Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 93 ( Chapter 93 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

My apologies for the length of time taken to get this chapter out to you all. The recent, sudden loss of my nephew under suspicious circumstances is the reason for the delay. As you can appreciate, grieving for a young life cut so tragically short left me with no inclination to write. It's time to move on though and now I feel I can return to my fics and give them the attention they and my readers have come to expect. I thank you all for your patience during this sad time. - Shen. ^_^
 
 
Please see previous chapters for notes, disclaimer etc.
 
Warning: The author strongly recommends having a box of tissues handy when reading this chapter as well as a reliable brand of toothpaste and tooth brush. I take no responsibility for any cavities or tear stains that may occur whilst reading this chapter. - Shen ^_^
 
"Chimaera"
 
By ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 93
 
"Fuck off, fuck off," repeated Barney and cocked his head at his mistress.
 
"Barney!" exclaimed Nurse Brown and bent to pick up the mug she'd dropped. "Where on earth did you learn that sort of language?"
 
"Pretty boy. Give us a kiss."
 
"Never mind you naughty bird. I think I know. Just wait until I see that young man..." muttered Nurse Brown. "Come on, in your cage now. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow."
 
Barney hopped on his mistress' finger and allowed himself to be put back in his cage. "Nighty, night," he chirped.
 
"Good night, Barney." The nurse slipped the cover over the cage and took her empty mug through to the kitchen. Turning off the lights she made her way to her room; tomorrow she would have to have a word with a certain pregnant man.
 
***
 
Duo shifted slightly in the bed as he woke from slumber, his eyes blinking sleepily. Heero was pressed against his side, hand resting lightly on his belly. Duo looked at his still slumbering partner and smiled. Today was their wedding day and Duo couldn't be happier. Today they would speak their vows, commit themselves to each other for the rest of their lives. Whilst it was a big step for both of them, Duo had no regrets at all. He felt surrounded by love, safe in his partner's arms, needed and protected. To Duo, Heero's proposal of marriage went deeper than the love they shared. It was something he didn't quite understand and didn't want it explained. It was simply there, tying them together in ways he never knew possible. He didn't question it, simply accepted it and embraced it. Now he understood what people meant when they talked about soul mates.
 
He'd been one of the lucky ones.
 
He'd found his.
 
"Happy thoughts?"
 
The voice of his partner broke into Duo's mental wanderings and he turned to smile at Heero. "Of course," he replied.
 
"I love you, Duo Maxwell," said Heero softly as he caressed Duo's belly. The baby gave a small kick. "And you too, Sunshine," Heero chuckled. Feathering kisses along Duo's throat, Heero spoke again. "Ready for today?"
 
"Yeah. I can't believe it's really here. I mean, after all these weeks, the planning, organizing and finally the day has arrived."
 
"You'd better believe it, Duo. This afternoon we are going to be married; today you will become my life partner and I, yours. I can't tell you how much that means to me, Duo. You've made me the happiest man alive." A tear glistened in the corner of Heero's eye as he spoke the words from his heart.
 
"And you've made me equally as happy, Heero. Despite everything that's happened to me in my life, the bad shit, the war, the losing of so many of my friends... I never thought I would see happiness like this. I know it's not always going to be a bed of roses, we will have our fights and arguments but... I know you will always be there for me, Heero; as I will always be there for you." Duo began to sniffle a little.
 
"Now don't go crying on me," Heero chastised gently. "You start that and I'm likely to join you."
 
Duo gave a watery laugh. "I suppose we should get up and get our asses into gear, there's a shitload of stuff to be done before the ceremony."
 
"A couple more minutes isn't going to hurt, Duo. I want to lie here for a few moments longer and have you all to myself. It's going to be a hectic enough day as it is."
 
Sighing softly, Duo snuggled closer to his lover. A few more minutes wouldn't hurt at all.
 
***
 
When Heero and Duo finally emerged from their room to go down to the kitchen for breakfast they found the mansion a hive of activity. Everyone seemed to be doing something. Trowa was about to lock down the kitchen and along with Siska and Marina, finish off the preparations for the buffet. When Duo protested about not having eaten yet, he was told to get his ass to the dining room where breakfast had been set up already.
 
Wandering into the dining room the pair found the rest of the residents already there and a spread of food on the table. They sat down and joined in, the conversation flying back and forth at breakneck speed as everyone discussed what still remained to be done and who was going to do what.
 
Howard swallowed his piece of toast and then announced he was off to help finish setting up the marquee and get the bar ready. Hilde told him she would be along shortly to help. Quatre was heading for the gazebo to assist and oversee the setting up of the area for the ceremony, then he would return to help finish off things in the marquee. Trowa was naturally ensconced in the kitchen, the remaining prep for the buffet taking up his morning. Once he was done there he would shower and change then assist Duo in his preparations.
 
Wufei and Sally would arrive later, about an hour or so before the ceremony so as Wufei could assist Heero. Une and Doctor G would arrive shortly before the ceremony was due to start. The security warning at the main gate alerted Heero to the arrival of the flowers and he quickly swallowed his breakfast before going to collect them. Hilde and Howard disappeared to start on the marquee, Quatre also departed, muttering about chairs, seating arrangements and tuning his violin. Only Duo and Nurse Brown remained in the dining room.
 
"How are you feeling this morning, Duo?" the nurse asked now that the ruckus had died down and she could speak without shouting.
 
Duo eyed the nurse and gave a smile. "Nervous, I guess."
 
"That's to be expected. Make sure you take it easy though, no stressing yourself out and doing too much this morning otherwise you won't be fit for this afternoon."
 
"Not much chance of that," replied Duo. "Everyone seems to have everything under control so there isn't really much for me to do."
 
"Oh, I don't know about that. I'm certain they would want you to oversee what they're doing, just to make sure they have everything the way you want it."
 
"I guess so."
 
"Duo?"
 
"Yes?" Duo turned to look at the nurse.
 
"Last night, when I got back here from work I was sitting in the lounge having a cup of tea and talking to Barney before I went to bed..."
 
Duo paled a little, he had an idea of what was coming next and he wasn't sure he really wanted to hear it.
 
"I went to put Barney back in his cage and he came out with some... shall we say, rather colorful words."
 
"Oh, shit."
 
"Those weren't exactly the words Barney spoke but it was something along those lines."
 
"Ummm..."
 
"You wouldn't happen to know where he learnt them would you?"
 
"Well... He's a really intelligent bird and sometimes we watch pretty rough action movies, I guess he's picked something up from listening in to one of those." It wasn't a lie, Heero and he often watched action movies and language was a part of such movies. It was possible that Barney could have picked the words up from the television, although Duo knew that wasn't strictly the case here. He made a mental note to try and curb his language in future when the bird was around. He'd also need to let Heero know.
 
"Ah, I see." Nurse Brown didn't look convinced. "I suppose it is possible. In future though if you're going to be watching those sorts of movies, would you mind removing Barney from the room? I have the local vicar call around from time to time and you can imagine how embarrassing it would be if he was to say something like that whilst the vicar is there."
 
"No problem, I'll make sure to put him out the room in future," Duo agreed, relieved that he'd been spared the nurse's wrath. Although he knew by the nurse's eyes that she really didn't believe his story. Duo's eyes fell on the box on the china cabinet, remembering that the ceramic swans were inside. "Errr... I'd better shift my butt, Hilde forgot the mementos so I'd better get them outside as they're part of the table decorations." Grateful for an excuse to escape, Duo hastily stood up and grabbed the box, beating a quick retreat.
 
Nurse Brown watched him go and smiled to herself as she picked up another piece of toast. She didn't think there would be too many more problems with Barney. At least she hoped not.
 
***
 
Duo was amazed at the transformation of the grounds. The marquee stood out crisp and fresh against the backdrop of green lawn and flower beds. The pathway leading to the gazebo was swept clean and Duo could glimpse the seats arranged right in front of it. He caught a quick flash out the corner of his eye and realized that Heero was down there with a large box. Duo quickly went inside the marquee with the box of ceramic swans, intending to leave them there for the moment and head down to the gazebo to see what Heero was doing. Inside the marquee Duo stopped dead in his tracks and gazed about. The place looked wonderful. The bar stood off to the side, Howard busily setting up some glasses on the table and sorting through bottles of wine, passing them to Raphel to put into the small cooler. Along the other side a large table had been set up for the buffet, cream table cloths adorned the table and on one end a large bain-marie stood, the water inside heating slowly in readiness for the hot foods to be placed inside.
 
Another table just across from the bar hosted the stereo system and Duo noted the speakers set around the marquee. A stack of CD's were present beside the machine but Duo didn't bother to rifle through them, he trusted Hilde to make sure that the music would be 'appropriate' as Heero had put it. The bridal table, Duo guessed that's what you called it even if it was two men getting married, sat at the top of the marquee, a cream colored table cloth with a royal blue center cloth adorned the table. Hilde was busy setting up the cutlery and gave Duo a smile.
 
Duo walked over, box still in hand and stopped to eye off the amount of silverware that seemed to be there. "Surely we're not going to need all that?"
 
"Yes, you are," replied Hilde.
 
"But how the hell do you know which one's for what?" There seemed to be too many forks and knives there for Duo's comfort. "I'm gonna get lost with that lot."
 
"It's easy, Duo. You just work from the outside in," returned Hilde. "This here is your soup spoon, then there's the knife and fork for your entree, next are the ones for your main meal and finally the spoon and fork at the top for your dessert."
 
"I thought this was a buffet? You know, you just get up and help yourself, not a four course extravaganza."
 
"It is a buffet, Duo but there are designated courses for it too. Trowa thought it would be fitting for you both."
 
Duo had his doubts but kept them to himself. Knowing him he'd probably use his dessert spoon for his soup or something equally as ridiculous. He sighed. "Here, you forgot the mementos," he said as he handed over the box.
 
"Thanks," replied Hilde and took the box. "Is it how you wanted it set up, Duo?" the woman asked as she looked around the marquee. She was a little concerned at Duo's seemingly lack of enthusiasm, after all, even though Duo had explained how he wanted things set up he really hadn't had the chance to supervise much of it due to the fact that there had been other people present to erect the marquee and he couldn't risk being seen by them.
 
Duo gazed around, the other three tables for the guests had been set up in a semi circle facing the bridal table. The tables were set for two people on two and three on the middle one. They'd decided to put Hilde and Quatre on one table, Howard and G on another then Une, Sally and Nurse Brown on the third one. Trowa and Wufei would be sitting at the bridal table with Heero and Duo. "It's perfect," said Duo softly.
 
"If there's anything you're not happy with or want changing just say so. It's your wedding day and we all want you to remember it as something special."
 
Duo was touched by the sentiment and found it hard to hold onto his composure. "It's perfect, Hilde," he repeated. "I'll be back in a minute, I need to pop down to the gazebo and see Heero for a moment."
 
"Okay," Hilde replied with a smile. She could see the struggle Duo was having with his emotions and didn't want to embarrass the young man. She turned back to the cutlery.
 
Duo exited the marquee as quickly as he could and headed for the gazebo. As he approached he felt his eyes watering again. It looked stunning for want of a better word. Cream and royal blue ribbons had been strung between the outside support posts, just below the gazebo roof. Along the balustrade were more ribbons and at the base of the small steps leading up and into the gazebo itself stood two standard rose bushes, one on either side of the steps. The tops of the bushes were smothered in cream colored roses and the scent from them was sweet and fresh. At the top of the gazebo and just inside stood the small table, royal blue cloth covering it and another pair of standard roses flanking the table.
 
"Like it?" Heero came up behind Duo and put his arms around his partner's waist.
 
"Oh, Heero. It's beautiful," Duo managed to get out, his voice breaking a little.
 
"I hope you didn't mind me organizing the little extras," said Heero softly.
 
Duo turned around in Heero's arms and kissed his lover. "Thank you. I think it's just lovely."
 
"Come on you two, you haven't got time for that now. The ceremony is due to start in three hours so I think you'd better go and start to get ready." Quatre's voice broke into their moment.
 
"Shit! Quat's right, Heero. I'd better get a move on, especially as I want to wash my hair as well," said Duo as he pulled away from his partner.
 
Heero chuckled. "Come on then. I'll walk back with you, I need to grab my stuff anyway and bring the flowers to the house."
 
They had decided that they would prepare and dress in separate rooms, in keeping with a little of tradition. Heero would wait with Wufei for Trowa and Duo at the foot of the stairs and then proceed out to the patio where Trowa would give Quatre the signal that they were ready. Once all the guests were seated and Quatre began to play they would walk together down the lawned path, Wufei and Trowa behind them to the gazebo and Howard.
 
Heero collected his things and gave Duo a warm hug and deep kiss. "I'll see you soon, little mother."
 
"You can count on it, daddy."
 
With another kiss the pair parted and Duo headed for the shower to begin to get ready.
 
***
 
"Trowa! What the hell are you still doing in here? Get your ass up those stairs now and help Duo to get ready!" Quatre yelled to his husband who was still in the kitchen. Quatre had returned the mansion and gone to their room, expecting Trowa to be there getting ready. When he hadn't found a trace of his husband and seen the suit still on the hangar, he'd gone in search of the Latin. Knowing there was only one other place the tall man was bound to be, Quatre braved the thought of being sliced and diced and entered the kitchen. Sure enough his partner was still there, up to his eyeballs in food preparation.
 
Trowa looked up and narrowed his eyes at the invasion of his sacred place.
 
"Did you hear me, Trowa? I said get your ass up those stairs now and help Duo to get ready," Quatre repeated. "You only have an hour an a half before the ceremony is due to start and Duo needs you!" Quatre folded his arms across his chest and stared defiantly at his husband.
 
"But..." Trowa looked at the food items still to prepare.
 
"Go," said Siska. "Marina and I can finish up here, there's not much left to do."
 
"Are you sure?"
 
"Positive. All the main work is done, it's really only a case of setting up the platters and taking the food out now. We can't start taking anything out until the ceremony is over anyway so go on, shoo."
 
Reluctantly, Trowa left the kitchen and followed Quatre up the stairs.
 
"I don't know. What the hell were you thinking, Trowa? You know Duo needs you right now and here you are, still playing around in the kitchen, wrapping those sticks of asparagus in that orangy stuff..."
 
"Salmon."
 
"What?"
 
"I was wrapping the asparagus in smoked salmon," Trowa said.
 
"Whatever; the fact remains that you shouldn't be in there still. You're Duo's best man and that's an honor in itself, he needs you to help him with his hair and getting dressed, not to mention getting yourself ready as well. Poor guy, he must think you've deserted him..."
 
Trowa sighed and let his husband continue to rant.
 
***
 
The guests were all seated, Howard was standing just inside the gazebo with the ceremony printed out onto cream colored paper and held in his hands. He also had a copy of Heero's and Duo's vows there for the couple. He glanced at his watch and then up the path again. He caught Quatre's eye and the blonde smiled. Quatre was waiting, violin at the ready. Now all he needed was for Trowa's signal to tell him that the couple were ready to make their entrance.
 
"Do I look all right, Trowa?" Duo asked nervously as he peered at himself in the mirror.
 
"Duo, you look stunning," replied Trowa softly as he came up behind the pregnant man.
 
Despite his obviously pregnant state, the cut of the charcoal suit suited Duo perfectly. The jacket hung on his shoulders, dipping in slightly at the waist but not restricting his belly. The rich blue of the shirt complimented his eyes and made his skin glow. The black tie held a silvery tie pin that glittered when Duo moved. Heero had a matching one. The tie pins had been a wedding present to them from Howard. The man had had them specially made from Gundanium, the metal having come from the spare parts they'd carried for Deathscythe during the war. Both Duo and Heero had been touched deeply by the gift.
 
Duo's hair had been washed and brushed until it shone. Trowa had then braided it into a French braid for the man, Duo wanting something a little different to how he usually wore his hair but didn't want it loose to cause any problems. Trowa had intertwined a few of the cream rose buds into the very tail of the braid, enough to add to the picture but not to take away from Duo's masculinity. Tucking the button hole into place, Trowa stepped back. "Are you ready?"
 
Taking one last look at his reflection, Duo turned. "As ready as I'm ever going to be."
 
"Then let's go. Heero's waiting for you."
 
***
 
Standing at the base of the staircase, Heero was trying to stop his hands from shaking. Wufei gave him a warm smile and patted his shoulder. "Exit is that way, Yuy," said Wufei as he nodded to the left. "Life sentence is this way." Wufei inclined his head to the right and the gardens where the guests were waiting.
 
Heero scowled and then his eyes lit up as he spotted Duo coming down the staircase with Trowa. His breath caught as he watched the ascent. Duo looked simply lovely in his suit, the colors blending together perfectly and the fall of the cloth enhanced Duo's natural grace and agility. Moisture gathered at the corners of Heero's eyes and he hastily blinked it back. If he were to shed a tear now then ultimately Duo would also end up in tears and he didn't want that; not yet anyway.
 
Duo's eyes were firmly fixed on Heero as he stepped down and he smiled. Heero's outfit was exactly the same as his own and yet Heero managed to give it an air of individuality. Duo had never seen a more beautiful sight than he was seeing right now. Heero's eyes met his own and Duo could see the love registered in those cobalt depths. He took Heero's offered hand as he reached the bottom of the stairs and gazed adoringly into Heero's eyes. "Love you," he murmured softly.
 
"Love you too, Duo."
 
"Okay you two, it's time," said Wufei and nodded in the direction of the gazebo.
 
Taking up their positions, Trowa sent the signal to Quatre and the blonde raised the violin. Running the bow across the strings he began to play.
 
Walking side by side, holding each other's hand, Heero and Duo approached the gathered guests and Howard. Smiles radiated from all around them and Duo thought he was going to burst with happiness. They proceeded towards the gazebo and up the steps, Trowa and Wufei moving to stand at either side of their designated 'groom'. With the arrival of the wedding party, Quatre brought his playing to a halt and lowered the violin. As Howard stepped forward so Heero quirked an eyebrow and Duo snickered softly. Howard was wearing his usual sunglasses, a pair of black slacks, cream shirt and black jacket; but that wasn't what caused the amusement.
 
Howard was also wearing a tie...
 
An Hawaiian print tie to be exact.
 
Heero rolled his eyes.
 
"Something wrong, Heero?" Howard whispered innocently.
 
"No, nothing's wrong," muttered Heero.
 
"Nice tie," Duo chuckled.
 
"Thanks." Howard wiggled his eyebrows. "Couldn't turn up without my trademark now could I?"
 
Heero consoled himself with the thought that at least it wasn't the usual shirt.
 
"Are you ready? Shall we start?"
 
Both men nodded in reply and Howard raised the sheaf of papers he held and facing the crowd he began to read.
 
"For those of you that don't know me, my name is Howard, and I have the privilege of performing this ceremony today. I have known Duo for quite a number of years and during that time I've watched him grow from a young teenager in the war to the respectable young man he is today, a man I would be proud to call my son. Heero I haven't known for quite as long, but he has always struck me as a fine individual who has a strong set of values and integrity. On behalf of Duo and Heero, welcome and thank you for being here."
 
 
"They are thrilled that you are here today to share in their joy during this wonderful moment in their lives."
 
 
"By your presence, you celebrate with them the love they have discovered in each other and you support their decision to commit themselves to one another for the rest of their lives."
 
 
"The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves. If there is anything better than being loved, it is loving."
 
 
"This afternoon we are here to celebrate love. We come together to witness and proclaim the joining together of these two persons in marriage."
 
 
"God does not make a love that is wrong. This is the union of two individuals in heart, body, mind, and spirit, Therefore, marriage is not to be entered into lightly, but reverently, honestly, and deliberately. And it is into this union that Duo and Heero come now to be joined."
 
 
Howard paused for a moment, switched his attention to the couple before him and then continued.
 
 
"Duo and Heero, just as two very different threads woven in opposite directions can form a beautiful tapestry, so can your two lives merge together to form a very beautiful marriage. To make your marriage work will take love. Love should be the core of your marriage, love is the reason you are here. But it also will take trust - to know in your hearts you want the best for each other. It will take dedication - to stay open to one another; to learn and to grow together even when this is not always so easy to do. It will take faith - to always be willing to go forward to tomorrow, never really knowing what tomorrow will bring. And it will take commitment - to hold true to the journey you both now pledge to share together."
 
 
"Duo, you have chosen Heero to be your life partner. Will you love and respect him? Will you be honest with him always? Will you stand by him through whatever may come?"
 
 
Duo shifted nervously and then answered. "I will."
 
 
"Heero, you have chosen Duo to be your life partner. Will you love and respect him? Will you be honest with him always? Will you stand by him through what ever may come?"
 
 
Squeezing Duo's hand, Heero replied clearly and with confidence. "I will."
 
 
"And do you both promise to make the necessary adjustments in your personal lives in order that you may live in a harmonious relationship together?" Howard asked.
 
 
Staring intently at each other Heero and Duo spoke as one. "We do."
 
 
"Duo, please repeat after me: In the presence of God and our family and friends, I, Duo, choose you, Heero, to be my life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone. This is my solemn vow."
 
 
Taking a deep breath, Duo repeated the words, his eyes firmly fixed on Heero as he spoke. "In the presence of God and our family and friends, I, Duo, choose you, Heero, to be my life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone. This is my solemn vow."
 
 
Heero smiled warmly.
 
 
"Now Heero, please repeat after me: In the presence of God and our family and friends, I, Heero, choose you, Duo, to be my life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone. This is my solemn vow."
 
 
Heero cleared his throat and then spoke with confidence and love. "In the presence of God and our family and friends, I, Heero, choose you, Duo, to be my life partner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone. This is my solemn vow."
 
 
Duo could feel his eyes watering and couldn't help but hear a small sob to the side. He glanced across and saw Quatre smiling through a flood of tears.
 
 
"Ladies and gentlemen, Duo and Heero have written their own vows of marriage to each other and I will call upon Duo to speak his first." Howard handed Duo the copy of his vows.
 
 
Taking the offered paper, Duo scanned it quickly and passed the paper back. Composing himself he took both of Heero's hands in his and turned to face his partner, then he began to speak, his eyes fixed only on Heero. The rest of the world vanished from around him, leaving only himself, Heero and the love they shared.
 
 
"Heero; I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you because you have done more than any creed could have done to make me good, and more than any fate could have done to make me happy. You have done it without a touch, without a word, without a sign. You have done it by being yourself. I love you, Heero Yuy with all my heart and soul."
 
 
Gazing deeply into Heero's eyes, Duo saw the intensity of Heero's love burning in their depths and a tear broke free to slide along his cheek. Behind him he could hear Quatre sniffle.
 
 
"I will now call upon Heero to speak his vows of marriage to Duo." Howard passed the paper to Heero but Heero declined, he'd already memorized what he wanted to say. The words he spoke resonated through the gazebo, clear and concise, full of love and devotion.
 
Continuing to hold hands, Heero's eyes remained fixed on Duo's as he spoke.
 
"Before our friends and those so special to us here, on this wonderful day of gladness and good fortune, I am honored to take you, Duo as my husband, in friendship and in love, in strength and weakness, to share the good times and misfortune, in achievement and failure, to celebrate life with you forevermore; for to me you are my life, my heart, my soul and the very reason for my existence. I love you, Duo Maxwell, with all my heart and soul."
 
 
Heero felt the tears of happiness begin to fall from his own eyes but he didn't care to stop them. For once he wasn't going to hide his emotions, he was going to let them run free and show everyone the true depth of his love for the braided American.
 
 
Duo's own tears were flowing freely by this stage, Quatre had completely dissolved into a weeping mess and judging by the sounds both men could hear coming from their audience it seemed they were not alone in their sharing of water. Even Wufei's eyes were looking a little moist.
 
 
Howard cleared his throat and took a deep breath. "It is now that we come to the exchanging of the rings part of the ceremony."
 
 
Howard looked pointedly at Trowa and Wufei.
 
 
"May I have the rings please?" he asked.
 
 
Trowa reached inside his jacket pocket and fiddled around for a few moments. Wufei dipped into his pocket and produced a small, black velvet box which he opened and passed to Howard. "Thank you, Wufei. Trowa?"
 
 
"Shit. I know it's in here somewhere," muttered Trowa as he frantically began to search his pockets.
 
 
Off to the side, Quatre rolled his eyes.
 
 
"You have got it, haven't you, Trowa?" Duo asked nervously.
 
 
Trowa was beginning to turn a few shades of red as he continued to search his pockets.
 
 
"Try your shirt pocket," hissed Quatre.
 
 
Trowa's hand dipped inside to locate his shirt pocket and relief flooded his face as he drew out a matching black, velvet box and handed it over to Howard. "Sorry," he muttered.
 
 
"Not half as sorry as you would be had you not found it," whispered Quatre.
 
 
Howard took both rings and with a smile he looked at Duo and then handed him a ring. "Duo, as you slide this ring onto Heero's finger I want you to repeat these words."
 
 
Duo took the ring and placed it at the tip of the ring finger on Heero's left hand. As he began to slide the ring down, over the knuckle, so he spoke softly but with warmth and love.
 
 
"Heero, I give you this ring, that you may wear it as a symbol of the vows we have made this day. I pledge to you my love and respect, my laughter and my tears. With all that I am, I honor you." The ring sat snugly at the base of Heero's finger and Duo smiled through his tears.
 
 
Howard passed the other ring to Heero. "Heero, as you place this ring on Duo's finger I want you also to repeat these words."
 
Taking the ring,Heero paused at the tip of Duo's ring finger on his left hand and smiled lovingly before starting to slide the ring onto Duo's finger. He spoke softly as he did so.
 
 
"Duo, I give you this ring, that you may wear it as a symbol of the vows we have made this day. I pledge to you my love and respect, my laughter and my tears. With all that I am, I honor you."
 
 
With the rings both now safely on each others fingers, Heero and Duo turned once again to face Howard.
 
 
Howard was positively beaming, the grin from ear to ear as he gazed at the pair. With a deep breath he shuffled his papers and continued with the final part of the ceremony.
 
 
"Duo and Heero, we have heard your promise to share your lives in marriage. We recognize and respect the covenant you have made here this day before God and each one of us as witnesses. Therefore in the honesty and sincerity of what you have said and done here today and by the power vested in me by the United Earth and Colony Sphere, Not to mention the fact that I'm a ship's captain and therefore legally allowed to do this; it is my honor and delight to declare you married and partners in life... for life."
 
 
"You may seal your vows with a kiss."
 
 
Heero stepped a little closer, eyes searching Duo's face through his tears of joy. He tilted his head slightly and raised a hand to cup Duo's cheek. Duo's hand mimicked his action, cupping Heero's cheek as he also tilted his head. Their lips met, moving softly together as they shared their happiness and love. Breaking apart, eyes opened and stared intently at each other before Heero pressed another quick kiss to Duo's sweet lips. "I love you," Heero whispered as they moved slightly apart.
 
 
The cat calls and whistles from behind them as they shared their kiss caused Duo to blush a little.
 
 
"Ladies and gentlemen," began Howard. "We will return in just a moment once the register and appropriate paperwork has been dealt with." Words said, Howard motioned for the four to follow him to the small table where the necessary documents awaited them. Managing to hold their tears at bay long enough to see, both men duly signed where they had to, Wufei and Trowa adding their signatures as witnesses in the appropriate places. Howard placed his own signature on the wedding certificate and then carefully folded the document and slid it into an envelope. With a smile he handed the marriage certificate to Heero. "Now for the last bit," he stated softly.
 
 
Turning back to the guests, Howard brought Heero and Duo to stand at the top of the gazebo steps and face their friends.
 
"It is now my personal privilege and great joy to be the first one to introduce Duo and Heero as the newly married couple. Partners in life... for life. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mr and Mr Yuy-Maxwell."
 
 
"Please greet them warmly."
 
 
Quatre struck up another melody on the violin as Duo and Heero, holding hands, stepped down from the gazebo and into the embraces, best wishes and warmth of their friends.
 
 
~ * ~
 
 
tbc......
 
The wedding vows and ceremony were taken from the following 2 sites and used without permission. The vows and ceremony have been changed and altered, words added or subtracted to suit the purpose of this chapter of this fic.
 
http://www.tmclark.com/JP/gay.html
http://dfwx.com/master.html