Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 34 ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC
 
Pairing: 2x1
 
Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!
 
Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai and Ryouga.
 
Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com
http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/FrontPage1.html
http://adultfanfiction.net
http://www.theforsakenwk.com
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*
 
"Equinity"
 
October. 2004 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 34
 
When Heero returned from his ride he gave Zero a thorough brush down and towel off. The horse had cooled on their way back but Heero didn't want to run the risk of Zero catching a chill. Once Zero was clean, Heero put the thick rug back on and led the horse into his stable. He fetched the feeds and dumped them into the feed bins, along with several carrots. With the gear put away, Heero went to fetch Scythe from the paddock, checked her rug and made sure she was comfortable. The mare's belly was beginning to swell with the growing foal and Heero ran his hand over her flank.
 
"Won't be too much longer, Scythe," he said softly and let his mind wander to the foal. Would it be a colt or filly? What color would it be? Would it have any markings? "Shit!" he muttered. "Anyone would think I was an expectant father." With a chuckle at his own idiocy, Heero checked the stable doors and then switched off the lights before pulling the large door across and securing it for the evening. His feet crunched on the gravel drive as he made his way back up to the house, glancing at his watch. He would have just enough time to change before evening consults would be upon them.
 
With the onset of winter they were bringing the horses in early, if they waited until after consults it would be too dark and cold and Heero didn't want the animals out in the cold evening air, especially Scythe. He wondered if Duo had thought much on his proposal and if so what his comments would be. There was only one way to find out though and taking a deep breath, Heero opened the back door and stepped inside.
 
The warmth of the kitchen was a welcome relief to the cold of the outside and Heero took a moment to appreciate it before slipping off his boots. "Duo?" he called as he padded across the kitchen floor in his socks.
 
"In here," came the reply from the lounge room.
 
Heero walked through and found Duo sitting on the couch, the folder on the coffee table and a thoughtful look on his face.
 
"Have a good ride?"
 
"Yeah, it was exhilarating," replied Heero as he sat down on the couch next to Duo. "You read the notes and think about my proposal?"
 
"Yes, I did."
 
"Questions?"
 
Duo took a moment to compose himself and then turned to face his boyfriend. Taking one of Heero's hands in his, Duo looked the accountant square in the eye. "I've thought about what you said and I agree, I can't go on like this, Heero. It isn't fair to me, the practice or to you. We aren't getting any time to spend together and that's not good for our relationship and I don't want to give you up. I don't want to give up the practice either and what you suggested about hiring another vet makes good sense. Another vet would lighten the load on me and also give the practice the chance to expand further. However..."
 
"Hai?"
 
"The facts and figures all add up, you did an excellent job of that by the way."
 
"Arigato. I'm not an accountant for nothing," Heero said with a grin.
 
"You're a damn good one, Heero," Duo said fiercely. "And that brings me to my last point. You leaving your current job and taking on the role of vet nurse-come-receptionist."
 
"Duo, I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't want to do it," began Heero.
 
Duo waved a hand in the air. "Will you let me finish?"
 
"Sorry."
 
"I don't think that trading jobs is going to benefit you financially, Heero. I did a few of my own calculations and I figure you'd be earning less working at the practice than what you are now with the part time job. But…" Duo gazed deep into Heero's eyes. "If I do take on another vet then I am also going to need a full time person to cope with the paperwork and stuff. Heero?"
 
"Hai?" Heero didn't really understand what Duo's problem was, he was happy to take a cut in wages if it meant he could be here, with Duo and helping the vet out.
 
"After going through all the facts and figures I've decided I can't afford to employ you full time in that capacity..."
 
Heero's face fell.
 
"...but I have another proposition for you. I'd like you to become my partner."
 
The words sank into Heero's brain. Duo wanted him to become his partner? Heero was about to open his mouth and say that same sex marriages were not permitted when the true sense of the word 'partner' hit him like a freight train. Duo wanted him to become a partner in the practice.
 
"Here, take a look at the figures, Heero. They're not as neat or organized as yours but you can see the general outline of the proposition."
 
"You want me to be a partner in the practice?" Heero whispered.
 
"Only if you want to, Heero. I've outlined the costs, initial and ongoing, and then there's the profit margin after expenses and I think you will agree that it would be more profitable in the long run for you to be a partner rather than an employee. Heero? Heero, are you listening to me?" Duo waved a hand in front of Heero's eyes, the man had a far away look on his face and Duo was becoming a touch concerned.
 
"A partner?" Heero said again, his eyes unfocused.
 
"Yes, I do believe that's what I said," Duo stated with an amused smile.
 
"In the practice?"
 
"Well, we can't get married so I guess a partner in the practice is the topic here," chuckled Duo.
 
Of all the things that Duo could possibly have proposed to Heero, this was the last thing he would have thought of. Calling his wayward senses back to heel, Heero thought about what Duo had said and reached for the folder. "May I?"
 
"By all means. Like I said, my calculations aren't as neatly organized as yours but you will get the general outline. Here, this is the initial outlay..." Duo began to explain his proposal to Heero, pointing out his calculations and seeing what Heero thought.
 
They spent a good fifteen minutes going over the facts and figures and Heero had to admit that Duo's return proposition was a good one. "Would you mind if I went over this a little more thoroughly after consults, Duo? It all looks fine but I'd like to study it a bit more before making a commitment either way."
 
"That's fine, Heero. In fact I'd be insulted if you didn't go into it in more depth. If you do decide to become a partner we will need to visit the bank and solicitor as the paperwork will need to be drawn up and all that other shit to make it legal."
 
"Thanks." Heero glanced at the clock. "Shit! We'd better get a move on, Duo. Consults start in five minutes and I'm not even changed yet."
 
Duo rolled his eyes. "Fuck, he's not even given me an answer and he's already acting like the boss," he snickered.
 
Heero opted to give Duo a glare and then a quick kiss. "I'll be ready in two," he said and charged off to get changed.
 
Duo watched him go, a smile on his lips and then got up to go and open up the surgery.
 
***
 
Over the course of the next two days, Heero fully investigated Duo's proposition. He checked the facts, the books, the bank accounts and records of the practice. He ran a program through his laptop for projected income/profit for the practice based on current figures. He modified the program and ran it again taking into account the extra employee, insurance and tax costs. He made an appointment with his own solicitor and discussed the legal aspect in depth.
 
Whilst Heero was doing his own investigating, Duo stayed quiet, pleased that Heero was being thorough in his research. He didn't mind his boyfriend probing into the records of the practice, he had nothing to hide and everything to gain. Whatever information Heero needed or asked for, Duo willingly gave. He'd decided to put off advertising for a vet to join the practice until Heero had made up his mind whether or not he was going to become a partner. If the accountant did then Duo wanted Heero to be a part of the selection process for their new assistant.
 
Arriving home from work three days later, Heero wandered into the house to find Duo just finishing up with the vacuum cleaner. The radio was blasting away and Duo was dancing and singing along with the music, hips swaying as he pushed the head of the vacuum over the carpet in the lounge. Heero leaned against the door jamb an amused smile on his face as he watched and then shoving off he approached his boyfriend and went to drop his hand to Duo's shoulder.
 
"She seems to have an invisible touch... yeah! She reaches in, and grabs right hold of your heart... Ahhh, FUCK!" Duo whirled around as he went six feet into the air. "Shit! Heero!!"
 
Heero couldn't help but laugh at the expression on Duo's face. "Sorry," he snickered. "Couldn't help myself. Invisible touch?"
 
Muttering under his breath about idiotic boyfriends and cardiac arrests, Duo pushed the off button on Fido and then went to turn the stereo down. "Phil Collins, classic song," huffed Duo as he turned back to the vacuum cleaner and cautiously checked where the cord was sitting before unplugging it and preparing to hit the rewind button. The cord snaked across the carpet, zipping along and gaining speed. As it passed Heero's ankles so it gave a flick and the plug scored a perfect hit.
 
"OW! Shit!" yelled Heero as he hopped on one foot, rubbing his ankle.
 
"Justice is served," said Duo with a grin and patted the vacuum cleaner. "Good boy, Fido."
 
"Bastard," hissed Heero as he sat down on the couch and examined the bruise appearing on his ankle.
 
"Serves you right for frightening the shit outta me," retorted Duo but then he relented and snuck across the carpet. "It didn't do too much damage, did it?" he asked a little concerned as he tried to see Heero's ankle.
 
"I'll live," replied Heero and moved his hand away for the vet to see the bruising. As Duo leaned in for a closer look so Heero grabbed him and planted a sloppy kiss to Duo's lips.
 
"No fair," said Duo as he was released and then with a grin he climbed up onto the couch and wormed his way into Heero's lap, winding his arms around the accountant's shoulders as he straddled Heero's hips. Duo locked eyes with his partner then kissed the tip of Heero's nose before pressing a chaste kiss to those sweet lips. He continued to peck at Heero's lips as he questioned his boyfriend on his morning at work.
 
Once the 'inquisition' as Heero dubbed it was over, Heero dropped his own bombshell. "Duo?"
 
"Mmm?" Duo was busy nuzzling at Heero's throat.
 
"As you know I've been going through everything related to the practice and your proposal... Ahhh, a little to the left."
 
Duo's mouth duly traveled slightly to the left to suckle at the skin just below Heero's ear. "And?" Duo breathed over the heated skin.
 
"I'm impressed with the way the practice has grown and there is plenty of room for it to continue to grow... Keep that up and I won't be responsible for my actions..." Heero squirmed as Duo's tongue teased his ear.
 
Duo snickered and nibbled on Heero's ear lobe. He pressed a little closer, wriggling his backside in Heero's lap and feeling the hardness rising slowly beneath him. "I know there's potential for growth, that's the idea of hiring another vet, ease my workload and expand," whispered Duo and then kissed along Heero's throat.
 
"After studying all the pros and cons and going over it all with my solicitor... Ahhh... ohhh... feels good." Heero pushed his pelvis upwards scoring a little friction for his length and feeling Duo's hardness pressing against his belly.
 
"Yes?" Duo huffed.
 
"Where was I?"
 
"Somewhere around here I think," replied Duo as he pushed against Heero's erection with his backside.
 
"Aaa." Heero snaked a hand between their bodies and palmed Duo's hardness by way of retaliation.
 
"Ohhh... shit..." moaned Duo.
 
"Mmm... The solicitor is in... Ah, nice... agreement and can't see any reason... fuck that's good," groaned Heero as Duo's mouth latched onto a nipple and sucked. Heero didn't know when Duo had undone his shirt and personally he didn't care either.
 
"The solicitor can't what?" Duo paused in his ministrations for a moment to speak, his breath teasing over the hardening nub he'd just been suckling on. "Nnnn... More, Heero." Duo thrust his pelvis against Heero's hand that was skillfully working its way inside the open fly of his jeans.
 
"Huh?"
 
"The... Uhhh... solicitor. You were saying about the... Oh, god." Duo's words were cut off as Heero found Duo's hardness and began to rub against it inside his jeans.
 
"Ahh, yes, the solicitor. Nnn... Duo, I'm gonna come in my pants in a minute." Heero thrust repeatedly against Duo's rear, exciting himself further as Duo's mouth latched again onto his nipple.
 
Snickering softly, Duo continued to work the nub, at the same time he thrust his own arousal against Heero's teasing hand and consequently rubbed against Heero's trapped cock.
 
"Oh, fuck," groaned Heero. "Duo, in a nutshell I want to accept your proposal, I'll become a partner in the practice with you but as a silent one; now if you don't let me come I'm going to..."
 
All words ceased as the pair thrust frantically against each other, desperate to end the torment and find their release. Heero pushed hard against Duo's backside as his hand wormed inside Duo's boxers and began to stroke.
 
"Shit, gonna..." Duo thrust up and cried out as his orgasm found him and left him panting. Seconds later Heero also screamed his pleasure and flooded his pants with his seed. They slowed their movements and finally stilled. Heero still had his hand inside Duo's jeans and Duo was collapsed happily against Heero's shoulder. As sanity returned so they slowly parted. Sated violet found hazy blue and they locked gazes for a moment before joining together in a tender kiss.
 
"I do believe you said something about accepting my offer of a partnership?" Duo managed to breathe out.
 
"Hai, I did. Silent partner though."
 
"You didn't sound all that silent a moment ago," snickered Duo.
 
"Yuk," exclaimed Heero as Duo shifted and left his lap to sit next to him and he looked at the mess. Not only were his own pants becoming very uncomfortable with the stickiness inside, but Duo's release had also managed to seep through the vet's clothes and add to the problem.
 
"Messy," said Duo, stating the obvious.
 
"I think a clean up is in order before we discuss this further."
 
"I agree," replied Duo and stole a kiss. "Come on, let's get showered and changed then we can discuss the finer details over lunch."
 
"Sounds good to me," replied Hero and partook of his own kiss before standing and following Duo down the hall to the bathroom. "You go first, chuck your clothes out once you're stripped and I'll go put them to soak with mine."
 
"Thanks, Heero." Duo disappeared into the bathroom whilst Heero went to his own room to strip off then collect their respective clothing to put to soak.
 
* * *
 
Over the course of lunch they discussed the partnership and Heero explained what his solicitor had suggested. Heero would buy into the practice and become a full partner, sharing the costs and profits from the practice. However, he would remain a silent partner, Duo having the main control over the vet side of things and Heero running the bookwork and accounts. Duo's sole name would remain on the brass plate outside the door as the proprietor and Heero would be added as the manager. Both men seemed happy with the arrangement and Duo made the necessary appointments with the bank and his own solicitor to have all the necessary paperwork done up in readiness.
 
Two weeks later they were joint owners of the 'Maxwell Veterinary Practice'.
 
Heero put in his notice at the accountancy firm and whilst they were sad to see him leave and did their very best to persuade him to stay, Heero's mind was made up. A small party was thrown on the Friday of Heero's departure and Heero was presented with a gold necklace that had a horseshoe pendant attached. 'For good luck' his fellow employees told him.
 
He was sad to leave the place, they had given him a job and helped him out when he'd needed it and Mr. Fairbrother told him there would always be a position for him with the company should he ever want or need it. Heero had only just managed to choke back his emotion as he left; he'd never enjoyed working for a company as much as he had working for Fairbrothers.
 
Duo had taken him out for dinner that night to celebrate their partnership together.
 
Now working fully in the practice, Heero set about reorganizing the office. He cleared out the filing system and updated it, rearranged the furniture a little so it was easier for him to locate things and brought Nrobbuts up to grade.
 
Duo watched the changes with amusement. He didn't interfere, after all, the reception area was Heero's domain and Duo wasn't about to tell him what he could and couldn't do in there. Now if it had been the consulting rooms or kennels, Duo would have had a few words. Duo had his side of things set up the way he liked and could find anything he needed within seconds, it was only fair that Heero be able to do the same with the reception area.
 
Once the reception had been changed to suit Heero's needs the next problem arose. Getting a new vet.
 
Between them they drafted out an advert and put it in the city newspaper as well as the local one. The advert appeared two days later and within a week they had applications coming in. They sat together each evening going over the replies and resumes, noting down which ones would be suitable for the practice. Duo was extremely fussy about who he intended to employ. Besides having the necessary qualifications they also needed to have compassion for the animals and their owners as well as willingness to work. Duo wasn't about to see his hard work at establishing an excellent clientele as well as rapport with his clients all go down the toilet because of a vet with attitude.
 
Heero was looking at the more practical side of things such as age, gender and previous history. Between the two of them they narrowed the field down to five prospects. Those that hadn't made the grade were contacted, thanked for their application and wished good luck in their future careers. The remaining five were asked to come in for a personal interview.
 
Duo wanted to interview all of them on the same day with both himself and Heero present to ask and answer questions. Heero agreed and they drew up a rough copy of the questions they wanted answers to, which would give them a clear indication of who of the five would be the best candidate.
 
The interviews were organized and now it was a case of sitting back and waiting for their first applicant to arrive. They were doing the interviews in the surgery itself, that way they could show the applicants around and get a general feel themselves of how the applicant reacted to the set up.
 
The first prospect was a middle aged man who had been working for a practice further south. The practice was closing down and he needed to find alternate employment. Whilst his credentials were all good and there was no doubting his record of experience, Duo felt uneasy around the man. Oh, he was pleasant enough but Duo got the feeling that this man was a homophobe and should he find out about Heero and Duo's relationship, Duo got the distinct feeling the man could be trouble.
 
The second applicant was younger and not as experienced but pleasant enough in himself. Duo seemed happy enough with him and Heero didn't have any grave concerns either so they put him into the 'possible' pile. The third applicant was a woman and far too forward for Duo's liking. She had a good track record but appeared to Duo that she was more intent on discovering his and Heero's 'assets' than what the practice entailed. Having fended off what appeared to be a groping attempt to Duo, he dismissed the woman with a promise to 'let her know'.
 
"No fucking way!" snapped Duo as he flopped into the chair in the office, Heero snickering behind him. "Fine! Go ahead and laugh at my expense," Duo groused. "You wouldn't be so jovial if it was your ass she was trying to grab."
 
"She did try to grab mine," returned Heero. "I was better at avoiding her."
 
"Yeah, well..." Duo rubbed his ass cheek where the woman had managed to get a pinch in. "Who do we have next?"
 
Heero picked up the applicant's paper work. "A Roger Williams."
 
"Show him in then."
 
The guy was a couple of years older than Heero and Duo and seemed nice enough. He had a relaxed air about him and radiated calmness. He seemed pretty impressed with the practice and the way things were set up. Duo could feel Heero's like for the man growing and he had to admit that so far out of their final five this guy was by far the best. They shook hands and parted with the promise that Duo would let him know within the next twenty four hours what their decision was.
 
"Last candidate,' said Heero as he picked up the resume. "Another female."
 
"Great. Duo rolled his eyes. "I hope she's not an octopus like the other one."
 
"I'll get her," said Heero as he tried to hide his grin.
 
Duo looked up as the woman entered the reception office. She was a little shorter than he was with a mop of black hair. Her eyes were a soft blue and held a genuine warmth to them. She extended her hand and Duo took it, surprised at the feeling of strength in her handshake.
 
"Doctor Maxwell. I'm Doctor Hilde Schbeiker. It's a pleasure to meet you."
 
"Pleasure to meet you too, Doctor Schbeiker," said Duo as he ran his eyes over the woman.
 
"Please, call me Hilde," she said and sat down in the seat Duo indicated and gazed expectantly at Duo.
 
Heero took up position on Duo's other side and picked up the paper work. "I'm Heero Yuy, Doctor Maxwell's partner," he said and then watched intently to see how the woman would react.
 
"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Yuy. If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do in the practice?"
 
Heero felt respect for the woman begin to grow. She was the first one who had asked about Heero's role in the practice. "I usually run the reception area, keep the accounts and act as vet nurse when the occasion calls for it."
 
"Then you must be pretty versatile," she smiled. "That's good. I've always found that it helps if people can turn their hand to helping out in other areas as the need arises."
 
Duo gave an amused smile. He was beginning to like this woman. "According to your resume you have worked in the Stanford Vet practice for the past five years."
 
"That's right."
 
"You're still employed there?"
 
"Yes, I am."
 
"Then why, may I ask, are you interested in this position if you already have a job?" Duo sat back and waited for the reply.
 
"Actually it's quite simple. I was offered a position with Stanford just after I graduated from vet college. I did some practical there when still going through the course and they liked my work enough to offer me a job once I qualified. I enjoy working there, the other employees are friendly enough and there is a steady clientele, but…" Hilde paused for a moment. "It's mainly small animal work and in the city, I'd like to get out of the big smoke and broaden my skills. Working in a country practice seems to be the best way to do that. I'd like to get some experience with the larger animals, horses, cattle that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I love cats, dogs and all the small creatures but I'd like to broaden my horizons and gain some experience with different species."
 
"I guess it would be rather hard to find a cow to treat in the city," stated Heero in a matter-of-fact tone.
 
"You betcha," grinned Hilde. "What sort of clients do you get here?"
 
The next ten minutes were spent explaining the running of the practice, the types of animals and cases they treated as well as the call outs and surgery they performed. Hilde asked intelligent questions in all the right places and seemed very interested. Duo took her for a look through the surgery set up and was pleased when the woman complimented him on how well the place was organized. It also went in her favor that she didn't try to get fresh with him.
 
Duo left her looking through the small operating theater and went to find Heero. "What do you think?" Duo asked his partner.
 
"So far she seems the best one. Intelligent, happy and genuine. Maybe we should introduce her to Scythe and Zero, see what she thinks about those two," said Heero.
 
"Good idea. I can also explain what the working hours would be and also the occasional outside call from Quatre and Trowa," said Duo as he turned to go and get the woman.
 
Hilde fell in love with Scythe. She showed no fear of the mare and fussed over her which pleased Scythe no end. Zero immediately became jealous and insisted on whinnying at the top of his lungs until Heero went and spoke to him. Duo chatted with the woman a bit longer and showed her the facilities in the stables for treating the larger animals of the practice, happy when Hilde showed a keen interest in his work with horses.
 
They strolled back up to the surgery, Hilde asking questions about the sorts of call outs Duo got and the type of clients he saw in the small animal part. When they returned to the surgery she made her excuse to leave, adding that she hoped they would consider her application as she felt she had not only a lot to offer the practice itself, but she would also gain valuable experience from working there.
 
Heero and Duo shook hands with the woman once more and told her they would give her a call that evening after consults to let her know what their decision was. Once Hilde had departed, Duo turned to Heero.
 
"Well?'
 
"It's up to you, Duo. You're the one that will be working the most with the new vet, regardless of which one we hire, I won't have to deal with them quite as much."
 
"I have to say I'm impressed with Hilde. She has a good knowledge and a lovely personality," said Duo lost in thought.
 
"I agree. I think she would get on well with the clients and she has a natural knack with the animals too."
 
"Shall we give her a trial run?"
 
"Why not?'
 
"I'll call her after consults then and offer her the position with a three week trial period first." Duo wrapped his arms around Heero's waist and hugged his boyfriend.
 
"I think you have made a wise decision here, Duo. She seems nice enough and I think the clients will all like her as well." Heero pressed a kiss to Duo's lips. "We'd better go bring in the horses before consults are due to start."
 
"I guess time will tell. I hope she works out okay, I have a feeling she will and I'm usually right with my instincts," said Duo softly.
 
"You are?" questioned Heero. "Since when were you one to trust in instincts?" he teased.
 
"I've always trusted my instincts, Heero. Why shouldn't I? They were right when it came to you, weren't they?"
 
Heero couldn't argue with that point.
 
* * *
 
Hilde was duly notified and it was arranged for her to start work the following Monday. She organized a place to stay in the village whilst undergoing the three week trial. Duo had Hilde work with him for the first mornings consults and once she got into the basic running of the practice he let her take a few cases during the evening consults.
 
The feedback from the clients was promising, Hilde was similar to Duo in her approach to her care of the animals, taking time to interact with the owners as well as treat their pets. After two days, Duo let her loose to do consults by herself and was happy with the results.
 
At the end of the first week, Duo couldn't think how he'd coped without the other vet's assistance before. Needless to say the three week trial ended after only a week and Hilde became the new vet at the practice.
 
She took a couple of days off to hunt for a place to rent and move all her things from the city. Heero gave her a hand and she rented a house not far from the surgery. Once she was settled in the three of them sat down and worked out a viable roster plan. It gave Duo two weekends a month free and Hilde the other two. Duo got two nights a week free Hilde two and the rest they worked together. Heero took his days off on a rotating basis during the week; Duo covering the office whilst Hilde did consults one day and then swapping over on another day.
 
The three of them got on well together and if Hilde had a problem she was quick to ask for help, something both Heero and Duo admired and respected. All in all it was working out well and Duo was relieved at that.
 
Duo's health began to improve again and he wasn't short tempered or catty. He managed to relax and spend more time with Heero and the horses, something he'd sorely missed. Heero even managed to coax Duo onto Zero's back for a couple of riding lessons. It was during one of these lessons that Hilde found out the true nature of their relationship.
 
The three of them were in the paddock, Duo having a lesson from Heero whilst Hilde watched at the side, standing with Scythe and brushing the mare. Hilde and Scythe had taken to each other immediately and there wasn't anything Hilde wouldn't do for the mare. Heero had offered Hilde a ride on Zero but the other vet had declined. She was more than happy to handle horses on the ground but had no intentions of ever getting on their backs.
 
Duo was trying to get Zero to trot nicely, using his legs as Heero had taught him but Zero wasn't in the mood and was playing Duo up. Heero could see the stallion was simply saying to Duo 'make me' and Duo wasn't being firm enough. "Use your legs!" he shouted.
 
"I am!" Duo yelled back.
 
"He's putting it over you, Duo. Give him a good kick and let him know you mean business,' shouted Heero.
 
Duo felt as if his legs were dropping off he was using them so hard. In his frustration he gave Zero a good hard kick as Heero had suggested. Suddenly everything around him lurched and the world spun on its axis.
 
"DUO!" screamed Heero as he took off at a run across the paddock. Duo had given Zero a good hard kick as Heero had asked but he'd caught the horse in the flanks and not in the ribs, startling the gray. Zero had reacted by leaping forward, the leap unseating Duo whose body tipped to the side and then with the follow up spring into canter, Duo slid over Zero's right shoulder and landed heavily on the grass. Feeling the weight of his rider leaving him, Zero pulled up and turned around, standing with his nostrils flaring at the man on the ground.
 
Hearing the cry and following thud, Hilde looked up in time to see Duo leave the saddle and land in a heap on the ground. Immediately she dropped her brush and sprinted across the paddock on Heero's heels.
 
Heero got to his partner just as Duo was pushing himself up. The fall had taken him by surprise and he was feeling a little winded but otherwise okay. Suddenly he had an anxious Heero kneeling beside him.
 
"You okay, Duo? Did you break anything? Can you walk, talk? Where does it hurt?" Heero had his hands roaming all over the vet's body searching for any sign of injury.
 
"I'm fine, Hero," Duo managed to wheeze out. "Just a little winded."
 
"Thank god," breathed Heero in relief. "You had me so worried there." Assured that his boyfriend was really okay, Heero leaned over and gave Duo a warm kiss. A discrete cough behind them reminded them of Hilde's presence.
 
"Oh fuck," muttered Heero under his breath.
 
"Um, guys, I don't want to interrupt or anything, but is Duo all right?" she asked, the concern evident in her voice.
 
"Yeah, I'm fine,' replied Duo as he stood up and dusted himself off. "Damn animal," he mumbled and gave Zero a glare.
 
Zero stared right back as if to say, 'Serves you right for kicking me'.
 
"Umm... Hilde. About that..." Duo began to explain flushing red.
 
"Duo, don't," began Hilde. "You don't have to explain anything to me. Look, I had a feeling that you two were more than just partners in the business but that's your affair and nothing to do with me."
 
"It doesn't bother you that we are in a relationship together?" asked Heero as he wrapped an arm around Duo's waist to steady him.
 
"No. Why should it?"
 
"Errr..."
 
"Guys, I don't give a damn what you two get up to, that's your business and no-one else's. It doesn't bother me in the least. Actually it was kinda cute to see the concern there and I'm not going to object if you want to kiss again," she teased.
 
Duo gave a sigh of relief and then opened his eyes wide as the last of the woman's words sank in. Before he had a chance to land any objections, Heero took his mouth again in a searing kiss.
 
Hilde cheered them on. "Way to go, guys!"
 
Heero gave her a wink.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc......