Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 70 ( Chapter 70 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 70

Heero looked at the clock as he finished off his tea. "I'm sorry to be so rude, guys, but I must go and finish my packing. Wufei will be here soon and I'm only half done."

"That's fine, Heero. Look, you go finish your packing, just tell us which room you want us to use and Trowa and I can unpack and settle in, that way we will be out of your hair for a bit," said the blonde.

"Arigato." Heero stood up and assisted Duo out of his chair. "This way," he said and stepped out of the lounge room, stopping to pick up one of the bags in the hall.

"Leave them, Heero. Quatre and I can carry them up," said Trowa and quickly took the bag from Heero's hand.

The four headed up the staircase, a little slowly due to Duo's condition. Heero disappeared off into his and Duo's room, leaving Duo to show their guests to their room. "We thought you might want to use this room," said Duo as he opened the door to the room two doors down from his and Heero's.

"That's fine with me," replied Quatre as he stepped inside, Trowa following behind.

Trowa didn't care which room they used, as long as it had a bed, his husband and they were close enough to Duo's room to be of assistance should he need them. "You go spend some time with Heero. We'll unpack and go back downstairs once we're done."

"Okay. What time do you guys want dinner?"

"Anytime is fine with us."

"Anything in particular you want to eat? Only keep it simple as I'm not a fancy cook," said Duo with a sheepish grin on his face.

"Oh." Quatre frowned. "I forgot that Siska only does the cleaning."

"Yeah, Heero and I usually share the cooking. I don't mind and neither does he."

"I'll make something for dinner."

Both Quatre and Duo turned to look at the Latin man.

"What?" Trowa asked. "I can cook you know."

"Oh I don't doubt it, Tro," Duo snickered.

"You never told me you could cook, Trowa. Why haven't you cooked before?" asked the blonde, a frown on his face.

Trowa turned his gaze the blonde. "Firstly you never asked and secondly I can't get into the kitchen because of Andre`."

"Andre`?" questioned Duo.

"He's the chef," responded Quatre. "Trowa, if I'd known you liked to cook I would have made sure you could use the kitchens whenever you wanted too."

"And piss Andre` off? No thanks." Trowa turned and opened up his bag to begin unpacking.

"But, Trowa..."

"Umm... I think I'll get going back to help Heero." Duo really didn't want to be caught in the middle of a 'domestic' between his two friends. "Tro, there's stuff in the 'fridge and the freezer, just help yourself if you're sure you want to cook. I can't eat anything spicy though, gives me and sunshine here a bit of a stomach upset, not to mention gas."

"Okay. Thank you, Duo. At least someone appreciates the offer of my culinary skills," he added, deliberately baiting his husband.

"How the heck can I appreciate them if I've never tried them? Honestly, Trowa. Why didn't you say something before...."

Duo retreated then, leaving the pair to their arguing and went in search of his own lover. He found Heero still sorting through clothing. He walked into the room and towards the bed, casting a curious glance in his lover's direction. Heero was bent over, rummaging through one of the drawers of the dresser and tossing things out towards the bed without looking. As Duo drew closer so a pair of boxer briefs hit him in the face. He pulled the garment away and stared at it. "Damn! Just my luck. There's nothing in them," he said in a rueful tone.

Heero stopped in his raiding of the underwear drawer and turned around to see Duo holding up a pair of his boxer briefs, a woeful expression on his face. "Pardon?"

"I said, that's typical of my luck. I get a piece of underwear in my face and there's nothing in them," he replied as he held up Heero's boxer briefs.

"I'm seriously going to have to have a talk with Sally about your libido, Duo, especially if you're talking to underwear now," Heero teased.

"Really, now?" Duo cocked his head to one side. "Can I help it if I like my underwear to come with a generous package?"

"Duo, you're incorrigible."

"But you still love me, Hee-chan." Duo gave his lover a kiss and then went back to the bed to sift through and pack what Heero had tossed there.

***

Having unpacked and put away their things, Trowa decided to go back downstairs and check out the contents of the 'fridge and freezer. Quatre was still chiding him for not speaking up about enjoying cooking and Trowa was beginning to wish he'd never opened his mouth. He did enjoy cooking but with Andre` holding the kitchen as his personal space he wasn't game to invade. He recalled the one time he'd gone in there to make himself a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. All hell had broken loose. Andre` took it as a personal insult that Trowa would want to get the sandwich himself rather than have Andre` do it and when Trowa had tried to explain that he hadn't wished to cause anyone any extra work on his behalf, Andre` translated that into 'Trowa thought the chef was lazy'. Since then Trowa had avoided the kitchen and the chef who sniffed at him if he was ever unfortunate enough to clap eyes on him.

Trowa found the freezer and scoured the contents, moving packets of food aside as he studied the insides of the freezer. Heero had certainly stocked up and neatly divided things into separate portions. Spotting a large packet of mince, he decided to keep it simple and make spaghetti bolognaise. It wouldn't be spicy so Duo would be safe there, plus it was simple and easy and didn't take a lot of preparation or cooking time. He wasn't sure just when Heero would be leaving and if he would have time to eat before Wufei's arrival. Returning to the kitchen with the frozen packet of mince, he popped it into the microwave to thaw whilst he prepared the tomatoes, onions and garlic.

"Something smells good."

Trowa smiled as he felt a familiar pair of arms wrap around his waist. "Spaghetti Bolognaise," he replied.

"Anything I can do to help?"

"There's a French stick over there on the side, would you like to slice it and butter it with this garlic butter, please?"

"Ohh... garlic bread." Quatre released his lover and went to fetch the stick and do as requested while Trowa continued on with his cooking.

Shortly after Heero and Duo appeared in the kitchen doorway. "I see you found something to cook," said Duo as he walked over to the island bench where Quatre was busy buttering garlic bread.

"Anything I can do?" asked Heero, looking at Trowa.

"You can set the table if you like, oh and Heero, are you eating with us before you go?"

"Hai," Heero replied and looked at his watch. "I should have enough time."

The spaghetti didn't take long to cook and soon they were sitting around the table with steaming plates of delicious smelling bolognaise in front of them and the aroma of garlic bread drifting through the air.

"I'm definitely going to have a word with Andre` when we go back," said Quatre. "This is divine."

Trowa swallowed but kept the thought of an irate chef to himself. It wouldn't surprise him if Andre` tended his resignation if forced to let someone share his kitchen.

"I second that, Quat. This is great, Tro. You can cook all the time whilst you're here if you want," said Duo happily as he tucked in.

Heero opted to continue to eat and say nothing.

The ringing of the doorbell disturbed them yet again.

"That will be Wufei," stated Heero.

"I'll go let him in," said Duo. "You finish eating, Heero." Duo stood up and went to answer the door, leaving the others to continue eating their meal.

"Wufei!" Quatre leapt up from his seat and went to embrace the Chinese man as Duo brought him into the room.

Duo snickered at the look on Wufei's face; it was one of resignation. The Arab was the only one that Wufei would let hug him, and that was only because the blonde had continuously ignored the looks, threats and cold response that the Chinese man had given him until in the end Wufei had decided it was easier to declare defeat and accepted it. It was simply Quatre's nature to be warm and friendly, he hugged all his friends.

"Winner," Wufei replied and stiffly returned the embrace before turning his attention to Trowa and nodding at the tall man. "Barton."

"Chang, good to see you again," replied Trowa and continued to eat.

Wufei turned to face Heero. "Are you ready, Yuy?"

"Almost. I'm all packed and will be finished my dinner in a moment."

"Chill, 'Fei. Sit down for a minute and take a load off. Surely you can spare a few for Heero to finish eating, the assignment isn't all that desperate that it's gonna fall into a hole because Heero hasn't finished his dinner," teased Duo as he sat down himself and resumed eating.

Wufei looked at his watch. "We have time," he replied and sat down.

"Want some garlic bread? Quatre made it," asked Duo as he passed the basket of bread to Wufei.

"No, thank you. I don't want my breath reeking of garlic."

"Well Heero is eating it so you're going to have the aroma of it anyway," retorted Duo.

The Chinese man turned towards Trowa. "You and Winner are staying with Maxwell for the duration of the assignment, correct?"

"Yes."

"Then all I can say is I hope you have a good psychiatrist at the end of it all, you're going to need one." Wufei took a piece of the garlic bread.

"Hey!" snorted Duo looking hurt.

"Can't handle the truth?" Wufei cocked an eyebrow as he bit into the bread.

"If I'm crazy then what does that make the rest of you?" huffed Duo.

"I decline to answer that on the grounds that it might incriminate me," responded Quatre.

"What he said," smirked Trowa.

"I'm finished so we can go whenever you're ready, Chang," said Heero as he ignored the conversation around him.

"Good. Go get your bag and we can head off." Wufei reached for another piece of Garlic bread.

Heero took his plate to the sink, Duo following him. He'd lost what remained of his appetite now that it had come time for Heero to leave. The two of them departed the kitchen, Duo waiting at the bottom of the stairs whilst Heero went to get his bag.

The remaining three waited in the kitchen, Quatre and Trowa finishing off their dinner and exchanging news with Wufei. A few minutes later they went out to meet up with the other pair and bid Heero good bye.

Heero tossed his bag into the back of Wufei's car and then turned back to the assembled group. Wufei stepped aside and went to the car, giving Heero the opportunity to say his farewells.

"Take care, Heero and don't worry about Duo. Trowa and I will make sure he's okay," Quatre said as he gave the Japanese man a hug.

"Arigato, Quatre. Just try not to smother him with your concern. I know you mean well but he thinks of it differently and I don't want either one of you getting hurt."

"I promise to behave myself, Heero. I'll bite my tongue when I can but there will probably be times when we're not going to see eye to eye."

Heero gave him a small smile. "I know. Just avoid blood shed if you can and stay alive." Heero released the blonde and Trowa stepped forward to take his husband's place. Heero shook Trowa's offered hand.

"Look after yourself, Heero. No heroics or anything. Duo needs you, your child needs you, so make sure to be careful."

"I will. I have something to come home to now, a life that's worth living and I'm not about to give that away," replied Heero.

Trowa's mouth curved into a smile. "I'll watch his ice cream intake too," he winked.

Heero laughed and shook his head. "You're a braver man than I am, Trowa Barton if you think you can come between Shinigami and his ice cream."

"Just promise me red roses for my funeral wreath." Trowa stepped back and taking his husband's hand, led the way to the car to leave Heero alone with Duo.

Duo was biting the inside of his cheek. He was trying hard not to let the tears fall but it wasn't easy. He'd kept up his cheerful facade for Heero's sake, not wanting his lover to know how much he hated the fact of Heero being away from him, not to mention the possible danger as well. He could feel his barriers weakening though and no matter how hard he tried to hide behind the mask, it wasn't going to last much longer.

Heero stepped forward and wrapped Duo in his arms, pressing his face against Duo's neck and inhaling the scent of his lover. "I love you, Duo. Always remember that."

"Love you too, Hee-chan. Please, don't go taking any risks, come back home to me in one piece, okay? I need you, the baby needs you and besides, we still have a wedding to plan." Duo's voice wavered slightly despite his attempts to keep it light.

"I promise to come back to you, Duo. You promise me to look after yourself and do as Trowa and Quatre say. I don't want you ending up in the hospital again."

"I promise." Duo's voice hitched again and the tears began to slide from his eyes.

Heero pulled away from Duo's neck and brought his thumb up to rub away the spilling liquid. "Don't cry, Duo; I'll be back before you know I've gone."

"Sorry, can't help it," muttered Duo.

Heero dropped his hand to caress Duo's bump and lowered his head a little to speak to the child. "You take care of your mother, you hear? No playing football with his insides and let him get some rest."

Duo chuckled despite his tears and the hollowness inside his chest. He reached down and placed his own hand on top of Heero's running them both over the swell of the baby. "I'm sure that Sunshine here will be good and do as daddy says."

Inside Duo's womb the small fetus could detect an undercurrent of emotion and it disturbed the small baby. Whilst it didn't understand exactly what it was feeling from its mother, it wasn't happy either; so it reacted the only way it knew how... it began to move around.

Heero's face lit up as he felt the small push against his hand. "The baby, it's moving again, Duo."

"Tell me about it," sighed Duo. "Ouch! Leave my rib cage alone you mini terrorist!" Duo shifted as the baby pushed against his ribs.

Heero gave a small laugh. "Certainly an active little thing, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is." Duo gave a soft smile. Despite the discomfort the baby could and did cause with its movement, Duo was still awed to know there was a living being inside him... and that the baby was okay.

Hugging his lover once more, Heero pressed his lips to Duo's and kissed him deeply. "I'll miss you little mother, be careful and I'll be back as soon as I can."

Reluctantly, Duo let Heero go and followed him to the car where Wufei was sitting behind the wheel waiting to go. "Make sure he comes back in one piece, Chang, or Shinigami will be out for blood, pregnant or not."

Wufei saw the gleam in Duo's eye and knew the pregnant man wasn't joking. "I cannot foresee any problems with the assignment, Maxwell." Wufei's eyes softened and he offered Duo a small smile. "I will look after him though, you have my word."

"Thank you, 'Fei."

Wufei nodded and started the car. "We will contact you and inform you of our expected return once the assignment is complete. Meantime, you can contact Une if you have any concerns."

Duo inclined his head and wrapped his arms around himself as Wufei put the car into gear and prepared to leave. "Love you, Heero."

"Love you too, Duo. I'll be back soon."

Quatre and Trowa moved to stand on either side of the American, Trowa placing an arm around the shaking shoulders whilst Quatre wrapped an arm around Duo's waist, both offering comfort.

Duo stood, tears running unchecked down his cheeks as he waved good-bye to the disappearing taillights of the car. The three continued to stand outside until the car had vanished from sight, then Quatre gently led the still crying Duo inside.

~ * ~

tbc........