Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC
 
Pairing: 2x1
 
Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!
 
Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai and Ryouga.
 
Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com
http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/FrontPage1.html
http://adultfanfiction.net
http://www.theforsakenwk.com
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*
 
 
 
"Equinity"
 
October. 2004 ShenLong
 
 
 
Chapter 28
 
Duo waited impatiently for Heero to come home from work, pacing the kitchen and glancing at the envelope that sat on the table. Heero had attended the hearing at the Accountancy board's office over a week ago now and was still awaiting the outcome. Duo had been unable to attend with Heero, firstly because he couldn't leave the practice and secondly because he really wasn't anything to do with the case. He'd wanted to go, simply to be there to offer Heero moral support, even if it was from a cafe nearby where he'd no doubt have to wait; but it had been impossible.
 
Heero had returned still none the wiser as to the possible outcome. He'd answered the questions he'd been asked, submitted the evidence he'd needed to, including a copy of the taped conversation between himself and Donaldson. He'd been cross examined and managed to hold his dignity and his temper. Donaldson had also been questioned and Heero had taken great delight in telling Duo all about how the man had squirmed under the questions. He'd tried to deny his actions but the tape had proved to be Heero's savior; he couldn't refute the recorded evidence.
 
Heero had admitted that he hadn't handled his side of the conversation with Donaldson in the best of ways, allowing his temper to get the better of him; but he could be forgiven that little discretion under the circumstances. Heero had been pleased to see that none of the other employees had been required to attend the hearing and give evidence. He'd been concerned about dragging anyone else into the fiasco, knowing that Donaldson would make their life hell at the office once the hearing was over.
 
The committee had adjourned to discuss the case in private once all the evidence had been presented and informed the respective parties that they would be notified in due course as to the outcome of the inquiry and the board's recommendations.
 
Now it looked like the results from the inquiry were in and Duo was eager to learn the results. He heard the sound of an approaching car and rushed to the window. The noise grew louder and then Heero's car swept around the drive and to the back of the house.
 
As Heero parked the car and turned off the engine so he was accosted by an excited, braided vet. "Whoa, Duo! What's up?" Heero asked as he managed to undo his seat belt.
 
"Oh, Heero, I'm so glad you're home. There's an envelope come for you in the mail today. It's one of those big, formal looking yellow ones. I think it's from the Accountancy Board."
 
"Aa, so that's what this is all about," stated Heero as he managed to get out of the car. He could see how excited Duo was and had to admit his own heart rate had increased at the mention of whom the letter was probably from. They walked to the house together, Duo trying to get Heero to hurry.
 
"Is the kettle on, Duo? I could use a coffee," said Heero in a calm voice.
 
"No, it isn't but I can make you one after you open the letter," replied Duo.
 
"I think I'd like the coffee first," teased Heero. He could see just how much the vet was itching to know what the result was and he couldn't help but tease a little. He was secretly just as eager to know the results but couldn't resist the urge to torment his boyfriend.
 
"Heero!" Duo whined, "That's not fair. Look, I know it's really none of my business and all but I feel as if I've gone through this inquiry with you and so it sort of relates to me as well."
 
Heero took pity on the vet and wrapped his arms around the long haired man. "I know, Duo. I'm only teasing you. You have been through all this with me so you do have a right to know what the outcome is. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be teasing you like this." Heero placed a kiss to Duo's neck. "Forgive me?"
 
"Mmmm... I'll have to think about that," replied Duo as his insides began to flutter. "You can make it up to me later, for now though I want you to open that envelope and see what the board has decided."
 
"Yes, boss," Heero snickered and released the vet. He picked up the envelope from the table and sat down, Duo sat opposite him, an expectant look on his face. Heero tore open the envelope and extracted the contents, unfolded the letter and began to read.
 
Whilst Heero was perusing the letter, Duo fidgeted in his seat and tried to gain some clue by reading Heero's face and eyes but the accountant managed to keep his face neutral so Duo didn't have a clue as to whether the news was good or bad.
 
Eventually Heero finished reading and dropped the letter to the table, leaning back and closing his eyes for a moment.
 
"Well?!" Duo demanded, unable to keep his frustration at bay any longer.
 
Heero's face broke out into a smile, a genuine, from the heart, smile. "It's all good, Duo. Here, read for yourself." Heero passed the letter over and closed his eyes again, the smile still playing over his lips.
 
Duo took the letter, relief flooding his body. Skimming over the formal top part he got straight to the guts of the matter.
 
Dear Mr. Yuy,
 
It is with great pleasure that I write to inform you of the Accountancy Board's decision in case 421 - Yuy versus Donaldson of Browning Smith and Donaldson.
 
After reviewing all the evidence submitted and the statements from both parties it is the board's decision that Mr. Donaldson acted in a manner that is unacceptable and unethical to the board's standards and requirements.
 
Whilst the board expected that an accountant of your experience and credibility would maintain his composure and temper, we can understand your loss of control given the circumstances. However, we do expect that you conduct yourself in a manner befitting a member of our profession in the future.
 
In relation to the case, the board finds that Mr. Donaldson's behavior in this circumstance to be out of order and it is the board's recommendation that Mr. Donaldson be required to issue a formal, written apology to you for his actions and words. He is also to receive a formal reprimand from the board and placed on probation for a period of twelve months. Should any further issues arise in regards to Mr. Donaldson's behavior towards a member of staff then the board reserves the right to terminate his affiliation with the board and revoke his license to practice as an accountant.
 
Furthermore, due to the circumstances under which you resigned from the company Browning, Smith and Donaldson, the board requests that the company be forthcoming in payment of all outstanding monies owed to you from your term of employment, including holiday pay, sick pay, superannuation and two weeks wages in lieu of the usual termination notice. These monies will be paid directly to the board and we will notify you once they have been received to arrange deposit of the funds into your account.
 
Should you have any further questions in regards to this matter then please contact myself, your case manager Dorothy Catalonia who will be happy to assist.
 
Kind regards
 
Dorothy Catalonia.
 
The grin that had begun to form on Duo's face had gotten wider and wider as he read the letter. "Yes!" he stated as he dropped the letter to the table and looked at Heero. "And so they should pay you what they owe you, Heero. Good to see that that rat Donaldson is getting his just desserts too. I'd have loved to have had the chance to spend two minutes with him and my scalpel, I'd have sorted the bastard out good an proper."
 
"Would you now?" replied Heero, the smile still on his face.
 
"Yup. That prick would have been singing soprano for the rest of his life," stated Duo, his violet eyes sparkling.
 
"Castration would be too good for him, Duo. His sort are more hurt and humiliated by being forced to apologize and knowing that he's under constant observation is going to eat at him too. I'd say it's a safe bet that the rest of the staff are going to appreciate this turn of events as well and that they will be doing their level best to make certain that he doesn't put a foot out of line. I'd say he's not even going to make the six month mark without being in trouble with the board again."
 
Duo laughed. "Serves him right. Maybe he should take lessons in personality development."
 
 
Well, he's already scored perfect marks in the asshole division."
 
Duo got up and went to sit in Heero's lap and wound his arms around his boyfriend's shoulders. "I'm glad he got what he deserved, Heero. It's great news."
 
"Hai, it is," replied Heero and snuggled a little closer to Duo.
 
"We should go out and celebrate."
 
"Your Chinese friend's place?" asked Heero as he nuzzled Duo's neck.
 
"Mmmm... Why not."
 
"You want to make a reservation, my treat?"
 
"Heero, you don't have to pay, I was going to take you out to celebrate."
 
"If you don't let me pay then I won't go."
 
Duo knew it was fruitless to argue. Once Heero had his mind set on something it was like trying to demolish a brick wall with a toothpick. He sighed. "Okay. I'll go call Wufei and make the booking. Eight okay?"
 
"If you think we will be finished with the consults by then."
 
"Should be done by seven fifteen. Correction. We WILL be done by seven fifteen."
 
"Okay then. Now, what about that coffee?"
 
"Coming right up," chuckled Duo and shifted from Heero's lap to put the kettle on.
 
***
 
Two weeks had passed since Heero received the letter from the Accountancy Board when a second letter arrived to inform him that the monies owed to him were now in the possession of the board and they required his bank account details to deposit the funds for him. Heero had happily provided the details and had been surprised at the sum he'd gotten. He went straight into the bank after finishing work and paid out what was outstanding on his loan for the purchase of his horse float. Having taken care of that piece of business, he stopped off at a cafe for a bite of lunch as Duo had a couple of 'house calls' to make and wouldn't be home until around three.
 
Sitting at the small table and sipping his coffee whilst waiting for his club sandwich, Heero spotted the pile of magazines and newspapers provided for customers to read whilst they enjoyed the quiet of the cafe. Heero picked up that day's edition of the paper and began to skim through it. He'd found his way into the advertisements section and was busy reading through the livestock column when his lunch arrived. He folded the paper so as he could continue to read whilst eating his sandwich. As his eyes scanned over the various adverts noting the different things for sale from feed to saddlery, horses, cattle and machinery, his eyes fell on an advert for a show. Eagerly he took out his notebook and pen from his briefcase and jotted down the details of the show along with the secretary's 'phone number.
 
Zero's work had increased as the horse's fitness improved and Heero was happy with the way the gray was coming along. The leg had shown no signs of heat, swelling or lameness and Heero was encouraged. The true test though would be when Zero had to face real competition. It was one thing to go around a course of jumps in the paddock at home; the show scene was entirely different.
 
Tucking his notebook and pen back into his briefcase, Heero finished his sandwich and left.
 
***
 
"You home, Heero?" Duo sang out as he entered the house. He knew Heero had to be here somewhere, the accountant's car was parked out back. When there wasn't any response to his calls, Duo searched though the house on the off chance that Heero may have been taking a shower or just busy in his room. The Japanese man wasn't anywhere to be found though so Duo concluded he must be outside, probably in the stables as Duo didn't recall seeing Heero in the paddock as he'd pulled in. Checking the answering machine for messages and finding only one, Duo left the house and went down to the stable block to find his missing boyfriend.
 
Heero had given Zero a good workout, raising the jumps to a good four feet and had been pleased with the way Zero had taken them. The horse was a natural jumper and loved every minute of his work. Happy with the way Zero had performed, Heero took the gray back to the stable block and unsaddled him. So busy had he been in tending to the horse, Heero failed to hear Duo's car pull up. He didn't know that the vet had come home until Duo stepped into the stables just as Heero was putting Zero's light rug on.
 
"There you are," said Duo as he stepped into the shade of the stables.
 
"Hey, I didn't hear you pull in," replied Heero as he finished buckling up the chest strap. "How did you go with the call outs?"
 
"Fine. Mrs. Higgins' dog's claws shouldn't need trimming again for a little while and the pig was in false labor," replied Duo as he walked into the feed shed to fetch a carrot for Zero.
 
The gray wuffled in expectation, his ears pricked and looking for Duo to reemerge. He wasn't disappointed when moments later the vet reappeared with a handful of carrots. Zero pawed at the floor in impatience, stretching his neck as far as the lead rope would allow in an attempt to get the carrots quicker.
 
Duo chuckled softly and handed a carrot to the horse. "There you go, piggy," he snickered and patted the gray neck.
 
"Piggy?" inquired Heero as he clipped up the leg straps of the rug.
 
"Even you can't deny he's a glutton when it comes to carrots," retorted Duo as he fed another to the horse. "How did he go?"
 
"Great. I put the jumps up to four foot and he sailed over everything. There's no heat in the leg and no signs of soreness. I'd say he's ready to start back on the circuit."
 
"Good." Duo gave the horse another carrot, locked in his thoughts for a moment.
 
"Something wrong, Duo?" Heero asked as he noticed the vet's distraction.
 
"Huh? Oh, no, nothing wrong, Heero."
 
"Then what's on your mind?"
 
"I was just wondering; if and when you start back out competing, won't you have to start back up in the grade you were competing in before your fall?" Duo fed Zero another carrot. "It could be a bit much for him at this stage of the game, I mean with his leg and all only really just starting to come into the tough work. There's a pretty big difference between jumping a fence of three feet and one of five foot. I know I'm not all that clued up when it comes to the intricacies of the competition and stuff but I know enough about physics to understand that even though there may only be two feet difference that two feet adds an entirely different pressure combination to the legs." Duo paused and looked at Heero to see if the man was following his line of speech.
 
"I understand exactly what you're saying, Duo and yes, what you talk about is true. Obviously the higher the obstacle the more effort is required to get over it successfully and as such when the horse comes to the landing part there is going to be a much greater force of impact to the front legs."
 
"Then how can you be sure that Zero is going to be able to take that force successfully?" Duo gave the horse the last carrot.
 
"I can't be certain of that," replied Heero, his mouth set in a grim line. "The only way to find out is to attempt it. But..." Heero wrapped an arm around Duo's waist. "I have contacted the E.F.A. and because Zero has been out of competition for over six months due to his injury, they are prepared to let me start him back off in official competition a grade lower than he's currently at. That way we will be able to see if he's going to be able to stand up to the stress and strain."
 
"At least they have their heads screwed on the right way and have a certain amount of respect for the animal," smiled Duo.
 
"I'll give them their due, Duo. In this sport the horse's welfare and safety always comes first." Heero began to untie the lead rope and lead Zero back out to the paddock, Duo walking beside him. Once the gray was back in the paddock the two men headed for the house.
 
Sitting down in the lounge room with a sandwich, Duo looked up as Heero entered, his note book in his hand. "What's up?"
 
"Just getting back to our conversation before, Duo; about Zero and competing again."
 
"Yes?"
 
"I stopped off at the bank on my way home and paid out the loan on the horse float."
 
"And?"
 
"I had a sandwich at a cafe and read the paper whilst I was there. I came across an advert for a show that's coming up in four weeks time. It's about half an hour's drive away so I thought I'd give the show secretary a call and see if I can get a program sent out and see what jumping events they have scheduled. It's an unofficial show and would be ideal to start Zero off at again and test out the leg."
 
"Ah. Now I understand," replied Duo. "What are you waiting for then? Give them a call now. You can always get them to fax you the entry form if it's quicker."
 
"Thanks." Heero headed for the 'phone to make his call. Duo watched him go, a smile on his lips.
 
A few minutes later, Heero returned a couple of sheets of paper in his hand. He sat down on the couch next to Duo, skimming over the papers.
 
"I take it they faxed the forms to you?" Duo said as he looked over Heero's shoulder.
 
"Hai, they did."
 
"Anything there suitable for Zero to compete in?"
 
"Maybe. Being as it's unofficial they haven't got the usual number of events you would expect at an official show. There's an open table AM3 jumping class that would suit Zero."
 
"Umm... Heero?"
 
"Hai?"
 
"What the hell language are you speaking here?"
 
Heero glanced up from the paper and turned a fetching shade of red. "Errr.. Sorry, Duo, I keep forgetting you're not into the horse scene as much as I am."
 
"It's okay. Just try to explain these things in plain English for me, huh? Remember, I'm a bit thick when it comes to things like tables, am's and pm's. The numbers I know, I did pass maths after all," Duo said with a chuckle.
 
Heero shook his head. "I'll try and explain it for you. Open event means anyone can enter, registered or non-registered E.F.A. The height of the fences though is usually quite big. They tend to start off around three foot six and go up for the jump off. The different types of competitions are given a different 'table' with differing rules and such for each type of table and competition. For example; a table AM3 competition means that you have to jump a pre-set course of obstacles in the order of one to however many there are. All competitors that go around the course without any jumping faults and within the time allowed go through to the jump off. The jump off is usually over a shorter course with the jumps having been raised and you're also against the clock. That way the competitor with the least number of faults in the fastest time is the winner."
 
"Ahhh..."
 
"Then you have what's called a Table AM7. In this event you again jump a pre-set course in the order of one to however many and if you clear everything, again within the time allowed, you report back to the judge and then do your jump off, against the clock over a shorter course. The fences are not raised in this event."
 
"Oh…kay."
 
"It's really not all that hard, Duo. Once you've watched a few events and been around the shows a bit you soon pick it up."
 
"I take it there's more?"
 
"Oh, yes. You have your Table C competitions and then there's your speed ones such as Time, Fault and Out, Take your own Line, Hit and Hurry and Jackpot, to name a few. You can also have a Six Bar, that's six jumps in a row with one stride in-between each fence, or a Puissance which is where one fence goes wider and another higher with each round until there's only one person left."
 
"Fucking hell! And I thought that learning the anatomy of a goldfish was hard!"
 
Heero began to laugh. "The anatomy of a goldfish?"
 
"Yeah, well. Suffice to say I didn't major in fishyology."
 
"Fishyology?" Heero quirked an eyebrow.
 
"You know what I mean," Duo gave Heero a grin. "Shit! I had no idea that there was so much involved in showjumping."
 
"There's a whole lot more to jumping than simply sitting on the horse's back and going around jumping a few fences. You have to know your competitions, the different rules and regulations as well as being able to ride the horse properly."
 
"I think I'll stick to vet science, thanks. It sounds a hell of a lot easier than this horse stuff."
 
"Oh, look," Heero suddenly said as his eyes returned to the paper he held.
 
"What?" asked Duo and craned his neck to see.
 
"They have some hacking and dressage competitions as well. There's a class here that would suit Scythe."
 
"Where?"
 
"Here." Heero proceeded to read out the details of the class. "Class six. Maiden Hack over fifteen hands. Horse and rider combination not to have won a first place anywhere in any competition."
 
"Do you think you would be able to get her fit and presentable enough for that? Would you have the time to show Scythe and jump Zero?" Duo asked as he read the details.
 
"Duo... I wasn't thinking about me showing Scythe."
 
"Then why did you? ... Oh." Duo stopped in mid sentence when he saw the way that Heero's intense blue eyes were staring at him.
 
"Ummm..." Duo had an idea of what was coming and he didn't like it.
 
"I think it would be a great opportunity for you to get some show experience, Duo."
 
"Nh uh, no way, Heero."
 
"Why not? You've had a few more lessons and you're not doing too badly."
 
"I'm not going to make a fool out of myself."
 
"You only have to sit there and go around in a circle at the walk, trot and canter."
 
"I can barely rise to the trot."
 
"Then if the judge likes you and your horse they will call you into the line up."
 
"I'd fall off at the canter. In case it's not been drawn to your notice, I can't canter, Heero."
 
"If you make it to the line up you only have to do a simple workout one at a time."
 
"I'm not going to do it."
 
"Come on, Duo. It will be fun."
 
"No, Heero. Besides, I don't have the clothing or the know how to do it. I'm better off sitting on the side lines, playing the part of cheer squad and watching you."
 
"I can lend you a pair of my jodhpurs, you already have a shirt and tie and I'm sure my jacket would fit you," Heero carried on doing his best to persuade Duo.
 
"I'm not wearing those things," Duo stated flatly.
 
"What things?"
 
"Those jodhpurs. They're almost indecent."
 
"Huh?" Now Heero looked perplexed. "What do you mean, almost indecent?"
 
"The way they fit, Heero. Surely you have noticed. They're so tight that they show off just about everything you have in the package department; errr... not that I'm complaining about the sight of you in them, no way. You have a nice package, one to be proud of; but it's like those guys in the ballet with their tights, they leave nothing to the imagination and I don't want to be prancing around showing off my assets to anyone and everyone. You can if you like, Heero. You do have a nice package if I might say so, and ass and all and it shows up really well in those things... Ummm... You got a ladder there so I can climb out of this hole I've dug myself into?" Duo had turned a rather fetching shade of red as he gave vent to his feelings about jodhpurs, not realizing just how far he'd gone with his comments.
 
Heero's blue eyes were twinkling as they studied the embarrassed vet. "I have a nice package, do I?"
 
"Ummm..."
 
"So you've been checking out my assets instead of concentrating on learning to ride or watching Zero's legs whilst I work him?"
 
"Not exactly. I have been watching Zero's legs and paying attention to you when you're giving me a lesson, but it's hard not to be distracted when you're wearing those skin tight things." Duo thought if he got any redder he'd spontaneously combust.
 
"I see," said Heero with a smirk as he folded his arms across his chest and leaned back in the chair, stretching his long legs out in front of him and spreading them a little. He still had his jodhpurs on from riding and took a quick glance at himself. What Duo had said was right, they were tight and didn't leave a whole lot to the imagination.
 
"Do you have to do that?"
 
"What?" Heero asked in all innocence.
 
"Sit there like... Oh, hell, you know what I mean," growled Duo.
 
"No, I don't," teased Heero, watching the young vet squirm.
 
"Bastard!" Duo lunged forwards and kissed Heero savagely, lowering his hand to the dark haired man's groin and thoroughly groping him through those jodhpurs.
 
***
 
Fifteen minutes later, Heero picked up the papers from where they'd landed on the floor and tried to straighten his clothing. Duo lay sprawled on the couch, his jeans still unzipped and a sated smile on his face. "You sure I can't change your mind, Duo?" Heero asked as he ran his fingers through his disheveled hair.
 
"Nope. I flatly refuse to compete and nothing you can say or do will get me to change my mind or get me into a pair of those," replied Duo as he nodded towards Heero's jodhpurs. "It's going to take all my self control not to molest you at a show as it is."
 
Heero chuckled. "I don't mind being molested by you." Heero leant over his boyfriend and placed a kiss to those sweet lips. "I'll go fill out the entry form and send it off."
 
"I'll go start to bring in the horses, once I've regained some strength," murmured Duo as he closed his eyes and enjoyed the happy thrum of his satisfied body.
 
"I'll help you once I get back from posting the entry."
 
***
The day of the show came around quicker than Heero thought it would. He'd spent the last two weeks working Zero harder, mostly on the flat with only a few jumps here and there. He wanted to be sure that the horse had every chance with his leg and had pushed Zero in every way he could think of to test the leg out. So far Zero had come through with flying colors.
 
Duo had come home from a call out on the Saturday afternoon to find Heero completely soaked and Zero so clean that Duo was almost dazzled by the reflection off the gray's coat. Whilst Zero dried off, Heero had set about organizing the gear he would need for the show. Duo helped as best he could which basically meant carrying the various items out to the car and loading them up.
 
"Shit, Heero. I thought you were only going for one event," complained Duo as he bent to pick up some more gear.
 
"I am," replied Heero.
 
"Then how come you need so much stuff?"
 
"There isn't really all that much, Duo. Water bucket, haynet, saddle, bridle, jumping boots, rug, grooming kit, saddle blanket, helmet, spare girth, carrots... Ack, I almost forgot these." Heero quickly dived into the gear shed and came out holding his whip and something silver.
 
"What are those?" Duo asked as he pointed to the silver things Heero was carrying.
 
"Spurs."
 
"Ohhh... Didn't know you went in for that S & M stuff, Heero," Duo snickered.
 
"DUO!" Heero stopped dead in his tracks and turned his disbelieving eyes in the vet's direction. "I use them on Zero," he stated. "I get a better response from him when I wear these, rather than just the whip."
 
Duo petted Zero's neck. "Ahh, so you're into this S & M thing too, Zero? You get off on a little pain do you, boy? Hmmm, I never would have picked your master for being into bestiality or you into pain. Eeeep!" Duo yelped as Heero came up behind him and grabbed him around the waist.
 
"I am not into any of those things, Duo, and you know it. Now if you don't stop with the teasing I just might develop an urge to try out spanking you with my whip."
 
"You wouldn't?" Duo tried to feign being afraid but with the grin forcing its way onto his face the effect was ruined.
 
"Actually, sitting trot without any stirrups in your next riding lesson might cure you from teasing me," replied Heero, a look of mischief dancing in his eyes.
 
Duo moaned. He could feel the pain already in his balls and that was only from the threat. "You wouldn't be that cruel to me, Heero," he smirked.
 
"Just remember, it doesn't pay to piss off the riding instructor." With a quick kiss, Heero went to place the last of the items into the car and hook up to the horse float.
 
With the memories of the previous day fresh in his mind, Duo was careful not to tease Heero on the morning of the show. They rose early, even though Heero's class wasn't scheduled to begin until after lunch but Heero wanted to allow plenty of time to get to the show, find parking and allow Zero time to settle and adjust to the show scene after being away from it for so long.
 
They ate a quick breakfast of their own after giving the horses theirs. Whilst Duo cleaned up the kitchen, Heero went to get changed, putting his show clothes on and then a pair of overalls over the top to ensure he stayed clean. Duo had made them a picnic lunch of sandwiches and fruit to take and carried the basket out to the car. He popped it on the back seat while Heero checked that the float coupling was connected correctly and then dropped the tail gate in preparation for Zero to enter. Duo took Scythe out to the paddock and left her with a large haynet to munch on before going back into the stable block and cleaning out the mare's stable. Heero had Zero out of his stable and tied up to a ring in the wall whilst he cleaned out the gray's stable. Once the stables were clean, Duo put in the feeds ready for their return and refilled the water buckets. Heero fetched his floating boots and proceeded to put them on Zero.
 
"All set?" Duo asked as Heero checked the fastenings on the last boot.
 
"Hai. All ready to go." Heero untied Zero and began to lead him out to the horse float, Duo paused to pull across the sliding door to the stable block and lock it. Pocketing the key he went to give Heero a hand.
 
"Once I lead him in could you put up the tail chain behind him, please?" Heero asked as he approached the tail gate of the float.
 
"Sure," replied Duo and walked over to the side of the float in readiness.
 
"Come on, big fellow," Heero encouraged as he approached the float.
 
Zero's ears went forwards and he gave a snort. He hesitated for a second at the bottom of the ramp and then stepped on and inside the float. Duo lifted the chain and hooked it up. "You okay in there, Heero?"
 
"Fine. I'll just tie him up and then I'll give you a hand with the tail gate."
 
"Okay." Duo waited and Heero appeared a moment later. The two of them raised the tail gate and slipped the bolts home to secure it.
 
"All set?" Heero asked as he closed the front door on the float.
 
"Yup. You got everything?"
 
Heero ran a mental check list. "Hai. I can't think of anything we've missed, so let's get going." Heero walked over to the driver's door and got in. Duo followed and climbed into the passenger seat, buckling up his seat belt. Heero started the car and slowly began to move. Zero shifted a little in the float, finding his balance and then steadied to munch on his haynet.
 
"Know where you're going?" Duo asked as they pulled out onto the road.
 
"I checked the road map last night. It should take us about forty five minutes to get there."
 
"Good." Duo checked his pager was still attached to his jeans and then settled back into his seat to enjoy the ride, watching the scenery pass by.
 
It took them just over the forty five minutes to get to the showground but as Heero had allowed plenty of time they still had a couple of hours before Zero's class. Heero drove carefully across the grass and found a reasonably shady area to park in. Once he'd brought the float to a stop and turned off the car, they proceeded to unload Zero.
 
The gray came bounding down the ramp, ears pricked, eyes bulging and nostrils flared. He gave a few dancing steps, almost pulling Heero off his feet as he tossed his head around, gazing at the scene and horses around him. He snorted and pawed the ground before giving an ear piercing whinny.
 
"Someone's excited," snickered Duo as he watched the horse's antics.
 
Heero though, wasn't about to put up with any of the gray's misbehavior. He gave a sharp tug to the lead rope. "Zero! Cut it out and behave yourself," he scolded. When Zero ignored him and tried to pull Heero off to the side, Heero gave a sharper tug and a smack to Zero's neck. The gray pulled up short and turned to look at his master. "Enough! Where's your manners?" Heero growled.
 
Zero hung his head a little and allowed himself to be brought to the side of the float where Heero tied him up. He still continued to flick his ears back and forth, listening to the sounds of the show and the other horses.
 
"Anything I can do to help, Heero?" Duo asked as his boyfriend tied up the gray.
 
"Would you mind getting the water bucket out and filling it up for me, please? I think I saw a tap just over there on the side of that building," replied Heero.
 
"No problem." Duo turned to the car and fetched the water bucket out, whistling softly he headed in the direction of the building and found the tap. He quickly turned on the tap and set the bucket underneath it, watching the people around him as it filled. There were all sorts of horses and riders around, ranging from small ponies through to larger animals like Zero. A couple of children passed him on a pair of ponies and Duo couldn't help but smile at the two. They looked so cute and yet professional with their ponies manes all plaited up. With the bucket now full, Duo carried it back to the float and Heero.
 
Heero had managed to get the floating boots off Zero and tied up the haynet by the time Duo reappeared with the water bucket. He took it off the vet and set it down so as Zero could reach it but not get too much hay dropped into it either. "He should be fine for a few minutes," said Heero as he patted the gray's rump underneath the light rug he wore. "We need to find the secretary and collect my number and confirm that I'm here. Then we can find out what time the course will be open for walking and also if they're running on time."
 
"Lead on, Heero," replied Duo. "I'm new to all this shit so you're gonna have to educate me."
 
Heero smiled. "I'd say the secretary should be inside that building."
 
The two of them walked across the grass together, both with their hands buried in their pockets. Duo wanted nothing more than to hold Heero's hand but that would be inviting trouble, so the vet had to content himself with occasionally brushing shoulders with the accountant. They found the secretary, a dark haired, harassed looking woman behind the desk inside the building. Heero told her who he was and collected his number, also finding out when he would be able to walk the course and pleased to note that the show was running on time. Stepping back out of the building onto the verandah he paused to look around for a few moments.
 
"Want to take a walk ring side and watch a couple of events, Duo?"
 
"Love to," replied Duo. He was fascinated with the scene. Even though he'd been the presiding vet at the Agricultural show a while ago, he hadn't had much of a chance to watch anything and the events that he had seen he didn't follow too well. With Heero beside him he knew he'd get a running commentary and was looking forward to it. They stopped by the ring where the dressage was taking place. Currently a small pony was in the ring performing all sorts of things that Duo had yet to learn.
 
"That's dressage, Duo. There are many different levels, starting off from Preliminary, Novice, and Elementary going right through to Prix St George and Grand Prix. Again it works on a grading system; you achieve points for a placing and once you have reached so many points you move up to the next level. The levels get harder the higher you go. The arena you see measures sixty meters by twenty meters and has letters scattered around it. Each level has roughly four tests to it and the show organizers decide which tests will be ridden that day. You have to learn the test and then ride it in the arena where you are judged. It's kind of what you would call a test of education and obedience; you have to perform certain movements at certain marker points."
 
"Ahh. Looks kinda complicated,' replied Duo as he watched the pony continue to trot around the arena.
 
"It isn't really. More a case of being able to remember the test and where the markers are," stated Heero. "Come on, the hacking is over this way."
 
Duo left the dressage arena and followed Heero to another ring where roughly five horses were standing in a line up, a sixth one working out.
 
"That's hacking; the next class is the one I was trying to get you to take Scythe into. It's basically a beauty contest for horses, but their conformation and education also comes into it."
 
"So you've not only got to look good, you've also got to be able to work well?"
 
"Hai. Watch, here comes your class."
 
Duo's eyes were fixed on the ring as he watched the next class enter and he was even more grateful now that his stubborn streak had presided and he'd refused to let Heero talk him into showing Scythe. All the horses looked perfect, beautifully turned out, coats gleaming, saddlery shining and their riders immaculate. As they moved around the ring so Duo did his best to be critical and select the ones he thought would be called into the line up. As it turned out, he wasn't far wrong. Three of his selections made it to the line up and were given the opportunity to work out separately. Eventually the large bay was given first, the chestnut second and the light bay that Duo had liked placed third.
 
"Wish you'd entered now?" Heero asked with a smile. "Scythe would have kicked their asses."
 
"No. I'm still glad I didn't. Sorry, Heero but I don't have your competitive streak. I'm happier sitting on the side lines and watching," replied Duo with a grin.
 
"Come on, then. I think we should get back to Zero and start to get him ready, the course will be open for walking in an hour and I want to start to get him warmed up and settled down."
 
"Okay," said Duo and followed the other man back to the float and Zero. Duo knew that Heero wanted him to try the show scene, to experience the adrenaline rush and Duo appreciated that. But, the scene wasn't for him, not as a competitor anyway. He was enjoying himself though; simply watching all the activity around him, the different horse and rider combinations was interesting enough for Duo. They arrived back at the float to find that Zero had settled down and almost finished eating his haynet. "What do you want me to do, Heero?"
 
"You can start by getting me the grooming kit and then Zero's gear out of the car if you don't mind, Duo," Heero said as he began to unbuckle Zero's rug and remove it.
 
"No problem." Duo went to the car and began to unpack the things Heero had asked for. Yes, Duo definitely preferred being on this side of the fence.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc......