Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 33 ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC
 
Pairing: 2x1
 
Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!
 
Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai and Ryouga.
 
Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com
http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/FrontPage1.html
http://adultfanfiction.net
http://www.theforsakenwk.com
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*
 
 
"Equinity"
 
October. 2004 ShenLong
 
Chapter 33
 
The next few months passed in a blur for both men. Duo was kept very busy with the practice, never seeming to have a moment to himself. Heero was equally as busy, the accountancy firm had expanded and once again Heero had been offered a full time position. Once again, he'd turned it down. He still worked the morning shift returning at lunch time to the practice and assisting Duo with afternoon surgery. In-between he managed to ride Zero and keep the stallion fit. Scythe's pregnancy was progressing normally and she seemed content with her life. Heero had sat down with Duo and gone over the mare's feeding requirements for her pregnancy as well as her work load. They had both agreed to taper off the amount of work she was getting, not that she did much anyway, Duo simply didn't have the time to ride as much as he would have liked and Heero didn't have the time to work two horses so Scythe was reduced to one workout a week and that usually consisted of mainly walking through the leaf strewn tracks of the local countryside.
 
Heero insisted that Duo at least ride once a week, even if it was only for a half hour to give the vet some form of stress relief. Duo had to admit that the walks through the bushland did him the world of good and helped to maintain some form of muscle tone on the mare. She would need it when the time came to foal. As her pregnancy progressed so Heero increased her food intake, especially her oats, whilst she wasn't burning up much in the way of energy with the little work she was doing, the growing foal tended to take quite a lot out of her and Heero was determined she wasn't going to look like a hat rack again.
 
Quatre had dropped by regularly, usually at least once a fortnight and always came bearing a gift for Scythe. A bag of carrots was his usual present, he figured Heero could do with the help seeing how much the mare enjoyed them. He brought an apple once, saved from his lunch but Zero spotted it first and snaffled it. Duo thought he was going to have a seizure with the amount of laughing he did but he couldn't help it. The look of astonishment on Quatre's face when Zero pinched the apple was soon replaced by one of disgust as the horse proceeded to slobber all over the inspector.
 
Heero hadn't been joking when he'd said Zero tended to dribble all over everything when eating an apple.
 
With it now moving into winter, the horses tended to spend more time inside the stables. Heero would put them out for a few hours if the weather wasn't too bad. So far they'd only had a couple of days when it pelted down rain, mostly there were showers with lengthy breaks in-between, even if it was cold.
 
Heero had taken Zero to a few more shows, gradually building up the horse's confidence again. The leg had stood up to the rigors of competition well with no sign of the injury reoccurring. Heero attributed that to Duo's dedicated nursing of Zero immediately after an event. After every show the leg was hosed and the liniment applied whether it needed it or not.
 
Duo called it preventative medicine.
 
Heero called it love.
 
Zero was still to face a really tough course though, Heero having taken him mostly to local shows where the competition wasn't as tough as the big league. The time was coming though for Heero to get him back out on the circuit if he wanted to make his dream come true. Heero decided it would probably be best to finish the season off early with one last show, turn Zero out for a month or two and then bring him back in and prepare him for the start of the new season back in the graded competition.
 
The main part of the circuit had pretty much finished anyway, the bigger shows where the selectors attended would conclude towards the end of winter and as Heero wasn't in the running for anything it was pointless to push Zero any more than he had to. It would be far better to let the horse have a break now and then resume the work load come the spring. By the time the major shows were in full swing, Zero should be hitting the top of his form and Heero's chances of being noticed would be increased.
 
There was still one thing niggling in the back of Heero's mind though. The Ag show where he'd had his fall. Heero knew it was a psychological thing but he also knew he had to conquer that demon if he and Zero were to move on and have any chance of being noticed by the selectors in the future. He'd pushed it to the back of his mind for now though. The Ag shows wouldn't be coming around until the late spring - early summer, so he could worry about that later.
 
With Zero's work load being cut back a little Heero was able to take on a few more 'outside' clients and his financial position improved. In fact, both men, whilst by no means rich, were living quite comfortably. Heero had previously notified the E.F.A. of Zero's fall and subsequent spell from the show ring and graded competition, now came the time to re-register the horse and map out which shows Heero would take him to when the new season started up.
 
The pair of them had spent a lot of time going over the handbook provided by the Federation which listed all the qualifying shows, competitions and places where they were being held and working out what they thought would be a good season for Zero. Duo knew he wouldn't be able to attend all the shows with Heero but planned on being at as many of them as he could in order to offer moral support as well as the veterinary assistance for the horse. With the practice running full steam ahead, Duo rarely got a day off and this had begun to worry Heero. He didn't want his braided lover to exhaust himself and he could clearly see that happening if Duo didn't slow down.
 
He'd tried to get Duo to take some time off, relax a bit other than their shared rides but Duo's dedication to his job and his love of animals saw him unable to say no to any client, even if the client called in the middle of the night.
 
Heero looked out into the gray morning and sipped again at his coffee. He'd already put the horses out and cleaned the stables. The animals were eating their breakfasts and Heero had made up the evening feeds. Breakfast for himself and Duo was keeping warm in the oven, Heero intending to let Duo sleep as long as he could. A call had come in at ten the previous evening, a cow having trouble calving and Duo had duly gone out to help. He hadn't returned until two in the morning, filthy, bloody and exhausted.
 
Heero had dozed on the couch while awaiting his partner's return and as Duo had walked in the door Heero had taken one look at him and hustled the vet into the shower. With the fluids, blood and dirt washed off the vet; Heero had given him a hot chocolate to thaw out his insides then tucked the vet into bed before going to his own. The morning had dawned overcast but Heero doubted it would rain and rather than disturb Duo, he'd deliberately turned the vet's alarm off and seen to the horses himself.
 
Making up another coffee, Heero picked up the mug and wandered down the hall to Duo's bedroom. He knocked on the door but when he didn't receive a reply, he knocked again and then opened the door. There was a lump in the middle of the bed, buried beneath the thick doona,[1] the tip of a chestnut braid the only sign that it was Duo in the bed. With a smile Heero walked across the room and set the coffee mug upon the night stand. He peeled back the covers enough to locate Duo's sleeping face and paused for a moment. The vet was snoring gently and Heero really didn't want to disturb the man but he had to. He gently shook Duo's shoulder.
 
"Duo... Time to get up."
 
The body in the bed just snored on.
 
Heero tried again, getting the same result. He chuckled to himself and then eased forwards. He brought his face close to Duo's and then kissed the vet deeply. Pulling away, Heero watched in amusement as Duo's eyelids began to flicker ad the vet shifted slightly in the bed.
 
"Mmmm... Now that's a nice dream," mumbled Duo and snuggled a little deeper into the pillow.
 
Heero gave a soft chuckle and reached in again, planting another kiss to Duo's lips.
 
Duo sighed. "It's not a dream, is it?" he muttered as his eyes opened and he blinked sleepily. "Time to get up already?"
 
"Morning, Duo," said Heero with a smile.
 
"What time is it? Mmm, do I smell coffee?" asked Duo as he rolled over to his back and yawned.
 
"It's just after seven thirty and yes, it's coffee. Want some?"
 
"Is the pope catholic?" Duo managed to lever himself up in the bed, leaning back against the head board and taking the offered cup of coffee. "Now that's what I call a nice way to wake up," he mumbled and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. "What time did you say it was?" Duo tried to look at the clock but his vision was still a little blurry and his brain somewhere between reality and dreamland.
 
"Just after seven thirty."
 
"Shit! My alarm mustn't have gone off. The horses..."
 
"Already done. You had a late night with that call out so I thought I'd let you sleep in. I've fed the horses, cleaned the stables and put them out in the paddock. I don't think it's going to rain much, if at all, so it won't hurt them to stay out today. Breakfast is ready whenever you are."
 
"What did I ever do to deserve you, Heero?" smiled Duo. "Thanks, you have no idea how much I appreciate it. I'll get up and get dressed."
 
"Okay. I'll go get myself changed and ready for work. Meet you in the kitchen in a few." Heero leaned in and stole another kiss before leaving the vet to get up and get dressed.
 
Ten minutes later they were in the kitchen and tucking into the breakfast Heero had made. "You got much booked for this afternoon's surgery?" asked Heero as he bit into his toast.
 
"One castration and a cyst removal. Both dogs, both being dropped off this morning."
 
"Need a hand?"
 
"The castration will be fine, might need some help with the cyst removal though."
 
"Okay. I should be home around one-ish. Don't start without me."
 
"And have you miss out on all the fun?" Duo cocked an eyebrow and gave his boyfriend a grin.
 
Ignoring the comment, Heero changed topic slightly. "How was the cow and calf? You were gone for quite a while."
 
"Breech presentation with a leg laid wrong. Took a while but I managed to get the leg brought around and then deliver the calf. Fortunately it was still alive."
 
"Sounds like it was a tough one."
 
"Sure was. It felt like my arm was being crushed after a while there." Duo declined to mention that he'd had to deliver the calf whilst lying on the floor of the barn as the cow had lay down and refused to get up, hence his rather bedraggled state when he'd come home. He would have to wash his hair today, he'd been too tired last night when he'd gotten back and was sure he'd got cow shit in it somewhere.
 
'Heifer or bull?"
 
"Bull calf, big bastard too. Nice looking animal though so I'd say the farmer is going to keep it entire."
 
"Aa."
 
Duo stood up and took his empty plate to the sink. "Thanks for breakfast, Heero, and for the sleep in, it was nice."
 
Heero also stood up and dropped his plate to the sink before wrapping his arms around his partner. "You're most welcome, Duo. Love you." Heero kissed the vet. "I'd better go grab my shit and head for work."
 
"Love you too, Heero. I suppose I should go on up and get ready for the morning consults."
 
"I'll see you later on. Don't work too hard," said Heero as he released Duo and went to get his briefcase.
 
"Same goes for you too, Heero. I'll see you at lunch." Duo turned to the sink and began to run the hot water to wash up.
 
* * *
 
When Heero returned from work there was no sign of Duo in the house so he grabbed a sandwich and headed up to the surgery to locate his missing boyfriend. Sure enough, Duo was sitting behind the reception desk wrestling with the computer.
 
"Fucking no good piece of shit. I should have you strung up by the circuits!"
 
"Strung up by the circuits?" inquired Heero with a smirk as he stuck his head around the doorway of the reception area.
 
"AGH! Shit! You frightened the living daylights outta me, Heero!" Duo all but yelled.
 
"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." Heero walked into the room and ran his fingers over Duo's cheek. "What's up?"
 
"This piece of crap. All I want to do is transfer this data from here into the files here and the son of a bitch won't let me. I'm just about ready to put my fist through the screen," snarled Duo as he gave the innocent looking computer a glare that should have fried its solenoids.
 
"Here, let me try." Heero plonked himself down in Duo's lap and began to toggle the mouse and type in commands. Seconds later the job was complete. "There you go, all done."
 
"No one likes a smart arse, Heero," Duo huffed as he peeked at the machine. "Is it really done?"
 
Heero laughed and then turned around in his boyfriend's lap. "Where's my kiss of gratitude?" he asked as he wound his arms around Duo's neck and stroked his fingers along the nape of that neck.
 
"Asshole,” replied Duo but there was a grin on his face and he leaned in, wrapping his arms around Heero's waist and stealing those luscious lips in a torrid kiss. "Thanks."
 
"My pleasure," replied Heero. "Busy morning, I take it?"
 
"You could say that. There's a mountain of paperwork to put on the computer and I was hoping to have had it all done by the time you got home so that you wouldn't have to do it tonight during consults or after. I would have had it done too if Nrobbuts here had cooperated. I don't know about you, Heero, but I feel as if I haven't spent much quality time with you lately and I really want to snuggle."
 
Heero couldn't help the warmth that spread through his body with Duo's words and the accompanying pout. "I want to snuggle too, Duo. I've missed cuddling on the couch and watching telly together." Lately they had sat down together of an evening intending to cuddle but within five minutes of relaxing either one or both of them had fallen asleep!
 
It was frustrating to say the least.
 
"Why don't you go get started on your surgery and I'll finish up the paper work here then join you for the cyst removal?" said Heero as he eyed the paper work. He was pretty sure he could knock it all off within a half hour.
 
"Are you sure, Heero?"
 
"I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it. Now, shoo, you go do what you do best and separate that dog from its balls. I'd rather stay here whilst you do that if you don't mind." Heero could feel his own balls shift and squirm with the thought of the castration Duo was going to perform on the dog. It was something he really couldn't get used to.
 
Duo chuckled completely understanding where his boyfriend was coming from. "Okay. I'll go and remove Snowy from his assets while you sort out the computer and paperwork. Come on down when you're done."
 
"I will." Heero gave his boyfriend a quick kiss and then stood up to allow Duo to get out of the chair and head for the small operating theater. Once the vet was gone, Heero cracked his knuckles and looked at the computer. "Right, let's get one thing straight, Nrobbuts, I'm the intelligent one here, you are a machine, not A.I.; just a machine, a bunch of wires, circuits and chips; understand? Good. Now, let us see what we can do..."
 
* * *
 
"Pass me that swab will you please, Heero?"
 
Heero picked up the swab and handed it over. Duo dabbed at the area, soaking up the blood so he could see the base of the cyst easier. The used swab was tossed to the side and Duo gingerly fished around with his forceps, locating the section of the cyst where it would be easiest to remove.
 
"Long nosed scissors."
 
Heero handed over the item.
 
Duo blew a droplet of sweat from his nose and then snipped at the base of the cyst. "Go you, you little bugger." He grasped the now free cyst with his forceps and dropped it to the kidney dish. "Fuck! More swabs, Heero, quick."
 
Grabbing a bundle of the swabs, Heero passed them over, noting the blood running freely from where Duo had just cut the cyst. "Shit! Why is there so much blood?" he asked as he prepared to hand over more swabs as Duo needed them.
 
"The cyst," replied Duo. "For some reason cysts and tumors have a rich blood supply. Damn. I need you to thread me up one of those needles, Heero. I'm going to have to suture this one vessel, it's not going to stop on its own."
 
Heero pulled off a length of silk and threaded the needle, handing it to Duo. "Want me to keep swabbing whilst you stitch?"
 
"If you can that would be a great help."
 
Heero began to pack a few more swabs around the operation site.
 
"Shit, Heero! Not there, I can't see where to stitch," growled Duo.
 
"Sorry."
 
"Just watch where you're swabbing and where I'm stitching, okay?"
 
Heero could detect the irritation in Duo's voice as well as something else. It sounded like exhaustion.
 
"Scissors."
 
Heero passed over the small scissors.
 
"Not those ones, the really thin nosed ones, geeze."
 
Heero declined to say anything but passed over the other scissors. Duo didn't usually use those ones, he used the original ones Heero had passed him.
 
"Good, it's stopped." Duo straightened a little and wiped his sleeve across his forehead, the material soaking up some of the sweat. "Right, now to sew up the rest of him."
 
Keeping his silence, Heero handed over another needle and silk along with a fine pair of forceps. Duo began the arduous task of stitching up the layers of muscle and skin. By the time he'd finished both of them were physically and mentally exhausted. Duo took the sleeping dog from the operating table and set him on a blanket on the floor to recover. Snowy was just starting to come out of his anesthetic and Duo was quick to check him.
 
Heero busied himself by cleaning up the mess, collecting all the used swabs and other unmentionable bits and putting them in the rubbish. The instruments were gathered together and rinsed before being placed in the autoclave for sterilization. Collecting the surgical cloths, Heero dropped them on the bench by the door ready to be picked up and taken to the house to be washed, providing Gertrude was in a sensible mood and would work.
 
"I'm going to take Snowy back to the kennels, keep an eye on Rusty for me, would you?"
 
Heero nodded and narrowed his eyes as he watched Duo bend and pick the dog up. He could see the effort it took for Duo to carry the dog. "Would you like me to take Snowy to the kennels?" he asked.
 
Duo turned and faced his boyfriend. "I can manage," he replied a little curtly and then left.
 
Heero sighed and turned his attention back to cleaning down the table and then mopping the floor. He'd just finished when Duo returned.
 
"Fuck! I thought I asked you to keep an eye on Rusty?" Duo snapped and quickly headed across the floor to where the dog was trying to get to its feet.
 
"I was," Heero said in defense. "He was fine a moment ago, he's only just this second tried to get up."
 
"The last thing I need is for him to be trying to stand up right now. He'll bust his stitches if we're not careful."
 
Heero's eyes darkened as a frown spread over his face. "I'll carry him through to the kennels. Everything is done in here and I think we need to talk, Duo." Without waiting for the vet to respond, Heero picked the dog up and marched off to the kennels.
 
Duo rubbed a weary hand over his face and hung his head. He'd snapped at Heero when he had no right to. He sighed and turned to follow his boyfriend. He knew Heero was upset with him. Hell, Duo was upset with himself too and couldn't blame Heero for being mad at him. Miserably he headed down the hall to the kennels.
 
***
 
"Sit," commanded Heero as the pair walked into the kitchen at the house.
 
Duo complied, pulling out a chair and sitting at the kitchen table. His eyes tracked Heero as the man busied himself making them both a hot drink. Mugs set on the table, Heero sat opposite his boyfriend and looked Duo squarely in the eye.
 
"Duo, we really need to talk," Heero began only to be interrupted.
 
"I had no right to snap at you like that, Heero. I'm sorry,' said Duo and hung his head, unable to meet Heero's eyes.
 
"Forget that for a moment, Duo. It's not the snapping at me that has me worried, it's the reason behind it that's got me concerned."
 
"Pardon?"
 
"Duo, this isn't like you. You're a happy person, not prone to biting my head off like that. There's another reason for your irritation and I'm pretty sure I know what it is."
 
"You do?"
 
Heero took one of Duo's hands into his own. "You've been working flat out these past few weeks, you've hardly had a break at all. If it isn't the consults, it's surgery; when it's not surgery, it's call outs. Duo, you can't keep going like this, you're running yourself into the ground and if you don't stop soon you're going to collapse from exhaustion."
 
"I get a break on the weekends, take Scythe for a ride or go to a show with you on a Sunday," retaliated Duo.
 
"That's not enough. Half an hour ride isn't going to relax you much and going to the shows, well that's just as emotionally draining on you as doing consults. I know, I'm the one in the saddle so I can well appreciate the stress you're under from watching and helping."
 
"Heero, I can't afford the time off for a vacation," said Duo wearily. "I know what you're saying and I do agree with you, but the practice is expanding so much that I have no choice but to keep going. If I don't then the clients will go elsewhere and there goes my bread and butter."
 
"Duo, I'm not suggesting that you give up your clients and I'm not suggesting that the practice cut back at all. But that is the root of the problem. Look, the way the practice is growing it's getting too much for just you to handle, even with my help. May I make a suggestion?"
 
"Do I have to accept it?"
 
Heero smiled. "No. No, you don't but I would like you to hear me out before you shoot me down in flames."
 
"Okay." Duo gave the accountant a lopsided grin.
 
"The practice is well and truly established with a steady clientele and a good cash flow. Maybe you should consider taking on another vet to share the load or even a vet nurse. The practice can afford to pay for an additional employee. I'd suggest another vet, that way you can have a couple of days off a week."
 
Duo's eyes darkened as he considered Heero's words. "The paperwork is still going to be there though and if I do take on another vet then the paperwork is going to increase too."
 
"That brings me to my next suggestion." Heero licked his dry lips.
 
"I can't stretch to a receptionist as well."
 
"I wasn't going to suggest that."
 
"Then what?"
 
"I'll quit the accountancy firm and work here full time. I can be both vet nurse and receptionist as well as keep the books for you, that way you would only need to hire another vet."
 
Duo's eyes widened at Heero's proposal and he thought deeply before replying. "You'd do that? You'd quit your well paying accountancy job and work here with me?"
 
"Hai, I would, and it's not that well paying either. Duo, you need help whether you're prepared to admit it or not and I'm not about to stand back and watch you work yourself into the ground. I care about you, I love you and I won't have you collapsing of exhaustion. You can see for yourself just how much of an impact these past few weeks have had on out relationship. You're working non stop and it's making you irritable, snappy and we don't have any time for us anymore. I miss you, Duo. I miss our cuddling on the couch, the occasional dinners we used to enjoy, giving you riding lessons and doing the horses together." Heero trailed off and lowered his eyes.
 
"I don't know, Heero. This is something I'm going to have to think about; there's a lot to consider." Duo sat back in his chair and ran his hands through his bangs. "I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, it is. But, I need time to think this through, look at the facts, the ins and outs, the pros and cons before I make a decision."
 
"I wouldn't expect you to make up your mind here and now. What I've suggested is simply a proposal, a possible solution to the problems we're experiencing right now. Look..." Heero fished in his briefcase and pulled out a folder. "I went over everything from the financial side of the practice through to the man hours and all that other stuff. I've set it all out so you should be able to follow it okay. It will give you a clearer idea of how the practice could work and still be a profit making business with the employ of another vet, yourself and myself in the capacity of receptionist, bookkeeper etc. Take a look while you think over what I've said."
 
Duo took the manila folder and opened it. He had a quick scan through and had to admit it looked very professional. "I think I might go through to my bedroom for a bit and look over this as well as consider your proposal. Would you mind?"
 
"Of course not. I'll go saddle up Zero and take him for a ride; I think we could both do with a little time out."
 
"Thanks, Heero." Duo stood up and walked around the table to where Heero was still sitting. He leaned down and kissed his boyfriend. "I am sorry I snapped at you before, you were only helping me and I let my irritation get the better of me. I wouldn't have blamed you if you'd thrown those swabs in my face."
 
"I wouldn't do that to you, Duo," smiled Heero. "If I did, it would only mean I had more of a mess to clean up."
 
Duo chuckled. "Can't say I'd fancy a face full of bloody swabs either."
 
Smiling, Heero returned the kiss. "You go think about what I've said and have a look through the folder, I'm going to go take Zero for that ride, I should be back in about an hour to an hour and a half."
 
"Okay." Duo picked up the folder and his mug and headed through to the solitude of his bedroom to think over Heero's proposal.
 
Dumping his mug into the sink, Heero sighed. He hoped Duo would look at his suggestion for what it was. It had been tricky to say the least, approaching the vet with the problems Heero could see raising their heads. Duo was so flat out working he didn't have the time to see what was happening. At least Heero was still in one piece so that had to account for something. Grabbing his boots and pulling them on, Heero headed out the back door and to the paddock to fetch Zero. A good gallop would help to clear his head and put him in a better mood.
 
* * *
 
Duo flopped onto his bed and thought on Heero's words. If he sat back and took a long close look at the current situation he had to admit Heero was right. He was working himself into the ground for the practice and slowly but surely it was killing him. He couldn't remember the last time they had shared a cuddle, a proper cuddle. He had problems remembering when they last went out for dinner or to a movie or any place that wasn't a client's home or a horse show.
 
"God, I'm tired," he muttered to the walls and then flipped open the folder. Heero's neat handwriting stared back at him and Duo began to read. The income and outgoing were clearly listed in columns, the number of man hours spent in consults and surgery added up and then there was the outside calls as well. If Duo hadn't been feeling tired before he would certainly be exhausted now simply by looking at the number of hours he'd put in; and that was only two weeks ago!
 
Heero did have a valid point. Duo needed to slow down and soon otherwise he would find himself not only worn out but without his partner. Heero wouldn't wait for him forever and Duo sorely missed their snuggle and make out sessions.
 
He flipped over a couple of pages and studied the information. Heero had also taken the time to outline a viable working arrangement should Duo decide to take his suggestion. The hours the new vet would work and the hours he would work were a lot more manageable. The roster system Heero outlined gave Duo every second weekend free and spared him a couple of consults during the week as well. Duo could clearly see that there was room for expansion without causing any further stress.
 
He smiled as he noted that Heero had also thought to include the projected hours for himself as receptionist come vet nurse.
 
No matter which way Duo looked at it, the figures added up. He sighed again. Heero was very thorough in what he'd done and the sensible thing would be to go along with it. Duo wasn't stupid; he knew that what he was looking at was the best option, not only for the sake of his health but also his relationship. The practice would still continue to grow and with a second vet he could take on more clients without pushing himself.
 
The only thing Duo wasn't comfortable with was Heero giving up his accountancy job and working for the practice full time.
 
Duo rolled to his back and studied the ceiling. He let his mind wander where it wanted and mulled over the problem.
 
"That's it!" he suddenly said and sat up on the bed. He grabbed a pencil and quickly did some calculations. When he'd finished he compared his notes to what Heero had suggested and a smile spread over his face. "Perfect." Now all he had to do was wait for Heero to come home to let him know his decision.
 
Feeling happier than he had in days, Duo left his bedroom and went to do battle with Gertrude the washing machine and get the surgical cloths washed. Heero wouldn't be back for a while yet so he could do those, check on Rusty and Snowy then see what he could find in the 'fridge for dinner.
 
Humming to himself, Duo set about his tasks, eagerly awaiting Heero's return so he could put his decision and proposition to the accountant.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc......
 
 
[1] Doona: This is like a quilt, usually thick with feathers or man made fibers and is extremely warm. I guess in other places in this world they are called things like Duvets, Quilts, Comforters etc. Here in Aussie we call them Doonas. :)