Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 25 ( Chapter 25 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 25
 
"Steady, sunshine," Michael soothed his horse that was impatient and pulling hard. "This one is a big one and we don't want to waste any energy." Crackerjack cocked an ear back and settled a little.
 
In the stands the rest of the Australian team sat perched on the edge of their seats, eyes glued to Michael and Crackerjack as the pair negotiated the tough course. Having watched several riders already compete the course, they all had a better idea now of how it was riding and just what sort of measures they would need to put into place regarding their own horses, riding and tactics to ensure the best possible outcome.
 
Crackerjack cleared the first two fences and Michael had him perfectly balanced for the turn to jump three. They sailed over that and continued their way, clearing jumps four and five in the same style. Jump six, the double, didn't cause any problems and Treize felt himself relax just a touch. Fence seven was cleared, Michael making a smooth right hand turn and urging Crackerjack on to the water jump.
 
The big chestnut gave a small buck as he flattened out on his approach to the water, standing well back and launching over the man made 'pond' to land cleanly on the other side. Michael had his hands full trying to bring the horse back to a slower gait, Crackerjack had tasted the adrenaline and was eager to stretch his legs a little more. He managed to regain control and the chestnut slowed, gathering himself together and jumping fence nine. It wasn't the cleanest of jumps and Crackerjack had to twist his hind quarters in mid air to avoid bringing down the top rail, but they managed it.
 
"Shit! That was close," Zoe muttered.
 
"That turn is going to be a bit harder to ride than we first thought," Treize said with a frown as he studied his mental map of the course.
 
"It's a very tricky and cunning piece of course designing," Noin commented. "As I said before, Falk designs his courses to really test the skills of the rider and the education of the horse. This is the perfect example of that."
 
"You can say that again," Zoe sighed.
 
"If you all remember to keep the contact with your horses on both the approach and jump over the water, then sit down hard to collect them up, there's no reason why you shouldn't go on to clear nine and the triple."
 
"We can but try," Treize muttered under his breath.
 
"And praying might help a bit," Zoe giggled.
 
"Ah, crap," Phillip stated as the sound of bouncing poles was heard. Treize and Zoe immediately focused back on the ring and Michael.
 
* * *
 
"He's not too bad at all from what I can tell," Duo said as he watched the first of the Australian riders begin the course.
 
"He's very good,” Heero replied absently. "Oh, nice turn.""What do you mean, nice turn?" Zechs questioned.
 
“He's got his horse listening and responding well to the aids he's giving, thus the horse is balanced and has enough impulsion to shorten stride and make a smooth turn inside jump eight. That brings him nicely in line to jump fence three and they saved a little time too,” Heero replied.
 
“Ah. Thanks.”
 
“Told you it would be better watching with Heero's commentary than the official commentators,” Duo stated smugly. “At least you can have your questions answered immediately.”
 
“I do have to agree there,” Zechs said as his eyes returned to the screen.
 
“Now for the tricky bit, getting your horse to listen and come back to hand after that water jump,” Heero muttered.
 
Zechs cocked his head to the side in a classic 'please explain' pose.
 
“To clear the water jump, you need to have speed. It's not like jumping an upright fence where you need the energy concentrated in the hind end to get the height needed. This is a spread and thus the speed is required to push forward and flat. With a horse traveling fast to clear the water, they don't like to slow down afterwards. If the rider is to clear the following jumps successfully, he needs to have the horse slowing and building the impulsion back into the hind quarters. Does that make sense?” Heero asked.
 
“Yes, it does. Thanks and sorry to be a bit dense when it comes to all this,” Zechs replied.
 
“No apology needed,” Heero said as he continued to watch the rider. “Ah, crap, he's going to need to have a bit more control... Sit in to him, drive him together or you're never going to... Shit.”
 
The three men watched as the chestnut twisted his hind end over jump nine and then proceeded towards jump ten - the triple. It was clear to Heero that the chestnut didn't have enough impulsion; to Zechs everything looked fine; to Duo there seemed to be a lack of balance with the horse.
 
Sure enough, the pair cleared part A but began to run out of steam for the remaining two obstacles. The top rails of both ten B and C went crashing to the ground.
 
“Damn! Eight faults,” Heero growled.
 
* * *
 
Michael could feel the energy draining from his horse and knew they weren't going to clear all three parts to the triple. Crackerjack gamely gave it his best shot but the top poles still fell. Sitting down deep into his saddle, Michael managed to collect his horse and drive those hind quarters back underneath the animal, effectively regaining impulsion. Jump eleven was cleared and Michael applied a little more inside leg to get the chestnut to move slightly to the right and pass by the water jump, bringing them on line for jump twelve - the 'closed' triple.
 
Crackerjack was getting tired, the big fences had taken a lot out of him but he gamely went on. He eyed up the triple, picked his take off point and launched into the air, belly and legs barely scraping over the top rail. The pole wobbled in its supporting cups but didn't fall. Now all that remained between them and the finish was jump thirteen - the wall.
 
With a soft grunt, Crackerjack gathered himself together and gave one last effort. He pushed off, reaching for the height of the wall and managing to clear it. Hooves bit into the sawdust of the arena as Michael's legs drove the horse forward and through the finish. The timer stopped and a cheer went up from the crowd.
 
“Eight penalties for Michael Rundell and Crackerjack from Australia,” the commentator announced.
 
In the stands Noin and the rest of the team members were cheering and clapping just as loudly as everyone else.
 
"Come on, we need to get outside to congratulate and see how Michael and his horse are and get the run down on the course," Noin said as she rose from her seat. The rest of the team followed, eager to gain any information they could that would help them in their own endeavor to clear the course.
 
Michael dismounted as soon as he could and began to make a fuss of his horse. Frank, Michael's groom appeared with the horse's rug and immediately began to look after his charge. Moments later Noin and the rest of the team arrived to offer their congratulations.
 
Once the excitement had died down a little, Michael was able to tell them what he could about the course and the way it rode. "The turn from two to three isn't too bad at all, it's the one from eight to nine that's going to be the big problem. You really need to have the speed going to clear the water jump, but then it's really hard to get your horse back in hand for jump nine. There's not a lot of room to do it and whilst you might be lucky enough to make the short turn and get over jump nine, you really need a hell of a lot of impulsion for that triple."
 
Treize made sure he took notice of Michael's words, adding them to the information he had stored in his mind from their walking of the course earlier. He knew it would be difficult to get Goose re-balanced and the impulsion back after the assault on the water jump, but he had to try and hope that Goose would listen and respond fast enough.
 
Noin had her own ideas on how they should tackle the series of jumps and it was very similar to what Treize was thinking. With the water jump being at its full width of 4.2 meters, you really needed to push on in order to clear it. The following jump nine, the rustic rails, was set at 1.5 meters and then the triple following that. Each element of the triple was formidable looking, part A stood at 1.4 meters, Part B: 1.5meters with a 1.5 meter spread and part C: 1.6 meters and a full 2 meter spread. It was no wonder the horses were running out of steam by the time they got to part B of the triple.
 
Having discussed tactics a little more, Michael went back to the stables with Frank and Crackerjack to settle the horse, the rest of the team and Noin returned to the stadium to watch the rest of the competitors and see how the British rider fared.
 
* * *
 
"I take it eight faults isn't good?" Zechs asked with a raised eyebrow.
 
"Actually, eight faults is damn good over a course of this caliber," Heero replied. "It's a very difficult course in places and I don't think we will see too many clear rounds."
 
"So, we're not out of the running yet?"
 
"Far from it, Zechs. These are only the first riders to go. All teams have four riders compete and at the end of the first round the worst score is discarded leaving the remaining three scores to be added together to give a team score for the first round."
 
"How are we looking so far?" Duo asked.
 
Heero checked the paper he was noting the scores on. "It's early yet, but so far the Germans are leading with zero, then the American and Japanese teams with four faults each. The Aussies are tied with the New Zealand team on eight, then the French with twelve, Chinese with sixteen and the Italians with twenty. The rest are pretty much a mixed bag after that and the British team is still to jump."
 
"The British rider is coming in now," Zechs stated and again silence filled the room.
 
The British rider didn't go too badly, he didn't push on quite enough for the water and had a hoof land in it, however, he did manage to keep his horse balanced and full of impulsion going into jump nine and the following triple. He managed to clear those and it must have been a bit of a shock to him that he had as his riding deteriorated a touch and he sent the greenery flying at fence eleven. He finished the course with a total of twelve faults.
 
The coverage took a break for a moment and flipped to the last of the swimming events, Duo took advantage of the break to make a hot chocolate for them all. While they waited for the showjumping to continue they sipped their chocolate and discussed the course, Zechs asking questions and Heero doing his best to answer them in simple, easy to follow terms.
 
The coverage shifted again, this time to the weightlifting before finally returning to the jumping. The commentators came back on and brought the viewers up to date with the current scores and what had happened whilst the station had been showing other highlights.
 
During the break the last of the first riders had competed, but nothing major had happened to change any of the current placings. The second riders were now competing and the screen showed a rather spectacular fall from the second of the German riders.
 
"Oh shit!" Duo exclaimed as he watched the horse hit the top rails of jump nine and take them with him. One seemed to be caught between his forelegs and as the horse came back to earth the pole prevented him from landing properly. The horse pitched and went down on his knees, the rider sailing gracefully over the animal's right shoulder to hit the dirt. The horse was quick to regain his feet and stood for a second before giving a loud neigh and trotting off towards the exit. The rider was up on his own feet in a matter of seconds and looking around for his horse. The medics came running onto the arena to check all was okay and once they assured themselves that the rider was fine, they allowed him to leave.
 
"That's not good," Heero said softly.
 
"It didn't look good to me either," Zechs commented. "He hit that dirt pretty hard, I hope he's okay."
 
"The medics wouldn't have let him leave if he wasn't," Heero replied. "Besides the fact that the fall was a nasty one, it doesn't bode well for the German team. A fall means elimination."
 
"Ah."
 
"That means the rest of the team will need to go well and not be eliminated as the second rider's score will now be the one they discard."
 
"Could be interesting then," Zechs mused.
 
"I'd say the pressure is really on the German team now," Duo commented.
 
"Correct," Heero replied. "If another of the German team is eliminated then it means the entire team will be eliminated from the competition itself. There won't be a second round at all for them."
 
"This might sound awfully unsportsmanlike, but I can't help but hope the rest of their team makes mistakes. Nothing that would harm anyone, but... well..." Zechs trailed off.
 
"Don't worry, Zechs. We know what you mean," Duo said as he gave the other vet a warm smile. "You wouldn't be the first person to think like that either."
 
Zechs still looked a little uncomfortable but didn't say anything further. The commentators continued to give out the current scores, informing the viewers that the Italian rider had eight faults, the American twelve and the Japanese rider eight. The scene switched back to the arena just as the New Zealand rider was approaching the water jump.
 
Heero had to give the New Zealander's credit. They were similarly 'isolated' from the rest of the world as the Australian's were. Whereas the majority of the other countries competing were close enough together that they could compete regularly on the international circuit, the Aussies and Kiwis were not. It was a huge, financial burden to take a horse to Europe to compete and consequently many Aussie and Kiwi riders had to forgo that opportunity; it was just too expensive. Thus they had to do their best to keep up with the international standard whilst lacking the international competition.
 
It made Heero feel even prouder of the fact that both countries had not only been able to field a team to send, but to have both teams holding their own against their much more seasoned and experienced riders so well.
 
The Kiwi rider completed his course with a total of four faults and the commentary was again halted as the station took a quick look at other results from the day's competition. When they returned to the showjumping the commentator was announcing the second rider for the Australian team - Treize Kushrenada.
 
Heero's heart began to beat faster, Duo grabbed the end of his braid and began to chew; hair balls be dammed! Zechs went a little pale as the butterflies swarmed in his stomach. Each man sent his own silent prayer to whatever god was listening that Treize and Goose would do okay.
 
* * *
 
The arena had been raked over once the first riders had all gone through. Michael joined the team as Treize left to fetch Goose and begin his warm up Noin letting him know she would be out to speak with him before he went in to compete and let him know what the scores were.
 
Goose was dozing in his stable, resting a hind leg and looking completely at ease. Duck was in the next stable and pulling methodically at his haynet. Joe was sitting out the front keeping an eye on his 'charges' but rose to his feet when he spotted Treize approaching.
 
“Time to get ready, boss?” Joe asked.
 
“Yes, Joe. Time to get saddled and warm up Goose. They're starting on the second riders now.”
 
Joe fetched the gear for Goose and the pair of them got the big bay ready. Treize double checked Goose's jumping boots before fetching his helmet and whip. Joe put the halter on Duck and brought the mini pony out of his stable. With a final check over, the pair headed for the warm up area outside the main arena.
 
Showing their passes, Treize and Joe were admitted to the warm up area, Duck getting a few looks as Joe led him off to one side. The mini pony didn't seem to care about the attention he was getting, he was too busy checking out all the different sights and smells.
 
Treize checked his girth and picking up the reins, mounted the bay stallion. He settled softly into the saddle and found the other stirrup, sliding his foot into it. Collecting his reins, Treize nudged Goose and the stallion began to walk with a long, swinging stride.
 
The warm up area was filled with horses and riders all getting ready for their respective rounds, Treize picked a spot out for himself and began to work Goose. The stallion was a little fresh to start with, snatching at his bit and prancing from time to time. Treize sat his horse well, body shifting to accommodate the movement of the stallion whilst keeping a light contact with the reins and legs gently urging the horse forward. Goose began to relax and listen, softening through his back and lowering his head and neck, calmly accepting his rider and doing as he was asked.
 
Treize worked the horse around for a good half hour and then deemed the stallion ready to try a couple of the practice jumps. Joe followed to the area where the jumps had been set up, ready to raise or lower any that his boss asked him to. Duck trotted along sniffing at the air and keeping an eye on his companion.
 
Having put Goose over a few of the practice jumps, Treize was happy with the way the bay was going and decided to stop. He dismounted and ran his stirrups up, loosening the girth a touch while Joe tossed a light rug over the stallion and began to lead him around to keep the horse warm. Treize took a moment to step back into the arena stands and see how the scores were going. He knew he had roughly five more riders to go before he was needed. Noin met him on his way in - she was just on her way out to speak with him so the pair headed back down to the warm up area.
 
"It's really proving to be a trial between jumps eight, nine and ten. That's where most riders are making their mistakes and picking up faults. You know your horse best so I won't try to tell you how to ride him, but; be aware that once you're over the water you will need to get Goose shortening his stride and regain as much impulsion as you can, otherwise you won't clear nine or the triple," Noin advised.
 
"I'll do my best," Treize replied.
 
"Good luck, Treize." Noin gave the man a pat to the shoulder and turned to go back inside the stands to her seat.
 
Turning around, Treize pulled himself up to his full height, squared his shoulders and took a deep breath. With determination in his eye he walked back over to where Joe was still walking Goose around.
 
* * *
 
The steward motioned for Treize to come over. Treize turned Goose and walked calmly to where the steward waited with his clipboard in hand. "You Kushrenada? Second Australian team rider?"
 
"Yes, I am," Treize replied to the Chinese official.
 
"Okay. You next. Wait until this rider exit, then in you go. Good luck."
 
"Thank you." Treize turned Goose around again and began to walk in small circles just outside the main arena entry. Joe came over and gave the gear one last check before patting Goose.
 
"You'll do fine, boss," Joe said softly. "Good luck."
 
"Thanks, Joe."
 
"Duck and I'll be watching and waiting just outside the entry way."
 
"Kushrenada?" the steward called. "You in now."
 
// This is it, // Treize thought to himself and took another couple of deep breaths to calm himself. He could feel the tension in the air as he collected Goose up, the nerves were tingling and he swallowed in an attempt to ease his dry throat. Applause and cheering rang out as he rode into the arena to the commentator's announcement.
 
"The second rider for the Australian team; Treize Kushrenada on Tall Geese."
 
Nudging Goose lightly with his legs, he eased the stallion forward into a slow canter and towards the judges' box. He halted and dropped his hat in salute. Securing his helmet again, he picked up the reins and rode towards the start flags. Silence descended on the arena, the bell rang out and Treize forgot about everything but the course ahead of him and the horse beneath him.
 
The electronic timer beam broke and began the countdown as Goose passed between the start flags. Bay ears were cocked as Goose settled into a steady canter, Treize keeping a light contact with the stallion's mouth and shifting his weight forward in his saddle. Jump one, the fancy planks appeared before them and Goose sailed over them easily. They landed and Treize applied the leg whilst maintaining the contact with his reins to bring Goose back together again. The second jump, a simple spread, was cleared just as easily and gave Treize more confidence. Goose was jumping well, eager but not pulling, willing to listen to his rider and that gave Treize the boost he needed.
 
They made a good turn from two to three, shaving a couple of seconds from their time, the turn to four flowing well and soon they were on their way to jump five, the gate. Goose gathered himself together and pushed off, soaring into the air and over the gate. Instantly, Treize was sitting deeper into his saddle and pushing his horse together in readiness for the double.
 
"He's doing well so far," Zoe commented softly to Michael who was sitting beside her.
 
"I hope he can keep it up for the rest of the course," Michael muttered back.
 
"As long as he can keep Goose balanced and the impulsion there, he should do just fine," Noin whispered, her voice full of confidence. "He's a good rider and Goose is a damn fine horse."
 
* * *
 
"That's it, collect him up a little. Good, now hold on, steady... Yes, let him go now!" Heero said as he watched his boss and mentor on the screen as they came into the double.
 
Duo glanced across at his partner and had to stifle the snicker. He nudged Zechs and nodded in Heero's direction. Zechs dragged his eyes away from his lover on the television to take a glance at Heero. He almost fell off the chair trying to hold his laughter.
 
Completely oblivious to the other two, Heero was concentrating solely on the screen. Subconsciously, Heero's body was following the movement of the horse as it went about the course. Heero's upper body would tense a touch and lean forward, his hands clutching at invisible reins. To Duo and Zechs, it appeared that Heero was riding the course himself on a phantom horse!
 
"Don't go sticking your spurs into the chair, Heero. It just might buck you off," Duo snickered.
 
Heero looked at his lover for a moment, confusion clearly on his face. Then he went a deep shade of red as he realized what he'd been doing. "Um... Sorry?"
 
"No need to apologize, Heero. It's quite amusing to watch," Duo chuckled.
 
Heero growled softly and then noticed that Zechs was also watching him in amusement. "Sorry, I just get a little too involved sometimes," he said by way of apology.
 
"It's fine, Heero. Doesn't bother me at all," Zechs replied with a grin.
 
Scowling at being caught out, Heero decided the best course of action was to ignore the pair and concentrate back on the screen where Treize had cleared the double and was heading for jump seven.
 
* * *
 
“That's it, Goose. Good boy,” Treize praised his horse as the stallion made short work of the double. He was pleased with the way Goose was going, the stallion's strides eating up the ground, full of impulsion and yet light in hand, ready to obey Treize's slightest touch. Jump seven was up ahead and they came into it on the perfect stride.
 
Goose flicked an ear back to listen to his master's voice, the tone telling him he was doing what his master wanted. He spotted the next jump and lined it up, picking his take off point and launching into the air.
 
“Now for the hard part, Goose,” Treize muttered as he made the right hand turn that would bring them to the water jump. He gave the stallion a little more rein and pushed on with his legs. Goose began to pick up speed, flattening his body out as he approached the water jump. Moments later they were skimming over the water to land clean on the other side. Immediately, Treize sat down hard in his saddle and took a firm hold on the reins, legs and seat driving the horse together whilst the hands held that forward motion in check, building the impulsion back up in the hind quarters where it would be needed very shortly.
 
Keeping one eye on jump nine and the other on jumps twelve and three, Treize managed to have Goose balanced enough to take the shorter track on the inside of the other two jumps. The rustic rails were upon them a little sooner than Treize would have liked but Goose took charge of the situation.
 
The bay stallion eyed the jump and gathered himself together. Hind legs came well underneath, hooves biting into the dirt of the arena as Goose lifted his body into the air. He stretched up and forward, tucking his legs neatly underneath as they flew over the rails and landed well out on the other side. Treize was a little unseated by the size of the leap Goose had put in, but quickly settled himself and began to collect Goose up again for the triple.
 
They turned to face the nemesis, Treize would have preferred to have had a couple of more strides in which to give Goose a bit more of a chance to regain some of his impulsion, but the triple was coming up fast and he was out of time. Using his seat and legs, Treize rode the horse together as best he could and hoped for the best.
 
“I can't watch,” Zoe moaned and hid her face against Michael's chest.
 
Back in Australia, similar words were also being spoken by Zechs - only he opted to hide his face in the couch cushion, he didn't think Duo would have minded had he used Duo's chest to hide in, but Heero might have objected.
 
Goose grunted as he pushed away from the ground over the first element of the triple. Colored poles passed beneath him and a split second later forelegs were reaching out for the impact of landing. As soon as Goose cleared the first element, Treize was there with his seat and legs, reins held quietly as he pushed his horse together. Goose took the two strides between obstacles and then propelled himself once more into the air. The second element had a good spread on it and Goose was pushed to stretch and clear it; but clear it he did. He landed again and gave a snort, his master urging him on, shortening his stride and trying to push as much energy as he could into those powerful hind quarters.
 
Another two strides and the last element was there. Gamely Goose launched himself into the air, but he was getting tired and the strain of the large triple plus the previous two fences were taking their toll. The stallion stretched out as much as he could, desperately reaching for the far pole of the jump and the safety of the ground below it. Goose's belly scraped over the pole, rolling it in the cups. Hind legs followed and the fetlocks just caught the pole as it was rocking back into place and gave it a little push.
 
The pole rolled for a moment and then fell.
 
Treize didn't need to hear the sound of the pole hitting the dirt to know he'd just scored himself four penalties. Dismissing it from his mind, he pulled himself together and rode with determination to jump eleven, the hedge. Goose cleared it but Treize could feel the stallion beginning to tire.
 
“Nearly home, Goose. Two more to go and then we're done.”
 
Goose listened to the tone of voice and despite his tiredness, lifted himself once more and cleared the triple. Now there was only the wall left. The red bricks looked formidable as they approached. Goose hesitated for a fraction of a second, Treize felt the slight hesitation and immediately sat down harder and rode the stallion with all he had at the last jump.
 
Goose tossed his head and then spied Duck waiting just outside the exit on the far side of the wall. He gave a low squeal and gathered himself together. Haunches strained as Goose propelled himself into the air, the bay body seeming to fly up and over, hanging for a brief second over the top of the jump and then coming back gracefully to earth. Once Goose had landed, Treize aimed for the finish flags and sent Goose galloping through them.
 
Applause and cheering rang out through the arena as Treize broke the beam and stopped the clock. He sat down in the saddle and began to slow Goose, bringing the horse back to a trot and covering the sweaty neck with pats whilst heaping verbal praise on the stallion at the same time.
 
“Good boy, Goose. You were great.” Treize looked around for the exit and spotting it, rode towards it where he could see an excited Joe and impatient Duck waiting for them.
 
As Treize rode out of the arena, the commentator announced; “Four faults for Treize Kushrenada on Tall Geese representing Australia.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...