Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

 

Rating: NC 17

 

Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC

 

Pairing: 2x1

 

Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.

 

Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!

 

Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai.

 

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/gwyaoi.html

 

Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.

 

Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*

 

 

" Equinity "

 

October 2004 ShenLong

 

 

Chapter 16

 

Duo tossed both his and Heero's pants into the washing machine and left the cycle to run its course whilst tending to Zero. The horse was starting to look a lot happier and although still limping, the swelling had almost gone completely from the cannon bone, but puffiness remained around the fetlock joint though. Duo explained that this was what he'd expected given the injury to the joint, ligaments and tendons. More of the liniment was applied, Heero wrinkling his nose again in disgust as he fed Zero the much adored carrots.

 

"Any idea as to how long before he's sound again?" Heero asked as Zero dribbled carrot out of his mouth. "Greedy bugger, that's what you get for trying to cram more in your gob than you can chew," Heero chastised the horse.

 

Zero ignored him, concentrating on chewing the carrots he had stuffed into his mouth and searching Heero for more.

 

Duo chuckled from his position crouched on the floor, rubbing in the liniment. "Just as long as he doesn't dribble any of that slobber into my hair, I'll be happy." Duo ducked as a piece of carrot came flying his way. "No fair! I can't defend myself," he protested as Heero tossed another carrot piece his way.

 

Zero, it seemed, didn't like having his carrots tossed away either and let Heero know it with a soft nip to his leg.

 

"Ow!" yelped Heero and rubbed his leg

 

Duo snickered and Zero turned his liquid brown eyes to the vet, nuzzling him gently.

 

"Traitor," muttered Heero.

 

"Serves you right," sniggered Duo.

 

"You still didn't answer my question, Duo, and you..." Heero fixed Zero with a steely gaze. "Anymore nipping and you won't get anymore carrots."

 

Zero just wuffled and nudged his master. He knew an idle threat when he heard it.

 

"Hard to say, Heero," replied Duo as he stood up and eased the kinks from his back. "At this rate of recovery I'd say about another six weeks and he should be sound. Then he'll need about another four before you start to put him back into work again and then it must only be slow work at first to see how the leg holds up."

 

"So you think he will be able to compete again?" asked Heero as he led the horse from the crush and to his stable.

 

"I can't see any reason why not. Everything is going along well at this stage and if it continues to do so, and he shows no signs of soreness then I have no doubt that he will compete again. A lot will depend on when you put him back into work and what sort of work plan you have for him." Duo followed the pair to the stable and closed the door as Heero exited.

 

"That's good news then. If you don't mind, Duo, when it comes time to put him back into work I'd like your input on the work program I should follow," replied Heero as he hung up the lead rope.

 

"I'd be happy to advise you, Heero, although I do warn you when it comes to the ridden side of things I'm not all that knowledgeable."

 

"I value your input; you'd know best if what I map out would be too strenuous or put undue strain on the joint or injured tissues," stated Heero as he followed the vet out of the stable block and back to the house.

 

"No problem."

 

"Thanks." Heero leaned in and stole a kiss.

 

"You're welcome. Now, I have to pop these clothes on the line and then get ready for evening consults," smiled Duo as he headed inside the house.

 

***

 

The evenings consults passed quickly, another steady stream of clients rolled through the door, not as many as the previous evening but enough to keep Heero occupied and Duo grateful for the help. Kip's owner turned up to fetch the dog which had recovered well from his operation. Duo gave the owner a slip of paper with the general post operative care instructions on it and told the man to bring the dog back if he had any concerns, otherwise he'd see him in ten days to remove the stitches.

 

Heero had just finished loading a client's details into the computer when the young girl that owned Fluffy turned up. Heero asked her to wait until Duo had finished with his current client as he wasn't sure what Duo wanted to do in regards to the account for the kitten or anything else relating to the cat. The young girl nodded and took a seat.

 

Duo stepped out of the consulting room a couple of minutes later, chatting quietly to the young lady about her dog. Placing the folder down on the hatch top he turned to speak with Heero, only to be stopped by the accountant.

 

"Fluffy's owner is here," Heero said quietly.

 

"Oh. Thanks, Heero." Duo turned back to the young woman. "Heero here will sort you out, Mrs. Thompson. He'll book Dusty in for you on a day that's convenient for you and explain the pre-op procedure." Turning back to Heero, Duo spoke to his boyfriend. "Dusty here needs to be booked in for a tumor removal; second drawer down has the pamphlets with the pre-op information on them. Can you give Mrs. Thompson one, please, and go through it with her?"

 

Heero nodded. He wasn't sure about this as he hadn't a clue when it came to pre-op, post-op or any other procedure, but he'd try.

 

"Thank you. Now if you will excuse me, Mrs. Thompson, I have another client I need to see."

 

"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell," replied Mrs. Thompson and flashed a warm smile before turning to Heero.

 

Heero watched Duo step into the waiting room and beckon the young girl to follow him, walking back down the hallway and out of Heero's sight, presumably to the kennels. Heero didn't envy Duo this side of the veterinary life. He turned his attention back to Mrs. Thompson and the dog. "When would you like to bring Dusty in?"

 

Having booked the dog in for early next week, Heero found the pamphlet that Duo had asked him to give the woman and he patiently went through it with her. As he read it so he found it wasn't all that hard to follow and understand; it had obviously been written in simple terms so that anyone could follow it easily.

 

Mrs. Thompson asked a couple of questions, luckily they were fairly simple and Heero was able to answer them all right, before she paid her bill and left. There wasn't anyone else waiting so Heero took the opportunity to log in all the payments for the evening into the computer program. He glanced at the clock, noting it was time to close and with there being no immediate sign of Duo returning, Heero took it upon himself to finish up. He went into the waiting room and turned the sign on the door to closed, locking the door as he did so. Then he tidied up the magazines and swept the floor as best he could with one hand. Walking through into the consulting room, he sprayed the table down and wiped it clean. He was about to start collecting all the used utensils ready for the autoclave when he heard Duo come back out of the kennels. Not wanting to intrude but curious all the same, he moved to the doorway and stepped out on the pretense of going to open the door for the young girl. He glanced down the hallway and felt his heart crack.

 

The young girl walked beside Duo, her eyes red and puffy from her tears. Duo carried Fluffy, wrapped in the soft blanket and had a sad look on his face. "Thanks, Heero," Duo murmured as his boyfriend held the door open for them.

 

Heero watched as Duo accompanied the girl outside and over to the one remaining car in the parking area. The girl got in and Duo carefully passed her the cat. Heero noted the exchange of words and sad smile on Duo's face as the vet retreated from the car and turned to walk back to the surgery. The car's engine started and the vehicle backed out of its place and left the surgery. As Duo walked back in so Heero placed a hand to Duo's shoulder. "You okay?"

 

"Yeah, I'm fine, Heero." Duo raised a hand to cover the one on his shoulder. "Thanks."

 

"No problem. I'm here for you, Duo, if you need me."

 

Duo gave him a grateful smile. "Let's get cleaned up and go eat, then I think we should sit in the lounge, watch some television and just vegetate."

 

Heero laughed. "I can handle that and most of the cleaning up is already done."

 

"Heero, you're a life saver." Duo wound his arms around Heero and hugged him. He was tired, the explanation and subsequent comforting of the young girl about her kitten had drained the last of his reserves and all he wanted to do was take a hot shower, eat a hot meal and relax on his couch with the hot guy who was currently in his arms. He kissed Heero's neck. "Thank you," he whispered against Heero's skin.

 

A smile found Heero's mouth with those softly spoken words and breaking the embrace a moment later, he eagerly helped Duo to finish up with the cleaning and head back to the house.

 

***

 

The next morning was pretty much a repeat of the previous one with Heero requiring Duo's assistance to dress himself for his interviews. The slacks had dried and Duo had even run the iron over them, something that amazed even him as he hated ironing. Heero had helped him with Zero's treatment and cleaning up of the stable so things were moving along quite fast. Breakfast had been a simple meal of cereal and the dishes had been done. Heero had plenty of time to get ready which was just as well given his one armed state. He couldn't wait until the sling came off and the shoulder had healed enough for him to be able to start and use it again, even if it was only for a little bit of typing. His doctor's appointment was the following day and Heero hoped that the sling would come off then.

 

"There you go, Heero," said Duo as he finished tying the tie and smoothed it down.

 

"Arigato."

 

"I take it that means thanks?"

 

"Hai. And that means yes," Heero smiled. "Sorry, I seem to forget sometimes and slip in the odd word."

 

"It's okay, I find it quite romantic," said Duo and then blushed.

 

Heero leaned in and kissed the tip of Duo's nose. "I'd be lost without you," he murmured.

 

"Nah, you'd have coped, Heero."

 

"I have my doubts. But, thank you anyway."

 

"You got everything?"

 

"Hai."

 

"Good luck, Heero."

 

Heero walked out to the car, Duo right behind him. He unlocked the vehicle and dropped the file with all his details to the seat and turned around to give Duo a hug and kiss. "I'm not sure how long the interviews will take."

 

"That's okay, just come on back when you're done and let me know how it all went. I should be either here at the house or in the surgery depending on what time you get back."

 

"Okay." Heero released his boyfriend and got into the car, Duo stepped back and watched as Heero drove away, waving until the car was out of sight, then he turned around and went back inside to prepare for his morning's work.

 

***

 

The drive to the first interview was pleasant enough, the country lanes dappled with sunlight and Heero found the offices of 'Fairbrother's Accountants' quite easily. He parked the car and made sure he was neat and tidy before going inside. The warm smile of the receptionist put him at ease and the interview itself went pretty well in Heero's estimation. The manager, Mr. Fairbrother, seemed pleased with his credentials and didn't appear overly concerned with Heero's injury, although he did ask a lot of questions. Heero replied as honestly as he could, explaining about his fall and the doctors report. With the interview over and Mr. Fairbrother promising to let Heero know that afternoon, they shook hands and Heero left.

 

Glancing at his watch as he pulled into the parking area for his next interview, Heero noted he was forty five minutes early. He knew he wanted to appear keen, but not desperate! He decided to go and get a cup of coffee at the little cafe back down the road. It would pass the time and help calm the butterflies in his stomach.

 

Sipping on his flat white he watched the people around him as they went about their daily tasks. It was a typical country type town, the women coming in to do their shopping and catch up on the local gossip, the shop keepers providing that gossip and Heero couldn't help the smile on his face. This is why he loved the country and hated the city, it was all too much rushing around; no one had time for anything other than getting from one place to the next as quickly as possible. Here in the outer lying villages, people knew each other by name, would stop and say hello when they passed you in the street and the work all still got done.

 

No, Heero certainly didn't want to go back to living in the city; not if he could help it. He checked his watch again and finished his drink; by the time he walked back up the road to the offices he would be five minutes early. The sun was warm on his back, perfect riding weather he thought to himself, not that he would be riding for a while. The door to the office came into view and Heero paused at a shop window to check that his tie was straight and his hair not too messy. Since Duo had washed it so thoroughly it was behaving itself a little better. Taking a deep breath, Heero pushed the door open and entered the offices of 'Prescott and Associates'.

 

Ten minutes later and with a scowl on his handsome features, Heero was back out in the street. Needless to say the interview hadn't gone well. The young Mr. Prescott had taken one look at Heero's injured arm and made his mind up there and then that Heero wouldn't be suitable. He pretty much told him so too, not in so many words but clear enough for Heero to get the message. Heero wasn't even given the chance to present his credentials let alone explain about the injury. To say he was pissed would be an understatement. He was livid. He walked back down the road to the cafe and ordered another coffee, he didn't trust himself driving whilst he felt as angry as he did; no, he needed to calm down a little first.

 

The pub was out of the question, as much as Heero would have loved to down a cold beer he didn't, the memories of his last association with alcohol were still fresh in his mind and he didn't want a repeat performance. Far better to have a coffee and take his anger out on the little sugar sachet. It took Heero three coffees and an hour and a half to calm down enough to drive back to Duo's without risking the car or himself. When he pulled into the vet's driveway and around to the back, he wasn't surprised to see a few cars still in the parking area of the surgery. Duo should have closed by now but Heero guessed he must have had a busy morning.

 

Rather than disturb the vet whilst he was working, Heero got out of the car and went to the paddock to see Zero. Somehow it always helped to talk when he was upset and for so long now there had only been him and Zero that he'd taken to talking to the horse. It was calming in a way, he could give vent to his inner turmoil, thoughts and feelings without being criticized, condoned or berated. Zero simply listened, didn't offer anything other than companionship, a friendly ear and the occasional search of his person for carrots.

 

If Zero had replied then Heero would have seriously begun to doubt his sanity.

 

No doubt others would if they ever found out that he talked to a horse.

 

Zero was standing under the gum tree, his tail idly swishing at the flies. He gave a soft whicker of greeting when he saw his master walking across the paddock towards him and rubbed his eye against his foreleg to discourage the flies that seemed hell bent on sucking the moisture from it. As his master stopped next to him so Zero raised his head a little and rubbed against his master.

 

"Thanks a lot, Zero," scolded Heero as he observed the dirty mark that now adorned his shirt. He gently pulled the gray ears. "Flies giving you a hard time, hey, boy?"

 

Zero shook his head, scattering a few of the beasties that delighted in making his life hell only to have them return a few moments later.

 

"I'll have to get your fly veil [1] for you." Heero continued to stand next to his horse and gently brush the flies away from the sensitive eyes as he contemplated his morning. He remained in the paddock for a good half hour, just talking to Zero and confiding in the horse. He didn't see Duo approaching, so lost in his thoughts and it wasn't until Zero raised his head and whinnied that he realized the vet was coming towards them.

 

***

 

Duo closed the front door to the surgery and turned the sign around to read closed. He let a sigh escape and ran a hand through his bangs. It had been an unusually busy morning and quite frankly he was glad to see the back of the last client. He groaned as he looked at the paperwork sitting on the desk, all the details waiting to be logged into the computer. He really didn't feel up to sorting through it all now. What he really wanted was a nice cold drink and to sit down and put his feet up for a bit. "Ah, fuck it," he said to the computer and paperwork. "I'll do you later." Striding through to the consult room, he performed the usual clean up tasks and then hung his white coat up. Turning off the lights he exited the building and walked back towards the house. He wondered about Heero, how the interviews had gone and if the man was back yet.

 

Walking through the house and into the kitchen, Duo peered through the window and noticed his car there. That meant that Heero was home. "Heero?" Duo called as he went through to the hallway. He didn't receive an answer. Obviously Heero wasn't in the house so Duo headed outside. As he crossed the parking area towards the stable block he suddenly spotted Heero in the paddock with his horse and changed direction. Hands shoved in his pockets, he strolled across the grass towards the pair trying to gauge Heero's mood. As he drew close so Zero whinnied and Duo noticed Heero's head raise and a smile cross his lips. Well, that didn't look too bad.

 

"Hey," said Heero softly as he turned to face the vet.

 

"Been back long?" asked Duo.

 

"About half an hour or so. There were cars still in the surgery car park so I gathered you were busy and didn't want to disturb you."

 

"Yeah, it was a busy morning," replied Duo and ran a hand through his bangs. "Want some lunch?"

 

"Not really hungry."

 

"How did the interviews go?" Duo knew he'd struck a nerve by the way Heero flinched at the mention of the word interview. He placed a gentle hand to Heero's arm. "Come on back to the house and tell me what happened over lunch."

 

"Duo, I'm really not hungry."

 

"That's okay, you can do the talking whilst I do the eating."

 

Heero looked into the amused violet eyes of the vet and shook his head. "Sorry, I'm being an idiot. Come on, I'll tell you all that happened."

 

***

 

Duo munched on his sandwich whilst Heero filled him in on the morning's interviews and scowled when Heero reiterated what had happened with the Prescott guy. "Fucking asshole," snapped Duo. "Those sorts of people should be banned from hiring people."

 

"It wouldn't be so bad if he'd simply come out and said that given my injury they couldn't employ me at this time as they need an able bodied person but would at least look at my credentials and keep me on file should whomever they employ not work out."

 

"Yeah, I can see what you mean. It stinks that they have to make excuses instead of simply stating the truth."

 

"It just makes me so mad," said Heero and took a drink of his orange juice. "I had three coffees before I was calm enough to drive back here."

 

Duo snickered. "Only three? Would have taken me at least four; and they would have been double shot espressos."

 

Heero's eyes widened. "Shit! You'd give yourself a caffeine overdose."

 

Duo just grinned. "Nah, I'd be bouncing off the walls, or better still have my fist bouncing off that asshole's jaw."

 

Shaking his head, Heero laughed, feeling his anger drain away with Duo's antics. The 'phone in the lounge rang and Duo got up to answer it. Heero couldn't hear anything of the conversation and didn't like to listen in anyway, so he got up and fetched the carton of orange juice out from the 'fridge and refilled their glasses. Placing the carton back in the 'fridge he snagged an apple and began to eat it whilst waiting for Duo to return.

 

Duo walked back into the kitchen, a smile on his face.

 

"Good news?" asked Heero.

 

"In a manner of speaking it is I suppose. That was a Mr. Fairbrother."

 

Instantly Hero straightened in his seat. "Oh?"

 

"He wanted to know if I knew a Heero Yuy and what he was like," grinned Duo.

 

"And?" Heero's eyes shone with anticipation.

 

"I told him that I did, in fact he was my boyfriend, a thorough gentleman and not bad in the sack either."

 

"W... what!?" Heero looked shell shocked.

 

Duo broke into hysterical laughter. "Oh, Heero. If you could only see your face!" Duo continued to laugh as he sat down.

 

"You didn't!?"

 

"Nah, I'm just messing with you, Heero."

 

Heero looked very relieved.

 

"It was a Mr. Fairbrother though and he did ask about you so I told him the truth. I said that I'd known you for a while, that you had helped me out with the computer and reset my programs for me and that you were a hard working, honest, all round nice guy."

 

Heero felt his face color with those words. "Thanks."

 

"No worries. He sounded like a nice bloke and he at least took the trouble to call so he must have been impressed with you, Heero. I think you might stand a chance there; looks like you made it to the second round anyway," Duo said and finished off his sandwich.

 

"Yeah, he was a decent guy and liked what he read in my resume. You could be right, Duo. At least he didn't brush me off like the others did. He asked a lot of questions and I was honest with my answers..."

 

"Well, there you go then," smiled Duo and stood up to take his plate to the sink. He dropped a kiss to Heero's head as he walked past.

 

"I hope he calls back soon." Heero felt as if he was sitting on hot bricks now. To know that one of the interviewers had been interested enough to call for further validation of his credentials and references gave him a little more hope, and Mr. Fairbrother had seemed like a reasonable man. All Heero could do now would be to wait and see if he got a 'phone call.

 

***

 

The afternoon passed fairly quickly, despite Heero's being on tenterhooks. Duo knew his boyfriend was bound to be nervous and edgy, waiting for a 'phone call and so he did his best to keep the guy occupied. Knowing that distraction was the only way to keep his mind off the issue of Mr. Fairbrother, Heero willingly accepted the little jobs that Duo asked him to do. He patiently went through all the clients' files from the morning and loaded them onto the computer, finishing off by balancing the books for Duo. He was pleased to note that Duo's books were beginning to look reasonably healthy, at least for this week anyway.

 

He typed up the outstanding accounts and popped them into envelopes, carefully addressing them and putting them ready to post. With the paperwork out of the way, Heero took up Duo's offer to go with him into the town to the post office to mail off the accounts and do a little food shopping. He found it quite relaxing wandering around the store with Duo, pushing the trolley that for once decided to behave.

 

Purchases made, Duo loaded the bags of groceries into the car and accompanied Heero to the saddlery store so he could purchase a new fly veil for Zero. They weren't expensive and it would be cheaper to buy a new one than waste the petrol going back to his cottage to get the other one. With the fly veil bought, they headed back to the surgery.

 

Heero gave Duo a hand to unload and pack away the groceries, he hadn't asked about staying another night but it looked like Duo assumed he was going to, judging by what the vet left out to cook for dinner. Before Heero could question Duo, his cell 'phone rang.

 

Duo looked up from where he was currently rummaging around in the pantry as he heard the sound of the 'phone. He gave Heero a reassuring smile as the Asian man unclipped the 'phone and pressed the button.

 

"Yuy speaking."

 

Duo cocked an eyebrow and sank back to sit on his heels and watch his boyfriend's face, trying to gain some clue as to what was going on with the conversation.

 

"Yes, Mr. Fairbrother. That sounds good; no, that shouldn't be a problem. Okay, I'll see you at nine on Monday. Thank you for calling, I look forward to it. Good bye." Heero pushed the disconnect button and looked at Duo, a soft smile on his lips.

 

"Well?!!" Duo demanded. He could tell from Heero's face and the half conversation that it must be good news.

 

"That was Mr. Fairbrother."

 

"I gathered that much," replied Duo sarcastically. "What did he say?"

 

"I got the job."

 

"YES!" shouted Duo and pumped the air.

 

"But..."

 

"Huh? But? What do you mean, but?"

 

"It's only part time for the moment. I will be on a trial basis for a month working half shifts. If the shoulder heals up and I work out okay then they could extend it to full time."

 

"That's better than nothing, Heero," said Duo as he got up from the floor and crossed the room to his boyfriend to envelop the man in a hug and bestow a congratulatory kiss.

 

"At least it's a start. He did say at the interview that they were only looking for a part time person but I thought I might as well give it a shot. Gotta start somewhere and it will keep me fed if nothing else. I can always look for another full time job in the meantime."

 

"That you can, Heero. Like you say, it's better than nothing."

 

Heero could detect a touch of sadness in Duo's voice and swiftly pulled back a little. "Duo? Is something wrong?"

 

"No, I'm happy for you, Heero."

 

"I know you are but there's something bothering you."

 

Duo sighed, how had Heero managed to read him so well in the space of the week that they'd known each other? "It's nothing, really."

 

"Spill," demanded Heero.

 

Seeing that he wasn't about to get out of this, he gave a sheepish smile. "I guess I'm just being selfish. Now that you're working again I won't have anyone to sort out Nrobbuts for me, log my accounts and help me out."

 

"Oh, Duo. I'm only going to be working the morning shifts; I can still come here and help you out if you want me too. Although it would only be in the evenings."

 

"Actually, if you didn't succeed in getting a job today, given the way that the surgery is beginning to grow I was going to offer you a job here with me." Duo ducked his head, crimson staining his cheeks.

 

Heero caught his breath as his heart melted. Duo was going to offer him a job? He raised his hand from Duo's waist to brush over the man's cheek. "Duo, that's so sweet of you but I couldn't take money from you. I love helping you out in the surgery and even though I'm going to be working again, I'd still like to help you out if you'll let me, only I don't want paying for it."

 

"I'd really like that, Heero, and we can discuss payment later as I don't expect you to work for free." Seeing that Hero was about to protest again, Duo quickly kissed the other man to shut him up. When they surfaced for air, Heero was so dazzled that he forgot all about Duo's insistence on paying him.

 

"This calls for a celebration, Heero. How about after evening surgery I take you out for dinner?"

 

"That's awfully sweet of you, Duo, but..."

 

"No buts! I insist, okay? Now, let's get the rest of these groceries put away as evening consults start in an hour and we still have Zero to bring in and do his leg."

 

"Hai." Heero grasped Duo's arm as the vet went to walk away. "Arigato, Duo. Ai shiteru."

 

Duo cocked his head. "More Japanese?" he questioned.

 

"Hai."

 

"What does that one mean?"

 

Heero gave him a warm smile. "You'll have to look that one up for yourself," he said with a merry twinkle in his eye.

 

"Ahh... Okay then." Duo gave a grin and went back to the groceries.

 

"Ai shiteru, Duo," Heero whispered again. "Forever and always."

 

~ * ~

 

tbc.........

 

[1] Fly veil;: Nifty little invention that's usually a series of thick 'strings' attached to a band that fits across the horses brow and attaches to the halter to keep the flies out of their eyes. Nowadays here in Aus we have something a bit better which is a fine mesh with a Velcro fastening. A strap slides behind the ears whilst the Velcro fastens under the horse's jaw and completely encases the eyes and half the face. The horse can still see out with no problem but the flies can't get in.

 

To see what a fly veil looks like try these sites below.

 

http://store.horseandstable.com/flyeyecovers.html

http://tackoutlet.com/store/discount_saddles/category_59_Fly _Control_page_1.html

http://www.buckaroo.biz/acatalog/Protection_Against_Flies.ht ml