Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 92 ( Chapter 92 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for notes, disclaimers etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
By ShenLong.
 
 
 
Chapter 92
 
The three days leading upto the wedding were a flurry of activity for everyone concerned. Heero made sure to do as much as he possibly could to lighten the load on Duo. He didn't want his lover stressing himself out unduly and tried to give Duo the jobs that didn't entail much on the physical side. Even though Duo wouldn't admit it, he was grateful to Heero for that as he found himself tiring easily. The added weight of the baby made his muscles ache terribly and he tried to work from a sitting position as much as possible. The massages Heero gave him were soothing and relaxing, Duo becoming putty in his lover's hands. The exercises that Nurse Brown had recommended he try also helped.
 
Hilde and Quatre pitched in as much as they could, following any requests Heero or Duo asked of them. Trowa and Quatre had gone through the tunes they'd listed so that Heero and Duo could listen to them and see if they were in agreeance with what the other couple had selected. Duo found that what Quatre had said was true; he did recognize some of the tunes when they were played, although he still couldn't name them if asked. Knowing that Trowa and Quatre wouldn't be able to play for the entire duration of the wedding, alternate music sources were looked at and it was finally decided to utilize the large stereo system Heero and Duo owned. A wide selection of tapes and discs were chosen and Hilde offered to keep an eye on the 'DJ' side of things for them. It was also agreed that Trowa and Quatre would record some of the tunes so that they could be played as well and leave the pair free to join in with the festivities such as dancing.
 
Duo flatly refused to do the bridal waltz. When questioned he reluctantly admitted that he'd never learned how to waltz.
 
Quatre kindly pointed out that it didn't have to be a waltz, just a slow dance together would suffice.
 
Duo was a lot happier after that.
 
The storm hadn't done as much damage to the estate as Duo had feared; some branches had been blown down and leaves littered the lawns but the roses had survived the storm with a little battering. Quatre assured Duo that there was nothing there that the groundsmen wouldn't be able to put right in a day. Duo was doubtful but could only trust that the blonde was right.
 
Trowa and Siska had disappeared into the kitchen on the Thursday and banned anyone from entering. Duo had tried once and then rapidly retreated when faced with an irate Trowa clutching a rather impressive cook's knife. Quatre had been persuaded to have a go at entering and also beat a hasty retreat, he'd come face to face with the blender. Heero tried under the pretense of getting Duo a sandwich and had been lucky to escape with all his limbs intact. Death by electric mixer was not on his agenda.
 
Hilde refused to go anywhere near the kitchen.
 
Howard disappeared muttering something about take out.
 
Nurse Brown claimed she was starting a diet and really didn't want anything from the kitchen anyway.
 
Duo resigned himself to having to use other methods to try and discover what was on the buffet menu.
 
***
 
Peering out the window, Duo and Hilde watched as the delivery truck pulled up and two men got out, opening the back doors wide. Quatre peeked over their shoulders as food stuffs were unloaded and taken into the kitchen.
 
"What are you doing?"
 
Three bodies jumped in unison.
 
"Fuck, Heero! Gimme a heart attack, why don't you!" Duo all but yelled as Heero appeared behind the three and tried to look over their shoulders to see what had them all so intrigued.
 
"What's going on?" Heero asked again, ignoring his lover's outburst.
 
"Delivery truck," stated Quatre wisely.
 
"I can see that." Heero rolled his eyes.
 
"It's delivering the food stuffs for the reception," informed Hilde. "We're trying to see if we can figure out what stuff's been ordered so we know what to expect on the buffet."
 
"Aa." Heero leaned closer to the window.
 
"Knew I should have brought the binoculars," said Quatre. "What the hell is that?"
 
"If I didn't know any better I'd say it was ice cream," said Hilde as she squinted her eyes.
 
"Crunchie ice cream to be exact," growled Duo.
 
"Uh oh, better watch him, Heero. You know what he's... Shit!" Quatre's words were cut off as Duo squirmed underneath and tried to escape.
 
"Oh no you don't, Duo," said Heero as he grabbed his lover.
 
"But, Heero..." Duo whined. "It's Crunchie ice cream."
 
"I know that. Look, I'll get you some from the freezer."
 
"Good luck, nice knowing you," grinned Quatre.
 
"Huh?" Heero turned to the blonde.
 
"Crunchie ice cream... freezer... kitchen? Ring any bells, Heero?"
 
"Oh fuck," groaned Heero.
 
"Oh fuck. Oh fuck," chirped Barney.
 
"Do you think by any chance Trowa has roast Weiro on the menu?" asked Heero as he glared at the bird.
 
"Not that I know of, but there might be roast Heero if Nurse Brown hears the bird swearing like that," snickered Hilde.
 
"Pretty boy. Kiss me quick!" chirped Barney and cocked his head.
 
"You'll keep," Heero stated and gave the bird a pointed 'look'.
 
"Only in the 'fridge," squawked Barney.
 
"Great! Not only does the damn thing pick up words and phrases really quickly, it has to have a sense of humor as well," moaned Heero.
 
"I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's son; I'm only plucking pheasants, till the pheasant plucker comes," sang Duo. "Be'cha can't learn that one, Barney."
 
Barney cocked his head and listened intently.
 
"I tried saying that one once, only I was a little inebriated at the time and it didn't come out quite like that," admitted Quatre.
 
"I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant fluckers son; I'm only flucking pleasants, till the present fucker comes... Shit! I can't even say it and I'm sober!" giggled Hilde.
 
Duo dissolved into snorts of laughter.
 
"Pleasant fucker, pleasant fucker," chirped Barney.
 
"I'll be plucking Weiros in a minute," scowled Heero.
 
Barney shook his feathers. "Fucking weather."
 
***
 
"That looks simply stunning, Trowa," remarked Siska as she looked at the creation the young man had just about finished.
 
"Thank you," replied Trowa and blushed a little. "It's only got to have the final decoration on it and then it's complete. Do you think that Heero and Duo will like it?"
 
"I'm certain they will," replied Siska as she studied the two tier wedding cake that Trowa was working on.
 
"Well, that's about all I can do on it for now. The final decoration can't go on until the morning of the wedding otherwise it will go soft," said Trowa as he stood back to admire his handy work. He really was pleased with the way the cake had turned out. "I'll pop it into the 'fridge for now." Trowa picked up the cake and took it through to one of the three extra 'fridges that had been brought in to accommodate the extra food.
 
Siska returned to chopping up vegetables and the hundred and one other little jobs that still awaited her if this buffet was to be ready in time for the wedding on the 'morrow.
 
Trowa returned a few moments later and consulted the list of things still to be done. Carefully he marked off those that had been completed. So far so good, most of the hors d'oeuvres had been prepared, leaving only minimal work left to finalize on them. The salad vegetables had all been chopped, diced or julienned and only needed mixing together. The meats were all prepared, the chicken wings marinating nicely and all that was left to do was cook up the dishes. Siska had nearly finished chopping the many vegetables that would be needed to go into those hot dishes and once they were complete so they could commence with cooking. The dishes could then be frozen or refrigerated until tomorrow. The cold meat and salad platters needed setting up but again, they couldn't be done until the morning otherwise the meats would dry out.
 
Consulting the desserts list, Trowa decided to get started on those. He scanned the list determining what he could make ahead and what would need leaving until the last minute. The brandysnap baskets he could make now, likewise the cheesecakes and the choux pastry for the eclairs. Washing his hands, Trowa began to assemble the ingredients he would need and started on the desserts.
 
***
 
"Anything else I can help with, Duo?" asked Hilde as she wandered into the dining room and found Duo sitting at the table with a box, colored ribbon, some tulle and several packets of what looked like sweets.
 
"Yeah, if you like," replied Duo as he studied the items in front of him.
 
Hilde took a seat next to the American. "What is it you're trying to do?" she asked as she studied the things more closely.
 
"Well, I thought it would be nice to have a little memento for all the guests to take home from the wedding. You know how at a lot of weddings they have those little packets of sugared almonds or packets of matches with the bride and grooms name and date of wedding on them?"
 
Hilde nodded.
 
"I wanted something similar but unique." Duo reached into the box and took something out. "I spotted these ages ago in a shop and had Heero look into getting some made with our names and the date on them. What do you think?" Duo passed over the small object.
 
Carefully Hilde took it and cradled it in her hands. It was a small ceramic swan, but instead of being solid or whole, the back had been hollowed out. The piece had been covered in a shiny, black glaze with the words 'Duo and Heero. 15th October AC 199.' printed in gold on the wings. "Duo, it's beautiful," whispered Hilde. "I take it you're going to fill the hollow bit with those sweets?"
 
"That's the general idea, only I don't know whether to put the sweets into the tulle, wrap them and secure with the ribbon then put them in the back or to just put the sweets in the back and the ribbon around the swan's neck or to simply put the sweets in and wrap the whole thing in the tulle. What do you suggest?"
 
"How about we do up one of each and see which looks the best?" suggested Hilde with a smile.
 
"Good idea," replied Duo and set to work.
 
Half an hour later, three swans sat on the table. "Well, which is it going to be?" asked Hilde as she studied the three swans.
 
"I think I like the one with the sweets in the tulle, tied with the ribbon and then put into the back of the swan," replied Duo as he picked up the item for a closer inspection.
 
"I do too, Duo," smiled Hilde. "Let's see if we can get them all finished before dinner."
 
***
 
Six weary bodies occupied the lounge room that Friday evening. On the couch, Duo lay half sprawled, his head resting in Heero's lap, legs draped over Hilde's thighs. Heero gently stroked his fingers through Duo's bangs whilst Hilde couldn't help but caress the bump of the baby, delighted when the little one responded with kicks.
 
Quatre was curled up in Trowa's lap, head tucked under his husband's chin, eyes half closed. Trowa's hand wandered up and down his partner's back whilst he dozed lightly. Howard occupied another chair, legs stuck out in front, crossed at the ankle as he drifted in and out of sleep. Gradually his head would fall back and he'd begin to snore, only to jerk awake and resettle himself, head drooping again until he began to snore once more and so the cycle continued.
 
"Can anybody think of anything we may have missed?" said Duo in a sleepy voice.
 
"Not that I know of," came Quatre's equally sleepy reply.
 
"Food all ready, Tro?"
 
"Mmmm."
 
"I'll take that as a yes," snickered Duo.
 
"The grounds have been tidied up again and the marquee is set ready to go. All the tables and chairs along with the cloths and decorations are set up. There's only the crockery, cutlery and glassware to be put out," mumbled Howard from his half asleep place in the comfortable armchair. He'd spent the afternoon with a couple of the groundsmen, Harim and Raphel setting all that up. "Should have enough time to finish it off in the morning."
 
The wedding wasn't scheduled to start until two in the afternoon which would leave enough time in the morning for all the last minute jobs to be taken care of. Marina, Raphel's wife was going to help Trowa and Siska with the last of the buffet and then set it all up with Siska as well as assist to serve. Raphel and Harim had been persuaded to act as the bar keep for the reception and a small area had been set aside in the large marquee for the bar. Quatre had insisted that he be allowed to pay for all the drinks as part of his and Trowa's wedding gift to the couple.
 
Duo and Heero had politely refused; but after much insistence, explanations as to why and then whining, Quatre had finally gotten his way.
 
"I think I will be heading to bed then," Duo said with a yawn. "Sunshine and I are all tuckered out. I'm going to take a long soak in the tub and then sleep like the dead."
 
"I'll join you," said Heero and began to shift off the couch to give Duo a hand to rise.
 
"Bed sounds like a good idea," muttered Quatre and gave Trowa a dig in the ribs. "You coming to bed, Trowa?"
 
"Mmmm."
 
Hilde laughed. "I'm off too. Looks like you might have to carry him, Quatre."
 
Quatre frowned at his lover. "Trowa! Come on, it's bed time."
 
"Just got to finish wrapping the asparagus," mumbled Trowa.
 
"Ohh, we having asparagus are we, Tro?" asked Duo with a grin.
 
"Uh? What?" Trowa came awake with a jerk.
 
"Nothing, Tro," snickered Duo and then turned to Howard. "Hey, Howie! Bed time, old man," he said and nudged Howard with his foot.
 
A snore was all he got by way of reply.
 
"You can carry him up, Heero," Duo stated with a broad grin and wink to his lover.
 
"And permanently damage myself? No thanks. He can walk like the rest of us. Oi, Howard!" Heero bellowed in the captain's ear.
 
Howard woke with a start, arms flailing and his sunglasses nearly falling off his face. "Geeze! What the hell are you trying to do, Heero?! Give me a heart attack? Bloody hell!"
 
"Bed, now," stated Heero. "We don't want you falling asleep during the ceremony tomorrow."
 
Howard dragged himself up muttering under his breath about impatient Japanese boys and cocky Americans.
 
"Love you too, Howard. See you in the morning," sniggered Duo and headed out the lounge and up the stairs to bed.
 
***
 
Nurse Brown arrived home from her evening shift at the hospital to find the house in peace and quiet, all the occupants having retired to bed. She peered into the kitchen and seeing it was safe enough to enter, she made herself a cup of tea and carried it through to the lounge. She opened Barney's cage door and the Weiro hopped out onto her finger and then up to her shoulder, perching happily there.
 
Sitting in the lounge chair, the nurse sipped on her tea, allowing herself to unwind and relax a bit before heading off to bed. The mansion had been abuzz with activity all day and she'd been glad to escape to work. She was happy to note though that Duo was being sensible and not overdoing things. She let her eyes slip half closed, enjoying the tea's warmth. "How are you, Barney?"
 
"Very well, very well," chirped the bird. "Give us a kiss!"
 
Nurse Brown turned her head a little and the Weiro nibbled at her bottom lip. "You're a cheeky boy," she said to the bird.
 
"Cheeky boy, cheeky boy," returned the bird.
 
"Are you behaving yourself, Barney?"
 
"Pretty boy," Barney chirruped.
 
Nurse Brown drained her mug and began to stand up. "Come on, Barney. Time for you to go back in your cage to sleep." Nurse Brown lifted her hand for the bird to hop onto.
 
"Fuck off, fuck off," chirped the bird.
 
Nurse Brown dropped her empty mug in shock.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.........