Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 33 ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 33
 
Phillip's vision was blurry, tears of joy momentarily blinding him as he let the emotion of the moment wash over him. He didn't need to look at the clock to know he'd done it, the cheers from the crowd and then the commentator's announcement confirmed it for him. He took a hand off the reins to swipe at his eyes and then pat his horse as he slowed their pace.
 
“Good, boy. You're the best, Geronimo.”
 
A brown ear flicked back as the gelding allowed his master to slow his pace. He knew he'd been good, he could tell from the tone of his master's voice and the sounds of excitement all around him.
 
Managing to bring his horse back to a trot and then exit the arena, Phillip found himself surrounded by well wishers and lots of flashbulbs from the press. He accepted the congratulations as he managed to weave his way through the crowd and try to get a bit of breathing space for both himself and his horse. He could see John, his groom, waving frantically at him from the side and somehow managed to get to the groom. Immediately he brought his horse to a halt, the press were there.
 
Phillip was overwhelmed by the questions that were being fired at him from all directions and a little bewildered by it all. He really just wanted to see to his horse first. Fortunately for Phillip, he heard a familiar voice barking its way through the crowd and pushing the reporters back.
 
“Please, gentlemen, you will all get an opportunity to speak with Mr Martins shortly. Kindly allow him a few minutes to see to his horse and then you will have your chance,” Noin said in her authoritative tone. The press backed off a little but didn't go far. “Vultures,” Noin hissed under her breath and then turned to face Phillip properly. “Congratulations.”
 
“Thanks, but if it hadn't been for yours and Treize's advice and help, Geronimo and I wouldn't have been successful. I owe you one.”
 
“That's what we're here for,” Noin replied as she gave the rider a hug.
 
“Phillip, you were great!” Zoe enthused and wrapped her arms around her fellow rider in a warm hug.
 
"Thanks," Phillip muttered, his cheeks turning red with all the attention.
 
"Well done, mate. You deserved to win," Michael said as he held out his hand to shake his friend's.
 
"I couldn't have done it without the support of all you guys," Phillip replied.
 
Treize stepped forward, a huge smile on his face and his blue eyes twinkling. "That was some riding out there. Well done."
 
"It wasn't just me, Geronimo was fantastic and if you hadn't suggested what you did and walked me through it, then I don't think I'd be where I am right now. I owe you, Treize, you and Noin."
 
"If we can't help a fellow rider then we aren't much good to the sport," Treize replied with another grin. "Congratulations, you really deserved the win."
 
* * *
 
Back in Duo's lounge room the cheers were ringing loudly through the house. All three men had been on the edge of their seats as Phillip rode the round of his life. Zechs had been wringing his hands, Heero moving subtly as if riding the horse himself whilst Duo had been sitting on his hands to avoid chewing his fingernails any further. As Phillip cleared the last fence and galloped for the finish all three men were urging him on. The commentator for the television station was equally excited.
 
"With only one fence left to jump, can Martins hang on, clear it and bring home the individual bronze for Australia? Time is looking really close, and yes, he's in the air. What a magnificent jump! And now to the finish. Will he make it...? Yes! Yes! Yes, ladies and gentlemen! Phillip Martins from Australia has won the bronze medal for the individual show jumping by half a second! How close is that?!"
 
"Too fucking close, but he did it and that's all that matters!" Duo cheered and jumped off his seat to punch the air.
 
Heero also jumped up and grabbed his boyfriend around the waist, lifting him up off the ground and swinging him in the air. "He did it! He got the bronze!" Heero was just as excited and pleased for Phillip as if he'd won the medal himself.
 
Letting out a long sigh, Zechs relaxed with a smile on his face. While he wasn't into the sport as much as Heero, or remotely close to Duo's understanding of it, he could appreciate good horsemanship when he saw it; Treize had taught him a lot and he was still learning. He was really looking forward to having his own lover back and safe in his arms and showing the Olympic rider exactly how much he'd missed him.
 
"This calls for a celebration!" Duo announced when he'd finished kissing Heero breathless. "I'm sure I have a bottle of wine somewhere around here."
 
"Duo? I'm still on duty," Zechs reminded the other vet.
 
"I know, technically, so am I, but don't worry, it's non-alcoholic," Duo returned as he left to locate the bottle of wine.
 
"Well, in that case I won't say no," Zechs chuckled.
 
* * *
 
The arena had been cleared of all jumps and the dais set up once more for the medal presentations. Noin had fended off the press, promising them an interview with Phillip after the ceremony had taken place. That seemed to satisfy the media and Phillip alike. Phillip was still on cloud nine, the win still sinking in.
 
At last everything was ready for the presentation and Phillip, along with his fellow competitors, entered the arena, their grooms beside them ready to hold their horses once the riders were called forth. Geronimo could sense this was important and had both ears cocked, his eyes wide and gave the occasional snort followed by a couple of dancing steps.
 
“Show off,” Phillip muttered to his horse but gave the animal a soft pat anyway.
 
They came to a halt and dismounted, John taking the reins and holding onto Geronimo proudly.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen...” The commentator made his speech, introducing the people who would be presenting the medals. Treize and the others didn't take much notice, the speech was the same as the one given the previous day when they received their medals. “And now, in third place, the bronze medal winner with a final score of four penalties, representing Australia; Phillip Martins.”
 
The cheers went up from the crowd as a grinning Phillip stepped up on the dais to receive his medal. He shook hands with the president of the F.E.I., accepted the medal around his neck and accompanying bunch of flowers. Then he straightened and waved to the crowd.
 
“He's loving this way too much,” Michael muttered to Zoe.
 
Zoe snickered. “Jealous?”
 
“Of course,” came the reply.
 
Zoe couldn't help but laugh.
 
“In second place, the silver medal winner with a final score of two penalties, representing the United States of America; Simon Perry.”
 
Cheers and applause rang out once more as the American rider stepped up to accept his medal. Once the noise died down again, the commentator continued.
 
“And in first place, our gold medal winner. With a final score of zero penalties, representing Great Britain; Andrew Morton.”
 
Once all the presentations were done with, the arena went quiet as the respective nations' flags were raised and the national anthem of Great Britain resonated all around. Once all the formalities were completed, the three riders stepped off the dais and mounted their horses. Led by the British rider, they went for a victory lap around the arena.
 
* * *
 
Zechs tossed his keys to the small table and toed his shoes off. He gave his toes a wriggle and sighed softly. Walking through to the kitchen, he opened the 'fridge and peered inside. His eyebrows knitted together as he observed the sorry state of the 'fridge. “I think I need to do some grocery shopping,” he muttered to himself. “Dinner... Looks like it's going to be eggs, or eggs.” Pulling the carton out of the interior, he searched around and was able to locate a smallish piece of cheese. “Omelet,” he stated, satisfied with his find. With the omelet cooking nicely in the pan, Zechs dug out a bottle of red wine and opened it. Leaving the wine to breathe a little, he finished making his dinner and then carried the plate, wine glass and bottle through to the lounge room and turned on the television.
 
Sitting back, he took a sip of his wine and then began to eat. There was a movie on and Zechs watched it, only half interested in it as his mind wandered to his lover. He'd just finished his meal and placed the plate to the side when his phone rang.
 
“Please don't let it be a call out,” he said under his breath and picked up the receiver. “Doctor Merquise.”
 
“Hello, Zechs.”
 
“Treize?!”
 
“Missing me?”
 
“Of course. When are you coming home?” Zechs moved back to the couch and picked up his wine glass.
 
“That's what I was calling you for. Our plane leaves tomorrow afternoon. If all goes according to plan we should arrive at Sydney airport at eight in the evening.”
 
Zechs felt the relief and excitement wash over him. He would get to see his lover soon.
 
“Otto will pick us up and from there we will take the horses to the quarantine station. Once they're settled, I'll be on my way home.”
 
“What time do you think you will be back at home?”
 
“Not sure. We have to get through customs and immigration first, then there's quarantine, not just the horses, but all the gear too. By the time that's all sorted out I'm guessing it will probably be close to midnight or one in the morning before we make it back to the stables.”
 
“Ah.” Zechs' mind was already ticking over.
 
“I'll call you the following morning to let you know we're back okay. You have work and I don't want you coming to the airport to meet us, or wait up for me to return as it's not fair to you when you have to go to work.”
 
“That's okay.”
 
The conversation continued for a while, Treize letting Zechs know all about Phillip, his round and the emotion shared between them all. Zechs listened and made comments in all the right places, but his mind was feverishly working on another plan. Finally, Treize said he had to go and reluctantly they said their goodbyes.
 
Settling the phone back into its cradle, Zechs took another sip of his wine and finished making his plans.
 
* * *
 
Heero walked the mare back towards the stables. He was pleased with the way she'd gone and hoped that Treize would see an improvement in her when he got back. His mind switched to Zero. The advert for Zero's stud services would be coming out next week and he wondered what sort of response he would get - if any.
 
Otto stepped out of Romeo's stable as he heard the clatter of iron shod hooves in the stable courtyard. He smiled at Heero and went over to assist the young rider in removing the mare's saddlery. “Treize called earlier.”
 
“He did? When is he coming back?”
 
“They're leaving Hong Kong this afternoon. Should be at Sydney around eight this evening.”
 
“That's great. Are you going to pick him and the horses up? Do you need a hand?”
 
“Yes, I will be going to pick him up and thanks for the offer, but I will be fine. By the time we get the horses unloaded off the plane and out to the quarantine station, it will be late.”
 
“Okay then, but if you need any help, just ask, I'm happy to be of assistance.”
 
“Thank you. Romeo could do with a little flat work before you go today.”
 
“Okay. I'll take him out next then.”
 
“Leave Virgo, I'll see to her,” said Otto.
 
“Right you are.” Heero left the mare in the groom's capable hands and went to saddle up Romeo.
 
* * *
 
The horses had all loaded well, it seemed as if they knew they were heading home and didn't put up any fuss when they were led into their specially prepared 'crates'. Even Duck walked calmly in, much to Treize's relief. He'd suffered enough teasing over the mini pony and didn't need to be carrying the pony into his crate as well! With the horses all loaded up and secure in the belly of the plane, it was time to clear customs and board the aircraft themselves.
 
Zoe and Noin were traveling back with Treize, Michael and Phillip would be flying out later back to Europe to continue their careers on the show jumping circuit there. Treize and Noin bid their fellow team members good bye and promised to stay in touch. Then they left Zoe to say her own good byes. Noin waited discreetly just inside the boarding gates while Treize headed for the duty free shop to pick up a couple of things.
 
It was an emotional good bye for Zoe. Michael had really captured her heart and she was understandably upset at having to leave. “You'll write and call me?”
 
“Of course. I'll email you every day and call you each week,” Michael replied as he held Zoe tenderly in his arms.
 
“I'm going to miss you terribly.”
 
“I'll miss you too.” Michael kissed Zoe and then murmured softly. “I'll be returning to Australia in about six months. I hope you'll wait for me.”
 
“Of course I will. I'll be counting down the days.”
 
A discreet cough caught their attention and Phillip appeared beside them. “I hate to interrupt, but the attendant there is motioning for Zoe to go and board the plane.”
 
With tears in her eyes, Zoe kissed her boyfriend deeply. “I'll be waiting.”
 
“Love you,” said Michael as he let her go.
 
“Love you too,” Zoe replied and then before she could upset herself any more, Zoe turned and walked through the boarding gates.
 
Noin didn't say anything, just placed a comforting arm around the other woman's shoulders and led them to where Treize was waiting, duty free bag in hand. Treize didn't say anything either, he simply nodded and then led the way to the plane.
 
They buckled up into their seats after a quick check of the horses and settled in for the flight home. The doors were closed and sealed, the aircraft began to move and head out for the runway. Within minutes they were airborne.
 
* * *
 
Zechs stepped out of the shower and began to dry himself off. Moving through to the bedroom, he dressed casually in a pair of charcoal slacks and pale gray shirt. He slipped on a pair of loafers and brushed out his pale locks. A touch of cologne was added and Zechs was ready. He glanced at the clock; the hands pointed to ten-fifteen. Picking up his wallet and keys, he made a stop in the kitchen to grab the bottle of Cabernet Merlot and with a grin, exited the house.
 
The roads were familiar to him as he wove through the darkened countryside to Treize's residence. He'd managed to change his shift the following day and would now do the afternoon one instead of the day as he usually did. That way he could sleep in a bit and spend some time with his lover.
 
His face lit up with a wide grin, his heart fluttering in his chest as he thought about Treize. It had been a while since they'd seen each other and even though they had kept in contact via the phone, it wasn't the same and Zechs longed to hold his lover, feel the hard body in his arms, smell the scent of the other man and taste those sweet lips. He felt his groin tighten with anticipation. He'd called Jenny, Treize's housekeeper earlier that day and arranged for her to leave the back door key for him in a pre-arranged spot. Driving up the sweeping drive that led to Treize's home, Zechs made sure to park his car well out of sight. He wanted to surprise his lover.
 
Jenny had left the key for him and Zechs let himself in. He took the bottle of wine through to the lounge room where he turned the lights down low. Setting the bottle on the table, he moved to the small bar in the corner of the room and located two crystal wine glasses. A cork screw was grabbed and Zechs set his prizes down on the table alongside the bottle of wine. It was eleven according to the clock on the wall and Zechs wasn't too sure how much time would pass before Treize made it home, so he made himself comfortable on the couch and turned on the television. Keeping the volume low, he flicked around the channels until he found an old movie and settled back to watch. He'd open the wine soon and let it breathe. Hopefully, Treize wouldn't be too much longer in getting back home.
 
* * *
 
The plane touched down at Sydney airport ten minutes ahead of schedule. Once they had taxied into the allocated area for stock unloading, Noin, Treize and Zoe, along with the grooms, grabbed their hand luggage and exited the plane. They were met by an immigration official who took their passports and paperwork, checked it all and then handed it back after stamping it. He offered congratulations to the two team members and their coach before pointing them in the direction to collect their baggage and clear customs. Once they had done that, they would be allowed to collect their horses and gear, all still under the watchful eyes of quarantine and customs.
 
The customs check was dealt with quickly, all members being mindful of the very strict quarantine laws Australia had in place and therefore declaring anything that may be a risk. All was passed okay and with their luggage either on a trolley or wheeling alongside them, the group followed the instructions of the officers and found themselves in the stock control terminal. Otto was waiting for Treize, Jacob, Carol's husband, was waiting for Zoe and Carol. Noin didn't have anyone picking her up, she'd left her car in the long term car park so all she had to do was collect it.
 
The group went through all the formalities once more with the horses, only this time all the gear they had with them that was used for the horses was placed into large, sealed bags and tagged for quarantine. A quarantine officer was assigned to the two riders and their horses and once the horses were off the plane and loaded into the horse floats, the officer fetched his own car and escorted them to the nearest quarantine facility. Noin had bid them farewell once all the paperwork relating to the horses had been handled and promised to call them in a few days to make sure everyone had settled back home okay.
 
With Australia being an island and fairly isolated from the rest of the world, it was free of many of the diseases that plagued other countries such as foot and mouth. The authorities intended to keep it that way, thus the stringent laws that were in place. Goose, Duck and Periwinkle would spend the next six weeks at the quarantine facility; should they have picked up any disease at all, then it would be sure to show itself in that period of time and could be prevented from passing on out into the community.
 
The convoy arrived at the quarantine facility and the horses were all unloaded and settled into their temporary stables. The grooms that would be looking after the animals appeared to get all the information they would need on the horses in order to look after them properly. Treize had already arranged for Joe to stay at the facility with Goose and Duck for the next six weeks. It wasn't that he didn't trust the authorities, but he preferred to have someone the horses knew to be looking after them. Besides, Goose was still in top working condition and would need to be exercised daily to avoid a condition known as 'tying up'. When horses were in peak physical condition and used to being worked every day, to suddenly stop all work was asking for trouble, trouble that usually appeared in the form of cramping muscles and bad swelling of the legs. Joe was a capable enough rider to be able to give Goose the exercise he needed each day and at the same time, slowly bring the horse down from peak condition so that by the end of the quarantine time, Goose would be able to return to Treize's and enjoy a few months off from work.
 
Joe would work with the other groom allocated to look after Duck and Goose, and that was fine with him. Once the horses had been settled, all the gear needed to be off loaded and also stored in quarantine. Most of it would be fumigated and then after a few days would be released to Treize.
 
Once all the formalities had been gone through, Joe settled into the temporary living quarters and Zoe bid farewell, Treize and Otto climbed back into the gooseneck for the trip back to the stables. It was eleven in the evening and Treize was beginning to feel the strain catching up with him. He really wanted nothing more that to take a hot shower and collapse into bed.
 
They reached the stables and Otto drove through to the back to park the gooseneck. Treize thanked the groom and bid him good night. Picking up his bag, Treize walked towards the house, he could see the dim light shining from the lounge room and assumed that Jenny had left a light on for him. He smiled to himself at that thought and let himself into the house. Dropping his bag for the moment, Treize decided to partake of a nightcap before his shower and retiring for the night. His bag could wait until morning. Walking towards the lounge room, Treize's ears picked up on the low drone of the television and wondered just who was in his house.
 
He had his answer a moment later when he stepped into the lounge and spotted his lover lying to one side on the couch, sound asleep. He smiled to himself as his pulse quickened. Walking softly across the carpet, he crouched beside his lover and lowered his lips to meet Zechs'. He kissed the vet lightly and then returned for a second helping.
 
Zechs' sleep fogged mind slowly began to wake up. He'd been having a lovely dream, one where Treize was with him and they were sharing kisses, and he really didn't want to wake up from it. Sleepy blue eyes opened and stared straight into the amused blue of his boyfriend. “Treize?”
 
"I thought I told you not to bother with coming over or waiting up for me?"
 
"Needed to see you," Zechs replied as he managed to wake himself a little more. "I missed you and didn't want to wait until tomorrow. Deal with it." Zechs leaned forward and stole a kiss.
 
"As much as you shouldn't have, I'm glad you did," Treize murmured softly. "God, I missed you."
 
Zechs tugged Treize until the other man was sitting on the couch beside him. He then reached for the bottle of wine and poured two glasses. Handing one to Treize, he raised his and proposed. "To your success and safe return home."
 
"I like the sound of the home bit," Treize chuckled as they clinked their glasses.
 
"Good, because I intend to take you to bed and show you exactly just how much I've missed you."
 
"Don't you have work tomorrow?"
 
"I do, but I swapped shifts. I'm working the afternoon shift so there's plenty of time for a lie-in," Zechs replied and added a sultry look to go with his words.
 
"Then I guess we shouldn't waste the opportunity." Treize lowered his glass to the coffee table. "I need a shower though."
 
"Fancy saving water?"
 
Treize raised an eyebrow.
 
"Bathe with a friend?" Zechs teased.
 
"I'll wash your back if you wash mine?" Treize countered.
 
"I'll do more than wash your back."
 
* * *
 
Heero didn't expect Treize to be present in the stables when he arrived for work that morning and so wasn't disappointed when he didn't see his boss until ten that morning. Heero had worked Virgo and was just finishing up with Romeo when Treize appeared. Heero was due for a break so the pair sat together in the small lunch room and shared a coffee and conversation.
 
Treize gave Heero a run down on the competition, the course and what his fellow riders had been like. Heero was keen to learn all he could and quizzed Treize endlessly on the tactics used when riding in the jump off.
 
Treize was happy to answer all Heero's questions as best he could without going into a lot of detail as Heero still had horses to work and time wasn't standing still. Once Heero was happy with his answers, Treize asked questions of his own. He wanted to know what had been happening with the horses in his absence, how their education was coming along and had there been any problems. Heero filled his boss in as best he could and then went to saddle up the next horse. Treize found Otto and had the groom bring him up to speed on the other side of the business.
 
* * *
 
The next couple of weeks passed quickly for Heero. Treize had started to bring more horses back into work so Heero was kept quite busy. Heero didn't mind, he was still learning a lot and that all helped him with his schooling of Shinigami at home. Three weeks after Treize's return, Heero was heading home to his lover, heart light and feeling content with his life right now. Pulling off the road and down the driveway that would take him to the back of the house he shared with Duo, Heero gazed out across the paddocks at the horses grazing there.
 
Parking the car, he got out and was planning on checking Zero when a braided whirlwind came out of the back door and nearly bowled him over. "Duo?" Heero asked as he caught his lover in his arms.
 
"Heero! Look, look," Duo shouted excitedly and waved something in front of Heero's face.
 
"I will if you can hold it still long enough," Heero replied, a little amused at his partner's antics.
 
"Sorry," Duo said and managed to compose himself long enough to stand still and thrust the magazine into Heero's hands. "There." Duo pointed.
 
Heero took the magazine and looked it over. "Well, shit."
 
"Turned out really good, didn't it?"
 
Heero had to admit, it did. He was looking at the advert he'd placed in the Hoofbeats magazine for Zero standing at stud. The company had printed the advert exactly as he'd asked them to. Looking at it in full color it did stand out.
 
"I was in town picking up some supplies when I stopped at the newsagents. I saw it in the rack so I grabbed it for you."
 
"Thanks." Heero stared again at the advert as if still trying to comprehend that it was actually his.
 
"Now I guess all you have to do is sit back and wait for the phone to ring." Duo was clearly excited.
 
"Let's not get too carried away, Duo. The magazine's only just come out and it will take a while for people to read it, let alone look at the adverts. Then we have to assume that someone is looking for a stallion to put their mare to and hope they pick Zero."
 
"Ah, piffle,” Duo snorted.
 
"Piffle?"
 
Duo snickered. "Couldn't think of anything else to say. You wait and see, Heero. I'll bet that phone is ringing off the hook with people that want to book Zero for their mare by tomorrow afternoon."
 
"I think I might have to take you up on that bet."
 
"Really?"
 
"Hai."
 
"You're on, buddy. I'll bet you a blow job that the phone rings and you have a mare booked to Zero by tomorrow night."
 
Heero nearly choked.
 
Duo grinned unrepentantly at him. "If Zero has a mare booked to him by tomorrow night, you give me a blow job. If he hasn't, then I'll give you one."
 
"But, Duo?"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"We give each other blow jobs anyway."
 
"Yeah, I know, but right now I can't come up with anything better," Duo snickered.
 
Heero resisted the urge to roll his eyes and sighed instead.
 
"Is it a bet then?"
 
"Okay, it's a bet."
 
"Great!" Duo wrapped his arms around Heero and proceeded to kiss the rider thoroughly. Releasing him when air became a vital necessity, Duo kissed the tip of Heero's nose before turning to return to the house. "Gotta go. I've got a couple of animals in the recovery kennels that I need to check on. See you soon." Duo sauntered off, braid swinging behind him and a bewildered Heero watching.
 
"Why do I think I've been duped here?" he asked himself and shook his head. Slipping the keys into his pocket, Heero turned and went to check on Zero as he'd intended when he'd first pulled up.
 
That evening, Duo won the bet.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...