Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai and ginny *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 13
 
Once Heero regained his composure, Duo began to speak. “The operation was a success. The fracture wasn't quite as bad as we first thought, although it's not good either. Zechs and I have pinned and plated the bone and that should hold well enough to allow the bone to knit back together. There was also some severe tendon damage which we have done out best to repair. He's awake and on his feet with everything going well thus far.” Duo paused to take a breath. “I guess you are more than ready to see him?”
 
"Hai.” Heero couldn't keep the relief from his voice. “Can I see him now?”
 
"Of course. This way.” Duo turned and, with his fingers entwined with Heero's, led the worried rider into the theater to see his beloved horse.
 
Zero whickered softly as his eyes spotted his master and the familiar scent invaded his nostrils.
 
"Zero!” Heero's voice cracked as he took in the state of his horse. He released Duo's fingers and crossed the theater in a few strides, immediately patting and stroking the gray. “Thank god you're okay,” Heero muttered as he continued to make a fuss of the gray.
 
Zechs smiled as he watched the sight from his position at Zero's side. His eyes lit up when Treize stepped inside the theater. “Treize,” he whispered.
 
Seeing his lover to the side of the horse, Treize gave a smile of his own and walked over to his boyfriend. “How did it go?”
 
“Much better than we expected,” Zechs replied.
 
“Good.”
 
Duo moved to stand beside Heero, knowing that his lover would understand what he was going to say better now he was a little more settled for being with his beloved horse. “Heero?”
 
Hai?” Heero turned his attention away from Zero for a moment, although his hand continued to stroke the soft nose.
 
The fracture wasn't as bad as we thought from the x-rays taken. The pins and plate should give the support necessary for the bone to heal okay. There was some tearing of the tendons, which has been repaired with stitches, and the ligaments were also stretched. He's going to need to stay in the plaster cast for several weeks and during that time I'll take regular x-rays to see how the healing process is going. I'm fairly confident that it should all knit back together without any complications, but I can't be certain. He may or may not have a limp. I'm sorry to say it, but it would be too risky to ever ride him again, the strain and weight would be too much and the chances are he would do even more damage, damage I wouldn't be able to fix.” Duo fell silent, letting Heero absorb his words and come to terms with them.
 
Heero had known in his heart that Zero's days under saddle were finished, but he didn't care. Zero was alive and that was all that mattered to him.
 
He turned his blue eyes to his lover, stopped petting his horse, and wrapped his arms securely around Duo's waist. Gazing deeply into Duo's amethyst eyes, he spoke softly, sincerity thick in his voice. “Thank you, Duo. Thank you for making him better, thank you for giving him a chance to continue to live.”
 
It's my pleasure, Heero.” Duo's eyes began to prickle. Now that the immediate danger was over, the full force of what had happened began to sink in. Duo did his best to push it aside for now. He still had a horse to finish treating, he could let the emotion take over later, once he was back inside the house and preferably in Heero's warm embrace.
 
Turning to face Zechs, Heero gave the other vet a warm look and reached out to shake Zechs' hand. “Thank you too, Zechs, for helping Duo and making Zero well again. I'm forever in your debt, and Duo's too.”
 
Zechs took the offered hand and shook it firmly. “It was my pleasure to assist, Heero. I'm relieved and pleased we have a positive outcome for you. He's a lovely horse and I thank you for trusting in me enough to assist in operating on him.”
 
Swallowing the lump in his throat, Heero nodded and turned his attention back to Zero, who was starting to get a little restless.
 
I think we can take him through to his stable now. I'll just double check the plaster cast first,” Duo said and moved to Zero's fore leg where he began to tap at the white plaster. “Sounds good,” he stated as he straightened up. “Come on, let's move him while there's four of us.”
 
The slings were removed from Zero's body, the stallion taking most of his weight on his three good legs. Instinct told him he needed to be careful and Zero only touched the hoof to the ground, taking minimal weight on it. Gently, he was coaxed from the theater and into the stable breezeway where the group paused for a moment to give Zero a chance to re-balance and settle before moving slowly once more towards the stable.
 
Shini stuck his head over the stable door and whinnied, Scythe whickered softly and then returned to her dinner. Zero gave a quiet grunt in reply and then began to move again.
 
It took several minutes for the stallion to 'walk' into his stable, but finally he did and Heero breathed a sigh of relief. So did Duo. The progress hadn't been as painful as when they'd moved Zero at the show, the gray was taking some weight on the limb and so far it was holding up okay. Duo and Zechs double-checked everything to be perfectly sure.
 
Can he have something to eat?” Heero asked. “I've fed the other two but I haven't put Zero's feed in just in case.”
 
He can have a feed, just keep it small and light on the concentrates,” Duo replied.
 
Okay.” Heero headed into the feed room to make up a fresh feed for Zero, one with less concentrates as Duo had advised. He made sure to put a lot of carrots into it as well.
 
While Heero was busy making up the feed, Duo turned to Treize. “Thanks, Treize, for coming over and sitting with Heero. I was really worried about him being left on his own while we were operating. I did ask him to go up to the house and take a shower - at least then Cathy or Hilde would have been able to talk him into going up to the practice with them and kept him occupied. I guess I should have known he wouldn't, that he would remain here until we had finished operating.”
 
It was my pleasure, Duo. No need for thanks. I sort of thought you would both be occupied with the horse and that Heero wouldn't be in on the operation. I figured he could do with a friend.”
 
Yeah, well. I really do appreciate it - Heero too, although he probably won't admit to it,” Duo chuckled.
 
Is Zero really going to be okay?” Treize had heard all that Heero had regarding the horse, but he wanted to be sure himself that both vets weren't just saying what they had to keep Heero from worrying.
 
Zero should make a full recovery, in one sense. By that, I mean there's no reason why the bone shouldn't knit back together and the tendons heal. He will be strong enough in that leg to support his own weight to a point, just for normal paddock grazing and light exercise. I did mean it when I said it would be far too risky for him to ever be ridden again,” Duo said quietly.
 
As long as he can retire and not be in pain, then that's a relief.”
 
The conversation ceased as Heero reappeared with Zero's feed. Duo checked the bucket at Heero's request before the rider took the feed into the stable and emptied it into Zero's feed bin. The gray didn't take a lot of notice at first, but then he scented the carrots and with a soft grunt, he hobbled over to the feed and began to nose around.
 
I think it's a safe bet to say he's certainly on the road to recovery if he's looking for those carrots,” Treize snickered.
 
It would take something catastrophic, something more than a fracture, to put Zero off his carrots,” Duo replied in amusement as he watched the gray sifting through the feed bin in search of his favorite treat.
 
Heero replaced Zero's rug, which had been removed for the operation, and, with one last check of the stallion, he exited the stable, bolting the door firmly behind him. Dropping the empty feed bucket to the ground, he joined the other three in staring over the stable door at the horse.
 
I guess I should be going,” Zechs said quietly. “He's doing well and there's no need for me to stay any longer. I'll give you a call tomorrow, Duo, to see how he is.”
 
Okay.” Duo pushed off the stable door and turned to the blonde vet, who had also moved away from the stable. “I'll walk you to your car.”
 
"Thanks again, Zechs, for all your help," Heero said and shook the other vet's hand.
 
I'm glad I could be of assistance, Heero. I'm pleased that it's all turned out okay.”
 
I'd better get going too,” said Treize. “I need to check my own stables. I kind of dashed off and left Otto to do it all.”
 
The four men all walked out from the stable block to the waiting cars. Goodbyes were repeated and Zechs promised to wash the scrubs Duo had loaned him and return them over the next few days. Suddenly, Heero's head snapped up and he rounded on Treize.
 
Who won the event?” Heero asked. In all the chaos surrounding Zero's accident, everyone had forgotten about the competition.
 
Treize blushed. “Actually, I did.”
 
Congratulations! You should have said something, Treize.” Heero gave his boss a warm smile.
 
Given the circumstances, it didn't seem appropriate, and then I guess I forgot.” Treize looked a little sheepish.
 
I think this calls for a celebratory drink,” Zechs stated.
 
Treize cast a wary look at his lover, then chuckled. “No offense, but I'm not going to be stopping at a pub on the way home and having a drink with you dressed in those scrubs. Whilst they might not bother me, I'm sure the other patrons wouldn't be so accommodating.”
 
Zechs looked at his standard of dress again and had to agree with his partner. It probably would scare the locals if he were to sit down inside a pub for a drink with blood, gore and plaster stuck to his clothing. “Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of going back to my place and getting showered and changed first, then coming to your place with a nice bottle of red and sharing it with you.” Blue eyes held a mischievous twinkle in them.
 
Ah, well...” Treize began to turn a rather fetching shade of red. “I suppose that would be much better.”
 
Duo snorted. “If you don't get going soon it will be too late to celebrate anything and the wine will be hot.” He thought the way the pair were acting was rather cute.
 
Okay, okay. I'm going,” Treize muttered. “I'll call you tomorrow, Heero.” Without further preamble, Treize got in his car.
 
I'll see you soon, Treize,” Zechs said as he climbed into his own car. “I'll be in touch, Duo. Good luck, Heero.”
 
Thanks. Drive carefully,” Heero replied as he moved closer to Duo and wrapped an arm around his lover's waist.
 
Two cars disappeared down the driveway, Duo and Heero waving until they turned onto the main road. Now all alone in the yard, Duo turned and wrapped his own arms around Heero, the rider reciprocating. Heero let go a deep sigh.
 
"How are you really feeling, Heero?" Duo asked as he feathered kisses along Heero's jaw.
 
"Honestly?"
 
"Yeah, honestly."
 
"I feel flat, deflated. Like I've been put through the emotional grinder and spat out."
"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, Heero. You needed me and I wasn't there." Duo's voice began to choke a little.
 
"Don't," Heero said softly. "Duo, you were there, you were doing your best to save something that is precious to me. I can't thank you enough or even begin to tell you just how much that means to me."
 
Duo buried his face against Heero's shoulder and took a couple of calming breaths. He knew exactly what Heero was saying.
 
Knowing that further words were not needed, Duo raised his head and gave his lover a warm, soft smile. “Come on, I want to check Zero again and then we'd better head on up to the house. Hilde and Catherine will be finished with evening consults shortly and if I know them, they will both be breaking their necks to find out what's going on.”
 
Reluctantly letting his boyfriend break the embrace, Heero made sure to hold onto Duo's hand as they went back inside the stable block to check the horse.
 
* * *
 
Heero was still in the shower when the expected female invasion came. As soon as consults were finished and the surgery cleaned up, both Hilde and Catherine had high-tailed it to the house. They knocked on the back door and waited impatiently for Duo to answer. He'd only just managed to get the door open a fraction when he was pounced upon.
 
What happened?”
 
Is Zero okay?”
 
What about Heero? He didn't get hurt did he?”
 
How bad are the injuries?”
 
The barrage of questions hit Duo like a tornado and he put his hands up in the air in defense. “Whoa there you two. Give a man a break will you? Come inside and I'll make you both a coffee, then I'll answer all questions.” Seeing the pair still frothing at the mouth for details Duo thought he'd better settle some frazzled nerves first. “Look, Heero is okay, he didn't get hurt physically. Emotionally, he's quite cut up. Zero is doing as well as can be expected. Now, I'm not saying anything further until Heero's out of the shower and we all have a coffee. I don't know about you two, but I need one.”
 
Sit!” Catherine commanded and Duo widened his eyes. He'd never heard the woman speak in such an authoritative tone before.
 
He sat.
 
Good. I'll make the coffee. Have you eaten?” Catherine asked as she eyed the vet.
 
No. I was going to cook up something quick in a moment,” Duo replied, still stunned at the tone of voice. It wasn't a nasty tone, just firm.
 
I'll cook up something,” Hilde stated.
 
Hilde?” Duo wasn't quite sure how to voice his thoughts. Hilde was a good vet, no doubt about that, but her cooking skills...
 
Knowing where her boss's thoughts were going, Hilde was quick to jump in first. “I can make toast,” she huffed. “And open a can of spaghetti. You do have tinned spaghetti, don't you?”
 
Umm, I think so. Check the pantry.”
 
Hilde opened the pantry door and rummaged through the shelves. “Ah, found you,” she muttered and grabbed the prize. “Spaghetti on toast coming right up,” she announced.
 
Catherine gave a chuckle and shook her head as Duo rolled his eyes. “I'll make that coffee, shall I?”
 
I think you'd better make mine a double shot with a side of Valium and antacid. I think I'm going to need it,” Duo moaned.
 
I heard that,' Hilde snapped good naturedly.
 
You were meant to.”
 
* * *
 
Despite Hilde's lack of culinary skills, the meal was quite edible - much to Duo's relief. Heero hadn't said a word, just transported the food from his plate to his mouth in a mechanical fashion. Whilst he wasn't really hungry, he knew he had to eat something and he didn't want to offend Hilde either, especially since she was such a kind and giving person.
 
Once Heero had finished his shower and appeared in the kitchen dressed in sweats and a loose t-shirt, the questions had begun again. While Hilde cooked, Heero and Duo both recounted what had occurred, Heero giving his side of the story involving Zero's fall and his anguish at causing his beloved animal to hurt himself.
 
He'd been thoroughly ear bashed by both women for blaming himself for something that had obviously been totally out of his control. He'd shut up at that point and let Duo take over the conversation.
 
Duo explained what he'd found on the x-rays and the following operation to fix the fracture. He didn't go into too much detail with Heero listening in. It was bad enough that Heero was currently reliving all that had happened - he didn't need all the gory details of the operation to add to that guilt trip he seemed determined to take. If Hilde wanted in-depth details, Duo would give them to her later, when Heero wasn't around.
 
Both women had been heart broken to hear what had happened and almost suffocated Heero with their concerns. Both offered whatever help they could, knowing there wasn't really much they could do. Still, it made Heero feel a little better knowing that people were concerned and cared a lot about himself and his horse.
 
Once all the questions had been answered and the women assured themselves that all was going to be okay, they took their leave. Heero gave a sigh of relief when the door closed and finally it was just himself and Duo again.
 
They mean well,” Duo chuckled as he made a fresh coffee.
 
I know they do and I'm sorry if I appeared ungrateful.”
 
You didn't and you weren't,” Duo said as he placed a fresh mug in front of Heero.
 
Thanks.” Heero took a sip of coffee. “Duo?”
 
Yes?”
 
Do you think Zero's leg will recover and heal enough for me to use him at stud?”
 
Duo looked up sharply. He hadn't been expecting that question. “I can't see why not. Any particular reason why you're asking?” Duo's curiosity was well and truly aroused.
 
Treize.”
 
Eh?”
 
Sorry. Earlier, while you and Zechs were operating Treize and I, well he made a few suggestions and gave me some food for thought.”
 
Ah.”
 
Heero paused for a moment to gather his thoughts. “He said a lot of things, things that I think deserve some serious consideration. He raised a few valid points and I'd like to get your opinion on them.”
 
Fine with me. Fire away.”
 
"Treize suggested that while Zero may never be able to be ridden again, there's no reason why I can't use him at stud, breed a couple more foals from him. Young Shini is coming along well and if he's any indication of the offspring that Zero can produce, I should be able to breed some more good jumping horses."
 
"Sounds like a good idea to me," Duo replied. "How would you plan on doing that though? To breed you need a mare and Scythe is in her twilight years. It wouldn't be fair to ask her to carry another foal."
 
"I know that and, given the risks involved with Scythe's age, I wouldn't put her through it."
 
"Then how?"
 
"I don't know." Heero ran his fingers through his bangs. "No offense to Scythe, she's a good mare and all, but can you imagine what sort of foal I'd get if Zero went to a mare that was top quality? Problem is, I don't have a mare of that caliber and to buy one is too damn expensive."
 
Duo's eyes suddenly lit up with mischief. "You know, you could always ask Relena if you could borrow one of her mares."
 
A pair of blue eyes raised themselves to stare incredulously into violet. "You had better be joking."
 
Duo snickered. "Just a thought."
 
"No way! After all the crap we went through with that woman there's no way I would ever ask her for anything!" Heero huffed.
 
Duo reached across the table and placed his hand over the top of Heero's. "I'm only teasing you, Heero."
 
Silence stretched for a few minutes before Duo spoke again. "You could always keep your eyes and ears open, look through the paper and put out the word that you're looking for a decent mare to lease to breed with Zero," Duo suggested.
 
"That's not a bad idea," Heero replied as he thought about Duo's suggestion. Absently his hand entwined with Duo's and his thumb began to stroke over the creamy flesh. "I could start looking around now for something suitable. The breeding season doesn't start for another three months yet and by then Zero should have recovered from his surgery and be fit enough to serve a mare."
 
"Have you maybe thought about standing him at public stud? You know, letting him serve other peoples mares in return for a stud fee. Depending on the fee you charge, you might make enough money to buy a good mare?"
 
Now that thought wasn't bad either. "Duo, that sounds like a really good idea. I'll have to think on that one more. Do you believe that people would want to put their mare to Zero?"
 
"Zero's a lot more well known than you think, Heero. Plus, with Treize on your side to put out the word - Zechs, too - I'm sure you would have a ton of people wanting to put their mares to him."
Pondering on that thought for the moment, Heero had to agree the point. "I guess I could ask around, see what the interest would be."
 
"At least we won't have to do a fertility test on Zero. We already know he's fertile and capable of fathering a foal. The proof is eating its head off in the stables," Duo snickered.
 
Heero laughed. "Good point." Feeling a lot more relaxed than he had earlier, Heero let his mind wander. "What amount should I put on him? You know, how much should I charge for a stud fee?"
 
"Hard to say. How much does Relena charge for her stallions?"
 
"I'm not too sure, but I think around two or three thousand, depending on the stallion."
 
"Ah." Duo gave a low whistle. "Might be best to ask Treize for his opinion on that one."
 
"Yeah. I think so too."
 
"Heero?"
 
"Hai?" Heero looked up to see Duo coming around the table to him and he moved his chair back so the vet could sit in his lap.
 
Twining his arms around Heero's neck, Duo began to feather kisses along Heero's neck. "I'm really sorry that Zero hurt himself. I wish there was something I could do, some miracle I could pull out of the bag and make him all better, as good as new for you, but I can't. I'm so sorry you're going to miss out on your chance at achieving your dream, to ride for your country."
 
The sentiment was genuine, and touched Heero to the core. "Duo, you have nothing to be sorry for. You've done all you can and I'm really grateful that Zero is still alive. Without your skills, he wouldn't be. As for my dream of riding for my country in the Olympics, it can still happen."
 
"Eh? How? Zero's not ever going to be ridden again."
 
"Shinigami."
 
"Okay, now I really think you've had a bang to the head you're not telling me about. Heero, Shini's only five and not even A grade yet. Besides, I don't think the rules allow you to substitute one horse with another." Duo wasn't all that clued up, but he did have some basic knowledge of the sport.
 
Heero chuckled. "Not now," he said. "The next Olympic games, Duo. I know Shini isn't ready for anything regarding International competition yet. He needs time to develop, to gain experience and travel through the grades. There's no reason why, though, that in another three years time, he shouldn't be capable of making the short list."
 
Smiling, Duo raised his head and stole a sweet kiss. "Always the optimist. That's what I love about you, Heero."
 
"Actually, it was Treize's suggestion."
 
"Ah."
 
"That talk he had with me whilst you were busy with Zero? Shini qualifying was one of the topics."
 
"Then I'd be trusting in what Treize says. He should know what he's talking about, after all, he's done it all before."
 
"Yeah."
 
They remained entwined on the kitchen chair for a little while longer, each lost in his own thoughts until Duo shifted and broke the silence. "I'm going to go check on Zero before going to bed,' he said softly.
 
"I'll come with you."
 
* * *
 
Zero was as comfortable as could be expected.
 
Standing quietly in his stable next to the partition that separated him from Scythe, the gray stallion was dozing, his fractured leg resting lightly on the ground, his main weight taken on the other three legs. Hearing the approach of his master's footsteps, Zero gave a low wuffle.
 
"Hey, boy. How you doing?" Heero said as he opened the stable door and slipped inside, Duo a few moments behind him having stopped to get his stethoscope.
 
While Heero petted the stallion, Duo gave him a thorough check over, taking his temperature, respiration and heart rates. “I'll give him another shot of pain killer to see him through the night,” Duo informed Heero and went to fetch the drug. Returning, Duo quickly injected the pain killer and then offered Zero a carrot for being a good boy.
 
Zero took the carrot and crunched it, enjoying the taste. His leg still throbbed and hurt when he tried to put weight on it, but the nice human showered him with tender care, caresses and carrots, even if he had stuck him with something that hurt for a second. The pain in his leg began to recede again and Zero began to feel more comfortable. He rubbed his nose against his master's chest and received some more petting.
 
He's a good patient,” Duo commented as he watched the stallion lapping up the attention.
 
More like a big baby,” Heero chuckled.
 
I'd rather he be acting like that than trying to get physical,” Duo returned. “At least he has sense enough to know he's injured and to take it easy.”
 
He's never been a silly horse.”
 
Amen to that.” Duo stepped out of the stable and disposed of the needle. Returning, he gave Scythe and Shini a couple of carrots before checking all the stable doors were bolted and the monitor from the stables to the house switched on.
 
Heero stepped out and followed his lover to the large doors of the stable block, assisting in closing and locking them.
 
With everything taken care of, they returned to the house.
 
* * *
 
Crawling under the covers, Heero found himself being drawn into his boyfriend's arms. He didn't resist, the warmth of Duo's body was welcome.
 
Needing to reassure himself that his partner was okay, and not just physically, Duo began to feather kisses over Heero's neck and jaw, working his way towards Heero's mouth where he proceeded to kiss the rider senseless. He wanted to make Heero forget the pain in his heart, take away the emotional turmoil and replace it with the warmth of being loved. Heero needed to rest, to sleep and knowing his lover as well as he did, Duo knew Heero would lie awake and brood for quite some time. Duo intended to wear his partner out so he would drift into a dreamless sleep and get the much needed rest.
 
Slow kisses were given and received, each man surrendering to the other and enjoying the intimacy. Gradually, Duo's mouth worked its way over every inch of skin it could find, leaving Heero a quivering mess of hormones, want and need. Underwear became history, lube was located and bodies prepared.
 
When Duo finally entered him, Heero cried out, his world shattering around him, the hurt and pain of self hatred bleeding slowly from him and replaced with nothing but love and pleasure.
 
Duo was slow and gentle in his lovemaking, instinctively knowing that Heero needed this, needed to be loved. His hips thrust languidly, striking Heero's prostate from time to time and bathing his lover in pure sensation. As his own pleasure built, Duo reached between them and curled his fingers around Heero's shaft. He stroked the hard organ slowly, building the pleasure until Heero was a mindless, wriggling mess beneath him, begging for his release.
 
Ah, more. Oh, god, yesss! Please, please, Duo, let me come. Stroke me faster, pound me harder, I need to come.”
 
Smiling lovingly at his partner's wanton state, Duo obliged. His hips sped up a little, as did his hand and within minutes, Heero was crying out his pleasure to the four walls of the bedroom. Duo was a few strokes behind him.
 
Lying together in a tangle of limbs they rode their respective orgasms until the cooling mess made its presence known. Duo slid from inside Heero's passage and grabbed some wet wipes from the night stand. Quickly cleaning them both off and tossing the used wipes into the trash bin, Duo scooped his boyfriend into his arms and held him close. Heero's face was relaxed, his satisfied body humming with pleasure as he slipped quietly into oblivion.
 
Snuggling even closer, Duo was pleased to hear Heero's breathing even out. He placed a gentle kiss to the chocolate locks and tugged the blankets tighter around them. “Good night, Heero,” he whispered.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...