Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 52 ( Chapter 52 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes, WAFF, humor.

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 52

Hilde found the pair staring silently at the small mobile, both lost in their own thoughts and a smile graced her lips. Despite what she knew about the pair, their pasts and now their future, they were definitely good for each other and she had no doubt in her mind that they would both be good parents. Sure they would struggle, what new parent didn't? But at least their hearts were in the right place and they were determined to do the right thing by this child.

She stayed out of sight, opting to give them a few moments alone and just watch the serenity of the scene.

With a soft sigh, Heero turned around. "I guess we should find Hilde and go pay for all these things." He was stopped from walking away though by Duo's hand holding his wrist and he paused, turning to look at his lover's face, a face that was soft with emotion. "What is it, Duo?"

"Heero, this isn't... This isn't easy on you, I know. All this stuff," Duo waved in the direction of the shopping cart, "It isn't cheap and there seems to be such a lot of it. I didn't know a baby would require so many things." Duo ran a hand through his bangs and struggled with his words. "I suppose what I'm trying to say is... the expense... can we afford it? I don't want us going broke or you putting in long hours with Preventer just so this baby and I can have the top of the range stuff. You're more important to me, Heero, than the latest style in cots. I don't care if we have brand new things or second hand, the baby will be fine regardless. But we both need you in our lives, need you to spend time with us, not working overtime and crawling home late at night only to be gone first thing in the morning."

Heero raised his hand and cupped Duo's cheek in his palm. "I know what you're trying to say, Duo, and I do appreciate your concern." Heero looked at the overflowing cart. "I'm pretty sure that the credit card won't melt, although we may need to put off a few things until it gets closer to your due date." Heero leant forward and quickly gave his lover a chaste kiss. "I want to be at home as much as I can for the child and you too, Duo. I don't want to miss any of those special moments. I love you so much and our child." Heero gave Duo's belly a light touch.

"Ohh, Heero. Why do you put up with me?"

"Because no one else would?" Heero replied, quirking an eyebrow, a soft teasing smile on his lips.

Duo shook his head. "Take me home, Hee-chan. I think I've had enough for one day."

"It will be my pleasure, little mother."

~ * ~

Heero maneuvered the pick up through the traffic and back towards the mansion; inside, the occupants were quiet, mainly because they were all too worn out from the shopping trip. Hilde was looking forward to sitting down and putting her feet up. Duo longed for a hot bath, cup of coffee and snuggle time with Heero, while Heero just wanted to get home and away from the crowds, to be able to kiss and cuddle his partner. The back of the pick up was nearly full with their purchases, some things though they hadn't bought, deeming them either not absolutely necessary or that they could wait until the child was closer to being born. Hilde had also pointed out that knowing their friends, most of them would want to buy them something for the baby as well, so it was best to leave some things for others to purchase.

Duo's mind had immediately flipped back to Quatre and his comment of a baby shower. While he wasn't adverse to people buying gifts for the baby, he certainly didn't want to go the whole hog and have a baby shower. The thought of himself being *on display* so to speak, did not sit well and he'd voiced his strong opposition to the idea when Hilde had suggested that maybe they should let Quatre organize one for them.

Soon the familiar driveway came into view and Heero swung the pick up through the gates and along the tree lined drive, relief flooding him as the windows of the mansion appeared up ahead. He brought the vehicle to a halt out front of the main door and turned off the engine. The three occupants climbed out as Harim appeared around the side of the house and Siska opened the front door. Duo and Hilde turned to the back of the pick up and were about to start lifting out packages when Heero put his hand on Duo's shoulder. "And just what do you think you're doing?"

"The packages won't walk into the house by themselves, Heero," replied Duo.

"I know that," came the reply. "Leave them, I can bring them in shortly, you need to rest, Duo."

"I'm not an invalid, Heero," Duo growled. "I'm sure I can carry a few packages inside."

Heero sighed and softened his tone. "I know you're not, Duo. It's just that you've had a very tiring day and I'd feel much happier if you were to go and sit down and relax." Seeing the violet eyes begin to spark Heero quickly added, "Here, you take a couple of the lighter packages in then, I'll bring the rest. Have you decided which room you want to use for a nursery yet?"

Now that diverted Duo's attention and the long haired man thought for a moment. "No, I hadn't really given it any thought," he replied as his brow furrowed.

"Then let's put all this stuff in our room for now, after we've had dinner we can work out which room you'd like for a nursery and plan things out from there." Heero felt quite pleased that he'd managed to diffuse a potentially violent scene.

"Okay," Duo replied amicably. He hadn't given any thought really as to a nursery and now that Heero mentioned it, his mind was chewing it over. He took the parcels Heero held out to him and walked inside, heading for his and Heero's room to dump them on the bed.

Hilde gave Heero a wink and waited until the American was out of earshot before she spoke. "Nice save there, Heero," she laughed.

Heero just sighed. "It isn't easy, Hilde. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells most of the time. I don't know what to expect next and the smallest comment can spark him off into a full rant, or even worse, upset him and cause him to cry. I hate it, upsetting him and all but I just don't know half the time what's going on or how he's going to react." Heero slumped against the car, folding his arms across the side panel and resting his head upon them.

Hilde walked over to him and rubbed her hand along his back in a soothing gesture. "If it's any consolation, Heero, he probably feels the same. It's all those changing hormones, it's like being on a roller coaster, or so I'm told. One minute you're fine, happy and laughing, all is right with the world kinda thing and then, wham, you're in the depths of despair. It isn't his fault, the same as it isn't your fault either. He feels bad when he snaps at you but he can't help it at the time and he knows it, which makes him feel worse. Then you get upset because you've upset him and so on. It's a never ending circle, Heero. You're not the first couple to go through this sort of thing and you won't be the last either. The one most important thing to remember at all times though is no matter what gets said or done, at the end of it all Duo loves you, Heero. He always has and despite any words or actions that pass between you, he will still love you, with all his heart. I know he will. He's my baby brother after all and that's what a big sister is for; to make sure her brother is happy and with you, Heero, he's more than happy." Hilde trailed off and stood beside the Japanese man, letting him take in her words. She hadn't meant to be so sappy but once she had started to talk, she couldn't stop.

Heero turned to look at the young woman, a small smile tugging at his lips. Before Hilde had a chance to move he'd swept her into his arms and gave her a hug, planting a soft kiss to her cheek as he released her. "Arigato, Hilde. I love him too, so much that I think if I was ever to lose him, it would kill me."

Hilde smiled and touched Heero's cheek. "Then just be there for him, Heero. That's all you can do. Laugh with him, cry with him, share his pain and sorrow, let him use you as a punching bag for his frustrations, for he will need to use something and the making up part is always fun. But most of all; love him for who he is inside."

Heero turned and looked towards the mansion where Duo had gone inside and felt his heart tug. "I promise I will always love him," he whispered to both himself and Hilde.

"Come on, we had better start getting these things inside before Duo comes back out and insists on helping," teased Hilde and the somber mood was lifted. With Harim's assistance, it only took two trips and the pick up was empty, the packages all being stored in Heero and Duo's bedroom to await unpacking later on.

Siska had made a casserole for them, knowing they would no doubt be tired when they got back; Heero gave the surprised woman a kiss on the cheek for her kindness and forethought and mentally noted to ask Hilde what she could recommend he buy the woman as a thank you gift for her kindness.

With dinner out of the way they all felt a little better and retired to the lounge room with a coffee for Duo and tea for Hilde and Heero. Heero produced a Crunchie bar much to Duo's delight and the long haired man snuggled close to his lover on the couch to eat it. Hilde was amused at the sight of bliss on Duo's face as he made short work of the sweet treat. With their drinks nearly finished Heero brought up the topic of the nursery again.

"Have you had a look through the rooms yet Duo and decided which one you'd like to have converted?" he asked as he took a swallow of his tea.

"No, I haven't," replied Duo. "I thought I'd wait for you and we can pick one out together." Soft violet eyes turned to meet warm cobalt and Duo smiled. "It will be more fun that way."

"Hn." Heero gave his lover's braid a light tug. "Would you like to check out the rooms now?"

"Sure, why not?"

Heero raised himself from the couch and took Duo's hand, assisting his partner to rise then turned to Hilde. "You want to come too?"

Hilde smiled at the pair. "I think I'll stay here if you don't mind. My feet are aching from all the shopping today and I'm really too comfortable to move. You guys go ahead, you can show me later which one you decide on."

"Okay." Duo turned to Heero. "Come on then, Hee-chan, let's go have a look and see what we think would be the best room."

Heero let his lover lead him out of the room and up the stairs to the bedrooms. Once they reached the hall way Duo paused and took a long look. "I think we need a room that is really close to ours, Heero. That way we can hear the baby when it wakes."

Heero nodded in agreement. "It might be best to have the baby sleep in our room at night to start with and then once it gets a little older we can move it into the nursery permanently."

"I hadn't thought about that, Heero." Duo smiled at his lover. "That would make sense, now that I think about it. The child will be easily heard for feeding and changing at night if it's in our room and during the day, it can either sleep in the nursery or our room." Duo pressed a soft kiss to Heero's lips. "I always knew there was another reason why I loved you."

"You mean you love me for more than my body then?" Heero teased.

"Of course!" Duo snorted and ruffled Heero's hair. "Although your body is the main thing," he whispered and then took off laughing down the hall.

Giving an amused shake of his head, Heero followed his teasing lover along the passageway and caught up with him at the doorway of the room before theirs. Slipping his arm around Duo's shoulders they gazed into the room together.

"What do you think, Hee-chan?"

"Too big."

Duo looked around the large room that currently had a dresser, walk-in wardrobe and double bed in it. "I guess you're right."

"Something a little smaller I think, Duo. Even though the baby is going to have a lot of things, a large room isn't necessary. We're going to need to have things pretty much within easy reach for changing, bathing and things like that."

Duo liked the way Heero had said `we' as opposed to `you'. It made him warm inside. "Okay, let's have a look at the one opposite our room then," replied Duo and turned around. He stopped and opened the door to the room directly across the hall from their own. Flicking the light switch on, he stepped inside and gazed around.

Heero entered the room behind him and took in the contents and size. "Now this one is more like the size we need," he said softly. They walked into the center of the room and paused, Heero stepping behind his lover and wrapping his arms around Duo's waist whilst resting his chin on Duo's shoulder. "What do you think, Duo?"

"I think it will be perfect." Duo said quietly as he continued to appraise the room. Again there was a double bed and dresser with a smaller walk-in wardrobe to the side but the room was much smaller, about half the size of the previous one. "We should be able to put everything we need in here and have it all within easy reach without cluttering the place either."

Heero's hands rubbed over Duo's small bump as he spoke softly. "I agree. Although there is one thing..."

"And what might that be?" asked Duo as he continued to study the room, working out in his mind's eye where things would go.

"The color scheme will have to be changed."

Duo chuckled. "I take it you don't like green, Heero."

"On the contrary, I don't mind green but not this shade, reminds me too much of your earlier morning sickness."

Duo whirled around in his lover's arms, a look of incredulity on his face. "I did not take on that shade when I was sick, Yuy." As if to emphasize his point, Duo poked Heero in the chest.

"Well, you certainly looked it to me," came the light reply.

"Okay, so I wasn't the best, but I certainly wasn't that color either," Duo huffed. "Anyway, I do agree, it isn't a good color for a nursery. Any ideas as to what colors we should paint it?"

Heero thought for a moment. "Neutral colors would be best I think, maybe a pale blue or soft yellow."

"I like the sound of yellow. I think it would make it fresh," Duo responded as he tried to imagine the room in a pale yellow.

"I'd like to put one of those borders up, you know, a strip of animals or something about halfway up the walls?"

Duo nodded. He knew what Heero meant; they'd seen them at the baby store. It was a strip of something akin to wallpaper, approximately 20cm wide with a pattern on it. There had been many different ones to choose from, baby animals, cartoon type characters, fluffy ducklings, you name it, they had it. A border running all around the room about half way up the walls would certainly add a touch to the room. "I think that would be a good idea, Heero. Any idea what pattern?"

"Iie. I think I'd need to look at the available ones once the room is painted, find something that matches with the room's color. I'd hate to have anything that clashes."

"Mmmm..." Duo began to envision where things could go in the room. "We would have to remove the bed from in here but the dresser can stay, the baby's clothing can go in there."

"Hai. I think we should put the cot over there," Heero's hand waved in the direction of the wall with the window on its right. "There will be better light over there but not direct so as to be annoying to the child."

Duo turned in his lover's arms again and studied Heero's suggestion. "If we move the dresser to there and have the baby's changing things on it then everything should be close at hand."

Heero nodded against his lover's neck. "I'll call Quatre in the morning and see if it's okay with him to change this room into the nursery."

"I'm sure he won't mind," replied Duo as his mind continued to envision the nursery. "We will need to put up some shelves as well."

"I tell you what, Duo. You plan out what you would like, color scheme, furniture placement and any extras and I'll do my best to make this room how you want it."

"I want to help too, Heero."

"I'm sure we can find things for you to do that won't cause you to over stress yourself and still contribute to the room." Heero was beginning to learn that it was easier to agree with Duo and find simple tasks to occupy him rather than try to prevent the man from doing anything at all.

"Thanks, Heero."

They stood for a few moments longer, planning things out in their heads before Duo decided he was tired and wanted to sit and rest for a while. Heero wasn't about to argue and led his lover back to the lounge room where Hilde was watching a movie. Heero sat on the couch with Duo lying down, his head in Heero's lap, fingers trailing through soft chestnut bangs.

Gradually Duo's eyes closed and he drifted off to sleep while his partner watched, a soft smile playing over his lips.

"It's all going to work out, Heero," Hilde's voice broke into Heero's thoughts.

Heero looked up at the woman and he smiled; a genuine from the heart smile of happiness. "You know something, Hilde? I believe you."

~ * ~

tbc.....