Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 38 ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier.

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Summary: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Special thanks to my wonderful beta's DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai, I'd be lost without you guys!

Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

Quick note: I'd like to thank you all for your patience in waiting for this next chapter. I haven't given up on it, quite the opposite in fact, the muses are running riot at the moment. I haven't posted for a while as I've been away on holiday, a much needed one but now I'm home again and the muses are refreshed so I hope to get more of this fic done and back to posting 1 to 2 chapters a week. Thanks to all those who e mailed me in concern thinking I'd dropped off the face of the earth. :) Enjoy....

"Chimaera"

October 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 38

Heero stared at the screen, or rather the fuzzy lines on it. He squinted his eyes a little and turned his head slightly. Duo also gazed at the screen trying to make sense of what it was he was looking at. Sally had said it was their child but all Duo could make out was a mess of varying shades of grey. He risked taking a peek at his lover and snickered softly as he noticed the perplexed look on Heero's face. It looked like Heero was having as much trouble as himself in trying to make sense of the image.

Sally continued to move the sound head around slightly, attempting to get a *clearer* look at the tiny being, completely oblivious to the fact that neither of the men could really make out anything on the screen. To her practiced eye it was quite easy to pick out what she was looking at, she forgot that neither Heero nor Duo would probably have any clue about what they were seeing.

"It's way too early to be able to determine what sex the baby is; the organs will not have reached identifiable status as yet. Judging by the size I would estimate that you are about seven to eight weeks along, Duo." Sally continued to move the apparatus about. "If you look carefully you can see the head here," Sally said as she pointed with her finger to a slightly darker spot on the screen. "And here you can see the beginnings of the arms and legs…" Sally pushed a couple of buttons and the machine took a few pictures, not that anyone would have known what they were unless they happened to be a doctor or worked within the medical profession in that particular field.

Watching the pair with an amused smile on her face, Nurse Brown found it hard to hold in her laughter. It was as clear as day to her that both men hadn't the slightest idea as to what the hell they were looking at!

Nodding in unison both Heero and Duo did their best to make it look like they understood. Personally Heero thought it was easier to decipher OZ encrypted files than make head or tail of the picture on the screen, while Duo, who had no problem in translating even the most complex of blueprints, hadn't the foggiest idea of what he was meant to be seeing.

Sensing the amusement in the air, Sally turned her gaze from the screen to the men and then to Nurse Brown. Suddenly it dawned on her. "You haven't a clue about anything I've just said or pointed out, have you?"

"Reading those sorts of pictures wasn't a part of our training I'm afraid, Sally," Duo admitted sheepishly. "To be honest, no, neither one of us can make out a damned thing."

Sally laughed. "Don't worry about it. Ultrasounds are not the easiest of things to decipher at the best of times. Even we doctors have problems on occasions."

"Well, that's a comforting thought… I think," Duo muttered.

"There really isn't a whole lot to be seen at this stage. If anything the fetus will only appear to be a mass of light and dark shades. Once it gets a little bigger you should be able to see it more clearly. We can usually tell what sex it will be as well." Sally paused to replace the sound head and then turned to continue talking while Nurse Brown wiped the sticky gel remnants from Duo's abdomen. "Do you want to know what your baby is going to be?"

Duo stared questioningly at Heero. This was something they hadn't thought about.

"Whatever you want, Duo. It doesn't matter either way to me," Heero stated as he gave his lover a warm smile.

"I think I'd rather wait until it's born. Call me silly but I kinda like the idea of not knowing, of the anticipation of the birth…." Duo's voice trailed off, the thought of the birth weighing heavily on his mind.

As if reading his thoughts, Heero drew him deep into his arms and stroked his hair. "It will all be okay, Duo. I'm happy to wait and I'm sure that G and Sally will be able to take good care of both you and the child when the time comes for him or her to join us in this world." He gave Sally a look that clearly stated he expected nothing less.

Moving closer to the bed, Sally folded her arms across her chest and stared calmly at the pair. "I don't think you're being silly at all in regards to the baby's sex, many couples prefer to wait. Personally I think I would do the same. As for the birth…" Sally sighed. "G is researching as we speak. He is going right into the anatomy side of things and calling up anything and everything he can find that will help us through this. I will do a more thorough ultrasound tomorrow, take some more pictures and then hopefully we will have some more answers for you. Until then, all I can really say is that we plan on doing a caesarean section to deliver the child. Obviously you cannot give birth normally so when the time draws near I want you hospitalized and we will open up your abdomen and remove the child that way." Sally's brow furrowed. "That also raises another question for you both."

"Oh?"

"When we perform the c-section, do you want us to remove the female organs as well?"

Heero looked at Duo, who stared right back and swallowed before answering. "I… I don't know. I mean, I hadn't thought about that."

Nurse Brown placed a reassuring hand on Duo's shoulder and the violet-eyed man turned to meet her gaze. "Take your time thinking about it. You don't have to make a decision right now; you have about another seven months to find your answer."

Duo gave the nurse an appreciative smile. "Thanks," he whispered.

Nurse Brown gave him another smile and pat to the shoulder.

Heero turned back to his lover while Sally packed the machine away and Nurse Brown assisted her. "I have contacted Quatre and he has given me the coordinates to a house of his that we can use during your… pregnancy." Heero still found the word a little difficult to use considering his mate was also male. "From what I can remember it's one we used during the war as a safe house, Sally and I will be going out there tomorrow to go over it, make sure it's secure and see what equipment we will need to have installed there.

"Did you… Have you told Quatre?"

"No. Not yet. I wanted to wait until we are settled in there first."

"Speaking of telling people," Sally interrupted. "I really think we should inform Une and Wufei now."

Duo groaned. "Do we have to? I mean, Une is one thing, but Wufei?"

"Yes, we do, Duo. I'm sorry but both Une and Wufei need to know. Other than them there will only be myself, G, Howard, Quatre, Trowa, Heero and yourself, oh, and Nurse Brown of course, who will know." Sally smiled as she spoke. "It really won't be all that hard, Wufei can be compassionate you know."

"Yeah, right, and Howard just might change to wearing normal shirts. Trust me, Sally. I know Wufei and he isn't going to pass up an opportunity to have a dig at me." Duo sank back into the mattress and tugged the covers up tight under his chin, his baleful eyes staring out at the people in the room. "I can't believe you would be that cruel," he whined.

Sally had to hide her face, the grin trying to split it in two. Nurse Brown discreetly busied herself with changing the water in the jug while Heero continued to sit beside his lover. "Wufei won't tease you, Duo," Heero stated calmly.

"Really? And what makes you so sure?"

"I won't let him."

Duo gave his lover a warm smile. "Thanks, Heero, but somehow I really don't think that is going to stop him."

Breaking the moment, Sally coughed. "I think we should tell them as soon as possible, Duo. You will be fit enough to leave the hospital in a couple of days so that will give us enough time to set up the house for you and also concoct a believable story for why you are absent from active duty."

"I think my little accident while on active duty should be enough to explain my absence," Duo replied.

"That might be so for a short while but it doesn't take seven months to recover from a bullet wound to the abdomen. Even if we add to that time off for stress, trauma and the like it wouldn't stop you from doing a desk job." Seeing Duo about to speak, Sally quickly continued. "And no, we can't say you quit, especially with Heero still working for Preventer, people would become suspicious."

Duo sighed. "Why does everything have to be so complicated? I mean, when a woman falls pregnant everyone celebrates, goes out and gets drunk and such; but when I get pregnant…."

"It turns into a full scale stealth operation?" Heero offered. "Don't worry, Duo. I'm not about to let you go through this alone. It's not going to be easy, that's for sure, but we need to keep this away from anyone that doesn't have to know. If this should get out and the press finds out then I hate to think what they would do to you."

The four people in the room were silent as they each thought about the implications. "No. The last thing we need is for the press to get wind of this." Sally stated. "I'm sure that between yourselves, Une and Wufei, we can come up with a convincing cover story to explain your absence and once the baby is born…. Well, we have seven months to come up with an explanation for that. Now, I will go and fetch Une and Wufei and we can fill them in on the current status." Sally left the room and went to contact Une and Wufei; Nurse Brown checked that the ultrasound machine was secure and then removed it from the room, leaving the two parents-to-be alone.

Heero turned to Duo and softly stroked his hair. "It's all going to work out, Duo, I promise you."

Sighing, Duo turned to face his lover, grasping Heero's hand tightly in his own, his violet eyes staring deep into cobalt blue. "I know everyone keeps telling me that everything will be all right, that things will be fine… but… let's face it, Heero; no one knows what is going to happen here… if I will survive, if the child will survive." Heero's face darkened but Duo silenced him with a finger to his lips and continued. "I know you don't want to think about that and god knows, I don't either but it is a factor that has to be considered. Despite Sally and G's reassurances they are floundering around in the dark just as much as we are. Oh, I know they will do everything they possibly can and I appreciate that," Duo paused as if gathering his thoughts. "But if the worst should happen and I… I don't survive this," his breath hitched a little. "I want you to promise me that you won't spend the rest of your life grieving for me. I want you to go on with your life, Heero. Find someone else and if the child survives then raise him or her with love and compassion… and tell them about me." The tear ran down Duo's cheek and dripped from his chin onto the bedclothes.

Having found his emotions through Duo's love and help, Heero was now beginning to wish they were still buried away. He knew that what Duo said was true, that they both had to be prepared for the worst but the pain that flared in his heart as he thought about life without Duo was a pain he couldn't bear. He buried his face in the crook of Duo's shoulder and tried to hold onto his own tears. "I won't let that happen, Duo. I won't let you be taken from me. Everything will work out, Sally and G are great doctors and I know they will find way to get us through this without either you or the baby being harmed." His voice was thick with emotion and Heero found he couldn't speak anymore lest he break down completely.

They stayed together, locked in each other's arms for a while; each drawing strength from the other while unspoken thoughts went swirling through their respective minds. The sound of approaching footsteps alerted them to the imminent arrival of their visitors and they reluctantly pulled apart. Nurse Brown stuck her head around the door and then entered the room. "One commander and supervising agent are about a minute away. I thought I would warn you and get you tidied up a bit before they get here," she said as she proceeded to the bed and began to straighten the covers. With Heero's assistance she eased Duo forwards and placed the pillows behind his shoulders and head. "Comfortable?"

"As comfortable as I'm ever going to be," replied Duo and then turned to Heero and squeezed his lover's hand as Heero sat back on the bed next to him.

"If you wish, Duo, I will remain in the room while Doctor Po explains the situation to your superiors. Or if you prefer, I will leave." Nurse Brown said as she tidied up the room.

"Thanks, I think if you don't mind I would prefer you to stay. That's okay with you, isn't it, Heero?"

"Hai, that's fine with me."

Duo felt safer with the nurse present for some inexplicable reason. He supposed if the worst came to the worst she could give him a sedative… or Wufei one. Somehow though he felt that the Nurse wouldn't allow Wufei to tease him too much, a thought that he clung to along with Heero's hand as he heard the unmistakable voices of Sally and Une along with Wufei's getting louder as they drew closer. Moments later they entered the room.

"Agent Night, Agent Day," Une said as she entered the room and proceeded to stand at the end of the bed.

Wufei merely nodded and Heero nodded back, the Chinese man standing next to his commanding officer. Sally was the last to enter and she took up her position to the side of the bed.

Une turned to look at Sally. "Now, what is it that is so important that you needed both Agent Fire and myself here to tell us?"

Sally cleared her throat and smiled reassuringly at Duo. "The information I am about to give you is classified. It is to be kept between these four walls and not spoken of to anyone else." She looked around to make sure that everyone understood before continuing. "I am breaking patient-doctor confidentiality by revealing this information but I have my patient's consent to do so on the understanding that you do not repeat this to anyone."

Wufei scowled and Une looked a little impatient. Duo twisted the bed sheet nervously in his hand and hoped that the sick feeling that was invading his gut would hold off for a little longer. Heero's face was impassive as usual.

"The wounds that Duo sustained during the course of action are healing as well as can be expected and he should make a full recovery." Sally paused for a moment. "There is, however, a small problem we detected whilst operating and scanning his internal system."

"Oh?" Une raised an eyebrow; even Wufei looked a little more interested now. Duo knew he was going to need a kidney dish a little sooner than first thought.

"Yes. We have detected an… an abnormality in Duo's body."

/ I guess that's one way to put it, / Duo thought.

"What sort of an abnormality?" Une asked sharply.

"You discovered that he actually has a brain?" Wufei quipped.

"Ha, ha, Wufei," was the best that Duo could come up with. He turned to Nurse Brown. "I don't feel so good; in fact I think I'm going to be sick."

Nurse Brown grabbed the kidney dish from the side table and passed it over to her patient who took it gratefully. He wasn't too sure just how much longer his stomach was going to retain its contents and didn't think that throwing up over either the commander or his superior would be a good idea, even if his superior deserved it.

Sally frowned. "This is a serious matter, Wufei. I would ask you to give it the attention it deserves."

Wufei looked at the doctor and raised an eyebrow. Obviously there was something more to this than he first thought. He wisely closed his mouth and refrained from further comment… for the moment.

Satisfied that she wouldn't be interrupted by Wufei any further, Sally continued. "When we investigated what we discovered on the scan several things slotted into place. Duo's need for iron supplements being the main one."

"All this may be well and good, Sally, but what is it you're trying to tell us? What is wrong with Agent Night?" Une asked, her impatience becoming obvious.

"There isn't really any easy way to say this, Commander. Put simply, Agent Night is… pregnant."

The silence was deafening.

"What?" Une managed to croak out, her face clearly doubting Sally's words.

Sighing Sally fixed the commander with a steely gray eye. "Duo is pregnant."

Wufei's jaw nearly hit the floor as he stared at the long haired man in the bed. A smirk crossed his face and he whispered, "I always knew you were an onna, Maxwell." It was clear that Wufei didn't believe it for a minute.

"Correct me if I am wrong here, Sally, but isn't Agent Night a male?'

"Yes, he is."

"Then how can he be pregnant? I think you must have been working too hard."

"I know it's hard to believe but trust me, it's true. Duo has a little known condition called Hermaphrodism. Have you heard of hermaphrodites, Une?"

Une nodded. "I have heard the expression, yes, but I don't fully understand it.

"Basically a hermaphrodite is a person born with the sex organs of both male and female. Usually one set is the stronger and the condition is recognized at birth or soon after when it is usually surgically corrected. Given Duo's background, neither he nor the authorities would have known about his condition. The first anyone knew of it as far as we can tell was when G began his training as a Gundam Pilot. For reasons he will explain later if you wish to know, he didn't inform Duo of his condition." Sally began to explain the facts of Duo's unusual body make up to Une who listened intently. Meanwhile Wufei moved closer to the bed, his mind half on the words that Sally was speaking, the rest of his attention on Maxwell and Yuy.

Duo stared up from the bed; his heart was pounding in his chest as Wufei approached. He couldn't read the Chinese man's eyes and that worried him. He grasped Heero's hand a little tighter.

Heero also watched the faces intently, trying to judge what Une and Wufei were thinking, how they were reacting to the news. Une, he gathered was being her usual efficient self, demanding the facts so as she could determine the case better. Wufei…well, Wufei was guarding his reaction pretty well. Heero felt Duo's hand tighten upon his own and squeezed back, trying to reassure his lover. He raised his eyes to meet Wufei's.

Pausing at the side of the bed, Wufei stared down and spoke. "Is this true, Maxwell? You really are carrying a child?"

Duo nodded.

"Sally has the pictures if you want to view them." Heero said softly.

Wufei snorted in disbelief. "A man cannot carry a child, Maxwell. This is all some sort of joke you two have concocted together. I have warned you before about practical jokes, Maxwell, but this time I think you have gone too far."

"It isn't a joke, Chang." Heero said quietly. "Here, take a look." Heero passed over the pictures that Sally had taken with the earlier ultrasound. "Sally estimates that Duo is around seven to eight weeks along."

Wufei took the pictures and gazed intently at them. He really couldn't make head or tail of them but knew enough from the expression on both Yuy and Maxwell's faces, combined with the speech that Sally was still giving to Une to know that somehow this was true. He swallowed and looked from the pictures to Duo. "This is a…"

Duo nodded.

"And it is inside you?"

Duo nodded again.

"You are going to be a mother?"

"Ahhh… well…." Duo began to say.

Wufei turned to Heero. "I take it that you are the father, Yuy? That you are going to be a daddy?"

Heero nodded.

Wufei felt as if the air had been sucked out of the room, blackness tinged his vision and the room began to spin. "Well, shit!" he stated and then his eyes slipped shut as he lost consciousness and fell to the ground.

Duo's eyes widened as he watched the Chinese agent slump to the floor. He turned to look at Heero, a grin on his face. "Never thought I would see him lost for words," he quipped.

Heero stared at the lump on the floor and shook his head, a smirk on his lips as he thought, / Wufei-2 Duo-2 /

Hearing the crash to the floor behind her, Sally quickly spun around just as Wufei landed in an unceremonious heap on the floor. She quirked an eyebrow and looked at Une as her hands went to her hips. "What is it with men and fainting?" she asked.

"And they say that women are the weaker sex." Nurse Brown muttered as she made her way to the young agent's unconscious form.

In the bed, Duo snickered softly. It wasn't often he scored a victory over Wufei but this time… This time, he'd scored a whopper.

Tbc…….