Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 24 ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 24
 
The opening ceremony held its audience captive, delighting and amazing with colorful displays, dancers, music and of course, the traditional Chinese dragons. It was a feast for the eyes and ears, one that all three men in Duo's lounge room thoroughly enjoyed. When the many countries participating in the games began to enter the arena behind their respective flags, eyes were riveted to the screen.
 
When the Australian team were announced, the roar of the crowd was nothing compared to the shouts from the small lounge room. The three men all felt their respective hearts swell with pride watching the green and gold of the Australian uniforms march behind the flag bearing the small Union Jack in the corner and larger Southern Cross. It was an intense, emotional moment for all.
 
Once the ceremony concluded they all had some comment to make, whether it be on the teams or the many different aspects to the entire opening performance, arguing over various points and agreeing to disagree in friendly terms. Heero still insisted that the best opening sequence he'd ever seen was the one at the Sydney games when they'd started with the lone stockman on his horse backed by the musical score from 'The Man from Snowy River'.
 
Duo had teased his lover on that one, insisting that Heero had only rated it number one because of the equine. Heero had huffed and responded by announcing that the music was what had done it. Something about that soundtrack really got the blood running, heart pounding and brought a lump to the throat. Zechs had commented that the large dolls used in the Athens games had been a highlight for him, and so the discussion had continued until Zechs' cell phone went off.
 
“Merquise.”
 
“Zechs?”
 
“Treize?! I wasn't expecting you to call.”
 
“I can hang up if you like?” Treize chuckled down the line.
 
“No! I didn't mean it like that.”
 
“I know, I'm just teasing you. How are you?”
 
“Fine, I'm fine. What about you? Did you watch the Opening ceremony?”
 
“I'm well and yes, I did watch the opening ceremony. It was good, wasn't it?”
 
“Yes, it was.”
 
Duo motioned for Heero to follow him and the pair left the lounge room to give Zechs a little privacy to talk with his lover. They met in the kitchen where Duo filled the sink and set about washing their dinner dishes. Heero picked up the tea towel and began to dry the clean dishes and put them away. They continued their small talk whilst doing the chores and once finished, Duo made a hot chocolate for them all. He'd just finished dropping marshmallows in them when Zechs joined them in the kitchen.
 
“How is Treize?” Heero asked as he carried the mugs of chocolate over to the kitchen table, placing one in front of Zechs and motioning for him to sit down.
 
“He's doing fine,” Zechs replied as he took the offered mug. “Thank you. Treize said to say hello and to let you both know, and I quote; 'Thanks for keeping Zechs company while I'm away.' I think he thinks I'm going to pine away from loneliness.” Zechs rolled his eyes.
 
“Either that or he's worried you might forget about him and shack up with someone else,” Duo teased.
 
“I would never!” Zechs spluttered.
 
“Duo!” Heero gave his tormenting lover a light smack upside the head.
 
“Just joking,” Duo grinned.
 
“I don't know how Heero puts up with you,” Zechs returned, determined to try and get a bit of revenge.
 
“Oh, it might have something to do with this gorgeous, sexy body, or maybe the sharp wit,” Duo quipped.
 
“Actually, I think it's his cooking,” Heero deadpanned.
 
Two pairs of eyes blinked at him.
 
Heero just shrugged.
 
* * *
 
Over the next few days, Heero diligently watched over Zero, checking the stallion's leg morning and night, checking to see that Zero didn't try to put any unnecessary strain on his still recovering foreleg. Zero seemed pretty content just to laze around, wandering about the yard and resting from time to time. Duo was confident after three days that Zero could go back out in the paddock and it was with some trepidation that Heero led the big gray out to his usual paddock and let him go.
 
Heero's fears were unfounded though. Zero simply ambled off and began to graze, the grass in his paddock having grown considerably during the gray's absence. From time to time Zero would raise his head and send a whicker to the two mares sharing the paddock just across from him or exchange neighs with Shinigami. Feeling a lot more reassured, Heero left the stallion to graze.
 
Each evening they would curl up on the couch together and watch the highlights of the day's competition at the games. Treize wasn't due to compete until the end of the week and Heero had scoped out the television guide, highlighting when the showjumping was due to be shown. He'd even splurged and bought some blank DVDs to record all the action.
 
They had managed to organize their respective schedules so they would be able to watch the jumping once it was shown and even coaxed Zechs into joining them for the telecasts. Not that Zechs had needed much persuasion. It was far better to watch the competition with friends than alone. Duo felt the same way and had added that with having Heero, their own resident 'jumping encyclopedia', they would get a much better commentary than the one the official commentators were bound to give - not to take anything away from the proper commentators, they did a wonderful job, but Heero would be a much better bet on explaining the intricacies of the competition itself.
 
By the time the end of the week arrived, Heero was almost jumping out of his skin with anticipation. It was Sunday evening and the delayed telecast of the first round of the show jumping competition was due to be shown. The television guide had stated that the jumping would be shown at eight that evening, Zechs was due to arrive at seven-thirty. The surgery was closed on Sundays, Duo felt he needed to draw the line somewhere and shut up shop for one day a week so Hilde, Catherine and himself could have at least one day off a week. The roster was usually done so they did manage to get two days off, but it made it much easier to have those two days by closing the surgery on Sundays. Technically speaking they were never closed, always responding to an emergency. Sunday had been relegated to an 'emergency only' day with both Hilde and Duo taking it in turns to be 'on call' each second Sunday.
 
It was with high hopes that the three men sat down to watch the first round of the jumping.
 
* * *
 
The week leading up to competition had been a hectic one in some ways for the Australian team. The horses were worked daily, checked over thoroughly and any sign of discomfort was immediately reported to Noin who would check out the concern and call in the team vet if necessary. So far all four horses had remained injury free and were as fit as their riders could get them.
 
Noin had spent the promised time with them all, working closely with them as a team and individuals. She was pleased with the results and quietly confident that the team would hold their own against the many other nations competing. She had managed to secure some video footage of some of the opposing team members and they had all spent an evening studying their oppositions' jumping techniques, noting which horses liked soft going, those that had a particular dislike for a certain type of jump, how the other riders handled jump off courses and so on.
 
They had learned a lot about their fellow competitors and had no doubts that those same competitors were also learning about them too. The rules of competition were very similar to those of the Nations Cup, but Noin briefed them all again just to be certain they were all clear on each point and answer any questions that may arise.
 
Each team would jump in the first round, each rider of each team going in a pre-nominated order, the same as the Nations Cup. All the number ones would jump first, followed by the number twos, threes and then fours. At the conclusion of the first round the teams would then be able to discard the worst score and add the three remaining scores to give an overall first round team score. Once all the teams' scores were tallied, the top twelve teams would go through to the second round. The procedure for the second round would be the same as the first, with the team members jumping in reverse order and again being able to discard the worst score. The remaining three scores would be added together and combined with the first round scores to give a final, overall score.
 
In the event of a team tying for a place, a jump off against the clock would be held. The team manager would be responsible for nominating the team member to complete the jump off. Besides this being a team event, it was also an individual competition too. Each individual rider's score would be kept and added together over the two, respective rounds to give a final, individual score for that rider. Once again in the event of a tie for placings, those team members would compete in a jump off, however, the individual jump off, if required, would be held on the following day so as not to put undue stress or strain on the horses.
 
Two days before the competition was due to start, Noin had to attend the jumping draw. All nations entered were placed in a hat and one by one, a country was drawn out, deciding the order in which they would jump. Out of the twenty countries that had entered teams, Noin was pleased when the Australian team drew thirteenth spot. Just a little over half way wasn't bad by any means and in this case it was good as the countries that Noin predicted would be the hardest to beat, were all jumping ahead of them bar one - the British team.
 
The rest of the Aussies had been quite pleased with the draw. Having their main rivals jump ahead of them would give them the opportunity to see exactly how the course rode and what the scores to beat were. Based on the information they had, Noin predicted that the German, Italian, British, American, New Zealand and Japanese teams would be the ones to beat. The rest of the team agreed. The German team would especially be hard to beat, two of their riders had been in the Nations Cup and Treize was more than familiar with their skills. The Italian team was a completely new one to them all as was the American team. The British team was known to both Michael and Phillip who had spent some time on the European circuit and had crossed paths with some of the members before.
 
The day before the first round of competition was due to begin. Noin called them all for a meeting to hand out their saddle blankets and inform them of their jumping order. “The order in which you are riding in no way reflects that one is better than another,” Noin began. “I have no idea what order the other teams have their members jumping in, but you should all be experienced enough by now to know that whether you jump first or fourth in the team it will make no difference over the course. The course designer is a Mr Peter Falk from Switzerland. I believe that you, Phillip, have jumped one of his courses in the past?”
 
“Yes, I have.”
 
“How did you find it?”
 
“Tough,” Phillip grinned.
 
“Falk has a reputation for designing courses that do have a bit of space between jumps, but offer the rider opportunities to take slightly shorter lines and tracks. Those offers come with risks though. I have no doubts that he will design a demanding course for this competition.” Noin took a good look at her assembled team. “The order in which you will jump is as follows: Michael, you and Crackerjack will jump first. Treize, you and Tall Geese will jump second. Zoe and Periwinkle will be third and Phillip, you and Geronimo are fourth. Now, does anyone have any questions?”
 
No one did.
 
“Right. I suggest you all try to get a good night's sleep. I expect you all to give your horses a very light workout tomorrow morning. We will meet in the stable area tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock. The course plan will be posted at two-thirty and open for walking at three. Competition starts at three-thirty sharp.”
 
With nothing left to say or do, the team members left and returned to their respective quarters.
 
* * *
 
“It's starting, Heero!” Duo yelled from his spot on the couch and turned the volume up a touch on the television.
 
Heero walked as fast as he dared with the tray carrying the mugs of coffee. He quickly set it down on the coffee table and left the other two to help themselves whilst he grabbed the remote control for the DVD recorder. He checked that there was a blank disc installed and grabbing his own coffee, sat on the couch next to Duo.
 
The television screen showed the current anchor man for the station that was covering the games, he was running through the day's competition, giving out the results for the various events and heats that had taken place that day. Once he'd finished with the current medal tally for all participating countries, he finally announced that they would be crossing to Hong Kong for the first round of the showjumping competition that had been held earlier that day.
 
“About time,” Duo muttered.
 
Heero turned to Zechs. “Has Treize called you today?”
 
“Not yet he hasn't. I was wondering if he would seeing as how this is a delayed telecast, or if he would wait until later and call me once he knows we will have watched the event on the television.”
 
“Knowing Treize, he'll wait. Guess he just likes to build the suspense,” Heero grumbled.
 
Zechs laughed. “He always does like to err on the side of the dramatic.”
 
“You got that right. Although, I dare say they won't be showing all the teams, just the major ones and the Aussies of course.” Heero grabbed the television guide to see if there was any mention of how many teams they would telecast. There wasn't.
 
“Well, no time for cussing out Treize now, it's about to start,” Duo interrupted.
 
The scene on the television switched to show an arena with the commentators' voices in the background. There was the usual spiel about the various countries that would be competing and the commentators' personal opinions on which would be the teams to watch and who would be the hardest to beat. It seemed to be a unanimous decision that the German team was the one everyone was backing to take out the gold medal. The silver seemed to be a divided opinion, some ranking the American team as the one to take it whilst others thought the British and Italian teams were a sure thing. All seemed to consider the Australian team an outside shot at filling a medal placing.
 
Heero snorted. “I don't agree,” he said strongly.
 
“Oh?” Zechs asked as he and Duo turned a questioning pair of eyes in Heero's direction.
 
“The other teams are good, yes, but that doesn't mean you should underestimate the opposition. Granted you need a good horse and a lot of skill to compete at this level; however, a lot also depends on the course itself; and then there's lady luck too.”
 
“Luck?” Duo questioned.
 
“Yes, luck. No matter how skilled a rider you are, no matter how good the horse you ride, there is still a large part played by luck. I've seen horses barely touch a pole and the thing has come crashing down. Then I've seen other horses give a pole a damn hard whack and the thing hasn't budged! Add to that you're dealing with a living, breathing creature that can be and generally is unpredictable, not to mention that horses have off days too. Luck definitely plays a large part in jumping.”
 
“Well, I must say that makes me feel a whole lot better,” Zechs muttered.
 
Their conversation was interrupted as the commentators announced the order of jumping.
 
“That's good,” Heero said after the order was finished. “The Aussies have most of their main rivals ahead of them. There's only the British team to jump after them. They will get a good chance to see how the course rides, what risks can be taken and what scores there are to beat.”
 
“Sheesh! I didn't know there was so much technicality involved,” Zechs sighed.
 
“Don't worry, Heero will keep it all in simple terms,” Duo said as he patted Zechs' arm in reassurance.
 
“Why couldn't I have found a boyfriend that was into boot scooting or something equally simple?” Zechs muttered.
 
“Now where's the fun in that?” laughed Duo.
 
“Shh, it's about to start,” Heero said as he pushed record on the remote. “They're not showing all the riders and teams, just the highlights mostly. Looks like the Italian rider first.”
 
Silence descended as the three men became absorbed in the action on screen.
 
* * *
 
Goose had gone well that morning and Treize was quietly confident that the big bay would jump as good as ever that afternoon. Joe had spent extra time brushing and preparing the stallion for the competition, he didn't want any charge of his going out into the arena, under the eye of so many people not turned out properly. He brushed the fine coat until he could almost see his reflection in it, Goose's mane and tail were like spun silk. Even Duck got an extra grooming.
 
Noin met with them all and they went to the main arena to check the course plan. There were several copies posted in all languages to give everyone an equal opportunity to study the course before walking it. The Australians all stood in silence as their eyes roved the course map.
 
Treize let out a soft whistle. “They're not planning on taking any prisoners,” he said quietly.
 
“You can say that again,” Phillip replied.
 
“Guess we will have to wait until we walk it to see exactly how difficult it is,” Zoe stated as she looked again at the course map.
 
“Looking at that, I'm also guessing that the jumps will be pretty much close to maximum height too, which will make it even harder,” Michael mused.
 
Noin snorted. "Listen to you all. Anyone would think you've never jumped a tough course in your life!" she scolded. "There's nothing wrong with this course. Yes, it looks tough, but that's what you would expect for competition of this level. Remember, this is the elite of the jumping world, the pinnacle of competition. To succeed here means you are the best in the world. Now, you've all jumped courses this difficult before, so, why are you all moaning like you're making your debut in a kindergarten class. Honestly, this is the sort of attitude I'd expect from beginners, not well seasoned, cream of the crop, Australian riders."
 
Noin's words had the desired effect. All the team members looked a little sheepish at their defeatist attitude.
 
"We can do this," muttered Phillip.
 
"I've jumped courses just as hard, why should this be any different?" Zoe added.
 
"I intend to give it everything I've got," Michael added, pulling himself up and squaring his shoulders.
 
"Ah to hell with it all. We're just as good as all the other riders and horses here; in fact, we're better - we're Aussies!" Treize stated firmly.
 
"Hear, hear!" the others all joined in.
 
"Now that's what I like to hear." Noin smiled at them all. "Right, back to the stables, get all the gear you intend to have when competing; that's whip, spurs and helmets and let's go walk this course!"
 
"Right with you, coach," the team chorused and they left to gather their respective items in readiness to walk the course.
 
* * *
 
As predicted, the course was set mainly at maximum height and width. It appeared better in the 'flesh' than it had on paper, something that eased the fears a little. Noin walked the course with them and Treize was pleased to note that all the other international competitors were having similar reactions to the course as they were.
 
"It's not a really difficult course, just testing of your skills and horse's education," Noin said as they paused to look back over the many colorful jumps set up. "There's the opportunity to save a second or two on the turn from jump two to three, likewise from jump eight to nine. The triple, jump ten, will be the jump to watch though. By the time you get to it, your horses will be running out of impulsion if you haven't made a balanced turn from eight to nine. Also you will need to watch your approach from nine to the triple as the triple is slightly off set from nine. To come in straight you will need to swing out towards the right immediately you land over nine. Or, you can angle jump nine which will save you time in getting your horse set up for the triple. You know your horses best so I'll leave that decision up to you. Does anyone have any questions?"
 
Four heads shook in the negative.
 
"Good. Let's walk this course again then and see exactly what line and track you're going to follow."
 
* * *
 
Whilst waiting for the Italian rider to enter the arena, the commentators on the screen began a quick explanation of the show jumping course accompanied by a plan of the course so the viewer could watch and follow what they were talking about. Heero gave a low whistle as he traced the course with an experienced eye.
 
"I don't think I like the sound of that," Zechs muttered, referring to Heero's low whistle.
 
"Actually, it's a good course from what I can tell," Heero began. "There's room to shave a few seconds off by cutting inside jumps, especially when going from two to three and eight to nine, although they will have to be careful there."
 
"Why?" Duo asked, genuinely curious.
 
"Eight is the water jump and thus you will need to have your horse moving really fast to clear it, then you have to bring the horse back to a slower gait really quickly to re-balance if you want to have any hope of cutting on the inside of jumps three and twelve to save time and clear jump nine. Then there's the triple, jump ten straight after nine, that's going to be tricky."
 
"What would you do, Heero?" Duo asked.
 
"I think I'd have pushed Zero pretty fast to clear the water, then sit down hard to collect him up and make the inside turn. I'd try to angle jump nine which would give me a better chance of straightening up and getting the impulsion back in readiness for jump ten," Heero replied, stroking his chin in thought.
 
“Should be interesting to see what the competitors do then,” Duo said softly. The vet had a great respect for Heero's opinion when it came to courses and saving time, he'd seen his lover in action often enough to know that Heero knew all the tricks.
 
“Knowing how Treize rides, I'd say he will possibly do the same,” Heero added.
 
“As long as both he and the horse remain safe, I'll be happy,” Zechs mumbled to no one but himself.
 
“Ah, here we go, first rider they're showing is from the Italian team.” Heero focused completely on the screen, commenting only when necessary and giving enough information and in simple terms that the other two could follow with ease.
 
* * *
 
With several riders to go before Michael, the Australian team sat in their allocated seats inside the huge arena, eager to see what the other riders would do and how the course rode. The first competitor was from Sweden riding a large, brown mare. The judge was saluted, the bell went and the rider was on his way. The course lived up to its 'tough' status, the Swede not having his horse balanced enough after jump eight to clear nine and get back on track for the triple. Poles were dislodged and the rider completed the course with a total of sixteen penalties.
 
It was a similar picture for other riders, the sneakiness of the course designer becoming evident as rider after rider attempted the shorter route from jumps eight to nine. Some managed to clear the water and have their horses slowed enough to clear jump nine, but then they lacked impulsion coming into the triple and invariably poles fell.
 
The American team's first rider put up a good show, leaving the arena with just four penalties and they were from one of the easier jumps.
 
Michael left to finish warming up Crackerjack as the first of the German riders came into the ring. It was plain to see why the Germans were the favorites to take out the gold. The course was ridden with precision, the rider maintaining contact continuously with his horse and the horse listening to every aid the rider gave. They came out of the arena to thunderous applause and the first clear round.
 
The Japanese also did well, their first rider only having a foot in the water and thus four penalties. Treize watched very carefully, noting exactly how the other riders approached the course, especially the Germans. He made a few mental notes, adjusting his original plans accordingly. He would speak with Michael afterwards and gain further insight into how best to ride the course once Michael returned, for now though all he could do was watch and wait.
 
The first rider for the Italian team entered the arena and Treize recognized him as one of the members from the Nations cup team.
 
* * *
 
The Italian rider saluted and then made his way towards the start flags. The bell rang and he collected his horse up, setting a steady pace and aiming for the first fence.
 
“He's pretty smart,” Heero said as he watched the Italian cut the corner from jump two to three. “See how he's turned fairly sharply from one jump to the next? That means he's saved a bit of time. If he's going to repeat that move between eight and nine though, he will need to have a bit more collection on his horse.”
 
Duo and Zechs listened to Heero's comments, absorbing what he was saying and applying it to the visual. With the simple enough explanations it was easy to spot what Heero was talking about. When the Italian turned to face the water, he let his horse gallop on. The chestnut cleared the water okay but it was painfully obvious that the animal didn't want to listen to his rider and come back to hand.
 
“He's going to mess it up if he's not careful,” Heero said. “He'll have to go wide if he wants any chance of clearing nine.”
 
Sure enough, the Italian realized he wasn't going to get his horse back in hand enough to take the shorter track and be successful in clearing jump nine so he did the wisest thing and went the longer route, around the outside of jump twelve. His horse was more under control by the time they got to jump nine and they managed to clear it; however, the horse had expended too much energy and didn't have enough to successfully navigate the triple. Poles fell from all three obstacles and that seemed to unnerve the horse. They finished the course, but with a score of twenty penalties.
 
The telecast showed the first of the German team go clear then skipped a couple of competitors before screening the first riders for the American, Japanese, French and New Zealand teams. It was proving to be a close competition and Duo found himself once more biting his fingernails, something that seemed to amuse him to no end considering that he usually only did it when Heero was riding.
 
Heero had a pencil and paper on hand and was busy keeping track of the scores so far. Currently he had clear from the German team, four penalties for the American and Japanese teams, Twenty for the Italian team, eight for New Zealand and twelve for France.
 
“And now for the first of the Australian team to ride. Michael Rundell on Crackerjack,” the commentator announced.
 
All eyes focused solely on the television.
 
“Is he any good?” Zechs asked, eyes never wavering from the television.
 
“I don't really know much about him,” Heero replied. “He's been in Europe competing on the circuit there. He'd have to be good to have been selected though.”
 
“Well, whether you know much about him or not, he's about to jump so I suggest we all start hoping he's got what it takes,” muttered Duo.
 
Silence fell as the electronic timer beam was broken and Michael began the course.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
 
To take a look at the show jumping course that the teams will be competing over in these 'Olympic' games visit here:
http://www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com/gw/Olympic%2008%20course. htm