated to my daughter who presented me with my first grandchild today, a little girl now named Jade-Angel and is absolutely gorgeous!