Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 49 ( Chapter 49 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier.

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Summary: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Special thanks to my wonderful beta's DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai, I'd be lost without you guys!

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 49

"Where the fuck am I supposed to get a paper bag from?!" Heero yelled at his partner.

"I don't know, go ask Siska or have a look in the kitchen but hurry up!" Duo yelled back before turning his attention back to the gasping woman. "Hilde? Hilde? Hey, Hilde. Slow down with your breathing, try to relax and calm down... slow breaths..." Duo encouraged the woman while rubbing a soothing hand over her back.

Heero shot out of the room and headed for the kitchen. "Siska! Do we have any paper bags in here?!" he yelled as he barreled into the kitchen.

Siska looked up from where she was chopping vegetables as the young man charged into the kitchen, his hair and eyes wild. "What ever is the matter, Master Heero?"

"Miss Hilde, she's hyperventilating and Duo said to get a paper bag. Do we have any?" Heero began to yank open cupboard doors and search wildly.

"Calm down, Master Heero, or you will be the next one hyperventilating," Siska said in her quiet tone as she wiped her hands on her apron. "I'm sure I have a paper bag in here." Siska began to search through the pantry and seconds later, produced an inconspicuous looking brown paper bag. "Here you are," she said as she handed the bag to Heero. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Heero gratefully took the bag. "No, thank you. We should be fine now," he said as he spun around and charged out of the kitchen and back to the lounge. He skidded to a halt next to Duo who was still trying to get Hilde to calm and slow her breathing. "Here." He thrust the bag at Duo who took it.

"Thanks. Here, Hilde. Breathe into this paper bag," Duo said as he opened the bag and placed it over the woman's mouth and nose. "Try to breathe slowly," he encouraged.

Heero sat back down, his concerned gaze on the girl whose breathing was finally starting to slow and her face beginning to return to its usual color.

"That's it, nice slow, even breaths," continued Duo, his hand still rubbing Hilde's back as she managed to calm herself.

Finally the breathing returned to normal and Duo took the bag away. "Thanks, Duo. I don't know what happened," Hilde said as she reclined back on the chair.

Duo remained crouched at her side. "You sure you're okay now?"

"Yes, I'll be fine. It was... well, let's say a big shock." Hilde smiled and turned to face Heero. "I guess I should be saying congratulations to you both." She shook her head and stared at Duo. "You're not pulling my leg about this are you, Duo? 'Cause if you are then I promise you a slow torture in return."

"Nope, cross my heart. I had no idea of my condition, Hilde, not until I was on a mission with Heero and I kinda got injured. When Sally did scans to find where the bullet had lodged..."

"You were shot! Why the hell didn't you tell me?!" Hilde interrupted.

Duo put his hands up in defense. "Hey, I'm sorry but at the time there wasn't a whole lot I could do, if I recall correctly I wasn't too conscious for a lot of the time and then when Sally discovered what she did and informed us both, then the last thing on our minds was telling people. We had to come to terms with it ourselves first, and now there are all the other factors to consider."

Heero took over the conversation from Duo and explained everything to Hilde; from the mission disaster through to Sally's findings and the consequences of such if word was to get out. "So now you see what why there is the need for all this security," Heero finished.

Hilde sat forward. "I wondered why all the extra cameras, dogs and things were around. I thought it was just you being your usual paranoid self, Heero," she said with a grin. "Now I can see why. Don't worry though; your secret is safe with me."

Heero visibly relaxed. He knew Hilde's word was good enough, he knew how much she cared for Duo and there would be no way in hell she would let anything happen to her 'baby brother' as she called him.

Hilde turned back to Duo. "So that's why you're getting a bit of a belly on you," she said slyly.

Duo's eyes sparkled as he stood up and placed a protective hand over his stomach. "Yeah, you could say that, Heero has been looking after me really well."

"May I?" Hilde raised her hand and nodded towards Duo's belly.

"Sure." Duo stepped a little closer and let Hilde place her hand on his swelling abdomen.

She gently ran her hand over the small bump, delight shining in her eyes. "This is so cool. I'm going to be an aunty," she grinned. "You're twelve weeks along?"

"Yup."

"When's your due date?"

Duo looked at Heero. "Would you believe I haven't a clue? With everything that has happened I forgot to ask Sally."

"Baka!"

"Well, Sally is calling by tonight to give me my next ultra sound so we can ask her then," Duo said.

"Ohhh, ultra sound pictures. Duo, would you mind if I watched while Sally's here? I promise to keep out of the way but if it's going to be too embarrassing or something then I will understand and I'll stay out of the room."

"That should be all right, I don't have any objection, do you, Heero?"

Heero shook his head. "Fine with me."

"Great." Hilde removed her hand and Duo sat back on the couch next to Heero whose arm immediately went around his shoulders. "Any idea what sex it is? Got any names picked out?"

"No and no." Duo smiled. "We want it to be a surprise and as yet we haven't really thought much about baby names; but whatever it is, the name will be special, just like the child." Duo's eyes softened as he spoke.

"That's so sweet," Hilde replied. "You know, I'm still finding this hard to believe but I want you both to know that I'm really happy for you. Sheesh, a baby..." Hilde shook her head again.

Heero looked up as a shadow appeared in the doorway. "Yes, Harim?"

"Sir's, Doctor Sally is here."

"Thank you, Harim. Would you let her in, please? We will come out now and meet her."

"Yes, sir." Harim went off to let Sally in.

Hilde stood up. "Come on then, I'm dying to see my niece or nephew." She moved over to the two men and stepped between them as they stood. Linking her arms with one each of theirs, the three of them left the lounge and went to greet Sally.

~ * ~

Sally ran the sound head across Duo's abdomen, searching for the small fetus. Heero and Hilde both gazed intently at the screen. "I don't know how you can tell what's what, out of all those lines and shading, Sally," Hilde said, a frown between her brows.

"It can be quite confusing at first but after a while you learn what shapes to look for, what the shading means and so on. I won't pretend and say it's easy; it takes a lot of study to understand half of these pictures. The easiest thing though is to look at the shadowing; there you will see different shapes beginning to form. Ahhh... here's what we're looking for." Sally pressed the sound head a bit harder and moved it a little to the left. "Here," she pointed to the screen. "If you look carefully you can make out the outline of the baby's head."

Three sets of eyes scanned the screen while Sally traced the outline of what she was showing them with her pen. "Ahhh..." Heero could see the roundish shape now that Sally had defined it.

Hilde smiled, her excitement was overwhelming her and she could feel the lump of joy rising in her throat. Duo's eyes went glassy as he stared intently at his child's picture.

"And here is the spine," Sally traced the line again. "The vital organs should all be developed by now and the baby's facial features are becoming more defined," Sally kept up her little monologue as the three watched the screen with interest. "The arms and legs are pretty much complete and if you look really carefully you can see them curled up."

Heero really couldn't tell and neither could Duo but Hilde cooed softly. "This is so amazing. I can't believe that this baby is really inside you, Duo. You're one lucky guy, you know that?"

Heero turned his shining eyes to his lover and took his hand. "Hai, he knows how special he is." Heero kissed the back of Duo's hand warmly.

Duo melted. "Awww..... Heero," he sniffled.

Hilde grinned. "Cute."

Duo wiped his teary eyes. "Sorry," he mumbled. "Can't seem to stop sometimes."

Sally smiled as she took the fetus measurements and then turned the machine off. She wiped the excess gel from Duo's abdomen and pulled his sweat pants back up to his waist. "There you go, all done for another week. Now, there are a few things I need to discuss with you." Sally gave Duo a pointed look which meant 'do you want to hear this alone or not?'

"Whatever it is, Sally, you can talk in front of Hilde, she's family after all," Duo smiled as he levered himself into a sitting position on the small examination bed, Heero assisting him.

"Okay. Firstly, you have reached the end of the first trimester which is usually the most difficult to get through. Difficult because in the first twelve weeks is when things that can, usually do, go wrong. That doesn't mean to say that things still can't go wrong though, but in normal pregnancies by the end of the first trimester the risk of miscarriage is reduced by sixty five percent. Your baby appears to be developing normally and the placenta is still nicely attached and showing no signs of separating from the womb wall. That's good. Now to you, Duo..."

"Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like what's about to be said?" Duo rolled his eyes and gripped Heero's hand a little tighter.

"I'm only going to warn you about what can happen during this second trimester, it doesn't mean to say you will experience all of it, you may experience some or maybe even none. But if you know what can occur then you can be prepared to deal with it," Sally said quietly.

"Okay, Doc. You're the expert." Duo gave her a tight smile.

Sally shook her head. "Right. During the next few weeks the baby is going to be growing so it stands to common sense that you are going to gain weight and therefore your abdomen will swell. You may experience abdominal pain, pain to the ribs; hip and groin pain are also possible. This is because the baby is growing and your internal organs are going to have to move to make room for the child. With the growth, you may find yourself urinating more as there will be pressure to your bladder as well. The morning sickness should ease, although you may still feel nauseous at times and the cravings will probably continue."

"Shit! More Crunchie bars," Heero muttered.

Sally ignored him and continued. "You may also find yourself becoming breathless and dizziness with fainting is not uncommon either. You may experience lower back pain as more pressure is exerted on those muscles and you might get numbness or tingling in your hands and fingers. Your feet may also swell and you could get rashes in your groin area and then there is the risk of varicose veins."

"Fuck!"

"Lastly you may become depressed; but the one thing we really need to watch out for is that you don't start to bleed. If you notice any bleeding whatsoever you are to call me immediately and lie down until I get here. Understood?" Sally gave Duo a firm look.

Duo nodded and then in a weak voice he asked, "Is that all?"

Sally smiled and pressed a reassuring hand to his shoulder. "I forgot to mention you may get itchy skin too but it's not as bad as it sounds, Duo. You may not experience any of these things, although the weight gain is a certainty."

"It's the bleeding that has me worried," Duo said quietly. "If I start to bleed, what does that mean?"

"It could be one of several things, Duo. Some women experience a little bleeding during pregnancy but carry to full term and deliver a healthy baby. Usually it means that the cervix has opened a bit or in extreme cases the placenta is coming away from the womb wall, this is why I need to know immediately if you start to bleed. Your womb is deformed as it is, so the cervix you have isn't like a usual female cervix. From what I can tell from the ultra sound pictures, your cervix is more like your anal sphincter muscles, which is why I want to keep a close eye on the development. Too much pressure and the muscle could begin to stretch and open; and that's something we really don't want to happen."

Somehow Duo had a feeling that Heero would be checking his underwear each day if given half the chance. He decided to get in first and turned to his partner. "Don't even think about hijacking my boxers, Heero."

Heero raised an eyebrow in question.

"You know what I mean, Yuy," Duo growled.

Hilde sniggered.

"Any questions?" Sally asked to get the subject back on track. She pointedly looked at her watch.

Duo's face crinkled into a mischievous grin. "You have to be somewhere, Sally?"

"Well... yes, as a matter of fact."

"Ahhh... Got a hot date do we?" Duo continued to tease and when Sally's face began to color, he knew he'd hit the nail on the head. "You do have a date! So, come on, tell. Who's the lucky guy?"

"If you must know, Duo, I'm going out to dinner with Wufei."

Duo sat stunned for a second then turned to his lover. "Quick, Heero. Get the smelling salts, I think I'm gonna faint with the shock!"

Heero thwapped him upside the head. "Baka! Leave Sally alone, she's entitled to have a private life just as much as you are ," he stated and then turned to Sally. "You're really going out to dinner with Chang?"

This time it was Hilde who thwapped Heero. "Give the woman a break, will ya?! Geeze, if she wants to go out for dinner she can, it's none of your business." Hilde turned to face Sally. "I want details," she grinned.

Sally rolled her eyes. "I give up! Now, if there is nothing more I will take my leave."

"Oh, hang on a sec, Sal. I have a couple of questions for you."

Sally paused in her exit and turned back to Duo. "What are they, Duo?"

"Firstly, can you tell me roughly when the baby is due and secondly, is it all right for me to go to the mall tomorrow and do some shopping? I really need to get some new clothes as my wardrobe is rapidly shrinking."

Smiling, Sally reached into her bag and pulled out a chart. She fiddled with the thing for a moment and then faced the three. "Working from when you were last bleeding, the development of the fetus so far I would say you will be due around the end of January. Somewhere between the 20th and the 25th. I will keep a close eye on you from Christmas on because if you should start to go into labor, we will need to intervene immediately. Other than that, I would say you will be booked into the hospital to have the C-section around the 20th of January."

"Cool. Now, can I go shopping?"

"Yes, you may, but..." Sally looked firmly at him. "No overdoing it. Actually it would be best to get your shopping done very soon as you will begin to show more shortly. Now is probably the best time, while you're still fairly inconspicuous. If that is all, I will be on my way."

"Thanks, Sally," Heero said as he escorted the woman to the door. "Enjoy your dinner with Chang."

"I will. If you have any concerns, call me. Nurse Brown will be back on Monday to check Duo's vitals and take another blood sample for me. Just make sure he doesn't over exert himself shopping tomorrow."

"Hai, I'll keep a close eye on him. Good evening, Sally"

"Evening, Heero." Sally went down the steps and climbed into her car; moments later, she was heading down the driveway.

Heero watched the tail lights disappear before going back inside to find his lover and adopted 'sister'. They had come back down into the lounge room and Hilde had a pen and paper with her. They both looked up when Heero entered. "What are you doing?" he asked as he made his way over to the couch and sat next to Duo.

"Hilde's writing out a list of things we need to buy, Heero," replied Duo.

"I thought it would be pretty straight forward. Pants, shirts, that type of thing," responded Heero as he craned his neck to look at the list.

"Yeah, well, the stuff for me will be simple enough, but we haven't got much of a clue of what we're gonna need for this baby," said Duo, glancing out the corner of his eye at Heero.

"Baby things?"

Hilde looked up at Heero. "Yes, baby things. Look, Heero. You're going to need quite a few things for this baby when it arrives, you can't leave shopping for it until the last minute you know. Seeing as how I'm here for a few days and we're all going to the mall tomorrow wouldn't it make sense to get all the things you're going to need for the baby while we're there?"

"She has a point, Heero. Besides the fact that Hilde probably knows more about what we will need than we do it seems logical for her to write us out a list. We might as well get everything now while I'm still able to go out in public because somehow, buddy, I can't see you shopping for the stuff by yourself. Also with your taste in things, I don't want our child wearing nothing but spandex," Duo snickered.

Heero gave him a glare.

"If I'm with you guys when you're getting all this stuff, it won't seem unusual."

"Define 'unusual'. Duo and I have often gone shopping for things together and no one has given us a second glance," Heero stated, a little miffed.

"Think about it, Heero. Two guys in a baby shop by themselves, buying things like diapers, bottles, clothing and stuff. Don't you think that's going to look a little weird?" sniggered Duo.

Heero thought about that. "Hai, you do have a point there. It might raise suspicion and that's something we need to avoid."

"It won't look so bad if I'm with you," said Hilde. "Also I can help you out with your selection of things, show you what to look for, what's the better buy and so on."

"Since when did you become such an expert on babies?" Heero asked.

"A few of my friends on L2 have children," Hilde replied. "I've baby sat for a couple of them from time to time."

"Aaaa."

Hilde smiled. "Now, let's get back to this list. Duo says you haven't bought anything at all yet, is that right?"

"Hai."

"Okay. Let's start then. You're going to need a cot, then there are the cot linens, diapers, bottles, baby formula, baby seat..."

Heero sat back feeling completely out of his league and let Duo and Hilde get on with it. Half the things she was talking about were completely alien to him. He sighed. Looked like he would be tagging along for the ride and playing the part of the wallet when they went shopping tomorrow.

~ * ~

tbc......