Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 66 ( Chapter 66 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

See previous chapters for disclaimer, notes etc.

Thank you to all those people that contacted me in one form or another with kind wishes in regards to my car accident. I'm now much better, the car is being fixed and the muse has been located and dragged back where it belongs.

Enjoy...

Chapter 66

The morning traffic wasn't too bad, mainly due to the still early hour. Heero parked the Preventer vehicle back in the garage and dropped the keys through the small 'night' slot as none of the mechanical crew were in yet. With thoughts of the baby's kick the previous evening running through his head, Heero made his way through the building to the hospital section, pushing through the doors and approaching the reception desk. The woman looked up and smiled at him.

"May I?" he asked and nodded towards the doors that led through to the wards and showed her his ID badge.

"Certainly, sir," she replied.

"Arigato." Heero pocketed his badge and headed through the doors, remembering his way to Duo's room with ease. No one stopped him or asked him where he was going for which Heero was grateful. Shortly he arrived at the closed door to his lover's room and hesitated. He raised his hand and knocked softly, unsure of what to do, not knowing if Duo was awake, had company or what waited for him on the other side of the door.

He waited for a few minutes but didn't hear anything. Tentatively he reached for the door handle and slowly turned it. The door began to open smoothly and he stuck his head around it to peer into the room. The room was fairly dark as the curtains were still drawn but Heero's eyes adjusted quickly. He could make out the lump in the bed, the tail end of a disheveled braid poked out from under the blankets and the gentle sound of breathing was the only noise in the room.

Hero smiled to himself and entered the room as quietly as he could, not wanting to disturb Duo. He snuck across to the bed and leant over for a closer look. The smile widened and his heart melted. Duo was curled up on his side, face partly buried in the pillow, blankets pulled up around him and Heero could see the outline of Duo's arm wrapped around his swelling abdomen. Rather than disturb the serenity of the moment, Heero sat in the small chair beside the bed and opted to watch his lover sleep.

He didn't get to observe Duo like this very often and so took any chance that presented itself. In sleep Duo's face was completely relaxed, there were fine lines around his eyes which Heero knew were representative of the braided man's love of smiling; he literally smiled with his eyes. The creamy skin, so soft to the touch, held a warm glow on the high cheekbones, the dark lashes lay in a half moon, a contrast to the fineness of the almost translucent covering. A slightly upturned nose, that still bore a faint scar from one of Duo's many space battles, rested above the rich, red lips that Heero knew tasted as divine as they appeared. Like appreciating a fine wine, Heero drank the vision of his lover in. So entranced with the feyness before him he didn't notice Duo wake up.

The violet eyes fluttered open and focused immediately on Heero. Seeing the look of distraction in those cobalt eyes and noting the way that Heero was simply staring at him, he smiled.

"Mornin' Heero," he said softly.

Heero jolted back to the present and blushed, embarrassed at being caught studying his lover. "Morning, Duo. How do you feel?"

Yawning, Duo snuggled into the warmth of the bed and thought about the question. "Not too bad," he admitted. "A little sore and achy, head's a bit fuzzy but otherwise I feel okay."

"Well that's good news I'm sure. Has Sally been in to see you yet?" Heero rose from the chair and leaned in close, sweeping Duo's bangs away from his face and reaching for a morning kiss.

Duo melted into the kiss, his lips following Heero's as they left, reluctant to break the contact. "No, Sally hasn't been in yet but I don't think it will be too long before she comes to do her prodding and poking thing."

"Any... Any more bleeding?" Heero asked, almost afraid of the answer he was going to get.

"Not that I know of," replied Duo. "Mind you, I'm not allowed out of this bed for anything, not even the toilet at the moment. Speaking of which," Duo blushed slightly. "Do you think you could pass me that bottle over there, I really need to pee, dunno whether it's the kid or this damn saline they keep pumping into me."

Heero fetched the paper wrapped item and handed it to Duo who promptly pulled the paper off and slid the bottle under the bed clothes. Heero turned away and went to open the curtains, giving his lover some privacy.

"I'm done."

Turning back around, Heero approached the bed again as Duo slipped the now rather full bottle out and handed it over. "Shit! You did need to go, you've nearly filled it," said Heero as he began to walk towards the bathroom to empty the bottle.

"Don't empty it, Heero. Sally needs it for some tests or something," called Duo in alarm.

Heero stopped and returned to the bed. He picked up the discarded paper covering and put it back over the bottle, then he set the bottle down in the bathroom. He really didn't need to have that in his line of vision.

The sound of a knock followed by, "Duo? Are you awake?" came at the door.

"Yeah, I'm awake, come in," replied Duo.

The door opened and Sally entered. "Oh, hello, Heero. I didn't know you were here."

"I haven't been here very long. I did call this morning and speak to Nurse Brown, she said it was all right for me to come in and see Duo," said Heero as he looked at the doctor.

"That's fine, Heero," Sally said as she picked up Duo's chart from the holder at the end of the bed and read through the information.

"What's the verdict?" asked Duo.

"So far, so good," replied Sally and replaced the chart. She came to the bed side where she could talk to the pair a little easier. "Your blood pressure, breathing and heart rates have returned to normal which is excellent. The baby's vital signs have also returned to a normal level so at this stage everything is pointing towards a full recovery." Sally gave Duo a stern look to emphasize her next point. "That doesn't mean to say that you can get up and start moving around though. The abruption could start again at any time, more so if you put any undue stress on yourself. I want you to spend at least another three days here so I can keep a close eye on you; I have more tests scheduled for later today to check on the placenta and its position, also the baby. If those tests come back clear and everything is going okay then I will permit you to get up but only for personal hygienic reasons, that means to shower and use the toilet only, nothing else." Sally turned to look at Heero. "I will notify Une of Duo's status shortly; from here on in he is no longer working on Preventer cases."

"But..."

"No buts, Duo," Sally stated as she turned back to the American. "I said rest and I mean it. You are officially on maternity leave from today until I say otherwise, got it?"

Duo swallowed hard as he took in Sally's expression. He knew she was serious, if he didn't obey her orders she was likely to find some other way to get at him... and he knew it wouldn't be pleasant. "I got it," he murmured.

"Maternity leave?" questioned Heero as he raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, maternity leave. All Preventer employees are entitled to maternity leave."

"Doesn't that usually apply to the female agents? I mean, in case you hadn't noticed, Duo is male."

"Doesn't matter. It does not stipulate that you have to be a pregnant female to be granted maternity leave. Some of the men have also taken leave when their partners have been expecting. In this case just because it's Duo who's expecting doesn't mean that he isn't entitled to the leave; he's just as entitled as any other new mother to be is. Oh, and you will also be granted maternity leave once Duo approaches his due date."

Heero didn't dare look at Duo; he already knew what expression would be on his partner's face. "Speaking of Une, I must see her today in regards to this assignment." Heero decided that to change the subject would be the easiest way to get out of the hole he was likely to dig for himself if the talk about maternity leave was to continue along its current path.

Duo looked sharply at his partner. "I take it you're intending to tell her you're not going on the assignment?" For Heero not to go on an assignment was a mini revolution in Duo's book. Heero had never refused an assignment, it simply wasn't in his vocabulary to say no to a *mission*. But then again, Duo reflected, Heero had changed a lot over the past years, just how much so was being brought home to him now and he suddenly began to see his lover and partner with new eyes.

"Hai. That is my intention. With the current situation I do not think it wise to leave you."

It was Duo's turn to feel the lump in his throat, the depth of Heero's caring for him and their child showing through in those clear blue eyes and stubborn set of Heero's jaw. "It's okay, Heero. I'll be fine, honest. I promise I will do exactly what Sally says."

"Iie. I don't want to be apart from you, not when you're still at risk."

"Excuse me for interrupting but didn't you mention something about Trowa and Quatre staying with Duo before, Heero?" Sally asked as she replaced the chart.

"Hai, I did. But I don't think..."

"At the risk of being told to shove off and mind my own business, I'd suggest you talk with Une and see if you can't come to a compromise of some sort. Failing all else I'm sure that Duo would agree to having Trowa and Quatre stay with him whilst you're away. Either that or I will admit him to the hospital until such time as you return." Sally looked carefully at Duo, trying to gauge the American's reaction. It was exactly what she expected.

"Hey! Don't I get a say in what happens here?"

"No." Both Sally and Heero said at the same time.

"For once in your life, Duo, you're going to do what you're told to, not only for your own sake but for the safety and well being of your child." Sally fixed him with a firm look.

"Let me talk to Une and then go from there," said Heero as he tried to soothe Duo's ruffled feathers.

All he got in reply was a grunt as his lover turned his face away from him.

Heero looked at his watch. "I'd better go and see if I can catch Une before she gets started on the day's work. I'll be back soon, Duo." Heero leaned in towards the bed, hoping for a kiss good bye. All he got was a mass of chestnut braid. He sighed and looked at Sally who gave him a smile and mouthed 'He will be okay, he's sulking'. Heero nodded and turned to leave.

Duo waited until he was sure that Heero had left before surfacing. He was pissed off with both his lover and the doctor and determined to wallow in his misery. With any luck Heero would cave in eventually and Duo would have some say in his life. Sally was going to be another story though. She was one tough cookie and seemingly immune to Duo's puppy eyes, pouts and charms.

"Now, Duo, It's time for me to check that there is no more bleeding. I need you to move over a little and lower your briefs."

Oh yeah, and she was also one sadistic woman as well.

~ * ~

Heero made his way out of the Preventer Hospital and through the medical wing, taking the elevator and riding it to the top floor where the commander's offices were located. He strode along the corridor, head high, steps sure and confident; even if he was feeling a little nauseous inside. He approached Une's office and pausing for a moment to compose himself, entered and approached the secretary.

"I wish to speak with Commander Une."

"One moment please, Agent?"

"Day."

"Agent Day. I'll see if she can see you at the moment." There was no need for the secretary to ask if it was important, the reply was always the same. She'd long ago abandoned that practice finding it much easier just to push the intercom button and let the Commander decide if she was available or not. "Commander, I have Agent Day here to see you. He doesn't have an appointment."

"Send him in."

"Yes, ma'am." The secretary released the button and turned back to Heero but the agent had already heard and was half way across the room.

"Thank you," Heero called back over his shoulder as a last minute thought. He knocked politely at the door and then opened it when the command to enter came from the other side.

Une was sitting behind her desk, a stack of papers spread out in front of her and she looked up as Heero entered. "Agent Day, what can I do for you?"

Seeing as how he hadn't been asked to take a seat, Heero remained standing and directed his gaze at the superior officer. "I wish to inform you, Commander, that I will be unable to accompany Agent Fire on the assignment."

Une quirked an eyebrow. "Really? And why is that, may I ask?"

Heero proceeded to fill Une in on Duo's latest problem, making sure not to omit any of the details, regardless of how painful they were for him to recall.

Une listened intently, not interrupting but letting Heero have his say. Once the agent had finished she furrowed her brows in thought, pursing her lips and resting her chin on her steepled fingers. "Agent Day. I suggest you take a seat. We need to discuss this in more depth..."

Heero did as requested, sensing that his commander was not in the least happy with him.

~ * ~

Duo shifted again in the bed, trying to find a comfortable position to lie in. Nurse Brown had been in to let him know she was going off shift and that Doctor G and Sally would be taking care of him until she came back on shift that evening. Duo wasn't too happy about it but there wasn't anything he could do. Fortunately he didn't require a lot of 'nursing', mainly just having the bottle, a jug of water and the call button in close proximity being enough. Sally had alerted the nursing staff that he was a special case suffering from a highly contagious disease or something and was in quarantine so no one other than herself, G, Heero and Nurse Brown were permitted near his room. To be honest, Duo didn't give a shit what tale they'd spun; he just wanted to go home.

Sally had checked him and declared that there hadn't been much more bleeding. She'd put another of those damn pads on him again though, sadistic person that she was. G had returned and assisted Sally to conduct some more tests on him, mainly the ultra sound and checking his insides were all still there and functional. From what he could gather from the conversation the abruption hadn't started again and while it hadn't repaired itself, there was no signs of it tearing any further.

That was a relief to him.

The baby had also shown up as being okay and his eyes misted as he recalled watching the small creature wave its arms around. He hadn't felt any more kicks since the previous evening but Sally assured him that it was quite normal and that the baby would soon be kicking away again, and when it did, he would be wishing it would stop. The other tests she had done on his urine and blood had come back clear so as far as he could tell everything was proceeding normally once again.

Heero hadn't returned as yet, although he did send word that he would be back as soon as he could, so Duo had been left alone with his thoughts. He didn't particularly like that. He felt guilty that Heero would refuse to go on the assignment because of him, especially as it was so close to the date he was due to leave. He chased the thoughts around in his head and the more he thought the guiltier he felt. Eventually he came to a decision; he'd accept Trowa and Quatre coming to stay and helping him out while Heero was gone; it was the least he could do to make it up to his partner for all the shit he'd caused over the past day or so. Now all he had to do was wait for Heero to come back and let him know of his decision.

He was dozing lightly when he heard the unmistakable click of the door opening. Instantly his eyes opened and then a smile tugged at his lips as Heero's hand, waving a white handkerchief appeared around the edge of the door.

"I surrender, is it safe to come in?"

"Heero, you idiot. Of course it's safe to come in," Duo replied with a laugh.

The rest of Heero's body found its way around the door and into the room, the door being closed behind him. Heero tucked the handkerchief back into his pocket and approached the bed, pleased to see that his lover didn't appear to be angry with him any longer. That was good considering the news he had to break. "How are you feeling now?" Heero asked a little tentatively.

"Much better now that you're back," replied Duo as he opened his arms for Heero.

Heero pressed himself into the embrace and returned it with his own, then stole a kiss before making himself comfortable on the edge of the bed. He ran a hand over Duo's swollen belly. "Is everything all right with the baby?"

"Sally did another ultra sound and ran some tests. Everything is showing up clear and the baby was moving around so as far as Sally can tell, all seems to be okay. The abruption thing hasn't gone any further and the bleeding has stopped so she seems to think that the worst is over." Duo picked at the blanket as he spoke, unsure of how to approach the subject of Heero's mission and Quatre staying. He was saved from that though as Heero began the conversation.

"Duo...?" Heero began.

"Yeah?"

"About this assignment..." Heero paused and took a breath. Best to just get it over with. "I spoke with Une about taking me off the assignment due to the circumstances..."

"I bet that went down like a lead balloon," Duo stated.

"Sort of. She wasn't very happy with me." // Actually that was an understatement; completely and utterly annoyed would have been more accurate, // Heero thought. "I tried to explain to her but she was insistent that I continue as planned..."

Duo could envision the scene quite clearly. Heero would be standing in his defiant pose, refusing to budge and insisting that he be reassigned, while Une would be equally as adamant that Heero would be going on the assignment. Duo shuddered as he recalled the few times he'd witnessed the woman's alter ego during the war; presumably Heero had just engaged the psychotic side in a little up close and personal verbal debate. Duo guessed it wouldn't have been pretty. "Heero, I've been thinking..."

"She really gave me no choice other than to complete the assignment but I'm still..."

"You really need to go on the assignment, Heero. I've thought about it and you're right, Trowa and Quatre can come and stay, I've been a bit selfish..."

"...worried about leaving you so I think it would be a good idea to still have Trowa and...." Heero paused and looked at his lover. "Pardon?"

Duo couldn't help the smile as he took in Heero's stunned expression. "I said I am quite okay with Trowa and Quatre coming to stay with me whilst you're on the assignment."

"Really?" Heero's face began to change as a smile found its way to his mouth.

"Yes, really. I have done a lot of thinking, Heero, and I realize that I'm being very selfish and unfair to both you and the baby. I know I can't do the things I usually do and this little 'scare' has made me understand just how fragile this whole pregnancy thing can be. I know now that I have to take it easy and I'm sure I can suffer with 'Mother Goose' for a week without becoming completely suicidal."

Heero felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders. "I'd still rather it was me that was taking care of you, Duo, but I'm afraid that Une won't give an inch on this. I have to go. It will make it easier though knowing that Trowa and Quatre are staying and looking after you. Are you sure that you don't mind, that it's okay?"

"I'm sure," Duo replied and squeezed Heero's shoulder. "Besides, I think I'd rather be at the mercy of blondie than Doctor Jekyll."

"Doctor Jekyll?" Heero quirked an eyebrow.

"Yeah, Sally. I'm sure that woman is into sadomasochism, either that or she has a worse fetish than I do for sharp pointy things."

Heero laughed and kissed his partner. "Somehow I don't think I want to know, Duo."

"Trust me, you don't."

~ * ~

Sally was pleased with Duo's progress and allowed him up to shower and visit the toilet on the third day of his confinement, something that Duo was eternally grateful for. He could swear he was getting a rash on his dick from using the bottle so much, especially with the amount of saline they insisted on pumping into him via the drip. The bed pan was another matter entirely, the cold steel not encouraging one in the slightest to empty their bowels. The bed baths had been suffered through with dignity, mainly because it was Heero that took it upon himself to wash Duo.

Heero had contacted Trowa and Quatre again and updated them on Duo's condition. Quatre had been all set to come straight away but Heero had managed to have a good talk with the blonde, as well as with Trowa and warned them both about 'smothering' Duo. After extracting a promise from Quatre that he would try to keep his mothering instincts under control and a promise from Trowa to apply the gag to Quatre should the need arise, Heero finally felt a little more comfortable about going on the assignment. He consoled himself with the thought that at least Duo was fully aware of the penalties for committing murder.

Finally Sally was happy enough with Duo's progress to allow him to go home, all his and the baby's vital signs having stayed stable and the tests showing nothing more was occurring. She signed the release papers for Duo to return home and gave him a long lecture about resting, even going as far as to give him a list of the things he was allowed to do and nothing else. With Duo's promise to do exactly as he was told he finally left the hospital and returned to the mansion. Heero was leaving in two days and Duo was desperate to spend some quality time with his lover before he left.

With a light heart, he allowed Heero to buckle him into the passenger seat and drive them both home.

~ * ~

tbc.........