Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 65 ( Chapter 65 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 65
 
The class had attracted a lot of entries, from those who were out to impress the selectors and possibly be included in the Olympic team, to other hopefuls, ones that were trying to catch the selectors eye for possible inclusion in future international teams. In total there were twenty-five entries, Zoe was eleventh to jump, Treize fourteenth and Heero twenty-first.
 
Knowing there would be a bit of a wait before he was called to jump, Heero took Shini back to the float so he could rest up. Leaving the saddle on but loosening the girth, Duo removed the bridle and replaced it with the halter whilst Heero put Shini's light, cotton rug on over the top of the saddle to keep the stallion from getting cold. He would watch several other riders tackle the course and come back for Shini after Treize's round. That would give him enough time to warm Shini up again.
 
Returning to the ring, Michael informed them that three riders had already jumped and none had gone clear. If they hadn't scored penalties at the double or jump five, it was jump eight that was proving to be the bugbear.
 
Heero had commented on the importance of keeping the impulsion and balance from the double to five whilst Treize reiterated his thoughts on the turn and line from the triple - seven to eight.
 
Several more riders went through and each similarly came to grief at some part of the course. The first clear round came with the ninth rider, someone that none of the others knew or had seen before. They were obviously in tune with their horse and rode carefully; but rather slowly.
 
“They will need to go a bit faster in the jump off if they want to win,” Duo muttered, his eyes following the horse and rider as they exited the ring. He'd been almost frustrated at times with the slowness of the round.
 
“Just as well there is a generous time allowed otherwise they would have had several time penalties,” Heero mused.
 
The tenth rider had entered the ring and was currently on course, so far all clear.
 
“Zoe's next,” Duo said softly as he looked around to see where the woman was and pass on his best wishes for a successful round. He spotted her just to the side of the ring entry, walking Lionheart around and keeping him warm. The pair made their way over, following just slightly behind Michael.
 
“Certainly is proving to be difficult course,” Zoe said as the three came up beside her.
 
“You'll be fine,” Michael stated with a warm smile. “Just keep your mind on the job and retain the impulsion. Lion here could do this with his eyes closed.”
 
“I hope he doesn't,” Duo snickered.
 
“Baka!” Heero gave his partner a smack up the back of the head.
 
The clattering of poles interrupted their banter and all eyes turned to the ring where the tenth rider had just sent the poles on parts B and C of the triple flying. They completed the rest of the course without further faults and exited to the commentator's announcement of 'eight faults'.
 
“Good luck, Zoe,” Heero and Duo both offered.
 
“Give it your best shot,” Treize called out.
 
“Thanks, guys,” Zoe called back and then quickly accepted a kiss from her husband before entering the arena.
 
As Zoe rode to salute the judge, the five men watching from the collecting ring all felt their adrenaline begin to flow.
 
The bell rang, Zoe rode for the start flags and then they were away. Lion flew over the first three jumps, his ears cocked and looking for more. Zoe remembered the turn that would follow four and sat down in her saddle, collecting the horse up and riding him forward.
 
“Good girl,” Michael muttered as he watched his wife clear part A and then sail over part B. “Get him together, that's it, steady...”
 
Zoe's concentration was completely on what lay ahead, she applied her seat and leg, holding the reins firmly and pushing her horse together. Lionheart responded, his energy compounding and waiting to be unleashed. Three strides away Zoe let the horse go forward and Lion bounded forth and cleared five with inches to spare.
 
“She's doing really well,” Treize mused. “I knew I made the right decision when she approached me about buying Lion.”
 
“He couldn't have gone to a better home,” Heero agreed
 
“She's done a lot with him,” Duo added.
 
“I have to admit, I'm impressed with the type of stock you have and the ground work you put into them, Treize,” Michael stated with a smile, although his eyes never left the woman in the ring.
 
“Heero's the one that did all the work on him so he's the one you should be thanking,” Treize replied.
 
“He was an easy horse to teach,” Heero said with a slight blush to his cheeks.
 
“You know, it's really nice to see the camaraderie amongst all you horse people; even though you're all competing against each other, you are still looking out for one another,” Zechs interjected with a smile.
 
“Ah, welcome to the equine world of competition,” Treize said with a grin.
 
“Uh oh, it's the triple next,” Heero said, drawing their attention back to the ring.
 
“Steady, Lion. This one is a real doozy,” Zoe said to her horse.
 
Lion cocked an ear back, eyes still fixed firmly on the jump ahead and waiting for his mistress' instructions. He was enjoying himself. The jumps weren't all that difficult to him, well, not when he had a sympathetic rider on his back.
 
Keeping a light contact, Zoe rode her bay at the triple, seat and legs working to keep the stallion balanced whilst her hands held the energy in check. Lion drove his hindquarters underneath and soared over part A, he touched down and took a couple of strides before once more becoming airborne. Part B was also cleared in Lion's effortless style and the pair were rapidly approaching part C. Using her legs to push Lion's hindquarters underneath him again, Zoe re-balanced and then gave her horse his head as they launched over part C.
 
“Yes!” Michael cheered, careful to keep his voice low.
 
Lionheart continued on around the course, jump eight posing no problems, fences nine, ten and eleven also being cleared.
 
“One to go,” Heero muttered.
 
Michael had his hand over his mouth, his other arm across his stomach as he held his breath. He had no doubts as to his wife's riding skills or the horse underneath her; but he still couldn't help but worry every time they competed. It was only natural he should be concerned for his spouse's safety, it was a common thing amongst those whose 'other halves' competed whilst they were left to watch and play the part of support crew.
 
A squeeze to his shoulder and the following words, “She's doing great,” had him turning to look into Duo's violet eyes. In them he could read the sincerity, understanding and concern.
 
“Thanks,” Michael responded.
 
“Don't worry about it, I know exactly how you're feeling. It isn't easy being the one to stand on the sidelines whilst they're out there taking all the risks.”
 
“It never really bothered me before,” Michael replied. “I know the risks, I've watched her jump and compete so many times, hell, I'm so used to doing it myself.”
 
“But it's slightly different now, you're married and you have a commitment to each other. That will always be in the back of your mind. It doesn't mean you don't want them to compete, take the risks - it just shows you care very much for them.”
 
“You're a wise person, Doctor Maxwell,” Michael said and smiled at the vet.
 
“Nah, just someone who is in the same position so knows what it is you're going through,” Duo replied with a soft smile of his own, his eyes flicking to where Heero stood.
 
A light bulb went off in Michael's head then and he looked from the vet to the other rider and back again. As the realization dawned on him he began to understand how difficult this must be for the pair. At least he could hold his wife in his arms and kiss her when her round was over; his friends couldn't even do that. He placed his hand on Duo's arm and gave a nod of understanding. “You're a good friend,” he said simply and then dropping his hand, turned his attention back to the ring and his wife.
 
Duo breathed a soft sigh of relief. He'd taken a huge risk in hinting at his and Heero's relationship, but he was glad he had. Michael and Zoe were good friends - even more so now that Duo knew his relationship with Heero was accepted.
 
Zoe checked the stallion, drawing his attention back to her and settling him a touch. Focused completely on the last fence, she took her time and set the horse up properly, bringing him in on the perfect striding and giving him every possible chance to clear the jump.
 
Lion did.
 
He sailed over the jump with inches to spare, landed and then galloped through the finish flags to the cheering of the crowd and the commentator's announcement of 'Clear round!'.
 
The grin on Zoe's face went from ear to ear as she settled her horse and rode out of the ring and back to her husband and friends. She patted and praised the bay as she walked out and into the congratulations of those that were waiting.
 
Graciously accepting the congratulations, Zoe beamed at everyone. “He was a good boy, wasn't he?” she said of her horse as she dismounted and was swept into the arms of her husband and kissed passionately.
 
“How was the course?” both Treize and Heero asked. Sharing that information could be a big help to those still waiting to compete.
 
Zoe gave them the run down on the course itself, confirming what they'd all thought when walking it earlier, jumps four to five and seven to eight were the ones to be careful of. Leaving the pair to go and settle Lion back at their float, Heero, Duo, Treize and Zechs were joined by Joe who had been leading Romeo around.
 
Treize took his horse from the groom and mounted up, leaving the group to go warm up in readiness for his turn to jump.
 
The twelfth rider had four faults and the thirteenth rider looked to be having a few problems with the course as well, although so far they were clear.
 
“Is it my imagination or do they look like they're at war with each other?” Zechs asked as he watched the current combination in the ring.
 
The groups' attention went back to the pair on course and studied them intently.
 
“They aren't working together,” Heero announced. “The horse doesn't seem comfortable with his rider for some reason.”
 
“Any idea why?”
 
“It could be a number of things. His back might be out, he could be having muscular problems or the jumps could be too difficult for him. It takes time to develop a trust between horse and rider and that trust is very fragile. If the rider has asked for more than the horse is capable of, or not yet ready to give, then they will find themselves with a trust issue. It looks to me like the horse isn't ready quite yet for this level of competition.”
 
“But surely they wouldn't have been upgraded if they weren't successful in the lower grades?” Duo questioned.
 
“That's correct. However, when you are upgraded, there are many shows you can take your horse to that don't have courses that are as difficult or demanding as this one. They still conform to the rule book in regards to height, width etc, but this course is a difficult one as it's one they're using for selection.”
 
“Ah, I see,” Duo replied. He could understand what Heero was saying and it made sense.
 
“There you go,” Joe muttered and nodded to the ring where the horse in question had just given his rider two refusals at jump ten which meant they were eliminated.
 
There was a smattering of applause as the rider exited, a disappointed look on his face and then it was Treize's turn. Zoe and Michael made it back just as Treize had finished his salute and was heading for the start flags.
 
Treize started off well, keeping his horse to a steady canter and allowing the bay room to move but not lose his cadence. They passed through the flags and sailed over jump one. Fences two and three were similarly cleared and then they were on line for jump four: the double.
 
Treize shortened his reins and rode the big bay together. Romeo's long legs were eating up the ground and whilst he'd matured and gained a lot of experience, he still needed constant riding together to keep him balanced, it was just the type of horse he was.
 
Given the long stride of his mount, Treize had opted to let the bay stride out a little, still keeping the impulsion and hopefully take one, long stride between part A and B as opposed to the two shorter ones most other riders were taking. Romeo found it much easier to lengthen his stride out than to shorten it, so Treize went with what suited his horse best.
 
They came into jump four perfectly, Romeo sitting well back on his hocks and driving himself into the air. They landed clean and safe, Treize riding the horse forward. The bay stood back from the second element and with a grunt, flew into the air. His body made a beautiful arc over the fence and landed safely on the other side. A murmur of approval went up from the crowd.
 
“Good boy, Romeo,” Treize praised the stallion and then took control again. He settled the horse, driving the energy together underneath and containing it as he made the turn from four B to jump five. Romeo never hesitated, listening carefully to his master and allowing the man to place him exactly where the best point would be.
 
Hind legs strained as they pushed the large body up and over the poles. Forelegs reached out and took the force of impact on landing, hind legs following and pushing the horse away from another clean jump.
 
“So far, so good,” Duo muttered and caught a glimpse of Zechs out the corner of his eye. The other vet was looking a little pale, but as yet hadn't reached the fingernail biting stage. Duo snickered to himself with that thought and then turned his attention back to Treize in the ring.
 
Having cleared jump six, the pair were on course for the triple. Using half halts to slow Romeo down and build the impulsion, Treize kept the stallion in check until they were three strides away. Letting his hands slide a fraction up the neck, Treize followed with his body weight, coming forward, up and slightly out of his saddle as the horse made the last two strides and then launched into the air.
 
They sailed over part A, landed and Treize urged the horse on. One, long stride and they were soaring into the air again. This time when they landed, Treize took up a firmer contact with Romeo's mouth and drove the animal together with his legs. Romefeller took two strides as opposed to the usual three and then shot into the air again, gliding over part C and landing cleanly.
 
“I can't bear to watch,” Zechs muttered as he began to nibble on a fingernail.
 
“Is it my imagination or is it a trait amongst support crew to chew their fingernails?” Michael asked with a chuckle, observing the pale haired vet with amusement.
 
“You wait, you'll be doing it too soon enough,” Duo returned and made a mental note to put his hands in his pockets when Heero was jumping.
 
Zechs gave a guilty look and quickly stuffed his hands in his jacket pockets.
 
Romeo came in perfectly balanced to jump eight and cleared it with ease. Nine, ten and eleven followed and all that remained between them and a clear round was jump twelve.
 
“Easy,” Treize soothed as Romeo fought for his head. Keeping the rein firm, Treize eyed up the last jump and adjusted his horse's stride accordingly. Romeo checked, gathered himself together and then dug his hind hooves into the turf as he pushed his body into the air and over the final fence.
 
Zechs closed his eyes and held his breath, only opening them when he heard the sound of thudding hooves returning to earth.
 
Clearing the last obstacle, Treize aimed for the finish flags and gave Romeo his head. The big bay stretched out, his long legs eating up the distance and passing quickly through the flags.
 
“Clear round!” came the commentator's voice.
 
Treize patted the bay neck, praising the horse as he aimed for the exit, his lover and his friends.
 
“Way to go, Treize!” Duo congratulated.
 
“That was a good round, Treize,” Heero commented.
 
“Lovely riding,” Zechs said with a smile and the promise in his eyes of better riding to come later.
 
“That's two of you through to the jump off. Now it's up to you, Heero,” Michael stated calmly.
 
“I'll give it my best shot,” Heero replied.
 
“Wouldn't it be great if we all tied for first place?” Zoe said dreamily.
 
“Somehow I don't think that's going to happen,” Michael replied with a chuckle.
 
“Why not?”
 
“The odds of all three of you going clear and in the same time in the jump off are pretty staggering,” her husband replied with a grin. “Although it would be a first.”
 
“Yeah, but it's still a nice thought.”
 
“That it is.”
 
* * *
 
“How is he feeling?” Duo asked as Heero finished his loosening up of Shini and they walked back to the collecting ring.
 
“Fresh, eager and raring to go,” Heero replied with a grin.
 
“Good.”
 
The pair entered the collecting ring, the nineteenth rider was almost finished and the twentieth waiting by the entry. Heero let the marshal know he was there and then rode to join everyone else and find out what had happened in his absence.
 
Treize reported that so far there were four riders through to the jump off. The ninth rider, Zoe, himself and rider eighteen.
 
The current competitor came out with twelve faults and the next went in. Treize took a moment to speak with Heero and reconfirm that he would need to have Shini together and listening to him for the turns between jumps four and five, seven and eight. Treize also reminded Heero that even when they'd got over the tough part of the course, not to let his attention wander as the remaining jumps, although straight forward enough, would still need riding at.
 
Heero nodded, fully aware that many riders made that mistake, thinking they'd gotten the hard part out of the way successfully only to relax and make a mistake at the easier fences. Seemed the current rider was about to make that mistake.
 
All eyes watched as Michael spoke. “He needs to get his horse together more or he's not going to make it.”
 
The chestnut in the ring had cleared the course so far and was approaching jump eleven. It was an easy enough gate, but the rider wasn't pushing his horse together, more like sitting there and enjoying the ride, letting his horse go at his own pace - and that could be costly.
 
The chestnut lengthened out and took off over the gate, but as predicted, he didn't have enough spring left to clear it and caught it with his hind legs, sending it crashing to the ground. After that the rider appeared to pull themselves together and rode the horse for the remainder of the course, clearing the last jump.
 
“Four faults. Rider twenty-one; Heero Yuy on Shinigami.”
 
“Good luck, Heero,” chorused everyone as Heero gathered up his reins.
 
“Knock them dead, Heero,” Duo said softly and gave his lover's calf a squeeze.
 
“Love you,” Heero mouthed and then turned his horse to enter the ring.
 
Zoe saw the tender exchange and her face lit up with a wide smile. She was even more convinced now that the pair were a couple, but she wouldn't say anything, at least not until they all had some measure of privacy.
 
Heero rode towards the judge, casting his eyes over the course once more as he rode between the jumps to where the judge sat. He saluted and took up the contact, turning Shini to head for the start. The bell rang and everything else faded into the background.
 
“This is going to be a tough one, Shini,” Heero murmured softly and Shini cocked back an ear. “I need you to be a good boy, listen to my aids and give me your best.”
 
Shinigami tossed his head and gave a snort. He could see all the jumps around him and knew what he was there for - now all he wanted to do was jump! He eased forward into the canter and tossed in a small buck to let his master know he was ready for anything.
 
Heero gave a soft laugh and sat the buck with ease. Shortening his reins, a grim, determined look came over his features and they passed through the start flags.
 
Back in the collecting ring, Duo was nervously shifting his weight from one foot to the other, doing his best to keep his hands in his pockets, or at least away from his mouth.
 
Shinigami settled into a steady canter, ears pricked as he lined up the first fence. He popped over it easily and fought lightly against the restraining hands, eager to continue jumping.
 
“Steady, Shini. There's a lot of fences to jump and some are tricky,” Heero soothed.
 
Jump two was upon them and again, Shini cleared it with room to spare. Jump three followed and then they were turning left to come into the double. Dropping his weight down into the saddle, Heero rode the stallion together, keeping the energy contained between his hand and leg. As part A began to loom before them, Heero eased forward, still keeping his legs on the horse and holding the energy at bay. Moments later he unleashed the power and Shinigami soared into the air, clearing part A and landing safely. Heero was immediately there, checking the speed and setting the horse up for the two strides and then part B.
 
Grunting softly, Shini gathered himself together, pushed off with powerful hindquarters and sailed over part B. His forelegs came out and absorbed the shock of landing, hind end following and powering the animal away from the double. Heero sat deep again, checking and rebalancing to turn his horse left and approach jump five.
 
They met fence five dead center, muscles rippling as Shinigami leapt into the air again and cleared yet another fence.
 
“That's one out the way. Keep it together, Heero,” Duo muttered under his breath.
 
“They're doing really well,” Zoe said softly.
 
“I can't believe how much that horse has improved since I last saw him,” Michael added. “He's a credit to Heero.”
 
“He's put in a lot of hard work,” Duo returned, eyes still glued to the pair in the ring as they cleared jump six.
 
“And it shows,” Michael said. “He really deserves to be on the Olympic team.”
 
Duo declined to say anything further - he'd always thought Heero deserved to be included in the Olympic team, maybe now he would get his chance.
 
“Nasty triple coming up, boy. Then we have a sharp right turn to jump eight,” Heero warned his horse.
 
The gray didn't understand a word he said of course, but he could pick up on the tone and knew this one was important. His ears swiveled back and forth, body finely tuned to Heero's slightest shift in weight or pressure of leg.
 
Lining up his take off point, Shinigami reached for it, drove his hind legs right underneath and took off over part A. He landed safe and took two strides before launching again into the air and over part B. As soon as his front hooves bit into the turf, his master was there, hands, seat and legs driving him together, pushing the impulsion into his hindquarters where it would be needed the most. Part C sat before them, the gray digging in deep and flying into the air. They seemed to hover for a moment before gravity reclaimed them and pulled the gray back to earth.
 
“He's safely over,” Zechs said beside Duo who had closed his eyes, unable to watch.
 
“Thanks.” Duo reopened his eyes and took a deep breath. Not far to go now.
 
Immediately Shini was back on the ground, Heero was there, checking the speed, building the impulsion and changing the direction. The stallion listened and made a beautiful turn, his stride not missing a beat as they approached jump eight.
 
Once again they cleared the fence and were motoring on for the remaining jumps.
 
“All he needs to do is keep focused,” Treize whispered.
 
Duo nodded, eyes still trained on the gray and his rider.
 
Jumps nine, ten and eleven all flashed underneath Shinigami's belly, the gate and poles of the jumps remaining upright. There only remained jump twelve and they would be home clear.
 
“Last one, Shini. Let's give it our best, shall we?” Heero muttered to his horse and concentrated on clearing the final jump.
 
Muscles strained in gray hindquarters, forelegs tucked up tight against the body and Shini was airborne once more. Those forelegs unfurled, taking the weight of landing and then moving forward to leave the jump still standing behind them. Heero leaned forward and gave the gray his head, urging him on towards the finish flags. Shinigami flattened out, his legs flashing beneath him as he shot forth like a bullet from a gun and through the finish.
 
“Clear round!” came the commentator's voice.
 
“Yes!” Duo punched the air.
 
“That's great!” Zoe enthused.
 
“This will make for a very interesting jump off,” Treize mused.
 
Heero managed to bring his horse back to a steady canter, not without protest from the stallion though who was quite enjoying the impromptu gallop. With Shini back under control, Heero located the exit and rode towards it, his eyes alighting on the excited forms of his lover and their friends.
 
“Well done, Heero,” came the congratulations from all concerned.
 
“He's a much more mature and educated jumper than when I last saw him,” Michael said. “He's a credit to you and your skills.”
 
“Thank you,” Heero replied, blushing a little.
 
“That was a really good round, Heero,” Treize stated.
 
“I'm sure you have impressed the selectors,” Zoe added.
 
“I hope so,” Heero replied and dismounted. Duo was beside him, hands busy loosening the girth once Heero was on the ground.
 
The attention left Heero as their friends all turned back to the ring to see how the remaining riders fared, leaving the pair alone for a moment.
 
“Let's take him back to the float to rest a bit before the jump off,” Duo suggested.
 
“Good idea,” Heero responded.
 
They led the gray back to the float where Duo again removed the bridle whilst Heero left the saddle on and tossed the light, summer rug over the horse to keep him warm. With the horse comfortable, Duo managed to pull Heero into the horse float for a brief moment and kissed his lover soundly.
 
“Mmmm... That's nice,” Heero murmured as he was let up for air.
 
“Heero, you were fantastic out there. I'm sure the selectors have noticed you.” Duo pressed another kiss to Heero's lips.
 
“All I can do is hope they have. I'll need to put up a good showing in the jump off though, just to be sure.”
 
“You will, Heero. I know you will.” Duo leaned in and kissed Heero again, this time with a hunger born of need, desire and passion. By the time they broke apart, Heero was flushed and panting; and just a little uncomfortable in his nether regions.
 
“I think we should get back to the collecting ring before I throw you down in here and have my wicked way with you,” Heero panted.
 
“Might be an idea,” Duo mused. “I don't think it would go down too well with the selectors if we were arrested for having sex in the horse float.”
 
Heero snorted. “No, it wouldn't. Love you,” he added.
 
“Love you too, Heero,” Duo replied. “Come on, time to return to the real world.”
 
The pair left the float and headed back to the collecting ring.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...