Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 28
 
Once the shock of making it through to the second round had begun to settle in, the team found themselves madly discussing strategies again. Noin couldn't help but smile to herself at the dedication shown by her team. Whilst she hadn't said anything about whose score she had dropped, they all knew it was Michael's, but it didn't affect the team spirit in any way; if anything it seemed to make them all even more determined to improve their performances.
 
The stadium was a hive of activity, the show jumps were being removed and the arena raked over in readiness for the dressage competition that was due to take pace next. Clearing her throat, Noin managed to gain the attention of her team.
 
"I suggest we all go back to the village and celebrate with a drink; the non-alcoholic kind,” she added when she spotted Phillip's eyes glint. “We still have a competition to get through tomorrow and riding with a hangover is not a good idea. Save the alcoholic beverages for tomorrow night when we will be either celebrating or drowning our sorrows. We can discuss ideas and ways to tackle tomorrow's course over dinner tonight, right now I think we should all relax and enjoy the moment.”
 
"Now that sounds like a great idea to me,” Treize said as he stretched his legs out in front of himself. “I could really do with a shower first though.”
 
Noin glanced at her watch. “Why don't you all check your horses, take your showers and then meet up in the coffee shop by the main entry? We can relax and chat before you settle your horses for the evening. We have the interview with the press at six and once that's over with we can go get dinner and discuss tactics and game plan for tomorrow.”
 
Phillip groaned. “I'd forgotten about the press interview.”
 
"Why, Phillip, I'm surprised at you," Zoe teased. “I thought you couldn't wait to speak with the reporters, make an appearance and say a few great words to your many, adoring fans. After all, you are the man of the hour.”
 
Phillip rolled his eyes. “Can't you put a leash on her?” he asked Michael.
 
"Sorry, you're on your own on this,” Michael replied as he held his hands up in the air in surrender.
 
"Wise move,” Treize stated. “Best never to argue with a woman, they will beat you every time,” he added with a knowing look.
 
Noin and Zoe smirked.
 
"I give up,” Phillip said. “I'm going to go check on Geronimo, at least he respects me.” Knowing he was beaten, Phillip got up and went back to the stables to check his horse, the rest of the group soon followed.
 
* * *
 
The house seemed cold and empty when Zechs returned from Duo's. He tossed his keys onto the small table and checked his answering machine. He only had one call on there and that was from Oakford to let him know he had a case to visit first thing in the morning. Grabbing a pen, Zechs replayed the message and noted down the details. He glanced at the clock and decided he had enough time to take a shower before Treize would be calling.
 
Fifteen minutes later, Zechs was fishing around in the back of the pantry, trying to find a bottle of red wine he knew he had in there somewhere. With a triumphant smile, he located the bottle and brought it out. Uncorking it, he poured himself a glass and carried both the glass and bottle through to the lounge room where he set them on the small table. The stereo was switched on and soft, classical music began to flow from the speakers. Taking a sip of the wine, Zechs relaxed into the chair.
 
The sound of the phone ringing clashed horribly with the music and Zechs was quick to grab the receiver, turning the volume down at the same time.
 
"Doctor Merquise.”
 
"Zechs.”
 
"Treize?”
 
Treize gave a low chuckle. "Did you watch the telecast?"
 
"Yes. You almost gave me a heart attack."
 
"Sorry."
 
Zechs laughed. "I'd say congratulations are in order. You rode magnificently."
 
"Thank you," Treize almost whispered, the blush coming through in his words. "It wasn't just me though, the rest of the team were great."
 
"Yes, they were. You all rode well and the whole of Australia is proud of you. How do you think you will go in tomorrow's competition?"
 
"Hard to say," Treize replied. "The course will be the same, just set at maximum height and width I'd say. It was a really tough course and tomorrow it will be even harder."
 
Zechs and Treize continued to talk for a while, Treize relating his round to Zechs whilst Zechs filled Treize in on what was happening back in Aussie. They chatted for quite some time before Treize had to call it a night. It was getting late and he needed to be fresh for the competition on the 'morrow. Reluctantly, they said their good-byes, Treize promising to call the following evening and Zechs wishing his lover all the best of luck for their next round.
 
Replacing the receiver in its cradle, Zechs mused over the conversation. He missed his lover terribly and could tell that Treize missed him too, but on the other hand, Zechs was proud and happy with his lover's success and would never have dreamed of standing in the man's way of making his mark in the sport he loved so much. Treize would return soon and Zechs would be eagerly waiting for him, determined to show his partner exactly how much he had missed him. With warm thoughts, Zechs rinsed his glass and put it to drain. The empty bottle went into the recycling bin and Zechs retired to his bed for the night, dreaming of a ginger haired man and smiling, blue eyes.
 
* * *
 
Heero hung up the tea towel just as Duo entered the kitchen. “All finished?” Duo asked with a smile.
 
“Hai. Everywhere locked up?”
 
“Yup.” Duo gave a yawn.
 
Heero walked over to his partner and wrapped his arms around the slender waist. Burying his head against Duo's shoulder he began to nuzzle the vet's neck. “It was a good competition,” he murmured.
 
“Mmm... That it was.”
 
“The interview was interesting.”
 
Duo chuckled as his mind recalled the interview with the Australian team once the telecast of the jumping had concluded. Noin was the only one that appeared at ease with the press. Everyone else had looked a little uncomfortable, if not embarrassed with all the attention. “I'm sure you can relate to how taxing those interviews can be.”
 
Heero growled softly. “Don't remind me.” To distract his lover, Heero began to feather kisses along Duo's neck whilst his hands rubbed up and down Duo's back. A soft moan encouraged him to continue. Heero let one hand slide lower until it brushed lightly over Duo's denim clad rear.
 
Eyes fluttered shut as Duo enjoyed the attention. He let his own hands wander, palms pressing flat against Heero's back as he worked lower towards Heero's waist band and then slipped a hand underneath to pull those enticing buttocks closer.
 
“I think we should take this through to the bedroom,” Heero murmured.
 
“Bed sounds like a really good idea,” Duo returned, his voice husky.
 
Releasing each other from their embrace, but holding hands instead, Heero led his partner through the house and to the bedroom, turning off the lights as they went. Shutting the door behind them, Heero immediately swooped in and claimed Duo's lips in a searing kiss.
 
Tongues clashed and battled for dominance. Mouths were explored as hands and fingers went to work, divesting heated bodies of their clothing. Duo stepped out of his jeans and boxers, kicking them slightly away to the side before yanking Heero's pants and briefs off the tanned man. Heero's half hard cock was bared to his sight and Duo licked his lips.
 
“God, you're perfect,” Duo groaned and then dragged his partner to the bed, pushing him to the mattress.
 
Heero was willing to fall, landing softly and wriggling around to get comfortable. Duo loomed above him, his matching, semi erect cock gaining ground by the second. “Want you,” Heero moaned.
 
“Need you,” Duo replied as he straddled his lover's hips and leaned in close for a tender kiss.
 
Kisses were shared, each man trying to devour the other, unable to get enough. With their mouths locked, Duo's hands began to wander over the warm flesh of his lover, palms rubbing over Heero's chest followed by fingers tracing the dips and curves of muscle groups. Heero's skin shivered with the gentle explorations, soft mewls and groans escaping his throat from time to time to be swallowed by Duo's insistent mouth.
 
Fingers found a caramel nipple and began to tease at it, flicking over the nub and pinching lightly until the soft bud hardened and stood firmly to attention. Whilst Duo's fingers toyed at Heero's chest, Heero allowed his own hands to feather across the broad expanse of Duo's back. A flush began to spread over each man as their respective bodies came alive with the sensations.
 
Stroking over Duo's back, Heero's palms arrived at the swell of creamy buttocks. They continued their gentle caressing, sliding over the firm cheeks and moving ever closer to the dip of the crevice. Unable to resist any longer, Heero's fingertips slipped between Duo's cheeks and ran teasingly along that crack, finding the small pucker and rubbing lightly over it before ghosting along the crevice again.
 
It was Duo's turn to moan. Those teasing digits brought his nerves to full awakening, the stimulation both soothing and arousing. His eyes fluttered shut as the pleasure shuddered through him. His own fingers stilled momentarily as he opted to simply enjoy the torment.
 
A soft chuckle escaped Heero as he watched his lover's face relax, the expression one of pure delight as Heero continued to tease the tiny entrance and stroke the sensitive nerves hiding just underneath the skin surface of that sweet furrow.
 
Feeling his cock throbbing between his legs and eager to return the pleasure, Duo managed to scramble his brain and connect between thought and action. His hands obeyed and once again began to work over Heero's chest. This time though, they continued to move downwards, over the fluttering stomach muscles and pausing when they reached the wiry hair at the apex of Heero's legs.
 
Fingers brushed through the stiff hair, slowly working towards the hardness that reared up and begged for attention.
 
Heero brought his hands to the front of Duo, running teasingly along the inside of spread thighs, working ever closer to Duo's proud cock. He could feel the muscle quiver with each touch and watched in amusement as Duo's cock bounced, jerking as the vet moved in response to the stimulus.
 
Breathing deepened, sweat began to form, slicking heated bodies as the teasing and torment rose to greater heights. Duo's hand finally found Heero's cock and curled around the shaft, stroking languidly. In reply, Heero cupped Duo's balls and fondled them gently.
 
“Oh, God,” Duo groaned. Beneath him, Heero echoed the sentiment, hips undulating lightly, seeking more stimulation.
 
Knowing that if they kept teasing each other like this it wouldn't be long before they both came, Duo reluctantly released Heero's cock. He needed to feel his lover's tight channel surrounding him when he came. Heero bemoaned the loss but was soon singing another tune as Duo's fingers dipped beneath his sac and drifted along his crack.
 
Opening his thighs wider, Heero encouraged his partner to seek out more of his secrets, something Duo was only too happy to do. The lube was pressed into his hand, Duo taking it and coating his fingers liberally. The tip of a finger smeared the slippery gel around Heero's anus before sliding inside and working the tight muscles.
 
A second finger soon followed, then a third as Heero's body relaxed and softened to accommodate the digits. With three fingers sliding in and out, Heero began to groan and wriggle on the bed. “Need you,” he whispered huskily.
 
A kiss was pressed to Heero's lips as fingers withdrew, leaving the hole stretched and glistening with lube. While Heero was distracted with the kiss, Duo groped around to locate the lube again and quickly coated his length. Releasing Heero's lips, Duo looked deep into his lover's eyes as he pressed the head of his erection against Heero's entrance.
 
“I love you, Heero,” Duo murmured, his amethyst eyes burning with fierce desire, need and want.
 
“Love you too, Duo,” Heero replied and tilted his pelvis slightly to make Duo's entry into his body a little easier.
 
Duo's cock head pressed insistently against the stretched muscles, opening them further as he pushed forward. The muscles gave, welcoming Duo's cock into the tight heat of Heero's channel. With the flared head inside, the rest of Duo slid in easily, stroking along Heero's inner walls and awakening the sleeping nerves.
 
“You feel good,” Heero murmured, eyes slipping closed as he savored every inch of his partner.
 
“You're so hot and tight,” Duo moaned. “I can't get enough of you.”
 
“Make love to me, Duo.”
 
Propping himself on his elbows, Duo began a slow retreat, pulling from inside Heero only to slip back in seconds later. Giving Heero time to adjust to the invasion and let the lube do its job, Duo kept his thrusts slow and steady. Once Heero's sheath softened, Duo began to build up the speed and depth of his thrusting.
 
“Ah, yes," Heero hissed as his prostate was prodded. The pleasure rolled through him, igniting his blood and searing through his entire nervous system. He raised his legs and wrapped them around Duo's waist, pulling his lover deeper inside.
 
Muscles strained in Duo's thighs and buttocks as he plunged in and out of Heero's compliant sheath. The hot, tight walls that surrounded him stroked his length, squeezed and massaged his cock from tip to root sending Duo into stimulation overdrive.
 
All too soon it became a desperate dance to reach the pinnacle. The teasing had gone on for too long, both men being tormented to the point where they couldn't take any more. Basic animal instinct took over, Duo's hips thrusting hard and fast whilst Heero's pelvis pushed back , seeking to draw all of his lover as far inside as he could get him.
 
Duo's climax was swimming in front of him, so close he could taste it. Needing both his arms and hands to support himself, Duo was unable to reach between their grinding bodies to bring Heero off. His eyes closed tightly as the first tremors of his climax began to claim him.
 
Soft cries were emitted as Duo fell over the edge into nirvana. His cock throbbed, swelled and then began to pump his release into Heero's welcoming channel. His hips slowed in their thrusting, eyes squeezed shut as the overwhelming pleasure boiled through his blood, completely saturating him in bliss.
 
Feeling his partner tense and then cry out, Heero pushed his hips up to meet the inward thrust. The shudder and accompanying flood of heat inside him indicated Duo's climax. Heero slowed his own pushing, letting Duo ride the waves of his orgasm, simply enjoying the feeling of his lover still inside even though his own cock cried out for release.
 
Duo began to return from his orgasmic high and realized that Heero was still hard and had yet to come. Feeling a little guilty, he propped himself back up from where he'd collapsed against Heero's chest and gazed into the amused blue eyes of his partner. With a sly smile, Duo gently slipped from inside Heero and wriggled his way down the sweaty body until he was resting between Heero's still spread thighs. He eyed the weeping cock hungrily and then flicked his gaze back to Heero.
 
Watching with lidded eyes, Heero gave a soft gasp as Duo's tongue slipped out and licked over the sensitive head. With their gazed still locked, he noted the sly smile and then cried out as Duo's hot mouth dove in and swallowed him whole.
 
Determined to make it up to his lover for not bringing him off while they were making love, Duo let his tongue roam the length of Heero's shaft, twirling over the stiff flesh, teasing at the small slit and lapping the precum away. He drew the entire length into his mouth, sucking hard and then he released the organ, running his tongue around the flared ridge and grazing his teeth lightly over the sensitive head.
 
Hips bucked as Heero writhed under the torture. He was slowly but surely being driven insane with the teasing of his flesh. He wanted nothing more than to come, to gain the release he craved so much.
 
Taking pity on his lover, Duo began to suck in earnest, using every trick he knew to bring Heero to a mind blowing orgasm. Remembering what Heero liked, Duo put that knowledge into action, flicking his tongue over the tiny slit then suckling lightly at it, drawing the steadily leaking precum out to swallow it away and return for more.
 
It was too much for Heero. With a groan he tried to warn Duo of his impending release, but Duo was a step ahead of him. He'd felt the muscles starting to tense and backed off a little, ready to receive Heero's gift.
 
With a sharp cry, Heero stiffened and froze for a moment, the waves of climax crashing over him and dragging him deep into the tsunami. His cock jerked and pulsed, thick fluid spilling from within to be eagerly suckled down Duo's throat.
 
Eagerly drinking all that Heero had to offer him, Duo savored the taste. Heero's cock began to soften, having spent all its passion into Duo's mouth but Duo wanted more. He licked all over the now flaccid organ, cleaning up every last drop before worming his way back up Heero's flushed body to lie beside his lover. He smirked and licked his lips as a pair of sated, blue eyes cracked open and peered at him from beneath sweaty bangs.
 
Reaching out, Heero enveloped his lover in a warm embrace, kissing Duo's jaw, neck and finally, lips. He could taste himself there and found it to be quite pleasant. "Thank you," he sighed. "That was incredible."
 
"It was great for me too," Duo replied as he nuzzled Heero's neck, not wanting to leave the strength of those arms wrapped around him.
 
"I think you wore me out," Heero chuckled. "I don't have the energy to get up and get cleaned up."
 
"Me either," came the sleepy response.
 
"We'd better get under the covers or we'll freeze."
 
"Might be an idea." Grunting softly, the pair maneuvered themselves, pulling sheets and blankets until they were both snuggled underneath the warm covers.
 
"Love you," muttered Duo as he burrowed deeper into the warmth and allowed sleep to claim his exhausted body.
 
"Aishiteru," murmured Heero as he also drifted off into a happy, sated slumber.
 
* * *
 
The following day saw Heero flat out at Treize's with the horses that needed working. Virgo, the big mare, was starting to go ahead in her education. She was a sweet tempered thing and willing to learn. Heero discovered she had a natural jump to her now that she'd gotten control over those long legs of hers. She was a fast learner too and Heero had the feeling she would be bounding through the grades of competition in record time.
 
Back at the practice, Zero's leg was showing every sign of healing perfectly. There was no longer the trace of a limp when Zero walked, something that pleased both Heero and Duo. Duo was quietly confident that the stallion would recover enough to be able to serve mares without any problems from the leg at all.
 
Angel had settled in well, accepting her new home with grace. Shini was fascinated with her and would spend a lot of his time gazing over the paddock rails at the filly, a dreamy look in his eye. Duo had called him a love struck teenager, Heero had called him an idiot and hadn't been impressed; it was hard enough getting Shini to concentrate and work properly when Heero was schooling him without the added distraction of the filly. Heero had taken to riding Shini in the evenings, when he'd put Angel and Scythe inside the stables. At least then he managed to get the young stallion's complete attention.
 
Angel didn't seem to return Shini's affection, she seemed to be smitten with Zero - which was just as well considering Heero wanted to mate the pair. Zero didn't seem bothered either way. Yes, he paid attention to the filly, same as he did to Scythe, but he kept his displays of affection to a gentlemanly level, unlike his son who was often seen cavorting around his paddock, showing off and trying to gain some form of attention from the filly.
 
Scythe had accepted the young mare and the pair were firm friends, Scythe even allowed Angel to share her haynet, something that had even Duo shaking his head at. Knowing how possessive the mare was over her food, it was quite something to see. The feed bin though was a completely different story. No one but Scythe got their muzzle inside that bin once Scythe's food was in it! Duo had teased Heero mercilessly once when Heero hadn't been quite quick enough to move his arm out the way when mixing up the feed. Scythe had gotten impatient, the nice human didn't usually take long to mix up her dinner, but this time he had. Scythe had pushed forward and shoved Heero out the way, almost trapping Heero's arm between the side of the feed bin and her head. Heero had sported a patch of grazed skin and couple of bruises on the inside of his arm for several days, after literally dragging his arm out of the way.
 
Heero gave the sweating neck a couple of pats and praised the young stallion as he walked him around the paddock to cool off. Shini had worked well and Heero was pleased with him. He had a few more shows planned to end the season with and if Shini kept going the way he was, there was every chance the youngster would be at B grade by the end of the following season. That thought alone warmed Heero. If he could finish the following year in B grade then the chances were Shini would make A grade by the year after. He would then have another eighteen months in A grade to prove themselves worthy of being selected for the next Olympic games.
 
As the stallion walked around, Heero mentally mapped out his future years with the gray, planning what shows he would need to attend in order to have Shini gain experience as he passed through the various grades of competition. After ten minutes of walking, the youngster was cool enough for Heero to bring in and stable for the evening.
 
Duo was waiting in the stables, having come down whilst Heero was finishing off to give his lover a hand with settling the horses for the night. Zero was rugged and eating happily, Scythe also had her nose buried in the feed bin, munching away.
 
Tying Shinigami up to the small ring in the wall by his stable door, Heero began to remove the saddle and brush the stallion down. Duo emerged from Angel's stable, a thoughtful look on his face and made his way over to Heero. Heero noted the look and air of distraction about his lover and wondered what was up. He decided the straight forward approach was probably the best.
 
“Something wrong, Duo?”
 
“Huh?” Duo heard his lover's voice but didn't register the words.
 
Heero chuckled. “I asked if something was wrong. You seem distracted.” Heero picked up Shini's rug from where it hung over the stable door and began to put it on the gray.
 
“Ah. Now that you mention it, there's nothing wrong, per say. Just something I'm not completely sure about.”
 
“Oh?” Heero wasn't completely sure what was going on and gave his partner a puzzled look.
 
Duo sighed. “When you've put Shini away I'd like you to take a look at something.”
 
“Okay.” Heero's curiosity was even more aroused now and he quickly finished doing up the leg straps on Shini's rug. With the stallion all set for the night, Heero led him into his stable and then bolted the door, leaving Shini to eat his dinner. “What would you like me to see?”
 
“Follow me.” Duo led his lover to Angel's stable. The filly was eating but raised her head out of the feed bin to gaze back at the humans for a moment, then resumed her feeding.
 
“Is there something wrong with Angel?” Heero asked, concern slipping into his voice. He hadn't noticed anything wrong with the filly when he'd brought her in from the paddock.
 
“Look closely at her, Heero.”
 
Heero did but was still unable to see whatever it was Duo was seeing. “I don't see anything different.”
 
“It's not very obvious, yet.”
 
“Yet? Duo? Would you please stop talking in riddles and tell me what is wrong?” Heero was starting to get a little frustrated.
 
“I'm pretty sure she's coming into season.”
 
“Aa.” Heero felt like he'd been sucker punched.
 
“If she is, it will be a true test of just how well Zero's leg is going to stand up to him serving mares.”
 
“Are you sure she's coming into season?” Heero's mind was still a couple of sentences behind the conversation. Whilst he was no prude when it came to sex with his lover, for some reason, Heero found himself getting very embarrassed discussing sex - even if it was between animals.
 
“There's one way to be sure.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“Tomorrow, when you go to put her out in the paddock, let her stop by Zero's stable on the way out. If she is coming into season, she'll be all over him like a rash. If she's not, then she won't show any more interest in him than normal.”
 
“Right. I'll do that,” Heero replied. Duo laughed, Heero frowned. “What's so funny?”
 
“You are, Heero. I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but it's the seriousness with which you are approaching this situation.”
 
Heero scratched the back of his neck and gave a sheepish grin. “Guess I am approaching this seriously, but I've never had a stallion stand at stud before, it's all new to me and no amount of reading up on the subject is as good or informative as first hand experience.”
 
“Look at it this way, Heero. If Angel is coming into season then not only will it be a good test of how Zero's leg will cope with the stress of serving a mare, but it will be good practice for when you have other mares coming to Zero.”
 
“Good point.”
 
“Besides, Zechs is coming back over this evening to watch the next round of the jumping, I'd suggest letting him know of our suspicions and if Angel is in season, I'm sure Zechs won't mind calling back the following day to help out and show us how to handle this mare and stallion mating stuff. He did offer to help.”
 
“Hai, I know. Okay, we'll tell him and see what he suggests.” Heero glanced at his watch. “Better get moving, I need a shower and dinner, the telecast starts in another two hours and I want to be ready to watch it.”
 
“Aye, aye, Captain,” Duo snickered and gave a mock salute.
 
“If I'm the captain, then you're the cabin boy, now, take me back to the house and feed me,” Heero retorted quickly.
 
Duo chuckled and shook his head. He stole a quick kiss. “If I'm the cabin boy, then I guess I should show you later in our cabin exactly why I'm a cabin boy.” He gave Heero a lusty stare before walking away to turn off the lights and slide the door across the stable complex entrance, putting a little extra sway into his hips as he went.
 
Heero groaned.
 
* * *
 
Zechs arrived half an hour before the telecast was due to start. Once again it was a delayed telecast, but not by much. He hadn't heard from Treize and didn't dare call his lover either as he knew Treize would most probably still be ringside, either having jumped or waiting to jump. Treize had promised to call as soon as his round was over and he had the chance to so Zechs was doing his best to remain calm and patient.
 
Duo had told Zechs of his suspicions regarding Angel and her coming into season. Zechs had assured them both he'd meant what he'd said about helping them both and agreed to wait until the 'morrow when Heero and Duo would be better able to determine if the filly was indeed in season. If she was, then Zechs would arrange a time to call back and assist with the serving of the mare.
 
With mugs of hot chocolate beside them, a bowl of chips and other snacks on the small coffee table in the lounge room, the trio waited patiently for the jumping telecast to start. Heero had his notebook and pen again, ready to record the scores as they were announced and keep track of which country placed where.
 
They had to suffer through the results of the weightlifting, highlights of the ladies gymnastics and a couple of rounds of pole vaulting before finally, the jumping telecast started. The commentator began by recapping the previous day's competition, giving out the final scores again and confirming the twelve countries that would be jumping that day. He also informed the viewing public that the countries would jump in the same order as before, only the individual riders in each team would be jumping in reverse order: fourth rider first, then the third, second and first.
 
That meant Phillip and Geronimo would be the first to go for the Australian team.
 
With the explanations finished with, the screen changed to show the arena and brightly colored jumps. The course would be the same, only the heights and widths were now at the maximum allowed.
 
“May the best team win,” Duo muttered as the screen showed the first rider entering the arena.
 
* * *
 
Nerves were strung tight in the Australian camp. The team had walked the course again, carefully noting the changes in height and width and thrashing out amongst themselves what would be the best option for each individual in their attempt for a clear round.
 
Treize had figured his best option would be to try and angle jump nine, give himself an extra couple of strides in which to build up Goose's impulsion again. Recalling their first round, he now had a much better idea of how the course rode and where he could take chances. Problem was; so did everyone else. And no one was going to make the same mistakes again if they could help it.
 
It was going to be a tough one and whoever won would have really earned the gold medal.
 
The course was closed and the competitors exited the arena, each heading back to their respective mounts, the competition ahead heavy on their minds. The Australian team all returned to the stables, silence thick in the air. Each was locked in their own thoughts.
 
The public address system crackled into life and informed everyone in the stable complex that the competition would be starting in fifteen minutes.
 
Suddenly, the stables became a hive of activity.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...