Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 30 ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 30
 
Treize settled himself into his saddle, collected his reins and gathered his horse. He applied the leg and Goose began to trot forward. The steward motioned for him to enter and Treize rode through the short tunnel and into the arena.
 
The jumps sparkled under the light and the crowd went quiet as the commentator announced him.
 
“Representing Australia; Treize Kushrenada riding Tall Geese.”
 
The applause broke out, the noise traveling down into the arena where Treize was making his way towards the judge's box to salute. Placing his reins in one hand, Treize brought Goose to a halt and removed his hat. Bowing his head, he acknowledged the judge, then replaced his helmet and rode Goose towards the start flags. The bell rang and Goose began to canter.
 
Treize circled around and brought Goose through the flags to face the first jump, all thoughts of anything but the course ahead left his mind and he focused completely on the job at hand.
 
Goose spotted the first jump and lengthened his stride, clearing it easily and looking for the next fence. It soon appeared and they sailed over it too, Treize sitting down deep into his saddle and checking Goose back so they could make a quick turn on the inside of jumps eight and twelve to bring them perfectly in line with jump three.
 
Drawing his hindquarters underneath him, Goose pushed off the ground and sailed into the air again, landing cleanly on the other side and cantering away with pricked ears. Jump four followed as did jump five, both being cleared with ease.
 
Settling into his stride, Goose was enjoying himself. He loved to jump and right now he had exactly what he wanted right in front of him. The double was coming up and Goose picked his take off point, lengthened out his stride and pushed his hind legs right underneath himself. Forelegs left the ground, body arching as his hind legs followed and the big bay soared into the air. Clearing the first element, Goose landed, collected himself together and with the urging of his rider's seat and legs, lifted away from the ground over part B.
 
They landed safely and were once again cantering away from a clean jump and towards the next obstacle. Treize kept a firm hold on the reins knowing that the more difficult part of the course was yet to come. It was imperative he keep Goose full of impulsion and the stallion's attention focused entirely on himself and the course.
 
Jump seven loomed before them and Treize rode his horse together, shortening his reins and driving his legs against Goose's sides. Goose responded, shortening stride and bringing his hindquarters underneath. The take off point arrived and Goose launched himself into the air, arching over the jump and landing neatly on the other side. Immediately they landed, Treize was sitting deep, gathering the bay up and riding him forward. The water jump was next and Treize knew he needed to gain speed to clear it, but still have Goose responsive to him for the next set of jumps which would be the most difficult.
 
* * *
 
“Oh, god, I can't take it,” Zechs muttered and closed his eyes. On the screen, Treize was approaching the water and Zechs' nerves were about to give out on him.
 
“Shhh,” Heero hissed, his attention completely riveted on the action in front of him.
 
Duo cocked an eyebrow and snickered to himself. Zechs looked across and Duo gave the other vet a sympathetic smile.
 
“Steady back,” Heero mumbled. “You need to get him together.”
 
“Shhh,” Zechs growled in response.
 
Heero looked up sharply and then reddened as he realized what was going on. “Sorry,“ he muttered in apology and then returned his attention to the telecast.
 
Duo buried his face in the cushion to muffle his laughter.
 
* * *
 
Goose picked up speed, eyeing the water ahead and gauging the distance from the take off to the landing. He really didn't want to get his feet wet! Treize sat quietly, not interfering but keeping his hand light and steady on the reins. Goose reached his pre-selected point and leapt over the water, forelegs reaching for the dry ground on the other end. Hooves bit into the dirt, showering small clumps to either side and back into the water as Goose landed and headed away.
 
Immediately, Treize had his weight dropping into his saddle, fingers closing on the reins and checking his horse back. Treize's strong legs made the horse obey and reluctantly Goose slowed his forward rush, shortening his stride while retaining impulsion. Treize kept a firm feel on the stallion's mouth as he continued to shorten Goose's stride. Shifting his weight and applying his leg, Treize had Goose almost at a standstill and pivoting on his hindquarters. They made a neat turn inside jump twelve and once more Goose was striding forward.
 
“Shit!” Michael hissed as he watched the pair in the ring almost stop and pirouette.
 
“Very sneaky,” Phillip chuckled.
 
“You mean very clever,” Noin amended as she watched the rider and horse approaching jump nine. All she could do was hope and pray that Treize's skills and Goose's stamina would see them through this next, most difficult part of the course.
 
“Go, Treize!” Zoe cheered softly, a wide smile on her face.
 
Goose checked his pace and listened to his rider, obeying the slightest instruction. He let his master guide him where he wanted, keeping his impulsion and eager to jump. He could see the next jump ahead and began to tug at the reins preventing him from barreling forward.
 
“Steady, Goose,“ Treize soothed as he studied the jump ahead. Treize had a little trick up his sleeve but to pull it off successfully he would need all his concentration and cooperation from the bay. He selected the point of take off, lined it up and then began to ride Goose towards it. He swung out slightly wider than his first round and then zeroed in on the jump.
 
* * *
 
“What the...?” began Zechs.
 
“Well, I'll be,” Heero muttered as he watched the drama unfolding.
 
“Would someone care to enlighten me?” Duo asked, his voice holding a slight frustration to it.
 
“I wouldn't mind knowing what's happening either,” Zechs chipped in. “Especially as it looks like he's going off course.”
 
“I think he's planning on taking jump nine at an angle,” Heero said as he watched the line Treize was riding.
 
“It's going to be a pretty sharp angle then,” Duo stated, “given the way he's heading off to the right.”
 
“It's going to be a close one,” agreed Heero.
 
“Why?” Zechs asked. He wasn't all that clued up on angles and jumping.
 
“Usually you bring a horse into a jump straight on, they can judge the height better and have a greater chance of clearing it. Angling a jump can save time and also put you in a better position to clear a following jump, as in this case. Only problem is, the more severe the angle, the greater the chance of the horse refusing.” Heero's brows furrowed. “Shit.”
 
“Why shit?” demanded Zechs as his eyes went from the screen to Heero and back again.
 
“He's planning to take it at a forty-five degree angle - I think.”
 
“And that means?” Duo questioned, just as frustrated as Zechs.
 
“A very hard jump. Oh fuck.”
 
Zechs and Duo immediately turned back to the screen and echoed the sentiment.
 
* * *
 
Keeping Goose alert and responsive to his slightest touch, Treize began his approach to jump nine. If he could successfully pull this off he would be perfectly lined up for the triple. A slight touch to the right rein and light pressure of left leg had Goose shifting a touch to the right. Treize lined his angle up, originally intending to take the jump at a forty-five degree angle - difficult enough at the best of times. Looking ahead to where part A of the triple lay in wait, Treize amended his plan slightly and decided to go for a much finer angle - thirty degrees to be exact.
 
It was a huge risk and presented every opportunity for Goose to simply duck left and canter right past the jump. Treize used every ounce of skill he had to keep Goose on course and let the bay know this was a jump and they were to jump it, not bypass it.
 
Goose was a little confused by the signals he was getting, his rider telling him they needed to jump, but approaching on such an angle it was hard for him to pick his take off point. But Goose was well educated and listened to his rider. He trusted his master, after all, his master had never put him in a position where he'd been hurt and certainly never asked for more that he could give.
 
Waiting for the signal to take off, Goose continued in his approach to the jump.
 
“What the hell?” said Zoe as her eyes widened.
 
“Is he going to?” questioned Phillip.
 
“Surely not,” said Michael.
 
“I hope he can pull it off,” muttered Noin and forced herself to continue watching when all she wanted to do was close her eyes.
 
The stallion pricked his ears and responded to the shift in weight of his rider. Legs closed against his sides, pushing him forward, once, twice and then with the third push, the reins loosened a little and his master's weight started to go forward. Goose had lost sight of the jump, the placement of his eyes in his head only allowing him to see the jump until he was three strides away and then it disappeared from his vision and he trusted his instincts - or his rider - for the take off point.
 
Muscles strained, rippling beneath the bay hide as Goose launched himself into the air. He tucked his forelegs underneath, hind legs lifting behind him as he arched over the jump. Poles flashed beneath them and Goose seemed to hover in the air for a moment before his front legs began to extend out in readiness for the landing.
 
* * *
 
“Holy crap!” exclaimed Duo as he watched the pair on the screen flying over the jump. “Never in this world is that a forty-five degree angle, if it is then all the geometry I learned just went out the window.”
 
“You're right, it's more like thirty degrees,” Heero breathed. “Shit, a forty-five degree is hard enough, but a thirty?”
 
“I hope he clears it then,” Zechs mumbled.
 
* * *
 
Hooves once more bit into the dirt and Goose grunted as he landed. Hind legs joined the fore on the ground and Goose gathered himself together. Immediately they landed, Treize was there with his seat and leg, getting his horse back in hand as he looked for and lined up the first of the triple elements.
 
The angle he'd taken over jump nine had not only been successful, but had put him in perfect alignment for the three parts. Now all he had to do was keep as much impulsion as possible and hope that luck would continue to be on their side.
 
* * *
 
“He did it!” cheered Duo and grabbed a stunned Heero in his arms, hugging and kissing the life out of him.
 
Zechs collapsed back into his chair, one hand over his mouth, the other over his heart which felt like it was going to jump out of his chest. He glanced briefly at Heero and Duo who were locked at the lip and then back to the screen. “Please, be safe,” he whispered.
 
Heero was taken by surprise but quickly recovered and was soon returning the kiss and hug with enthusiasm. When they broke for air, his grin mirrored that of Duo's. “That was some riding,” he admitted.
 
“Awesome,” agreed Duo.
 
“I really hope he can keep this up for the rest of the round,” returned Heero as he released his lover and settled back to watch as Treize approached the first element of the triple.
 
* * *
 
“Good boy,” Treize praised his horse and added a quick pat to the sweating neck. “Now for the tough one.”
 
Goose cocked back an ear. He could tell from his master's tone he was doing the right thing. He could see the poles approaching and remembered this jump from before. Responding to the aids his master was giving, Goose slowed his pace and gathered his energy together.
 
Sitting as quietly as he could, Treize carefully approached the triple, keeping Goose forward going whilst keeping the energy contained. Part A loomed before them and Treize let the stallion go. Goose dug his hind hooves into the ground and pushed off. They arched over the first element and landed clean. Treize was right there, seat and leg pushing Goose back together and urging him forward. Another grunt and Goose was again pushing off from the ground, reaching high to clear part B.
 
Another safe landing and Goose gathered himself together for the last part of the triple. Muscles strained as he launched into the air reaching for the width as well as the height of the last element. Treize held his breath as they seemed to soar forever upwards, weight off his horse's back, hands forward on either side of the neck as he stayed in perfect harmony with the stallion. Then Goose was coming back to earth. Forelegs sank into the soft ground, bones, tendons and ligaments all straining as they bore the weight of the big stallion and his rider. Hind legs touched the ground and Goose was safely cantering away.
 
In the stands, Noin thought she was going to pass out and had to remind herself to breathe. Zoe was bouncing out of her seat in excitement, an equally enthusiastic Michael grinning from ear to ear beside her. Phillip sat in stunned silence, the efforts of his team mate leaving him speechless with admiration.
 
A ripple of excitement went through the crowd but no one dared to put a voice to it lest they disturb the concentration of the pair in the arena.
 
* * *
 
“Yes!” Heero crowed and punched the air as his boss successfully cleared all three elements of the triple. He grabbed Duo and kissed the vet.
 
“That's the hard part out of the way,” Duo commented when Heero let him draw breath.
 
“Yes, it is, but there's still another three jumps to go before he's finished,” replied Heero. “It's not over yet.”
 
“Ah, but surely those three shouldn't pose any problem, not the way Tall Geese is jumping?” Zechs questioned.
 
“It's critical that Treize and Goose don't lose their focus now. The hard ones may be out of the way, but it's not over yet. This is when a lot of riders make mistakes. They know the difficult jumps are over and they let themselves relax, that's when mistakes are made,” Heero replied.
 
“I think I'm going to be sick,” groaned Zechs.
 
Duo passed over the empty biscuit bowl.
 
“Thanks, I think.”
 
* * *
 
Treize listened carefully for the sound of falling poles. When there was nothing but the noise of Goose's hooves as they cantered away, he couldn't help but grin. Giving the horse a pat of encouragement he focused on the next jump; the hedge.
 
Goose was beginning to feel the strain of the extra height and width, he was getting tired but gamely cantered on. He felt his master's weight shift and altered his stride accordingly. The next jump came into view and Goose lined it up.
 
Powerful hindquarters pushed the stallion into the air and then followed the body as the horse arced over the jump. Forelegs brushed lightly through the top of the hedge, but not enough to dislodge it and so it was classified as clear. Goose stumbled a little on landing but recovered quickly.
 
Noin bit her lip, eyes riveted on the pair in the arena. If will alone could get the pair through and clear, then Noin was projecting enough for her entire team.
 
Out in the 'wings', Joe and Duck watched in silence. Joe was constantly having to remind himself to breathe whilst Duck had eyes only for his stable mate. The mini pony gave a soft snort and pawed the ground as Goose landed over the hedge.
 
“Two more to go, Goose,” Treize muttered as he shortened his rein and rode the bay together. He could feel how tired the horse was and did everything in his power to keep the impulsion there whilst remaining as still as possible. The next jump ahead, Treize sized it up then sat deep, riding Goose forward with everything he had.
 
Once more the stallion soared into the air, straining to reach the extra width that had been added. The back pole seemed a long way off as Goose gave it all he had. Hind legs touched the back pole, rocking it in the cups as Goose began to return to earth. The stallion landed, the pole rocked a couple more times and then decided to let gravity have its way and fell.
 
* * *
 
“No!” Duo shouted as he watched the pole fall. “That can't happen.”
 
“What can't happen?” asked Zechs, opening his eyes to see what was going on. He couldn't help it, he was completely on edge, his nerves frayed from all the tension and he simply couldn't watch any more.
 
“Damn! They were doing so well too,” Heero groaned.
 
“Four faults, that's what happened,” Duo said in reply to Zechs' question. “That really sucks.”
 
“Aw fuck,” Zechs muttered.
 
“My sentiments exactly,” Duo agreed.
 
* * *
 
Duck stamped his little hoof and then began to paw at the ground. He could see his stable mate, sense the tension in the air and feel the excitement. He jerked against the lead rope but Joe was holding firm. Duck gave a low whinny of disgust.
 
Goose heard the low whinny and pricked his ears. He could smell his companion on the light breeze that wafted into the arena. His master's weight shifted again, pressure applied to his sides and Goose gathered himself together. He found extra strength from somewhere and seemed to know that this next jump was the last.
 
The wall lay ahead, a solid mass of red bricks. The final jump between Goose, Treize and the finish. “Let's give this one all we have, Goose,” Treize encouraged as he drove Goose's hind legs underneath and mustered as much impulsion as he could in the bay.
 
One, two, three strides and Goose launched himself into the air. The large body flew upward and reached for the height. Goose appeared to hover in the air for a couple of seconds, teetering over the top of the jump and then finally starting to return to the ground. They landed safely, all bricks still in place. Treize gave Goose his head and the pair galloped through the finish.
 
In the stands the crowd erupted into cheers and applause.
 
“Four faults for Treize Kushrenada and Tall Geese representing Australia.”
 
Tears momentarily blinded Treize, but luckily for him, Goose knew where the exit was, he'd picked up Duck's scent and was aiming directly for his mate. He gave a deafening neigh as they exited the arena.
 
Hearing his friend's neigh and approaching hoof beats, Duck returned the neigh and all but pulled Joe off his feet. Seconds later the bay stallion appeared and a joyful reunion was taking place between the pair.
 
* * *
 
“Four faults for Treize Kushrenada and Tall Geese representing Australia.”
 
“Thank god that's over,” Zechs said and collapsed back against the chair he was slumped in.
 
“Way to go, Treize,” Duo added, his enthusiasm bubbling over, a wide grin on his face.
 
Heero was busy adding the score to the rest in his notebook. He gave a soft sigh as he noted the figures. “It's going to be a very close finish,” he stated.
 
“How close?” asked Duo as he peered at the notebook.
 
“Well, we still have the rest of the second riders to go and then the first. It all hinges on how those remaining riders score and which score the team managers choose to drop. Right now it's neck and neck between the American, British, French and us. It could go in anyone's favor.”
 
“Does it look like there will be a jump off?” Zechs all but whispered.
 
“I don't think there will be, unless it's for the individual gold,” replied Heero with a frown.
 
“I think I can live with that then,” Zechs sighed in relief.
 
“Poor guy,” Duo snickered. “I'm sure all this stress has added about five years to him.”
 
“More like ten,” Heero deadpanned.
 
“I'll remember that when you're pulling your hair out, Duo, whilst watching Heero jumping in his next big competition,” Zechs retorted. “And I certainly won't offer to remove the hair ball you'll no doubt have from chewing on the end of your braid either.”
 
“Ohhh, tetchy,” Duo teased.
 
“That's enough from you two for the moment, you can continue in the next commercial break. The British rider is about to jump,” Heero interrupted.
 
The three settled back again to continue watching the coverage.
 
* * *
 
It didn't take Noin and the others long to reach Treize and offer their congratulations, especially on the angle he'd taken jump nine at. Each of the riders had some comment to make and Treize found himself blushing with all the praise.
 
Goose was also given his fair share of the attention, pats and praise raining down on him from all the humans and he accepted it all with good grace. Duck felt a little put out by all the attention being focused on his 'mate' and showed it by pushing his nose forward and nudging whoever was close enough and demanding some of the pats for himself.
 
Once all the fuss died down and Treize had been well and truly 'grilled' over his round, the rest of the team returned to the main arena to watch the last of the rounds. Treize and Joe took Goose and Duck back to the stables to brush them both down and leave them to rest. Michael had gone back into the arena to watch a couple more rounds and returned to the stables to get Crackerjack ready just as Treize and Joe were finishing up. They chatted for a moment, Michael getting any last minute advice that he could before leaving to jump.
 
Returning to the arena, Treize was still on his adrenaline high and contemplated calling Zechs. He checked his watch and decided to wait until after all the second riders had finished. Settling back in his seat, he watched the Indian rider finish his round.
 
* * *
 
“What's the scores like?” asked Zechs as he returned from the bathroom.
 
“The British rider went really well, clear round. The French rider had four faults and I'm waiting for the rest of the results to be shown,” Heero replied as he looked in Zechs' direction.
 
“Ah. Okay, thanks. Where's Duo?”
 
“He's in the kitchen taking a call. Business, I think.”
 
“I hope it's not a call out. It would be awful if he had to go out and miss the last of the coverage,” Zechs said. He was all too familiar with call outs and the way they messed with a vet's social life. But it was all part of the job and even though it was annoying at times, it was also necessary.
 
Duo returned and placed the cordless phone back in its cradle. “Did I miss much?”
 
“No. I'm still waiting for the rest of the results to be given out and the coverage to continue,” replied Heero. “Is everything okay? You don't have to go out?”
 
“It's fine, no call out. Just Mrs Jones wanting to book her cat in to be spayed.”
 
“Good.” Heero reached out for Duo's hand and tugged the vet to sit back down on the sofa next to him.
 
The coverage changed from the weightlifting back to the equestrian; at the same time, Zechs' cell began to ring.
 
* * *
 
With the last of the second riders having finished their rounds, the course officials began the task of raking the ground and checking the jumps. Treize decided to make his call. He pulled the cell from his jacket pocket and flipping it open, dialed the number he knew by heart. Walking out of the arena and picking a secluded spot to the side of the warm up area, Treize waited for the call to connect.
 
“Merquise.”
 
“Missing me?”
 
“Treize?!”
 
“Yes, it's me. Why? Were you expecting someone else?” Treize chuckled lightly.
 
“You never know in my line of business,” replied Zechs. “Could be a call out.” Zechs stood and began to make his way out of the lounge room and into the kitchen. Duo gave him the thumbs up signal and a wide grin.
 
“Are you at home or work?”
 
“I'm at Duo and Heero's, watching the coverage of the jumping. I have to say that was some stunt you pulled over that jump.”
 
Treize laughed. “I'm just lucky it came off okay. Goose was wonderful.”
 
“He's some horse all right.”
 
“That he is. How are you?”
 
“I'm okay, work keeps me busy. I miss you,” Zechs said softly.
 
“I miss you too,” Treize replied.
 
“When are you coming home?”
 
“All being well, we should be flying back in another three days. The games don't conclude for another five, but I need to get back. I know Heero's been really good in keeping the horses worked at the stables, but I can't afford to be away for too much longer.”
 
“Once you have the details of flights confirmed, let me know. I can't wait to see you again.”
 
“I should have all that information by tomorrow. I'll call you as soon as I know. I'll let Otto know too as he will need to bring the float to the airport to pick us all up and take the horses to the quarantine station.”
 
“Okay, thanks.”
 
They continued to converse for a few more minutes until Treize reluctantly said he had to go. The final rounds of competition were beginning and he wanted to see how the remaining riders went. Also, Michael was going to need all the team support he could get. Exchanging soft words and promises that they would be back together soon, the call disconnected. Zechs stared at the cell for a couple of minutes before sighing and slipping it back into his pocket. He would be really glad when his lover was back home and in his arms again.
 
Duo called out from the lounge to let him know that the coverage was on again.
 
Feeling a little better after hearing his boyfriend's voice, Zechs returned to the lounge room and the coverage once more.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....