Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai and ginny *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 15
 
Arriving back home from his day at Treize's, Heero's mind was preoccupied with the thoughts of standing Zero at stud and Treize's suggestion about talking to Relena. He knew how Duo felt about the woman despite the fact that Relena had not contacted them at all since the fiasco over a year ago. Once all the dust had settled, Relena had left them alone, her apologies having been accepted. Zechs had done a lot of talking with Relena and regardless of all that had come to light, Zechs' story, his confession to Relena about both his and her mother's childhoods and the following lies and deceptions, the pair had formed a close, family bond.
 
Relena had done a lot of growing up, had her eyes opened quite a bit and was now a much more mature and accepting woman. Heero didn't think she would be a problem to him now. The problem was going to be in convincing his lover that talking to Relena was the best option for this situation.
 
Removing his boots outside the back door, Heero stepped inside and cocked his head as a barrage of words could be heard coming from the direction of the laundry. He shook his head as he wandered in the direction of his partner's voice.
 
“Jesus fucking Christ, it's not as if I'm asking the impossible here!” Duo's voice floated on the air.
 
Heero wondered who on earth Duo could be talking to, and in such a tone.
 
“I swear, one of these days I'll perform surgery on you and it won't be pleasant!”
 
There was a moment's silence, then a whirring noise, splutter and finally a grinding noise.
 
“Oh, for crying out loud! I only just put the belt back on you, you piece of shit. Oh, hi, Heero. I didn't hear you come in,” Duo said as he realized he wasn't alone.
 
Heero had stuck his head around the laundry door and snorted at the sight. “I can see that,” Heero replied. “What's going on?”
 
Duo stood in the middle of the laundry, clothes scattered about him in various piles as he eyed off the washing machine. “Gertrude,” Duo stated simply as if all the answers were in that one word.
 
“Yes, I can see it's the washing machine,” Heero said patiently.
 
Duo grunted. “Not for much longer,” he growled.
 
Eyeing the spanner in Duo's hand and the way the vet was narrowing his eyes at the washing machine, Heero thought it was time to ask a really intelligent question. “What's wrong with Gertrude?”
 
“This fucking piece of shit won't work properly. Damn over sized laundry tub keeps slipping its belt and stopping on me.”
 
“Aa.”
 
“I'm getting bloody well fed up of putting the belt back on. I've got loads of washing to do and I don't have the time to be stuffing around with this!”
 
Seeing the spanner about to attack the machine, Heero stepped forward. “Here, let me have a go a fixing it. You go make a coffee or something.”
 
Duo halted and let his boyfriend take the spanner from him. “Okay, but I warn you, you're on your own. This piece of junk has already gotten my boxers in a knot, and I mean literally.” Duo picked up a wet, tangled mess of underwear from the laundry tub. “See?”
 
Heero couldn't help it, he laughed. “Go on, shoo. I'll sort Gertrude out while you relax a bit. I'll even untangle your underwear for you.”
 
“Okay.” Duo gave his lover a peck on the lips. “Good luck, you're gonna need it.” Leaving his partner to tame the washing machine, Duo went to the kitchen to make a coffee.
 
Heero studied the machine for a moment and then set to work.
 
Fifteen minutes later, Gertrude was gurgling happily away and Duo's underwear had been sorted out.
 
* * *
 
“How the heck did you manage to get it fixed?” Duo asked as he gazed at the perfectly behaved machine that was humming away.
 
“Quite simple really. All you needed to do was adjust the tension on the belt. It was too loose which is why it kept slipping off. I just loosened the nut and moved the flywheel slightly, tightened the nut again and away she went,” Heero replied smugly.
 
“Yeah, well, I still think Nrobbuts is somehow convincing all the other appliances to gang up on me.”
 
“Duo? Have you been watching 'Electric Dreams' again?”
 
“Um.”
 
“I've told you several times, there's no way that an inanimate object can try to take over your life.”
 
“Then why does that damn hunk of chips and circuits work properly for everyone else and not me?”
 
Heero didn't have an answer for that one, but he was seriously beginning to think his partner was 'electronically challenged'.
 
Duo sighed. “Seeing as how you're the expert here and managed to get Gertrude back on track, I think you should be responsible for the laundry.”
 
Heero raised an eyebrow and then gave a defeated shrug. Shaking his head he grabbed his partner by the hand and left the washing machine to its own devices. “I draw the line at using Jaws. That thing is an accident waiting to happen,” he said as he headed for the kitchen with Duo in tow. Jaws was Duo's ancient lawn mower. Duo didn't seem to have many problems with the battered piece of machinery, but Heero...
 
Heero had only tried to mow the lawn once. It had taken him half an hour to get the mower started, once he did he realized he hadn't checked the height of the blades, they were set too low and almost 'eaten' the lawn back to bare sand. Having readjusted the blade height, Heero had slipped the thing into presumably first gear only to find he'd missed and gone into third instead. Jaws had promptly 'reared up' on him and taken off across the lawn at a gallop, Heero hanging grimly onto the handle and trying to pull the thing to a stop by brute force.
 
He finally managed to get the mower back into neutral and brought to a stop, not before 'eating' one of Duo's flower beds though. Having calmed down he tried again, only this time the motor spluttered and gave a loud rev of the engine before coughing and shutting off with a loud bang and spectacular cloud of smoke. Heero emerged from the smoke, coughing up a lung and rubbing frantically at his watering eyes. Duo had rushed out of surgery when he'd heard the bang, fully expecting to find his partner in pieces. He hadn't expected to see a cloud of smoke and a rather 'black' Heero emerging from it. Once Duo had reassured himself that Heero was okay, he'd dissolved into fits of laughter; much to Heero's disgust.
 
Heero had never gone near Jaws again.
 
“Jaws isn't vindictive, Heero,” Duo chuckled.
 
“Could have fooled me,” Heero growled. “That thing is just biding its time, waiting for the chance to take the head off the daisies. Why don't you get a new one?”
 
“There's nothing wrong with Jaws. It cuts the lawn for me just fine,” Duo replied in defense of the lawn mower.
 
“It might behave itself for you, but it damn well likes to try and run me into the nearest tree.”
 
“Now you know how I feel about Nrobbuts.”
 
“Point noted,” Heero sighed.
 
Duo smiled. “I think we're both appliance challenged at some stage, Heero.”
 
“Hai, I have to agree with you there.” Heero took a long drink from his coffee mug and wondered if now would be a good time to mention to Duo about Treize's suggestion they speak to Relena about standing Zero at stud. Duo did seem to be in a much better frame of mind now. He snorted softly to himself. He was a grown man for heavens sake and yet he was acting like a toddler waiting to see if his parents were in a good mood before asking for something!
 
Duo, meanwhile, had picked up on his partner's distraction. He'd become a master of Heero decoding and knew there was something eating away at his lover. “Okay, Heero. Whatever it is, spill.”
 
Heero looked up sharply. “That obvious, huh?”
 
“You could say so. You're distracted by something and I know you well enough by now to know you want to talk about it, and it's something I'm not going to be too keen on hearing.”
 
Sighing softly, Heero fiddled with his mug for a moment before deciding the straight forward approach was probably going to be the best. “I spoke to Treize regarding standing Zero at stud.”
 
“And?” Duo encouraged.
 
“He's not all that clued up himself. He suggested I should talk to someone else, someone who has been in the breeding game for a while and would know all the ins and outs of it.”
 
Duo's eyes narrowed and he drew in a slow breath. He had an idea where this was going and he wasn't sure he wanted to hear it.
 
“Treize suggested I talk to Relena.”
 
He was right. He didn't want to hear it. “That pink menace?” he growled.
 
“Duo, wait a minute and let me finish, please.”
 
“After everything that parasite put us through...”
 
“Duo?”
 
“Treize wants you to talk to her?”
 
“Duo, listen. Relena has apologized, she hasn't been near either of us in ages, she hasn't called or tried in any way, shape, form or matter to associate with me. I think she's learnt her lesson. Finding out all she did does explain a lot of her behavior and reactions, even though it doesn't excuse them and given her involvement with the Peacecraft stud, the type of animals she's breeding it would stand to common sense she would be the best person to speak with regarding Zero's stud career. Unless you can think of someone else, I'm afraid she will have to be it.”
 
“But, Relena?”
 
“I know, and don't even suggest we blunder along blindly through this. I haven't got a clue when it comes to breeding.”
 
“I don't know. Shinigami is turning out okay," Duo replied.
 
“If you cast your mind back, Duo, Shinigami wasn't planned.”
 
“Most pregnancies aren't,” Duo chuckled.
 
Heero rolled his eyes in exasperation.
 
"Sorry, Heero."
 
Heero gave a deep sigh. "I know you really don't want to have anything to do with the woman, and I can't blame you for that. Hell, I don't want to have anything to do with her either, but..."
 
"It's okay, Heero. I do understand and around here you are rather limited when it comes to speaking with people who have made breeding horses their career."
 
"Then you won't mind if I talk to her?"
 
"No. Really though, I can't stop you, Zero is your horse and ultimately the decision is yours to make."
 
"Thank you, Duo." Heero got up and stepped around the table to where his lover was sitting and pulled him up into a bear hug. "I appreciate your opinion on this and if you really don't want me to talk to her I can try and find someone else. You mean a lot more to me than Zero's stud career and I don't intend to lose you over something this trivial."
 
Duo chuckled lightly. "As much as I don't particularly like the woman, I do think she's learned her lesson and won't try anything."
 
"Treize has offered to go with me and be my bodyguard," Heero snickered.
 
"Good, because there's no way I'll be letting you go alone, and I'm not the best person to take along with you either, I'd be likely to want to perform experimental surgery on her."
 
"Duo!"
 
"Just joking."
 
* * *
 
When Heero arrived at the Kushrenada stable for work the following day he found Treize with a person he didn't recognize. Treize was quick to introduce them, explaining that George Markham had contacted him regarding the purchase of a good speed horse. Treize had immediately thought of Aries and arranged for George to come out and see the horse for himself. Heero was a little saddened to hear that Aries was most likely going to be sold, but he had to remind himself that this was Treize's livelihood and he couldn't be expected to keep every promising young horse that happened through his stable.
 
Leaving Treize to discuss the business side of things, Heero saddled Aries up and took the horse out to the schooling paddock to work on the flat and then jump, showing the horse's paces to the interested buyer. George seemed impressed and when Heero had finished, he mounted and put Aries through his paces himself. Heero had to admit that the guy was a good rider, sympathetic to his horse and not asking too much. Aries seemed happy too.
 
Once George had finished his ride, Heero took Aries back tot he stables and set about making him comfortable. Treize and George disappeared into the house to finalize the business side of things. Half an hour later, Treize reappeared in the stables looking quite pleased with himself.
 
"I take it Aries is sold?" Heero asked.
 
"Yes, he is. George will be picking him up on the weekend."
 
"He seems a nice guy."
 
"George? He's a very good rider. Lots of talent and knows his horses. Aries will have a good home with him."
 
"Good."
 
"Heero? Did you speak to Duo regarding Zero and talking to Relena?"
 
"Hai, I did."
 
"And?" Treize allowed an amused smile to grace his lips.
 
"He agreed it would be the best option."
 
"Right. I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of calling Relena last night and explained a little to her. She was quite happy to have you come over and discuss things if you wish to. She also promised to behave herself."
 
Heero heaved a sigh of relief. "Thanks, Treize."
 
"No problem. Now, Altron can wait and be worked later, let's go visit Relena."
 
"Now?!"
 
"No time like the present," Treize replied and began to walk towards the house where his car was parked. "You coming?"
 
"Ah, yes." Heero stuck his hands into the pockets of his jacket and followed his boss. Seemed Treize wanted to get this visit over just as much as he did.
 
* * *
 
"Treize, Heero. So nice to see you both." Dorothy greeted them as she opened the door to the Peacecraft manor.
 
"Dorothy, nice to see you too. Relena is expecting us," Treize returned as they stepped into the foyer.
 
"She's in the office. I'll take you through."
 
Treize gave Heero a reassuring smile and followed behind Dorothy. Heero did his best to swallow the urge to bolt and forced his feet to move.
 
Relena was waiting for them in her office and rose to her feet as they walked in the door. "Treize, Heero. It's so nice to see you again." She held out her hand which Treize took and shook warmly.
 
Heero also shook the woman's hand and then resisted the urge to find somewhere to wash them. He gave a mental snort at his own idiocy, Duo would no doubt get a laugh out of his antics.
 
"Please, take a seat," Relena said breaking into Heero's thoughts. "Dorothy? Would you be so kind as to fetch our guests some refreshments, please?"
 
"Of course, Miss Relena. What would you like?" Dorothy turned her attention back to the pair who had sat down.
 
"Coffee would be fine for me, Dorothy. Heero?" Treize asked.
 
"Coffee would be good. Thank you." Heero was doing his best not to fidget.
 
Dorothy disappeared to fetch the drinks and there was a moment's silence before Relena began to speak.
 
"Treize tells me you're planning on standing your stallion at stud?"
 
"Hai. I am."
 
"I was sorry to hear of his accident, it's such a shame after you had gotten so far. Please accept my condolences."
 
"Thank you." Heero felt a little better with Relena's words and so far she was playing the part of the perfect hostess. Heero let himself relax a little.
 
"How can I be of assistance to you, Heero?"
 
Dorothy returned at that point with the refreshments so Heero had a moment to gather his thoughts.
 
Seeing Heero struggling to form words, Treize stepped in and took over the conversation for the moment. "Zero won't be ready to stand at stud for a few months yet, his leg needs time to heal. Heero's never had much to do with the breeding side of things and I suggested he speak to you in regards to what sort of stud fee he should charge for outside mares; also, what sort of guarantees he should put in the breeding agreement and so on."
 
"There's also the point of agisting the mares on Duo's property. Do I take mares in and keep them until they're off season, or should the mare owner simply bring the mare over two or three times to have Zero serve her?" Heero began to flush a little red. Whilst it might not be human sex he was talking about here, it still made him embarrassed to discuss it with a woman.
 
Fortunately, Relena could sense the discomfort and went into business woman mode. "Why don't we start at the beginning?"
 
"That would be a good place," Heero smiled softly. "It's all really confusing to me."
 
Relena laughed. "It isn't really, not once you have the basic layout. When you get down to genetics and trying to breed specifically, that's when it gets really hard."
 
Heero looked a little horrified at that, he'd not given any thought to genetics and the like.
 
"You won't have to worry though, I take it you're not trying to breed specifically?"
 
"Iie." Heero gave another sigh and thought it best to give Relena all the facts on exactly what he wanted to do. "The general plan is to take outside mares to Zero as I don't have anything myself I can breed with. I'm hoping to make enough money out of the stud fee to purchase a good quality mare and breed a foal of my own."
 
"Right." Relena thought for a moment, digesting Heero's words. "I'm going to try and explain to you what I would think is the best thing to do. If it were me, I'd stand him at public stud with a fee of two thousand per mare."
 
"Two thousand?!" Heero nearly choked.
 
"In my opinion, he's worth that much as a stud stallion. He's a very good show jumper and already has one foal on the ground that's starting to go very well under saddle so that's a good promotion for him. Once he has a second and then third crop of foals on the ground, I'd be upping his fee to four thousand."
 
This time, Heero did choke.
 
Relena carried on as if nothing had happened. "Start with the two thousand and I'd limit the number of mares he serves to around six. The money you make from that should be enough to buy yourself a good mare of your own." Relena paused for a moment, her eyes unfocused as she obviously became lost in her own thoughts.
 
"Relena?" Treize called quietly.
 
"Oh. Sorry, I was just thinking.""Really?" Treize was curious.
 
"Yes, but I can come back to that in a minute. As far as the mares go, I wouldn't agist them on the property whilst being served, too many risks involved. I'd have the mare owners bring their mares over every second day to be served until the mare goes out of season. It's much easier that way, you haven't got unknown horses on the property and it saves a lot of extra work for you."That sounded like a good idea to Heero. His hands were already full with caring for Scythe, Shini and Zero, he really didn't need any more horses to care for.
 
"As far as any guarantees go, most studs offer a live foal guarantee. What that means is the mare owner pays you a deposit on the stud fee, once the mare has been served and confirmed in foal the balance of the fee is paid. Then, if the mare should lose the foal during the pregnancy, the owner can bring her back next season for a free service to the stallion. There are clauses, of course, to protect both you and the mare owner. For the mare owner to claim a free service after losing a foal they would have to prove the mare lost the foal through natural means and that requires a vet certificate to that effect and an autopsy report on the slipped foal."
 
"Ah. I see." Heero was starting to give Relena a little more respect, he'd no idea so much could be involved in the simple breeding of a foal.
 
"You know what might be easier?" Relena asked.
 
"No, what?"
 
"How about I give you a couple of the standard contracts I use when allowing one of my stallions to cover outside mares? You can then go over it at your leisure, discuss it with Doctor Maxwell and Treize, you can even take it to your own lawyers if you wish. You're more than welcome to use it as a guideline and maybe draft up one of your own for use. It certainly helps a lot if there should be any problems down the track."
 
That sounded like an excellent idea to Heero. "You wouldn't mind?"
 
"Of course not," Relena smiled. "Hang on a sec and I'll get you one." Relena got up and walked over to an impressive looking filing cabinet where she rummaged around for a moment and then returned with several sheets of paper in her hand. "Here, take those and have a good look at them, see what you think and make any changes to suit your own personal needs." Relena handed over the documents and Heero took them, scanning quickly over the pages.
 
"Thank you," he replied and absently handed some of the papers to Treize to take a look at.
 
Treize took the offered papers and scanned them quickly, even he could tell from that brief look that they were very official and bound to be watertight.
 
Heero?”
 
“Hai?” Heero looked up from his perusal of the papers when Relena called his name.
 
“This is just a thought and I'd like to see what you think. There's no obligation whatsoever on you, but I would appreciate it if you would at least do me the favor of thinking about it.”
 
Heero gave Treize a questioning look.
 
Treize shrugged his shoulders, he had no idea what Relena was up to.
 
“Please, just hear me out, okay?”
 
“Okay.” Heero sat back and waited.
 
“I take it you've seen the latest bunch of horses Treize has in his stable ready to be broken in and educated?”
 
“Aa.”
 
“Actually, Relena,” Treize interrupted, “I haven't had a chance to show Heero all the newest additions yet. He's only seen the filly so far.”
 
“Ah.” Relena turned her attention back to Heero. “If I may be so bold; what did you think of her?”
 
“Not bad,” Heero replied honestly. “She has a sound conformation on her and that all points to her being a successful jumper.”
 
Relena smiled. “I have another filly in the stables closely related to her. She's also by Peacemillion out of Feather's full sister, Quills.”
 
Heero's curiosity was piqued.
 
“Would you like to take a look at her?”
 
“Hai, I would,” Heero replied, his mind having completely forgotten that Relena had something she wished to discuss with him.
 
“Come on then, I'll take you both out to meet her.” Relena stood up and led the way out of the house and to the stables.
 
Walking along the path that connected the manor to the stables, Heero tried to see if Treize knew anything about this other filly. It was obvious from the man's surprise he was as clueless as Heero.
 
Stepping into the stable area, Walker came to meet them.
 
“Mr Kushrenada, Heero,” Walker greeted. “It's good to see you again.”
 
“You too, Walker,” Treize replied. Heero echoed the sentiment.
 
“Walker, could you please fetch the filly from stable 12? I'd like to get Treize's and Heero's opinion of her,” Relena asked the groom.
 
“Of course, Miss Relena.” There was a twinkle in the groom's eye as he went to fetch the filly.
 
“Well? What do you think?” Relena asked as Walker brought the filly out and stood her up before the admiring three.
 
“Stunning,” was Treize's reply.
 
“Aa.” Heero couldn't find his voice for a moment. His experienced eye ran over the filly, noting the sloping shoulder, generous rib cage, length of rein and the strong, compact hind quarters. She had a pretty head on her too. Heero couldn't help himself, he walked over to her and offered his palm for the filly to sniff. She did so politely, her muzzle, the color of a baby pink mushroom and just as soft, whispered over his hand.
 
“Her name is Angel Wings,” Relena said softly.
 
Heero gently petted the filly, her liquid brown eyes gazed trustingly back at him. She was a gray, lightly dappled in such a way that the dappling looked like a pair of wings spreading from her shoulders, across her flanks and to her rump.
 
“What are you planning to do with her?” Treize asked. The filly was certainly striking, well conformed and with a kind nature.
 
“I was thinking of keeping her to breed with, but I already have quite a few brood mares so I had thought about selling her, but only if I could find a really good home for her,” Relena replied as she watched Heero petting the filly.
 
“You're not going to break her in and give her a chance at the circuit?” Treize stated.
 
Relena shook her head. “No. I think she's more valuable as a brood mare. She's got good breeding on both sides, although breaking her in isn't a bad idea.” Relena turned her attention back to Heero who had been listening in with half an ear. “Heero?”
 
Heero turned back to face the woman.
 
“How do you think she would go being crossed with Zero? Do you think she would throw a good foal?”
 
Remembering that Relena hadn't really seen all that much of Zero, Heero answered honestly. “I think the cross would go extremely well.” He felt his heart plummet a little. Angel Wings was the type of mare he'd hoped to find for himself to own and breed with Zero. She had everything he wanted in a brood mare. Given what Relena was saying it would appear she was thinking along the same lines, only she would be breeding for herself. The words Relena came out with next rocked him to the core.
 
“If you wish to purchase her, Heero, she's yours.”
 
“But...” Heero would love nothing more than to buy the filly, but she would cost a pretty penny and money was something he didn't have a lot of right now, hence his plan to stand Zero at stud.
 
“Look, I have been thinking about selling her and I think you would be the ideal owner for her. I know she would be looked after.”
 
“I'd love to have her, Relena, but I can't afford her.”
 
“You don't even know how much she is.”
 
No, Heero didn't. But he could guess.
 
“Heero, listen to me. This is what I was going to propose earlier but I wanted you to see her first. If you wish to purchase her the price to you is six thousand.”
 
Heero's jaw hit the floor. Even he wasn't dumb enough not to know that the filly was worth at least ten thousand. “But...”
 
“I know she's worth more than that, however, I'm willing to sell her to you for the six and a free service to Zero for one of my other mares. I do understand it's hard to put your hands on that sort of cash so I propose that if you want her I can have a legal contract drawn up whereby you can pay her off in installments as you get the funds come in from standing Zero at stud.”
 
“Why?” Heero couldn't figure out for the life of him why Relena would do something like this for him.
 
Relena lowered her eyes. “I guess you could say it's my way of trying to make things up to you.” She didn't say any more, there wasn't any need, both knew what Relena was referring to.
 
Heero knew Relena had already paid her dues, Duo's bank account and the resulting ownership of the deeds to the house, land and practice were testimony to that.
 
As if she knew what Heero was thinking, Relena spoke again. “I have apologized and paid my dues to Doctor Maxwell. I haven't had the chance to do the same for you,” she said quietly.
 
“Relena, there's really no need for you to do this.”
 
“I know, but I want to, it would make me feel a little better. Please, you don't have to answer now, the filly isn't going anywhere. I'd like you to at least think about it, discuss it with Treize and D-Duo. You can call me in a couple of days and let me know your decision.”
 
Heero's mind was whirling, so much to think about. “Okay. I'll give the offer some serious thought and let you know. Thank you.”
 
The filly was returned to her stable and Treize made their excuses to leave. There were horses still to be worked and Treize knew that Heero had a lot to think about. They drove back to the Kushrenada stable in silence, each locked in their own thoughts.
 
Treize couldn't help but feel Relena was genuine in her offer and it warmed him to see the woman had accepted Heero for who he was.
 
Heero was wondering just what the heck Duo would have to say about all this!
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...