Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 59 ( Chapter 59 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes, WAFF, humor.

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 59

By the time Heero returned from the store with the banana ice cream and choc mint topping, Duo had finished his Crunchie bar and disposed of the evidence. Heero set to work in the kitchen, fetching the vegetables and fish from the 'fridge and preparing them to cook. Soon the smell of grilling fish invaded the kitchen, causing Heero's stomach to rumble. He hadn't realized he was this hungry. While the vegetables steamed he fetched a couple of plates from the cupboard and set them on the bench top. He retrieved another tray as he hadn't yet picked up the one he'd dropped earlier in the nursery, making a mental note to clean the mess up as well as soon as dinner was finished with.

Dishing up the food onto the plates he added two glasses of apple juice to the tray as well as cutlery and condiments then checked that the stove was turned off. Picking up the tray he left the kitchen and headed for the bedroom where he was sure Duo was hungrily awaiting his dinner. Using his back to push the door open he entered their bedroom and walked towards the bed, smiling at the eager look on Duo's face. He was happy to see his lover looking a bit brighter than before and also glad that his appetite had returned. Now that his pregnancy had progressed so the morning sickness had gone, leaving Duo with a ravenous appetite, one that Heero was only too happy to cook for. At least Duo wasn't a particularly fussy eater and enjoyed vegetables, other than spinach that was. That was one thing Sally didn't have to worry about, Duo certainly ate a well balanced diet.

"Smells great, Heero. What is it?" asked Duo as he shuffled himself to a sitting position.

"It's fish," replied Heero as he placed the tray down upon the dresser and assisted his partner to sit, fluffing the pillows behind him before fetching the small bed tray and positioning it over Duo's lap. With Duo all set for his dinner, Heero brought over the glass of apple juice and plate, depositing them on the tray and returning seconds later with the cutlery and condiments. With Duo ready to eat, Heero carried the tray over with his own dinner on and sat on the bed next to Duo.

Duo's mouth was watering as he stared at his plate. The fish was golden, cooked perfectly as only Heero could do. There was cauliflower, corn, new potatoes and Duo's favorite, carrots. "You're spoiling me, Heero," he said as he sprinkled a little salt on the vegetables.

"You deserve to be spoilt, Duo," Heero responded as he began to cut into his fish.

They ate in silence, Heero pleased to see the food rapidly disappearing from Duo's plate. "I got the ice cream and topping you wanted," he said as he placed his knife and fork on the plate. "Would you like some now or a little later?"

"I don't think I could fit it in right now, so maybe a bit later on," replied Duo as he finished off the last of his fish. "That was delicious, Heero. Thank you."

"My pleasure, Duo," Heero said as he collected the dirty dishes and placed them on the dresser, returning to the bed to snuggle for a few moments with his lover. "Are you sure you've had enough to eat?"

Duo ran his hand over his swollen abdomen. "More than enough, Heero. If I try to squeeze anything else in then this kid's not gonna have any room in there," he snickered.

Heero placed his own hand on top of Duo's and stroked the bump lovingly. "Thought of what you want to call this child yet?"

"Not really. I mean, I have given it a little thought but I don't know. I want it to be something special, a name that will be not only nice but hold a special meaning, 'cause this child is special, Heero."

"Hai, I agree." Heero contemplated Duo's words as he sat beside his lover, hand resting gently on the bump. "If you like, I can bring the laptop up here and you can have a search around the Internet and see what you can find in regards to baby names."

Duo's face lit up and he kissed Heero soundly. "That would be a great idea, Heero. I'm bored shitless lying here with nothing to do."

"Thought you might be," replied Heero with a knowing grin.

"You can read me like a book, can't you, Heero?" Duo sighed.

"Not all the time." Heero stood up. "I'll take the dishes down and bring the laptop up for you. I won't be long."

"Okay, thanks. I'm just going to go and take a pee."

"You need a hand?" Heero turned and asked, his voice thick with concern.

"Umm... I think I'm quite capable of taking it out and holding it to pee, Heero," Duo chuckled and then his laughter increased as he watched Heero's face redden.

"That's not quite what I meant, Duo. I just wanted to be sure you could walk there on your own, no dizziness or anything." Heero tried to dig himself out the hole he'd fallen in.

"I know what you meant, Heero, I'm just teasing you." Duo threw back the covers and slid his legs out of the bed. He sat on the mattress for a moment before standing up. His head swam for a second and then cleared. "I'll be fine, Heero," he said as he began to take slow steps across the room towards the bathroom.

"I'll be right out here if you need any help, okay?" Heero wasn't about to go anywhere until the American was safely back out of the bathroom and back into the bed.

Understanding Heero's concern, Duo didn't question it, rather he agreed to his partner's worries and met him half way. "No worries, Heero. If I need any help I'll call you." He shuffled slowly across the room, his head still thumping but he didn't feel like he was going to pass out again. Shutting the door behind himself he made it to the toilet and lifted the seat, taking himself out of his pajamas and aiming, he growled at his bladder. "You'd better make sure to empty yourself now as I don't intend getting up every ten minutes and making that trip across the room." His head was aching a lot now and all he wanted to do was lie back down.

His bladder must have been listening to him for a change and soon there was a steady flow hitting the porcelain. Once finished he flushed the toilet, washed his hands and headed back out to the bedroom. He fully expected Heero to be hovering outside the door for him but was pleasantly surprised to see the other man across the room arranging the dishes on the tray to take back down to the kitchen. He looked up at Duo as he left the bathroom and Duo gave him a nod to let him know all was well. Moments later he was back in the bed, covers pulled up around his chin and a warm kiss pressed to his lips.

"I'll go drop the dishes off and be right back with the laptop." Heero stood up and fetched the tray. With a smile to his partner over his shoulder he left the room.

Duo stared at the ceiling, thinking about the baby, the mishap and Heero's nurturing side. He grinned to himself. Who would have ever thought that Heero could be such a worry wart? Speaking of the Japanese man, Duo's eyes turned back to the door as said man entered with the promised laptop.

Fetching the laptop for his lover, Heero wondered to himself if now would be a good time to inform Duo of Nurse Brown's inpending arrival as well as the little the woman had given him in regards to her background; but before he could say or do anything, the 'phone rang. Heero dropped the laptop to the bed and went to answer the 'phone. "Yuy speaking."

Duo watched in curiosity from the bed as Heero answered the 'phone. He raised an eyebrow in question as to who the caller was, his curiosity even more piqued when Heero rolled his eyes at him.

"He's fine thank you, Quatre."

Ahh... Now he knew the reason for Heero's glum look. He couldn't help but snicker to himself and then gape in horror as Heero thrust the 'phone at him.

"I'll put him on." Heero turned to look at his smirking lover, noting how the smirk faltered when he offered the 'phone. "It's Quatre and he wants to speak to you. Seems he's gotten wind of your little 'accident' and wants to reassure himself by talking to you that you're all right." It was Heero's turn to smirk now.

"Bastard," muttered Duo as he took the 'phone, his demeanor suddenly changing as he spoke into the gadget. "Hi, Q-man."

Heero could vaguely hear Quatre's voice on the other end; even though it wasn't clear enough for him to make out what was being said, he caught the general gist of the conversation from Duo's replies and words.

"I'm okay, Quatre. The paint fumes got a little too much, that's all and I passed out."

More chattering.

"No, I hit my head but it's fine, Sally came around and checked me over and both myself and the baby are doing okay, no damage to either one of us."

Heero raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I do have a couple of stitches but nothing serious..." Duo poked his tongue out at Heero who shook his head at the childish behavior. "Honestly, Quat, there's no need for you to come and stay, Heero is taking care me and the nurse is moving in soon so I'm well looked after."

Heero paled.

"Sure I'm sure. No, there's nothing we need... I promise not to lift anything... No, Heero will be finishing off the painting..." Duo began to look a little agitated. Heero took pity on his partner and motioned for Duo to pass him the 'phone. "Heero wants to speak to you for a minute, Quat." Without waiting to hear the blonde's protests, Duo quickly shoved the 'phone towards Heero and collapsed back into the pillows.

"He's fine, Quatre, but he does need to rest so it's best if he doesn't talk too much on the 'phone."

Duo gave his partner a grateful look.

"No, he will not be doing anymore painting,… in fact the nursery is almost completed. I only have half a wall to finish and then the border to do before we can move the furniture in and start to arrange everything." Heero took a deep breath while Quatre obviously went on a little rant of some sort; Heero tried but couldn't get a word in edgewise. "No, he... I'll make sure... Sally said... But there's no need too..." Heero rolled his eyes now in exasperation.

"Quatre! Listen for a moment, please."

The 'phone went silent and Duo gave his lover a look.

"Thank you. We both appreciate your concern but there is really no need for you and Trowa to come here and stay. Everything is under control and Duo should be back to his usual self within a couple of days. If we need you I will call you but for now Duo needs to rest."

There was what sounded like a bit more of a protest down the line but Heero stood firm.

"Quatre, I have to go now. Duo needs to go to the bathroom and I have to help him."

Duo's head shot up and he looked at Heero. "No, I don't," he muttered.

Heero waved at him to be quiet.

"Yes, Quatre, I'll let you know if anything changes but I really have to go. Thanks for the call, bye." Without waiting for Quatre to respond, Heero disconnected the call and tossed the 'phone to the bed, sighing dramatically and flopping down on the mattress, arm slung across his eyes.

Duo snickered. "I need to go to the bathroom, do I?"

Heero peered out from under his arm at him. "Sorry, I couldn't think of any other way to get away from him."

"Yeah, he can be a persistent little bastard at times."

"He only means well, Duo."

"I know, but one mother hen is bad enough, I don't need a mother goose as well."

Heero chuckled. "Mother goose?"

"You know what I mean," replied Duo, a smile quirking his lips.

"Speaking of Mother Goose..." Heero thought that now was probably as good a time as any to bring up the topic of Nurse Brown and her future arrival. "While Sally was talking with you I had a talk with Nurse Brown."

"Oh?" Duo raised an eyebrow and folded his arms over his chest. "Why do I get the feeling that I'm not about to enjoy this talk?"

Heero averted his eyes but continued to speak. "We were discussing when she is going to move in here and help to take care of you."

"Fuck! There's no escape is there?!"

"Don't be like that, Duo. You knew she would be moving in sooner or later, we'd already agreed on that."

"I was hoping it would be later rather than sooner," Duo groused. "Guess there goes my caffeine."

Smiling, Heero moved a little closer to his pouting lover and laid a hand on Duo's arm. He gave it a light squeeze. "She won't be moving in for about another three weeks yet. Sally seems to think she should move here when you're around nineteen to twenty weeks along. For the first few weeks she will still be attending the hospital on a daily basis and spending the nights here. Once you get to around twenty seven weeks then Sally's going to change the rosters so she can be here permanently."

Duo was busy doing mental calculations and wondering just where exactly in their room he could hide a coffee machine without it being detected.

"You will still be able to enjoy your coffee for a while yet so don't despair. Besides, I'll make sure you get at least one cup a day even when she's here full time."

Duo wrapped his arms around Heero and snuggled against his lover. "And just how do you propose to do that? The woman is part blood hound." Duo made a mental note to add to his stash of Crunchies, it couldn't do any harm anyway.

"She's actually not that bad once you get to know her."

"Says the almighty Heero Yuy who shits himself if the woman so much as looks at him."

"I do not!"

"Yes, you do! You even told me that she scared the living daylights out of you!" huffed Duo, but his tone was teasing.

"Yeah, well..." Heero had turned a rather fetching shade of red. "I had a good talk with her earlier and underneath that sergeant major impression, she's really a nice lady. She's also a widow."

It was Duo's turn to be embarrassed now. "She is? What happened?"

Heero related the information that Nurse Brown had shared earlier with him. "So that's why she went into pediatric nursing and midwifery, she loves kids, Duo, but couldn't have any of her own."

Duo picked at the blanket. "I guess she wouldn't appreciate me feeling sorry for her."

"No, I don't think she would although I'm sure she wouldn't mind you expressing your regrets and then forgetting about it."

Duo chewed on that for a moment. "It must have been really hard for her and to work with kids as well knowing you can't have your own..."

"She isn't the type to bear grudges against those who can bear children, Duo. I gathered that much from our talk. Rather she strikes me as really passionate about her work, she really does care about the babies and their mothers and she seems to care a lot about you," he said slyly.

"Well, at least I won't feel guilty about her leaving her family to stay with us then."

"Oh, there's something else."

"There is?" Duo wondered just what that 'something else' was.

"She has a pet which she wants to bring with her and I said it would be all right."

"A pet?" Duo's eyes lit up. He adored animals and as much as he enjoyed playing with the dogs, they were really guard dogs so he couldn't play with them like he could have if they were pets. "What sort of pet?"

"A Weiro."

"Pardon?"

"A Weiro."

"Heero? What the fuck is a Weiro?"

Heero chuckled. "Apparently it's a cockatiel."

"A cock-a-what?"

"Cockatiel. It's a type of parrot."

"Oh. Sounds cool." Duo frowned. How the hell could a parrot be classified as a pet? It didn't really do anything,… well, not as far as Duo could picture anyway. "Does this Weirdo have a name and what does it do?"

"Weiro, Duo, not weirdo and yes, its name is Barney. What it does though I couldn't tell you; I guess you will have to wait and see."

// Good thing we don't have a cat, // thought Duo. He shrugged his shoulders in response. "You gonna hook up the laptop for me?"

"Hai. Sorry, I forgot with the 'phone call and all." Heero stood up and began the task of hooking up the laptop. Minutes later Duo was sitting up, propped by fluffy pillows and surfing the net for baby names. Heero smiled as he left the room to clean up the neglected mess on the nursery floor while his lover occupied himself with finding an appropriate name for their child.

~ * ~

tbc......