Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 59 ( Chapter 59 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 59
 
Despite all the turmoil of the evening, when Duo finally dragged Heero off to bed, the rider slept soundly. The emotional rollercoaster he'd been on had taken its toll and despite Heero's thoughts of not being able to sleep, his mental exhaustion took over and he was soon dead to the world.
 
Duo was pleased to see that Heero had managed to fall asleep easily enough, his lover needed the rest and it would allow his heart to heal a little. Unfortunately, Duo wasn't so lucky. He slept in fits and starts, constantly waking up only to find he'd been asleep for just an hour, then taking another hour to drift back off again, only to wake once more after another hour of restless sleep. The cycle continued all through the night until the rays of dawn were starting to break the horizon.
 
Physically and mentally exhausted as he was, Duo's mind continued to race, constantly looking for anything he may have missed with Scythe's diagnosis and continuously coming back to the same question; had he done the right thing?
 
Knowing that Zechs had also examined the mare and come to the same conclusion didn't seem to feature in his mind's wanderings. Eventually, Duo gave up trying to rest and slipped from the bed, leaving his lover to sleep on. With it being Sunday the practice was closed, although they were still open for emergencies only. It was also his turn to be the vet on call that day. Shuffling into the bathroom he relieved himself and washed his hands and face. Toweling off, he took stock of his appearance in the mirror and groaned.
 
Bloodshot eyes gazed back at him, his eyes were shadowed, face pinched and drawn and his hair... Best not to go there. Giving a sigh, Duo made his way to the kitchen and put the kettle on. A cup of coffee was what he needed, then he'd shower and try to do something with his hair that currently looked like he'd stuck his finger in a power point.
 
Coffee in hand, he began to function a little better and headed back to the bathroom and that welcoming shower. Ten minutes later he was stepping out of the stall, hair wet but feeling a little better. Wrapping a towel around his waist, he grabbed another one and vigorously toweled his hair. Once he'd removed as much excess water as he could, he picked up his comb and began to work through the tangles. The blow drier followed, the hair being divided into segments, dried and then pulled over a shoulder.
 
It took him a good twenty minutes to dry and then braid the mass, but it was therapeutic and by the time he was done and looked at his reflection again, he looked a little more human. The eyes weren't quite so red but the dark shadows were still there.
 
With the towel still wrapped around his waist, he went back to the kitchen and reboiled the kettle for a second cup of coffee. A glance at the clock told him it was now five-thirty. He decided to slip back into the bedroom and check on Heero.
 
A lump in the middle of the bed, completely covered with the quilt showed where Heero was. The dark haired man was still sound asleep so Duo thought it best to leave him and fetched his clothes. Dressing quietly and checking Heero once more, Duo left the bedroom, dumped his cup in the sink and decided to go out and get a start on the horses.
 
It was quiet in the stables, Duo pulled the large door back and entered, the scent of horses and hay hitting his nostrils. Zero gave a low wuffle as he recognized the footsteps, Angel, Shini and Wing all opted to watch over their stable doors. It was as if the horses all knew that the humans that cared for them were sad, and they knew it was to do with Scythe.
 
The scent of death was in the air, although only the horses could smell it and whilst it was a sombre mood, the equines were not upset, they had no reason to be as the passing of their fellow equine had been peaceful.
 
Duo went into the small feed shed to fetch the morning feeds, his mind pondering over the horses' behavior. Animals were funny creatures, they accepted the death of a fellow animal far easier than humans did. Yes, they appeared to grieve, or so Duo thought, having observed many animals that had been left behind when a companion had passed on. But they didn't hang onto the grief as long as humans, it was as if they knew there was a better place awaiting them and they knew they would all meet again someday.
 
Duo thought that made a lot of sense in a way. He couldn't explain it any better than that so he simply accepted it. It still didn't make it any easier to lose a loved animal though.
 
Deliberately bypassing Scythe's stable, Duo took all the feed buckets out to the paddocks and put the feeds in the bins. Returning, he began to lead the horses out to their paddocks and breakfast, taking Shini and Wing first, then returning for Angel and Zero.
 
Once all the equines were out, he took the empty feed buckets back to the feed room and felt his heart ache when he spotted Scythe's breakfast sitting in her bucket. Wiping a tear away, he turned and went back into the stables to begin the task of cleaning them all.
 
Once all the stable work was done, Duo couldn't put off the inevitable any longer. With heavy footsteps he approached Scythe's stable and looked over the door. Scythe lay as they had left her, on her side with her legs curled underneath. She looked peaceful.
 
Glancing at his watch, Duo noted it was now six-thirty. Knowing there was a lot to do that day, he turned to go back to the house and prayed he wouldn't get any call outs.
 
* * *
 
 
Heero was just beginning to wake up when Duo re-entered the bedroom with two mugs in hand. He surfaced from the bedclothes to find himself alone in the bed but the scent of coffee hitting his nostrils alerted him that his lover was somewhere in the room. His eyes scanned around and picked up on Duo as the vet juggled his way into the room, managing to hang onto the coffees and somehow work the door with his feet and backside.
 
“Awake?” Duo asked and smiled as he set his mug on the side table and held Heero's out to the rider.
 
Shoving himself up in the bed, Heero nodded and took the coffee, his heart aching as the previous evening's events came back to him.
 
“How are you feeling this morning?” Duo asked quietly, picking up his own mug and settling on the bed next to Heero.
 
“Tired, empty, sad,” Heero replied honestly.
 
“Yeah, right back at you there.”Glancing up, Heero noted the look of exhaustion on Duo's face. “Did you sleep at all?”
 
“Sort of.”
 
Knowing he'd slept, despite his thoughts to the opposite, Heero felt a little guilty. “See if you can get a nap in today,” Heero offered.
 
“Maybe. I'm on call so I'll have to see what happens.”
 
Opting to stay silent for a while, Heero stared into his mug and thought back over the preceding events.
 
Knowing there were certain things that had to be attended to, Heero began to shift slightly in the bed. “I need to feed the horses.”
 
“All done,” Duo replied.
 
“The stables?”
 
“All clean.”
 
“What time did you get up?”
 
“Around five-ish.”
 
“Duo? Exactly how much did you sleep last night?” Heero was getting very concerned now.
 
“I got about two or three hours I think. Not sure.”
 
“Oh, Duo.” Heero set his mug down, took Duo's from his hand and pulled the vet close to him. Wrapping his arms around the slender frame, he sought out Duo's lips and kissed his lover deeply. He understood Duo's insecurity, the feeling of helplessness that raged through the vet and he needed to let Duo know that none of this was his fault - quite the opposite in fact. Duo had done everything he possibly could.
 
Snuggling deep into Heero's embrace after the kiss, Duo let himself relax.
 
“Thank you for seeing to the horses,” Heero whispered.
 
“S'okay,” Duo returned as he soaked up the warmth from Heero's body.
 
They remained wrapped in each other's embrace for a while and finished their coffees, Heero deciding he really needed to get up and shower. Leaving his partner to take that shower, Duo went back to the kitchen and started making breakfast.
 
Feeling more refreshed after washing, Heero stepped into the kitchen just as Duo was plating their breakfast. “Omelets,” the vet stated as he put Heero's plate in front of him.
 
“Thank you.” Heero began to eat, watching Duo from the corner of his eye. When he was about halfway through his omelet, Heero thought it was time to broach the subject they had briefly discussed the evening before.
 
“Duo?”
 
“Yes?” Noting the slight hesitation in the voice, Duo knew this as something relating to Scythe and he had a pretty good idea of what it would be.
 
“Is it still okay to bury Scythe under the gum tree?”
 
“Of course it is, Heero. The shire regulations state that she will need to be buried at a minimum depth and we can accommodate that. Although, we will need to find someone with a bobcat [1] to come and dig the grave.” Duo's voice hitched a little. He also knew they would need the bobcat to move Scythe from her stable to the paddock, a horse was simply too big and heavy for anyone to move without mechanical assistance.
 
Even though Duo hadn't come out and stated the moving of Scythe's body, Heero was well aware that they needed help to get the mare from the stable to the paddock. Heero wasn't silly he knew that rigor-mortis would have set in which would make it even more difficult to move the body.
 
“Do you know of anyone that has a bobcat that could come and do what's necessary?” Heero asked. “I don't care what it costs, I'm willing to pay for it.”
 
Duo thought long and hard, running the list of his friends and clients through his head, seeing if he could recall if any of them had a bobcat that could be used.
 
He came up blank.
 
“I'm sorry, Heero. I can't think of anyone right now.”
 
“It's okay. I'll have a look through the paper afterwards and see if there's anyone advertising in there.”
 
They returned to their silence, Duo finished his omelet, forcing the last of it down his unwilling throat, Heero ended up pushing the last of his food around the plate, his appetite completely gone. As Duo took his last mouthful so the 'phone rang.
 
“I hope that's not a call out,” Duo groaned.
 
“I'll answer it for you,” Heero stated and got up to do just that.
 
Walking into the lounge room, Heero grabbed the handset. “Maxwell Veterinary Practice.”
 
“Heero?”
 
“Treize?”
 
“Sorry if I called you too early, I just, well, I couldn't help but wonder if you and Duo are okay.”
 
The concern that came through Treize's voice touched Heero deeply. “No, you didn't call too early, both Duo and I are up. We're coping okay so far.”
 
“That's good to hear. Heero, I know I said it before and you're probably sick of hearing it, but I am sorry about Scythe, she was a lovely mare and I know she was special to you.”
 
“Thank you, Treize. She was special and I'm really going to miss her.”
 
“If there's anything at all I can do, you be sure to let me know. Also, if you wish to take a couple of days off work, I quite understand.”
 
Once more Heero was touched by Treize's words and consideration; the guy was more than just a boss, he was a good friend. “Thanks, Treize, but I'll probably come back to work on Tuesday as normal, I think it would be best to keep busy.”
 
“If you feel up to it then by all means come in to work, but if you'd rather not, that's fine with me.”
 
“Treize?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“There is one thing. We're going to have Scythe...” Heero had to pause to swallow past the lump in his throat. “We're going to bury her in the paddock. Only problem is, we don't know anyone with a bobcat who could come and dig the grave and such. Do you...?” Heero's voice petered out, he was having difficulty speaking past the emotion welling up inside.
 
Knowing exactly what Heero was saying and feeling, Treize spoke quietly. “Heero, I have a bobcat here at the stables that you can use.”
 
“You do?” Heero couldn't recall seeing the machine at Treize's.
 
“Well, sort of. It actually belongs to my next door neighbor but he keeps it down the back in one of the far paddocks. He lets me use it to unload the hay and any other jobs I need doing around the place in return for keeping it here. I'm sure if I asked, Jim would loan it to you.”
 
“That would be most helpful,” Heero replied and then frowned as he thought. “Only problem is, I don't have a clue how to drive or use one.”
 
“It's okay, Otto knows how to operate one. Look, I'll give Jim a call now and check that it's okay to borrow the bobcat and truck. I'll bring Otto with me and be at your place in an hour or so. Would that be okay for you?” Treize wasn't trying to be pushy, but he knew that the longer you left an animal the more unpleasant it became to dispose of the body. They really needed to get Scythe buried as soon as possible.
 
“That would be fine. Are you sure you don't mind?”
 
“I don't mind at all, Heero. It's the least I can do.”
 
“Then I'm very grateful to you, Treize. You're a good friend.”
 
“You're welcome, Heero. I'll see you soon.”
 
“Thanks, Treize. Bye.”
 
“Bye, Heero.”
 
Heero replaced the receiver and walked back into the kitchen where Duo was washing the dishes. He picked up a tea towel and went to start drying them.
 
“Who was on the 'phone?” Duo asked.
 
“Treize,” Heero replied and told his lover the conversation that had transpired.
 
Duo was relieved that their problem seemed to be resolved and quickly finished the dishes. Drying his hands, he suggested they take a walk out to the paddock and pick out the exact spot they wanted Scythe buried in.
 
* * *
 
Treize contacted his neighbor who was quite happy to let Treize use the bobcat and truck, and once he learned of the reason why, he refused any form of payment. Treize had been a good neighbor to him and he wished to return the man's kindness.
 
With the bobcat and truck keys collected, Treize spoke with Otto and explained to the groom what had happened and that he needed Otto to operate the machine. Whilst saddened to hear the news, Otto was completely understanding and willing to do whatever was necessary. He had a soft spot for Heero, the young rider's compassion for his horses and skill when riding had impressed Otto.
 
Treize drove the old pick up they used on the property to the back paddock where the truck and bobcat were parked. Leaving the pick up there, they transferred to the truck and set out for Duo's place.
 
When they were about ten minutes away, Treize got Otto to call Heero and let him know how far away they were. Heero agreed to meet them in the stable yard where they would have enough room to park the truck and offload the bobcat.
 
Pulling into the yard shortly after making the call, Treize brought the truck to a stop and the pair climbed out. Heero and Duo were waiting for them.
 
Otto went over to the rider and offered his condolences. “I'm so sorry to hear about your mare, Heero.”
 
“Thank you, Otto,” Heero replied as he shook the groom's hand “And thank you for coming out to - to bury her for me.”
 
“No thanks needed, Heero.” Otto moved aside to have a quiet word with Duo and let Treize speak with his pupil.
 
Duo gave Otto a warm smile of gratitude as he shook the groom's hand. “Thank you, Otto. I don't know what we would have done if you and Treize hadn't offered to bury her for us.”
 
“It's okay, Doctor Maxwell. Even though it's not the ideal circumstances, I'm glad I can be of assistance. Now, if you don't mind, could you show me where it is you want her buried, please?”
 
Catching Heero's eye, Duo indicated that they needed to go to the paddock, Heero picking up on the reason and moving to lead the way. They entered Scythe's paddock, Angel lifting her head from where she was grazing to see what the humans were up to and slowly walking over.
 
“I'd like to have her buried here,” Heero said softly as he paused by the large gum tree.
 
Otto looked around and checked out the ground. He couldn't see any problem with the state of things and nodded his head. “Okay. Is the mare there going to be a problem when I bring the bobcat down?”
 
“She should be fine, but I'll catch her and put her in another paddock if you like?” Heero replied.
 
“Just don't want her getting a fright,” Otto replied.
 
“No problem. I'll move her now.”
 
“Thanks. I'll go get the machine started up and ready to go.” While Heero was occupied with moving Angel, Otto took advantage of the missing rider. “Doctor Maxwell, could you show me where the mare is please? I need to get a look at the room I have to maneuver in.”
 
“This way," Duo replied and went with Otto into the stables, leaving Treize to stay with Heero.
 
Otto took a good look at the area he had to work in. The bobcat would get into the stable block without any problem, but it would be a tight fit to get in and out of the stable where Scythe lay. “Thanks,” he said to Duo. “I'll go get started on digging the grave.”
 
Heero, Treize and Duo followed the bobcat back to the paddock and stood to one side whilst Otto dug a very deep hole with the machine. Once the task was complete, Otto drove the machine back to the stables, Treize, Heero and Duo remained in the paddock and waited. Otto had insisted they wait there, he didn't think it was going to do any of them any good to see the horse picked up and brought out. They would be upset enough as it was with seeing her buried.
 
It didn't take Otto long to drive back to the stables and swap the 'bucket' on the bobcat for the 'forks' The 'forks' would make it much easier to pick up the mare's body. The bobcat easily picked Scythe up and Otto drove back to the paddock.
 
It brought a lump to Heero's throat as he watched the mare being lowered into her final resting place and he gamely fought back the tears. He knew he'd done the right thing, deep in his heart he knew he had - but it didn't make it any easier to accept.
 
Duo was having similar problems holding his own emotion in check, and surprisingly enough, so was Treize. It brought back memories of Taurus for him, memories he would rather not have.
 
Otto was quick and efficient, he knew how hard it would be on the other three - hell, it was hard on him and he didn't even know the horse! Once Scythe was laid gently to rest, Otto swapped the forks for the 'bucket' again and set to the task of filling in the grave. It was all completed within a matter of minutes.
 
Once Otto was finished, Treize went back with the groom to load the bobcat back onto the truck and give Heero and Duo a few minutes alone.
 
The pair stood side by side and gazed at the new mound of dirt. Duo's arm snaked around Heero's waist and he pulled the rider close to him. Heero's arm reciprocated, the warmth of Duo's body soothing him.
 
Giving a deep sigh, Heero turned to Duo and placed a tender kiss to his lover's lips. “She's at peace and resting comfortably. Thank you, Duo.”
 
Duo couldn't answer, the lump in his throat too big for words to get past so he nodded instead.
 
“Would you mind if I asked Treize and Otto to stay for a coffee?”
 
“Heero, you don't have to ask, they're more than welcome,” Duo whispered back.
 
“I know, but...”
 
“Shhh... Ask them, I think we could both do with the company.”
 
Heero gave a soft smile and stole another kiss. “I love you, Duo, with all my heart and soul. What did I ever do to deserve someone as wonderful as you?”
 
“I think I should be asking that question,” Duo replied, a teary look in his eye. “I love you too, Heero.”
 
Arms still wrapped around each other, they began to walk back to the stables and their visitors.
 
* * *
 
Once Treize and Otto had left, Heero washed the used mugs through while Duo attended a call out to a dog that had somehow cut itself badly and required stitching. Whilst Duo was out, Heero decided to make the phone calls they'd both been dreading; the one to Quatre, Trowa and Catherine, the other to Hilde.
 
Walking through to the lounge room, Heero managed to compose himself and picked up the receiver. He dialed Trowa's number and waited for the call to connect.
 
“Barton Animal Refuge,” came Trowa's voice down the line.
 
“Trowa, it's Heero.”
 
“Heero? Oh, hi, what can I do for you?” Trowa was a little puzzled as to why Heero would be calling him, usually it was Duo who rang and only if there was something that needed attending to. The tone in Heero's voice also alerted Trowa that this was no ordinary call.
 
“Is Quatre there?” Heero asked.
 
“Yes, he is. Did you wish to speak to him?”
 
“Actually, what I have to say concerns both of you.”
 
“Ah, okay. I'll go get him then, just a moment.” Trowa was even more puzzled now, but dutifully went to fetch the blonde Inspector.
 
Quatre was equally as curious as to what Heero could be calling about and not getting any answers from Trowa who was just as much in the dark, he could only hope that there wasn't anything wrong with Duo. “I hope Duo is all right,” Quatre said as he walked towards the phone with his tall lover.
 
“Me too,” Trowa replied.
 
“I'm here and so is Trowa,” Quatre said down the line as he picked up the receiver and balanced it between them. “What's up, Heero? Is everything okay? Duo's all right, isn't he?”
 
Taking a deep breath, Heero began to speak. “Duo's fine, he's on a call out right now, but I'm afraid I have some sad news.”
 
“Oh.” Quatre's mind was racing, trying to think of what could possibly have happened.
 
“It's Scythe...”
 
“Scythe?” both men said.
 
“Yes. Last night... Scythe, she wasn't looking too well. Duo checked her over and she... It was her heart.” Heero managed to choke out the words, although not how he would have liked them to come out.
 
“Was?” whispered Quatre. He had an idea of what was coming and he knew he wasn't going to like it.
 
“Scythe, her heart was failing. She had... She had a couple of heart attacks.” Heero paused for a moment, drawing on all his inner strength. “There wasn't anything Duo could do. I'm afraid... she's gone, Quatre; Scythe's gone...” The words trailed off as Heero gave a couple of hitched sobs.
 
“Oh, Heero. I'm so sorry,” Trowa commiserated. “We both are.”
 
Quatre couldn't speak, the news was sinking in and it was taking him a while to accept it. Scythe gone? “No,” whispered Quatre.
 
“Duo had Zechs come over to double check,” Heero managed to get out, his voice cracking as he spoke.
 
“Are you okay, Heero?” Trowa asked, his voice full of concern. Trowa's eyes flicked to Quatre who was standing there in shock.
 
“I'm - I'm doing okay.”
 
“Look, Heero. We're both really sorry to hear this. Is there anything at all we can do?” Trowa's worry for his partner was beginning to mount. Quatre still hadn't moved or said anything.
 
“Thanks for the offer, but there isn't anything. I just wanted to let you both know. Is Catherine there at all?”
 
“No, she isn't. Cathy and Hilde have gone to the movies and will be back in an hour or so. I'll pass the news on if you like?”
 
“If you don't mind, I'd be grateful. I don't think I can...”
 
“Heero, it's okay. I'll let them know. Look, if you don't mind, we'll call around later this afternoon and see how you're doing.”
 
“I'd like that, Trowa. Thank you.”
 
“We will see you a bit later then.” Trowa cut the call, his own heart shattered at the thought of the lovely mare no longer with them all. Turning, he stared at his lover who was still standing there, tears starting to fall from blue eyes as he came to terms with the news.
 
Warm arms enveloped his slender form and Quatre sank into them. His head found Trowa's shoulder and he let the emotion burst forth, tears flowing unchecked as he held onto his lover.
 
“Scythe,” he moaned as he cried for the mare.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
 
[1] Bobcat: This is a sort of front end loader, only on a much smaller scale. They are used in the same way as their larger cousins but for smaller jobs. http://www.communityguide.com.au/upload_images/level_1_images_small/bobcat1 .jpg