Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, they belong to Bandai, Sotsu etc. I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his show jumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 1
 
The thud of hooves reached Duo's ears as he walked down the lane way between the paddocks. Stopping at the fence that bordered the schooling paddock, Duo leaned against it, folding his arms across the top rail and leaning his chin on them. A smile graced his lips as he watched his partner and the horse beneath him approach the blue and white jump.
 
“Steady,” Heero crooned, sitting a little more firmly in his saddle. “This one's a little bigger than before.”
 
A gray ear cocked back to listen and then shortened stride as he sized up the jump. Hind legs gathered underneath, pushing the forelegs off the earth and into the air, hind legs soon to follow.
 
Heero leaned forward taking his weight into his stirrups and following the movement with his body and hands. As the horse landed, Heero sat back down, lowering his weight and shortening his reins. The horse was brought back to a walk, pats raining down as Heero praised the animal. Spotting Duo leaning on the fence, Heero turned the gray and rode over. “Been there long?” he asked as he brought the horse to a halt.
 
“Just long enough to see that last jump,” Duo replied. “He's certainly improving.” Duo fished in his pocket to produce a carrot and offer it to the pleased animal.
 
“If he keeps going like this I'd say he's going to be better than his sire,” Heero said as he dismounted and loosened the girth. “You were a good boy, Shini.”
 
Shinigami wuffled and nudged the nice human, he knew there were more carrots and he wanted them.
 
“Take it easy,” Duo protested as he reached into his pocket again. “You certainly don't follow your parents with your manners!”
 
Shini didn't understand a word and frankly he didn't care, just as long as his nudges got him more carrots then he'd keep doing it.
 
“You're spoiling him,” Heero stated as he ran his stirrups up.
 
“No, I'm not,” Duo replied. “He only gets the same as Zero and Scythe.”
 
“At least they ask for their carrots nicely. You shouldn't give him any when he nudges you like that, one day he'll do it and you won't have any carrots and he'll shove harder. I don't want to see you getting hurt.”
 
Duo could see the logic in Heero's words, horses were an animal that learnt by habit. If you rewarded bad behavior then they would repeat that behavior; it was plain common sense really. Giving Shini a pat to the nose, Duo changed the subject. “You going to ride Zero next?”
 
“Hai. I'll just take Shini up and brush him off first.”
 
“Okay. I've put all the night feeds in ready, I'm heading back to the house, consults start in an hour so I can get a head start on dinner. If I leave it all ready, would you mind cooking it?”
 
“Not at all,” Heero replied and snuck up to the fence. “It will cost you though.”
 
“Will it now?” Duo raised an eyebrow. “And just what is the payment required?”
 
“This.” Heero leaned forward and pressed his lips against his lover's, pushing his tongue into the vet's mouth and plundering it.
 
“Oh my. I think I should shop here more often if that's the type of currency you trade in.” Duo's eyes sparkled.
 
“Hmmm. A currency that consists of kisses, now that's something that could be worked out just for you, Doctor Maxwell.”
 
“As long as it's only for me,” Duo growled.
 
“But of course.”
 
“Good. I'll see you later then.” Duo stole another quick kiss and headed back to the house, Heero watched his lover leave and then took Shini back to the stables to unsaddle and brush the young stallion down.
 
* * *
 
Treize brought his big bay to a walk and watched Heero take Aries over the course. The horse was shaping up nicely, showing a good turn of speed as well as the ability to turn sharply. Treize had already received offers for the horse but turned them down. He wanted Aries to get a bit more competition experience under his belt before Treize would be ready to sell. It would also do Heero a lot of good to compete in some speed events, the experience one could gain would only help the younger rider when competing in international events.
 
So far Aries had only competed in six events, six events that had resulted in him winning three and placing in two others. One more win would see the horse upgraded from D grade to C grade and Treize wanted to be sure the horse was capable of tackling the higher jumps that came with the upgrade.
 
“That will do him for today,” Treize said as Heero brought the chestnut to a walk.
 
“He's going well,” Heero said patting the stallion as they walked the two horses around to cool them off. “Romeo's doing well too.”
 
“Yes, he is. I'll be able to start taking him out to shows soon if he keeps going the way he is, Treize said. “I think I'll give Aries a short break though. He's improved a lot but I don't want him upgraded just yet. I'd rather give him another three or four weeks before we take him out again.”
 
“Good idea, Heero replied.
 
“Did you get a letter from the E.F.A yesterday?”
 
“Hai, I did.”
 
“There's two more shows that the selectors will be at, we need to attend both and make a good showing if we're to make the team.”
 
Heero knew the selection for the Olympic team was slightly different to the Nations Cup selection. The selectors went around the various shows, watching and keeping tabs on the current A grade horses and riders that were placing consistently. From there they would make a list of those they were interested in and follow them a little more closely. Once they had seen enough, they would get together and decide on a short list, a list consisting usually of six to ten riders and horses that they thought were good enough to represent their country. That's where the similarities ended.
 
The Nations Cup hopefuls attended a training camp, a camp where they could work with coaches who would also have the opportunity to see any strengths and weaknesses, work with the riders on improving themselves and then make the final team selection. With the Olympic team it was slightly different. There was no training camp, the team was selected purely on their merits and show records.
 
Whilst this may seem a little harsh, it made sense too. Heero knew that there were top horses and riders from Australia currently competing overseas. They had taken themselves and their horses, usually to Europe, where they competed on the European circuit in an effort to gain further experience. Quite often some of these riders made it into the Olympic team. With that being the case, it just wasn't feasible for the E.F.A to hold a training camp.
 
“One of those shows has an ungraded table AM3 event, it's specifically for youngsters just starting out if I remember correctly,” Treize continued on. “It might be a good event to take Romeo and your Shinigami to.”
 
“Sounds okay. You have the details?”
 
“Yes. The program is back at the house along with the entry forms. I'll show it to you when we've finished working these animals today. There's still Goose to ride and Lionheart needs work on his striding.”
 
“Right you are,” Heero replied and turned Aries for the stables.
 
* * *
 
“Coffee?” Treize asked as he and Heero entered the house. All the horses had been worked, Goose jumping well, Treize pleased with the stallion's progress. He was a much stronger jumper than he had been at the Nations cup and Treize was hoping he would make the Olympic team.
 
Heero accepted the offer of coffee and the pair sat down in Treize's office to go over the show schedule. Heero had already entered Zero, but hadn't noticed the event Treize was talking about. He scanned the information with interest, it seemed the perfect event to introduce Shini to the game of show jumping
 
"Mind if I get a copy of the entry form from you, Treize? I've already sent mine with Zero's entry on it, I didn't realize there was a class suitable for Shini."
 
"No problem. Here, I'll copy you one now." Treize took the necessary forms and slipped them into his fax/copying machine. Within a couple of minutes Heero had the forms in his hand.
 
"I'll fill them out and post them when I get home," Heero said as he scanned the information once more.
 
"I'm going to post Goose's and Romeo's tonight too," Treize replied. "It will give them both experience if nothing else."
 
"True," Heero said and stood up. "I'd better get going, I've still got two horses to work back home. I'll see you tomorrow, Treize."
 
"Drive carefully."
 
Heero left and headed back to the surgery and his partner, a smile on his face.
 
* * *
 
Pulling into the yard behind the house, Heero spotted an unfamiliar horse float parked by the stables. Getting out he locked the car and wandered in the direction of the stable block. Duo must have an equine patient to treat and Heero wondered what the problem could be. He had his answer when he walked inside.
 
A small pony, roughly thirteen hands stood in the crush, at its head stood a young girl, an older man, probably the girl's father, was in conversation with Duo. Heero took a look at the pony but couldn't see any physical injury. The pony looked quite bright, but the young girl didn't look very happy. The older man turned as he heard Heero's footsteps.
 
"Ah, Heero," Duo began as his eyes alighted on his partner. "Mr Dennison, this is my vet nurse Heero Yuy. He will be helping out with the operation if you decide to go ahead with it."
 
"Nice to meet you, Mr Dennison," Heero greeted and shook hands with the man.
 
"Likewise, Mr Yuy." Mr Dennison turned back to Duo. "What's the prognosis if we don't operate?"
 
"Then the tumor will continue to grow. Eventually it will cause pain and begin to affect the animal's day to day life."
 
"I see." The man frowned, deep in thought. He turned his head and looked at the pony and the girl, then back to Duo. "Doctor Maxwell," he began and then shifted a little, obviously uncomfortable with what he wanted to say but knowing he had to say it. "It's not that I don't want you to operate, I do, I want the pony to be well and happy, he means the world to Susan. It's just, I don't know... the expense..."
 
Understanding what the man was trying to say, Duo gave him a warm smile and placed a hand to his arm. "Mr Dennison, I know it's an expensive operation and I do realize that you're not about to have that sort of money just sitting around. We can organize a payment plan for you if it will make things easier."
 
"You can?"
 
"Yes, we can. A lot of our clients choose a payment plan when it comes to their animals and operations. Mr Yuy is also the practice's accountant and I'm sure he will be able to sit down with you and work out a repayment plan that will suit your budget, that way the pony is okay, your daughter is happy, I'm getting paid and you're not going broke in the process."
 
Mr Dennison smiled at that. "You're a good man, Doctor Maxwell. Thank you."
 
"No problem. When would you like to book Sandy in?"
 
"The sooner the better I suppose."
 
"It would be advisable not to wait too long. The sooner we can remove the tumor the better all round for the pony and your hip pocket."
 
"When would you be able to do the operation?"
 
"If I just get my appointments book, I can let you know, Mr Dennison."
 
While Duo went to fetch his book, Heero wandered over to the pony and had a look at the offending tumor. He soon found the lump. It was about the size of a golf ball, just to the left of the pony's right foreleg under the chest area.
 
“He's gonna be all right, isn't he, mister?” The little girl's words drew Heero from his contemplation of the lump and he turned, crouching to speak with the child.
 
“Doctor Maxwell is an excellent vet. He will be able to fix your pony up for you.”
 
The girl raised a hand and began to stroke the shaggy pony's neck. “I hope he's going to be okay. We have a lot we want to do this year.”
 
“Do you?”
 
“Yeah. My dad said I can join the pony club. Sandy's a really good jumper and I wanna take him to shows and jump lots. Maybe one day I will be good enough to ride for Australia, you know, like that man, Dewy or something. The one that lives around here somewhere. I remember reading about him in the paper.”
 
Heero couldn't help but chuckle. “I think his name is Yuy.”
 
“Yeah, him. He's really great and his horse; wow.”
 
“Would you like to meet him and his horse?” Heero asked in amusement.
 
The little girl's eyes opened wide. “Would I ever! Do you know him?” The girl's voice took on a tone of suspicion.
 
“Sure do.”
 
“You're not kidding me?”
 
“Cross my heart.”
 
“I dunno. You don't seem much like a horsey person to me.”
 
Heero laughed and straightened up. “What's your name?”
 
“Susan, Susan Dennison.”
 
“Pleased to meet you, Susan. I'm Heero Yuy.”
 
“No way!”
 
“Heero?” Duo had returned with his appointments book and called his partner over.
 
The girl's eyes were as wide as saucers. Clearly she was in a dilemma, not sure whether to believe her idol really was the man in front of her or not.
 
“Come over here with me while I talk to the vet, then I'll take you out to the paddock to meet Zero if your dad says it's okay.” Heero gave the girl a smile. Eagerly she tied the pony's lead rope to the side of the crush and walked over to the nice vet with the man.
 
“Ah, Heero. I can book Sandy in for surgery on Thursday afternoon. Will you be free to assist me then?” Duo asked his partner, spotting the girl by his side and giving her a warm smile.
 
Heero ran a mental check through his head. “Should be fine. I can finish up at Treize's a little earlier if I start earlier. Zero can be worked later after the surgery.
 
“Good. I'll book the pony in for Thursday, Mr Dennison. If you could please bring him into the hospital that morning, it would be appreciated.” Duo went on to explain the pre-op procedure as well as what to expect afterwards. Heero felt a tug on his hand and looked at Susan.
 
“You weren't kidding me, were you?”
 
“No, I wasn't. Want to meet Zero?”
 
“Can I? That would be so cool.”
 
“We'd better ask your dad then.”
 
Susan politely interrupted and asked permission to see the 'famous' Zero. When Mr Dennison found out just who Heero was, he granted that permission, his jaw dropping in awe.
 
“Susan does nothing but talk about you, Mr Yuy. She idolizes you and that horse of yours, she wants to be just like you.”
 
Heero blushed. “I'm nothing special, Mr Dennison. Anyone can achieve what I have if they're dedicated enough.”
 
Mr Dennison just grunted and turned back to the vet who had been watching the entire conversation with a smile on his face and twinkle in his eye. Heero took the young girl to see Zero, the gray wuffling in delight when the smaller human fed him carrots. Susan ohhed and ahhed over Zero, asking Heero all sorts of questions about Zero and what it was like to be riding at international level.
 
Reluctantly, Heero started back towards the stables when he spotted Duo walking towards them, calling out that Mr Dennison was ready to go. Susan thanked Heero, got his autograph and went back to her father with a big smile on her face.
 
“Someone's got a female chasing him,” Duo teased after Susan and her dad left.
 
“She's a little girl, Duo.”
 
“Doesn't matter. It's still female attention. I thought you were gay?”
 
“She's a fan, not interested in anything other than Zero and what sort of training I'm doing to try and make the final team.”
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Duo continued to tease and then yelped as strong arms grabbed him and pulled him close. Duo found himself staring into blazing cobalt.
 
“I'll show you just how gay I am,” Heero growled and slid a hand down Duo's front to stop at Duo's crotch. He squeezed gently. “This is the sort of equipment I like. And as for training, I prefer to do my physical exercise in a bed utilizing this equipment.” Another squeeze was given to emphasize Heero's point.
 
Duo moaned. “You can train with my equipment any time you want, Heero.”
 
“Good. I think I need a workout session tonight.”
 
* * *
 
The entry forms for Shinigami were duly filled out and sent in, Duo agreeing that it would be the perfect way to start the young colt off. The day the show was on would be Duo's Sunday off from the practice so he was looking forward to going and playing groom to both horses.
 
Once Trowa and Quatre found out they also expressed their interest in attending. Hilde wanted to go too, but as it was her day to be on call she wouldn't be able to go too far from the practice. In the end she decided to go anyway, she would have her pager on her and if she headed to the show grounds for the time the class was due to run, she wouldn't be away from the Salsbury district for too long. Once Catherine knew Hilde intended to go and watch, she announced her intention to also attend.
 
The smile that lit up Hilde's face when Catherine made that announcement didn't go unnoticed by Duo and he gave a sly smile. He was becoming more and more certain that there was something developing between the two, but knowing how much privacy was valued, he didn't make any comment.
 
He'd ask Trowa about it later.
 
Sandy was brought in on the Thursday morning as promised. Susan wasn't with her dad as it was a school day. Duo saw that the pony was comfortable in a stable without any water or food as that would be a risk given the pony would need anesthetic. The morning consults went quickly, Hilde coming in just after lunch to take care of the two cat spays that were booked in leaving Duo free to operate on the pony. Catherine scrubbed up to assist Hilde and Heero did the same to help Duo.
 
With the operating theater all set, Heero led the pony inside, Duo having given it a mild tranquilizer earlier. The table was tilted and slings brought into place, sitting loosely around the pony's ribs and flanks. Duo carefully administered the anesthetic and as the pony began to slump so Heero operated the slings to take the weight.
 
Once Sandy was completely 'out', the pair maneuvered the slings and table, settling the animal onto the table and putting it into place. Heero settled the oxygen mask over the muzzle while Duo placed the front legs into the position he wanted to allow him to access the operation site easily. With the legs secured in place it was time to begin.
 
Heero played the part of vet nurse and handed Duo the instruments as he called for them. Carefully, Duo incised the skin and moved the muscle layers around until he located the tumor. He followed the neck of the tumor with his fingers until he located the base of it. Once he'd ascertained that it wasn't attached to any major blood vessels and should be easily removed, he set to work.
 
Instruments tinkled in the tray, swabs landed in the trash and only soft words were exchanged as Duo separated the tumor from its anchor point. It was a little awkward as the tumor was attached to the deeper muscles, but Duo managed to get it all and with a relieved sigh dropped the offending mass into the bucket Heero had ready.
 
“Big bugger isn't it?” Heero said as he peered into the bucket. “It only felt the size of a golf ball.”
 
“Tumors can be deceptive,” Duo replied as he began to stitch his patient up. “On the outside all you really see is the tip of the ice berg. The main body of the tumor tends to lay deeper inside.”
 
“I see.” Heero took another look at the tumor. It appeared to be just a lump of whitish tissue, something like a lump of gristle. It was about the size of a football. “No wonder you wanted to operate as soon as possible.”
 
“Yeah. While the outward appearance of the lump would appear to grow only marginally, it's inside where you can't see that the real growth is taking place. Left for too much longer and this pony wouldn't have been able to walk properly.”
 
“He should be okay now though?” Heero asked.
 
“He should be fine. I'm betting the tumor is benign, but I'll be able to confirm that once I've had a look at a sample of it under the microscope. Pass me the next needle would you?”
 
Heero handed over another needle and Duo continued to stitch. While Duo finished up, Heero began to tidy up. By the time Duo was inserting the last suture, Heero had all the instruments in the sink, washed and ready for the autoclave and the rubbish in the bin.
 
“Okay, time to bring him round,” Duo said and removed the oxygen mask from the pony's muzzle. The mask had also been supplying the gaseous anesthetic to keep the pony out whilst the operation took place. With the legs untied, slings in place and table ready to tilt, the two men waited for the pony to come around.
 
It wasn't long before hooves started to twitch and then the pony began to shake his head. Between them, Hero and Duo maneuvered the table and slings, assisting the pony to stand until he was completely awake and managing to stay upright under his own steam. Duo checked the wound site, replacing the gauze padding with a satisfied smile.
 
“He can go back into the stable now.”
 
Heero led the pony out of the operating theater and into the stable, making sure it was bedded thickly with clean shavings. “Is it okay for him to have some water?” Heero asked.
 
“Yes. Just fill the bucket half full though. I don't want him drinking too much too soon and causing complications.”
 
Heero did as Duo requested, making sure to bolt the door before he left the stable. Giving Duo a hand to finish up the cleaning, Heero put the bucket with the tumor into the 'fridge once Duo had taken a sample of it for the microscope. Slipping the slide underneath, Duo adjusted the microscope until he could see clearly. He studied the tissue on the slide, adding a drop of some chemical Heero couldn't even pronounce and then fiddling with the magnification again.
 
After studying the sample for a few more minutes, Duo gave a satisfied grunt and sat back, putting his hands behind his head.
 
“Good news?” Heero asked as he leaned against the bench.
 
“Yup. It's benign and I'm sure I got all of it. Sandy should make a full recovery and take his mistress around many more jumping courses.”
 
“That's great.”
 
“Yeah, it is. I'd better give Mr Dennison a call and let him know. They should be able to pick Sandy up tomorrow if all is okay with his stitches and his temperature remains normal.”
 
“I'm going to fetch Zero in and do some flat work with him. You want to join me on Scythe?”
 
“You know, that's not a bad idea, Heero.”
 
“Good. I'll go get them both then whilst you make your call and get changed.
 
“Thanks, Heero.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...