Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Devil's Due ❯ - 15 - ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

— 15 —

November 23, A.C. 204. Base. 1pm

Listening to Zachary tell Shin all about his stay-over at Grandma’s was cute, and his hand seemed very small to Chance as he led the boy toward the med-tent to fulfill his promise to Morris. Chai and Jordan were strolling hand in hand a few steps behind, and Wufei was waiting outside the office with a fountain drink in one hand. Morgan, Paris, and Quatre were a few steps off, and Chance could see Trowa hurrying from where his car had just parked up the road a ways.

“Hey,” Wufei greeted them easily when they moved within hearing range. “What news?”

“You can’t tell pregnancy for three weeks,” Shin retorted happily.

Wufei flashed her a naughty grin.

“Does my honeymoon have to be over?” Chance appealed to Quatre as Trowa joined them. “I can take Chip and run off again. You four get real busy so Une can’t send you after us and all…”

Quatre grinned at him.

“What’s this about, anyway?” Jordan asked, passing the fountain drink he was holding to his wife.

“We’re here to have an intervention for your wife,” Trowa explained with a negligent shrug. “We need her to believe she can get pregnant…we’ll all help.”

Chai made a partially offended, partially amused, noise and smacked him.

Trowa flashed her a grin as they started into the building.

Morris was initially pleased to see Chance and Shin…but then he noted the entourage and frowned slightly, looking them all over.

“Were you waiting for us?” Quatre asked him blankly.

“Yes indeed he was,” Paris agreed, looking to his friend conversationally. “He’s also very anxious that it’s not just the newly weds.”

Morris gave them both looks and gestured with his head toward the hall.

“No forms?” Shin teased.

“You’ve filled them out already,” Morris returned, moving through the group to open the door to the first exam room.

Chance stopped, focusing sharply on the man as a few suspicions resurfaced.

“Come on,” Jor muttered, shoving him through the door. “I’m damn curious now.”

The group moved in and spread around the small room, giving the doctor a very interested look.

“I’m not happy that you brought your entourage, because I don’t know how you’ll react,” Morris noted, frowning at Shin a moment before looking back to Chance.

“What is it?” Chai asked curiously, passing the drink back to her husband.

“Well…” the man hesitated a moment longer, then moved to a pile of papers on the counter and dug out a few sheets of paper, hesitating…before offering them to Chance.

Chance took those, studying the man’s eyes before focusing…on the results of a paternity test.

He stared.

They’d told him they weren’t sure who…

Chance’s heart skipped a beat.

“What?” Shin asked, moving to look better herself. “I don’t understand.”

“What is it?” Jor asked, trying to catch the words through the back of the page.

“But…” Chance looked up to Morris in disbelief. “How…I…”

“Look at the boy, Yuy,” Morris muttered sincerely. “Watch how he moves, how he talks…look at the pictures of you in the report files.”

Jordan’s jaw dropped as Wufei and Quatre exchanged disbelieving looks.

Trowa was sniggering with a hand over his mouth.

“I…” Chance stared down at the papers again, then looked around to his wife, moving the paper so she could read it properly.

“Chance,” she said quietly, looking it over. “I don’t read that well.”

“It…Shin…” he hesitated a moment before meeting her eyes fully. “I’m his father.”

She stared at him.

“But she was two months pregnant when they met,” Chai protested, staring in disbelief at the doctor.

Morris moved back to the file and pulled out a pair of pictures. One of Heero Yuy from…an attack, actually. The oldest picture on file of him, and the only picture from his childhood that anyone could find. The second picture was one of Chip.

There were definite similarities…more than the fact that they were both Asian descent.

Jordan pulled Chai to himself, still not believing.

“But…how?” Shin asked, dumbfounded.

“You were a backroom girl, right?” Wufei asked, studying her. “You’d seen him around before you actually started talking to him, right?”

She flushed slightly, meeting his eyes before she nodded.

“I need…to sit down,” Chance muttered, looking back to the boy…to his boy…in disbelief.

“Here,” Morgan muttered, shoving a chair to him.

“You asked me what tests I was running and I didn’t tell you,” Morris reminded him quietly. “I figured that if it was a negative result I’d just keep the thoughts to myself…but either you have a brother here in town…or…” he shrugged, looking to Chip.

Zach was studying his parents curiously.

“How…is this…possible?” Chance whispered, offering his arms to the boy.

“Chance and circumstance…plus pearl, I imagine,” Trowa offered helpfully.

Chance shot him a venomous look as the boy climbed into his lap…and Shin covered her mouth with her hand before throwing herself at the pair of them…and starting to cry.

“Mom, why are you crying?” the boy demanded quickly, looking alarmed.

“Happy tears, baby,” she replied, holding him even closer as Chance tried to hold her, too. “Oh, Chance,” she added, turning to hug him better. “Oh, Chance…”

“Quatre?” Paris whispered, shying away backwards.

“Yeah,” Quatre returned, understanding. The feeling of her appreciation, joy, confusion, and guilt wasn’t overwhelming to him…Chance’s own confusion and concern with his disbelief didn’t bother him.

Paris, however, was stronger…and the others were disbelieving, too.

Quatre moved forward to hug his friend, then Shin, kissing her forehead with a slight smile before moving backwards, looking the others over…and then turned to follow his friend from the room.

“Why don’t you and me go find a vending machine, huh?” Trowa muttered, moving forward to offer his arms to Chip. “I’ll get you a candybar, huh, kid?”

Chip frowned at him, then his mother, then shrugged and raised his arms in consent.

Trowa met Jordan’s eyes on his way out, smiling very slightly.

“I’m…gonna…do…that,” Morgan noted, moving around quickly to follow the other.

“So are we all making ourselves scarce?” Wufei asked, moving around them himself to stand with Chai and Jor.

“I dunno,” Jor shrugged, taking another drink.

“It’d probably be more…nice,” Chai muttered, tilting her head.

“Oh, Chance…I’m so sorry,” Shin muttered, holding him tighter. “I’m so…”

“Sorry for what?” Chance returned, blinking at her.

“You did so much for me,” she returned, dropping onto his lap. “I was so mean to you…”

“Mean?” he returned in amusement. “You married me…”

“No, before…” she explained, burying her face in his neck. “You were trying so hard,” she added, crying harder. “You got me everything I craved, you took me to my appointments…you made sure I took the prenatal shit…and then you paid for the hospital fees…”

“Shin,” Chance started to reprimand.

“Every time he was sick, every time we needed clothes…all my bills…”

“Come on,” Chance muttered, pulling her away to meet her eyes. He didn’t want to remember that time between her and Jordan…not the bad stuff, anyway.

“You were always there for me,” she whispered, studying his eyes. “And I was so bad to you…”

“That was situational,” he noted quietly, wiping her tears. “You know I didn’t get us out of that shit…I didn’t know what I was doing…”

“But you tried,” she informed him. “You tried your damnedest…”

“You’re my wife,” he whispered back, leaning up to her. “You are my wife.”

She blinked at him.

“It doesn’t matter anymore, Shinyue,” he whispered. “You married me, and Zach is mine…he’s mine…it doesn’t matter.”

She studied his face a moment, then moved forward to hug him again.

“Maybe we should,” Chai muttered.

Jordan grinned at her and took the fountain drink back from her.

“Get out,” Morris muttered, swatting at Wufei’s hair.

Wufei grinned at him, then shrugged the pair. He shoved Jordan toward the door and Chai grinned, moving ahead of them.

“You should get out, too,” Wufei noted to the doctor.

“I might,” the man returned, then focused back on the newlyweds.

“So,” Wufei muttered as they started for the entrance. “Are you two going to have kids or not?”

Jordan tilted his head as he considered it.

“Have…kids?” Chai echoed, blinking at him. “Just…like that?”

“I suppose it is your body, so it would be your choice, but…”

“Just…like that?” she repeated, focusing back on Jordan.

“We’d have to kick Quatre out in a year or two,” he noted, “but if you get your ass on interrupting the empathy, that won’t even be a problem.”

“But…” Chai stopped as they joined the others outside the building.

“She’s scared and worried,” Quatre noted.

“The past, it’s something about the past,” Paris added.

Chai blinked at them, then started to shake her head.

“You’re scared,” Jordan noted, looking down. “But anytime you’re ready…anything you want,” he noted, meeting her eyes.

“I don’t know if…Jordan…last time…”

His eyes were sad as he studied her.

“You’re not in Angels, Chai,” Trowa noted quietly. “You have the funds, you have the facilities…you have the home…you can have children.”

She took a few breaths, starting to shake her head.

“Didn’t you miscarry because your boyfriend?” Quatre asked quietly.

Her eyes went sad as she looked away.

“Think about your life,” Quatre suggested. “Think about where you are, where you live…then remember hell. Remember those apartments with no insulation. Think about the mafia bullshit you and Jor played with down there…and look around,” he gestured to the area as the first patters of rain started falling from the sky. “Nothing is the same as it was…including the abusive boyfriend.”

She blinked at him again.

“You started a help center that helps thousands and thousands of people as a passing suggestion,” Quatre added, moving closer to her. “I was on Prozac for a couple years and depressed…until you showed up. You brought Jordan back to us, you help us stay together…and in all honesty, there’s no one on this base I’d rather see. You’re married to a three-star general.” He studied her eyes a moment. “Last time…has no bearing on this time…and you won’t be alone. You have Shin now.”

She studied him for a moment in amazement, then looked back to Jordan.

“See,” Trowa noted happily to Chip. “I told you we were having an intervention.”