Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 45 ( Chapter 45 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 45
 
Heero rode out of the arena with the commentator's words ringing in his ears and a huge smile on his face. He rained pats on Shinigami's neck and shoulders, praising the young stallion for the efforts he'd made.
 
Shinigami knew he'd been good, his master's tone of voice and the pats he was getting letting him know just how pleased his master was with him. He gave a soft snort, tossed his head and jogged a little as he exited the arena. His nostrils flared as he sought out the scent of the other nice human, the one that always had something good for him to eat.
 
“Well done, Heero,” Treize congratulated as his pupil joined them.
 
“That was something to watch, Heero,” Zoe said with a smile.
 
“Yeah, that was a great piece of riding, Heero,” Michael added.
 
Heero flushed with all the praise and thanked all his fellow riders and friends as he dismounted. Landing on the ground, Heero found his lover standing right beside him.
 
“You have no idea how much I want to hug and kiss you right now,” Duo said softly and threw an arm around Heero's shoulders. “Guess this will have to do for now though.” He tightened the grip a little and then let go so it would appear he was giving the rider a friendly one armed hug, a sort of comrade to comrade type. “That was fantastic, Heero.”
 
“Thanks.” Heero was bright red and longed also to take Duo in his arms and kiss the vet senseless.
 
“I'm sure you've won,” Zoe said as she turned her attention back to the ring where the last competitor was attempting to beat Heero's time.
 
“We won't know for sure until this rider has finished, anything can happen,” Heero replied as he tried not to get his hopes up too much.
 
“You were a good boy, Shini,” Duo said in a low tone to the stallion as he fed the gray his loved treats of carrots.
 
Shini wuffled happily and crunched up as many of the carrots as the nice human was willing to give him.
 
“He's not going to make a good turn,” Treize muttered and all eyes turned back to the ring.
 
“Too fast,” Zoe agreed.
 
Sure enough, the current horse was traveling too fast and consequently didn't have the impulsion it needed upon landing to make a good turn and save time. The horse had to take a couple of extra strides to line up for the triple.
 
In the collecting ring, everyone's eyes were on the electronic clock as it counted down.
 
The horse and rider flashed between the finish flags, stopping the clock.
 
“Clear round for Mark Deveraux riding Solitaire in a time of 43:02. Ladies and gentlemen, I will have the placings for you in just a moment.”
 
“You've won, Heero!” Duo was practically bouncing with excitement.
 
Heero was sure he had too, but wasn't ready to give in to the celebrations until he'd heard it confirmed by the commentator.
 
Treize, Zoe and Michael were all about to back Duo up in congratulating Heero when the public address system crackled into life again.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, the results of the Open A grade table A event are; First place, clear round with a time of 40:42, Heero Yuy riding Shinigami. In second place, clear round with a time of 41:03 Zoe Harrison riding Lionheart. In third place, clear round with a time of 42:56, Treize Kushrenada riding Romefeller. In fourth place, clear round in a time of 43:02, Mark Deveraux riding Solitaire.”
 
“Well done, Heero!” Despite the people around, Duo couldn't help himself and enveloped Heero in a bear hug, squeezing his lover tightly before quickly letting go so no one would think the hug anything other than a congratulatory one.
 
“Congratulations, Heero,” Treize said as he took Romefeller's reins from Otto and prepared to mount.
 
“You deserve the win,” Zoe said warmly as she slid her foot in the stirrup and mounted Lion.
 
“It was a great round,” Michael added as he held Lion still for Zoe to climb on board.
 
“Thanks, everyone. Congratulations to you also, you all put up one heck of a fight.” Heero grinned as he mounted Shini and turned the stallion's head towards the ring entry.
 
The four rode back into the arena in single file and lined up in order of placing before the judge who was waiting with their rosettes. Once they were standing in line, the judge approached, placed the blue rosette on Shinigami's bridle and shook hands with Heero. He congratulated the rider on an excellent round and handed over the envelope which contained the prize money for first place.
 
The judge continued down the line, placing the rosettes on bridles, congratulating riders and handing over the prize money. Once everyone had their rosette and the judge stepped back, Heero led the lap of honor, the tails of the blue rosette flapping in the breeze as Shini cantered slowly around the ring to the applause and cheers of the spectators.
 
Exiting the arena once more, Heero rode straight over to where Duo was waiting with Otto and Michael, Treize and Zoe right behind him.
 
“I'm sure the selectors will be impressed with that round of competition,” Zoe stated as she dismounted and loosened Lion's girth.
 
“I certainly wouldn't want their job,” Treize commented. “There's so many good horses and riders competing it's not going to be easy to select a team for the Nations Cup, and even harder for the Olympic shortlist.”
 
“I'd say you're both in with a chance,” Heero said as he ran his stirrups up. “Both of you have performed consistently this season.”
 
“You have too,” Zoe objected.
 
Heero shrugged. “Shini's certainly improved. I just hope his performance has been enough to catch the selector's eye.”
 
“I'm sure he has, Heero,” Duo said as he fed the gray more carrots, a big smile on his face.
 
“We will all know soon enough,” Treize began. “The letters should be going out around the end of the month.”
 
“Well, I'm not going to dwell on it. If I get selected, then I do, if not, I guess I shall just have to try harder for the next selections,” Zoe said with a smile. “I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.”
 
“Besides, you have a wedding to finish planning,” Michael murmured. “I'm not sure if you have enough time to plan a wedding and represent your country, especially if it means traveling overseas again.”
 
Duo looked up sharply. “Where is the Nations Cup being held this time?”
 
“Auckland, New Zealand,” Treize said.
 
“Ah.” Duo tried to figure out the costs involved in transporting Shinigami to New Zealand and back, and gave up when he realized he really didn't have a clue.
 
“I don't know about you lot, but I'm going to get these nags loaded up and head home,” Treize said. “I'll see you around the shows, Zoe, and I'll see you on Tuesday at work, Heero.”
 
Zoe and Michael exchanged good byes with Treize and Otto, Heero and Duo doing the same and then bidding Zoe and Michael good bye. Walking side by side, they took Shinigami back to the float and began to get him ready for the trip back home.
 
Heero unsaddled the stallion and began to remove his jumping boots whilst Duo removed the bridle and began to brush the horse down. Once Shini was brushed, Heero put on the floating boots and traveling rug, Duo did his usual wrestling trick with all the gear, trying to cram it back into the car.
 
Shini was soon loaded into the float and the pair were on their way home.
 
* * *
 
The morning after the show consisted of the usual clean up of the tack room for Heero and rest for Shinigami. Duo was doing morning consults and Heero would join him later that afternoon to go through the accounts and bring all the books up to date. Heero had offered to run the reception as both Hilde and Catherine had the day off, but Duo declined. There weren't too many consults booked in and Duo was capable enough of handling it all by himself.
 
When Heero walked into the tack room he was glad Duo had refused his assistance. The place looked like a bomb had hit it. Although Duo had emptied the car whilst Heero had attended to the horses when they got back from the show and the vet had tried to put everything back in its usual place, there were still several items scattered about. With a sigh, Heero began to collect it all up and sort through it.
 
All the gear needed cleaning so Heero removed all the bits from the bridles and dropped them into a bucket ready to soak. He checked all the bandages, saddle blankets and cleaning rags, putting those that needed washing into a pile by the door. Everything else was checked and then put back into the various places where they 'lived'.
 
Fetching the saddle soap, oil and a couple of clean rags from the shelf, Heero pulled the stirrups and girth from his saddle, setting them aside to clean separately. With the bridles also pulled apart, all Heero needed was some water and he was set to go. Picking up the container he used for cleaning his gear and the bucket with the bits in it, he headed outside the stables to get the water. He filled the small container first, took that back inside and then filled the bucket. Turning the tap off, he was about to head back inside when from the corner of his eye something caught his attention. He paused and turned his head in the direction he'd seen movement and scanned around.
 
He couldn't see anything and assuming it must have been the wind blowing a leaf or something, he turned his attention back to the bucket. As he bent to pick it up, he again saw a flicker of movement out the corner of his eye. Frowning, Heero left the bucket where it was and walked over towards the manure heap where the movement had come from.
 
Fully expecting to find a bird, rat or even a snake, Heero approached cautiously, eyes continuously moving and searching. To the side of the heap, a few blades of long grass moved again and Heero homed in on it. Carefully he crept closer until he was close enough that he could make a safe dash away should it be a snake lurking. He stopped and leaned forward, peering through the grass.
 
“Well I'll be,” he muttered and released a sigh. He moved closer to the small lump hidden in the grass and reached a hand forth. “Hello there. Where on earth did you come from?” he crooned softly. The creature looked at him and shivered. The tiny mouth opened, but no sound came out.
 
“Easy,” Heero soothed and reached to lift the tiny animal. Once he had it in his hand, he brought it close to his face and took a good look.
 
It was a kitten. Gray, matted fur covered its tiny body and Heero could easily feel the ribs through the thin coat. Blue eyes opened and gazed back at him as the mouth opened again in a silent meow.
 
“You poor thing,” Heero murmured as he stroked a finger over the kitten's head. “You're coming with me, I know just the person to make you better.” Bucket and saddlery cleaning forgotten, Heero cradled the kitten close to his chest and made a beeline for the surgery where his lover would be.
 
* * *
 
Hearing the back door to the animal hospital open and close, Duo stuck his head out from the reception area to see Heero coming up the hallway.
 
“Are you busy?” Heero asked as he approached the reception area.
 
“I'm just about to see my last patient, vaccination booster and I'll be all finished. Is there something wrong?”
 
“No. I'll wait until you've finished.” Heero replied and turned to go into the other consulting room.
 
Duo frowned, then shrugged to himself. Whatever it was Heero wanted it couldn't be all that urgent if he was happy to wait. Duo turned his attention back to the last client of the morning and took them through to the main consulting room.
 
Ten minutes later, Duo was finished. He gave the client a receipt and followed them to the front door. Once they'd left, he locked the door and turned the sign to closed. Mind still puzzling over Heero and his strange behavior, Duo headed straight for the second consulting room.
 
Heero sat in the chair next to the examination table with the kitten still held close to his chest. The tiny animal shivered from time to time, whether from cold or fright, Heero wasn't sure. He did his best to soothe the kitten though, gently stroking a finger over its tiny body and murmuring softly to it. The door opened and Heero looked up to see his lover walk in.
 
“What's wrong, Heero?” Duo asked as he entered and closed the door. Turning back he spotted something cradled close to Heero's chest. His eyes widened. “Umm... What have you got?”
 
Heero stood up and gently set the tiny kitten onto the examination table. “I found it out the back of the stables by the manure heap,” Heero said.
 
Duo stepped closer as his eyes scanned over the shivering creature. “Where on earth did it come from?” Violet eyes softened as Duo extended a finger to stroke the kitten.
 
“I don't know,” Heero replied and then told Duo the entire story. “I couldn't leave it there, it looks sick. Can you help it?”
 
Carefully, Duo picked the kitten up and began to examine it. His gentle fingers probed all over the small body followed by the stethoscope and finishing with the thermometer. All the while he was carrying out his examination, Duo remained silent.
 
Once the vet had finished, Heero looked at his lover. “Well? What's wrong with it?”
 
“First up, it's not an it, it's a she. From what I can tell, she's about six weeks old, suffering from malnutrition and dehydration. She's also got a bad case of fleas and probably full of worms too. She seems to have a bit of a cold which is why she's shivering. You have any idea where she could have come from?”
 
“No. Like I said, I spotted movement from the corner of my eye and when I went to investigate I found her by the manure heap. Can you help her?”
 
“I'd say she's either lost, dumped or been abandoned by her mother. Kittens don't usually leave their mothers until they're eight weeks; and yes, I can help her.” Duo smiled at Heero.
 
Heero heaved a sigh of relief. “I suppose we should put an advert in the Lost and Found section of the local paper, see if anyone's lost a kitten fitting her description.”
 
“We can also put up a 'found' flyer on the notice board in the waiting room.”
 
“Maybe we should give Trowa and Quatre a call, see if they've had any reports of a missing kitten?”
 
“Good idea, Heero. For now though, I need to give this little girl a shot of antibiotic, a vaccination against Feline Enteritis and then put her on a drip. I want to get the fluids and some nourishment back into her as soon as possible. I'll also give her a dose of wormer and something to take care of those fleas,” Duo said as he turned to fetch the necessary items.
 
Heero held the kitten still while Duo administered the shots, gave her the wormer, applied a flea treatment and then set up an intravenous drip. Once everything was done, Duo had Heero carry the kitten through to the kennels where he placed her in one of the separate cages that had a special heating pad in it.
 
“She should be warming up soon,” Duo said as he checked the temperature on the heat pad.
 
“Thanks, Duo,” Heero murmured as he stroked the kitten again.
 
A soft purr began to reverberate in the kitten's chest.
 
Duo chuckled. “Come on, Heero. We have a few phone calls to make, you can check on her later.”
 
Reluctantly withdrawing his hand from the kitten, Heero wrapped his arms around Duo and hugged the vet tightly. “Thank you,” he whispered.
 
“My pleasure, Heero.” Duo returned the hug with a smile on his face. He could see Heero falling for the kitten and it amused him to no end.
 
Breaking apart, they went back to the reception area to make their calls.
 
* * *
 
Neither Quatre or Trowa could help them with the kitten, Trowa hadn't received any calls reporting a lost kitten. Quatre had checked through the list of reported missing pets in the R.S.P.C.A.'s data bank and found nothing that matched the description of the kitten currently in Duo's kennels. Heero checked the Lost and Found column in the local paper, no adverts for a missing kitten were there. Having exhausted all avenues for the moment, the pair worked out an advert of their own and called the local paper again to have it put in the next issue. With there being nothing more they could do for the moment, Heero returned to the stables to finish off his gear cleaning, Duo checked the patient and then headed back to the house to catch up on some housework.
 
Once all the chores were done, Heero returned to the house for a late lunch with his lover, the pair sitting amicably in the kitchen and munching on sandwiches. Eventually the conversation came back to the kitten, as Duo knew it would. His violet eyes twinkled in amusement as Heero brought up the topic.
 
“Duo?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“About the kitten.”
 
“What about it, Heero?” Duo had a pretty good idea of what was on Heero's mind.
 
“What are we going to do with her if no one comes forward to claim her?”
 
Duo took a drink from his mug, carefully ordering his words. “Well, if she's not claimed within seven days she's classified as a stray. Strays usually end up going to either Trowa's animal shelter for re-homing, or there's the larger Cat Haven in Salsbury that will take her and find a new home for her.” Duo sat back and waited for what he knew was coming.
 
“Oh.” Heero lowered his eyes for a moment, obviously locked in thought. “Duo?”
 
“Hmmm?”
 
“If she's not claimed, do you think that... Is there a chance that... I mean, could I, or rather we...”
 
“Heero, just spit it out,” Duo said with a chuckle.
 
“Could I keep her? I'd look after her, buy her food and other stuff. She would be an asset down at the stables catching mice; you know how the mice are, always getting into the feed stuffs if I forget to put the lid back on the drum, she'd earn her keep so to speak.” Heero turned his hopeful eyes towards his lover.
 
Duo lowered his mug to the table and turned his eyes towards his partner and smiled lovingly. “If she's not claimed, I don't see why we couldn't keep her.” Duo didn't get the chance to say anything else for the moment, he found himself with an exuberant Heero wrapped around him and nearly choking the life out of him. “Heero... I need to breathe.”
 
“Aa, sorry.” Heero let his partner go. “Thank you.”
 
“No need for thanks, Heero. I think she's sweet too. Just don't get your hopes up too much though, no point in getting attached to her only to find someone does come forward to claim her,” Duo warned.
 
“I'll try,” came the reply.
 
Duo shook his head. Asking Heero not to get attached to the kitten was like pissing in the ocean and waiting for the tide to rise - it just wasn't going to happen. He only hoped that if someone did come forward to claim the little thing, Heero wouldn't be too upset.
 
With their lunch finished, Heero quickly washed the dishes and dragged a bemused Duo back to the kennels so he could check on the kitten.
 
* * *
 
Six days had passed since Heero found the kitten and so far no one had come forward to claim her. If no one had by that evening, she would be Heero's. After spending three days in the kennels recovering, Duo had pronounced the kitten healthy enough to move from the special kennel and into a 'normal' kennel. The fluids had soon had her feeling much better and the special diet Duo had put her on helped as far as her gaining weight went. The fleas were all gone, as were the worms and the kitten began to perk up a bit. She still had a little bit of her cold, but her eyes had brightened considerably and as she was regaining her strength, she also regained her playfulness.
 
Once Heero had finished with his day's work at Treize's, he'd head home and do his own stable work and exercise Shinigami. Once all his chores were complete, Heero would make a beeline for the kennels to see how the kitten was doing. He'd spend about an hour fussing over the small cat, cleaning out her kennel, fetching her fresh food, cleaning the sand tray and making sure she got a little exercise by playing with a ball Heero had bought for her to chase.
 
Hilde and Catherine had been immediately taken with the kitten, fussing over her as only women can. Hilde, being the more practical one, sided with Duo and kept a professional air when it came to the kitten. She knew, like Duo, that things could get very personal if you didn't detach yourself to a certain point from your patients. As much as she hoped and prayed no one would come forward and claim the kitten, there was always that chance, best not to get too attached.
 
Catherine on the other hand, was just as smitten as Heero with the kitten and whenever she had any free time she could be found playing with the tiny bundle.
 
Duo was almost finished with evening consults, Catherine in the reception when Heero entered the surgery. Having greeted Catherine, Heero aimed for the cat kennels and the kitten.
 
“Hello there,” Heero greeted as he gently lifted her out of the kennel and set her on the floor. He took the ball out of his pocket and tossed it to the ground, the kitten immediately chasing after it. Whilst the kitten played, Heero cleaned the kennel. He didn't refill any of the bowls or the sand tray though, tonight he would find out if the kitten had been claimed or not. Hearing the last client for the evening leaving, Heero picked up the kitten and left the kennels, intent on finding out whether or not the kitten had been claimed.
 
Duo and Catherine looked up as Heero entered the reception area, the kitten cradled in his arms. Catherine smiled, Duo gave an amused grin. He knew exactly what was on Heero's mind.
With both people staring at him, Heero looked from one to the other. “What?” he asked.
 
“Nothing,” Duo replied innocently.
 
Catherine gave a soft chuckle and turned away.
 
Heero frowned, looked at the kitten and then back at the pair in reception.
 
“I suppose we should tell him,” Duo murmured.
 
“Might be an idea,” said Catherine.
 
“Tell me what?” Heero asked, a feeling of dread building in his stomach.
 
“Best to put him out of his misery,” Duo snickered.
 
“Yes, before he starts to get really riled up,” Catherine commented quirking an eyebrow.
 
“I am here, you know, you don't have to talk as if I'm not present,” Heero huffed. “Now, will someone please tell me what's going on?”
 
Duo snickered and relented. “It's about the kitten, Heero.” Before Duo could get any further, Heero interrupted him.
 
“I knew it, someone's claimed her, haven't they? I should have guessed she'd have an owner out there.” Heero dropped his eyes to the little bundle purring contentedly against his chest. “I'm gonna miss you, Smokey.”
 
Duo rolled his eyes at Catherine who laughed.
 
“I don't see why you're laughing,” Heero snapped and then shut up. The lump in his throat was getting bigger and he didn't want to break down in front of his lover and the receptionist.
 
“Heero, if you will please let me finish. I was going to say that no one has come forward to claim her, therefore, she's considered a stray and available for adoption.” Duo paused to let his words sink in.
 
Heero listened and slowly his brain began to accept and analyze what Duo had said. // The kitten was a stray. She needed a home. // “Does that mean...?”
 
“Yes, Heero. If you still want her, she's yours,” Duo said softly.
 
Heero's face lit up and he hugged the kitten close. “You hear that, Smokey? You're mine now, I can keep you.” The kitten purred even louder, batting Heero's hand with her tiny paw. With the grin still plastered to his face, Heero lunged forward and grabbed his lover in a one armed hug. “Thank you, Duo.”
 
Duo wrapped his arms around Heero and hugged back. “You're welcome, Heero.” Over Heero's shoulder, Duo could see Catherine shaking her head and holding onto her laughter. Both he and Catherine had known the kitten hadn't been claimed and weren't expecting her to be either, but they had to go through the proper channels before Heero could adopt her. The teasing had been a little spur of the moment thing.
 
“Aw, that's so sweet, and kind of you Duo,” Catherine snickered.
 
“What can I say? I'm a nice guy,” Duo teased back.
 
Catherine did lose it then, laughing until the tears were coursing down her cheeks.
 
Heero didn't care though, the kitten was staying and right now that was all that mattered. Releasing his lover, Heero stepped back, eyes shining. “Does that mean she can come back to the house now? Not have to stay in the kennels?”
 
“Yes, Heero. I'd suggest you grab a couple of bowls and some food from the kennels though. Take them to the house with you along with a sand tray, you can always buy her some new bowls and stuff later.”
 
“Right. Thanks, Duo. I'll go get everything sorted out and set up now.” With that, Heero left the pair and disappeared to get all he needed for the kitten.
 
“Well, there goes the help I was expecting to clean up tonight,” Duo sighed.
 
“You'd better be careful, Duo.”
 
“Huh?” Duo turned to look at the receptionist.
 
“Looks like you have some competition for Heero's affections,” Catherine said slyly.
 
“Nah, Heero's just dedicated to looking after his animals,” Duo replied, but there was a little insecurity in his voice.
 
“You sure about that?” Catherine teased. “He does seem to spend an awful lot of time with his horses, and now he has the kitten seeking his affection too... Well, let's just say there's going to be less time for you.”
 
“Heero wouldn't do that... Would he?” Duo's voice didn't sound confident at all.
 
Catherine began to laugh. “Oh, for heaven's sake, Duo. Do you seriously think Heero would neglect you for a cat? The man's totally and hopelessly in love with you.”
 
A relieved look came over Duo's face, followed by a sheepish grin. “I have to admit, you had me thinking for a moment there.”
 
“You're so easy to tease, Duo,” Catherine snickered.
 
“Yeah, well.” Duo rubbed the back of his neck. “Just for that, you can mop the floors tonight.”
 
“I mop them anyway,” Catherine retorted with a grin.
 
Realizing he was outmaneuvered, Duo gave up. “I'll be cleaning the consulting room,” he stated and with his tattered dignity drawn around him, he headed off.
 
* * *
 
The kitten soon settled into routine in the house. Heero set up a sand tray in the laundry area for her to use, her bowls were placed in a corner of the kitchen. Heero also purchased a basket and lined it with a thick, warm blanket for her to sleep in, but although the kitten would sleep in it when Heero and Duo were around, she would more often than not, sneak off and curl up on their bed. Several times Heero would find the gray bundle curled next to one of Duo's fluffy animals fast asleep, and despite the number of times he would remove her and place her back in her basket, along with a gentle scolding, the kitten would be back on the bed the very next chance she got.
 
It amused Duo to no end. He really didn't have a problem with the kitten sleeping on the bed, just so long as they weren't in it at the same time. He was worried one of them would roll over in the night and possibly squash the little thing.
 
Heero on the other hand, didn't want the kitten to sleep on the bed at all. Not that he had anything against the kitten, but the bed belonged to Duo and him, and he didn't want to share that with anyone or anything. Besides, Heero was still very self conscious when it came to sex, and intimacy with his partner should be shared only between them, he didn't want a kitten looking on.
 
They came to a compromise.
 
The kitten was allowed free run of the house during the day, including sleeping on their bed. When they retired for the night though, the kitten was relegated to the rest of the house and the bedroom door kept firmly shut so she couldn't come in.
 
It only took a couple of days for the kitten to get used to the arrangement and she accepted it okay - much to Heero's relief.
 
The days passed, Shinigami gained even more experience in the jumping ring by attending a couple of local shows. Virgo and Altron were both coming along well with Altron starting to place consistently in the ring and Treize had several people interested in purchasing the horse. Virgo was still learning, but she was an apt and intelligent pupil, always eager to try and please and that made Heero's job of educating her a lot easier.
 
Young Wing was growing by the day, his natural curiosity developing with his body and quite often he would end up getting himself into trouble. Heero returned home one day to find Duo out on a call and Angel almost frantic in the paddock. He'd hightailed it down to the paddock once he'd heard the mare's non stop neighing to discover Angel and Scythe both pacing the paddock fence and Wing in the paddock next door quite happily grazing and ignoring the frantic calls of his mother.
 
Heero had almost had a heart attack.
 
After checking the paddock fence for any break where the colt could have gone through and finding nothing, Heero was still at a loss to explain how Wing had gotten into the other paddock. Duo had returned then and joined Heero in the paddock playing detective. After studying the entire fence line, Duo came up with a feasible answer.
 
Wing liked to roll in the sand - all horses did, but Wing seemed to take more pleasure in it than most. There was a sandy patch close to the fence and Duo theorized that Wing had been rolling there and somehow managed to slide underneath the fence and into the other paddock. With there being no breaks in the fence, the top rail too high for Wing to jump at his age, rolling under the fence seemed the obvious thing.
 
The gap between the ground and bottom spar was just big enough for him to slide under and with no other way between the paddocks they concluded that's what must have happened. And that left them with another problem. How to get Wing back out and with his mother.
 
With Heero being so busy with Treize's and Shini, he hadn't gotten around to halter breaking the colt yet which meant he didn't know how to lead. In the end, Heero took Angel into the paddock hoping that Wing would follow his mother out and back to the stables. Duo stayed behind Wing to encourage the youngster to follow and not go off to the side exploring as he usually tried to do.
 
After half an hour they managed to get the wayward colt and his mother back to the stables.
 
Bolting the door and then hanging up the lead rope, Heero turned to his smiling partner. “That's it. I've put it off long enough. Tomorrow I start to halter break the little Houdini.”
 
Duo chuckled. “You want a hand?”
 
Heero looked at the colt who was innocently drinking from his mother, completely unfazed by the torment he'd put her through. “I think I'm going to need all the help I can get.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...