Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, they belong to Bandai, Sotsu etc. I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by yami_tai & ginny. *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his show jumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 14
 
When Heero woke the following morning it took him a couple of minutes to orientate himself. Then all the preceding twenty-four hours events came flooding back.
 
Zero.
 
Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Heero rolled over to reach for Duo, only to find the vet wasn't there. He felt around the bed sheets and found they were cold, which meant Duo had been gone for a while. Tossing the covers back, Heero found his sweat pants and tugged them up over his legs and hips, snagging a t-shirt from the floor as he bolted out the room. If Duo wasn't there it could only mean he was worried about Zero. Panic began to infiltrate, Heero wondering why his partner hadn't woken him if the monitor in the stables had indicated something wrong.
 
The house was quiet, bathroom empty and Heero's anxiety began to rise further. There was no sign of Duo in the kitchen, either and if Duo had been called out to a case, surely Heero would have heard the phone ring.
 
Grabbing his sneakers from beside the back door, he shoved his feet into them and began to sprint towards the stable block.
 
The door stood open and Heero slowed his run as he heard the soft sounds of horses and Duo's low murmur from within. Pausing at the door to catch is breath, Heero took a peek inside and smiled.
 
Duo exited Zero's stable and put the empty feed bucket down so he could bolt the door shut again. Shini banged on his stable door and gave a low grunt. "Okay, okay. Don't be so impatient. I'll be taking you out to your paddock in just a moment."
 
Shini pawed at the door again. He wanted his breakfast! The human had been flitting about the stables for a short while and Shini had seen his feed bucket disappear out to the paddock so he knew his breakfast was out there and he was hungry! He couldn't understand why the human was messing around in his sire's stable with the stallion when he was hungry. He gave a whinny of annoyance.
 
Scythe simply stood with her head over her stable door and watched. She knew she would be getting her breakfast soon and was quite happy to wait for the nice human to take her out to the green paddock. She also knew that by waiting patiently she would most likely get one of her favorite treats for being good - sugar cubes.
 
Duo sighed as he reached for the lead rope hanging beside Shini's door. "Shame you didn't inherit some of your mother's patience," he muttered to the young stallion as he clipped the lead rope to the halter and was nearly bowled over when Shini attempted to barge through him to get out to the paddock and his feed. "Hey! Cut it out!" Duo snapped and gave the lead rope a sharp tug.
 
"Someone needs a lesson in ground manners."
 
"Heero! Fuck! You scared the living daylights outta me!"
 
Heero chuckled. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." Heero looked at Shini, who was still pulling at the lead rope, almost dragging Duo across the stable breeze-way. "Here, give him to me."
 
Duo handed the lead rope over without comment. He knew he wasn't as experienced as Heero in dealing with the impatient stallion.
 
"Shini!" Heero scolded and gave a sharp pull on the lead rope, effectively bringing the stallion to a stop. "That's enough. Remember your manners."
 
Shini looked sheepishly at his master.
 
That's better." Heero wasn't fooled by the innocent expression on the youngster's face for a moment. Shini wasn't being nasty, he was just being a youngster. Zero had been similar in some ways when he was younger. "I'll take him out if you want to bring Scythe."
 
"Will do." Duo grabbed Scythe's lead rope and clipped it to the mare's halter. "Good girl," Duo murmured and fed the mare a sugar cube.
 
Scythe crunched it happily. The sweetness was good on her tongue and she wuffled in delight. She gave the young stallion a smug look. It paid to be good.
 
Shini snorted and stamped his hoof. His eyes flicked to his master and then, with a quick jerk of his head, Shini tried to take off out of the stables and to the paddock.
 
Heero was taken by surprise and it took him a moment to gather his wits. Once he did though...
 
"Come on, Scythe, I don't think we need to witness this," Duo snickered as he watched Heero's face change from calm to annoyed.
 
Scythe agreed and walked willingly beside the nice human, crunching another sugar cube as she went.
 
"Shinigami!" Heero snapped and pulled hard on the lead rope.
 
The stallion nearly sat down as his attempted escape was thwarted. He pulled up short and blinked at his master.
 
"I think you need to re-learn your manners," Heero growled.
 
Hanging his head, Shini peeked out from behind his forelock. This wasn't good. He could tell from the tone of his master's voice that his master was not happy with him.
 
"If you are going to persist in this bad behavior then I'm going to have to work you harder and teach you how to behave properly again." Heero gave the lead rope a sharp tug.
 
Shini reached forward and gently pushed his muzzle against his master's chest.
 
"That's not going to work either. Now, you will walk beside me, you will not try to pull and you will stay out of my personal space. Got it?!" Heero fixed the youngster with his gaze. Liquid brown stared innocently back at him. "Right. Let's go." Heero turned and Shini followed.
 
Duo had put Scythe in her paddock and was closing the gate when he spotted Heero coming down the lane way between paddocks, Shini walking docilely beside him. "Well I'll be," he muttered.
 
Heero reached the gate and Shini stood quietly beside him as he opened it and then led the stallion through. Unclipping the lead rope, Heero let Shini go. The youngster, still mindful of his master's annoyance with him, turned and walked over to his feed bin and breakfast.
 
"I have to hand it to you, Heero. You sure know how to handle him," Duo said with a chuckle as he leaned on the top spar of the gate to watch.
 
"He's just being a horse,' Heero replied. "Occasionally he needs a reminder to behave himself but he's not a mean or vicious horse."
 
"No, he's not. Still, I don't think I will ever be able to handle them as well as you do."
 
"You handle him just fine. Actually, you seem to have a knack with all animals, Duo. I guess it's because you care and animals can sense that."
 
Duo blushed. "Aww, quit with the sappy stuff."
 
"How is Zero?" Heero changed the subject. With the fun and games with Shini, Heero's mind had been taken away from worrying about his beloved gray. Now that the 'drama' was over, his mind switched back to the reason for his hasty arrival at the stables. "I woke up and you were gone. I thought..."
 
"Zero's fine. I didn't want to wake you, so I went to check on him when I woke up. I thought you could do with the extra time to sleep so I was hoping to have the other two out, stables done and breakfast on the go before you woke up. Looks like I failed on that one."
 
"Thanks. It was a nice thought." Heero stepped up to his partner and embraced him. Finding Duo's lips, Heero kissed his lover. "Sorry if I spoilt your surprise."
 
"It's okay. You can make it up to me later," Duo replied, his voice husky. They remained in each other's arms for a few more minutes before Duo pulled away. "I should get back to the stables and get them cleaned out. There's breakfast to be had and then morning consults for me."
 
"Okay." Heero let his lover go, but caught Duo's hand. Holding tightly to it, he walked back to the stables beside his lover.
 
Back at the stables, Heero made a beeline for Zero. The gray was standing with his head in his feed bin, jaws working rhythmically as he ate his food. The white plaster on his foreleg stood out in sharp contrast, reminding Heero yet again of how close he'd come to losing his friend. The warmth of Duo's body beside him reminded him he wasn't alone in this. "How is he doing?" Heero asked softly.
 
"It's still early days yet, Heero, but so far, he's doing just fine. The cast is holding up well and he's only putting minimal weight on the leg, which is good. His temperature, heart and breathing rates are normal which is always a good sign. I've given him another shot of antibiotic and pain killer. I've also put some 'bute in his feed which will help with the swelling and inflammation."
 
"Thank you."
 
"My pleasure."
 
Heero watched his horse for a few more minutes, then fetched the other poop scoop and gave Duo a hand with the stables.
 
* * *
 
Morning consults were very busy. Every appointment was booked and the phone was continuously ringing. Poor Catherine had her work cut out for her trying to field calls, keep the client files coming and write out receipts. Most of the calls were from people in the equine world who had heard about Zero's accident and were ringing to offer their good wishes. Catherine was continuously putting the calls through to the house for Heero until Heero decided that enough was enough and came up to the surgery to help out. He took over the answering of the phone and left Cathy free to continue with the clients.
 
Quite a few of the clients had also heard of Zero's accident and stopped to offer Heero their sincere wishes for a speedy recovery for the stallion. Heero had been touched by the sheer number of well wishes he'd received.
 
The real crunch came, though, when a delivery man called in to the surgery. Heero was busy on a call when a youth opened the door and entered. He approached the desk and placed a large box on the floor before smiling warmly at Catherine.
 
"Can I help you?" Catherine asked, curious as to what this young man should want.
 
"Ah, I hope so." The man looked at a piece of paper he held. "This is the Maxwell Veterinary Practice?"
 
"Yes."
 
"I have a delivery for a Mr Yuy?"
 
Hearing his name, Heero finished his call and turned around. "I'm Heero Yuy."
 
"Good. I have a delivery here for you." The man bent down and heaved the box up, placing it on the reception desk.
 
"A delivery? Who's it from?" Heero looked at the box curiously.
 
"I don't know, I only deliver the things," the youth replied with a smile. "There's probably a card or something inside that will tell you that. Can you sign here, please?" he handed over a clipboard, pointing to where Heero needed to sign.
 
Heero signed his name and the youth bid them good day.
 
"What the hell?" Duo asked as he came out of the consulting room and handed over the client file to Catherine, spotting the big box on the desk. "Oh, Mr Finn, just go on through there and Catherine will look after you. If there's no improvement in a couple of days, bring Spot back in."
 
"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell."
 
Duo nodded absently to the client, then turned his attention back to the box and Heero, who was looking at it as if it was going to blow up in his face. "What is it?"
 
"I don't know. Delivery man just left it here a moment ago," Heero replied, still giving the box a suspicious look over.
 
"Glaring at it isn't going to do anything, Heero. You need to open it," Duo chuckled.
 
"Aa. Right."
 
"Oh, for heavens sake," Catherine growled. "Two grown men all suspicious over a box. Here, let me." Catherine grabbed the scissors from the desk drawer and slid them along the brown packaging tape, slicing it neatly and opening the box. "Well, I'll be," she whispered.
 
"What?" Heero's curiosity got the better of him and seeing as how Catherine hadn't caught on fire, blown up or been attacked by who knew what, he felt safe in venturing forwards a little. "Wow."
 
"Well, shit," Duo stated as he took in the contents. "Who the heck sent that?"
 
"Dunno," Heero replied and began to fish around in the box for a card or note. He found one a second later and began to read it.
 
Catherine smiled as she went over the contents. The box was packed tightly with apples, carrots and sugar cubes.
 
Heero made a small sound in the back of his throat attracting Duo's attention. Gazing at his lover, Duo was alarmed to see tears shimmering in those cobalt depths.
 
"Heero? You okay?"
 
Heero quickly rubbed his eyes and handed to note to Duo to read - he didn't trust his voice right now.
 
Duo took the note and skimmed over it. His eyes softened and also began to fill with tears. "Oh, Heero," he said quietly.
 
Catherine had discreetly kept her attention on the box, feeling the emotion in the air and not wanting to embarrass either of the men. When Duo passed her the note, she took it and read it out aloud.
 
'Dear Mr Yuy,
 
The pony club members and committee extend their sympathy to you and your horse, Zero. We were all saddened to hear that Zero had hurt himself and that your Olympic chances have been temporarily stalled.
 
We all hope that Zero makes a full recovery and spends many more happy years with you. Please give him this box of treats. All the members put in for it and would like Zero to have it to help him in his recovery.
 
Good luck for the future and thank you for being an inspiration to the young riders of tomorrow.
 
Sincerely yours,
 
Salsbury Pony Club members, committee and parents.'
 
"Well, isn't that just so sweet of them," Catherine said softly. "Zero is certainly well known and appreciated by a lot of people, especially if the phone calls and now this are any indication."
 
"Yeah," Duo said as he watched his boyfriend struggle to regain his composure.
 
"I think I need to be alone for a bit. I'll take this up to the house and put it away." Heero picked up the box and carefully tucked the note back inside. He would call the Pony Club secretary later and thank her for the kind gesture. Right now he was too emotionally drained to do so.
 
"I'll take all the calls and make a note of people for you if you like, Heero?" Catherine offered.
 
"Thanks. I'll see you later at lunch, Duo."
 
"I'll be up as soon as consults are finished." Duo gave his lover a warm smile. He could understand Heero's need to be alone for a bit - the man clearly had no clue that Zero, or himself for that matter, were so popular in the equine world.
 
* * *
 
Consults finished not long after Heero left and Duo was hanging up his white coat when Catherine told him there was a call from Doctor Merquise for him. Duo took the offered phone and Catherine left to clean up the consulting room, leaving the two vets to discuss their business in private.
 
"Zechs?"
 
"Hey, Duo. I was calling to see how the patient is this morning."
 
"Zero is looking a lot better, thanks, Zechs. There's not much in the way of swelling or heat in the limb, but the 'bute is taking care of that. Temperature, heart and breathing rates are all normal and he's eating well so shock has been avoided."
 
"Thank god for that," Zechs murmured.
 
"He's starting to take a little weight on the leg but not much, which is good. He seems to know he has to take things easy."
 
"He's a smart horse."
 
"That he is," Duo chuckled. "Zechs?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"I can't thank you enough for all your help with the operation and all. I don't think I would have been able to do it by myself."
 
"Yes, you would. I was only the assistant, there to pass over the instruments and swab away the sweat from your brow." Zechs tried teasing the other vet. He already knew how Duo had felt and could sympathize with the man.
 
Duo shook his head and laughed. "Sweat on the brow?"
 
"Kinda lame, huh?"
 
"You could say that. Seriously, you were a great help and I appreciate all you did with the advice and all."
 
"It was my pleasure, Duo. I only wish this had never happened, that my services hadn't been needed at all."
 
"So do I," Duo murmured.
 
"As long as all is going well that's good news. When are you planning on x-raying again?"
 
"I thought I'd take a couple of pictures tomorrow, check that all is okay."
 
"Would you mind if I dropped by tomorrow evening and took a look? I'm interested in following up on the recovery, if that's okay with both you and Heero? I don't want to interfere or look like I'm trying to take over or anything."
 
"You'd be more than welcome, Zechs. You were a part of the team, so it's only right you should be a part of his recovery too."
 
"Thank you."
 
"I'll see you tomorrow, late afternoon then?"
 
"Look forward to it."
 
"Bye, Duo."
 
"Bye, Zechs." Duo replaced the phone and stood staring at the wall for a moment, lost in his thoughts. Mentally shaking himself, he went through to the consulting room to give Catherine a hand to finish cleaning up.
 
* * *
 
Heero had taken the box back to the house and sat it on the kitchen table. He re-read the note and stared at the box for a little longer, his heart and mind trying to come to grips with the kind thoughts that had been sent his and Zero's way. He'd been touched so much by the number of calls he'd received regarding Zero and this kind gesture was about all he could take. A tear tracked down his cheek as he understood that Zero not only meant a lot to him, but was loved, adored and an inspiration to so many others; none more so than these pony club kids who had sent Zero a get well soon treat.
 
Managing to compose himself, he went through to the lounge room and picked up the phone. He dialed Mrs Henderson's number and waited for the call to connect. Five minutes later he was hanging up the phone, the lump in his throat was still there, but he felt a whole lot better for the 'chat'.
 
Mrs Henderson had been quiet and to the point with him, brushing aside his thanks and simply letting him know that the entire club was supporting his decision and they were all hoping for Zero to make a full recovery. Heero had given the woman the short version of Zero's injuries and the projected outcome. When he'd said that Zero wouldn't ever be ridden again, she sympathized with him, when he mentioned the possibility of standing Zero at stud the woman had made him promise to let her know immediately he did and what his stud fee would be as she had a couple of mares she would love to send to Zero to sire foals from.
 
Heero had been a little stunned at that. He knew his horse had his own mini 'fan club', but he didn't think he would get this sort of response to the idea of standing him at stud. Looked like he would need to have a really good, long talk with Treize about that prospect.
 
"Heero?"
 
"In here," Heero replied as he heard Duo call him. Moments later the vet stepped into the room and was embracing Heero in his arms.
 
"You okay?"
 
"Hai. I'm fine, Duo." Heero rested his head against Duo's shoulder. "You know something?"
 
"No. What?"
 
"I think I should start to believe you when you say Zero's a popular horse and well known."
 
"Huh?" Duo pulled back slightly and put a finger under Heero's chin, tilting the man's head so he could see into those mesmerizing eyes.
 
"I called Mrs Henderson to thank her and the pony club for their kind gift and good wishes for Zero's recovery."
 
"And?"
 
"I also happened to mention that I was thinking of standing Zero at stud once his leg is healed as his career as a show jumper is over."
 
"Ah." Duo thought he was starting to pick up on where this was going.
 
"She asked me to let her know if I do stand him at stud as she has two mares she would like to put to him."
 
Duo chuckled. "I told you people would want to breed a foal from him."
 
"Yeah, I know."
 
"Good. Maybe now you will start to take notice when I say something. I think you should have a long talk with Treize about this. He knows more about it than I would," Duo said softly.
 
"I'm back to work tomorrow, so I'll have a chat with him then."
 
"Okay. I want to hear all about it when you get home."
 
"As if I wouldn't dare tell you," Heero teased.
 
Duo reached forth and stole a kiss. "I'm going down to check Zero's vitals and the cast. You gonna come with me?"
 
"Of course."
 
* * *
 
The pair had only been in the stable block long enough for Duo to fetch his stethoscope when Hilde burst in.
 
“I thought I'd find you two here,” she said as she walked over to Zero's stable. “How is he doing?” Hilde's skilled eyes ran over the stallion's form, noting the cast and the way the horse was standing, the distribution of his weight and general air about him. She gave a small sigh of relief. Ever since Zechs had informed them of Zero's fracture, the woman had been breaking her own neck to see the horse for herself and reassure herself that all was well with him. She didn't doubt Duo's skills, Zechs' either, but there was just something about seeing things with your own eyes to relax and satisfy yourself.
 
“So far he's doing well,” Duo replied. “There's a long way to go and we're not out of the woods yet - not by a long shot - but at this stage, Zero is progressing as well as can be expected.”
 
In vet speak that translated to: 'I've done all I can and it's now up to mother nature or fate to decide.'
 
“Mind if I take a look?” Hilde asked; her curiosity was aroused.
 
“I don't have any objection if Heero doesn't.”
 
“It's fine with me,” Heero said as he stepped into the stallion's stable and caught the horse.
 
Hilde followed Duo inside and whilst her boss took the horse's vitals, she crouched down and inspected the plaster cast. She noted how the horse only rested the toe of his hoof on the ground - only occasionally did he put it flat, and then not for long or with any proper weight on it.
 
“Mind if I take a look at the x-rays?” Hilde asked as Duo finished his check over.
 
“They're in the dispensary,” Duo replied as he bent and picked up Zero's hoof, carefully flexing the fetlock and knee. His main concern was swelling, although the 'bute would help a long way with keeping that to a minimum. Duo was still worried that the swelling might become a problem; with the solid plaster cast, there wasn't anywhere really for it to go.
 
Pleased with the way the knee and fetlock joints were flexing, Duo knew that his patient was comfortable and that the swelling wasn't a problem yet, if at all.
 
Hilde returned from the dispensary a little subdued. The x-rays had shown her just how close Zero had come to being... She shoved that thought away quickly. She didn't want to think of what could have been. “I'll be interested to see the next lot of films when you take them,” Hilde said, producing a carrot from her pocket and feeding it to Zero.
 
The gray politely took the carrot and munched happily on it. He could really get used to this 'being ill' thing, especially as it brought him lots of attention in the form of petting and carrots.
 
“I'm going to x-ray again tomorrow afternoon. Zechs is going to drop by and take a look too. I want to make sure that the pins and plate are all holding up okay,” Duo replied.
 
“Okay. You don't mind if I take a look too?” Hilde was genuinely curious. Like Duo, she'd done pins and plates before, but they had been on a couple of cats and one dog. She'd never done it or seen it done on a large animal before and was keen to learn more about it.
 
“I don't mind if Heero's doesn't. It's his horse after all.”
 
“It's fine with me, Hilde,” Heero said as he let Zero go and moved to fetch the empty haynet now that Duo had finished his examination.
 
“Thanks.”
 
* * *
 
Heero had finished working Aries, the chestnut having gone brilliantly and Heero was very pleased with him. At this rate, Aries would be A grade by half way through next season. Altron had also gone well that morning, jumping the higher course with ease and Heero felt a sense of accomplishment. Treize had also been happy with both horse's performances and didn't hesitate to let Heero know.
 
Treize had joined Heero in the paddock on Romeo, the rangy bay needing some work over the grid to help him with his striding. Romeo was still growing and currently stood at seventeen hands. It was lucky Treize had long legs, Heero had remarked one day. If it were Heero trying to get on Romeo he'd have needed a crane to lift him up - there was no way he'd be able to get up there under his own steam!
 
Romeo was going okay in Treize's book. He felt the stallion could benefit from some grid work though, quite often he didn't seem to know where to put those long legs of his. Heero had commented that the bay looked like a cross between a kangaroo and a spider; all legs and nothing else. And those legs all seemed to go in different directions at times.
 
The grid made the horse think and after a few goes down the series of jumps, Romefeller was managing to control his wayward limbs. Having decided the stallion had done enough for the day, Treize walked him around and cooled him off.
 
Returning to the stables and unsaddling the horses, Treize mentioned a new animal he had in the stable and immediately got Heero's attention.
 
“It's a two year old, gray filly,” Treize announced as he walked from the stables through to the paddocks out back where the horses were turned out from time to time for a 'green pick'.
 
“Ah. How long before you break her in?” Heero asked.
 
“I'll start doing ground work on her over the next few weeks. After that it will be lungeing and the like. I won't be backing her until she's around three to three and a half,” Treize replied.
 
They stopped at the paddock rails and Heero got his first look at the filly. She was off to the side grazing and didn't pay them any attention. Heero ran his critical eye over her, noting the sloping shoulder, short back and strong hindquarters. She was a little straighter in the hocks than he would have liked, but you couldn't have everything.
 
“What's her breeding?” Heero asked.
 
Treize glanced out the corner of his eye as he spoke. “She's by Peacemillion out of Feather.”
 
Heero's head snapped around. “She's one of Peacemillion's foals?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Nice,” was all Heero was able to come up with right then.
 
“Both Relena and I think she's going to be International standard.” Treize paused for a moment. “You know something, Heero?”
 
“No. What?”
 
“Zero has a slightly better conformation than Peacemillion. Scythe, whilst not a badly conformed mare, isn't what one would classify as a top brood mare. Young Shinigami is better conformed than both of them.”
 
“Your point is?”
 
“If Zero can sire a foal of Shinigami's caliber from an 'ordinary' mare, what do you think he could sire from a really good mare?”
 
Heero's mind wrestled with that for a moment. “Treize?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”
 
“Go right ahead. I'll answer them as best I can.”
 
“I spoke with Duo regarding what you suggested about standing Zero at stud once his leg is healed. He agrees it would be a good idea. He also said that the money I charge for a stud fee could go towards the purchase of a top mare and then I can breed my own.”
 
“It certainly bears thinking about.”
 
“I know, but I don't have any experience with standing a stallion at stud, what's involved, fees and charges and all that other stuff.”
 
“As far as the what's involved bit, you can leave that to Zero. I'm sure he knows what goes where.”
 
“Treize!!”
 
Treize laughed at the expression on Heero's face.
 
“That's not what I meant and you know it.”
 
“Sorry, couldn't help myself. Look, I'm not all that clued up either, I only know the basic stuff, but,” Treize took a deep breath. “I know you're probably not going to like this, but I think you should speak to Relena about the breeding side of things. She may have been a pain in the ass to both you and Duo in the past, but she's learnt her lesson and I'm sure she would be happy to give you some advice and help you out where possible.”
 
“I don't know,” Heero growled.
 
“Look, I can give her a call, explain what's going on and see what she thinks and could suggest. I still think you would be better discussing this with her - after all, she does run a successful stud herself and she wouldn't steer you wrong. She might be a lot of things, but she really does care about blood lines and horses in general. Besides, I'll stay right by your side at all times if you wish.”
 
Heero gave a sigh. What Treize said made good sense. Relena, despite her past association with him, was a shrewd and astute business woman and did know what she was talking about when it came to breeding. “I'll talk to Duo about it and see what he thinks.”
 
“Okay.”
 
With nothing further to do, the pair wandered back to the stables where Heero bade his boss farewell and headed home to Duo.
 
Treize went inside his house and made a call to Relena.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...