Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, they belong to Bandai, Sotsu etc. I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by ginny. *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his show jumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 12
 
Treize brought the goose neck trailer to a halt and cut the engine. Joe jumped out of the passenger side and went swiftly to the ramps. Otto met him there and immediately knew something wasn't right. He didn't ask Joe anything though - he waited until Treize appeared from the driver's side.
 
"Boss?" Otto asked as he lowered the ramp and peered inside, relieved when he spotted his charges and all seemed to be okay with them.
 
"Otto." Treize paused for a second and drew a deep breath. "Heero's horse took a fall at the show."
 
"Shit! Are they okay?" Otto had a soft spot for the dark haired rider.
 
"No, Otto, they aren't. Heero's horse has hurt his leg. I don't know exactly what the problem is as Doctor Maxwell and Doctor Merquise treated him briefly at the show and he's now on his way back to Doctor Maxwell's surgery. Heero wasn't injured physically, although emotionally, he's a wreck."
 
Sensing the agitation in his boss's voice, Otto took over. "Go," he said. "I'll finish up with the horses here and take care of unpacking the trailer. You get going to Doctor Maxwell's and give them any assistance you can."
 
"Thank you, Otto."
 
"None necessary. Give Heero my best, won't you?"
 
"Of course." Without needing any further prompting, Treize all but sprinted to the house to grab his keys, change his boots for his shoes and head over to the Maxwell Veterinary Practice. He knew he wouldn't be able to do anything much regarding the horse, but he could offer support for Heero.
 
* * *
 
Duo took another look at the x-rays, noting where the fracture appeared on the film. Beside him, Zechs also studied the picture.
 
Not wanting to interfere, as this was Duo's patient, but knowing he had more experience in this field than Duo, Zechs chose his words carefully. "I'd suggest placing the pins here, here and here." Zechs pointed to three different locations on the cannon bone. "The plate can then go here and with the screws in place it should form a strong support for the bone."
 
"I agree," Duo replied. He knew Zechs had the most experience in this form of equine surgery and appreciated the other vet sharing that experience without trying to take over or make Duo feel inadequate. "I guess we should get started then. I'll get the clippers."
 
The hair on the leg was carefully clipped away and the area washed down with betadine. Zechs fetched a surgical cloth and placed it over the cannon bone, covering the leg but leaving the operation site exposed to view. Once the cloth was in place, Zechs pulled the tray of instruments over and prepared to assist Duo in any way he could.
 
Duo picked up the scalpel and paused with the tool in mid air. He took a deep breath and willed his slightly shaking hands to settle. His mind supplied him with images of Zero. Zero galloping around the paddock; Zero clearing obstacle after obstacle, the joy of jumping clearly on his face; Zero whickering for carrots; Zero with his head resting against Heero's chest whilst his master scratched his ears.
 
Closing his eyes briefly, Duo forced himself to think clearly. Yes, this was Zero lying on the operating table, and whilst he knew that it wasn't a good idea to operate on your own animals for obvious reasons, Duo knew he had to. He'd never forgive himself if he didn't help the horse.
 
Heero.
 
The thought of his boyfriend and the grief the man was suffering blossomed in Duo's mind. Heero was counting on him to make Zero better. Duo had given his word that he would do his best and, dammit, he was going to do just that. His jaw set into a determined line and his eyes narrowed to the place on Zero's cannon bone he would need to incise.
 
"Duo?"
 
Zechs' voice jolted Duo from his thoughts; he'd been mind wandering for a lot longer than he'd thought.
 
"Are you okay?" Zechs felt a little concerned at the silence that radiated off Duo. "I can do this for you if you would prefer?"
 
"I'm fine, Zechs. Thanks. Right, time to get this operation started." Hand now as steady as a rock, Duo brought the scalpel down to the skin and began to cut.
 
* * *
 
Treize drove as fast as he dared to the Maxwell practice. His mind was continuously going around in circles, wondering what the damage to Zero was, whether Zechs and Duo would be able to help the horse and how Heero was coping. From the little information Zechs had given him earlier, Treize knew that both vets were going to be needed to treat Zero. But what exactly was that treatment going to be? If both vets were preoccupied with the horse, would Heero be helping as well?
 
And, if Heero wasn't helping, then who was helping Heero?
 
Treize put his foot down on the accelerator a little harder.
 
A few minutes later, Treize gave a deep sigh as he spotted the driveway to Duo's practice come into view. Slowing, he indicated and turned, driving slowly along the driveway, past the surgery and around to the back where the stable block was situated. He brought his car to a stop alongside Heero's, noting that it still had the float attached.
 
Getting out of his car, Treize glanced briefly at the float interior. It was empty, with no sign of a scuffle inside. Good. That meant that Zero had managed to remain on his feet for the trip home. That thought warmed Treize a little and, turning, he headed for the stable block.
 
* * *
 
The skin on the cannon bone peeled back to reveal all the inner secrets.
 
Duo gave a low whistle through his teeth as he caught the stretched state of the ligaments. A couple of tendons had started to pull away, as well, and Duo made a note of them. He'd need to stitch them back into place once he'd finished to make sure they didn't tear any further - the leg was going to need all the help it could get whilst healing and that included the support of ligaments and tendons.
 
Peering over Duo's shoulder, Zechs adjusted the overhead light a little, giving them both a much better look at the damage. Zechs also noted the state of the tendons and ligaments, a small frown crossing his featured as his eyes moved on searching for the damaged bone.
 
"Should be right about... here," muttered Duo as he carefully poked around inside Zero's leg. "There. You see that, Zechs?"
 
"Yeah."
 
Both vets took a good look at the damaged bone.
 
"Not quite as bad as I'd first thought," said Duo softly, with a touch of relief in his voice.
 
"That's good," Zechs sighed. "It's still not what I like to see, but the chances of it knitting back together are a lot better."
 
"I agree." Duo flushed the area with a little saline. The gray of the bone glistened back at him. A small, hairline fracture graced the thin bone, innocent in appearance, but deadly if not treated properly.
 
"I'd maybe put the pins here and here, not there and there as I first suggested," Zechs said as he studied the revealed injury.
 
"If I put them here, here and here, that will enable the plate to go there and hopefully be able to support the bone better. What do you think?" Duo asked as he pointed out his ideas to Zechs.
 
"I agree with the pins, that positioning would help a lot. The plate though, what about here?” Zechs suggested, pointing again. “That will give it even more strength."
 
Duo thought about that for a moment, studying the angles, the amount of bone he had to work with and the difficulty of getting the pins and plate into the correct position without doing any further damage to Zero's leg. He studied the small plate and pins, then turned his attention back to the leg. "I think that just might work."
 
Zechs nodded. "Okay. Let's get started then."
 
Picking up a pair of forceps, Duo began to gently ease aside the tissues surrounding the cannon bone that would be in the way of the operation.
 
* * *
 
Treize could see the light spilling out of the stable block as he approached. All was quiet though, and he wondered if Duo and Zechs were in the operating theater. If they were, where was Heero?
 
His questions were answered once he walked inside.
 
Glancing around, he missed the huddled form of Heero at first. A second sweep of his eyes picked out the small form crouched against the wall and instantly Treize was beside the stricken rider. He placed a hand on Heero' shoulder.
 
Arms still wrapped around his knees, Heero was locked in his own tormented misery. The weight of a hand to his shoulder caused him to raise his head from his knees and look up. "Treize?"
 
"Oh, Heero." Dull blue eyes flecked with pain stared back at Treize and the older rider's heart went out to the young man. Treize had suffered himself over the years with various horses that had required emergency veterinary treatment, so he had an idea of what Heero was going through.
 
Without further thought, Treize reached out and pulled Heero to his feet, enveloping the smaller man in his arms and hugging him close.
 
Heero let himself be pulled up and held tightly. Right then he needed human contact. He would have preferred Duo's arms around him, Duo's soothing voice telling him it would all be okay, but Duo was busy trying to help Zero.
 
“It will all be okay, Heero,” Treize murmured. “Duo and Zechs, they're the best and they will do all they can for Zero.”
 
“I know they will, but…” Heero's voice hitched as he fought back a sob.
 
“It's all right. It's okay to let go,” Treize soothed, reaching for the tone he used when working with a skittish youngster.
 
“Zero... He's, he's fractured... Oh, god.” Heero couldn't continue, instead his body began to shake with the emotion he'd been keeping bottled up.
 
“Hush, it's okay.” Treize held the younger rider tighter, rubbing soothing circles over Heero's back as the man cried against his chest.
 
They remained that way for several minutes, Heero finally getting control over his feelings and slowing his tears. Treize reached into his pocket and handed Heero a handkerchief.
 
“Feel better now?”
 
Heero took the offered handkerchief and wiped his eyes. “A bit. Thanks.”
 
“Good. Heero, I know this is really hard on you right now, but do you think you can tell me what it is that's wrong with Zero? You said something about a fracture?”
 
Biting his bottom lip, Heero managed to find his voice, although it came out rather hoarse. “They x-rayed his leg; there's a hairline fracture of the cannon bone.”
 
“Ah. I take it they're operating?”
 
“Yes. Duo thinks Zero has the best chance at recovering from this if he pins and plates the bone.”
 
“Then I'd be trusting in Duo's words and skills.”
 
“He won't ever be able to be ridden again.”
 
Once Heero mentioned 'fracture', Treize had immediately had his doubts that Zero would be able to be ridden again. “He's still a stallion, Heero,” he offered, hoping it would be comforting. “You would be able to breed with him.”
 
“I know, but right now...”
 
“I understand.”
 
Treize did. It wasn't just the fact that Zero wouldn't ever be able to be ridden again - there was the disappointment that Heero would no longer be a contender for these Olympic games, and the young man had worked so hard for it. Life could really suck at times.
 
Time passed a little more, both men simply standing in a warm embrace, Heero grateful for the comfort and Treize happy to provide that support.
 
“You know something, Heero?” Treize asked as the idea came to him. “Even though Zero may be out of the running as an Olympic mount, you still have a chance.”
 
“I don't understand,” Heero protested. “Zero's the only horse I have that's capable of Olympic competition. This has always been my dream, Treize.”
 
“What's wrong with Zero's son, Shinigami?”
 
“Eh? Shini's not even A grade yet, Treize.” Heero gave the man a look that clearly said Heero thought Treize had lost his marbles.
 
Treize chuckled lightly. “I'm not talking about now, Heero. The Olympics come around every four years. In another four years time, young Shini will be well and truly on his way to qualifying for selection.”
 
Heero thought about that. What Treize said rang true - to a point. “I don't know if he will be good enough.”
 
“No-one will know that, not until he gets more experience, but he has all the right ingredients from what I've seen of him at the shows. He's got that spark, the will to win, not to mention a great jump on him. He's also Zero's son.”
 
Heero couldn't argue with that. “What do you honestly think, Treize? Does Shini have what it takes to make it to the top?” Heero valued Treize's opinion; the man had already competed in one Olympics and knew the pressure involved and just how good a horse had to be. If anyone would know if a horse had the potential to make it into International competition - with the Olympics being the pinnacle of that competition - Treize would.
 
“In all honesty, yes, I think he's Olympic material,” Treize confirmed. “Yes, he's still green and has a lot to learn. He's lacking in experience but that will come with time. You have the skills to teach him, to educate him enough to take him through the grades and qualify for selection. I have no doubt that Shini can and will make it to the top, Heero.”
 
The words warmed Heero. He knew Treize always gave an honest opinion and wouldn't tell him he thought it possible when he knew the animal didn't stand a chance. “Thanks, that means a lot to me, Treize.”
 
“There's also no reason why you can't breed more stock like Shinigami from Zero either.”
 
“I hate to disillusion you there, Treize, but there is.”
 
“I don't follow.”
 
“To breed good show jumpers I'd need a good mare.”
 
“Oh. What's wrong with Shini's dam?”
 
“Scythe is getting on in years, Treize. It would be risky to her health to breed again from her.”
 
“Ah. You could always purchase another mare,” Treize suggested.
 
“A good quality animal costs good money; money I don't have to spare.”
 
“Free lease?”
 
Heero laughed. “You're determined, aren't you?”
 
Treize grinned.
 
“I'll think about it.”
 
“Good.” Treize took a deep breath. He felt a bit better now, knowing he'd distracted Heero from his dark thoughts for a while - he'd given him something else to think about.
 
Seeing the rider's mind shifting gears, no doubt going back to thinking about Zero, Treize spoke again. “I think we should empty out the car, clean the float and unhitch it. It's going to be time to bring in your other two horses for their dinners soon.”
 
“Shit!” In his worry over Zero, Heero had completely forgotten about the chores that still needed to be done.
 
“Come on, I'll give you a hand,” Treize said and began to walk back out to the loaded car.
 
* * *
 
Duo shook his head, dislodging a drop of sweat from the end of his nose. Positioning the fine drill bit over the bone, he carefully depressed the switch, the drill humming into life and putting a small hole in the bone. Carefully he moved to the next spot, drilling again and, once that was done, he put the drill back on the tray. "Intricate, isn't it?" he muttered as he took stock of the tiny holes.
 
"Makes me even more happy I declined going in for micro surgery," Zechs snickered.
 
"Oh? I didn't know you were interested in that field." Duo had studied micro surgery, to a point. It had been part of his studies at veterinary college. All students had to do the course, but then there was the option of going a little further and completing a slightly more in-depth course on it and Duo had chosen to do that course, too.
 
Once they qualified, though, all students had the option of furthering their studies and specializing in different fields. Some had chosen to do so, a few opting to specialize in dogs, others in felines, whilst others had gone into large animal specialization and some had chosen the field of micro biology. Only a couple had opted to do micro surgery.
 
Duo had decided he'd had enough of studying and wanted to open his own practice, treating as many different and varied animals as he could.
 
Salsbury had offered him that chance. Here, he got to treat pretty much everything in the spectrum of animals, from cats and dogs to cattle and horses, gold fish and birds to sheep and pigs. The many and varied cases were endless and Duo had found his skills improving over the years. A couple of his colleagues from college had specialized and were making exceptional money; Duo had been told he was a fool for going into general practice, that it was a waste of his talents. Duo had simply shrugged.
 
He'd never regretted his decision.
 
"I had thought about it," Zechs said, continuing on with the conversation, "but I guess I don't have the patience for it. The odd surgery here and there is okay but I don't think my eyesight could take doing it every day."
 
"I can agree with you there," Duo chuckled. "I've done a bit of micro surgery here, mainly on dogs and cats, and I have to say that whilst I enjoy the rewards, the strain can be intense." Satisfied he had the holes all drilled in the right places, Duo reached for the forceps and tiny screw. "Now for the really delicate bit."
 
The pair worked in silence other than the odd request for instruments. Zechs watched and assisted wherever he could, made one or two suggestions and generally gave Duo the support he needed. The three pins were inserted into place and then the plate was attached.
 
Having tightened the last screw, Duo stepped back and straightened his aching spine. "How does it look?"
 
Zechs moved in and inspected the plate, the screws firmly in place. The pins were also checked and Zechs pulled back with a soft smile on his face. "It's perfect. They're all sitting in the best place to give maximum support to the bone and leg as it heals."
 
"Thanks.” Duo rubbed his hand over his tired eyes. He wondered how Heero was coping and felt a twinge of guilt. He hadn't wanted to leave Heero by himself, he longed nothing more than to take his boyfriend in his arms and kiss all the pain away, but that wasn't possible. Duo couldn't split himself in two and Zero needed him more. Duo just hoped that Heero would forgive him for not being there to offer comfort when the rider needed it the most.
 
"I'll stitch the tendons that are starting to tear while you take a break," Zechs said softly. He could see the weariness in Duo, his eyes and his body language showing just how tired the other vet was.
 
"Thanks, that would be good." Duo stepped back and let Zechs take over. Whilst Zechs stitched, Duo collected all the used instruments and placed them in a dish ready to go up to the main surgery and be cleaned. He checked Zero's vitals, pleased to note that all was well with the horse.
 
"I'm done."
 
Zechs' quiet voice broke into Duo's thoughts and he looked up from Zero's head where he'd been unconsciously petting the sleeping animal. Leaving Zero's head, Duo walked back around to the operation site and sighed. "Thanks."
 
"My pleasure. I hope you didn't mind?"
 
"Not at all." Duo gazed down at the row of neat stitches. Zechs had not only stitched inside but also closed the wound completely and all that remained now was a neat row of tiny stitches on the outside of Zero's cannon bone. "I'll give it a dusting of Penicillin powder, then gauze and bandage. Once that's in place we can put the plaster cast on."
 
"I'll go get the plaster bandages then."
 
"Thank you. They're in the top cupboard on the left."
 
* * *
 
Heero worked on auto pilot as he emptied out the car. His heart saddened even more when he lifted the saddle and bridle out. He stood for a moment staring blindly at the saddle, feeling the tears beginning to prickle again. Treize noticed the hesitation and reached out to give Heero a comforting squeeze to his arm.
 
"It will all be okay," he reminded Heero. "Think positive."
 
Heero nodded and gathering the saddle blanket as well, he headed into the tack room to put the saddle and bridle away. Between the two of them, it didn't take long to get the car unpacked and gear all put away in its respective places, and then Heero fetched the broom and scoop to clean out the float.
 
Treize gave him a hand and, whilst Heero returned the tools to the stables, Treize put the tail gate up. Once Heero returned, he started up the car and backed the float into its usual position and then unhitched it form the car.
 
“Have you got the other horses feeds all made up?” Treize asked.
 
“Yeah, they're in the feed shed.”
 
“Okay.” Treize headed for the feed shed to fetch the buckets while Heero filled and replaced the water buckets.
 
“Better not put Zero's feed in just yet,” Treize said.
 
Heero nodded. “Best to wait until we're given the okay by Duo, I guess.”
 
“Come on, I'll give you a hand bringing the other two in.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
Scythe and Shini were both standing at their paddock gates, Scythe wuffling softly when she spotted her master. Shini gave a snort and eyed up the newcomer.
 
“I'll take Shini if you like?” Treize offered.
 
“That's fine. Watch him though, he can be a bugger at times.”
 
“Really?”
 
“He'll try you out, see what he can get away with. If you're not careful he will have a nip at you.”
 
“Cheeky devil.” Treize gave the young stallion a look over.
 
“Ask Trowa Barton about him and his teeth.”
 
“I take it they're well acquainted?” Treize asked in an amused tone. He'd heard of Trowa Barton from the Barton Animal Refuge.
 
“Most definitely. In fact, Trowa bit him back.” Heero chuckled a little at the memory. “I kept telling Trowa to be more firm with him, but Trowa deals a lot with abused animals and doesn't like to get strong with one. Shini soon changed his mind though.”
 
Treize laughed. It was good to see Heero relaxing a little. “I'll be careful then.” He clipped the lead rope to the stallion's halter and opened the gate.
 
Leading Scythe from her paddock, Heero kept an eye on Treize and Shini. He had no qualms about letting Treize lead the youngster, Treize had handled more than enough horses in his time, some of them a lot worse than Shini would ever be. A soft smile graced his lips as he watched his horse taking stock of the new person.
 
It didn't take long for Shini to try his tricks. One minute he was walking quietly beside the new person, then he snuck his muzzle forth and tried for a nip to Treize's arm. Treize wasn't silly, he'd been keeping an eye on the youngster and saw the nip coming. He swiftly moved his arm out of reach and scolded the stallion.
 
“I wouldn't try it again, Shini. I'm not Trowa and I'm not going to take any nonsense from you.”
 
Heero snickered.
 
Shini was a little surprised his teeth had missed their target and could hear the scolding tone of the human's voice. He didn't let it deter him though. Seconds later, he snuck in for another nip.
 
And was met with a sharp smack to his muzzle.
 
“I warned you,” Treize growled. “Try it again and you'll get another, harder smack.”
 
Shini blinked and backed off - for the moment.
 
Approaching the stables, Shini could smell his dinner and began to pull at the lead rope, trying to drag Treize with him. A sharp tug brought him up short. Shini didn't like that and gave another tug to the rope and tried to follow up with a nip to Treize's leg.
 
A really hard tug and very sharp smack to his nose had Shini almost sitting down on his hind quarters in shock. Warily, he eyed off the human leading him.
 
“Keep it up and you'll get more of the same,” Treize admonished.
 
Shini decided to have one more go and suddenly lunged forward, pulling Treize slightly off balance. He turned his head, snaked in and went for Treize's arm.
 
This time the end of the lead rope caught Shini a hard blow to the nose and he stopped dead. He shook his head and looked at the human with a little more respect. Seemed this one knew exactly what he was doing. Shini thought it best to give up now.
 
“Much better,” Treize praised the stallion and gave him a pat as the gray gave in and did as he was told.
 
Heero watched the antics of his horse with an amused smile. He'd known Treize wouldn't let Shini get the better of him and it had been funny to watch the youngster try his tricks and fail. It would be a good lesson for the stallion to learn. Not everyone was a pushover.
 
With the horses safely in the stables, Treize and Heero began to rug them up for the night.
 
* * *
 
“Okay, that's all we can do for now. The rest is up to him,” said Duo as he tapped on the drying plaster cast. “Should be set in another couple of minutes.”
 
“Good.” Zechs collected up the left over plaster bandages, returning the unused ones to the cupboard and the packaging from the others to the bin. He emptied the bucket of water they'd used for the plaster bandages and rinsed it out.
 
Gazing at his scrubs, he chuckled to himself.
 
Hearing the chuckle, Duo looked up from where he was monitoring the hardening of the cast. “What's so funny?”
 
“We are.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I look like Frosty the Snowman.”
 
Duo looked down at himself and laughed. Both vets wore a mixture of red from the blood and white from the plaster on their scrubs. “Actually, Frosty that's been in an accident would be more appropriate,” he chuckled.
 
“Can't argue with that. Cast hard yet?”
 
“Yeah. We can start to bring him round. By the time he's conscious enough to want to stand, the cast should have completely finished setting.”
 
“Okay then.” Zechs began to remove the mask from around the horse's muzzle, turning off the anesthetic gas that had been flowing through it at the same time. He left the electrodes in place for a little longer, just until Zero started showing signs of returning to the conscious plane before removing them as well.
 
With the gray beginning to wake up, Duo wasted no time in getting the slings and table ready to tilt, turn and take the stallion's weight. He'd prefer for Zero to remain in the slings for a while - that way the horse could completely regain consciousness and whilst doing so the weight would be off the injured limb. Duo could only hope that Zero wouldn't panic as some horses were apt to do when coming out of anesthesia.
 
Zero's mind began to clear, sounds came to his ears and a funny smell to his nostrils. He gave a grunt and began to struggle. Not knowing where he was, his memory supplying him with a blank, Zero's instincts kicked in and he began to lurch forward, trying to gain his feet. A soothing voice penetrated his mind, calming him and Zero stopped struggling, shook his head and concentrated on the familiar voice.
 
“Easy, Zero. Whoa there, boy. It's all okay, you're going to be okay, just stop fighting and settle down,” Duo soothed. He reached out a hand and petted Zero's neck, relief flooding him as Zero gave up his struggles and lay still. “That's it, fella, nice and relaxed. Let us do the work for you.”
 
The tone comforted Zero, the light touch reassured him and the familiar scent of the nice human that fed him carrots invaded his nostrils. Instinctively, Zero relaxed and put his trust in the human.
 
Between the two of them, Duo and Zechs managed to get the stallion on his feet, off the table and standing in the support of the slings. Duo let the slings go lax enough that Zero was putting weight on his legs, but not enough as yet to show how the injured limb was coping. As the gray became more aware of his surroundings, so Duo slackened the slings further. After half an hour, the slings were loose around Zero's body and Duo was pleased with the way the stallion was holding his weight. The injured leg was touching the ground and it was as if Zero knew he had to be careful, only putting minimal weight onto the limb.
 
Zechs checked the horse over and deemed him doing as well as could be expected. He suggested another hour in the slings before trying to move the stallion to his stable. Duo agreed.
 
“I'm going to get Heero. He's going to be anxious to know how everything went and see for himself that Zero is okay.” With Zero now recovering, Duo wanted nothing more than to see and hold his lover.
 
“I'll wait here with Zero.”
 
“Thanks. I'll be right back.” Duo patted the gray neck. “I'm going to get your master, Zero. You stay still now and behave yourself for Zechs.” With one last pat, Duo went to the door of the operating theater and opened it, stepping out and looking for Heero.
 
* * *
 
Treize and Heero were sitting on upturned feed buckets by the crush, discussing horses in general. Treize was doing his best to keep Heero's mind off what was happening behind the door to the theater by recounting tales from his youth.
 
The opening of the theater door silenced Treize and both men looked up to see Duo stepping out. Instantly, Heero was on his feet and practically running across to Duo. His lover had been in surgery for almost five hours and Heero was anxious to hear the result.
 
Duo opened his arms, a soft smile playing on his lips as Heero fell gratefully into the embrace. He hugged Heero close.
 
“The operation was a success,” he said quietly.
 
Heero began to sob in relief.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...