Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 95 ( Chapter 95 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The song "No Ordinary World" is copyrighted to John Farnham and is used here without permission. (Lyrics are taken from the accompanying booklet to the CD 'The last Time'.)
 
~ Indicates Song Lyrics ~
 
Please see previous chapters for notes and disclaimers.
 
"Chimaera"
 
October. 2003 ShenLong
 
Chapter 95
 
The main course had been brought out and set into the bain-marie and on the buffet tables whilst the speeches had been in progress. Now the delicious smells began to waft across the marquee and tickle everyone's noses. Duo's mouth began to water as he sniffed the exciting aromas.
 
"Come on, Duo," said Heero as he took Duo's hand and led the pregnant man to the buffet.
 
Duo's eyes lit up. He'd never seen so much food. There were platters of salads, cold meats and chicken with round, plump cherry tomatoes, different types of lettuce, capsicum and cucumber; all providing a comfortable bed for the slices of ham, salami, roast beef and turkey to sit on. In the bain-marie waited the hot dishes. Baby potatoes, pumpkin, sweetcorn, carrots and beans steamed whilst slices of roast lamb and roast pork waited to be selected and eaten. There were other hot dishes too; curry and rice, seafood stir fry and beef udon to name but a few. Thick slices of garlic bread sat to the side along with hot bread rolls and butter.
 
Picking up a plate, Duo selected a little of everything to try, Heero watching in amusement as his husband's plate filled to overflowing. "You sure you're going to eat all that?" Heero asked as he selected some of the hot dishes for himself.
 
"You betch'a. This is Tro's cooking we're talking about here, Heero, and I'm not about to miss out on a single bit of it," replied Duo with a grin.
 
Heero elected not to argue. Secretly he was pleased to see Duo's appetite was as healthy as it was. With his own plate almost full, Heero returned to the bridal table and sat down next to his husband and dug in. Wufei and Trowa soon joined them, both their plates filled with many of the various foods from the buffet.
 
"I really must compliment you on your culinary skills, Barton," Wufei stated as he took a mouthful of the seafood stir fry.
 
"Thank you. It's always been a passion of mine to cook," replied Trowa, a pleased look on his face.
 
"I suggest that Winner sack his chef and have you in the kitchen all the time." Wufei said as he continued to eat.
 
"How come you never cooked like this when we were in safe houses during the war, Tro?" asked Duo as he slathered butter onto a hot roll.
 
"Many reasons I guess. Mainly though because we didn't have the ingredients to make elaborate meals," replied Trowa.
 
"It was pretty much basic stuff from what I remember," continued Duo.
 
"We really only needed food that was able to sustain our bodies for the missions," said Heero.
 
"True, but I sure could have gone a few of these gourmet meals from time to time." Duo grinned.
 
"Maxwell, fried rice was a gourmet meal to you."
 
"Can I help it if my local supermarket happened to be the nearest garbage can when I was growing up, Wuffers? We weren't all as lucky as some; and it's Yuy-Maxwell - remember?" Duo's voice had dropped to a low growl as the memories of his half starved childhood came back with Wufei's words.
 
Wufei regretted the words he'd said as soon as he'd said them. He hadn't meant for them to come out the way they had and he could easily see why Duo would take offense. "My apologies, I didn't mean for what I said to come out that way. What I meant was that you are a person who is very easy to please when it comes to food."
 
"Apology accepted, Chang." Duo began to eat again, shoving those dark memories back into the vault of his mind and securing the door once again.
 
"Quatre said you have something special planned for the wedding cake, Trowa." Heero decided a change of topic was in order.
 
"Ahh… that I do."
 
"Well?" Duo asked, a touch of impatience to his voice.
 
"You will have to wait and see." Trowa smirked.
 
"Bastard."
 
Trowa simply smiled.
 
***
 
The main course was over and Siska, along with Marina began to clear away the remains of the feast, setting the buffet table ready for the desserts which would come out a little later. Heero and Duo began to mingle with their guests once more whilst enjoying the break between courses and allowing their main meal to settle. Hilde had done a good job of playing 'DJ' and had a selection of soft background music playing when Quatre looked across the marquee to find his husband. He spotted Trowa talking with Howard and G then excused himself from his current conversation with Hilde and Sally. Quatre moved across the marquee to where Trowa sat, the tall Latin looking up and smiling at his husband's approach.
 
"Excuse me, gentlemen," Quatre said in his soft voice, "But I need to borrow my husband for a moment."
 
Trowa made his apologies and stood up, walking along behind his husband to where the stereo system sat along with their violin and flute.
 
Quatre turned off the stereo and called for everyone's attention. "Ladies and gentlemen. As you know it is traditional to have the newlyweds dance the bridal waltz together, however, seeing as how this isn't a 'traditional' wedding as such there won't be a bridal waltz..."
 
"Thank god for that!" called out Duo with a grin.
 
"...But there will be a bridal dance; or should I say, grooms' dance," Quatre continued with a smirk.
 
"You're not getting out of it that easy, Duo," snickered Hilde.
 
Duo rolled his eyes.
 
"Before we ask the newlyweds to take the floor though, I'd just like to say a couple of words."
 
"No corporate speeches please, I'd like to enjoy my wedding night before the baby turns twenty-one," quipped Duo.
 
Everyone laughed, including Quatre. "No, no corporate speeches, I promise. What I would like to say is that Trowa and I were honored that Heero and Duo would allow us the privilege of playing at their wedding and we would like to express our thanks for such a trusted role by presenting them both with a special gift. Trowa and I have a special song we would like to dedicate to the newlyweds, it's a song we hope they will both like and will remember with much fondness over the years." Quatre paused for a moment and glanced at Trowa who slipped the specially marked CD into the stereo. "We recorded this for you Heero and Duo. Please, will you take to the dance floor and enjoy." With that Quatre turned to Trowa who had his finger poised above the play button.
 
Heero smiled and walked across to where Duo was sitting. He presented his hand and asked softly. "May I have this dance?"
 
Duo's heart was constricting in his chest. The thought that Quatre and Trowa had gone out of their way to record a special song just for them for their wedding had touched a chord deep inside. He took Heero's offered hand and allowed his husband to guide him to the corner of the marquee where a wooden flooring section had been set up specifically for dancing. As Heero's arms encircled him, Duo felt his own reciprocate and despite the bulge of the baby they managed to draw fairly close together.
 
Trowa hit the play button and the melody began to invade the room.
 
~ My day starts out the same,
Looks like it might rain,
But I will not complain,
'Cause I can see the sun. ~
 
Heero smiled at his husband through his bangs as the melody invaded the marquee. Slowly they began to move together to the soft music, the lyrics sinking into their minds. "You are my sun, Duo," murmured Heero softly. “Whenever the dark clouds appear I only have to look at you and they're chased away leaving nothing but warmth.”
 
~ I say my little prayers,
Running down the stairs,
The streets are going nowhere,
But I don't care. ~
 
Smiling happily in return, Duo spoke in almost a whisper. "I don't care what happens in my life anymore, Heero. Just as long as you are beside me. All those prayers I've said over the years have finally been answered."
 
"And what prayers might those have been?" asked Heero as he nuzzled Duo's neck.
 
"To be happy, safe and loved."
 
~ Because this day is beautiful,
Nothing's gonna get me down. ~
 
"Nothing is ever going to get me down again, Heero. Today is the happiest day of my life." Duo rested his head against Heero's shoulder as they danced slowly to the music, slipping his eyes closed and letting his husband guide them around the makeshift dance floor.
 
~ It's no ordinary world,
When you're here with me.
I take the time to smile,
I have the space to breathe. ~
 
"I don't know what I did with myself before you, Duo," Heero said quietly. "This peace, this new world, it was all so strange, so different to everything I'd been trained for. I know it took me a while to come to my senses, but I'm glad I did. You will never know how much you've done for me, Duo. You've taught me to live, to believe, to trust and to love. If it weren't for you I don't think I could have survived. Now I can smile without fear of ridicule and breathe the sweet air knowing it will be but one breath of many. Arigato." Heero pressed a kiss to the top of Duo's head.
 
~ No ordinary world,
When you walk with me.
I see inside these dreams,
Every diamond every pearl.
It's no ordinary world. ~
 
"The world has changed for me to, Heero. I can now walk proudly, with my head held high, because you are there beside me. You can see into my dreams, share them and not make fun of me for them. To you they are as real as the dawning of a new day and you are doing your best to help me make them come true. I love you, Heero Yuy-Maxwell." Duo kissed the only patch of skin he could find on Heero's neck given his current position with his head on Heero's shoulder.
 
~ Everybody's got a dream,
Every thought in every scheme,
And all the spaces in between,
To see the clouds. ~
 
“You have made my dreams come true too, Duo. All I've ever wanted was to live a normal life, be respected and loved for who I am, not what people wanted me to be. You saw the real me, the one forced to be locked away so that the soldier could function and you helped to bring the true me into existence. You've given me a second chance at life, Duo.”
 
~ But I won't give it too much time,
To get inside my mind.
'Cause all that really matters,
Is here and now. ~
 
“Let's not dwell on the past, Heero; let's live for the future, for we do have a future.”
 
“Hai, we do. Thank you for loving me; thank you for agreeing to marry me; thank you for being the mother of my child - but most of all, thank you for being you.”
 
~ When you're lying close to me,
You are all the joy I need.~
 
They continued to sway to the music, each lost in their own thoughts and oblivious to the couples around them that had joined in with their dance. Quatre looked up into his husband's emerald eyes and smiled. “I think they like the song,” he said softly.
 
“I have to agree with you there. It was a good idea, Quatre. Love you,” replied Trowa and kissed his husband soundly.
 
~ It's no ordinary world,
When you're here with me.
I take the time to smile,
I have the space to breathe. ~
 
Sally was dancing with Wufei, moving slowly to the beat. “They make a wonderful couple, don't they?”
 
“Yes, they do,” replied Wufei as he glanced at Heero and Duo, locked in each other's arms, radiating a serenity and love that knew no bounds. “They deserve some happiness.”
 
“We all do,” murmured Sally quietly. “And I intend to see that Duo delivers a healthy baby and that both of them get the very best of care and treatment I can give.”
 
“I would expect nothing less and neither would they. But then, they have the best doctor they could hope for.”
 
“Was that a compliment, Chang?” teased Sally.
 
Wufei simply shrugged and then with a wicked smile he swooped in and kissed Sally.
 
~ No ordinary world,
When you walk with me.
I see inside these dreams,
Every diamond every pearl.
It's no ordinary world. ~
 
“Happy?” Duo asked his husband.
 
“Duo, my happiness cannot be measured. I have everything I ever wanted. A loving husband, peace within my soul and a child to look forward to. What more could I want?”
 
~ No ordinary world... ~
 
The music began to fade out and the various couples slowed in their dancing before coming to a complete stop and then applauding loudly. Heero and Duo broke slightly apart, but kept their arms around each other's waists. Duo's eyes widened a little as he saw the others on the dance floor as well, he'd been so locked into his own world he hadn't noticed the others join them on the floor. He gave a grin when he saw Howard with Nurse Brown. He inched over to the couple and whispered into Nurse Brown's ear. “You wanna watch out for him, he's a smooth talker.”
 
“No smoother than you,” replied the nurse with a twinkle in her eye. “Trust me, I can handle over amorous men, I deal with them all the time in my profession.”
 
Duo laughed. “I know you can.” He gave Howard a grin. “Think you can handle her?”
 
Howard turned and looked at the young man. “I practically raised you, didn't I?”
 
Before the next exchange of words could be issued, Trowa called for their attention. “Ladies and gentlemen, please would you all take your seats as it is time to bring out the wedding cake.”
 
“At last, the big secret is to be revealed,” said Duo as he faked a swoon. “I don't think I can take the excitement.”
 
“Baka,” muttered Heero as he took his husband's hand and led them back to the table.
 
Sitting down again the guests all waited patiently for Trowa to reappear with the wedding cake. After making his announcement, Trowa had disappeared back into the house and now Siska stood ready by the marquee entrance to assist if the Latin needed her.
 
“I take it that this is something special?” Hilde asked Quatre who was sitting with her once more.
 
“Special is an understatement,” muttered Quatre. “I think he would have slept with the damn thing if he could. It's all he's thought about these past few days.”
 
Hilde laughed and took a sip of her wine.
 
Trowa pushed the small trolley that bore the wedding cake out of the 'fridge and through the kitchen towards the marquee. He'd added the last couple of finishing touches to his masterpiece and was nervous about how it would be received. He could only hope that everyone would like his creation. Taking a deep breath and feeling fortified by Siska's warm smile, he entered the marquee, pushing the trolley and cake in front of him.
 
The chatter died immediately Trowa entered and all the guests gazed in awe.
 
Trowa pushed the trolley through the silent guests and towards the wedding table. He brought it to a halt just in front of Heero and Duo and stepped to the side. “Your wedding cake,” he announced softly. “I hope you like it.”
 
Heero and Duo both gazed upon the creation with wide eyes.
 
“Trowa... It's beautiful,” said Heero softly. “Arigato.”
 
“It's a work of art, and if I'm not mistaken...” Duo leaned forwards for a closer look. “That's got to be made with Crunchie bars.” Duo's face lit up into a beaming smile.
 
The cake was a two tier concoction of chocolate and Crunchie bars. “I made up a special mud cake,” began Trowa as he explained what the cake was actually made of. “I added crushed up Crunchie bars to the cake mix, knowing how much Duo loves them. The icing is plain chocolate and the decoration is from Crunchie bars too.”
 
Duo stared at the cake. The thick chocolate icing glistened back at him and he felt his mouth water. Around the edge of the bottom tier sat several roses, all carved painstakingly from Crunchie bars. On the top tier stood two small grooms instead of the usual bride and groom. Crunchie bars had been used to fashion an altar that stood on top of the cake right in front of the two figures. The remainder of the top tier was covered in crumbled up Crunchie bars. “Oh, man. It's going to be a sin to cut into that,” Duo said, obviously torn between preserving the artistry and giving in to his craving.
 
“It's yours to enjoy,” said Trowa calmly.
 
“Come on, we want to see you cut the cake!” called out Hilde.
 
“You just want to taste it,” retorted Duo, suddenly feeling very protective of the cake.
 
“Duo,” Heero began in his 'patient' voice. “The wedding cake is to be cut and enjoyed by everyone, you can't keep it all for yourself despite how much you love Crunchies.”
 
“I know. It just seems sacrilegious to destroy something that has obviously taken a lot of time and effort to make.”
 
“I can always make you another cake just the same,” smiled Trowa obviously pleased with the reaction his masterpiece had received.
 
Sighing softly, Duo stood up and along with Heero, made his way to the front of the table and where the cake sat. Heero took the knife into his hand and Duo's wrapped over the top. Together they positioned the tip of the knife on the cake and paused for a moment. Sally was busy snapping away and Duo wondered just exactly how much room was left on the memory chip of the digital camera.
 
The knife bit down into the top layer of icing then continued to slip into the cake, slicing neatly down. Once the cut was made and the cheers of their friends had died down a little, so Trowa removed the cake and with Siska's assistance, cut it up into small pieces ready for distribution amongst the guests. Meanwhile, Marina had finished setting out the desserts and the guests were busy helping themselves to the different treats.
 
“What the hell are these?” asked Duo as he poked at a chocolate covered 'ball' of what appeared to be pastry.
 
“Profiteroles,” replied Quatre.
 
“Huh?”
 
“They're choux pastry with custard inside and chocolate icing on the outside. They are nice,” replied Quatre as he took a couple and placed them on his own plate.
 
“Oh-kay. Seeing as how you're so clued up on all this dessert stuff, Q-man, how about you tell us what else is here?”
 
Heero gave the blonde an amused smile. He knew some of the desserts on display, but not all of them.
 
“This here is a cheesecake and that is a pavlova, over there are some brandy snaps, these are the profiteroles and that one there is a chocolate honeycomb mousse, I think.” Quatre squinted at the delicate glass dishes that the mousse was presented in.
 
“Then I'm gonna try the mousse,” said Duo with a grin.
 
Desserts went down well, all the guests enjoying the various sweet treats that Trowa and his willing assistants had made. Once the desserts were finished, Siska and Marina set out coffee cups for those that wanted tea or coffee and then took around the trays with the wedding cake sliced up on them.
 
Duo took a slice of the cake and studied it for a moment. It looked delicious.
 
“Here.”
 
Duo looked up from his scrutiny to see Heero smiling at him and holding a piece of wedding cake in his fingers just by his lips. Giving a smile of his own, Duo opened his mouth and let Heero feed him the piece of cake. The chocolate danced over his tongue, melting and spreading its sweet flavor through Duo's mouth. His eyes closed in bliss as the subtle tones of the golden honeycomb that was the Crunchie bar invaded his taste buds and sent them into raptures. “Now that is an orgasm of the mouth,” he sighed happily.
 
Heero simply snickered and continued to feed his spouse.
 
***
 
The reception began to wind down, guests filled to overflowing with the good food and fine wines. The dancing had ceased and now just soft melodies played in the background. Everyone sat around chatting quietly and simply enjoying the company of good friends. Duo looked at his watch and was surprised to find it was only eight thirty. He couldn't help the yawn though and tried to hide it with his hand.
 
“Tired?” Heero asked from Duo's side.
 
“Yeah, a little I guess.”
 
“Want to leave then?”
 
Heero's eyes held a warmth to them and Duo's violet instantly picked up on it. A small tingle shot down his spine and he felt his body flush. “What about the guests and the wedding presents?”
 
“The guests expect the bridal couple to leave the reception before them and the wedding presents can wait until tomorrow. Right now I want to take my husband to bed and make gentle love to him.”
 
“Oh, Heero,” Duo murmured as his eyes went glassy at the thought of making love. It had been some time since they had enjoyed the intimacy of making love, pleasuring each other with hands and mouth instead as they hadn't wanted to do anything to harm the baby or put Duo's health at risk. “Is it safe to do that?”
 
Heero sat down next to his husband and checking that no one else was listening in on their conversation, he lowered his voice and spoke softly. “I have talked to Sally and she agrees that there shouldn't be any danger to either you or the baby if we take it slow and gentle.”
 
“So, swinging off the chandeliers is out of the question, Tarzan?” Duo snickered.
 
“Maybe after the baby is born, Jane,” Heero quipped.
 
“Does that mean I will get to see you in a loin cloth?”
 
“You never know your luck, Duo.” Heero pressed a quick kiss to Duo's lips. “Come on, let's get out of here.”
 
Duo allowed Heero to assist him to stand and waited whilst Heero informed Howard of their intention to retire from the celebrations. Howard stood up and went to the stereo, turning it off and then clearing his throat to gain everyone's attention.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen. We have reached that part of the celebrations where the groom and groom are about to leave. I'd like you all to form a circle on the dance floor with our newlyweds inside so they may say goodnight to each and everyone of you.”
 
The chatter rose again as all the guests as well as Harim, Raphel, Siska and Marina formed a circle on the dance floor, Heero and Duo in the middle. With music playing softly again, the pair began their round of the circle, speaking with each of their guests individually, thanking them for coming, for their gifts and good wishes. When Duo reached Trowa he could feel the tears behind his eyelids and hugged the Latin as best he could.
 
“Thanks, Tro. You put on a great spread and the cake was...” Duo couldn't finish, his voice was choking up.
 
“It was my pleasure, Duo. I'm glad to know you were happy with it all.”
 
Duo nodded and moved onto Quatre who was wiping the tears away from his cheeks. “You hang on to him, Quat. He's one hell of a guy. But I guess I don't have to tell you that.”
 
“You're one hell of a guy yourself, Duo. Congratulations and be happy. Heero will look after you, I know he will; and if he doesn't he will have both Trowa and myself to answer to.” Quatre hugged his friend. “Take care of that baby too.” Quatre ran a hand over Duo's belly and was rewarded with a kick from the tiny life inside. His face lit up into a beaming smile. “It kicked me! Trowa! The baby, it kicked me!” he all but yelled.
 
Duo laughed and Trowa stared in amazement. “It did?” Trowa said quietly.
 
“Here.” Duo took Trowa's hand and placed it on his abdomen. “Just wait a moment.”
 
Trowa waited and then suddenly a sharp push was felt against his hand. “Wow! It really is a baby,” he said, his eyes widening.
 
“Of course it's a baby, what did you think I had in there?” chuckled Duo.
 
“I knew you were pregnant and all that but I guess until feeling it actually move... well, now it seems so real. I suppose that sounds kind of lame,” said Trowa with a sheepish grin.
 
“It makes perfect sense to me, Tro,” said Duo softly. “I found it sort of unreal as well, hard to accept. But once it started to move, well, that seemed to make it all real.”
 
“You going to say goodnight or stand there and chatter for the rest of the evening?” said Howard from where he was standing next to Quatre.
 
“Sorry, Howie,” grinned Duo and moved on. “Thanks, Howard. This wedding wouldn't have taken place if not for you. I owe you big time.” Duo felt the tears begin to leak from his eyes but he didn't care to brush them away.
 
Howard clapped a hand to Duo's shoulder. “It was my pleasure, Duo. Glad to have been able to do it for you. Aw, shit.” Howard pulled Duo into a warm embrace. “You take good care of yourself, kid. You hear me? I don't want nothing happening to you or my grandkid.”
 
“Grandkid?” Duo echoed.
 
“Yeah, well... You've always been like a son to me, Duo.”
 
“I could think of no one better to be a grandparent to our baby. You've been the only father I've ever known, Howie. Thank you. Thank you for everything.”
 
“Shit. You'd better move along now before I start bawling,” sniffed Howard and pushed his sunglasses a little firmer onto his face.
 
With a watery smile, Duo continued his round.
 
Heero reached Nurse Brown, the last of the guests for him to thank. The nurse surprised him by giving him a hug and once he'd gotten over the shock, he found himself hugging back. “Thank you for everything you've done so far and all that is to come.”
 
“My pleasure, Heero. You two are good for each other. Just remember this. No matter how rough and rocky the road may seem, keep the line of communication open and you can conquer anything.”
 
“I'll remember that. “ Heero gave the nurse a peck to the cheek and pulled back a little. “You're like a mother to us both and that means a hell of a lot. Arigato.”
 
Nurse Brown didn't reply but simply nodded her head and patted Heero on the back. “Go to your husband. Be happy.”
 
Smiling through tears of happiness, Heero looked around for Duo and found him waiting at the edge of the circle. Heero strode over, his eyes beholding the vision of his love before him and nothing else. Taking Duo's hand in his, Heero pressed a kiss to his husband's lips and then turned to face the guests one last time. “Thank you, thank you all for coming, your kind wishes and your friendship. But most of all, thank you for your blessings.” With those words said, Heero led Duo from the marquee and reception back to the mansion and the privacy of their bedroom.
 
Behind them the sounds of cheering and cat calls serenaded their departure.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....