Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 38 ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC
 
Pairing: 2x1
 
Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!
 
Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai and Ryouga.
 
Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com
http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/FrontPage1.html
http://adultfanfiction.net
 
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*
 
 
"Equinity"
 
October. 2004 ShenLong
 
Chapter 38
 
 
As the sunlight began to filter through the drapes Duo began to stir. He felt warm and happy, and with his sleep fogged brain it took him a few minutes to work out why. Slowly his mind came on line and he figured out that it wasn't just the doona that was keeping him warm but rather the skin of the body currently spooned up behind him and the arm that lay possessively across his waist. Duo gave a soft smile as the reason for his happiness became apparent; it was attached to the body that was currently using him as a cuddle toy. Who would have thought that Heero would like to cuddle in bed? Duo would never have picked the normally stoic accountant as one who liked to cuddle like this but secretly it pleased him. He gave a satisfied sigh and draped his own arm over the top of the one that lay over his waist. He took a quick glance at the clock, the small LCD display telling him it was only eight and that meant he could enjoy this feeling of intimacy for a while longer before getting up and starting the day.
 
With Heero still sleeping Duo analyzed what had transpired between them last night and warmed as he recalled their lovemaking. It had been wonderful, no doubt about that. Duo was still on an endorphin high with just the thought of what they had done. He'd enjoyed every moment of it, every moan, every thrust, every whimper of need. His body positively thrummed with satisfaction. Did he have any regrets? No. Despite having denied himself the pleasure he'd enjoyed when making love to Heero last night for so long, he was still glad that he'd waited to lose his virginity. He understood now that Heero wasn't like so many of the others, Heero didn't want him simply to bed him; Heero was here for the long haul and that meant the world to Duo.
 
It had taken a long time for Duo to learn to trust Heero, to accept that Heero intended to stay here with him as a partner both in business and relationship, but gradually the accountant had proved his intentions and reinforced them time and time again. Slowly but surely he'd worked his way into Duo's life and heart until Duo couldn't imagine life without the dark haired man. Duo knew he was hopelessly in love with the other man and what made it even better was, he knew now that Heero was also totally in love with him.
 
Warm fingers lacing themselves within his own alerted Duo that Heero was awake and the vet began to roll over to face his partner and now lover. "Hey," he said softly.
 
"Hey, yourself," murmured Heero. "Sleep well?"
 
"Like a log," replied Duo with a smile. "How about you?"
 
"I'd say that would have to be the best night's sleep I've had in a long time."
 
"Oh, yeah? The guest room bed not comfortable enough for you?" teased Duo.
 
"Oh, it's comfortable enough but it doesn't come with a built in bed warmer," replied Heero, giving the vet a dose of his own teasing.
 
"Why, Heero. I'm affronted that you should think of me only as a mere bed warmer," Duo said and then pouted, feigning indignation.
 
"Oh, you're much more than a bed warmer, Duo," replied Heero as he leaned in close and placed a kiss to Duo's forehead. "You're also one hell of a lover," another kiss, "perfect seducer..." another kiss, "and totally mine." Heero placed his last kiss to Duo's lips, showing the vet just how much Heero loved him.
 
Duo's violet eyes were misty when the kiss broke and he snuggled closer to Heero. "I think I could get used to this," he breathed. "Waking up each morning with you beside me. Duo was fully aware that they were both still completely naked underneath the covers and his morning erection was trying to make itself known. "How are you feeling this morning? Not too sore I hope as you have to compete this afternoon."
 
Heero flexed the muscles of his backside and moved his legs a little. "Surprisingly, I feel quite alright," he replied. "Although once I'm in the saddle that could be an entirely different story."
 
"I didn't hurt you last night, did I?" Duo asked, his voice full of concern.
 
Heero chuckled. "No, Duo. You didn't hurt me but I do feel rather sticky."
 
"If I recall correctly I did say something about cleaning up properly," Duo reminded his lover with an arch of his eyebrow.
 
"Hai, you did, but I was too comfortable to move."
 
"Then you only have yourself to blame," snickered Duo.
 
"Yes, mom," retorted Heero with a grin. "I think it might be a good idea to take a shower."
 
"I agree," replied Duo. "I'll race you." And with an evil smile, Duo tossed back the covers and took off for the bathroom, Heero hot on his heels.
 
* * *
 
Sitting in the kitchen a short while later and sipping on a mug of tea, Heero watched his lover making scrambled eggs for them both. The hot shower had eased his body and he felt fine. There was a soft, subtle ache in his rear end but nothing you could call painful and he was glad that Duo had ignored his pleas to be pounded hard and fast. As much as he'd enjoyed their lovemaking he wanted to be sure he was okay to ride. He had a demon to conquer. A plate of scrambled eggs placed in front of him drew him from his thoughts and he looked up at his partner. "Thanks," he said and caught Duo's wrist, giving it a slight squeeze before releasing it.
 
Duo smiled and sat down to partake of his own breakfast. He lifted a forkful of the fluffy, yellow eggs to his mouth when he distinctly heard the slam of a car door. He stifled a groan.
 
Heero also heard the noise and looked at Duo. "You expecting someone?"
 
"No. You?"
 
Heero shook his head.
 
Duo dropped his fork back to the plate and stood up, crossing the kitchen floor to peer out the kitchen window. "I might have guessed," he muttered, although there was a smile on his face.
 
"Who is it?" asked Heero as he continued to eat his breakfast.
 
"Three guesses," replied Duo.
 
"Hilde?"
 
"Nope."
 
"Feed man?"
 
"Wrong again."
 
"Not..."
 
"Yup. Blondie," snickered Duo as the knock came at the back door. Duo opened it to admit one Quatre Winner, closely followed by Trowa. "I must say your timing sucks, Quatre."
 
"You didn't seriously think I would wait until this afternoon after the show to come and see my four legged nephew now, did you?" replied the blonde as he entered the kitchen. "Come on, get over it and eat your breakfast so we can see the new arrival." Quatre headed for the kettle and filled it up.
 
Trowa gave an apologetic smile. "I did try to get him to wait until this afternoon but you know what Quatre's like."
 
"No need to explain, Trowa," said Duo as he sat back down to eat his rapidly cooling eggs. "I'm surprised he wasn't hammering on the door at seven."
 
"It would have been six but I managed to keep him occupied for a bit longer," said Trowa with a smirk.
 
Heero nearly choked on his eggs. "Thanks, Duo," he said as the vet thumped him on the back. "Too much information, Trowa," he said to the brunette who simply shrugged and relaxed into a chair.
 
Trowa watched the accountant and the vet carefully. He sensed there was something slightly different about the pair but was unsure exactly what. He opted to reserve his judgment for the moment until he'd gathered more information. Quatre placed a mug of coffee before him and Trowa wrapped his long fingers around it.
 
Sitting in the only remaining chair, Quatre took a sip of his coffee before turning his teal eyes on Duo. "I want details," he said simply.
 
Heero did choke this time and Trowa thumped him on the back. Once Heero was able to breathe again the conversation continued but Trowa had witnessed enough to confirm his suspicions and made a mental note to speak with Duo on the side when he could get the chance. Still oblivious to what his partner was thinking, Quatre began to drill Duo on Scythe's foaling and the newborn.
 
Duo answered the questions to Quatre's satisfaction while still managing to get his breakfast down his throat. It wasn't quite as bad as he'd feared it was going to be, Quatre didn't demand all the finer points of the foaling, just the basics, which was probably a good thing as Duo didn't think that the gory details would go down too well given that they were trying to eat their breakfast at the time. As soon as Duo had finished eating, Quatre was on his feet and demanding to be shown his 'nephew'.
 
Heero dumped the dishes in the sink, promising he would wash them later and the four headed out the back door and towards the paddocks and stable block. Heero went for the feed shed to get the horses feeds as they hadn't fed them yet, whilst Duo took the other two to the paddock where Scythe and little Shinigami were. Hearing the approach of the humans, Scythe gave a loud whinny.
 
"At least someone is pleased to see us," said Quatre as they approached the paddock fence.
 
"Actually, I think she's calling for her breakfast,” snickered Duo. "We haven't fed them yet."
 
Trowa looked up to where Heero was walking down the path from the stables, a feed bucket in each hand. Scythe gave another loud neigh as she smelt food in the air. Duo took the feed bucket from Heero and the three walked across the paddock to Scythe's feed bin and the waiting mare. Heero continued on into Zero's paddock and put the stallion's feed in before returning to fetch the gray that was making impatient noises from inside the stable block.
 
The foal heard his mother's calls and raised his sleepy head. Hearing the footsteps and voices of the humans as they neared so he thrust his front legs out and stood up, eyeing the approaching people and then deciding it was safer to hide behind his mother.
 
"Morning, Scythe," said Duo as he tipped the feed into the bin and mixed it around. Scythe blew softly through her nostrils and waited for the human to finish mixing up her breakfast. Once he had she lowered her muzzle and began to eat.
 
Quatre's eyes were fixed on the foal as they approached. His face lit up into a grin as he observed the small creature get to his feet and hide behind his mother. "Oh, Duo. He's so sweet," he cooed as he continued to watch. A dark muzzle followed by the rest of the head peered around at them from behind Scythe's rump.
 
"He looks intelligent," stated Trowa as he appraised the animal. "What does Heero think of his potential?"
 
"Heero really isn't saying much in that department. I think he wants to wait and see how he grows and develops. He seems happy enough though with the foal's overall conformation so far, so I guess we will just have to play the waiting game."
 
"What did you say you had called him again?" asked Quatre as he inched closer to the foal, squatting down to make himself less threatening.
 
"Shinigami," replied Duo as he observed the foal playing 'peek-a-boo' with Quatre.
 
"Shini - what?"
 
"Shinigami," repeated Duo.
 
"You can call me thick if you like, but what the hell does that mean?" said Quatre softly as he studied the foal who was inching a little closer to this human, his curiosity winning him over.
 
"Shinigami is Japanese for God of Death or Grim Reaper as you guys know it," said Heero as he joined the group, having put Zero out into the paddock with his breakfast.
 
"Nice choice of name," said Trowa. "I take it you're intending to leave the opposition for dead then when you compete on him in the future?"
 
"One can always hope," replied Heero.
 
"Not in the literal sense, I hope," snickered Quatre. "Who's a sweet fellow?" murmured Quatre as Shinigami inched even closer and began to extend his muzzle out to sniff at this person.
 
"There's a lot of 'ifs' in the equation yet, Quatre. It will be some time before we can even begin to think of him competing. Let him grow up first and see how he develops. All things considered, everything points towards him being a successful showjumper; but that will remain to be seen." Heero studied the foal again. Now that the animal was a few hours older his lines could be seen a little clearer. He was gangly looking, all legs with a small body, but foals were like that, you didn't really get to see their potential until they were at least yearlings.
 
Shinigami sniffed at the human, the scent filling his nostrils. He didn't sense any danger but was wary all the same. Instinct was a hard thing to overcome and it was in his instincts to smell for danger and react accordingly. It had been passed down through generations of ancestors and had served the horse well, which is why it was still around after so many millions of years. When the human sneezed, Shinigami jumped, snorted and spun around, retreating behind his mother and automatically seeking out her udder to quell his fears with the warm milk.
 
Quatre was a little disappointed that he'd had to sneeze right then, just as the foal was getting closer but he consoled himself with the thought that he'd have many more opportunities to spend time with the foal. He straightened up and paused for a moment as the blood flow returned to his cramped legs. "Oh, I almost forgot. I brought a treat for the new mother." Quatre walked over to where Scythe had her head still buried in the feed bin. Although she ate slower these days she rarely lifted her head from the feed bin until all the food was gone.
 
Standing next to his boyfriend, Heero let his arm drift around to encircle Duo's waist as he watched Quatre trying to coax Scythe to lift her head from the feed. "I wonder what he has for Scythe?" said Heero as he watched the blonde's attempts.
 
"Something tells me it isn't a bag of carrots," snickered Duo as he observed Quatre fishing in his pockets.
 
"Sugar cubes," said Trowa. "He thought the mare might like something different."
 
"This could be interesting," muttered Heero. "I don't think Scythe's had sugar before. I know Zero doesn't like it, he prefers carrots and after the incident with the apple..."
 
Heero didn't need to say anymore about that, they could all still recall Quatre, covered in slobber from the apple that Zero had pinched and thoroughly enjoyed.
 
Somehow Quatre managed to coax the mare's head out of the feed bin long enough to offer her a sugar cube. Scythe sniffed at it and then dismissed it, opting to return to her food, but Quatre wasn't one to give up so easily. He grabbed the mare's halter and gently pushed the sugar cube into her mouth, giving her no option other than to taste it. At first she wasn't sure what to make of it; then the sugar began to melt and the sweetness hit her tongue. Scythe's eyes appeared to glaze over as she crunched what was left of the sugar, rolling the sweetness around on her tongue and enjoying it immensely.
 
"Well, I'll be," said Heero as he watched in amusement.
 
"She likes it," snickered Duo.
 
"I'd say loves it would be more to the point. You think Quatre's going to be okay?" Trowa said with a touch of concern mixed with a hint of laughter.
 
Scythe had decided she liked this new treat very much and wanted more of it; lots more to be exact. She could smell it on the human and began to nudge Quatre with her nose, asking for more of the sweet treat. Quatre fumbled in his pocket before bringing out another sugar cube and placing it on the palm of his hand for the mare who lipped it up, a look of rapture on her face. Seconds later it had also been eaten and Scythe was nosing around Quatre looking for even more.
 
"Hey, shit, gimme a break for a second, girl. I can't... awww crap..." Quatre was doing his best to get the remaining sugar cubes out of his pocket whilst being molested by a determined mare.
 
"Ohhh, I think we should intervene," said Heero.
 
"Nah, let him handle it," snickered Trowa. "He deserves it after all the fussing he's done, nearly driving me insane to bring him out to see the foal."
 
"Could get messy shortly," sniggered Duo as he watched Quatre trying to fend off the determined muzzle that licked, nosed and basically slobbered all over him.
 
Scythe had no intention of letting the human leave without getting the remainder of the sugar she could smell. She was persistent in her attempts, searching the form with her nose, wuffling happily as her 'begging' was rewarded. The sugar was sweet and it seemed that Scythe couldn't get enough of it. Behind her, Shinigami watched as his mother 'attacked' the human. He was trying to puzzle out in his little mind why his mother would be reacting to the creature in this way. She wasn't showing any fear at all and that went against the foal's instincts. He gave a small snort of indignation at being ignored in favor of this other creature.
 
"Uh oh, someone's not happy," snickered Duo as he watched the foal.
 
"I think jealous would be a more apt term," said Heero in an amused tone.
 
The trio watched as Shinigami, his nose out of joint at being ignored by his mother in favor of this... this creature, decided to reassert himself. He snuck forward and sized Quatre up. Quatre was still too occupied with Scythe to see what was going on. The foal, having determined his opposition, darted forwards and attempted to bite Quatre, Quatre saw it coming at the last minute and ducked sideways out of range, not that the foal could have done much damage anyway, he didn't have any teeth as yet, just hard pads, his teeth would come through in a week or two. Scythe also jumped to the side, knocking Quatre flat on his back as she did so.
 
"Quatre!" yelled Trowa, sprinting forward as the blonde hit the deck.
 
"She's only protecting her baby," [1] yelled Duo as he turned to help out by trying to grab Scythe.
 
"So am I," [1] retorted Trowa as he reached the Inspector and helped him to his feet.
 
Shinigami had taken off across the paddock in fright when Quatre had ducked and then fallen, Scythe was right behind him having evaded Duo's attempt to grab her. The pair made an impressive sight, nostrils flared, tails kinked up over their backs and snorting. Zero joined in from the next paddock, he wasn't sure what the fuss was about but if the mare was prancing around and snorting then he would too.
 
Heero watched the scene unfold before him, the amusement sparkling in his eyes as he did his best not to break out into laughter. It really was quite comical. As normality began to return so he thought it best to stop his snickering and see if all parties concerned were okay. He walked across to where Trowa and Duo were checking Quatre over. "You okay?" he asked the Inspector.
 
"Yeah, I'm fine," replied Quatre. "Just a bruised ass and ego. I can't believe that little devil tried to bite me," he grumbled.
 
"Quatre, come on back up to the house and I'll make you a nice hot cup of tea to settle your nerves," said Duo with a grin.
 
Scowling, Quatre followed, Trowa hovering beside him still not completely convinced that his partner was all right.
 
Heero took Quatre through to the lounge room and sat him on the couch as it was softer than the hard, wooden kitchen chairs. Trowa waited in the kitchen with Duo as the vet set the kettle to boil and began the task of making them all a drink. "I didn't know that Quatre was your baby," snickered Duo as he busied himself with the mugs and tried to fill the silence.
 
Trowa just shrugged. "Duo?" Trowa thought that now was probably as good a time as any to confirm his suspicions.
 
"Yeah?"
 
"I hope you don't mind me asking or saying this, but..." Trowa paused for a moment noting the slight tensing of Duo's shoulders. "You and Heero seem a little... different today. I have a feeling that something has changed in your relationship, and I mean that in a positive sense." Trowa watched the body language of the other man very carefully. Muscles flexed, tightened and then relaxed. Duo didn't turn to face him but rather stared off out into the paddock through the kitchen window.
 
"I didn't think it was obvious," Duo began. "You're right though, something has changed."
 
"Ah."
 
Duo turned around slowly to face the man, his eyes were bright and shining and his voice took on a soft, warm tone as he spoke. "Heero and I... we - we became a proper couple last night." Duo lowered his eyes a little, a soft smile playing over his lips as his memory provided him with 'still shots' from last night's lovemaking. "Oh, Trowa. It was incredible, Heero was incredible, the whole thing was..."
 
"Incredible?" Trowa said with a smile.
 
Duo looked up and chuckled. "Guess I look like a love struck teenager, huh?"
 
"No. No, you don't, Duo. You look like a man that has found his soul mate and is very much in love. From that description I'd say that Heero is one hell of a lover then and it was worth waiting for?"
 
"Trowa, you have no idea. It was sweet, romantic, sensual and I loved every minute of it. You were right you know when you said I should trust my instincts and only go all the way when I was comfortable with the idea. And you know what, Trowa?"
 
"No, what?"
 
"I still respect myself; and Heero."
 
Trowa walked across the kitchen and gave Duo a hug, much to the vet's surprise. "I'm happy for you, Duo. I really am. You and Heero make a good couple and I know he's just as smitten by you as you are by him. Enjoy yourselves, let the relationship deepen and grow as you discover more about each other. Hold onto that respect and you won't go wrong. And if by chance Heero should happen to hurt you then I'll be straight around to deck him."
 
The awkwardness of the moment was broken with Trowa's last words and Duo couldn't help but laugh. His eyes were moist as he looked into the emerald depths of his friend. "Thanks, Trowa. I value your advice and friendship." Further conversation between the two was ended with the whistling of the kettle and Duo turned back to making the drinks.
 
***
 
Knowing that Heero had the show to go to, Trowa and Quatre left after finishing their drinks. Quatre had grumbled about the foal and his attempt to bite him, then he muttered something about the colt being ungrateful. But both Heero and Duo knew that Quatre would be back, probably tomorrow with the grudge gone and more gifts for Scythe and another attempt to win the foal over. Duo found it quite amusing to say the least. Once their guests had departed the pair set about cleaning the stable, preparing the night feeds and making sure that had everything they needed for the show. Duo took a haynet out to Scythe whilst Heero hung one in the float ready for Zero. With everything ready, Heero fetched his clothes and boots from the house, Duo clipped his pager on and checked his cell 'phone before locking up and joining his boyfriend.
 
Heero placed the clothes in their protective bag on the back seat of the car, his boots on the floor behind the seat and then went to fetch Zero. Duo lowered the tail gate to the float and waited for the horse. Zero appeared fresh and eager to go. He eyed the float and tail gate and bounded up as Heero led him in. This time Heero was sure to duck under the front bar and avoid the haynet. Tying Zero up, Heero exited the float and went to the back where Duo had secured the tail chain and was preparing to lift the tail gate up. They hoisted it up together and slid the holding bolts home.
 
"All set?" Duo asked as they walked back to the car.
 
"As ready as I'm ever going to be," replied Heero.
 
Duo wrapped his arms around Heero and gave him a deep kiss. "I had to do that now, don't know when I'm going to get another chance,” Duo said with a smile. "You're going to do just fine, Heero."
 
"Thanks for the vote of confidence," replied Heero and then returned the kiss. "I love you, Duo Maxwell."
 
"Love you too, Heero."
 
They got into the car, strapped on their seat belts and with the engine purring, set off for the show.
 
* * *
 
The grounds of Salsbury Manor, where Lady Une lived and hosted the annual agricultural show, were alive with activity when Heero pulled up at the entrance gate. He showed the gate steward his passes and was waved through, a second steward pointing him in the direction he needed to go for the ring events. The car glided slowly across the grass as Heero guided it expertly around the grounds perimeter to where the horse floats were parked. He found a suitable spot with a large tree behind them and backed the float in. Once the engine was cut the two men got out and went to lower the tail gate and get Zero off the float.
 
The gray came down the ramp with his nostrils flared and tail kinked up. Zero looked around and gave a couple of snorts, seemingly growing another four inches in height as he danced on the end of the lead rope.
 
"Show off," muttered Duo with a grin.
 
"Settle down, Zero," growled Heero as the horse tried to tug him around, wanting to see everything there was going on around him. Heero ran a soothing hand over the gray's neck and Zero began to calm a little. "I think I'll walk him around for a few minutes, Duo. Try and get him to settle a bit."
 
"Okay. I'll go hunt up some water and tie the haynet to the outside of the float," replied Duo as he fished around in the trunk of the car for the water bucket and spare haynet.
 
"Thanks." Heero took the horse away from the cars and floats, letting him get a good look at all the activities. There were a couple of hack classes going on in two rings whilst in the third, the jumping course was being raised for the C grade championships. Heero wandered in the general direction of the jumping ring, wondering if the course set for the C grade would remain the same for the Open class. He passed a few familiar faces as he walked and nodded his head to those that said hello. The more he moved around, the more Zero began to settle until the stallion was eventually quite relaxed. Heero headed back to the float where he found Zero's water bucket and haynet waiting. There wasn't any sign of Duo though. Heero frowned and tied the horse up, checked Zero couldn't get a leg over the lead rope and satisfied himself that the horse was comfortable munching on his haynet. Heero then began to scan around, wondering where Duo might have gone.
 
He spotted the familiar braid over by the pony ring and began to walk across. As he neared so he noticed Hilde with Duo and smiled. No doubt the other vet had been keeping an eye out for them and had collared Duo as soon as she knew they'd arrived. Heero snickered to himself knowing that Hilde had probably been grilling Duo over Scythe's delivery. If that was the case then Heero was glad he'd been walking Zero around and avoided the conversation.
 
"Hey, Hilde. How's it going?" Heero asked as he stood next to Duo.
 
"Heero! I'm doing well, I was just saying to Duo here about how nice it is to be an official for a change." The woman grinned at Heero and flapped the blue official ribbon for emphasis.
 
Heero rolled his eyes and poked Duo in the ribs. "You want to watch out for her, a little bit of power has gone straight to her head. Next thing you know she'll be trying to take over the practice," he teased.
 
"Not bloody likely," returned Duo. "I'll soon bring her back to earth. A few rectal exams and a couple of anal gland cleanings should do the trick," he replied, his face schooled into neutrality.
 
"You wouldn't," said the woman in mock shock.
 
"Watch me," grinned Duo.
 
"Ohhh, now if that isn't prejudice, I don't know what is."
 
"Hey! What ever happened to equal rights?"
 
"I'm not a feminist."
 
"And I'm not a chauvinist."
 
"I think you should quit now, Hilde. You're not going to win this round," chuckled Heero as he listened to the friendly banter.
 
Hilde gave the other vet a punch to the arm. "This is going to mean war, you know that, don't you?"
 
"Bring it on, baby," Duo replied a feral look in his eye.
 
"Shall I get out the boxing gloves and whistle now?" said Heero with an arch of his eyebrow.
 
"Maybe later," snickered Hilde. "I'm on official duty right now and it wouldn't do my image any good if I was to be seen beating the crap out of a fellow colleague."
 
Duo snorted. "You! Beat the crap out of me?! Dream on, woman!" Duo suddenly pounced and began to tickle the other vet.
 
Hilde collapsed to the ground in a fit of giggles. "No, no, stop, mercy..." she managed to gasp out in-between bouts of laughter.
 
"Give up?"
 
"Yes, I concede." Hilde drew in a couple of deep breaths and took the hand Duo offered to help her up from the grass. "This doesn't mean that you've won, you know. You may have taken this round but the battle will be mine."
 
Duo made to tickle the woman again and Hilde took off running, dodging around people before charging back towards Heero and hiding behind the accountant.
 
"Don't look at me to save you," said Heero with an amused smile.
 
"I didn't ask you to save me, just be a barrier between me and Duo."
 
Duo strolled up and stopped in front of Heero. Heero raised his hands up in surrender. "Don't look at me, I'm only an innocent bystander."
 
"It looks more like aiding and abetting to me. Hmmm... I guess I will wait until we get home before passing sentence and punishment on you." Duo gave Heero a wink. "As for Madame here... I'm certain I will be able to find lots of horrible jobs back at the surgery for her. The dog kennels could do with a good clean out."
 
The loud speaker interrupted their friendly teasing as a call went out for the duty veterinarian to report to the animal nursery.
 
"Saved by the bell, or should I say, loud speaker. Gentlemen, it has been fun but I'm afraid my expert services are required elsewhere. I'm out of here. Good luck, Heero. I'll be watching from somewhere in the crowd," said Hilde and gave the rider a hug. "Look after him, Duo, and try not to worry too much," she said as she hugged Duo too and then left.
 
"You think I should have told her that they only called for her to judge the children's pet competition?" said Duo as he watched the other vet walk away.
 
"Children's pet competition?" inquired Heero.
 
"Yeah. You think showjumping is a competitive sport, let me tell you, Heero, you've not seen anything until you've witnessed a kids' pet competition. It's a cutthroat competition and if little Johnny's ferret doesn't win then you risk the wrath of all his relatives. They'll hound you for weeks."
 
"Surely you're not serious?"
 
"Trust me, I think you have a better chance with a firing squad than the parents of some of those kids. All I can say is, I hope Hilde has health insurance, if not life insurance; she's gonna need it." Duo gave a grin, his violet eyes twinkling.
 
Heero shook his head. "Come on, Duo. I need to go to the secretary's tent and pick up my number. I also need to find out where a copy of the course plan is and then warm Zero up."
 
"Right with you, Heero." Duo fell into step beside his boyfriend as they went in search of the secretary's tent.
 
Heero's mind was on the competition ahead. He began to run through a mental check list, getting himself into the right mind set in readiness for competition. Beside him, Duo strolled, hands deep in his pockets as he tried to quell the butterflies in his stomach and wondered if he'd have any fingernails at all left by the end of the day.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.....
 
[1] A cookie to anyone who can identify where this line was taken from. ~_^