Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 75 ( Chapter 75 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for disclaimer, notes etc.

 

 

Chapter 75

 

Trowa busied himself in the kitchen chopping the vegetables for the evening meal, calm had returned to the house after the previous day's exploits with the car and the baby seat. None of them liked to admit defeat, especially to something as simple as a baby seat but they weren't prepared to risk any further damage to life and limb either. It was peace time now and there was no need for any of them to put their lives on the line any longer, even for something as evil as a baby seat.

 

Quatre had managed to get the wretched seat back into the nursery... eventually. When the blonde had returned from exiling the 'monster' he was sporting a few more colorful patches to his skin, mainly on his shins and thighs where the demon seat had managed to trip him up, causing him to fall and bang his shins on the stairs; if that wasn't enough, whilst he was down the evil thing had unleashed the power of its straps and battered the hell out of his thighs.

 

Trowa smiled to himself as the memory came back, one husband had reappeared in the kitchen, several shades of red and looking like he'd just been dragged through a hedge backwards. Duo hadn't helped the situation any by laughing uncontrollably at the blonde's disheveled state, despite his bruised jaw. Quatre had pouted and gone into a long rant befitting Wufei about the evils of car seats and how he was intending to write to the manufacturers for sure now and tell them exactly what he thought about their product and where they could put it. He threatened to include photos of their injuries and maybe go as far as to sue for damages. If not for the publicity and possible danger of said publicity to Duo and his condition, the Arab would have made good on his threats.

 

Duo knew his friend had the money to do it too and didn't doubt that the company would regret the day they ever sold Duo Maxwell a baby seat.

 

Fortunately Trowa had managed to calm the ruffled feathers, soothe the angered mind and stroke the fragile ego until Quatre reluctantly agreed not to do anything about the seat... for the moment anyway. At least until Heero got back and found the instructions. As Trowa pointed out, and quite logically too, the seat was probably quite simple to install, it was just a case of having the instructions and following them; to which Duo added that he hoped Heero knew where he'd put them. Quatre had said the Japanese man had better otherwise there was going to be blood spilt and undoubtedly a death before the seat was installed; preferably the seat's death and not one of theirs.

 

However, when Duo innocently remarked that when the baby had out grown this current seat and would require a new one and asked if Quatre and Trowa would be available to help out with the installation of said product, Quatre had growled, stating that both he and Trowa would be out of town when that happened and somehow managed to resist the urge to run screaming from the room.

 

Today had been a total contrast to the previous day's fun filled hours. The morning had been slow and relaxed, spent sitting out on the patio eating a lazy breakfast and soaking up the sun. Duo had taken a short walk around the garden with Trowa for company whilst Quatre had spent the morning ensconced in the office chatting with his many advisors and generally updating himself on the running of Winner Enterprises.

 

Duo had returned to the nursery and sorted through some more of the baby things, putting them away in the drawers and rearranging the stuffed animals on the shelf. Trowa had helped a little, talking with the braided one and finding out a little more about what Duo was going through with the pregnancy. Trowa had been fascinated when Duo had shown him the latest ultra sound pictures of the baby and had eagerly stared at each picture for ages, trying to figure out the shaded areas and make sense of them. When Duo pointed out the various bits and pieces it began to take on some sort of resemblance to a child and Trowa was impressed with Duo's ability to understand the pictures; that was until Duo confessed that he really didn't have a clue either and that Sally had patiently written down and drawn rough diagrams of what was on each picture for him.

 

Lunch had been a quiet affair and afterwards Duo had retired for a nap, the simple task of sorting out baby items had drained a lot of his energy. He was still recovering from the abruption and knew he had to rest so he heeded Sally's advice and listened to his body. When it told him to rest, he did. It wasn't easy to accept all these new changes and restrictions to his usually 'full on' life style, but Duo wasn't an idiot either. He knew he would be putting himself and the child at risk if he didn't make some adjustments to his way of living.

 

Sliding the vegetables from the chopping board and into the pan, Trowa smiled again to himself. Duo had certainly changed a lot over the past few years. He was still exuberant, bubbly and enthusiastic but he'd also matured as well. Finding Heero again had probably been the best thing for both of them. He could quite understand the split between the two once the war was over. Heero needed time, time to come to terms with himself and all that had happened during his young life and regardless of whether Duo knew it or not, he'd also needed time to adjust and accept the new peace.

 

They all had.

 

And they had all done it in their own way.

 

Had Heero and Duo plunged straight into the relationship at the conclusion of the war, Trowa knew in his heart that it wouldn't have lasted. Neither one was ready for such a commitment, despite how they felt about each other and the fact that they had already begun a relationship of sorts. In one way, Heero had done them both a favor with his disappearing act. Now that they were back together again the bonds had forged and strengthened, grown to the point where the pair really were soul mates. Trowa knew that Heero was completely and hopelessly in love with the American, and that Duo echoed that sentiment. They complimented each other, Heero tempering Duo's enthusiastic personality without taking away from it whilst Duo had managed to draw Heero from within his shell and let him enjoy the simple pleasures of life. The added bonus of Duo's anatomy and the subsequent pregnancy only cemented their devotion to each other.

 

This was going to be one very special child.

 

How could it be anything else with loving, doting parents like Heero and Duo?

 

And not forgetting the 'uncles' either.

 

Stirring the contents of the pan, Trowa's mind wandered back to the present. It was quiet. Too quiet. He frowned. Duo had gotten up from his nap about an hour ago, refreshed and looking for things to do. Quatre had concluded his business and informed his partner that he was going to find a book and sit quietly to read. Trowa's mind was immediately on alert. No noises could only mean one thing. Something was going on.

 

Either both men had disappeared out somewhere or they were up to something.

 

Trowa wiped his hands and turned the stove down low. He'd better investigate.

 

***

 

Trowa left the kitchen and wandered down the hall, ears and eyes alert for any sound of the two missing men. He thought it best to check the library first, after all his husband had said he was going to find a book and read. Approaching the library, Trowa noted the door standing open but no sound coming from inside. That would make sense though if Quatre was reading. He stepped inside the room and looked around. He couldn't see Quatre anywhere. He checked again, walking around the entire room just in case he'd missed the blonde sitting in a corner but there was no sign of his missing partner. Rubbing his chin in thought, Trowa decided to check the bedroom.

 

Moments later he was standing in the empty bedroom. He checked the nursery, poked his head in Duo's room just in case the pair were in there but still no sign of either man. With a sigh, Trowa headed back down the stairs and to the study, maybe Quatre had changed his mind and went back to do some more work.

 

The study was empty.

 

By now Trowa was becoming a little uneasy. It wasn't looking too good if he couldn't find either of the men. He decided to check outside in case they had gone for a walk, the thought that they may have left the estate for whatever reason did cross Trowa's mind but he dismissed it. Duo wasn't foolish enough to venture outside now, not with his stomach swollen the way it was, not that Duo was overly large by any means, but he was large enough that he would draw attention. Surely though if Quatre had left the estate he would have informed Trowa first of his intentions. As Trowa walked towards the rear of the house so a faint noise came to him, he paused and cocked his head, straining his ears. There it was again.

 

It sounded like crying.

 

Quickly, Trowa zeroed in on the sound and moved as fast as he could towards it. All sorts of thoughts were running through his head as he followed the sound of crying and sniffling. Fear began to knot in his stomach, if anything was wrong with Duo or the baby then Heero would have his hide for not looking after his partner. Trowa swallowed and rounded the corner. Up ahead the door to the lounge room stood open and the sounds of sniffling were coming from inside; along with another noise.

 

As Trowa approached so he slowed his haste and tried to figure out what he was hearing. It sounded like talking; and it wasn't a voice he recognized. Immediately Trowa was on the defensive and stepped into the room. His eyes darted around and his body froze.

 

He blinked; then blinked again.

 

He scratched his head as his brain scrambled to make sense of what his eyes were seeing. Duo and Quatre were both sitting on the couch, Duo was sobbing quietly, tears flowing from his eyes in an endless stream interrupted by the occasional sniffle. He was partially cuddled in Quatre's arms, the blonde obviously offering some comfort to the pregnant man as well as an endless supply of tissues, not to mention adding some of his own tears to the slowly forming river. In one hand Duo clutched a half eaten Crunchie bar, pausing in-between sniffles and sobs to take a bite of the confection. Trowa could also see an empty wrapper amongst the rapidly growing pile of tissues, as well as another, as yet unopened Crunchie bar sitting on the small coffee table.

 

***

 

Quatre had gone in search of a book to read and let his fingers wander over the many spines of the books sitting on the shelves of the mansion's library. There was pretty much every sort of book you could want. Romance to History, Drama to Horror, the classics rubbing shoulders with crime and mystery. Nothing though seemed to catch the blonde's eye. He turned around as he heard footsteps.

 

Duo walked softly into the room and smiled at Quatre. "Hey. Just come to return a book I was reading," he said to Quatre.

 

"I'm trying to find something too read," came the exasperated sigh.

 

"This one was a really good one but you have to concentrate hard on it to understand it properly, and before you ask, no, it isn't Dr. Seuss," the braided man said with a chuckle.

 

"Duo! I would never insult your intelligence like that." Quatre managed to look suitably affronted.

 

"You mightn't, but Wuffers certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity," the American grinned.

 

"What's the book?" Quatre diplomatically changed the subject.

 

"Weaveworld, it's by a pre colony author called Clive Barker."

 

"Any good?"

 

"Quite fascinating. A mixture of drama and mystery with a touch of horror and supernatural thrown in for good measure. Add a touch of romance, et violà - a damn good read."

 

"Umm... It might be a bit much for me but thanks anyway, Duo." Quatre decided that maybe he would be better off looking for his own book.

 

"Want to watch a movie with me, Q-ball. I'm kinda bored and it's more fun watching a movie with someone else." Large expressive violet eyes pleaded with the blonde and Duo knew he had his friend suckered when he spun his next line. "I'll bring the Crunchie bars," Duo wheedled.

 

"Oh, all right then," sighed Quatre. "Come on, let's go find something to watch, only no war movies!"

 

"I promise, no war movies," grinned Duo. "I'll go fetch the Crunchies and meet you in the lounge in a tic." With those words, Duo headed off up the stairs to his room and his hidden stash.

 

Quatre shook his head wondering how he'd managed to get himself conned into this. Maybe he should offer Duo a job with WEI in the negotiations department. He knew his own skills at persuasion were good, but Duo's were unbelievable. With an amused smile playing on his lips, Quatre went towards the lounge room to start flicking through the various movies.

 

***

 

Trowa glanced up and saw that the television was on and a movie playing but he didn't really focus on the screen, his eyes darting back to the pair on the couch.

 

"There, there, Duo. It's okay," soothed Quatre as he stroked the soft chestnut crown.

 

"Quatre?" Trowa's voice was soft but hesitant. The blonde's eyes turned towards his husband over the back of the couch. "What's wrong, Quatre? Is Duo all right?"

 

"He's fine," replied Quatre through his own tears.

 

"Then... What's upsetting him?" Trowa clearly was bewildered. He glanced around the room, nothing was amiss, only the tissues and the television droning away were the additions to the room. His eyes flicked back over the screen and caught the scene but he paid it no heed.

 

Quatre gave his husband a *look*. "If you must know, he's a little upset by the movie," sniffled Quatre and shifted. "Duo, I need to blow my nose for a second."

 

Duo shifted slightly and Quatre blew his nose, Duo immediately returning to his former position snuggled against the blonde as soon as Quatre had finished.

 

"The movie?" Trowa took a good hard look at the screen and registered what was showing. He frowned, glanced from Duo to Quatre and back to the television again. "He's upset by the movie?"

 

"Are you deaf, Trowa?"

 

"But, Quatre?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"It's not a sad movie."

 

"Yes it is, Trowa," snapped Duo. "You'd know that if you ever sat and watched it."

 

"I have watched it, Duo. It's a comedy."

 

"It's not, if you sit and truly watch it then you will see all the underlying messages, the despair, the poverty, the cruelty..." Duo broke into a fresh bout of sniffling and took the tissues that Quatre offered. "Thanks, Quat, at least you understand."

 

"But..."

 

"Quatre glared. "It is a sad movie if you do as Duo said, even I can see that now," huffed the blonde, annoyed at his husband for being so insensitive.

 

"But..."

 

"I would have thought you of all people would show a little compassion," sniffed Quatre.

 

"But, Quatre. It's 'Monty Python's Life of Brian', it's a comedy, a movie made to spoof all the early pre colony bible stories..."

 

"Would you have liked to have been stoned, Trowa? Or fought in the Coliseum?"

 

"It's only a satire, Quatre. Supposed to be poking fun at things..."

 

"Told you he wouldn't understand," mumbled Duo.

 

Trowa rolled his eyes and then flinched as the pain of his bruised cheek bone and eye socket let him know of their presence. Quatre saw the flinch and couldn't resist the dig.

 

"Retribution, Trowa, that's what that was."

 

"What the hell are you on about?" Trowa asked. He felt as if he was being backed into a corner here and had no idea how he'd gotten there.

 

"Maybe if you were to really concentrate, you know, sit down and watch some of these early pre-colony movies you might discover that there is more to them than you realize," stated Quatre sagely.

 

"I suppose next time you're going to be telling me that the puppets they used in that ancient show 'Thunderbirds' were the prototypes for our Gundams!"

 

"I'd say the old cartoon, 'Transformers' would have been closer than the 'Thunderbirds', Tro," snickered Duo, a touch of his old self returning.

 

"Oh, give me strength! Next thing you'll be telling me that the real reason they banned 'Noddy' from television all those decades ago was because Noddy and Big Ears used to share the same bed, as in sleep together."

 

Silence descended over the room.

 

"What? They didn't... did they?" Trowa raised an eyebrow.

 

Quatre and Duo both nodded in unison.

 

"Well, fuck! I always thought it was because of the Gollywogs."

 

"You used to watch Noddy, Trowa?" Duo winked at Quatre.

 

"Umm... Well, not exactly, per say..."

 

"Now come on, Tro. You can tell us. I won't say anything about your fixation with pointy hats, ringing bells and big ears," teased Duo.

 

"How did you know about big... Errr...."

 

"You have a fetish for big ears?" cried Quatre, his eyes as wide as saucers.

 

Trowa quickly sniffed the air. "Shit! Gotta run, I left the dinner cooking and it smells like it's burning. Duo, no more Crunchies; Quatre, if you're just going to bawl at that movie, and not laugh, then I'd suggest changing it. Put 'Finding Nemo' or something on," and with those words Trowa disappeared out of the lounge room to rescue his cooking.

 

"Want to watch 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre', Quat?"

 

"Why not? I could do with a good laugh after all that."

 

~ * ~

 

tbc.....