Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 64 ( Chapter 64 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
 
Chapter 64
 
The following morning saw Duo's predictions for Symphony come true. The mare's legs had swollen up overnight and she was completely lame. Heero had put the other horses out in the paddocks and given them their breakfasts before returning to help Duo with the patient. The mare was led slowly to the crush where the bandages were removed for Duo to take a good look at how the wounds were.
 
Despite the swelling, the wounds were clean and looked healthy enough. Duo gave her another shot of penicillin whilst Heero fetched the hose. With Duo holding the hose and running it over the legs to ease the swelling, Heero finished off the stable duties and made up a feed for Symphony. Once the legs were dry, Duo re-bandaged them and led the mare back to the stable and her breakfast.
 
With the horses and stable work all finished, they went back to the house to have their own breakfast and get ready for the day ahead. Heero headed for Treize's whilst Duo went to the surgery to open up for morning consults.
 
The Roberts' rang and Duo gave them an update on Symphony's condition, Kelly was especially pleased with the information and asked if she could drop around that afternoon after school to see her horse. Duo agreed and a time was set.
 
Over the following three days, Symphony continued to improve, the swelling started to go down and she recovered from her lameness. Duo was pleased with the recovery and called the Roberts' to collect the mare. They came that afternoon with the float and grateful thanks to Duo for all he'd done.
 
Heero had come home from work and made sure he was around in case they needed a hand to get the mare on the float. No one knew how she would react seeing as her last trip had caused her a great deal of pain and could have ended in a tragedy.
 
Kelly put a new set of floating boots on her horse over the bandages and then proceeded to lead the mare out to the float. Symphony hesitated at the ramp for a moment, but with kind words and coaxing with a little food, she walked calmly inside. All present breathed a sigh of relief. It seemed the mare had a very forgiving nature.
 
With the mare safely back on the float, Duo handed over the remaining penicillin, syringes and needles to Mrs Roberts. He explained the dosage and how long the course still had to run. He also handed over a letter for the Roberts' to give to their usual vet. In it he'd outlined his diagnosis, what he'd done and the treatment he'd prescribed. Under the Veterinary code of practice one vet could not treat another vet's patient without that vet's consent, unless it was an emergency. Duo was well aware of this rule, having already received a reprimand of sorts from the board for when he gave Taurus a strong painkiller and he didn't particularly want a repeat, even though the owner, Treize had asked for it and Zechs had later sent his own letter to the board in support of Duo's actions at the time.
 
He had already contacted the mare's vet surgery and spoken to the receptionist over the phone, now he'd completed the paperwork so all was well as far as the treating of the animal went.
 
With everything concluded and Duo confirming that the bill would be sent out at the end of the month, the Roberts' left.
 
The following day Duo had a phone call from a Doctor Garrison, Symphony's usual vet to thank him kindly for all he'd done for the mare and to praise Duo's stitching job. Duo was quite flattered by the praise and thanked his colleague for calling. He was on cloud nine for the rest of the day.
 
* * *
 
The final show for qualifying for the Olympics where the selectors would be in attendance was fast approaching. Shini was jumping superbly, having notched up several more wins and placings at various shows and Heero was further encouraged by the gray's enthusiasm. The day before the show saw Heero and Duo back out in the stables and going through their usual routine of organizing the gear they would need to take, Heero fetching it all out and piling it up, whilst Duo ended up putting about a third of it back and packing the rest up to try and squash in the car.
 
Shinigami needed a wash too as he'd rolled in a particularly dirty spot in the paddock and was covered in grass stains and sand. Heero put him in the crush and began the task of 'shampooing' his horse whilst Duo watched from the side.
 
Shini wasn't all that impressed with his 'bath' and quite frankly, Duo couldn't blame him. He wouldn't fancy being scrubbed clean like that either; not that Heero was rough or anything with his washing of the stallion. Heero used a soft sponge with the special horse shampoo squeezed on it and gently massaged all of the gray's coat, getting the dirt out and leaving the horse completely clean.
 
“He smells like a poodle parlor,” Duo commented with a snicker as he handed Heero the scraper he'd asked for.
 
“No he doesn't,” Heero growled.
 
“Poor Shini. You don't smell like a big, macho stallion anymore,” Duo consoled as he petted the gray neck. “Don't worry, I'm sure the fillies will all still want to ogle you; probably even more so when they get a whiff of you, they're gonna be trying to figure out if you're a horse or a flower.”
 
“He smells just fine,” Heero sniffed and continued to remove the excess water from the animal's coat.
 
“Are you going to be wearing complimenting cologne?” Duo couldn't resist teasing a little.
 
“Why not? Then all the females can ogle me,” Heero returned with a smirk.
 
“Eh? I thought you were gay?” Duo sounded a touch worried for a moment.
 
“I am, doesn't mean I'm not partial to a little outside attention though.” Heero couldn't help himself. Duo always seemed to get the better of him by teasing him mercilessly so it wasn't often Heero got the chance to score one back over the vet.
 
“As long as they just look but don't touch,” Duo growled and turned to his lover, wrapping his arms securely around Heero and pulling him in close. “Mine,” he stated possessively and stole a kiss.
 
“All yours, Duo,” Heero snickered.
 
“Oh, yuk! I'm all wet now,” Duo groused. Heero was pretty well soaked from washing Shini and with the close contact, a lot of that water had seeped into to Duo's clothing.
 
“I'm not complaining, the view is pretty nice from here,” Heero stated with a grin.
 
Duo looked to his white t-shirt that was just about soaked, the material becoming almost transparent.
 
“Mmmm... Very nice,” Heero purred and stroked a finger along the material and stopped to tease a nipple that peaked through the fabric with the attention.
 
“Ahhh,” moaned Duo.
 
“Hey guys, anything we can do to help?”
 
Heero immediately dropped his hand and flushed, turning back to his horse. Duo felt the blush rise on his cheeks and took a deep breath before turning around to face the owner of the voice.
 
Hilde stood at the stable entrance, a wide grin on her face. Beside her, Catherine smiled.
 
“I think we're just about finished,” Duo replied and tried to look innocent; and failed.
 
“Not interrupting anything, I hope,” Hilde continued, her grin getting wider as both she and Catherine sauntered into the stables.
 
“No, just finishing off scraping Shini down,” Heero said as he hung up the scraper and turned back to look at his clean horse. “Now, you rogue, stay clean.”
 
“Want me to walk him around to finish drying off?” Duo asked, looking for a way of escape from the teasing he knew was bound to come from Hilde.
 
“If you don't mind, that would be good. Whilst you walk him around I'll get tidied up here and put all the feeds in for tonight,” Heero replied.
 
“I'll give you a hand,” Catherine stated with a smile.
 
“Thank you.”
 
Heero and Catherine set about tidying up, putting away all the stuff Heero had been using and getting the stables ready for the occupants to come into for the evening. Duo brought Shini out of the crush and led the gray out back of the stables to walk him around. Hilde followed a short distance behind.
 
Once they were outside, Hilde joined Duo, walking beside the stallion's other shoulder. Duo scowled, he'd hoped Hilde would remain inside and help Heero and Catherine, he really wasn't feeling up to the teasing. When Hilde did speak though, it took Duo completely by surprise.
 
“Duo? Do you mind if I talk to you about something? I need some advice.” Hilde's voice was low and held a nervous edge to it.
 
“Uh, sure, Hilde. I don't know how much help I can be, but I'm willing to try. What's up?” Duo's curiosity was well aroused now.
 
“Well, I'm not really sure how to put this...”
 
Duo's blood ran cold for a moment, the thought that Hilde might be trying to tell him she was leaving the practice the only thing running through his mind. What she did say threw Duo for a loop.
 
“How did you know Heero was the one for you? What did you do to get him interested in you? To let him know you wanted more than friendship?”
 
Duo stopped dead in his tracks, Shini almost walking over the top of him. Gathering his composure, he walked on again, darting a glance from the corner of his eye at the other vet. He could see the pink tinge to Hilde's cheeks and realized how hard this must be for her. His brain scrambled for words.
 
Choosing his words carefully, Duo spoke. “I take it there's someone you're interested in?”
 
“Yeah.” Hilde lowered her eyes.
 
Duo's brain put two and two together and came up with the correct answer. “Hilde? May I be so presumptuous as to ask, is this person by chance, Catherine?”
 
Hilde looked up sharply, giving Duo his answer. “How did you guess?”
 
Duo chuckled lightly. “It wasn't all that hard. I've noticed lately how comfortable you two are together, the way your eyes light up when you speak to Catherine; not to mention the few 'dates' you've been on.”
 
“We haven't been on any dates!” Hilde replied hotly.
 
“Then what do you call going to the movies and dinner?” Duo asked with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Companionship,” Hilde replied quickly, “And that's just it, the root of the whole problem.” Hilde sighed loudly.
 
“You want it to be more than friendship, correct?”
 
“Yeah, I'm pretty sure I like Catherine as more than a friend,” Hilde replied.
 
“But she doesn't know that?”
 
“No. Hell, I'm not even sure if she likes women! Well, in the way I'm hoping she does.”
 
“Have you asked her?”
 
“What?! I couldn't.” Hilde turned her head away.
 
“Hilde, are you sure you're gay? Not that I'm doubting you, I can speak from first hand experience how difficult and confusing it can be in coming to terms with one's sexuality,” said Duo, keeping his tone soft and encouraging.
 
“Believe me, Duo, when I say I've done nothing but think about things for the past several months. I know I still like guys, that I'm attracted to them too, but I also like women, I find them softer, more understanding I guess. I've drawn the conclusion that I must be bisexual.”
 
“Nothing wrong with appreciating both sexes,” Duo said. “In my opinion, you get the best of both worlds.”
 
“Yeah, I guess you do, but that doesn't help my situation with Catherine.”
 
“No, no it doesn't. Look, when Heero and I first met I wasn't sure about him either, I didn't know if he swung my way or was straight. I dropped a few little, subtle hints here and there and waited to see what his reaction was. As it happens, he was gay, and interested. You could try the same with Catherine, see what sort of a response you get.”
 
“I suppose so.”
 
“Hilde, you could always just come right out and say; 'Hey, I'm gay and I think you're the hottest thing since sliced bread. How about we hitch up together?” That comment earned him a smack to the back of the head.
 
“Duo! Will you be serious?!”
 
Snickering quietly, Duo reined in his teasing. “If you like, I could try talking to Trowa, sort of find out from him what Catherine is like, you know, has she dated before? Does she seem to date men or women, or both? That kind of thing.”
 
“I don't know,” Hilde began. “I don't know if I trust you. You'll probably come right out and say something stupid like 'Hey Trowa, is your sister gay 'cause Hilde wants to ruin her reputation!'”
 
“Hilde! You mortally wound me with your words.” Duo placed a hand over his heart and feigned pain.
 
“You do anything to stuff this up for me, Duo and it won't be wounding with my words you'll have to worry about.”
 
Grinning, Duo faced the vet again. “I wouldn't do anything like that, Hilde. Seriously, if you are interested then all I can suggest is that you take her out somewhere nice for dinner, sit her down and try to explain to her how you feel, that you'd like more than friendship with her. Be sure to stress that if she's not comfortable with that for whatever reason, that's okay too. You can still be good friends and that rejection will not have any influence on your friendship.”
 
“You make it sound so easy,” Hilde sighed.
 
“I know it isn't easy at all. It's downright scary. Rejection is a difficult thing to deal with. But if I know Catherine, she won't be the type to hold it against you, she's a very giving person. And, if by chance she should feel the same way too, then go for it, but take things slowly, show respect for yourself and for your partner and you can't go wrong.”
 
“Thanks, Duo. I appreciate the chat and advice.” Hilde leaned over and kissed the vet's cheek.
 
“My pleasure, Hilde. I wish you all the luck in the world. I really hope it works out for you.” Duo gave a soft smile that then turned wicked as he added, “If you do shack up together then maybe we can go out on dates together, you know, the four of us? We wouldn't attract any attention that way as society would think we're two guys going out with two girls - which is correct in a sense, only in reality our partners just happen to be of the same sex.”
 
“Duo?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Shut up now before I shut you up.”
 
“Ah, okay.” Duo gave a broad grin then turned to look at Shinigami. “Guess we should take you in now, boy. You're all dry.”
 
Shini snorted and tugged on the lead rope towards the stables. He could smell dinner and he wanted his share now.
 
* * *
 
Curled up in bed that evening, Duo snuggled closer to Heero, his head resting on the rider's chest just under his chin. Heero's arms were wrapped securely around Duo's shoulders as they shared the warmth of being together.
 
“Heero?”
 
“Hai?” Heero muttered sleepily.
 
“What would you think if I told you that Hilde and Catherine might be a couple?”
 
“Huh?” Heero was wide awake now.
 
“Yeah.” Duo shifted a little and began to run his fingers in light circles over Heero's hip.
 
“How do you figure that?”
 
Duo took a breath and began to repeat what he and Hilde had talked about that afternoon. “I hope they do get together,” Duo said softly. “Catherine could seriously do with having someone to treat her right.”
 
“Hilde and Catherine...” Heero mused over the idea. “Yeah, I guess that could work. They both deserve some happiness, that's providing Catherine is interested in Hilde that way.”
 
“I dunno, but I do have a niggling feeling that Catherine cares for Hilde a lot more than she lets on.”
 
“How do you mean?”
 
“Well, I've seen the soft smiles she gives when Hilde enters the reception area, the way her eyes follow Hilde around the practice.”
 
“Looks like she could be smitten too.”
 
“Kinda reminds me of someone else,” Duo chuckled.
 
“Ah, you mean how you always seem to have your eyes glued to my ass?” Heero teased.
 
“I do not!”
 
Heero laughed and drew Duo even closer. “I know what you meant. I do follow you with my eyes, I like to know where you are and you make my life happy by being in it.” Heero placed a kiss to the top of Duo's head.
 
Duo pressed a kiss to Heero's chest. “Love you.”
 
“Love you to, Duo. Now, go to sleep, we have to get up early tomorrow for the show and I need my groom fully alert and awake.”
 
“Aye, aye, captain,” Duo snickered but obediently closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.
 
Heero took a few minutes longer, his mind processing the thought of Hilde and Catherine being a possible couple. Yes, he decided, if the pair did hook up it would benefit them both.
 
* * *
 
“Over there, Heero,” Duo said and pointed towards a belt of trees where several cars and floats were parked.
 
Heero followed Duo's directions and drove towards the trees where he spotted Treize's gooseneck parked. He found a spot just a couple of floats down and pulled in. Cutting the engine the pair got out and set about getting Shini off the float and setting up the usual water bucket, haynet and so on.
 
Once Shini was comfortable, they wandered down to Treize's gooseneck where they found Joe busily brushing the bay coat of Romeo.
 
“Hey, Joe. Treize around?” Heero asked.
 
“Hello, Heero, Duo,” Joe replied with a nod as he paused in his grooming of the bay stallion. “He should be a few floats up talking to Zoe and Michael,” Joe said with an incline of his head in the direction of several cars and floats.
 
“Is Zoe here then?” Duo asked. It would be good to see their friends again.
 
“Yeah, the boss said she would probably be competing with this being the last show the selectors are attending.”
 
“Okay. Thanks, Joe. We'll go see if we can find them. See you later,” Heero returned and set off along the line of floats, Duo beside him.
 
They soon spotted the familiar red and white of Zoe and Michael's float and found the three just at the tailgate chatting. Lionheart stood to the side, dozing lightly.
 
“Heero! Duo!” Zoe squealed and promptly enveloped each man in a bear hug. Michael opted for the more 'manly' approach and shook hands.
 
“Good to see you again, Zoe. How is married life treating you?” Heero responded with a warm smile. He had a soft spot for the woman who was more than a fellow competitor.
 
“Married life is great, Heero,” Zoe enthused. “You should try it sometime,” she added with a wink and then looked pointedly at Duo.
 
Heero was left stunned for a moment but quickly regained his composure. He wasn't sure if Zoe knew of his relationship with Duo or not, after all, they didn't go around advertising the fact. Although Relena had done some harm in the past by announcing Duo's sexual orientation to the local area, most people had either forgotten about it or accepted it. Those that weren't comfortable when they'd found out had simply taken their business elsewhere. Heero didn't know if the rumor mill had gotten as far as where Zoe lived or around the 'circuit'. As far as he knew, it hadn't which could only mean that Zoe must have figured things out for herself. By the time Heero had finished chasing the thoughts around in his head, Zoe had moved on and greeted Duo. He made a mental note to ask her exactly what she'd meant with those words later on.
 
“Have any of you been to collect your numbers or walk the course yet?” Duo asked after the pleasantries had all been exchanged.
 
“No. We were about to head in that direction when Treize arrived,” Michael stated. “But then we got chatting.”
 
“We've only just arrived so maybe we can all go together,” Heero suggested.
 
“Sounds good to me,” Zoe said. “I don't know if the course will be open yet or not though.”
 
“Only one way to find out, and that's to go see. Everyone ready?” Treize asked.
 
“Lead on,” Duo quipped.
 
“Leaving without me?”
 
All five suddenly whirled around with the spoken words to find Zechs standing there, hands on his hips and a grin on his face.
 
Treize's face immediately lit up. “Zechs!” he breathed. “I didn't know you were coming.”
 
“And miss out on the final qualifying show? You should know me better than that,” Zechs teased.
 
“This is great!” Duo chuckled. “The whole gang is here.”
 
“Then we'd better make a good showing in the ring,” Heero stated with a smirk.
 
“Yeah, can't let the support crew down,” Zoe quipped.
 
“I hate to tell you both this, but first place is already a foregone conclusion,” Treize said with a smile.
 
“Really?” Zoe replied with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Yeah, Heero's already got it in the bag.” Duo jumped in on the friendly bantering.
 
“I think a certain little Lion and myself might have something to say about that,” Zoe returned.
 
“And therein lies your problem, my dear. All talk and no action,” Treize teased.
 
“I'll show you no action,” Zoe growled and grabbed the wet sponge that was sitting on the wheel hub of the float. She promptly dived at Treize, intent on shoving the sponge down the back of his shirt, but Treize was quicker and dodged out of her way.
 
“Are they always like this?” Zechs asked as he raised a pale eyebrow, his mouth quirked up in a grin as he watched his lover being chased around several floats.
 
“Nah, sometimes they're worse,” Michael snickered.
 
“I suggest we leave the children to play and go get our numbers and see when the course is open for walking,” said Heero as he watched the fun.
 
“Good idea,” Michael returned. “I'm sure they will tire of their juvenile antics soon enough.”
 
Chuckling, the four began to walk off in the direction of the secretary's tent, the other two joining them after a couple of minutes.
 
* * *
 
“It's a tough one,” Duo commented softly as he and Heero stood by jump four A, the first part of the double.
 
“Yes, it is,” Heero replied as he looked back over the course, memorizing it. It was pretty simple and straightforward from the first fence to the double, after that it got a little tricky.
 
“What do you think?” Zoe asked as she and Michael walked over to the pair. Treize was pacing out the strides between the three elements of the triple.
 
“It's not going to be easy to go clear,” Heero replied.
 
“No, it's not,” Michael agreed.
 
“It's a hard course that's going to take some real riding skills,” Treize said as he joined the rest of the group.
 
“We were just saying that,” Zoe chuckled.
 
“It's a fairly tight turn form the double to jump five, but six and seven flow okay,” Heero said as he looked back at those particular jumps.
 
“Eight and nine aren't too bad, but watch yourself coming off seven, that triple will take a lot out of your horse as there's only one stride between each element. You'll need to re-balance and gather impulsion to clear eight successfully,” Treize advised.
 
“Tight turn from ten to eleven too,” Zoe muttered.
 
“Should be okay if you go the slightly longer route and pass around four A instead of ducking in between the elements A and B,” Michael said. “It's a generous time allowed so you shouldn't score any time penalties,” he added.
 
“Oh well, guess we will all know soon enough,” Zoe replied cheerfully.
 
“I'm going to go start warming Shinigami up,” Heero announced and with one last look at the course, he began to walk towards the exit, Duo following.
 
* * *
 
Shini felt fresh and eager beneath him, Heero having to keep his full concentration on the gray at all times. Zero had been lovely horse to ride and compete on and Shini was no different in that respect. However, Shini also seemed to possess a little more spring to his jump than his sire. It was during these last six months that Heero had finally begun to realize and see for himself what both Duo and Treize had been telling him all along.
 
That Shini had the ability to go far and be a top jumper.
 
Shini had inherited his sire's jumping ability and will to win, but he'd also inherited a slightly better conformation too - a combination of both Scythe and Zero's better points - and that gave him that little bit more than his sire.
 
With Shinigami finally settling down and working properly, Heero was able to let part of his focus drift to see how Zoe and Treize were faring in their warm up.
 
Romeo was being a bit of a handful for Treize, although to anyone simply watching he was working nicely, but to Heero, or anyone else with a fair knowledge of horses, it was clear that Treize was using all his riding skills to keep the stallion working forward.
 
Lionheart was his usual, stoic self, calmly working around and listening to his mistress as she asked for various things from him.
 
Heero smiled to himself as he watched Lion softening his back muscles, lowering his head and neck and bringing his hindquarters right underneath himself.
 
With their warm ups on the flat complete, the three rode over to the practice jumps and each put their mount over a few times. Zechs, Duo and Joe all watched from the side whilst Michael stood with the riders and offered advice and help wherever he could.
 
The commentator's voice boomed out over the public address system announcing that the A grade championship Table AM 3 competition would be starting in ten minutes and for all competitors to present to the marshaling area.
 
Heero rode over to where Duo was standing, the other two riders joining him and the grooms checked their respective mounts, making sure that girths were tight and all was well with both horse and rider.
 
Heero dismounted and walked beside Duo towards the marshaling area, Shini happy at his master's side.
 
“Don't go taking any risks out there, Heero,” Duo murmured quietly and wished he could take Heero's hand in his.
 
“I'll be careful, but this is my last chance to impress the selectors,” Heero replied with a warm smile.
 
“I know and believe me, with yours and Shini's recent track record, there isn't any way they are going to miss you. You'll impress them alright, you'll knock their socks off!”
 
“I hope so, Duo. I really hope so,” Heero muttered under his breath.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...