Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 11
 
Zero's head hit the dirt, neck folding and body sliding along the ground. As soon as he'd felt Zero falling, Heero had let the reins go completely loose and kicked his feet out of the stirrups. Zero's pitch forward unseated him but didn't throw him from the saddle.
 
Scrambling his legs together, Zero did his best to regain his balance. Pain shot up his injured leg as he put weight on it, causing Zero to whinny in pain and fear, he stumbled again, pain lancing through his body.
 
Heero pushed himself from the saddle, throwing himself to the side and managing to land on his feet more by luck than skill. He'd kept hold of the reins and as soon as he'd landed on his feet, Heero was beside his horse doing his best to calm the injured and frightened animal.
 
“Heero!” Duo cried out as he watched Zero fall. It was as if everything went into slow motion, Zero's hitting the ground, his leg twisted underneath him, Heero throwing himself from the horse's back and landing safely on the ground before darting in to try and calm the distressed animal. Before Duo was even aware of it, his legs were in motion, feet carrying him out of the collecting ring and sprinting across the grass towards the injured horse.
 
As Duo took off running, Zechs was close behind. Back in the collecting ring, Treize and Joe watched in disbelief.
 
“Zero, Zero. It's okay, settle down, son,” Heero pleaded doing his best to soothe the frightened stallion.
 
The calm, familiar voice penetrated Zero's pain filled mind and the gray stood still, his muzzle sought out the hand of his master and thrust into it, trembling and seeking reassurance.
 
“Easy, Zero. Duo will be here in a second, he'll make you all better,” Heero continued in the same, quiet tone. Heero could see his lover from the corner of his eye, sprinting across the ring with Zechs right behind him. Turning his attention back to his horse, Heero scanned over the animal and his breath hitched. Tears slid out from the corner of his eyes as he noted the swelling appearing in the gray's foreleg and the obvious pain his beloved horse was in. Hastily he scrubbed the tears away as Duo bolted up to him.
 
“Heero? Heero, are you okay?” Duo asked as he gave his lover a quick glance over and then turned to the horse. Duo was pretty sure that Heero wasn't injured, but he had to make certain.
 
“I'm okay,” Heero replied a little shakily. “Zero...” Heero paused, his voice choking him. “Please, Duo. Fix him, make him better for me. You have to make him better, you just have to, please?” The catch was evident in the voice, Heero was pleading for Duo to make the stallion better.
 
“I'll do my best, Heero,” Duo replied quietly. His eyes ran expertly over the foreleg and he shivered. He didn't like what he saw. Beside him Zechs came to a stop, breathing labored as he tried to force air back into his lungs from the sprint.
 
The medic arrived at the scene along with a steward, the questions flowing thick and fast, Heero doing his best to answer them through his distress. No, he wasn't injured. Yes, he was sure he hadn't hurt himself, it was Zero that was hurt. The medic did a quick check over Heero to be safe, despite the man's protests and insistence that it was only his horse that was injured. Meanwhile the steward began to question Duo. Who was he and what did he think he was doing?
 
Zechs stepped in on Duo's behalf, knowing that the other vet was more concerned with the horse and likely to snarl at the steward for holding him up in his diagnosis and treatment. "That's Doctor Duo Maxwell, this horse's vet and he knows what he's doing. If you could give him a few minutes to assess the damage I'm sure we will be able to move the horse and clear the ring shortly."
 
"That's quite okay," the steward replied. "It doesn't matter, take all the time you need to make sure the horse is safe enough to move. I just needed to be sure that the animal is being attended to by the proper person. We do have a vet on call here at the show but if that's the animal's regular vet then there's no problem. I'll go let the judge and other officials know what's happening."
 
"Thank you," Zechs replied.
 
The steward gave a nod and turned to the distressed rider. "I hope everything is okay and that the horse will be all right. I'll be back very shortly to give you a hand if you need it."
 
Heero gave the steward a small smile of appreciation. "Thank you."
 
Crouching down beside Duo, Zechs let his eyes roam over the horse's front leg and he gave a soft grunt. "What do you think?"
 
"It's the same leg he tore the ligaments and tendons in a few years back," Duo replied, his face a neutral mask. Fingers began to explore the swelling leg, feeling as best they could through the soft tissue to the bone beneath. With his heart in his throat, Duo turned to Zechs. "I'd like you to have a quick examination and tell me what you think."
 
Moving closer, Zechs let his slender fingers come forth to poke and probe the area. With each exploratory touch his face grew even more grim. "It's highly possible..."
 
"Yeah, that's what I thought," Duo replied, interrupting the other vet. He didn't want Heero suffering any further upset if he could help it.
 
"You really need an x-ray to confirm."
 
"I know. Best thing to do would be to try and strap the leg with a support bandage and get him back to the surgery as fast as possible," Duo said quietly. "All my drugs and stuff are in the trunk of my car and I don't have my car with me."
 
"I came straight from the surgery, my trunk is fully stocked. Feel free to use whatever you need, Duo." Zechs stood up. "I'll go get a painkiller and bandage for him, you strap the leg and I'll give him the drug. Once that's in him we can move him out of the ring."
 
"Thanks, Zechs."
 
"No problem. I'll be right back." Zechs turned, gave Heero's arm a reassuring squeeze and took off at a flat out run across the ring and back to where he'd parked his car.
 
"Duo?" Heero's voice quavered a little, tears still glistening in his eyes as he tried to read the vet's face.
 
As much as Duo wanted to take his partner into his arms right then, he couldn't. There were too many people around, the spectators all practically hanging over the ropes trying to see what was going on. "I won't lie to you, Heero. It's not looking good. There's a lot of soft tissue damage, I guess you already know it's the same leg as he hurt before?"
 
"Hai. I was pretty sure it was. Duo, is he going to be okay?"
 
"I don't know, Heero. I really don't. I think there may be a fracture in there. Until I can get him x-rayed I won't know for sure."
 
"Fracture?" Heero's voice cracked. "Oh, god no. Not a fracture. Zero, what have I done to you?"
 
The big gray pushed his muzzle against his master's chest. His leg hurt terribly, but the sadness radiating off his master tore at the stallion. He wuffled softly and nudged again.
 
Raising a hand, Heero petted the soft neck, stroked the horse's ears and rubbed gently between the gray's eyes. "Zero, I'm so sorry," Heero whispered as the tears coursed down his cheeks. He didn't give a damn who saw him crying. His best friend was hurt and he was the cause of it. Heero couldn't forgive himself.
 
Seeing the pain in his lover's eyes and the hitched tone to his voice as he spoke, Duo knew exactly what was going through Heero's mind. "It's not your fault, Heero. It's just one of those things. We knew Zero had one leg that wasn't as strong as the others due to his previous injury, there's nothing you could have done to prevent this from happening."
 
"I should have pulled him up after the wall. He didn't feel quite right and I didn't stop him. Oh, Duo. I should have stopped, I shouldn't have let him jump the gate. Now he's hurt badly and it's all my fault. What if his leg is broken? He'll have to be..." Heero couldn't finish. He turned and buried his face in Zero's mane and sobbed.
 
Unable to do much, Duo stepped beside the distraught rider and rubbed his back. He really hoped that Zechs wouldn't be too much longer with those painkillers. He needed to get Zero off the grounds and back home to the surgery where he could treat him properly, and take care of his boyfriend.
 
Zechs arrived back at the same time the steward returned. The judge also came across and spoke softly with Zechs before returning to his place and informing the commentator of what was going on. The commentator put over a quick announcement letting the public and competitors alike know that the horse had suffered some damage to a leg and that there were two vets currently treating the horse. Once they determined that the horse could be moved, the ring would be cleared and the jumps checked before the jump off would continue.
 
It did little to reassure Treize and Joe who were waiting patiently in the collecting ring.
 
Zechs administered the painkiller to Zero whilst Duo began to bandage the cannon bone and fetlock joint. Heero held onto his horse and did his best to soothe the frightened stallion. Within a couple of minutes the painkiller started to work and Zero felt a little better as the pain in his leg began to subside.
 
"I think we can move him now," Duo said softly as he noted the horse's reaction to the drug in his system.
 
"You need a hand?" the steward asked.
 
"Thanks but I think we should be fine," Duo replied. He turned to Heero. "I'll get Zechs or Treize to bring the car and float as close to the collecting ring as possible. The less distance Zero has to walk, the better for him and the leg."
 
"I agree," Zechs said. "Pass me the keys and I'll go get the car and float, if that's okay with you, Heero?"
 
"That's fine." Heero really didn't give a shit right now about anything other than his horse. Unbeknownst to Heero, the rider was starting to slip into mild shock.
 
Duo could see his partner's state and knew Heero was suffering from shock, but he declined to comment. He knew from experience that Heero wouldn't tend to himself at all until he knew Zero was okay.
 
Zechs took the keys from Duo and taking the steward with him to clear a path through the crowds to the collecting ring, he went in search of Heero's car. He passed through the collecting ring on his way to let Treize and Joe know what was going on.
 
"Fuck!" cursed Treize when Zechs told him of the suspected fracture to the gray's leg. "That's so unfair. They were doing so well too. What's going to happen now?"
 
Zechs shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not sure. Duo's going to take him back to the surgery and x-ray the leg. Once the results of the x-ray are known then the appropriate course of treatment can take place. I'm going to fetch Heero's car and float around so Zero doesn't have to walk very far."
 
"Okay. Is there anything I can do?"
 
"Maybe give them a hand? Oh, I think Heero could do with a little reassurance right now, he's pretty cut up about it." Zechs gave his lover a smile and headed off to fetch Heero's car.
 
"Damn!" muttered Treize. "Poor guy, he's tried so hard for this, it's terrible to see all that hard work get shot down." Treize really did feel bad for Heero. The rider had worked so hard, his horse had also shown tremendous heart and Treize had thought they were a certainty to make the Olympic team. Now this had to happen, and worse still they didn't know what the full extent of the injury was and if Zero would ever be able to walk, let alone jump ever again. Handing Goose over to Joe, Treize walked quickly into the ring to help his student and friend.
 
The progress was slow going, Zero refused to put the injured foreleg to the ground at all and had to sort of shuffle his hind legs then 'hop' with his one good front leg. With each 'step' the pain in Heero's heart grew. Duo had removed Zero's saddle, handing it to Treize who had taken it without a word. Now the three of them were doing their best to help Zero from the ring and into the waiting float. As they reached the collecting ring, many of the other competitors came forward to offer their assistance or sympathies. It touched Heero deeply to see how much his fellow riders did care and it was all he could do to keep the tears at bay.
 
Slowly but surely Zero managed to hobble out of the ring and onto the float. His leg burned and ached, the drug having relieved some of the pain, but not all. With a few grunts and groans, he was finally inside the float and let his head droop.
 
With Zero now safely inside the float, Duo wasted no time in getting the tail chain secure and the ramp put up. Fortunately, given the weather, they hadn't unpacked much from the car so there had only been Zero's water bucket to put back in. Duo hopped inside the float to take the bridle from Heero who was replacing it with the halter. Duo grabbed Zero's rug from the back of the car and between the two of them they managed to get it on the stallion. Duo didn't want Zero catching cold from the weather or shock the horse was bound to go into.
 
With Zero secure, the pair stepped out of the float and closed the small front door. Zechs hovered nearby as did Treize.
 
"Are you going to be okay?" Zechs asked. "I'm happy to come back with you and assist wherever possible if you need me to."
 
Duo turned to Heero who seemed to be sliding further into his own shock now that Zero was safely on the float. He could see his partner was in no fit state to make any proper decisions so Duo took over. "If you don't mind, Zechs, the help would be appreciated. You have more expertise in equine treatment than I do so your knowledge would be most welcome."
 
Zechs nodded. "I'll meet you at your surgery then. I can go on ahead and have the place ready for when you get there if you like?"
 
"Thanks, that would be a big help. I'll see you there." Duo fished in his pocket and passed a key over to Zechs. "That's for the drug room. All the equipment is in there."
 
"I'll call you as soon as we get back from the show to see what the word is," Treize said quietly.
 
"Thanks, Treize. I know Heero would appreciate that."
 
"If there's anything I can do to help all you have to do is say."
 
"I'll remember that."
 
Treize stepped over to Heero and gave the man a light hug. "It's going to be okay, Heero. Duo and Zechs will take care of Zero and they will make him better. Trust in them and their skills."
 
Heero's sorrowful eyes turned to his employer. "Thank you," he whispered and hugged back.
 
Zechs turned to Treize. "I'll call you later."
 
"Okay. Take care of Heero's horse."
 
"Will do."
 
Zechs went back to his own car, Duo and Heero climbed into Heero's and with Duo driving, left the show grounds and headed back to the veterinary practice as quickly as they dared.
 
* * *
 
Zechs pulled into the parking area behind the Maxwell Veterinary practice and continued on along the small driveway until he reached the stable area. Pulling the car over to the side and away from where Heero's float usually stood, Zechs killed the engine and got out, immediately heading for the stable block. He pulled the sliding door back and went inside. The drug room was locked, but Zechs had the key. He went to the crush and opened both ends in readiness for the horse. Next he found the hose and dragged it over towards the crush. Cold water was a great ally to have when treating swelling. After that he unlocked the door to the drug room and stepped inside. Things hadn't changed much from when he'd filled in as a locum for Duo when the vet had been sick. There were a few new additions, Zechs noted. The ultrasound machine being the biggest one. He spotted the x-ray machine and fetched it out, returning to bring the ultrasound machine out as well. Both gadgets would be handy to diagnose the problem with Zero's leg. Zechs already had suspicions that the leg was possibly broken and he shuddered at the thought. Broken legs in horses were extremely difficult to treat.
 
Having gotten everything ready that he could, Zechs stepped back outside to wait for Duo and Heero to arrive. It had begun to drizzle again, the dark clouds and lightly falling rain matching Zechs' mood. His mind played over the scene of the gray and his slip again and again, trying to picture each second of the fall and analyze what could possibly have happened to the leg. He gave a frustrated sigh. He would have to wait until they had the x-rays.
 
Duo drove as slowly and carefully as he could, trying to give Zero the smoothest ride home as possible. His heart was thumping in his chest, eyes locked on the road and a cold sweat running down his back as his mind wandered over all the possible scenarios related to Zero's injury. Heero sat silently beside him and Duo knew better than to try and make conversation. Whilst he wasn't ignoring his partner, he understood that Heero needed time alone with his own thoughts to come to terms with what had happened.
 
The clouds thickened above and a steady drizzle began to fall. Duo breathed a sigh of relief when the driveway to his practice came into view.
 
As soon as Duo brought the car and float to a stop, Zechs was there to assist. Heero got out of the passenger side and immediately went to the small door on the front of the float. He opened it and stepped inside to see how Zero was doing. Duo cut the engine and hopped out, nodding to Zechs as they both went to the back of the float and prepared to drop the tail gate.
 
“How did he travel?” Zechs asked.
 
“Okay, or at least I think so. There wasn't much movement from inside the float, but then again I did take it really slow driving home.
 
“Everything's ready for you.”
 
“Thanks.” Duo dropped the tail chain and called softly to Heero. “You can bring him out now.”
 
Gently, Heero coaxed Zero out of the float, the big gray moving slowly. Each painful step drove the knife of self hatred deeper into Heero's heart. His eyes began to tear again as Zero grunted softly when his injured limb accidentally touched the ground. It took a few minutes but finally Zero was off the float. With Zechs on one side, Duo on the other and Heero leading, the three men managed to get the stallion inside the stable block and into the crush. As soon as the gates were closed, Duo sprang into action.
 
Grabbing the portable x-ray machine he brought it over to the crush and began to set it up. Zechs was removing the support bandage that had been placed on the gray's leg earlier, Heero stood at the front of the crush just talking to and petting his horse, keeping the animal as still and comforted as possible.
 
“Right. Heero, you need to step back out of the way,” Duo said softly. “I only have the two lead aprons and Zechs is wearing the other.”
 
“Okay.” Heero looped the lead rope around the pole of the crush and stepped back. He was working on autopilot, the fall and injury to his horse blocking all other thoughts from his mind.
 
“Ready?”
 
“Ready,” replied Zechs.
 
Duo began to take the pictures, stopping after each one to move the machine to another angle. After a few minutes, Duo deemed he'd gotten enough to let him know what the damage was and slid the last plate from the machine. Pushing the machine back out of the way, he removed his apron and grabbed the rest of the plates. “I'll go get these developed. Zechs, would you mind giving Zero another shot of painkiller and start to run the hose over his leg?”
 
“No problem.” Zechs disappeared into Duo's drug room and returned seconds later with a needle and syringe.
 
“I'll be right back.” Duo went to develop the films, leaving Heero and Zechs alone with Zero and their thoughts.
 
“What's going to happen to him?” Heero suddenly said, his eyes never leaving the gray face of his beloved horse.
 
“That's a question I can't answer right now, Heero.”
 
Heero studied the leg a little more intently. “It's a lot more swollen than the last time. What if he has broken it?”
 
“Heero. Let's not jump to conclusions here. We need to wait for the x-rays first. Once we have those we can make an informed decision and take the appropriate course of treatment.”
 
“But, if it's broken, he'll...” Heero couldn't finish the sentence, his voice hitched and a tear escaped the corner of his eye. “I couldn't bear to lose him, Zechs. He's my best friend.”
 
“Oh, Heero. No one is saying you will lose him. Let's wait for Duo to come back and see what we can do from there.” Zechs placed his arm around the young rider's shoulders and drew him into a one armed hug, a hug Heero really needed right then.
 
Duo's eyes adjusted to the dark room where he developed his x-rays, quickly putting the films through the various solutions. Once they were developed and dry, he picked them up and went back out to where the other two were waiting, a grim look on his face.
 
As the door opened and Duo stepped back out, both Heero and Zechs turned around.
 
Duo walked over to the 'light board' he had set up on the side of the wall. He slipped an x-ray onto the 'screen' and flipped on the light. Heero and Zechs followed, Zechs' trained eye taking in the details, Heero's eyes doing their level best to make sense out of the picture.
 
“What's the verdict?” Heero whispered.
 
“Heero.” Duo turned to face his lover. “I'm afraid Zero's got a hairline fracture of his cannon bone. You can just see it here.” Duo pointed to a spot on the x-ray.
 
“Oh, god. No.” Heero felt the world around him begin to spin, the air seemed to be sucked out of his lungs and everything began to turn dark.
 
Zechs caught him as he fell.
 
* * *
 
“Heero? Heero? Time to wake up.”
 
A gentle shaking accompanied the words and Heero groggily opened his eyes. He'd been having a really bad nightmare about Zero falling and getting hurt. As his senses came back on line he realized he was in the stable block, and this was no nightmare; it was real. “Zero... What have I done?” Heero choked out.
 
“Heero, listen to me. I need you to stay calm and strong. Can you understand me?”
 
Heero blinked a couple of times and his vision cleared. He gazed into concerned violet.
 
“That's better.” Duo leaned close and brushed his lips softly over Heero's. “Feeling a bit better?”
 
Heero nodded.
 
“Good. Zechs and I need to talk to you about Zero and the injury. There's a few things we need to go over and discuss. You feel up to it?”
 
Swallowing his fear, Heero replied. “I guess so.”
 
“Right. Firstly let's get you sitting more comfortably.”
 
Heero realized he was lying on the stable block floor, a horse rug underneath him and his legs propped up on a feed bucket. Damn! He must have passed out. He managed to get to his feet, Duo assisting him and he swayed for a moment before his equilibrium settled. Duo guided him to a chair and Heero gratefully sat down. Zechs appeared from the side with a mug and passed it over to Heero. Heero took it and looked at it before taking a sip. It was sweet tea.
 
“You gave me a bit of a scare there, baby,” Duo said softly as he ran his fingers through Heero's unruly hair.
 
“Sorry.”
 
“It's okay. I should have realized you were more in shock than I thought. “
 
Zechs pulled over another two chairs then reappeared with two more mugs. When Heero had started to come around, Duo had asked Zechs to go up to the house and make Heero a cup of sweet tea to help his body recover. Zechs had obliged and also made a couple of strong coffees for himself and Duo. The three sipped on the beverages for a moment before Duo began to speak.
 
“You feeling up to hearing this now, Heero?”
 
“Hai. I feel better now. Thank you.”
 
“Okay. Zero has a hairline fracture of the cannon bone. There are a few options open to us here.” Duo paused and stared directly at Heero. “I'm going to explain them all so don't interrupt me, just let me finish completely and then ask all the questions you want, okay?”
 
Heero nodded and took another sip of his tea, the beverage was slowly thawing his numb body and brain out.
 
“First option is to put Zero down. As far as I'm concerned this isn't a consideration here.”
 
Heero visibly paled and clutched the mug tighter. He was about to protest, to let his lover know that to put Zero down would almost certainly kill Heero inside; but before he had the chance to say anything, Duo continued.
 
“Second option is to do nothing, just apply cold compresses, keep the leg in plaster and immobilized and let nature take its course. The success rate of a recovery there is about fifty percent. The third option is to operate. The bone can be plated and/or pinned depending on what is found once the break is exposed Providing Zero handles the anesthetic okay the success rate here would be about eighty percent.” Duo sat back and let Heero absorb his words.
 
The words sank in, Heero registering exactly what his lover was saying and weighing each option up in his head. The first he dismissed immediately, he was not going to put Zero down, not whilst there was a chance the animal could recover. The second option made sense as did the third. Heero tossed the thoughts around, the silence growing ever thicker in the stable block. Heero looked up at Zero who was standing on three legs in the crush, head drooping and eyes partially closed as the painkiller did its job.
 
Duo and Zechs both sat back and drank their coffees. Neither man would influence Heero's decision in any way, not only was it against the rules of the veterinary world, but morally it would be wrong. This was Heero's animal and only he could make that decision.
 
Having weighed up the options, Heero put his mug down and began to ask his questions. Would the plaster cast hold up under half a ton of horse? What was involved in the surgery? How risky was it and what exactly were those risks? Heero's questions rolled off his tongue and were patiently answered by Duo, Zechs chipping in from time to time.
 
"Duo? I don't mean to be rude and I'm certainly not doubting your skills but have you done an operation like this before?" Heero wasn't trying to be difficult, he just needed the information. He knew himself from the countless times he'd assisted Duo that large animal surgery was risky and during the years he'd been with the vet, not once that he could recall had Duo needed to operate like this.
 
"No, Heero. I haven't done this surgery on a horse before. I've done it on cats, dogs and even a goat once, but I've yet to do it on a horse."
 
"Okay."
 
"I've performed this type of surgery before," Zechs said softly. "I've assisted on two and done one myself."
 
"How did they go?" Heero asked.
 
Duo was also curious to know. He'd spoken the truth, he hadn't done a pin or plating on an equine's leg, but he had studied it and the basics were the same as for a dog or cat and he'd done lots of those.
 
"The surgery was time consuming and intricate. You need to get the plates and pins into the right spots as the animal will try to take weight on the fractured limb so it's important to have them correct. All the horses I've assisted with and operated on made full recoveries."
 
Heero felt a little of the tension leave him.
 
"Heero?"
 
"Hai?" Heero turned to face Duo again.
 
"There's one other thing. Despite the outcome of the operation, that's assuming you wish to proceed, Zero won't be able to be ridden again."
 
Heero lowered his eyes. "I know." He'd already figured that much out. "It doesn't matter, I don't care if I can never ride him again, as long as he's okay then he can retire and live out his days in the paddock."
 
"You could breed with him," Zechs offered.
 
"That's something in the future," Heero said softly. "Right now I have to deal with the present and what's best for the horse."
 
"True. Heero? What would you like me to do?" Duo fixed his lover with a warm smile.
 
Having weighed up all the options in his mind, asked his questions and had them answered, now came the time to make his decision, the decision that would alter Zero's future. He got up and walked over to his horse, Zero whickering softly as he smelt the familiar scent of his master. The lump in his throat thickened as he pulled gently on the gray ears. Liquid brown eyes gazed trustingly at him and Heero made his decision.
 
"I want you to operate," he stated quietly.
 
"Okay." Duo stood and walked over to his partner. Placing his arms around Heero's waist, he pulled the rider against his chest and rested his lips at the crook of Heero's neck. He placed a soft kiss to the sensitive skin, warm breath ghosting over the skin and causing it to shiver. "You know I will do everything I possibly can to make him well again. He's become a big part of my life too. Probably sounds silly and all, but I love this big, gray, carrot eating machine as well."
 
"Oh, Duo." Heero turned in his partner's arms and hugged the vet close. His face buried itself in the material of Duo's shirt against the strong, warm chest, tears flowed freely as Heero let go with all the emotion he'd been bottling up inside.
 
Zechs slipped quietly from the stables and headed for Duo's surgery where he knew Hilde and Catherine would be working. He knew Heero needed a few minutes alone with his partner and whilst Zechs wasn't trying to put his nose in where it wasn't wanted, he knew Duo would need to let the rest of the staff know what was happening.
 
* * *
 
Having gotten over his emotional 'breakdown', Heero felt a little better. Zechs returned, having brought Hilde and Catherine up to speed on the situation. Both women had been horrified to hear of the accident and wanted to come down to the stable block and assist in any way they could. Zechs politely put them off, letting them know that he would assist Duo and that someone was needed to remain in the practice to take care of the evening consults and reception area. The women could see the logic in that and whilst they agreed, it didn't mean they had to like it. Zechs promised to keep them informed.
 
Heero wanted to assist in the operation too but Duo flatly refused to let him. He was too emotionally distraught to start with and besides that, Duo didn't think it was a good idea to have Heero in the operating theater when it was his own horse on the table. No, it would be far better for Heero to remain outside.
 
Despite the protests, Duo stood firm. He had Zechs to assist and it would be bad enough that he was operating on the horse he'd come to love as much as Heero, without having Heero in there as well.
 
Knowing he wasn't going to win this one, Heero gave up, but he did insist on being there to lead his horse into the theater and stay with him whilst Duo administered the anesthetic.
 
The operating theater was ready, a tray of fresh instruments waited at the side. Pins and plates sat in another steel dish, drugs sat in their bottles on the side. Duo and Zechs appeared in their surgical scrubs, Zechs having borrowed a set from Duo. With everything ready, all they needed was the patient.
 
Heero felt as if he were leading his friend to the gallows as he slowly led Zero into the operating theater. The progress was slow but they made it after a few minutes. Duo had the table tilted and ready, the hydraulics working perfectly. Slings were also present to aid the moving of the large horse to the table.
 
Zero stood quietly as Heero removed his rug, the painkillers and mild sedative that the nice human had given him were kicking in and Zero began to feel comfortable.
 
With everything ready, Duo picked up the syringe that had the anesthetic in it and began to inject it into Zero's blood stream. The big gray began to sway on his feet, Zechs and Heero making sure that the stallion slipped over to the side where the operating table was waiting. As Zero submitted to the anesthetic all the pain went and darkness claimed him.
 
Once Zero was secure on the operating table, Duo double checked everything whilst Zechs attached the electrodes that would monitor the horse's heart rate, breathing rate and temperature.
 
"Okay, Heero. Time to leave," Duo said as he escorted his lover to the door of the theater.
 
Heero took one look back at his horse, swallowed the lump in his throat and left. Duo pressed a warm kiss to his lips and Heero found himself responding. "Take care of him, Duo," Heero whispered.
 
"I'll do my best. Why don't you go up to the house and take a shower? I'll contact you once there's any news."
 
Heero nodded, took one last kiss from his lover and watched as the door to the theater closed. Heero leaned up against the brick wall of the stable. His back slid down until his backside hit the concrete floor. Heero pulled his knees up and wrapped his arms around them, staring out into nothing he waited with a heavy heart.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...