Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 44 ( Chapter 44 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 44
 
The days rolled on and soon it was time for Heero and Shinigami's last, big show. This was the final one that the selectors would be at and Heero was determined to make a good showing. Not only did all his hopes of making the Nations Cup team and consequently his chance at the future Olympics hang in the balance, but Zero's stud career too.
 
There was a lot of interest in Zero's offspring and with Shinigami being the only one currently old enough to be ridden, they were even more under the spotlight.
 
Relena had contacted Heero a couple of days after her visit and arranged to have one of her top brood mares sent to be served by Zero. The mare, Star of Sanq, was by Peacemillion out of a mare called Sanq and had an excellent conformation.
 
Relena was also spreading the word on Zero and the quality foals he was throwing causing another surge of calls for Heero to deal with. Patiently he'd explained that he wouldn't be taking any mares that season, but people would be more than welcome to contact him for the following breeding season. When asked what Zero's stud fee was, Heero had taken Relena's advice and replied it was not decided as yet.
 
It made sense and Duo had agreed when Heero had told him of Relena's advice. She'd suggested waiting until Heero was ready to advertise again and depending on how Shinigami had gone through the season, then put his price on. She'd also suggested he raise the fee to four thousand per mare.
 
Heero had almost fainted when she'd suggested that amount.
 
Duo did faint.
 
“A lot depends on us today, Shini,” Heero said as he brushed the gray stallion in readiness for saddling up to warm up. Duo had disappeared to refill the water bucket and Heero was alone with his horse for the moment.
 
Shinigami gave a soft wuffle. He was now a lot like his sire when attending shows. As he'd matured, he'd also settled and now took the hustle and bustle of the showground in his stride. Heero was grateful for that, a horse was much easier to handle when it was calm. Shini also loved to jump, like his father and he would practically snort with joy when he saw the fences.
 
Heero had walked the course earlier with both Treize and Zoe, his employer and friend also competing and vying for selection. Treize had Romeo and Zoe, Lion.
 
It would be a hard fought competition.
 
Treize also had Virgo and Altron at the show, along with a youngster Treize was bringing through the grades, Scorpio. Virgo had competed earlier in the C grade class and managed to finish a respectable third. Heero had been pleased with the mare's efforts.
 
Scorpio had made it through to the jump off in the D grade event, but Treize didn't push him for speed so they ended up fifth. Treize was happy with that though as it was only the stallion's third show.
 
Altron was currently in B grade and had also gone well. He was a nice horse to ride, steady and sure, but lacked that 'fire' that Zero, Romeo and Shinigami had. He'd gone clear and finished second in his class. Treize had had an inquiry from a fellow competitor regarding Altron and Heero knew it was only a matter of time before the big brown would be sold to a new owner. He would miss the horse, but that was the way of things at Treize's stable.
 
“Feeling okay?”
 
The question drew Heero from his thoughts and he turned to see Duo had returned with the full water bucket and was watching him intently. “I'm fine,” Heero replied.
 
“You sure?” Duo questioned. “You're looking a little tired.”
 
“I was just thinking.”
 
“Now that could be dangerous,” Duo teased.
 
Heero snorted. “There's a lot riding on us today,” Heero said as he returned to brushing Shini.
 
“Actually, I thought you were the one to be doing the riding,” Duo quipped with a wide grin.
 
“Baka!”
 
Duo's teasing did have the required effect though and Heero began to relax a little.
 
“You'll do fine, Heero. Shini's in top form and from what I could tell of the course, it shouldn't pose a threat to him. Then again, I'm no expert and you know your horse better than I do, so you'd have a much greater idea of how well he should go, and I'm starting to babble, aren't I?”
 
Heero shook his head and laughed. “Yes, you are starting to babble, but you're right too. Shini is quite capable of jumping that course, so if we don't go well then I only have myself to blame.”
 
Taking a good look around and making sure there wasn't anyone close enough to see, Duo ducked around Shinigami's side and stole a quick kiss. “You and Shini will shine out there, Heero,” he said quietly.
 
Heero's eyes softened as he gazed at his lover. “Thanks.”
 
* * *
 
Watching the current competitor in the ring, Heero felt his hopes rising a little more. Whilst the course wasn't all that difficult, the rider needed not only complete obedience from his horse, but speed too. And that's where it became tricky.
 
The course designer had done a good job, giving plenty of room between jumps but setting a stiff time allowed and that's where things could fall apart. You needed speed between the jumps to stay within the time allowed and not score time faults, but the horse had to be responsive to the rider too and be able to slow its speed and re-balance in time for the next jump.
 
“Hn. Too fast,” Heero muttered as he watched the horse trying to slow and regain some of the impulsion it had lost. Unfortunately, it couldn't and ended up knocking down the rail with its hind legs.
 
“Not as easy as it looks, huh?” Duo questioned from where he stood beside Heero and Shinigami.
 
“It's not that difficult,” Heero replied and then proceeded to explain to Duo the reasons why the horses were knocking down rails.
 
Treize rode over on Romeo, the big bay looking a picture of health. “I'm next,” Treize stated and ran a hand down the bay's neck.
 
“Good luck, Treize,” Heero and Duo both said.
 
“Thank you,” Treize replied.
 
“You shouldn't have any problems,” Heero commented. “Romeo's stride is that big it's the perfect type of course for him.”
 
“I won't deny that the course is ideal for a horse with Romeo's length of stride. I just hope he listens to me as we go around and keeps his impulsion.”
 
“He will. He's really improved lately.”
 
“Thanks.” Treize smiled and gathered up his reins. “Better go, they're calling my number.” Treize rode off, the repeated good luck wishes echoing behind him.
 
Zoe rode up to stand with Heero and Duo, Michael following a few seconds behind her. Heero nodded to the woman, Duo shifted to stand beside Michael.
 
Treize began his course, not pushing the big bay but letting him find his own stride. Romeo seemed to appreciate his rider's tactics, and the course really did suit his big frame. Jump after jump was cleared with Romeo's effortless style, the time allowed not seeming to worry the pair in any way.
 
Treize finished the course to a burst of applause and the second clear round of the day. Riding back out to the collecting ring, he brought Romeo to a halt and dismounted, patting the stallion and praising him.
 
“That was a great round, Treize,” Zoe said with a smile.
 
“Thanks. He was good, listened to me all the way,” Treize said as Otto appeared and took the stallion from him.
 
“You made it look easy,” Heero said as his eyes watched the next competitor in the ring.
 
“It's not that hard if your horse listens to you. As we all agreed when walking the course, the trick is to have the animal rebalanced and full of impulsion as you come into the actual jumps, going fast and not being able to have the horse back between your hand and leg is going to be the biggest problem,” Treize said as he also watched the current competitor. “The jump off will be interesting.”
 
“Yeah, I agree,” Zoe said. “But firstly, we have to make it through the first round before even thinking of the jump off.”
 
Heero snickered. “That would help.”
 
The current competitor exited the ring with a total of half a time penalty and then it was Zoe's turn.
 
“See you soon, guys,” she said as she turned Lion for the entry. A chorus of 'good lucks' followed her into the arena.
 
Whilst Lion wasn't as tall as Romeo, or have such a long stride, due to Heero's patient schooling of the horse when he was working him at Treize's, he was able to put on a turn of speed and still settle himself in time for the jump. Zoe's skills as a rider were more than apparent as she guided the bay around the course.
 
Heero watched intently, he still had a soft spot for Lion and had been right in his assumptions that the horse would go to even greater heights given the right type of rider. Zoe was that type of rider, sympathetic to her horse and asking for no more than the animal was capable of giving. It was clear to Heero that Lion, like Periwinkle, trusted his rider completely.
 
“She's doing well,” Duo said as Zoe cleared the wall and was on track for the gate.
 
“So far, so good. If she maintains this pace, she should go clear,” Michael murmured, eyes never leaving his fiancée.
 
“They are a good combination,” Heero stated as Zoe cleared the gate and headed for the parallel bars.
 
Even Duo could appreciate the harmony between horse and rider as Zoe and Lion cleared the parallel bars and then the triple to finish with a clear round.
 
Cheers rang out as the commentator confirmed Zoe's clear a moment later.
 
“That was fun!” Zoe exclaimed as she returned to the collecting ring, face flushed and eyes wide with excitement.
 
“Well done,” Michael congratulated as Zoe slipped from her saddle and into his arms for a warm hug and kiss.
 
Duo couldn't help the twinge of jealously at the open display of affection between the engaged couple. He didn't begrudge them their happiness at all, he just wished that he could show the same affection for Heero in public. Sometimes life just plain sucked.
 
Watching his partner intently, Heero could see the look of wistfulness pass though those violet eyes and it saddened him too. He would love nothing more than to take Duo in his arms, kiss him senseless and show the world that the gorgeous, kind hearted vet was all his and his alone; but to do so would cause more damage to them both career wise than was worth. Heero knew Duo loved him, just as he loved the long haired vet, but unfortunately, they would have to confine their displays of affection to when and where there were no onlookers.
 
There had been damage enough done with Relena's attacks on them in the past. Fortunately, the majority of people hadn't cared too much at the time, and now, that had all faded into the background. Heero had no doubt that if they were to show affection publicly then the homophobes would raise their heads and all the past would be dragged back up and cause them both nothing but pain. No, it was safer for them both to keep their relationship to themselves.
 
“Heero!”
 
Heero jumped and turned in his saddle as his name was called. “What?”
 
“They're calling your number. You're next,” Treize said, his mouth curled in amusement.
 
Duo snickered as he saw the light flush spread over Heero's cheeks. He had an idea of where Heero's thoughts may have been, but he wasn't sharing with anyone.
 
Gathering his reins, Heero nudged Shini forward and prepared to enter the ring.
 
“Good luck, Heero,” Treize, Zoe and Michael called after him.
 
“Knock 'em dead, Heero,” Duo said softly from where he stood, having followed Heero to the entry gate of the ring.
 
“I'll do my best,” Heero replied with a warm smile. He mouthed, 'Love you' before settling himself deeper in his saddle and preparing to enter the ring.
 
Duo replied with a squeeze to Heero's calf. “Be careful.”
 
As Heero rode into the ring, Duo returned to the rest of the group and tried not to chew his fingernails.
 
Heero saluted the judge and whilst waiting for the bell to ring to signal he could start, he collected Shinigami up and began to canter around, making his way towards the starting flags. The bell went and Heero pushed all thoughts other than the course ahead from his mind.
 
Shinigami cocked his ears and blew softly through his nostrils. He could see all the jumps around him, feel his master's calm, steady hand on the rein and sense the confidence radiating from him. It all served to steady the stallion and boost his own confidence.
 
Heero turned his horse and sitting firmly in his saddle, passed through the start flags and towards the first jump. Shinigami flew over it, landed cleanly and was cantering away, eager for the next fence. Heero had calculated Shini's stride and figured he would need to go at a good, steady canter between jumps, then slow a little to take each obstacle.
 
The young stallion was enjoying himself. He could stride out between the fences, but listened and came back to hand as they approached the next jump. None were really difficult, the course designer attempting to catch out the competitors by putting in the generous room between fences and a stiff time on completing the course.
 
Shinigami sailed over the rustic rails, cleared the oxer with inches to spare and made easy work of the double. Back in the collecting ring, Duo had the end of his braid in a death grip, twisting it in his hands as he shifted restlessly from one foot to the other. He knew just how much Heero wanted to do well in this last qualifying event of the season. If he did finish in the top three then there was a good chance he would be noticed and possibly selected for the Nations cup team.
 
Treize also watched, his gaze shifting from his pupil in the ring to the vet on the ground beside him. He couldn't help the smile of amusement as he noticed Duo mangling the end of his braid. Gently, Treize took hold of Duo's hand and pulled the abused rope of hair from its grasp. “You'll give yourself split ends,” he teased.
 
“Rather split ends than bleeding fingers,” Duo replied and then continued when he saw Treize raise an eyebrow in question. “I tend to bite my fingernails.”
 
“Ah. In that case...” Treize returned the braid to Duo's hand. “Just don't say I didn't warn you when you're bemoaning those split ends.”
 
Duo cocked his head. “And how would you know about split ends?”
 
“Zechs.” The one word said it all.
 
Duo snorted and tried to stifle the snickers. “Blondie is worried about split ends?” he questioned with a grin.
 
“More like obsessed,” Treize sighed with a roll of his eyes. “You have no idea.”
 
“Something tells me I don't want any further information,” Duo sniggered and then turned his attention back to Heero and Shini.
 
“Steady up for this one, Shini,” Heero muttered as he sat a little deeper and checked his horse's stride.
 
Shinigami's hocks came right back underneath him and like a coiled spring, he leapt over the wall. Recovering from the leap, the gray was soon back in his stride and heading for the gate. With the gate successfully cleared all that remained between them and the finish flags were the parallel bars and the triple.
 
Taking a slightly firmer feel on the reins, Heero drove his horse together, building the impulsion and holding it in check until three strides away from the jump when he let it go. Shini bounded forward, one, two, three strides and propelled himself into the air. The red and white poles flashed beneath them and Shini's forelegs were reaching out to absorb the impact of landing.
 
“One more to go, my son,” Heero said and risked a quick pat to the sweating neck.
 
Eyeing the triple ahead of him, Shinigami calculated his jump off point and gathered himself together for the leap. His haunches strained, muscles driving the heavy body up and forward. Heero went with his horse, hands reaching along the neck to give Shini the rein he needed to stretch out his neck, weight out of the saddle and balanced through his knees and stirrups. As they began their return to earth, Heero's body followed the movement, weight beginning to return to the saddle as his hands came back to keep the contact with Shini's mouth.
 
They landed safely and Heero gave the gray his head, steering him through the finish flags in a burst of speed.
 
“Clear round for Heero Yuy on Shinigami,” the commentator announced.
 
“Yes!” Duo cheered and punched the air in delight.
 
Exiting the ring, Heero rode over towards his friends patting the stallion enthusiastically and trying to keep the grin on his face from taking over completely.
 
“Well done, Heero.”
 
“Great round.”
 
“Shinigami was in fine form.”
 
The congratulations and praise came from all his friends and Heero accepted it all with good grace.
 
“He was a good boy,” Heero said as he patted the neck before him.
 
“Just like his old man,” Duo commented as he fed Shini carrots. “And I don't mean in just the jumping either,” he added as Shinigami slobbered on him and begged for more of the orange treats.
 
Laughing, Heero dismounted and ran his stirrups up before loosening the girth and taking the reins over the stallion's head.
 
“Want me to walk him around for you?” Duo asked as he gave the gray the last of the carrots.
 
“If you don't mind, that would be great. There's not going to be enough time to take him back to the float as there's only another three riders to go and then they will be calling us for the jump off.”
 
“No problem.” Duo took the reins and led Shini away.
 
Heero joined Treize and Zoe in watching the last of the competitors ride the course.
 
* * *
 
There were five riders in total to make it through to the jump off. Treize, Zoe and Heero were amongst them. The course was raised and the riders given the chance to walk it again before the jump off started. Otto brought Romeo back and joined Duo who was still walking Shinigami around, keeping the gray's muscles warm. Michael joined them a minute later with Lionheart.
 
The three 'grooms' discussed the various jumps and their thoughts on how they felt their respective 'charges' would fare. Otto was quietly confident that Treize and Romefeller would finish in the top three. Michael was a little worried that Lionheart wouldn't have the speed that the slightly bigger horses had, but he did concede that Lion was a good horse for cutting corners and saving seconds. Duo thought that Heero and Shinigami had just as much chance as anyone else and given Shini's love of jumping, plus the extra work Heero had been putting into the gray lately, Duo honestly thought they would be hard to beat.
 
The three riders returned from walking the course, each with their own likes and dislikes about it. There was still a fair amount of space between the jumps which meant going fast between fences if you wanted to get a good time, there was also the option of a couple of shortcuts, if your horse could turn quickly. All three had decided the shortcuts were the option for them.
 
Taking their respective mounts from their grooms, the three riders remounted and began to loosen their horses up again. Duo kept a close eye on Heero, knowing how much a good result meant to the man. He could read the determination in Heero's posture, almost feel it radiating off him and all Duo could do was hope and pray that Shini would listen and do exactly what Heero asked.
 
Treize was second in the jump off, followed by Zoe and then Heero. The other two riders to make it through were jumping first and last. Heero didn't think they had too much to worry about from the other two riders, their horses hadn't looked quite seasoned enough as yet to be a major threat, but then underestimating the competition could also be a bad mistake to make. Heero gave up thinking and concentrated on Shini.
 
The first rider to go obviously wasn't out to prove anything and gave their horse the best chance to clear everything again. Treize commented it was a smart move by the rider as the horse hadn't long been upgraded and was still getting used to the higher heights of the jumps in A grade. Heero agreed with Treize. No sense in putting your horse off jumping for life by rushing into things for the sake of a ribbon.
 
The rider came out of the ring to applause, a clear round and a slow time of 58:24.
 
Treize was in next and everyone wished him good luck.
 
Gathering his reins up, Treize collected his horse, saluted the judge and was on his way to the start. The bell rang and he was off. Romeo cleared jumps one and two easily, his long stride coming in handy covering the distance between jump two and five, the double.
 
Romeo pricked his ears and lined up the double. He popped neatly over part A, took two strides and leapt over part B. As soon as he landed, Treize was there, collecting him together to try and make a sharp turn which would save time and bring him into fence eight; the rustic rails.
 
With his long legs, Romefeller wasn't as quick to make the turn, although they did cut a little time off. The bay cleared the rails and was sprinting towards jump eleven, the wall. A solid mass of bricks, it was an imposing jump and stood at five foot four inches. Treize knew he had to have Romeo back in hand if they were to clear the wall and make another sharp turn after landing to cut inside jump four and be in line for the final jump, the triple.
 
Ears flicked back and forth as Romeo listened to his rider. He shortened his stride, eyed up the wall and then leapt into the air. The big bay cleared the wall and came back to earth, body recovering from the leap and starting to turn as his rider asked. A few strides later and they were sailing over the triple and galloping through the finish.
 
“Clear round in a time of 42:56 for Treize Kushrenada riding Romefeller,” the commentator announced.
 
Treize rode out to the sounds of clapping and shouts of congratulations as Zoe rode in to take her turn. They exchanged a few brief words, Treize wishing Zoe good luck and Zoe congratulating Treize, then Treize was back amongst his friends and Zoe was about to start her course.
 
“Well done, Treize. You've set a good time to beat,” Heero said with a grin.
 
“I rather enjoyed that, and thanks,” Treize replied as he dismounted, handing Romeo off to Otto to walk around after he'd given the horse a few pats and a couple of apple slices.
 
“Looks like Zoe's going to give you a run for your money,” Duo mused as he watched Zoe start at a fast pace.
 
All eyes turned to the ring as Zoe began her jump off round. Duo sidled up to Michael and placed a hand on the other man's arm, gently coaxing the fingers from Michael's mouth.
 
“Welcome to the world of the support crew,” Duo chuckled and then added, “Trust me, no amount of chewing on the nails helps.”
 
“Voice of experience talking?” Micheal replied with a smile.
 
“You better believe it. I've chewed mine down to my elbows at times and it hasn't eased the butterflies at all.”
 
“I think I'd rather be on the animal's back than watching,” Michael replied with a sigh.
 
“Yeah, it ain't easy and I guess it would be harder for you given that you're used to competing yourself.”
 
“You got that right,” Michael said wryly.
 
“She's gonna do just fine,” Duo said and smiled.
 
“Thanks.”
 
Zoe was having a ball. Lion was quick and responsive to her lightest aid, his little ears pricked as he almost galloped around the course. He made a perfect turn from five B to jump eight and cleared it easily. The wall lay ahead and Zoe checked the speed of her horse, driving his hocks underneath and increasing Lion's impulsion.
 
As soon as they landed, Lion was making the turn his mistress asked of him, wheeling around and then sprinting forward again. The triple was all that remained between the pair and the finish.
 
Lion lined up the triple, picking his takeoff point and gathering himself together for the leap. His hind legs pushed underneath, propelling his body into the air and over the obstacle. Once he'd touched down safely on the other side, Zoe was turning and urging him through the finish flags. They shot between the flags and stopped the electronic timer.
 
“Clear round in a time of 41:03 for Zoe Harrison riding Lionheart. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new leader.”
 
Duo had moved back to Heero's side and now gazed up at his lover. Giving Heero's calf a quick squeeze, he whispered, “Show them all how it's done, Heero.”
 
Gazing into those sincere, violet eyes, Heero felt his determination rise even more. He gave a small nod. “I'll do my best, Duo.”
 
Turning his attention to Shini for a moment, Duo petted the gray muzzle and stared into the liquid brown eyes of the young stallion. “You get out there and give it your best, Shini. Listen to Heero and you'll be fine.”
 
Shini wuffled and rubbed his nose against Duo's shirt.
 
“Go kick ass,” Duo muttered as Heero collected his horse and headed into the ring. Once more, congratulations flowed as Zoe rode out and cries of 'good luck' followed as Heero rode in.
 
Heero saluted the judge, and rode Shini forward. His jaw was set with determination and Shini could feel the importance of this round coming through his master's body and thus into his own. He snorted softly, eager to be off and show everyone just what he could do!
 
The bell rang and Heero gave Shini the aid to increase his pace. They passed through the start flags and cleared jump one before Heero knew it. They turned for jump two, cleared that and were well on course for the double. Shinigami's pace was increasing as he continued towards fence five A. As they approached, he slowed slightly, re-balanced and then surged forward. They cleared part A, landed and within two strides were sailing over part B.
 
As Shini landed, he felt his rider's weight shift and the aids to turn. Heero had been practicing sharp turns with Shini of late and was glad he had. The gray sank deep on his hocks and spun, stretching out and almost galloping towards the next fence.
 
“Yes! Go, Shini,” Duo cheered from the collecting ring.
 
“He's doing well,” Treize commented, keeping one eye on the clock and one on his pupil.
 
“They've certainly improved,” Zoe said as she also watched the clock and the rider.
 
Having cleared the rustic rails, Heero and Shini were boring down on the wall. Sitting deep in his saddle, Heero checked the stallion and then rode him forwards. Gauging the height, Shini put in an extra effort, shoving off hard and reaching with his forelegs.
 
They cleared the wall, landed and then Heero whirled the gray around to line up for the triple.
 
“This is going to be close,” Treize announced.
 
Duo was too busy watching his boyfriend and chewing his nails again to comment.
 
Michael slid over and pulled Duo's hand from his mouth. With a smirk, the man wagged a finger in Duo's face. “It doesn't help at all,” he said.
 
Duo grinned sheepishly and wrapped his hand around his braid.
 
Three strides and Shini was gathering himself together, two strides and his hocks were coming right underneath him, one stride and he put everything he had into the leap. They soared into the air, blue and white poles flashing beneath and then they were dropping back to the earth again. Shinigami's front hooves bit deep into the grass, hind legs following and then they were galloping through the finish.
 
A roar went up from the crowd, Duo almost tugged his braid out by the roots as he saw the time.
 
“Clear round in a time of 40:42 for Heero Yuy riding Shinigami. Once again, we have a new leader!”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...