Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Duo's Dilemma ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It's not mine. Never was. Not making any money off of this. The only thing I'm responsible for is Bella and her family/friends/enemies...you get the point.

A/N - Hey everyone! Bet you thought I was dead, huh? Nope, I'm back!

I'm glad I've seemed to keep a few of you entertained up until this point. Hope you like the way this story is going. And special thanks to the people below:

-

Duo's Dilemma

Chapter 10

Help Me Understand

-

Duo stifled a groan as the once Queen of the World stood shoulder to shoulder with Quatre Winner and argued their points about the would-be agreements for the third hour. Unfortunately for the young man, with Bella's absence, he had been assigned to guard duty right along with Heero and Wufei. His little talk with the absent woman the night before had him racking his sleep deprived brain for any logical reason that he could come up with for her sudden absence. Of course, he drew the line with the stray thought that some little green men from another planet had decided to blackmail her into giving them all the materials her company had mined from the resource satellites. His attention however, turned back to where Relena, Mr. Covington, and Quatre, along with two other representatives, were standing behind podiums and answering questions from the gaggle of idiots that was called the Senate.

"..brought to our attention that a number of Earth's Senators and Foreign dignitaries wish to alter the way things are being conducted in space, with special emphasis on the Harbor and Trade Agreements, as well as the frequency of mining on the natural resource satellites." said Relena calmly. "Is this true"

"Yes." said the man that Duo had been told was Manuel Sanchez. He was a slightly balding man in his mid-forties. His dark hair and eyes, along with surname, all pointed to a spanish background. And that assumption was quickly placed as fact when he spoke with the slight waive in his English. "We have asked more of the more well known companies to alter a few certain things in order to stabilize things amongst the home companies on Earth."

"An increase in the mining would cause a severe influx in the amount of raw materials present in the market." Quatre said, a frown on his face. "Prices would plummet, and companies such as mine would eventually be forced to lay off more workers."

"It isn't worth it." the man beside Quatre said angrily, the CEO of Cloverleaf Industries. "Even Ms. Saucier thinks so! And she's the one you've been hassling for the past few months."

"Ah, yes, the illustrious Ms. Saucier." drawled the politician with obvious disdain. "I see she is not present at today's meetings. How odd."

"She had an urgent business deal in space." Mr. Covington said tersely. "But she has passed on her sentiments through me that she will not be abiding by any of your requests, Senator Sanchez."

"Is that so" asked the man. "Do tell as to why she has disagreed with our requests, will you, Kenneth"

"The economy in space and the colonies have finally stabilized." Quatre said. "The work provided by companies like SaucierCorp., Cloverleaf Ind., and Winner Development has allowed the colonists to lead a relatively stable life. There is no point in jeopardizing that simply because someone else wants to pad their pockets."

"Mr. Winner is correct." Senator Covington said, nodding. "If anyone starts messing with the output amounts coming from the resource satellites, we are going to be tampering with a system that is at a stable point. It is at an equilibrium, and shifting the balance is going to cause major problems that can ultimately be avoided by leaving it alone."

"I would suppose it is then safe to assume that Saucier Corp. is ruling against the government intervention into the colonies" the representative from Russia asked.

"That is a safe assumption, yes." Senator Covington said. "Belladonna is not going to risk the stability of her company and the welfare of her employees because some people who have never been in space want to add a little to their bank accounts."

"And what is your...I mean, Ms. Saucier's...opinion on the Harbor Agreements" asked Manuel Sanchez, saying the woman's name with such disgust that his bias was apparent.

Duo tuned the rest of the argument out and scanned over the surrounding sea of people. Heero had stationed him near the western exit of the conference hall, directly across from Wufei, and to the left of himself. His thoughts were just about to turn to Bella once again when Relena's angry voice caught his attention.

"If I do remember exactly, the last time the government tried to regulate and control anything in the colonies, a number of fights broke out in many of the space docks." she pointed out firmly. "An embargo was placed on many goods, and both sides suffered. Presently, things are fine, and it will stay that way for a while. That is unless of course the lot of you want another major conflict to spring up. And need I remind you that we don't have mobile suits and Gundams to settle these ridiculous disputes anymore! If a war breaks out because of simple greed, it won't be soldiers on the front lines. It will be you."

The entire senatorial group simply stared at the woman, mouths agape and eyes slightly widened that she would bring up such a comparison. Duo just grinned and tipped his head in her direction, a slight vote of confidence in the woman who had managed to tame Heero Yuy and keep him in one place...without the use of a nail gun or cement shoes.

"That's one way to shut them up, Princess." he muttered as the men and women who had just been grilling Relena and the others called for a lunch break. As Quatre helped Relena down the steps and to Heero's side, Duo walked over and slapped the Arabian man on the back.

"Hey, Q-man" he said jovially. The blonde man, who was perhaps the youngest CEO in the space colonies, simply smiled slightly and nodded, returning Duo's customary energetic greetings with his more refrained one.

"It is good to see all of you." Quatre said as his own two bodyguards seemed to appear right behind him from the crowd. The first, a huge man with a dark beard and hardened face was Rashid, an ex-Magunac pilot that had fought against the White Fang alongside the Gundam pilots. The other was Trowa Barton, one of said Gundam pilots, and perhaps the most silent and deadly of them all.

"Quatre, how are you" Relena asked, giving the Arabian man a warm hug and welcoming smile. "It is finally good to see you."

"As is you, Miss Relena." Quatre answered, smiling happily. "Duo, Wufei, Heero, how have you all been"

"Fine." Duo said happily, patting the Arabian on the back. "How's it going Q-man? Trowa? What's up, Rashid"

"Duo." Trowa nodded in recognition.

"Mr. Maxwell." Rashid acknowledged, bowing slightly.

"Wonderful." Quatre said. "Things are going fine. Although I am afraid that we seemed to have angered the majority of the Senators in such a short time." He nodded towards where Manuel Sanchez and a number of other politicians were walking past them, angry scowls plastered on their faces, and mumbling incoherently to themselves.

"I sure hope their faces don't freeze like that." Duo commented. "It's enough to give a grown man nightmares for a month"

"Only you would make such an inane comment like that, Maxwell." Wufei said.

"Would you all like to go get some lunch" Quatre asked, loosening the tie at his neck a bit. "I had some questions I wanted to ask you."

"We have some questions as well, Quatre." Relena said, allowing herself to be shuffled out of the conference hall and into a waiting limo. Duo and Wufei followed them in a black SUV, while Heero climbed in with Relena and Quatre.

"What is going on with Ms. Saucier" Quatre asked as Rashid maneuvered them through the downtown traffic and towards a small, out of the way cafe. "Why the sudden disappearance"

"That is the same thing I wanted to ask you." Relena said, a frown on her face. "I know she was supposed to speak today, but she just picked her things up and left yesterday after she got back from her office. I'm worried about her, Quatre. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this would you"

"It seems like whomever is doing this to her has some sort of close connection to her." Heero stated flatly. "I know the woman has enemies, most high ranking officials do. Is there anyone who particularly does not like her"

"She has no real enemies as far as I know." Quatre said sitting back. "I know her somewhat well, since we are constantly in contact with each other concerning our respective companies, but she has never mentioned any problems with anything lately. At least, nothing abnormal."

"We think it may be on a more personal note." Relena said, grateful for any information she could get on her friend. "I've known her for a while myself, ever since I went to St. Gabriel's. Even though this is the first I have seen her in quite some time, something does not strike me as fine with her."

"We found out about the wreck she had a few years back, and the people killed." Heero said. "One of them was Sanchez's daughter."

"Ah, yes, Maria." Quatre said, shaking his head sadly. "She and Belladonna apparently had it out about some man. I was not privy to all of the details, though."

"There was an un-named fatality in that accident." Heero said blandly. "Who was it" Quatre just took a deep breath and shook his head.

"I don't know." he said. "I never found out either. All I do know is that Maria and the gentlemen she was with were the only ones in their vehicle. And the same goes for Belladonna and her boyfriend. None of the other vehicles involved in the accident had fatalities, so I don't know who it was."

"What else can you tell us about her, then" Relena asked. "I know I shouldn't be prying, but was, and still is, a good friend."

"Other than the fact that she is a brilliant businesswoman, and hard-nosed about what she does, there isn't much more, I'm afraid." Quatre said. "She's very loyal and does a lot of work for the orphanages on the colonies though, so she's not as cold-hearted as many tabloids make her out to be."

"Orphanages" Relena asked.

"Yes. Especially the ones in her home colony cluster." Quatre pointed out. "Father Benelli's is one of her favorites. Many of the older teenagers who have come from that orphanage after graduating high school or college have went to work for her."

"Sounds like quite the little Samaritan." Heero said, nonplussed.

"She's a good person at heart." the blonde man said. "She really is. But as for what could make her hop a plane to space, I don't know. I do know that I'm meeting her day after tomorrow to get some contracts signed, though."

"She's still working" Relena asked, somewhat surprised.

"She never stops." Quatre laughed. "She's going to work herself to death one of these days."

"She's always like this" Heero asked.

"She wasn't always. But after the accident a few years ago, she's immersed herself so far into her work that she'd need a hundred foot rope to pull herself out. I don't even think she's taken a vacation since then, in fact."

Relena just breathed in deeply and settled back into the comfort of the limo, still trying to piece together why Belladonna would just leave in such a rush. Her leaving had caused more problems that they had expected, causing things to take a turn for the worse. She glanced over at Heero, who still had a blank look on his face, but noticed the tightening around his eyes.

Relena knew he wanted to get her out of the city and back home to Europe. The only reason she had put up an argument to stay was because of her friendship to Belladonna. But, seeing as how the woman was obviously trying to hide some of her demons, Relena had a feeling she could take care of herself should things get hairy. She decided right then an there to go back home the next time Heero brought it up. After all, when Heero was stressed, it just made them both more irritable.

-Later on that evening...-

That evening after dinner, Relena settled down into a comfortable chair in the library of the Covington plantation with a hot cup of cocoa and a stack of paperwork. Not far from her was Heero, standing in a shadowy corner, and Duo, who was playing a video game on the television console. Wufei had went to secure the outside perimeter and check with the number of Preventors who were still occupying the plantation grounds until the end of the Summit Meeting.

Mr. and Mrs. Covington had left to go see a movie a few hours ago, and would be back at any moment. And Margureite was currently in her own room, doing on heaven knew what. Relena had just settled into reading a contract of some sort when the vidcam on the side wall rang. Heero, who was standing not far from it, answered it. After a few grunts that could have very likely been words of some sort, he turned to Relena.

"She wants to talk to you." he said evenly. Relena seemed slightly confused by the statement. But when Heero turned a pointed look to Duo, who was still sitting in a chair, engrossed with the video game, Relena smiled and got up to go to the vidcam. She had pointed out the connection Duo had seemingly formed with the eldest of Covington's daughters earlier that day during lunch with Quatre, much to Heero's ever increasing annoyance. And now it seemed that anytime Bella came up in the conversation, Heero would send a glare in Duo's direction.

"Belladonna, how are you? Is everything okay? Where are you" Relena asked, literally pushing Heero out from in front of the vidcam.

"I'm fine, Relena. Calm down before Yuy has you committed to the hospital for having a heart attack." Bella said, chuckling lightly. "Everything is fine, and I am currently in a hotel on L4's main colony cluster. What are you doing"

"Hey" Duo called, looking over his shoulder. "Who's on the phone"

"It's Bella." Relena said, smiling. Duo frowned and got up from his seat to go stand by Relena.

"I thought you said you weren't going to call the house" he pointed out.

"Well, I hadn't heard from Relena yet." she said, shrugging. "So I figured I would chance it. So, what are you doing"

"Playing a kick-ass video game." Duo grinned, slinging an arm around Relena playfully. "I didn't even know they had come out with BattleStar Armitage 3 yet."

"Just don't scratch it and we'll be okay." Bella said with a grin.

"Yes, ma'am." Duo said, saluting her and then turning to go to his game again. Belladonna just chuckled and shook her head.

"So, what are you doing, Relena? Margie drove you stark raving mad yet"

"Finishing up some proposals for tomorrow." she said. "I'm leaving in two days to go back."

"You're not staying till the end of the week"

"No. Lady Une thinks it is time for me to get back, and Heero agrees." she said. "So my hands are tied. I'm sure you've heard that the Senators passed your father's proposals today, much to everyone's surprise."

"They found a financial backer for the whole bunch" Bella asked, surprised.

"Quatre Winner." Relena said with a grin. "When we had lunch together, he told me he was going to take care of it until you decided to show your face again."

"Oh, thank heaven" Bella grinned. "I owe him big time."

"I am inclined to agree with you." Relena said. "He was supposed to stay neutral, but when SaucierCorp. was forced to pull the funding for the space colony development on L3, he picked up the slack."

"Oh, you don't know how much I love that little Arabian cutie right now." Bella said happily.

"Well, he's not to happy with you at the moment." Relena said. "When we told him you'd just up and left, he got worried. Then he got mad when we couldn't give him a reason as to why."

"Quatre Winner got mad" Bella asked skeptically. "I find that hard to believe." Relena just shrugged and shook her head.

"Well, as mad a Quatre can get." she amended.

"Don't worry about it, I'll see him day after tomorrow anyway." Bella said. "I'm meeting with him to sign some space mining contracts. I'll be sure and apologize profusely to him."

"See that you do. He's helping us all out right now." the blonde woman said. "Anyway, Duo said you wanted to talk to me about something. What is it"

"I just wanted to apologize for leaving in such a huff the other day." she said. "Things are getting sticky right now, and I don't need to be in the city. Then, I find out from Maxwell that you guys are digging up dirt on me from a couple years ago. What's up with that, Relena? If you didn't trust me, you just had to say so."

"It's not that." Relena said quickly, not wanting the other woman to get the wrong idea. "I was concerned, and your father wouldn't tell me anything."

"Yeah, the guy wouldn't tell us nothing." Duo grumbled as he walked back over to Relena and looked at the woman on the screen.

"Well, if you want to know, then I'll give you the basic overview." she said, sighing. "Are you alone"

"Heero is in the room, and Duo." Relena said. "But no one else, why"

"I don't need half the household hearing about this again." she said, biting her lip. She was obviously nervous about whatever she was going to tell them, but forged on ahead. "But you deserve an explanation. And if I can guess correctly, Yuy already knows what I'm about to tell you anyhow. Am I correct, Heero"

"Hn." the stoic man said. He'd received another call from Sally earlier that day. And she'd informed him of who the third fatality in that crash had been. After that, things had started to fall into place quite nicely.

"What about you, Duo" Belladonna asked, peering at the violet eyed man beside Relena.

"Not a clue." the braided Preventor huffed.

"What happened, Bella" Relena asked. "I hate thinking that there is a way for me to help you out of this."

"Okay, sit down, Relena." Belladonna said, settling back into her own chair. "A couple of years ago, I was dating a man that worked for the New Orleans Preventors, Joseph Gaylan. But, before he was with me, he was with Maria Sanchez. She was the only child of Manuel Sanchez, one of the Senators who was giving you and daddy such a hard time. Well, the day of the wreck, Maria and I had some words, and Joseph and I left. Maria had moved on to a new guy by then, Justin Bienville."

"Bienville" Relena asked, remembering the surname from before. "Is he..."

"He was Phillip's younger brother." she said with a grimace. "Anyhow, apparently Maria had convinced him that I had stole Joseph right out from under her nose...which was partly true. She was mad, and decided that if she couldn't have Joseph, then I wouldn't have him either. Justin, on the other hand, was attached to Maria at the hip, always had been. And he was willing to do whatever she wanted him to do. They followed us out of the city, and tried to run us off the road. The accident was Justin and Maria's fault. Both of them were drunk and in no shape to be driving. Unfortunately, Justin and Joseph were both killed. Maria was put into a coma and died a few months later."

"The paper clipping said that there were three fatalities that day during the crash." Relena said. "Who was the third"

"Christopher J. Gaylan." she said quietly.

"A family member of your boyfriend's" Relena asked, not quite making the correct connection Bella was trying to get at.

"Something like that." she said sadly, a sheen of tears forming in her eyes. "He was our son."

"He was your what" Relena asked, not quite sure she had heard correctly.

"Please tell me she didn't just say what I think she said." Duo groaned, slapping his forehead. There had been absolutely nothing in her file about her having a child, at least not that he remembered.

"My son." she repeated. "I was pregnant when we had the crash. The injuries it caused forced my body to abort the baby."

"I didn't know." Relena said. "I'm sorry. I didn't think we'd..."

"It's okay." Belladonna said, sighing. "I've had time to numb the pain a little."

"Your son..."

"Nice little shocker, isn't it" Bella asked. "Anyhow, whoever it is that trashed my office knows what happened, and I don't really want that story to be printed up in the tabloids, if you know what I mean. My dad has finally accepted it, and so has Joseph's family. I don't want it to be brought up front and center again. It would crush them all."

"Who all knew about it" Duo asked. "If you've kept it under wraps as well as you say, it had to be someone close to you who talked."

"My family knows. Dad, Rita, and Marge." she said. "Joseph's family knows, and I think Maria's father found out. That's it as far as I know."

"Would Joseph's family squeal" Relena asked. "Maybe they were the leak."

"No, they wouldn't do that." she said. "I know them well enough. Now, Sanchez on the other hand is more than likely the culprit. He blames me for Maria's death, and rightly so I suppose."

"Does he have access to your building, though" Relena asked. "Can he get in"

"No, he can't. As a matter of fact, he's been banned from the place for quite some time now." Belladonna said. "I don't know who it could be."

"Are you going to ask for an investigation" Relena asked.

"Possibly, when I get back." she said. "I'm not in any rush right now. When things calm down, I'll get on it. For now, all I can do is stay out of sight."

"Is there anything I can help you with" Relena asked. "You name it, and you've got it."

"There's nothing really." she said. "Just keep an eye on Margie for the next few days for me, if she does anything abnormal give me a call."

"You really think she's got something to do with this, don't you" Duo asked.

"It's just speculation. But I don't trust Margie any further than I can throw her." Belladonna said, a frown on her face.

About that time, Heero snapped to attention and looked out the window, where a set of headlights were coming up the driveway.

"We've got company." he said, nodding to Duo. The two men slipped out the library door silently to go inspect who it was.

"Who's there" Bella asked.

"Probably just your dad and step-mom." Relena said with a shrug. "They went to a movie earlier, and it's probably them right now." A few moments later, Duo came back into the room.

"It's just Mr. and Mrs. Covington." he stated, shrugging. "They want to see you, Relena. I told them I'd come and get you."

"Where's Heero" Relena asked.

"Talking to Covington." Duo said. Relena just nodded and turned back to the screen.

"Duty calls." she said with a shrug. "Are you sure you're going to be okay, Bella"

"I'll be fine." the young woman said. "Nothing I can't handle."

"It's what you can handle that I'm worried about." Relena said. "Take care of yourself, okay"

"Will do, your majesty." Bella said, mock bowing to the other woman. "Your wish is my command."

"You are entirely too lighthearted about this, you know" Relena said with a shake of her head.

"This coming from the woman who used to get death threats on a periodic base and still refused to keep her mouth shut." Bella countered sassily.

"She's got you there, Princess." Duo commented lazily as he walked over to the vidcam. "You're nothing if not persistent."

"Thank you, both." Relena said, ignoring the jab. "That's enough out of the peanut gallery."

"I try." Belladonna called out as Relena walked out the room. The Vice-Foreign Minister made no sign of recognition of the last comment, and simply shut the door behind her.

"So, what's going on where you're at" Duo asked, looking at her carefully.

Truth be told, he was shocked to find out that she had lost a child not too long ago. But, in his mind, it justified the way she acted to some extent. He'd known people who, after the war, had immersed themselves into their work if only to escape the ever present fact that someone they loved had died and left them forever. He'd been one of those very people for some time...at least until his little stint with Hilde.

"Nothing at all, I'm afraid." Bella said, sighing. "Just keeping up with what is going on down there. You"

"Still trying to avoid your sister." he muttered absently.

"Margie giving you problems" she asked, although the glare Duo sent her would have answered her question had she not known the answer herself.

"She's annoying! And she won't take a hint" Duo fumed. "What do I have to do? Spell it out in big green letters? I don't want the girl anywhere near me."

"Red would work better, actually." Bella said primly. "Margie's color blind." Duo just groaned and pulled up a chair to sit in.

"Thanks for that little tidbit of info." he said sarcastically.

"Anytime."

"So, Quatre said you had to meet him..."

"Mr. Maxwell" came an annoyingly familiar voice from the door. Duo spun around right about the same time that Belladonna realized who it was and cut the visual connection to the vidcam so she couldn't be seen. "Mr. Maxwell? Duo"

"I'm right here." Duo said, his teeth grating together in an effort not to puke at Marguerite’s syrupy voice. The woman in question only grinned and walked over to him before depositing a laptop computer case on a nearby table. "Did you need something, Ms. Covington"

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything." she said, nodding towards the vidcam's flashing red light that signaled it was in use.

"I was talking to someone." he said firmly.

"With no visual" Margureite asked, her eyebrows raised in suspicion. "That's odd."

"Well, I called at a bad time and she's not dressed at the moment." Duo said blandly. "Just got out of the shower, you know." Margureite only nodded and brushed the comment off before unzipping the case to pull out a state-of-the-art laptop computer.

"Well, then I won't take up your time." she said sweetly. Duo wanted to gag. "I wanted to know if you would have a look at my laptop."

"Something the matter with it" he asked, figuring the quickest way to get her away was to take the stupid piece of equipment from her.

"I lent it to a friend, a guy I'm going out with tonight, and I think he managed to download some sort of virus into it." she pouted. "He took it to a tech. specialist and they couldn't do anything with it. I was hoping maybe you could."

"I'll have a look at it." he said, slipping it back into the leather case. "But if a computer specialist couldn't do anything, then I doubt I will be able to."

"Well, I remember my sister saying that you had helped her with some computer problems on her laptop, and I figured I'd ask you." Margureite said. "If you don't mind of course."

"I'll look at it when I get some free time." Duo reassured her.

"Thanks." she said, nodding as she walked towards the door. "I really do appreciate it, Duo."

"Not a problem." he gritted out as she walked out the door and shut it behind her. "Any blasted time." Behind him, the vidcam visual returned and Bella frowned.

"Still after you, huh" she asked comfortingly. "She is persistent."

"And dense." Duo muttered, plopping down into the chair and popping the latch to open the laptop. The screen flickered to life, and Duo waited for it to boot up. Outside, another set of headlights flooded the room, and Duo walked over to peek out.

"Who is it" Belladonna asked. "Daddy and Rita leaving again"

"No." Duo frowned. "Your sister is leaving with some guy."

"Who is it" Bella asked. "Who is stupid enough to take that little girl on a date"

"Actually, I think it was that guy you fired." Duo said. "Fleck something-or-other."

"Neil" Bella asked, seemingly stunned. "What's Fleck doing at that house, and with my snake of a sister"

"No clue." Duo muttered, waiting for the computer to finish booting up. "Don't tell me you are actually worried about who she's dating"

"No. I'm wondering how much havoc they can both wreck when together." she replied sarcastically.

"Apparently a good bit, especially if he was the one she lent this computer out to." Duo said, his eyes focused entirely on the screen in front of him, and a surprised look on his face. "I think we found out who's been trying to hack into your company system."

"Why do you say that" Bella asked. Duo just turned the laptop around and set it on the table where Bella could see it.

On the black screen, there were numerous little white boxes that kept flying around unit they finally spelled out three words.

TRY AGAIN SUCKER! NO ONE GETS PAST THE GREAT SHINIGAMI!

"Isn't that..."

"Yep." Duo said with a frown. "It's the virus I built into your computer networking defenses when I helped you get things going after you were attacked."

"That damn little bitch."

-

A/N - I do hope everyone can forgive me for taking so long to update. This chapter seems kind of...scattered or broken...to me. I don't know. Things have been hectic, but it's getting better. Add to the fact that today is my birthday, and everything is all a little better! ;)

Please remember to review.