Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 32 ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 32
 
Stewards ushered the top three teams' grooms into the arena to hold the horses so the riders could dismount and take their respective places on the dais for the medal ceremony. Once all horses were secure, the riders all stood behind the dais and waited to be called forward.
 
“Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting the medals today is the president of the International Equestrian Federation; Mr Damion Greenfield. And now for the presentation. The bronze medal winners of the team showjumping competition; Australia!”
 
The four riders stepped up to take their place on the dais and waved to the cheering crowd. Noin stood just behind them, the smile on her face saying it all. The president shook each rider's hand in turn and congratulated them as he placed the medal around their neck. He then handed them a small bunch of flowers and moved on to the next person.
 
“The silver medal winners; The United States of America.”
 
Once more the cheers rose as the four Americans took their places. They each received their medals, congratulations and bunch of flowers then turned to wave to the crowd.
 
“The gold medal winners; Great Britain.”
 
Four very happy British riders stood tall and proud on the raised dais, accepting the congratulations from the president and their fellow riders with grace. Once they had received their medals, the commentator asked for silence as the national anthem was played and the flags for each country were raised. Even the horses seemed to know this was an important moment and were on their best behavior.
 
Once 'God Save the Queen' had finished playing, the arena erupted into applause and cheers again, the medal winners all waving and smiling at the crowd. The stewards came over and the riders were allowed to return to their horses, however, they weren't allowed to leave the arena just yet. There were still the individual medals to be announced and presented.
 
Treize and the rest of the team knew they probably weren't in the running, but they were curious to know who had taken out the placings.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, normally we would announce the placings and present the medals for the individual part of the showjumping competition. The gold and silver medals are already decided, however, we find ourselves with a four way tie for the bronze medal. Therefore there will be a jump off over a shortened course against the clock tomorrow to decide the winner of the bronze medal.”
 
The arena went quiet as the commentator paused for a moment. All teams could feel the electricity in the air as the anticipation built.
 
“The following riders have tied and will be required to jump off. From Germany; Ludwig Heffner. From Great Britain; Larry Hall. From the United States of America; Sean Fenton and from Australia; Phillip Martins.”
 
Phillip almost fell off his horse.
 
Noin grinned from ear to ear and the rest of the team all turned to congratulate Phillip who was still looking rather shell shocked. He was still on a euphoric high from winning the team bronze, now he had a chance at the individual as well.
 
“Way to go, Phillip,” Zoe said and smiled.
 
“Congratulations. You deserve another shot,” Treize said as he leaned over to give Phillip a friendly punch in the arm.
 
“Good for you, Phillip,” Michael congratulated, a smile from ear to ear on his face.
 
“The jump off course will be posted and ready to be walked at two o'clock tomorrow afternoon. The jump off will commence at two-thirty,” the commentator announced. “Thank you all.”
 
At that, the band began to play and the stewards directed the teams to leave the arena. The gold medal winners first, followed by the silver and bronze. The remaining teams followed on in order of finishing. Once everyone was back outside, the noise was tremendous. Light bulbs were flashing everywhere as the press closed in on the three medal placing teams. The reporters swarmed over the riders and coaches, all trying to get a few words from the various place getters and pictures to accompany their stories. The Aussies had their own fair share of attention and Noin fielded most of the questions, only allowing the team members to speak if she thought the question was appropriate.
 
They remained in the warm up area for a few minutes, allowing the media to have a little of their time before Noin announced the team would be taking their horses back to the stables to settle them for the evening. She did promise an interview with the entire team later that evening.
 
Treize, along with the others, groaned and wondered how the hell they could get out of this. The look Noin sent them though soon convinced them all that they didn't want to skip out or there would be severe retribution. Phillip really didn't want to deal with the press right now, he was still coming to terms with having made the jump off and wanted to quietly contemplate strategy for the following day's round. Looked like he wasn't going to get that solitude anytime soon.
 
The horses were rugged, fed and stabled for the evening, riders and grooms alike petting and praising their respective animals. None of the riders seemed in any hurry to leave the stable complex, but knowing they had to sooner or later; if they didn't, Noin would be on the warpath.
 
“Guess we should get going,” Phillip murmured as he gave Geronimo another apple.
 
“Suppose we should,” Michael replied and pulled on Crackerjack's ears.
 
Zoe just sighed and gave Periwinkle another sugar cube.
 
“The sooner we get going, the sooner the media circus will be over and done with and we can all sit back and relax,” Treize stated whilst Goose and Duck both tried to pick his pockets for carrots.
 
“Easy for you to say,” muttered Phillip.
 
“Ah, sorry. Maybe I should rephrase that to; the sooner the media circus is over and done with, the sooner the three of us can sit back and relax,” Treize corrected with a grin.
 
Phillip shook his head and started to walk off, muttering under his breath about smart assed team members. The rest of the group followed, chuckling quietly amongst themselves.
 
* * *
 
Back in Duo's lounge room, the three men had all watched the presentation ceremony, proud of their country and the riders that had represented them. When the Aussies climbed onto the dais to accept their medals, Zechs thought his chest was going to burst with love and pride for his boyfriend. He quickly had to wipe away a tear.
 
Heero was struggling with his own emotions. He was really happy and proud of the team and especially Treize. They had worked hard and deserved the placing. He couldn't help the small twinge of bitterness though. If fate hadn't intervened, it could well have been a different result. If Zero hadn't hurt his leg and been in the team, how would he have fared over the course? Would Zero have gone clear? Could he have made the end result different? Helped to win silver or even gold? Or would he have had so many penalties he wouldn't have been game to show his face again?
 
So many questions that would never have answers.
 
The bitter feeling at having been denied what he'd worked so damn hard for wouldn't leave, not that Heero begrudged any of the team their moment of glory. It just didn't seem fair sometimes. An arm slipped around his waist, Heero turned to look into Duo's eyes.
 
“You will get there, Heero,” Duo said softly. “I believe in you.”
 
How did Duo always know the right thing to say at the right time? Heero gave a small smile. “I'm sorry.”
 
“Nothing to be sorry for, Heero. It's quite natural and understandable that you would be feeling what you are right now.”
 
“No, I shouldn't be jealous, they all worked just as hard for this.”
 
“Fate works in mysterious ways, Heero. Maybe it felt you and Zero weren't ready for this, maybe it has other plans, bigger plans for you.”
 
“Then I wish fate or someone would tell me what the hell it's doing, messing with me like this.” It took Heero a lot to admit that he was hurting inside, that he was envious of Treize and the other riders.
 
Wrapping his arms securely around Heero, Duo soothed his lover with soft words and gentle caresses. “You will have your day, Heero. I promise you that. You wait and see, all this is leading up to something bigger and better for you, I can feel it.”
 
Heero had his doubts but quelled them. Now really wasn't the time for him to be getting all emotional and feeling sorry for himself. He should be happy for Treize and the others, and he was. He should be celebrating with Duo and Zechs, not moping around and thinking about maybes, ifs and what could have beens. It was over, finished and couldn't be changed. He needed to put it all behind him and work towards the future. Taking a deep breath he gave Duo a soft, reassuring kiss.
 
“I'm okay,” Heero said and pulled back slightly, just in time for the gold medal presentation.
 
Once all the medals were awarded, the three listened intently as the commentator explained what the situation was with the individual medal winners.
 
“Well, shit,” muttered Duo. “I wonder if they will show the jump off then?”
 
“I don't know,” replied Heero reaching for the television guide and flipping to the page to run his eyes over the listed programming. “Doesn't say anything in here, just that the Olympic coverage starts at eight and continues all day until ten at night.
 
“Why does that not surprise me?” Duo sighed with a roll of his eyes.
 
“Surely they would at least show the Aussie's round,” Zechs stated.
 
“One would think so, but this is the media we're talking about here,” Duo replied with some sarcasm.
 
“Speaking of the media, the coverage commentator just said they will be showing a media interview with the Australian team a little later. Maybe they will tell us a bit more then,” said Heero who was still flicking through the television guide and keeping one eye on the screen.
 
“We live in hope,” muttered Duo
 
* * *
 
The media circus wasn't as bad as the team had feared. Noin had obviously spoken with the reporters first and warned them about the sort of questions they could and couldn't ask. She also reserved the right to intervene or for the team to refuse to answer any question she didn't think was appropriate. The media agreed and the interview went ahead.
 
The usual questions were asked, things like; how had each of them felt about winning the bronze? How their horses had gone, what had they thought about the course? The usual, mundane things. Then the questions changed a little, Treize coming in for his fair share over the angle he'd taken over jump nine during his round. Lucky for Michael, the press didn't question him about his failed attempt at the same thing.
 
After half an hour of questions and answers, the press were happy with the results and wished Phillip all the very best for his jump off the following day. The team remained polite and thanked the press, then went on to say a thank you to all the people that had supported them through emails, cards and the like. It was a nice thing to know that there were many people back home in Australia that were following their competition and wishing them luck.
 
With that, the interview ended and the team was allowed to depart. First stop was the stables to check on the horses, then they all headed back to the Olympic village and one of the restaurants there for a celebratory dinner.
 
Dinner was a noisy affair, not just for the team, but the many other athletes that were celebrating or drowning their sorrows as the case may be. The Aussies all enjoyed a delicious meal but stuck to soft drinks as opposed to alcohol. Phillip couldn't drink as he needed all his wits on the following day and so the rest of the team decided to wait until the following evening when they could all enjoy a drop without any reservations.
 
* * *
 
The station showing the Olympic coverage back in Australia, showed the interview with the team, something Heero enjoyed watching.
 
At the conclusion of the interview, the station announced that they would endeavor to show as much of the jump off as they could during the following day's telecast. With the scheduled time being two-thirty for the jump off, the station would show a delayed telecast, coverage starting at three.
 
Heero did some quick calculations in his head and figured if he started work at Treize's and hour earlier, he could be finished and back at Duo's a little after two-thirty.
 
Zechs wondered if he would be able to get through all his calls and appointments and finish early enough to watch the telecast.
 
Duo knew he only had two cat spays booked in for afternoon surgery and if he managed to finish consults on time, he could start on them straight away and be done, cleaned up and the patients back in their recovery kennels by one-thirty.
 
* * *
 
Phillip wished the butterflies in his stomach would migrate - permanently. He was nervous and on edge, the pending jump off heavy on his mind. He'd worked Geronimo that morning whilst Noin had watched and offered advice, the skewbald had been full of energy and eager to please. That gave Phillip a little more confidence. After the workout, he'd sought out Treize and talked about the angle jump the other rider had pulled off the previous day. Treize patiently went through the way he'd ridden the course. Neither man knew what jumps would be in the jump off, but Phillip wanted to cover all bases. Treize offered to help the other rider out with a little practice if he wanted. Phillip accepted the offer, depending on what the course would be.
 
At one-fifty, Phillip, Noin and the rest of the team went to the arena to wait for the course plan and the order of jumping to be posted. Promptly at two, a steward placed a copy of the jump off course on the large bulletin board along with the jump off order and the competitors and coaches gathered around.
 
A few minutes later, Noin and Phillip joined the rest of the team in the warm up area.
 
“Well?!” demanded Zoe. “What is it?”
 
Phillip looked a little pale but otherwise okay. Treize gave him a sympathetic smile.
 
“It's going to be a tough one,” Noin said. “The jump off is; fences one, three, nine, ten A, B, C and thirteen. On a better note, Phillip will be jumping last.”
 
“Damn! They aren't taking any chances on a second tie, are they?” Treize said.
 
“You can say that again,” Phillip replied. “Treize?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“I'll be walking the course with Noin in a minute. I hoped,” Phillip swallowed. “Would you walk it with us too? I'd like to get your opinion on the best track to take and see if an angle jump may be of benefit.”
 
“Of course I will, if Noin says it's okay,” Treize replied. He felt quite honored that Phillip would ask for his help.
 
“Thanks.” Phillip found Noin and let her know what he wanted to do. Noin had no objection and when the steward announced the course open for walking the three entered the arena together.
 
They talked quietly amongst themselves as they walked from jump to jump. The heights and widths remained the same as they had for the second round of team competition, but it was going to be a tough course to save time on. Treize had a couple of ideas and made them known. Noin checked out what Treize proposed, along with Phillip and as Phillip knew his horse best, they figured out a strategy that they hoped would work.
 
Feeling much better now he had a plan, Phillip left the arena and went to find John, his groom, and Geronimo. Noin went with him to offer support whilst Treize went in search of the rest of the team in the stands. Zoe and Michael were a little put out when Treize wouldn't tell them exactly what Phillip was planning to do; but as Treize pointed out, it would all depend on how the other countries went as to which plan of action Phillip would implement. Noin joined them just as the commentator was beginning his spiel and like Treize, wouldn't divulge any further information.
 
Phillip was lucky in that he was jumping last. This way he did have a slight advantage, he would know exactly what he had to beat to take the bronze. He could only hope Geronimo was up to the challenge.
 
* * *
 
The sound of hard knocking came at Duo's back door, the vet calling out in answer. “It that you, Zechs?”
 
“Yes,” came the reply.
 
“Come in, door's unlocked.”
 
Zechs raced into the lounge room where Heero and Duo were already sitting, the television on and waiting eagerly.
 
“Has it started yet?” Zechs asked, a little out of breath.
 
“No. It should be on in a minute,” Duo replied. “You okay? You're looking a little red in the face and out of breath.”
 
“I'll be fine. Rushed through the last two cases so I could get a bit of time up my sleeve before the next case to watch this.”
 
“Oh? Playing hookey?” Duo teased.
 
“No, the cases I have are merely taking a little longer than anticipated. I called ahead to my next case and said I would be a little late.”
 
“Still sounds like hookey to me,” Duo snickered. “Makes me glad I'm the boss of myself and don't have to answer to anyone.”
 
“You better hope you don't get a call out then,” Zechs teased back.
 
“Not a chance. No way am I going to miss the jump off, call outs will have to wait.”
 
“Oh? That's not very professional.”
 
“He's got Hilde on call for anything that comes in,” Heero enlightened the blonde vet.
 
“Ah.”
 
“Thanks, Heero. Way to spoil a guy's fun.”
 
“You're welcome, Duo. Now leave Zechs alone. Look, the coverage is starting.”
 
With that, all thoughts of teasing disappeared and the three sat back to watch what promised to be an exciting jump off.
 
* * *
 
Ludwig Heffner was the first rider to jump and he made it clear from the onset that he was out to win the bronze. He started off steady, making a nice turn from one to three. He swung his horse out a little wide and it was clear to everyone he intended to try Treize's trick and angle jump nine. Moments later he was flying over jump nine on a forty-five degree angle, clearing it and setting himself up for the triple.
 
The three elements waited silently, the crowd was equally silent, no one wishing to disturb the concentration. The German rider checked his horse, drove the hind legs underneath and then three strides away, he gave the horse his head and rode at part A. They landed cleanly and the German had his horse back between hand and leg in readiness for part B. That was also cleared and the stallion pushed himself into the air again to clear part C.
 
Treize kept one eye on the rider and one on the electronic timer. It was going to be a good time and a hard round to beat if they cleared jump thirteen.
 
As soon as his horse's hooves touched down, the German was riding him forward and collecting him up. They sprinted between fences and were quickly bearing down on the final jump. Steadying his horse, Ludwig built up enough impulsion and then let the horse go. They soared into the air and landed safe on the other side. Immediately they were galloping for the finish to break the beam and stop the clock.
 
“Shit! That was a good round,” Zoe commented.
 
“It's going to be really hard to beat that,” Michael agreed.
 
“Clear, in a time of 35:26 seconds; Ludwig Heffner from Germany,” the commentator announced.
 
“Phillip's got his work cut out for him,” muttered Zoe. “What do you think he will do, Treize?”
 
“I'm not completely sure yet. It will depend on what the other riders do in their rounds.” They had agreed that should none of the other riders go clear, Phillip would do his best to go clear and not worry about the time. Seeing as how the German had gone clear, that now left one of two options open that they had discussed. Treize wasn't ready to share that information just yet though.
 
“Our next competitor, from the United States of America; Sean Fenton.”
 
Silence descended again as the tall American on his equally tall black gelding rode into the arena.
 
The bell rang and the American was on his way. They broke the timer beam as they passed through the start and headed for jump one. It was successfully cleared and the pair headed for jump three. By Treize's calculations, they were about a second behind the German at this point in the course.
 
Jump three was cleared and the pair were aiming for jump nine. The American was also planning on angling the jump, that much was clear by the direction he took.
 
“Looks like they're all going to try and angle that jump,” Michael muttered.
 
“I agree with you there,” Zoe replied and watched as the black gelding lined the jump up.
 
The pair didn't quite come into the fence right and although the horse did his best, the top pole came crashing down.
 
“Four faults,” Michael whispered, trying to keep the joy out of his voice.
 
The American soon pulled himself together though and the pair cleared all three elements of the triple. The clock was ticking by, counting down the seconds as the black stretched out and then slowed to jump the final fence; thirteen. The gelding pushed off, reaching for the height of the fence and just scraping over the top of it. Once they landed, they galloped for the finish.
 
The beam broke and the clock stopped.
 
“Four faults and a time of 46:53 for Sean Fenton.”
 
* * *
 
“Two down and two to go,” Heero said as he leaned back on the couch and stretched.
 
“It's a close competition,” Zechs remarked.
 
“Sure is. I hope the Aussie does okay though. It would be nice to have another medal to add to the tally,” Duo said as he took advantage of Heero's stretch to curl under the rider's arm and rest his head against Heero's chest.
 
“That it would,” replied Heero as he dropped his arm to cuddle Duo closer.
 
* * *
 
“I'll be right back,” Treize said and got up from his seat to hurry out to the warm up area.
 
“Where are you going?” Zoe asked.
 
“Just need to have a quick word with Phillip,” Treize replied and before anyone could question him further, he was gone. Treize's eyes scanned the warm up area and alighted on Phillip who was walking Geronimo around. Waving, he headed for the pair who rode over to meet him.
 
“I suppose you know the results so far?” Treize questioned.
 
“Yes.”
 
“I'd suggest on that basis, you stick with option two, it will give you a better shot at a good time if you can do it.”
 
Phillip patted Geronimo's neck. “The way he's feeling, I'd say we have a good chance.”
 
“Good luck.”
 
“Thanks, Treize.”
 
Treize left the rider to walk his horse around and returned to his seat just as the British rider was passing through the start flags. Noin raised an eyebrow and Treize nodded in response.
 
“All this secret stuff is starting to annoy me,” Zoe muttered to Michael.
 
“Me too,” Michael replied. “You think if we keep harping, they will tell us?”
 
“Couldn't hurt,” Zoe grinned.
 
Larry Hall, the British rider, started off reasonably fast, but kept his horse balanced. Jump one and three were cleared, but Larry didn't try to angle jump nine. Either he wasn't about to take the risk, or his horse didn't jump angles very well. Either way his horse approached the jump dead center and cleared it. The triple was next with part A cleared, a stride and then part B also cleared. Landing after the second element, Larry's horse tried to put in an extra stride, found he couldn't and was forced to take off practically right at the base of part C. It was an impossible ask and the horse, although game, sent poles flying in all directions when his front hooves caught them on the take off.
 
The horse managed to come away from the jump without injury, but it clearly upset him and Larry had his hands full trying to calm the animal and get him together for the final jump. Unfortunately, the horse didn't have quite enough impulsion and sent the bricks scattering.
 
“Eight faults and a time of 50:16 for Larry Hall of Great Britain,” the commentator announced.
 
Both Zoe and Michael pounced on Treize and Noin, demanding to know what Phillip was going to try and do.
 
With a sigh, Treize filled them in. “Everyone has been trying to save time by angling jump nine. Phillip isn't going to do that, it's too risky with the triple following on. What he plans to do is get a sharp turn onto three and angle that. He'll pass between thirteen and three, swing his horse and angle jump three. If he pulls it off, he should save himself a couple of seconds.”
 
“Sneaky,” Zoe had to admit. “No one's gone between those two jumps, they've all ridden on and passed between jumps two and three.”
 
“Exactly. By going the other way, Phillip will make a right turn to come into three and take it on the angle.”
 
Michael and Zoe could both see the logic in that and hoped Geronimo and Phillip could do it. They didn't have long to wonder though as Phillip rode into the arena.
 
“Our last rider, from Australia; Phillip Martins.”
 
The bell went and Phillip collected his horse up. He ran a hand over the skewbald neck, the muscles quivering beneath. Geronimo cocked back an ear to listen to his master's low voice.
 
“This one's a tough one, boy. We have to get it right, no second chances.”
 
Passing through the start, the beam broke, the clock started and Phillip was on his way. Jump one appeared before them, Geronimo clearing it easily. As soon as his hooves touched dirt, Phillip was there, his seat, leg and hand checking the skewbald's forward movement and turning him to the left. Geronimo responded, turning easily and gathering momentum.
 
With jump three on his right, Phillip waited until they were four strides past it, then asked his horse for a sharp turn. The skewbald dropped his hind quarters and practically spun on the spot before pushing forward for three strides then soaring into the air at an angle of forty degrees.
 
“I can't watch,” said Zoe and shut her eyes.
 
“He's clear,” Michael murmured, feeling the excitement mounting.
 
The rest of the spectators were equally astounded and impressed by the different way the course was being approached. The anticipation was building to the point where everyone could feel it.
 
“Good boy!” Phillip praised as Geronimo angled the jump perfectly and landed clean on the other side. They were directly in line for jump nine and Phillip rode his horse together. Muscles bunched and flexed under the brown and white hide, stride lengthened and Geronimo was airborne again.
 
* * *
 
“Now that's interesting,” Heero remarked with a raised eyebrow. “Smart move too.”
 
“Translation, please?” Duo requested.
 
“Phillip has taken a different track to the other competitors and angled jump three. It's put him in a perfect position for the following jump and shaved seconds from his time.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“What's his time like?” Zechs asked.
 
“Pretty much the same as the German's time. If he goes clear, it will be a close finish.”
 
All three men shifted subtly to the edge of their seats and focused on the telecast.
 
* * *
 
Jump nine was also cleared, Geronimo landing safely and bounding eagerly away. Phillip used his seat to slow the horse then with a steady yet firm grip on the reins, he pushed hard with his legs, building Geronimo's impulsion and holding it in check. The triple lay ahead, daunting and solid. Phillip concentrated hard, knowing he had to go clear. Keeping Geronimo firmly between hand and leg, the skewbald was almost bouncing on the spot before Phillip deemed them ready and let the gelding go.
 
Geronimo exploded into action, pushing forward and then leaping into the air. He sailed over part A and landed, the impulsion being immediately contained by his master's legs and hands. The skewbald allowed his rider to guide him, took a stride and then launched himself over part B. Poles passed beneath his two toned belly and forelegs stretched out to absorb the impact of landing. Hind legs touched down, hocks driving hard underneath and pushing the horse and rider forward to the final element. Ears cocked, Geronimo dug his hooves in hard and his hind quarters propelled his body once more into the air. He stretched to reach the width, successfully gained it and was then coming back to earth.
 
As soon as he landed, Geronimo felt the pressure and shift of his rider's seat and leg, instinctively obeying it. A brown and white blur galloped between fences and headed for jump thirteen.
 
Treize glanced at the clock. “It's going to be close,” he muttered to Noin.
 
“Very close. I hope he retains enough of his concentration and clears this last jump,” Noin replied. Her heart was hammering in her chest as she willed the pair on.
 
Sitting deep into his saddle, Phillip used his weight along with a steady pressure to Geronimo's mouth to bring the gelding back to hand. The wall lay ahead, shimmering red bricks and on the other side; the finish.
 
“Last one, boy. Let's show them all what we're made of, eh?”
 
Geronimo wuffled and tossed his head. The excitement raced through his blood and he was eager to jump. Lining up the wall, Geronimo bounded forward, one, two, three strides and the skewbald body was in the air again. The wall flashed beneath them, all bricks remaining in place and then the pair were landing again. As soon as his horse had all four feet on the ground, Phillip gave the skewbald his head and drove his legs hard against the animal's sides. Geronimo responded, flattening out and becoming a missile as he galloped flat out for the finish.
 
The clock counted down the seconds; 32... 33... 34...
 
And then they were through, the beam broken and the clock stopped.
 
“Yes!” yelled Zoe and jumped up from her seat. She spun around and kissed a surprised Michael on the lips.
 
Treize couldn't hold the grin, relief sweeping over him.
 
Noin slumped in her chair, happiness flooding her system as she fought back tears of joy.
 
“A clear round for Phillip Martins in a time of 34:47. Ladies and gentlemen, Phillip Martins from Australia is the individual bronze medal winner by half a second!”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.........