Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 94 ( Chapter 94 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
Please see previous chapters for notes, disclaimers etc.
 
Chimaera
 
October 2003 ShenLong
 
Chapter 94
 
Heero and Duo stepped down from the gazebo and into the well wishes of their friends. Quatre continued to play as the congratulations rang out around him. Hands were shaken, kisses exchanged and more tears of happiness shared as Heero and Duo mingled with their guests. Once they had spoken with everyone so Wufei managed to convince the couple to move to the rose beds and have some photographs taken. Confetti and rice rained down upon them as they moved through the gathered crowd and over to the side.
 
Sally produced a camera and began to snap away, getting the couple to pose alone and then with Trowa and Wufei, Howard joined in just afterwards and eventually the entire guest list gathered around for a group photo, Harim being persuaded to stand behind the camera so as Sally could appear in the shot as well.
 
"Happy?" Heero asked his lover, nuzzling Duo's hair when they had a brief moment between photos.
 
"Couldn't be happier," replied Duo and reached for his husband's lips, sealing his own to them and kissing Heero deeply. The flash went off amid cheers and as they broke apart they gave the crowd a sheepish grin.
 
"I think we should be heading for the marquee and the reception now, guys," Wufei said, appearing at their sides. The Chinese man was smiling, the happiness he felt for his friends clearly showing in his onyx eyes.
 
"Shall we, Mr Yuy-Maxwell?" Heero offered his arm to Duo.
 
Duo linked his arm through Heero's. "I think we should, Mr. Yuy-Maxwell," Duo replied with a soft smile and look of adoration on his face.
 
The couple made their way to the marquee and ensuing reception, the wedding guests ahead of them.
 
Pausing outside the marquee whilst the guests took their places, Trowa glanced inside at the buffet tables.
 
"Don't even think about it," came a growl in his right ear and Trowa spun around to see Quatre walking past with Hilde on his arm.
 
"But, I..."
 
"Desert the wedding party and you will be sleeping on the couch for a month," hissed Quatre and then turned to Hilde. "Let's take our seats."
 
Trowa watched his husband disappear inside the marquee and sighed. He turned back to the wedding party, the threat of the couch foremost in his mind; but he was determined that couch or no couch he was going to be the one to fetch the wedding cake out and present it to the couple. It was his masterpiece and Trowa was not about to let anyone take away the privilege of unveiling it before the newly weds. The sound of Howard's voice interrupted his thoughts and Trowa prepared himself to enter the marquee.
 
The guests had all entered the marquee and found their places. Harim passed amongst the tables and poured everyone a glass of wine, including the bridal table even though there wasn't anyone sitting there yet. All the staff had a glass too and once every glass was filled, Howard stood and cleared his throat.
 
"Ladies and gentlemen, would you please be upstanding and raise your glasses to welcome the newly weds; Mr and Mr Yuy-Maxwell!"
 
Trowa and Wufei stepped inside and made their way to the bridal table; moments later Duo and Heero, arm in arm stepped inside whilst the company clapped and cheered. Duo felt the flush on his cheeks, he thought he would burst with the happiness he felt. Never in all his short life so far had he ever dreamt he could have such a wonderful group of friends. Despite their differences he loved each and every one of them; they were his only true family.
 
Approaching the bridal table, Trowa and Wufei pulled out their chairs for them and Heero and Duo sat down. Everyone raised their glasses and drank a toast to the couple, Duo and Heero picking up their glasses as well and joining in. Duo's face screwed up into a grimace as he tasted the 'wine' in his glass. "What the fuck is this shit?" he asked Heero as the rest of the guests sat.
 
Heero gave him a perplexed look, his wine tasted just fine so he couldn't understand what Duo was going on about.
 
"It's non alcoholic, Maxwell," Wufei whispered from the side.
 
"It's shit, is what it is," snapped Duo. "And it's Yuy-Maxwell now, Wuffers. Who the fuck gave me this crap?"
 
"Sally's orders. No alcohol for you in your pregnant state, Yuy-Maxwell." Wufei was sure to emphasize the hyphenated name.
 
Duo groaned. "Bloody woman. Couldn't she let me have a least one glass on my wedding day?" he moaned.
 
"You can take it up with her; I refuse," grunted Wufei and replaced his glass on the table.
 
"Heero..."
 
"Uh uh, no way, Duo. If Sally says it's for your own health and the health of the baby then I'm not about to question her. I don't need to be threatened with castration for allowing you to drink," replied Heero with a look of fear.
 
"Wuss," complained Duo.
 
"I might be a wuss but at least I will still have my balls."
 
Seeing as how he wasn't going to get any assistance from anyone on the bridal table, Duo gave up; for the moment anyway. He hadn't been a master thief in the past for nothing.
 
The attention was diverted as Howard announced the serving of the buffet and the bridal table rose to approach the laden table. The bain-marie was filled to overflowing. Two containers of soup awaited the guests, Siska and Marina standing, ladles poised to serve the guests. There was cream of chicken or vegetable soup to choose from and Duo immediately chose the vegetable much to his partner's delight. It wasn't because it was healthy though, Duo hadn't gotten to eat much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables during his life and simply loved vegetable soup. Trowa had somehow managed to find out most of Duo's and Heero's favorite foods and had attempted to incorporate as many as he could into the buffet.
 
As everyone chose their soup and had their bowls filled, so they returned to the tables and ate. Thick, crusty bread was available and Heero ate three slices. Duo commented to Trowa on how delicious the soup tasted and the tall Latin positively beamed.
 
Once the soup was finished and the dishes cleared away there was a little time for the newly weds and guests to mingle before the entree was due to be served. Duo found himself sitting with Une and Sally, Nurse Brown was busy chatting with Hilde whilst Howard, G and the other three ex pilots were conversing by the bar.
 
Une was smiling, something Duo found to be a bit scary at first, but she was genuine in her comments. They talked a little about the ceremony, Une commenting on how lovely the grounds looked and how appropriate the entire ceremony had been before talk turned to Duo's pregnancy.
 
"I must say you're looking radiant, Duo. I know they say that women glow when they're pregnant but in your case it's certainly true."
 
Duo felt himself blush. "It isn't all as easy as it looks," he replied. "I've definitely developed a new respect for women and this pregnancy business."
 
Une laughed. "I can imagine," she stated. "I've heard a lot of women say that if men had to carry and give birth to the children then the human race would quickly become extinct."
 
"I think I can safely say that pregnancy and child birth is one thing a man would have no hesitation in leaving up to the women," chuckled Duo.
 
"How are you really, Duo?" Une asked as she leaned close and kept her voice low. Sally had gone to the bar to fetch another drink so there was no one to hear them.
 
Duo fidgeted with his hands for a moment and then fixed his commanding officer with his amethyst eyes. "I guess I'm okay," he began, a little hesitantly. "Some days are better than others. Most of the time I'm doing all right, my back does ache a bit now though with the added weight in the front," he said as he ran a possessive hand over the swell of the baby. "Generally though my health is good, I'm eating okay, exercising a little and doing my best to follow the doctor's orders."
 
"How are you coping emotionally?"
 
Duo swallowed. This was a sore point with him. "Most days are fine, I do get emotional from time to time, but Sally tells me that is quite normal...but..." Duo trailed off.
 
Sensing there was a little more, Une pushed a fraction. "But? I take it Heero is something to do with the 'but' bit?"
 
"Yeah. I don't know. I love him so much and he's going to make a wonderful father... but... well... sometimes I feel as if I don't have any privacy at all. Sounds stupid, huh?"
 
"No, it doesn't, Duo. I can well imagine that Heero is very protective of you and the baby and if I'm correct he pretty much keeps you in his sights twenty-four seven?"
 
Duo nodded. "I feel like I'm in a gilded cage some days, that I can't even fart without it being a major disaster or cause for concern. Sorry to be so crude."
 
Une chuckled. "Don't worry about it. I do sympathize with you though. If Heero is as dedicated to looking after you as he is to his assignments then I can well appreciate your concerns. For what it's worth, humor him, Duo. Play along with him and indulge him. From my own experiences with men if you go along with things you can always turn them around a little to suit yourself and Heero won't be any the wiser."
 
"Your experiences with men?" Duo's face must have looked a little shocked. Actually the thought of his commanding officer being with a man... well, Duo decided he didn't want to go there.
 
"Contrary to belief, I am human too, Duo. I'm also female and still in my prime," Une told him, and amused smile on her lips.
 
"Umm... I wasn't implying..."
 
"It's okay, Duo. I know you weren't," chuckled Une. "So, when are you and Heero going to have your second child?"
 
Duo's drink made a hasty exit from his mouth and he almost choked. Sally was quick to thump him on the back, having just returned with a round of drinks. "What?!" spluttered Duo as he wiped his face on a napkin Sally had given him.
 
"All I asked was when Duo and Heero were going to have their second child," said Une as she bore the questioning gaze of Sally.
 
"I think he'd better have this one first before he goes planning on having anymore," replied Sally. "We're not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot."
 
"Uh, I think I see Heero waving for me," said Duo and stood up to beat a hasty retreat before Une could ask him anything else.
 
"You all right?" Heero asked as Duo threaded his way through the tables and back to his husband. "You looked as if you needed rescuing."
 
"Thanks, Heero. Une was asking a few questions I wasn't ready to answer." Duo gave his lover a rueful grin.
 
"Like what?" Heero probed, his annoyance beginning to show. "If she's upset you..."
 
"No, no. Nothing like that. She wanted to know when we were planning on having our second child."
 
"What?!"
 
"Probably wants to know now so she can begin to organize the rosters and plan the assignments ahead of schedule," Duo snickered as he took his seat.
 
Heero still looked a little ruffled. "It's none of her business," he gruffed. "Besides, we haven't really discussed if you want any more children or not yet, Duo."
 
"I guess it all depends on Sunshine here. How I go through the birth, how my body reacts, what state the organs are in afterwards... If we decide to have the organs removed or not."
 
Those last words were spoken very softly and Heero picked up on the undercurrent of fear in Duo's voice. "That is something we still have to discuss, Duo. But now isn't the time, nor the place. Let's relax and enjoy ourselves, this is our wedding day so nothing but happy thoughts." Heero leaned over and kissed Duo deeply, the kiss causing all of Duo's concerns to flee from his mind.
 
Duo knew it was a topic they had to confront and the decision either way would not be an easy one; but for now it was time to enjoy and Duo intended to do just that.
 
***
 
The entrees went down extremely well and Duo couldn't get over the amount of food Trowa and his assistants had prepared. Even G commented that Trowa should have been a chef, that his skills had been wasted as a pilot. Trowa took all the praise in his stride but a closer look at the young Latin's face showed just how pleased he was. Besides the asparagus wrapped in smoked salmon there had been small frankfurters wrapped in bacon, mini quiches, crepes filled with a creamy mushroom sauce, oysters and garlic prawns to name but a few.
 
Once the entrees had been cleared away it was time for the speeches. Howard had kept his simple and quick. Mainly expanding a little on what he'd said during the ceremony about the two guys. It was Wufei's speech that had Duo almost in tears.
 
The Chinese man had spoken from his heart and you could clearly hear the sincerity in his voice. "I am honored to have been asked to participate as a best man in the wedding today of two of my dearest and closest friends. I've known both men for several years and whilst the circumstances under which we met and existed together could have been better we learnt something about each other, something a lot of people never do - how to trust. I wasn't the easiest person to get along with and yet both these men managed to help me through the war in their own way. Maxwell had a knack of being able to find the best in any seemingly impossible situation. He would give you back your hope when everything looked bleak. Through Maxwell I found a sense of humor."
 
There was a light chuckling through the guests with that statement and Duo couldn't help but grin.
 
"Yuy, however, he was a completely different person. Quiet, reserved and yet with great strength of character and high moral standards; not that you would know that looking at Maxwell's condition..."
 
"Hey!" shouted Duo with a smirk. The rest of the guests laughed.
 
"Thanks for the sense of humor, Maxwell," retorted Wufei with a slight bow and crinkling of his lips. "But to continue. Yuy gave everyone a feeling of belief. Belief in yourself that you could do whatever task was assigned to you. He was not one to let someone down. I was fortunate enough to have him as my partner on a few occasions during the war and as a partner now on assignments with Preventer. There is no one I'd trust more than either of these two to watch my back. I am proud to have been asked to be Yuy's best man; honored to be a guest on this most sacred and precious of events; but mostly I am humbled to be able to call both Heero and Duo my friends."
 
The ripple of applause took some time to die down, there wasn't a person present that hadn't been affected by Wufei's speech. Duo was wiping his tears with his handkerchief, Heero looked like he was going to need his very shortly and all of the women were dabbing at their eyes.
 
As Wufei gazed in embarrassment around him, so Heero stood up and cleared his throat. "It is usual for the groom to respond with a speech of his own at this stage, with there being two grooms in this case I have been given the honor of speaking first. Duo will most likely say a few words afterwards." Heero gave his husband a smile before continuing. "Firstly I would like to thank you all for coming today, for sharing in our happiness and celebrating our joy. Each one of you is special to us in their own way and if it wasn't for all of you then the sequence of events that led to Duo's and my meeting up and arriving at this point in our lives would never have happened. Each person here today had played a part in our lives, a part in our being together, whether you realize it or not, and for that; I thank you." Heero paused for a moment as Duo stood up alongside him and took the Japanese man's hand. They smiled at each other before Duo took over the speech.
 
"If Howard had spaced me and not kept me on board the Sweeper ship when I stowed away, I wouldn't be alive today. If he hadn't introduced me to G then I would never have learned how to pilot a Gundam and subsequently I wouldn't have been sent to earth and met Heero."
 
Heero picked up next. "I have Trowa to thank for nursing me back to health after my self destruction."
 
"And without Wufei to keep me calm I would have asphyxiated in the cell on the moonbase," added Duo.
 
"Without Quatre's strategic planning the war may never have ended. Without Hilde to straighten me out, give me a job when I needed it and point out a few home truths, I could have walked out on the best thing that ever happened to me... a second time," Heero's voice softened as he gazed into Duo's eyes.
 
"Without Sally to keep patching us up I may never have discovered my condition," replied Duo, his eyes equally fixed on Heero.
 
"And with the assistance of a dedicated Nurse Brown we are going to realize one of life's greatest miracles; we are going to be parents." There was silence for a few moments before Heero continued softly. "Each one of you has had an influence of some kind on bringing us both here today, and for that, we thank you." Heero leaned towards Duo's approaching lips and they kissed.
 
"Aren't you forgetting someone?" came Une's voice from her table.
 
Duo gave her a wry grin. "Sorry. I forgot. Lady Une, our bank manager thanks you as does our credit card for giving us both a job."
 
The guests all broke into peals of laughter, even Une was shaking her head and chuckling.
 
"A toast," called out Howard as he stood up and raised his glass. "To the groom and groom."
 
"To the groom and groom," murmured everyone and sipped from their glass.
 
"To good friends," responded Heero and everyone echoed the words again before raising their glasses and taking another drink.
 
"To the future," put in Wufei and another toast was drunk.
 
"To a long, happy marriage," stated Quatre and took a swig from his wine glass.
 
"To a safe delivery and healthy child," said Sally and raised her glass.
 
"To everyone getting pissed if we have any more toasts!" snickered Duo.
 
Everyone dissolved into laughter with Duo's comment and they all lowered their glasses.
 
"I think it's time for the main course," interrupted Trowa and once more the guests partook of the excellent food.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc......